OF ORANGE COUNTY, VT.
OF THE TOWN OF
RANDOLPH lies in the western part of the county, in latitude 43°
56r and longitude 4° 25', and is bounded north by Brookfield, east
by Tunbridge, south by Bethel, in Windsor county, and west by Braintree.
The territory now included within the limits of this town has been twice
granted. On the 22d of January, 1770, letters patent were issued by Lieutenant-Governor
Cadwallader COLDEN, then acting-governor of New York, for the township
of Middlesex, the township containing 35,000 acres, including not only
what is now known as Randolph, but also a great part of Bethel, in Windsor
county. In May, 1778, a company consisting of twenty persons was formed
at Dresden (now Hanover, N. H.,) for the purpose of purchasing this township,
and they subscribed to the following covenant:
The foregoing covenant being signed, the following votes were then
Subscribers, hereby mutually agree to Purchase that part of Middlesex in
the State of Vermont, (so called,) which is not included in the township
of Bethel, viz., the northerly part of the Township formally called Middlesex,
adjoining to the northerly line of Said Bethel, and abutting to the Western
End of Tunbridge, and to bear our Equal Proportion in the Cost and Expense
of the Same. And we hereby Covenant to Acquiesce in, and abide by, the
Votes and resolves of the Major part of us, or the future Proprietors in
the meeting or meetings of the Said Proprietors, regularly warned and convened,
from time to time, to Transact the affairs of said Middlesex as we may
hereafter agree. --
our hands at Dresden, this 19th day of May, 1778.
MARSH, David WOODWARD, John ORDWAY, Joel MARSH, John SLOAN, John PAWN,
Joshua HINDEE, Simeon CURTISS, John PAWN, Jr., Abel MARSH, Zenas COLEMAN,
Jehiel WOODWARD, Elijah MASON, Aaron STORRS, Joseph MARSH, Jr., Elisha
MARSH, Comfort SEVER, John HOUSE, John SLAFTER, Abel CURTIS."
At a subsequent meeting of the proprietors Captain MARSH reported
that he "journeyed through the State of New York and in the jerseys, but
could find no owners to Said Township," whereupon he was voted seventy-five
dollars for his services and expenses. At a still later meeting Abel CURTISS
was appointed clerk, "in room of Capn. STORRS, resigned"; and it was also
voted at this meeting "that the number of Proprietors of Middlesex Proposed
shall not Exceed Twenty." Col. MARSH, Dea. ORDWAY, Dr. SLAFTER, Capt. House
and Lieut. PAYN, the latter a surveyor, were appointed a committee to "Lay
out A Division of Lots in Said Township."
his Honr. Govr. MARSH, Moderator of this meeting.
Capn. Aaron STORRS, Clerk.
Capn. Abel MARSH, Agent for the Said Propriety of Middlesex. Proposed to
find out the Owners or Claimers of said Tract of Land, who may be in the
State of New York, or Elsewhere, and to purchase the Same for, and in behalf
of, said Proprietors, of those who are able to give indisputable Title
his Honor, Govr. MARSH, agent for Said Propriety, to Prefer a Memorial
to the Honorable General Assembly of the State of Vermont at their next
Session, for the fee of such Lands, in said Township, proposed as may be
found to belong to the State, and for a charter of incorporation of A Township
by the name of Middlesex, as proposed.
Capn. Aaron STORRS Treasurer for this Propriety.
raise a tax of five dollars on Each Proprietor immediately, to defray the
Expense of Our Agent to the State of New York.
this meeting be adjourned to the 30th Day of June next, one o'clock P.
M., to the House of Mr. John PAWN, in Dresden."
At a meeting of the "original twenty" proprietors, held at Capt.
John HOUSE's, in Middlesex, on the second Wednesday in September, 1779,
it was "Voted, that the number of Proprietors consist of forty -- each
of the present proprietors to introduce one Proprietor." And a month later
it was "Voted, that all the Proprietors to the number of sixty, shall have
the privilege of Pitching two hundred acres of land Each, in sd. Middlesex,
in A regular, uniform manner." Previous to the granting of the charter
in June, 1781, the number was increased to seventy-one.
The following extracts from the journals of the General Assembly
at their sessions held in Bennington, October and November, 1780, show
the steps that were taken by the proprietors to obtain good titles to the
lands upon which they were settling:
The following is a copy of the Vermont charter issued by the governor
and council June 29, 1781:
Oct. 25th, 1780.
* * * "
The committee appointed to take into consideration the ungranted lands
and the several petitions filed in the Secretary's office, sent the following
request to the House, viz.:
having made considerable advancement in the business of their appointment,
have found it necessary to take the sense of the committee in what manner
the several locations made by virtue of the authority of New York since
the King's prohibition shall be considered, who are unanimously of the
opinion that they ought not to be considered as a sufficient bar against
granting the same to other respectable and worthy petitioners ; they therefore
wish to know the sense of the Assembly on this subject, that they may govern
their future conduct in the premises accordingly. By order of Com.
was read and thereupon –
unanimously, that the several locations made by virtue of the authority
of New York since the King's prohibition, be and is hereby considered not
a sufficient bar against granting the same to respectable and worthy petitioners.
Nov. 2d, 1780.
* * " The
committee appointed to take into consideration the ungranted lands and
the several petitions filed in the Secretary's office, &c., brought
in a report which was rejected and thereupon --
that there be and hereby is granted unto-Aaron STORES and sixty-eight of
his company whose names are annexed to the said petition, a township of
land situate and lying in this State, being part of the tract formerly
called Middlesex, (alias Randolph,) bounded as follows, viz : as drawn
on the charter plan exhibited by the Surveyor General, and marked No. 4,
containing six miles square, and the Governor and Council are hereby requested
to issue a grant or charter of said tract by the name of Randolph, unto
the said STORES and company, being sixty-eight in number, under such restrictions,
reservations, and for such considerations as they shall judge best." *
. * *
About four-fifths of this township is situated directly between
the Second and Third branches of White river, which beautiful streams run
parallel and in nearly straight lines, north and south, through the whole
length of the township. These, with their brooklet tributaries, and the
lesser intermediate stream of Ayer's brook, water the township, furnish
it with water-power and agreeably diversify its surface with sparkling
streams and pleasant meadows. From the banks of both the eastern and western
branches, just named as embracing the great body of the township between
them, the land rises with gentle and almost uniform acclivity to the broad
plateau, forming the central elevation of the town, the gradual ascents
on both sides attaining to a height of some 400 feet above the beds of
the streams from which they commenced.
Council and General Assembly of Vermont
people to whom these presents shall come, greeting:
that whereas it has been represented to us by our worthy friends, Capt.
Aaron Stoors and Company, to the number of seventy-one, that there is a
vacant Tract of Land within this State which has not beep heretofore granted,
which they pray may be granted to them.
therefore thought fit, for the due encouragement of settling a new plantation
within this State and other valuable considerations herewith moving. .
And Do by these Presents and in the name and by the authority of the Freemen
of Vermont, Give and Grant unto said Aaron Stoors and the several Persons
hereafter named, his associates, viz.: Thomas EDDY, Jas. BLODGETT, David
WOODWARD, Asahel WOODWARD, Elijah PEMBER, Jehiel WOODWARD, Jos. KNEELAND,
Steph. BURROUGHS, Henry BLODGETT, Jas. BLODGETT, Jr., Henry WALBRIDGE,
Dan PARKER, Silas ADAMS, Moses BELKNAP, Joshua HINDEE, Jona. WALES, Ezra
EDGERTON, John PAYNE, Barnabas PERKINS, Huckins STOORS, Huckins STOORS,
Jr., Caleb CLARK, Barnabas HASKELL, David HODGES, Samuel RICHARDSON, Benjamin
BIGGSBEE, Joseph GREEN, Stephen BOND, Joel KILBURNE, John LORD, John MANDEVILLES,
Wm. LEWIS, John GOODRICH, Stephen FISK, Abraham WALLACE, Asa EDGERTON,
Zebulon LATHROP, Jr, Eleazer HUNTINGTON, Israel CONVERSE, Bildad KIBBEE,
Ariel EDGERTON, John WOODWARD, Zebulon HIBBARD, Dyer HIBBARD, Caleb CLARK,
Jr., Edmund SHATTUCK, Noadiah BISSELL, Col. John HOUSE, Joseph GRISWOLD,
James STEEL, Zadoc STEEL, James MCKENNEY, Jr., Andrew MCKENNEY, Moses VINCENT,
Zenas ALDEN, Oliver PINNEY, Experience DAVIS, Elijah HOUSE, Bela TURNER,
John THROOP, Esquire. Experience STOORS, Samuel BENDICT, William EVANS,
Timothy MILES, Bozaleel WOODWARD, Esquire, Elisha BURTON, Elisha HYDE,
Jeremiah GRISWOLD, Samuel STEEL, together with five equal shares, or rights
to be appropriated to the public uses, following, viz.: One share or right
for the use of a Seminary or College within the State; one share or right
for the use of the County Grammar Schools throughout the State ; one share
or right for the first settled Minister of the Gospel in said Township,
to be disposed of for that purpose, as the Inhabitants thereof shall direct;
one share or -right for the support of the ministry; one share or right
for the benefit and support of the school or schools within said township.
The following Tract or Parcel of Land: Beginning at the northwest corner
of Tunbridge, then sixty-one degrees west, six miles; then south, thirty-six
degrees west, about six miles and one-half to the northwest corner of Bethel;
then South sixty-one degrees East to the N. E. corner of Bethel, then westerly
to the southwest corner of said Tunbridge; then north thirty-six degrees
east six miles in the line of said Tunbridge, to the bounds begun at.
the same be and is hereby incorporated into a township by the name of RANDOLPH,
and the Inhabitants that do or shall hereafter inhabit said township are
declared to be Enfranchised and entitled to all the Privileges and Immunities
that other towns within this State do by law exercise and enjoy: TO HAVE
AND TO HOLD the said granted premises as above expressed, with all the
Privileges and Appurtenances thereunto belonging, to them and their representative
Heirs and Assigns forever, under the following conditions and reservations,
viz.: that each Proprietor of said Township of Randolph, his Heirs and
Assigns, shall plant and cultivate five acres of Land and build a house
at least eighteen feet square on the floor, or have one family settled
on each respective share or right of land in said Township within the term
of four years, next after the circumstances of the War will admit of it
with safety, on the pain of forfeiture of his respective Share or Right
of land in said Township: And the same to revert to the said. Freemen of
this State, to be by their Representative regranted to such persons as
shall appear to settle and cultivate the same: That all pine timber suitable
for a Navy shall be reserved to and for the use and benefit of the Freemen
of this State. IN TESTIMONY whereof we have caused the Seal of this State
to be affixed hereunto, the twenty-ninth day of June in the year of our
LORD one thousand seven hundred and eighty-one, in the Fourth year of the
Independence of this State and fifth of the United States.
We have called the ascent from these opposite streams uniform and
of the same height, and in their general features they are so. But the
eastern slope is more acclivous than the western, and the ascent higher,
the bed of Second or East branch being considerably lower than that of
the Third or West branch. This central platform extends north and south
through the whole town, and, with its slopes gradually falling away on
either side, constitutes one of the most extensive and beautiful swells
of land to be found in this or any other country. And, as if to bring beauty
and utility into their most perfect combination, arises the remarkable
fact that over the whole swell, comprising about 20,000 acres of land,
there is not a single acre which may not be easily cultivated by the plow
and harrow, while there is no part of Vermont where more abundant crops
of all kinds are found to reward the husbandman for his labors. The rocks
entering into the geological structure of -the town are of talcose schist,
clay slate, and calciferous mica schist formation, the latter predominating,
occupying about two-thirds of the entire territory, in the eastern part.
Adjoining this and extending through the town is the clay slate, while
in the extreme southwestern corner is found the talcose schist. Traces
of gold in alluvium have been discovered in the southwestern part.
The population of Randolph in 1880 was 2,910. In 1883 the town system
of schools was adopted, and in 1886 Randolph had twenty-one common schools,
employing two male and twenty-four female teachers, to whom was paid an
average weekly salary, including board, of $17.45 to the former and $5..99
to the latter. There were 571 scholars, three of whom attended private
schools. The entire income for school purposes was $5,425.91, while the
total expenditures were $5,630.33, with P. E. GROW, superintendent.
WEST RANDOLPH, a post village and station on the Vermont Central
railroad, twenty-three miles south from Montpelier, is pleasantly located
on the First branch of White river, in the southerly part of the town.
It is an important local commercial center, containing five churches (Baptist,
Christian, Congregational, Episcopal, and Roman Catholic), a first-class
High school with N. J. WHITEHILL, principal, two hotels (Red Lion Inn and
Newton House), a grist-mill, two saw-mills, a planing-mill, sash, door
and blind factory, butter stub factory, furniture manufactory, marble works,
force and suction pump works, with dry-goods stores, groceries, liveries,
undertakers, clothing stores, lawyers, doctors, dentists, etc., etc. Here,
also, is located the office of state treasurer, W. H. DUBOIS, and judge
of probate, William H. NICHOLS. An excellent system of water works was
erected by the village in 1887, and is in good working order. Numerous,
seekers after health and pleasure find this a delightful place in which
to spend the summer, and many palatial summer residences have been and
are being erected by people from various cities. A destructive fire destroyed
a number of buildings here a few years since, which have been replaced
by fine brick structures, with many improvements, so that West Randolph
may now be classed among the most beautiful of New England villages.
EAST RANDOLPH post village is pleasantly located on the East branch
of White river and contains two churches (Baptist and Universalist), two
hotels, two general stores, two blacksmith shops, one furniture and undertaking
establishment, a grist-mill, livery stable, and about forty dwellings.
The old turnpike from Burlington to Hanover passes through this village,
making this, in the early days, a place of considerable importance. The
following comprises a partial list of the early settlers here: Beginning
at the bridge on the easterly side of the street Sprague ARNOLD built and
carried on a grist-mill, saw-mill, and carding-mill, where he did an extensive
business, and with his brother Henry manufactured cider brandy, potato,
rye, and corn whiskey. A little further on John MOXLEY, a tailor, attended
toll gate; Shubael CONVERSE kept a hotel, where he sold whiskey. Joseph
CUMMINGS also kept a store a little further on, and Henry ARNOLD made boots
and shoes in a shop near by. Marmaduke WAITE kept a store, and John WHEATLEY
a tavern; John GLIDDING had a store where CARTER & OSGOOD are now located.
Lewis SPENCER manufactured furniture and did the small amount of undertaking
necessary; Ansel FISH was the hatter, and Amos ABBOTT manufactured wagons
and sleighs. Crossing and turning north on the west side of the street
we find Timothy BROOKS, farmer; Timothy HIGGINS, wheelwright; Ebenezer
FRIZZLE, tanner; Bethuel KEITH, manufacturer of foot and spinning-wheels;
Samuel BLODGETT ran an oil-mill and tannery, kept hotel and ran a line
of stages; Samuel WEBSTER made harnesses and saddles; Levi BRUCE did cloth-dressing;
Porter CONVERSE was the village lawyer; Leonard FAREWELL kept a distillery
and store; Benjamin SARGEANT manufactured scythes, axes, etc.; Nathaniel
KING looked after the spiritual welfare of his little flock of Freewill
Baptists; Gersham YORK took up the tract of land now occupied by the village;
and Stephen FISH kept hotel where W. R. HOLDEN now lives. "It is said that
East Randolph was a flourishing village when West Randolph was known as
`Slab City.' "
NORTH RANDOLPH (p. o.) is a small village located in the northeasterly
part of the town, on the Second branch of White river, and contains a hotel,
store, grist-mill, saw-mill, turning works, tannery, and blacksmith shop,
with about twenty dwellings. The ladies have erected a commodious hall
to be used for a library and for public entertainments. A mail stage runs
daily between this village and Royalton.
RANDOLPH CENTER (Randolph p. o.) is located near the center of the
town upon a table-land between the branches of White river. The main street
is very wide and beautifully adorned with shade trees. The Randolph academy,
or Orange County Grammar school, was established here in 18o6, and became
a State Normal school in 1866. Edward CONANT, A. M., is principal. The
village contains three churches (Congregational, Episcopal and Methodist),
a general store, hotel, two wagon shops, a foundry, blacksmith shop, and
about thirty dwellings.
The Randolph academy, or Orange County Grammar school, was established
in 1806 in the building now occupied as a dwelling HOUSE by Franklin DOTEN.
It was first located on the site of the present Normal school. Of this
school we can judge only by its Alumni. Its value is, attested by such
sons as Hon. Jacob COLLAMER, Rev. Azariah HYDE, Rev. Constantine BLODGETT,
for fifty years pastor of the First Congregational church of Pawtucket,
R. I., Amos DEAN, Esq., a celebrated attorney, and principal of the Albany
Law school, Gov. CONVERSE and Judge BARRETT, Hon. Justin S. MORRILL, and
a score of lesser lights, whose names will occur to our older readers.
The early principals of the school as given by Thompson's Vermont are as
follows: William NUTTING, 1807-13; D. Breck, 1813-14; Rufus NUTTING, 1814-18;
George BUSH, 1818-19; Samuel WORCESTER, 1819-20; Joseph SAWYER, 1820-21;
Rufus NUTTING, 1821-28; Clement LONG, 1828-31; John FAIRCHILD, 1831-32;
T. G. BRAINERD, 1832-36;. Samuel A. BENTON, 1836-38; Azariah HYDE, 1838-41;
Edward CLEVELAND, 1841. Complete records of the later principals we have
not obtained. In the last decade came R. M. MANLEY, Andrew FREEMAN, George
DUTTON, Mr. WILLARD, Edward CONANT, and doubtless others. Next preceding
Mr. CONANT was Mr. FISHER. Edward CONANT has been fitly styled "The Father
of Vermont Normal Schools." The propriety of this title will be recognized
by all witnesses of the discussions which marked the last years of the
Orange County Grammar school, and ended in the establishment of a training
school for teachers. The Normal school, already an institution in many
states, was viewed distrustfully by trustees and people. The citizens of
Randolph had a just pride .in their Grammar school, an institution of wide
influence and reputation, which had been for many years a powerful factor
in the educational work of the state. The Normal school had but one advocate
among them, but that advocate was a man having the courage of his convictions,
slow to change his opinions, but unyielding when his opinions were once
formed. The academy, in Mr. CONANT's view, was not the need of the hour.
The interests of the state demanded better training for its teachers. All
the arguments which much thought and study of the matter could evolve,
were brought to bear upon the trustees, and with their consent the change
was made in 1866. The results are before us. For years the most bitter
opponents of the change have been, if not ardent admirers of the new system,
at least acquiescent.
Randolph National bank, at West Randolph village, was organized
May 8, 1875, with a capital of $100,000, and with William H. DUBOIS, president;
John W. ROWELL, vice-president; and Royal T. DUBOIS, cashier, all of whom
retain their respective offices. The bank now has a surplus and individual
profits amounting to $20,467.
Green Mountain Stock Farm. -- The enterprise of breeding trotting
horse stock of the Messenger blood through the Hambletonian, Clay, Star,
Abdallah and Morgan families was begun by the Moulton Bros. at the old
homestead farm in 1867, by the purchase of a few trotting-bred mares, for
five of which they paid $4.250, and a young son of "Rysdyke" Hambletonian
they purchased at a cost of $1,600. The business of breeding horses exclusively
was pursued until 1880, at which time it was determined to reduce the horse
stock, then consisting of seventy-five or eighty head, and establish a
herd of thoroughbred registered Jersey cattle. Adjoining farms were purchased,
which now comprise 750 acres, suitable stock barns and a model dairy was
built, and from year to year the very best and most popular Jersey stock
was bought at a high average cost, twenty-six cows of the herd having cost
over $1,000 each. The herd now numbers upwards of 200 head, including 150
milch cows, and the horses number thirty-five head. It is the purpose of
the proprietors to increase the number of breeders and dairy cows to 300,
and to establish the business on such a basis as will insure its perpetuity,
and to that end a joint stock company has recently been organized under
the title of the Green Mountain Stock Farm Co., with a capital stock of
George J. PRINCE's butter tub factory, at West Randolph village,
was built by John PRINCE, father of the present owner, in 1870. George
J. succeeded to the business in 1875. He employs thirty men and manufactures
200,000 butter tubs annually.
A.W. TEWKSBURY & Sons steam saw and lumber-mills, at West Randolph
village, manufacture large quantities of lumber and dimension timber annually.
George W. BLODGETT's flouring and grist-mill, on the Second branch
of White river, at North Randolph, has four runs of stones and does custom
and merchant milling. Mr. BLODGETT also has a saw-mill at the same place.
A.W. TEWKSBURY &' Sons' door, sash and blind manufactory, located
on Pleasant, corner of Mill street, was established by Charles E. ABBOTT
& Co. in 1866, and continued by that firm until 1871, when C. E. ABBOTT
became proprietor and conducted the business until 1879. A. W. TEWKSBURY
& Sons then purchased the concern, and now do an extensive business,
employing about sixty men, with C. E. ABBOTT as manager. They also manufacture
adjustable window screens.
Salisbury Bros. furniture manufactory is located at West Randolph.
"Their buildings were burned in 1880, and in 1881 the present commodious
structure was erected. They do an extensive business, giving employment
to about fifty men.
Samuel H. BROOKS does a prosperous business in the manufacture of
Brooks's patent hand force and suction pumps. He is located at West Randolph.
Eli CAMP's saw, planing and cider-mill is located on a branch of
White river, one mile north of East Randolph. He does considerable business.
Other business enterprises are noticed in the general directory
and also in the classified business list.
On account of the unsettled and disturbed state of the country,
in consequence of the war with Great Britain, the quarrel with New York,
and claims of New Hampshire, there was a manifest reluctance, on the part
of the proprietors, to settling upon their lands, so that, in order to
induce settlers to locate upon, and cultivate the soil, it was found necessary
to offer premiums or bounties, the first of which was prepared at a meeting
held May 13, 1779, as follows:
At the same meeting, and for the same object, this action was taken:
that for the encouragement of a speedy settlement of said Township, those
Proprietors who shall first enter upon and cultivate and continue to cultivate
the lands in the town, shall have the privilege of pitching forty acres
of intervale in Sd. Town, and also two hundred acres of upland, laying
out the same in a regular form, and in such manner as not to make waste
of land; reserving the privilege of Mills and Highways in the Town."
It was also voted at different meetings:
that for the encouragement of building a Grist Mill and a Saw Mill in said
Township, that Capn. Aaron STORRS have the privilege of pitching the Mill
Spot and one hundred acres of land, to include the Mill Spot, which is
to be the first pitch, and to be purchased and Made Sure to him by the
Proprietors -- also one hundred acres more, to be pitched by said STORRS
in any other, part of the Township, not infringing on any other pitch previously
made by any other Proprietor, and to be purchased and made sure to him
by the Proprietors, as aforesaid; said Saw Mill to be completed by the
first day of April next, and the Grist Mill to be completed by the first
day of April after,-Provided nothing interferes to obstruct the settlement
of the town."
The settlement of the town was commenced three or four years before
the town was chartered, as near as can be ascertained. William EVANS, John
PARKS, and Experience DAVIS were the first persons who wintered in the
township. Experience DAVIS, of Dresden, N. H., (now Hanover,) and who was
one of the early settlers there, hearing from certain of. the St. Regis
Indians from the state of New York, who were at his place, of a very desirable
tract of land upon "the Branches of the Three Rivers," accompanied them
on, their return, resolved if he was pleased with the land to commence
a settlement there under the "Squatter law," -- an old English law that
secured to settlers in a new country the land they might fence and build
a tenement on. The Indians guided him to the spot, and it appears he was
pleased with the prospects, but he did nothing at this time more than to
look over the ground; his affairs requiring him to return immediately to
Dresden. This was in the summer of 1775. The next summer, 1776, he went
up and appropriated to himself what of the land he could fence in three
days. As he inclosed 1,533 acres, it is to be inferred he fenced according
to law, "so brush would touch." He also chopped according to law, "a little,"
and "built a tenement" -- a shanty-and returned to Dresden. The next year,
1777, Mr. DAVIS came on and took up his residence on his enclosed possessions;
but as he was an unmarried man and not yet ready to marry, he soon found
the solitary condition of being the only person in town so lonely, after
a short time he went back to Dresden, and offered William EVANS, one of
his old neighbors, a farm off from his tract if he would make an immediate
settlement. Mr. EVANS accepted the offer, brought on his family and built
a house at a mile distant from DAVIS. Both parties had progressed somewhat
with the clearing of their farms, when the burning of Royalton occurred
and the capture of prisoners and taking of scalps by the Indians in their
return to Canada in the towns through which they passed. Randolph was one
of the towns which suffered. The Indians came up the Second branch of the
river, near the clearing of DAVIS. They discovered him seated at his door
mending a basket. He made no resistance, for he was surrounded before he
saw them and knew too well the temper of his captors. They took him as
their prisoner and what effects they coveted about his shanty, and then
burned his hut to the ground. The Indians, taking with them their new prisoner,
proceeded to the house of Mr. EVANS. The family had either seen the smoke
of Mr. DAVIS's house, or received the alarm in some other way and had escaped.
The Indians not finding the family, burned the house and proceeded on their
way about three miles further and encamped for the night.
person who will introduce two settlers on a right shall have the right
of pitching a third hundred acres of upland in the township, after the
first two hundred acres are pitched," and "to give the first woman that
settles in Middlesex with a family, one -hundred acres of Land."
The early settlers were mostly from Connecticut and Massachusetts.
At just what time they were sufficiently numerous to form a regular town
organization is not known, or at what time the organization was effected
cannot be determined with certainty, on account of the loss of the records
concerning it; but it seems probable that it was previous to March 31,
1783, as the records of that date show the organization to be in regular
running order, with no allusion to a recent organization. Thompson's Vermont,
gives the. date of organization as March 31, 1783, and names Jehiel WOODWARD
as the first town clerk.
Samuel PEMBER came from Ellington, Conn., about 1778, and located
on the place now occupied by J. M. PEMBER. He was captured by the Indians
at the time of the burning of Royalton, and taken to Canada, where he remained
in captivity two years. After his release he brought his family to this
town. He married Esther READ, by whom he had three sons and four daughters,
viz.: Elijah, Samuel, Jacob R., Achsah; Lucy, Esther and Sophronia. Samuel,
Jr., was born in this town in 1795, married Marilla HASKELL, and had born
to him three sons and five daughters, viz.: Samuel H., of Bethel; Esther,
who died young; Frances (Mrs. David S. WASHBURN), of this town; Ellen,
who was twice married, her second husband being William B. PAINE, of Marblehead,
Mass., where she died September 3, 1873; Angeline, who died in 1852, aged
eighteen years; Andrew J., now a resident of Bethel; Esther M., of Massachusetts;
and James M., who resides in this town on the old homestead. Thomas PEMBER,
a brother of Samuel, Sr., was present at the burning of Royalton, where
he was killed and scalped by the Indians. Tradition says that he had a
double crown, and that the Indians received pay for two scalps.
Simeon and Moses BELKNAP, brothers, came from Connecticut to Randolph
in 1779 or 1780. Simeon was captured by the Indians and taken to Canada.
Moses located on the farm now occupied by George C. BRIGHAM, reared three
sons and seven daughters, of whom two daughters are now living -- Sophronia,
widow of Walter PERRIN, of Hardwick, Caledonia county, aged ninety-five,
and Susan B., widow of John MILES, aged eighty-eight, now living on a part
of the BELKNAP homestead at East Randolph.
Zebulon HEBARD, one of the first settlers of Randolph, came from
Connecticut and located on the place now occupied by W. L. HEBARD. His
son Enoch, born in this town, reared two children -- Asa and Lovina (Mrs.
Morse FLINT). Asa, also born here, was reared on a farm, married a daughter
of Simeon PUTNAM, by whom he had one son and two daughters, viz.: William
L., Lovina M. (Mrs. L. B. ATWOOD), of St. Johnsbury, and Olivia P. (Mrs.
R. F. TILSON). W. L. HEBARD, born in 1846, was reared on a farm, married,
first, Mary VIRGENT, in 1872, who bore him two children, Maud M. and Asa
B., dying in 1878; and second, Elizabeth, daughter of Addison and Susan
(POWERS) WAY, in 1885, and they have one son, Guy A., born in 1886. Mr.
HEBARD occupies a part of the farm on which his great-grandfather first
settled, and which has never been owned out of the HEBARD family.
Aaron STORRS, from Hanover, N. H., with his wife, Rebecca WOODWARD,
located on the “Gallup farm," where he built the first frame HOUSE in town,
about 1782. He had a family of two sons and three daughters, viz.: David,
who studied law and died in the prime of life; Rebecca (Mrs. FRENCH); Lydia
(Mrs. LARNED); Lucy (Mrs. Josiah WASHBURN), who died in this town; and
Aaron, 2d. The latter, born in this town in 1796, was reared on a farm,
married, first, Betsey SMITH, who bore him one daughter, Elizabeth (Mrs.
Abel KENT), and second, Eliza, daughter of Wolcott and Agnes (GRISWOLD)
ALLEN, in 1838, who was born on the "Storrs place " in 1800, and by whom
he had a daughter and a son, Delia Ann, and Aaron ALLEN, the latter born
in 1843. Mr. STORRS is a farmer, and owns and occupies the Wolcott ALLEN
farm of 185 acres.
Lois GRISWOLD, born in 1779, died in Hadley, Mass., in 1870. She
was a daughter of Joseph and Margery (DOGALL) GRISWOLD, and came to Randolph
at the age of five years. She married Barney BIGELOW, in 1808, and reared
one daughter and two sons, viz.: Abbie, Frederick and Samuel. Abbie was
born in Brookfield in 1809, married Joseph Partridge in 1829, and had born
to her six sons, as follows: Joseph G., of Montana; Charles M., a civil
engineer, of Buffalo, N. Y.; Edwin E., of Pennsylvania; Frederick, a soldier,
who died in the army in 1863; George B., killed in battle in 1864; and
John J., who died in 1860, aged fourteen years. Mr. PARTRIDGE died in 1873.
Mrs. PARTRIDGE survives him.
Jonathan CARPENTER, with his wife, Olive SESSIONS, from Rehoboth,
Mass., came to Randolph previous to 1785, and located on the Bailey ADAMS
farm, where he kept hotel. He had a family of five sons and two daughters,
viz.: Fanny, Marshall, Chester, Elias, George and Orinda, all deceased,
and Danford, a resident of Grand Rapids, Mich. Elias was born in this town
in 1792, married Orinda, daughter of Sylvanus and Lefe (EDSON) BLODGETT,
in 1818, and had born to him three sons and four daughters, as follows:
Augustus B., Orpha, Elias D., Lefe Lucina, Sylvanus B., Orpha O. (Mrs.
John B. MEAD, who died May 6, 1877), and Ellen O. Sylvanus B., born in
1828, was reared upon a farm, married, first, Laura, daughter of Luther
and Lydia (READ) ADAMS, in 1854, by whom he had one daughter, Mary Ellen,
who died in 1857, aged two years. His wife died in 1857, and in 1862 he
married Ellen A., daughter of Alden S. and Betsey (KENDALL) LOOMIS, and
they have an adopted son, George Walter, and an adopted daughter, Jennella
Marie. Mr. CARPENTER owns and occupies the old John PERRIN homestead of
sixty acres, on road 83. He kept the "Students' Home," a boarding-HOUSE,
in. Randolph, from April, 1879, to May, 1884.
Isaac Thayer came from Massachusetts with his wife, Abby LAMSON,
and located in this town about 1785. They had five sons and two daughters,
of whom William H. H., born in this town in 1812, was reared upon a farm,
married, first, Sarah LEWIS, who bore him one son, Lewis P., born in 1854.
His wife died in 1862, and in 1863 he wedded with Abbie E. TONES. Lewis
P. married Alice, daughter of A. A. and Betsey (LOOMIS) SMITH. in 1878,
and they have one daughter, Maurine L. Mr. L. P. THAYER is editor of the
Herald and News, and resides on Highland avenue, West Randolph.
Nathaniel MOULTON, from Munson, Mass., came with his wife to this
town about 1787. They had three sons and four daughters. One son, Howard
Lewis, (born in 1793, died in 1858,) married, first, Harty KING, by whom
he had one son and three daughters, viz.: Nathaniel L., who died in infancy;
Eliza K. (Mrs. Lewis SPENCER), of Lebanon, N. H.; Nancy K. (Mrs. John HUNTINGTON),
who resides on the- homestead; and Lydia (Mrs. Jonas G. SARGENT), of Warren,
Washington county. Mrs. MOULTON died in 1834, and he married, second, Laura
Ann CRAIG, in 1847, who bore him one daughter, Jennie A. (Mrs. Harvey CUTTING),
Elisha LILLIE and wife, Lavina STORY, came from Windham, Conn.,
to Randolph, about 1789, and located on the farm now occupied by George
L. HOWARD. They had three sons and four daughters, viz.: Huldah, born in
1790; Lovinia, born in 1792; Amanda, in 1794; Elisha, Jr., in 1795; Orra,
in 1797; Horatio, in 1799; Ludovicus, in 1809. Elijah, Jr., married Hannah,
daughter of Oliver and Mary (STORY) BOOTH, in 1822, who bore him four sons
end one daughter, viz.: Orra A. (Mrs. O. TYLER), of East Randolph; Elhanan
T., of West Randolph; Oliver C., who died in 1880; Carlos M., of California;
and Horatio, who died young. Elhanan T., born in 1824. married, first,
Eliza BURT, and second, Charlotte A., daughter of Samuel and, Lucinda BELCHER,
in 18J9, who bore him one son and four daughters, viz.: Cora E., who married
George S. JONES, and died in 1886; Alice H. (Mrs. J. Samuel PRESSY); Bertha
O. and Bessie O., twins, who died in infancy; and Charles H., who died
young. In 1863 Mr. LILLIE enlisted in Co. G, 9th Vt.. Vols , and served
about two years. He resides on School street in West Randolph village.
Abraham, Isaac and Jacob HEATH, brothers, came from Connecticut
and located in Randolph previous to 1790, -- Abraham where J. R. BURRAGE
now lives, Isaac where Ethan GODFREY now lives, and Jacob on the farm now
occupied by J. C. FLINT. Isaac married Sarah TIFFANY, and reared one son
and two daughters -- Rebecca, Otis H. and Sarah. Otis H. was born in a
floorless shanty in 1796, and died in 1866. He married Betsey, daughter
of Joseph and Rachel (MANN) RIFORD, in 1823, end their children were Betsey
R., Lavina H., Aureole M., Sarah (Mrs. J. C. FLINT), born in 1830, Alpine
R., Olivia (Mrs. J. R. BARRAGE), Octavia J., and Ruth E. (Mrs. Ethan GODFREY).
Otis HEATH was crushed under a load of logs and instantly killed. Three
granddaughters of Isaac HEATH -- Mrs. FLINT, Mrs. BARRAGE, and Mrs. GODFREY-reside
on the farms first settled by Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and which have
always been in the possession of some member of the HEATH family.
John MORRILL, with his wife, Mariann ABBOTT, came to Randolph about
1790. They had four sons and five daughters, of whom Gilbert, born in 1813,
married Sally, daughter of John and Sally (STORY) SPRAGUE, in 1837, and
their children were Mary M. (Mrs. John H. BLAISDELL), Olivia (Mrs. Jasper
H. WOOD), and an adopted son, William S. MORRILL. Gilbert MORRILL's wife
died in 1886. He resides with his daughter, Mrs. J. H. BLAISDELL.
Dea. Abner MORSE, of Fitzwilliam, N. H., with his wife, Betsey BYAM,
located on the farm where their grandson, C. Nelson MORSE, now lives, in
1790. They had five sons and one daughter, viz.: Luther, Gracie, Calvin,
Coburn, Ira, and Abiel. Ira, born in 1805, married Loretta, daughter of
Holly end Betsey (MOODY) JONES, in 1831, and reared seven sons and two
daughters, of whom C. Nelson and Dana H. reside in this town. Dana. H.
married Emma C., daughter of Ephraim and Abigail (SPEAR) THAYER, in 1864,
and they have one son and two daughters, Cassius T., Belle T., and Mary
E. Cassius T., aged twenty years, who was unfortunately insane, having
been confined at the asylums of Brattleboro and Concord, was brought home
in March, 1886, by. Frank DAVIS, a keeper at the asylum. At the expiration
of DAVIS's term of service, and on the morning he was to leave, October
25, while seated at the breakfast table, Cassius T. came stealthily behind
DAVIS and struck him with an axe. The axe cleft the skull and buried itself
deeply in the brain of the unsuspecting victim. C. Nelson MORSE was born
in 1835 on the old homestead which he now owns and occupies, and which
has never been owned outside of the MORSE family.
Phineas MOULTON, with his wife, Molly BLODGETT, from Munson, Mass.,
located in this town about 1791, and built a house near what is now the
old homestead. They had eight sons and two daughters, of whom Phineas lived
on the Kelley farm, where he died in 1856; Stillman lived on the place
now occupied by Silas CHADWICK, where he died in 1878; Molly (Mrs. David
DAVIS) lived and died in this town; Nellie married Joseph MORTON; the other
children were Jude, James, Daniel, Freeman, John, and Horace. The latter
was born in Randolph in 1794, and in 1826 married Lucy, daughter of Rev.
Samuel and Lucy (PATCH) SMITH, and their children were: Lucia S., now living
on the homestead; Justin H., born in 1830; Celia L. (Mrs. Theodore CHAMBERLAIN),
of Brooklyn, N. Y.; Gilman S., born in 1834; Clarence-F., born in 1837;
and Adeline L., who lives at home with her sister, Lucia. Horace MOULTON
died August 21, 1862, and his wife November 12, 1885.
Elijah PEMBER, son of Samuel and Esther (READ) PEMBER, was born
in this town in 1791. He married Sylvia, daughter of Israel and Ruth (WOOD)
KIBLEE, and their children were Lucia (Mrs. George WILBUR), of Brookfield;
Maria. (Mrs. Ezra JOSLYN), of Illinois; Elijah, Jr., of Hartford, Conn.;
Harvey C. and Thomas, of Randolph; Sophronia R. (Mrs. L. CHADWICK), of
Bethel; Sylvia, who died at the age of three years; George R., who died
in infancy; and George R., 2d. The latter was born in 1834, married, first,
Augusta ), daughter of Squire and Tryphena (BAILEY) CLAFLIN, in 1870, by
whom he had one daughter, Nettie M., born in 1872. His wife died in 1874,
and in 1876 Mr. PEMBER married Sarah M., daughter of Stephen J. and Olive
H. (HODGES) GEORGE, of Barnard, Windsor county, who bore him one son, Frankie
E., who died in 1882, aged four years. Mr. PEMBER is a prosperous farmer,
owns the farm of 120 acres upon which he was born, and which has always
been owned by the PEMBER family.
Thomas LAMSON, from Brookfield, Conn., located. in this town about
1792. He married Anna, daughter of Gideon and Rachel (HEATH) MARTIN, in
1785, and located on the place now occupied by Irvin LAMSON. They had five
sons and nine daughters, as follows: Ira, born in 1786, (killed by a falling
tree, and the first person buried in the cemetery,) Achsah (Mrs. GRAINGER),
Nancy (Mrs. Belcher SALISBURY), Catharine (Mrs. Richard LYMAN), Harvey
(deceased), Foster (deceased), Sabrina, Lucinda and Anna (twins), born
in 1803, Annie (Mrs. Earl C. DUBOIS), Thomas, who resides in this town,
Ira (deceased), and Eliza (Mrs. Samuel MANN). Thomas married Esther, daughter
of Elisha MANN, and has had born to him four sons and one daughter, viz.:
Irvin, Mary H. (deceased), Jasper H. and Whitcomb E. Mr. LAMSON resides
in West Randolph.
John GIFFORD, from Ellington, Conn., with his wife, Cynthia KIMBALL,
came to Randolph on horseback about 1792 and located on Gifford hill, on
the farm now occupied by H. R. WRIGHT. They had a family of five sons and
four daughters, of whom Friend, born in 1802, married Armida, daughter
of Gilbert and Sabra (GRAVES) SMITH, in 1827, by whom he had three sons
and two daughters -- John, Horace, Henry, Charlott and Cynthia (Mrs. H.
T. SMITH). John, born in 1828, married, first, Eliza ALLEN, in 1857, who
died in 1858, and second, Celia A., daughter of J. S. and Celia (CUSHING)
ALLEN, in 1858, who bore him three sons and two daughters, viz.: Emma E.,
Charles C., Myrtie M. (died in 1872, aged three years), Perley J. and Walter
A. Mr. John GIFFORD is a farmer, and owns and occupies the old Keith farm
of 250 acres on road 55.
Milan HEBARD, born in Windham, Conn., in 1762, married Betsey Burnham
in 1793, and in 1794 located in this town on the farm now occupied by Harris
HOLMAN. They reared a family of two sons and three daughters, of whom Salima
(deceased) married Enoch HEBARD; Merina (deceased) married John SESSIONS;
Lucius died in this town in 1875; Eliza (Mrs. John SESSIONS) died here
October 21, 1886; Erastus, born here in 1800, is the oldest native resident
of the town. He married Nancy, daughter of Comfort and Susan (AUSTIN) CARPENTER,
in 1827, and they reared two sons and three daughters, viz.: Susan C.,
born in 1828; Marshall died young ; Marcia, born in 1835, married J. E.
BRIGGS, and died in Newark, N. Y., in 1884; Dr. Charles TILSON, born in
1838, resides in Mondovi, Wis.; and Mary married Rev. J. R. CUSHING, of
Westboro, Mass. Erastus HEBARD's wife died March 18, 1886; he resides on
South Main street, West Randolph village. Lucius HEBARD married Irene,
daughter of Joseph and Polly (PARMLY) BUTTS, by whom he had children as
follows: William B., of Braintree; Joseph B., of Washington Territory;
George L., Jane E. (Mrs. KELLOGG), Milan, Erastus, James H. and Ludolph
P., of this town; Julius H., who died in 1856, aged twenty-five years;
and Laura I. (Mrs. Charles WYMAN), of Brookfield. Ludolph P. was born in
1836. In 1857 he married Roxana W., daughter of Ezra and Sophia (LEONARD)
WEST, and widow of Julius H. HEBARD, who had one daughter, Irene, who died
in 1874, aged twenty years. He has one daughter, Louisa P. (Mrs. Albert
T. MORSE), who has a daughter, Stella S., born in 1886. Mr. HEBARD owns
and occupies the judge J. K. PARISH farm of 105 acres on road 1.
Abial and Simeon Edson came from Connecticut and settled in this
town in 1795. Abial located on the farm where Loren A. and Lucien A. EDSON
now reside. He married Sarah KIBBEE, by whom he had two sons and three
daughters, of whom Loren A. is the only one now living. Loren A. was born
in 1803, married Harriet STORY in 1840, who bore him one son, Lucien A,
born in 1843, She died in 1854. Loren A. and Lucien A. own and occupy the
homestead where they were born, on road 21, and the place has never been
owned outside the EDSON family.
Asahel BRAINERD, son of Elijah and Lucy (SMITH) BRAINERD, was born
in Haddam, Conn., in 1771, and died in this town in 1865. He married Lydia,
daughter of Titus and Lydia (CHAPMAN) LOVELAND, in 1796, and came to Randolph
in December of the same year, with an ox-team and sled, and was several
weeks performing the journey. He first located on the farm now occupied
by James WELCH, where he remained about five years, when he sold out and
bought the farm on road 61 now occupied by his daughters Orpha :and Lydia.
He had one son, Asahel, (born in 1797, died in 1851,) and two daughters,
named above. Asahel married, first, Mary Ann MORRILL, in 1824, and they
had one son and two daughters, Mary Ann, Ezra and Louisa. His wife died
in 1833, and in 1837 he wedded with Sarah WRIGHT, widow of W. FLAGG. Of
his children, Louisa married Dr. William B. CHAMBERLAIN, of Worcester,
Mass.; Mary Ann married N. L. SHELDON, also of Worcester; and Ezra A. wedded
with Mary SANBORN, who bore him three sons-Charles, who was drowned in
1866 at the age of twelve years, Walter and Frederick.
William OSGOOD, son of Abijah and Elizabeth (SPRAGUE) OSGOOD, was
born on Osgood hill in 1798. He first united in marriage with Almira DIBBLE,
who bore him four sons and two daughters, when she died. He next married
Dolly, daughter of Timothy HIGGINS, (widow, first, of R. C. STEVENS, and
second of W. SMITH,) in 1855, who bore him one son, Arthur G., born in
1857. Arthur G. married Annie H., daughter of George and Nellie (SMITH)
DAVENPORT, in 1883, and they have one daughter, Ina Adaline. He is a merchant,
a member of the firm of CARTER & OSGOOD, and also a farmer. His store
and residence are in East Randolph. William OSGOOD died in 1884.
Joseph GRISWOLD, the first man by the name that settled in Randolph,
was born in 1728, in the southern part of England. He, with two brothers
older than himself, emigrated to America about the year 1750. The two brothers
being married, they settled. Some two years after their arrival, Joseph
was swimming in the Connecticut river, and was seized with cramps and a
young man in company with him dragged him to the shore. All his efforts
to restore him were fruitless, and he hastily covered him with his clothes
and ran to the wigwam of an Indian medicine-man for aid. The Indian was
not at home; but his daughter, Margery, returned with him, and after a
long time succeeded in resuscitating the drowned man. He was so helpless
and weak that it was many days before he was able to leave the wigwam.
Margery had been his constant and attentive nurse and companion. Her father
was skilled in all the lore of a learned Indian, and being the younger
brother of a powerful sachem was much respected, not only by his tribe,
but had many warm friends among the white settlers in that section of the
country, and his medical skill was as frequently taxed by the whites as
by the red men. Margery was his only child, and he instructed her in all
the arts for which he was so celebrated.
After his recovery Joseph GRISWOLD frequently visited the Indian
girl-and at length, in opposition to his brother's counsel, married her,
unknown to her father, and moved to Chicopee, Mass., where they lived for
many years. Her father became reconciled to the union, and occasionally
visited them; but GRISWOLD was not very prosperous -- children were born
to him, and his wife practiced her father's profession, and rode far and
near to attend the sick. But physicians came to settle near, and ridiculed
the simple skill of the Indian doctress, and at length was cut off entirely
the income derived from her attendance upon the sick. Disheartened by repeated
misfortunes, they finally determined to start life anew, and with six children
made a pitch in the northern part of Randolph. Their eldest son, Joseph,
preferred remaining in Chicopee; and as he was of age, and expected soon
to be married, he took the homestead, paying his father £20 "of lawful
money"; and, with their worldly goods all packed in a cart, with one yoke
of cattle, an old white mare-a present to Margery from her father-and one
cow, they started from Chicopee for their new home, Joseph, the eldest,
remaining. The names of their other children were Frederick, John, Benjamin,
Sylvester, Eunice, and Lois. They were all remarkably athletic and enterprising,
and fortune smiled upon them. In a few years they began to accumulate property.
Mrs. GRISWOLD's uncle, the sachem, died, and her father succeeded him;
but the name was only a sinecure -- the glory of the once powerful tribe
had departed, and the few feeble remnants were soon dispersed-but their
chief, or Dogerill, as the English called him, clung to the homes and graves
of his forefathers. Once in two years he came to Vermont to visit his daughter
and her family, for whom he always felt the warmest affection. He rejoiced
in their prosperity. His last visit was made in the autumn of 1798, and
it was a wearisome journey to him. Dispirited and sick, he reached their
home; and when he left it the last time-one week later-he was carried in
the dead of night, dressed in his chieftain's clothes, and laid in the
field south of the house. His daughter's husband and herself hollowed the
lonely bed, and, with the help of her two eldest sons, they laid that proud
head down, with his gun and hunting-knife by his side, and his tomahawk
in his hand. Two large stones were afterwards raised to cover the grave,
and mark his resting -place.
Josiah WASHBURN was a son of Jonah, a lieutenant in the Revolutionary
war, and his wife, Huldah SEARS, from Middleburg, Mass. He was born in
1762, married Phebe, daughter of William and Susanna (PRATT) CUSHMAN, in
1784, a descendant from Rev. Robert CUSHMAN, who preached the first sermon
in New England, at New Plymouth, Mass., December 12, 1621, on the "Sin
and Danger of Self Love," which was printed in London, Eng., and is believed
to be the oldest sermon extant in America. The WASHBURNs came to Randolph
in October, 1784, and located on road 82. Josiah and wife had eight sons
and four daughters, of whom Virgil, born in 1786, died in 1860; Hercules,
a physician, born in 1788, died in 1850; Susannah, born in 1790, married
Rev. Alfred FINNEY, went as a missionary to the Cherokee Indians and died
there; Josiah, born in 1791, died in 1824;. Zebina, born in 1792, died
the same year; Cephas, born in 1793, a Congregational clergyman, went as
a missionary to the Cherokee Nation, and died there in 1860; Phebe, born
in 1795, died in infancy; Jonah, born in 1796, was a merchant at West Randolph,
where he died in. 1847; Content, born in 1797, died in 1870; Daniel, born
February 26, 1800, died October 22, 1886; Titus, born in 1802, died in
1874; Phebe, born in 1804, married Randolph WASHBURN in 1842. Daniel married
Adaline, daughter of Ezekiel and Lydia (SPRAGUE) STRONG, in 1836, and they
reared two sons-James S., born in 1837, died in 1847, and Julian Josiah,
now a resident of Batavia, N. Y.
John MANN, born in Randolph, Mass., came to this town at an early
day and located on the farm now occupied by J. G. MANN. He married Emily,
daughter of Abial HOWARD, by whom he had two sons and one daughter -- John
G, Cornelius L., who died at the age of twenty years, and Emma Manora,
who died at the age of four years. He died in 1874. John G. was born in
1843, married Martha E., daughter of Wells and Mary F. (FLAGG). GRAINGER,
in 1869, and they have one son, John Leroy, born in 1872. Mr. MANN is a
farmer on the old homestead, and a dealer in ready-made clothing in the
corner store, Red Lion Inn block, at West Randolph.