OF ORANGE COUNTY, VT.
OF THE TOWN OF
TOPSHAM is the central town in the northern part of the county,
in latitude 44° 8' and longitude 4° 45’, and is bounded north by
Groton, Caledonia county, east by Newbury, south by Corinth, and west by
Orange. It was chartered by Benning Wentworth, governor of New Hampshire,
September 27, 1763, to George FROST and eighty-one associates, and contained
23,040 acres, the charter bounds being as follows:
The surface of Topsham is uneven -- picturesquely interspersed with
hills and valleys, which form a pleasing landscape picture. The soil is
equally good on the hills and in the valleys, many of the best farms being
upon the highest elevations. The agricultural products are abundant, corn,
rye, oats, and potatoes being the principal crops, while wheat yields a
good harvest on the more elevated farms. There is comparatively very little
barren land in the town.
at the southwesterly corner bound of Newbury, a town lately granted in
this Province lying on the westerly side of Connecticut river, from thence
running north sixty-five degrees west, six miles to a stake and, stones,
then turning off and running north twenty degrees east, six miles to a
stake and stones, then turning off again and running south sixty-nine degrees
east, about six miles to the northwesterly corner of Newbury aforesaid,
thence south twenty degrees west, about six miles and one-half mile by
Newbury aforesaid, to the bounds began at."
The town is watered principally by the head branches of Wait's river.
This stream rises in Harris Gore, in Washington county, passes through
the northeast Dart of Orange, and enters Topsham, running southerly passes
through the villages of West Topsham and Wait's River, thence through Corinth
and Bradford, emptying into the Connecticut river. It affords some good
mill-sites on its course. TABOR Branch, upon which the first grist-mill
in town was built, at East Topsham, flows through nearly the central part
of the town, and empties into Wait's river in the town of Corinth. It also
affords some good mill-sites.
The rocks entering into the geological structure of the town are
principally of the calciferous mica schist formation, the only other strata
being a very small outcrop of granite, syenite and protogine in the northwestern
corner. There is a small bed of marl in the southern part, near Wait's
river where it crosses the border into Corinth.
In 1880 Topsham had a population of 1,365. In 1886 the town had
fifteen school districts and fourteen common schools, taught during the
year by six male and nineteen female teachers, to whom was paid an average
weekly salary, including board, of $7.23 to the males and $4.20 to the
females. There were 354 scholars, seven of whom attended private schools.
The entire income for school purposes was $2,311.79, while the whole amount
expended was $1,905.22, with Milo KEZER, superintendent.
EAST TOPSHAM (Topsham p. o.) is a village located east of the center
of the town. It contains two churches, a general store, saw-mill, grist-mill,
wheelwright shop, and about a dozen dwellings. The village is pleasantly
located in a valley on a branch of Wait's river. The town house is located
WEST TOPSHAM (p. o.), the largest village in the town, is picturesquely
located in a beautiful little valley on Wait's river, in the southwestern
part of the town. It contains two general stores, one lawyer, two physicians,
a grist-mill, saw-mill, blacksmith shop, a union church, used by the Freewill
Baptist and Methodist Episcopal societies, a good hotel, and about twenty-five
WAIT'S RIVER (p. o.) is situated on Wait's river, in the southwestern
part of the town. It contains a general store, blacksmith shop, bobbin
factory, saw-mill, a church, and about a dozen dwellings.
Samuel M. FIELD's grist-mill, located on Wait's river, in West Topsham
village, came into Mr. FIELD's possession in 1877. It grinds about 5,000
bushels of wheat per annum, and about the same number of bushels of other
BEEDE & LOCKE's saw and grist-mill was built by Edson C. SWIFT
about 1856, and was bought by Mr. BEEDE, in company with Orange A. DODGE,
in 1883. In September, 1885, Mr. DODGE disposed of his interest, and in
February, 1886, Mr. BEEDE took in as partner Spaulding LOCKE, the business
now being conducted under the firm name of BEEDE & LOCKE. They employ
four hands, and do about $4,000 worth of business per annum.
Henry E. HOOD's butter-tub factory, on road 59, came into Mr. HOOD's
possession in January, 1884. He employs two men, and manufactures about
3,000 tubs per annum.
Jefferson MOULTON's distillery was built by David MOULTON about
1860. In 1874 it was purchased by the present proprietor, who employs two
men and manufactures $500 worth of cedar, wormwood, tansy and spruce oils
J.A. KEENAN & Co.'s saw-mill is located at the foot of Milligan
pond, on road 5. The first mill on this site was built by James MILLIGAN,
about sixty years ago. This was destroyed by fire, as was also another
erected soon after. The site came into the possession of Mr. KEENAN in
1858, when the present building was erected by him. The firm employs six
men in the manufacture of all kinds of dressed lumber.
Ward P. CARPENTER's saw-mill and chair stock manufactory, located
at West Topsham, was built by Robert SANBORN about 1856. It became the
property of Mr. CARPENTER in 1871. He employs four hands and manufactures
about $4,000 worth of bent felloes, chair stock and spruce lumber annually.
William H. CHALMERS's carriage shop, located in the village of East
Topsham, was built by William DICKEY about 1870, and came into the possession
of Mr. CHALMERS in August, 1855. He employs one man and manufactures all
kinds of wagons and sleighs.
William W. CHALMERS's carriage shop, on TABOR Branch, road 46, was
built by a Mr. PATTRIDGE about 1852. Mr. CHALMERS purchased the property
of Volantine WEED in 1873. He employs three men and does a business of
Henry A. JACKMAN's bobbin factory, on road 51, was built by William
MILLS about 1836, as a grist-mill. Mr. JACKMAN bought the property in 1872,
of Horace G. McDUFFEE, and immediately began the manufacture of bobbins,
which business he has since continued. He does the largest business of
this kind in this section, employing fifteen hands, and manufactures $16,000
worth of bobbins per annum.
The town was organized March 15, 1790, by Samuel HAZELTINE, Esq.,
of Corinth, at a meeting held at the dwelling house of Lemuel TABOR. At
this meeting Lemuel TABOR was elected town clerk; Lemuel TABOR, Robert
MANN, and William CARTER, selectmen; and Samuel CARTER, constable. The
first representative was William THOMPSON, in 1801. Polly, daughter of
Thomas and Sarah McKEITH, was the first child born in the town, October
1, 1783. The first death was that of Samuel P. CROWN, son of Samuel and
Lydia CROWN, August 9, 1790, aged nearly one year. The first marriage recorded
is that of Samuel CROWN and Lydia FOOTE, June 18, 1788. Lemuel TABOR built
the first grist-mill in town, in 1787, on TABOR Branch, where East Topsham
vil1age now is, and received therefore, from the proprietors, a tract of
about 200 acres of land, and was to keep the mill in repair fourteen years.
The early settlers were principally from New Hampshire and. Massachusetts.
The first to settle in the town was Thomas CHAMBERLIN, in 1781, in the
eastern part. He was soon followed by Thomas KEITH and Samuel FARNHAM.
In 1783 they were joined by Robert MANN, Samuel THOMPSON and John CROWN.
CROWN was one of the original grantees of the town, and it appears the
only one who settled here. After the organization of the town, its town
meetings were held in different dwelling houses until 1806, when a town
house was built at East Topsham, at a cost of $203.48. From 1798 to 1801
Nathaniel MILLS, Dea. David BAGLEY, Dea. Jonathan SANBORN, John NUTT and
others settled in the western part of the town, and Nathaniel MILLS built
the first saw-mill in that locality, in 1799, in the village of West Topsham.
Jonathan JENNESS built the first grist-mill in the western part of the
town in 1807.
Jonathan HOOD came to this town with his father, in 1782, when four
years of age. He married Susan FAIRWELL, by whom he had nine children,
viz.: Sophila, Charles, and Susan (Mrs. Benjamin GREEN), now dead; Sargent,
who resides in Vershire; Levi, in Groton; and Mary (Mrs. Aaron HOSMER),
Angeline (Mrs. Elisha MOULTON), Maria (Mrs. Gideon GILBERT), and John,
in this town. John married Diana AVERY, November 8, 1846. Of his eleven
children, Almira, born November 18, 1848, died November 9, 1853; Isabell
(Mrs. John Wright) was born December 9, 1849, and resides in Canaan, Vt.;
Alonzo, born in January, 1851, resides in this town; Almira (Mrs. Moses
SMITH), born December 3, 1851, also resides in this town ; John C., born
March 24, 1854, married Eusebe CLARK, of Ryegate, and has one child; Frank
C., born March 29, 1855, is a leading physician at Marysyille, Cal. Amanda
E. (Mrs. Rufus ROWLAND), born April 27, 1856, and Jennie (Mrs. Charles
W. SMITH), born February 15, 1859, reside in this town; Charlie E., was
born May 19, 1866, and George E., June 24, 1868. One child died in infancy.
Alonzo, the eldest son of John, married Alvina, daughter of Calvin WHITEHILL,
November 27, 1878, by whom he had three children, two, Jennie and Fred,
William HOOD removed to this town with his father in 1872, at the
age of four years. He married Sally CROWN, by whom he had eleven children,
two dying in infancy. Of his other children, Enos and Eliza (Mrs. Sabin
JOHNSON) are dead ; Susan (Mrs. James BATTEN), William, Jr., Roxanna (Mrs.
Ephraim WEED), and Lucinda (Mrs. Zachariah PIERCE) reside in Stannard,
Vt.; Gilbert and Royal in this town ; and Anthony in Newbury. Royal married
Clarissa BATTEN, September 24, 1835, by whom he had seven children, as
follows: Diantha (Mrs. Almon JOHNSON), of West Fairlee; Eliza A. (Mrs.
Alvah SAWYER), Martha (Mrs. James MERRITT), Warren and Elmer in this town;
and Edwin M., born October 5, 1854, married Ruth MERRITT, October 23, 1875,
and has one child, Walter M. born November 1, 1876. Henry E., son of Anthony,
born November 18, 1859, is a manufacturer of butter tubs on road 59.
Zachariah RICHARDSON came to this town from Francestown, N. H.,
about 1800. He was twice married, the second time to Mrs. Betsey HARDING,
after coming to this town. Six or more of his children preceded him here,
among them being Robert F., who married Dorcas HARDY, of Bath, N. H., by
whom he had ten children, seven now living, viz.: Robert, Lovisa, Lucinda,
Dorcas, Lydia, Dolly, and Irene. Robert married Rosina HEALY, of Washington,
N. H., who bore him eight children, five of whom are living, viz.: Robert
F., 2d, Rosina J., Nathaniel H., Eveline J., and Henry C., of this town.
Henry C. was a farmer until the breaking out of the Rebellion when he enlisted,
December 2, 1861, in Co. D, 8th Vt. Vols., and was discharged July 18,
1865. He participated in the battles of Fort Bisland, Bayou Techt, the
running fight from Berwick City to Pattersonville, Winchester, Opequon
Creek, Fisher's Hill, and Cedar Creek. At Fort Bisland, May 13, 1863, he
was struck in the head by a piece of shell. He was also wounded at Cedar
Creek, October 19, 1864, by four different balls, the principal one penetrating
the right side, passing between the spine and the large intestines, and
coming out through the left hip joint. In October, 1865, he bought the
mill now owned by H. A. JACKMAN, on road 51, which he sold to Horace G.
McDUFFEE in 1867, when, in partnership with his brother Nathaniel H., he
opened a furniture store at Lancaster, N. H., which was burned in 1869.
In 1870 he removed to Newton, Iowa, where he followed the occupation of
farming until 1876, when he returned to this town and bought a farm on
road 18. Here he remained until 1881, when he removed to the farm where
he now lives, on road 54. He was twice married, first to Jennie L. WHICHER,
of Newbury, October 12, 1865, by whom he had two daughters, Cora and Carrie,
she dying September 6, 1868. For his second wife he married Lydia M. WHITEHILL,
a widow, of Groton. Vt., March 17, 1869, who bore him five children, viz.:
Robert H., William C., Mary V., George H., and Albert N. She died March
26, 1886. Of Robert's other children, Robert F., 2d, lives in Washington,
Vt.; Rosina J. (Mrs. David E. STEVENS) in Elgin Minn.; Nathaniel H. in
Lancaster, N. H.; and Eveline I. (Mrs. George THOMPSON) in Grand Meadow,
David BAGLEY settled in this town previous to 1800. He married Sally
ANDREWS and reared twelve children. Three, John A., of Piermont, N. H.,
Charles W., of Chelsea, and Gilman, of this town, are living. One son,
Enoch, now dead, married Fanny JEWELL, by whom he had five children, Sarah
A., Jane E., (Mrs. Edwin M. KIDDER), Charles, Enoch, Jr., and Newell C.
The latter, who never married, lives in Topsham, being the third generation
to occupy the old homestead. In the early days, before a church was erected
in the town, the Baptists used to hold their meetings in this house, and
when the house would not contain them all, they would adjourn to a barn
still standing on the premises. The BAGLEY family have been prominent in
the town. David BAGLEY, Jr., was born in this town. He was thrice married,
first to Lois BULLARD, by whom he had four children, two of whom are living,
David, 2d, in Canaan, N. H., and William in this town. His second wife
was Ploomy SIMPSON, by whom he had three children, two, Oramel and Gilman,
now living in this town. The latter married Sarah B. SMITH, November 10,
1864, by whom he has had one child, David E., born September 1, 1865. David,
Jr., marrried for his third wife Voda PAGE, of Corinth, who survives him,
a resident of Manchester, N. H. He died October 29, 1882.
Zachariah CILLEY was born in this town July 10, 1800. He married
Jane DICKEY, in October, 1836, and reared five children, viz.: Lucinda,
Elizabeth, Joann, Lydia and James M. Mr. CILLEY died September 18, 1852.
His widow married James CROFFRIN, by whom she had one child, Charlie, who
was born October 14, 1860, and died April 14, 1876.
John FORD came to this town from Cape Ann, Mass., about 1800, with
his wife and three children. Five children were born after coming here.
Deacon William FORD, son of John, married Bethiah GLEASON, September 20,
1827, by whom he had five children, viz.: Julia, Lois S., Olive G., John
and Hannah E. William died October 16, 1880.
William CILLEY was born in Francestown, N. H., in 1773, came to
this town in 1795, and settled on road 32. He married Nancy RICHARDSON,
by whom he had six children, viz.: Lorenzo D. and Susan, now dead; Nancy
(Mrs. Jacob TAPLIN) and Daniel C. reside in this town; Mariah (Mrs. Thomas
J. WADLEIGH), in Plainview, Minn., and Benjamin F. in Dover, N. H. Daniel
C. married Harriet E. CHAMBERLAIN, who died March 9, 1877. They had four
children, Lorenzo D., Marion (Mrs. Frank SCRIBNER), Josiah and Willie D.
Mr. CILLEY married for his second wife Harriet (FLETCHER) JAMES.
Cutting COOK, from Campton, N. H., settled in Topsham about 1808
or 1812, nearly midway between the villages of Wait's River and West Topsham,
where he cleared a farm. He died in Orange some fifteen years since, aged
eighty-five years. By his first wife, Ruth DOLBIE, he had a large family,
of whom are now living Samuel, of Cranston, R. I.; Mary A. (Mrs. John MILLS);
William B., of Norwich ; Eliza (Burroughs), of Barre; George J., of Orange;
and Edwin S., of Post Mills.
Benjamin GREEN came to this town from Newbury in 1808, and settled
on road 28. He married Judith RANDALL, by whom he had four children, as
follows: Louisa, now dead; Benjamin, Jr., and Nelson, who reside in this
town; and Erastus, who married Laura BUTTERFIELD, by whom he had three
children Matilda, who married George CORRUTH, and has four children living,
Charles E., Nancy, Laura B. and Hattie; Welcome M., who resides in this
town, and Laura J., who died young. Erastus has lived in this town seventy-five
years, and is now, at the age of eighty-two, a vigorous and healthy old
gentleman. Welcome M. was born here in 1837, and married Julia ORN, of
Albany, Vt., in 1862. He is one of the leading farmers of the town. Edwin,
son of Benjamin, Jr., and Susan (HOOD) GREEN, was born in this town January
28, 1855. He married Mary E. CLUFF, July 6, 1881.
Abner CURRIER came from Amesbury, Mass., about 1818, bringing with
him his wife and two children, Ebenezer and Miriam. Ebenezer married Judith
WEED. One of his sons, Ebenezer, Jr., married Margaret KEENAN, by whom
he had four children, one dying in infancy; Eveline, born September 5,
1856, dying February 4, 1871; Leila A., born October 3, 1854, now living
in this town; and Ira, born January 7, 1859, also a resident of this town.
Margaret, wife of Ebenezer, Jr., died February 3, 1866, his death occurring
April 4, 1881. Both were devout Christians, and attended the Presbyterian
Abner CURRIER, son of Ebenezer and Judith CURRIER, who settled here
at an early day, married Mary A. GARLAND in 1843, and had born to him seven.
children, viz.: Mary (Mr. Albert PATTEN), of Stannard, Vt.; Judith (Mrs.
William BURGESS), of East Corinth; Garland A., of this town; Adelaide (Mrs.
Proctor NORRIS), of Lowell, Mass.; Charles E., of Brattleboro, Vt.; Lois
(Mrs. Rodman BLAKE), of Corinth; and Olive T., who died in 1879. Garland
A. married Betsey A. SMITH, of this town, October 11, 1869, by whom he
has had three children, viz.: William H., Effie L., and Chancy H. He has
held the office of town auditor for three years.
Asa DIVOLL, son of Josiah and Jane M. (WAIN) DIVOLL, of Westminster
Vt., was the first of that name to settle in this town. He was born February
6, 1768, married Lydia SABIN in 1799, by whom he had thirteen children,
only four of whom are living, viz,: Willard, in New York city, Asa,
Jr., Persis (Mrs. Timothy MESERVE) and Josiah in this town. Josiah
married Lucinda PEABODY and reared five children -- Albert, Charles,
Emily, Morris L., and Mary J. Emily (Mrs. John TAGGART), of this
town, and Mary J. (Mrs. Chester DICKEY) of Washington, are the only
ones living. Charles and Morris L. gave their lives in the service
of their country during the late war, the former dying of wands received
in the battle of the Wilderness, and the latter of fever at Fredericksburg.
After the death of his first wife, in 1844, Josiah married Christiana
SHIELD, in 1842, by whom he had no children.
John CLARK immigrated to this country about 1776, and settled in
Newbury, Vt. He reared a family of ten sons and one daughter. One son,
Timothy, a shoemaker and farmer, married Betsey LADD, who bore him eight
boys and three girls, Hiram A., of this town, being the only one now living.
After the death of his first wife Timothy married Martha (WHITMAN} Gerald,
by whom he had no children. Hiram A. was born in Newbury, April 4, 1811.
He was engaged in various occupations, at one time being employed in rafting
logs on the Connecticut river. He also ran a boat from Wells River to Hartford,
Conn., carrying lumber down and returning with a cargo of merchandise,
propelling the boat by means of a long pole. He was twice married, first
to Affa TEMPLE, January 27, 1831, who bore him five children, viz.: Alvira
and Lorenzo D. B., now dead; Betsey (Mrs. Rufus C. BLODGETT), of Monroe,
N. H.; .Jane W. (Mrs. Ora KITTRIDGE), of Walden, Caledonia, county; and
Joel T., of this town. His second wife was Barbary BATCHELDER. Joel T.
was born in 1838, married Clara DICKEY, June 16, 1870; and has one child,
Hattie B. He was a member of the Constitutional convention in 1870, and
in 1872 was appointed postmaster at Topsham, which position he now holds.
In early life he followed the occupation of a cooper and farmer. In 1878
he was employed as salesman in the store of Duncan STEWART. In 1881 he
bought the stock of goods of STEWART, and continued the business until
1883, when lie sold to G. H. PILLSBURY. Mr. PILLSBURY sold to J. R. McLAM,
the present proprietor, who employs Mr. CLARK as salesman.
Robert FORSYTHE came to this town from Ryegate, Vt., with his parents,
when quite young. He has been twice married, first to Avis JONES, who bore
him one child, now dead, and second to Adeline BOICE, by whom he has had
two children, Everett, who resides with his father in this town, the other
dying in infancy. Mr. FORSYTHE has been selectman fifteen years, and overseer
of the poor and lister several times.
William CHALMERS, Sr., came from Scotland to Newbury in 1835. He
married Isabel Barker and reared a family of eleven children, only six
of whom were born in this country. One son, George, came from Scotland
about 1839, married Elizabeth FAIRFULL, by whom he had eleven children,
only three of whom, Christian, Margaret, and William W., are living. William
W., who resides in this town, married Almira A. Olmstead, who bore him
eleven children -- William H., Ella M., Clara B., Martha A. and Mary E.,
twins, Henry W., Lizzie E., Anna A., Florence E,, John A, and George I.
William H. was born. May 28, 1862. He married Minnie BUXTON, of Brookfield,
and has two children, Fanny A. and James R. Mr. CHALMERS is a carriage-maker,
in the village of East Topsham.
Henry A. JACKMAN was born in Barre, Vt., in 1829. When a young man
he went to Boston, Mass., and engaged in the trucking business, which he
continued for eight years. In 1861 he enlisted in the 2d Mass. Lt. Art.,
in which he served four years. He then, in company with his brother Daniel
P., bought a grist-mill in East Corinth. He continued here four years,
when he engaged in the bobbin business, in this town. Mr. JACKMAN married
Nancy M. ROWLAND in 1869, and has four children, Alfred C., Winthrop T.,
Henry A. and Mary E. He was a member of the legislature in 1876.
Samuel DICKERMAN was the first of the name to settle in the town.
He was twice married, and had seven children by his first wife and five
by the second. Several of his children remained in this town, married and
reared families; but none of them are here now. One son, Lewis, married
Diantha ORDWAY, of Tunbridge, who bore him five children, two of whom,
Mary (Mrs. John F. PHILBRICK) and Palmer J., are living in this town, the
latter on the old homestead, on road 51. Lewis was a generous, noble hearted
man. He died very suddenly April 6, 1877.
John WILLEY, who died in Wheelock, Vt., at the remarkable age of
105 years, was the paternal ancestor of the Willeys of this town. His son
John, Jr., reared a family of five girls and five boys, all of whom are
now dead. One son, William, married Mary LADD, who bore him ten children,
five of whom are living, viz.: David in Dakota; Tamson (Mrs. Benjamin DOW),
in Goffstown, N. H.; Mary J. (Mrs. Nahum BARRY), in Sheffield, Vt.; and
John and Horace in this town. John has been representative from this town
two terms. He was twice married, first to Catharine DANFORTH, who bore
him eight children, viz.: Emily (Mrs. Israel WOOD), and Eugene E., of Barry,
Vt.; Delia (Mrs. John FOSS), of Plainfield; Frances (Mrs. George LOVERING),
of Rutland, Iowa; Lucian E., of Humboldt, Iowa; George K., of Springfield,
Mass.; Everett E , who married Jennie WOOD, May 21, 1885, a resident of
this town; and Oramel D., who married Lucinda KIMBALL, April 28, 1868,
also of this town. The latter has two children, Katie R. and Arthur K.
John WILLEY's second wife was Cynthia CHEANEY, by whom he had no .children.
Albert P. NEWMAN, son of Curtis C. and Emily NEWMAN, was born in
Washington in 1847. He married Cordelia MORSE and reared five children,
viz.: Robert, George, Mertie, Bernard and Hazzle. Mr. NEWMAN has two brothers
and a sister now living, in Boston, Mass.
Capt. Welbee J. BUTTERFIELD, son of Welbee and Eliza F. (BROWN)
BUTTERFIELD, was born in this town April 18, 1828. He married Sarah J.
MOODY, of Parsonfield, Me., in 1852, by whom he has had four children --
Cora H. (Mrs. Claudius BROCK), who died November 3, 1875; Edward N., who
died May 28, 1862; Eliza (Mrs. Stephen W. GEORGE), and George F., who married
Susie A. SAWYER, and has one child, Mary A. Mr. BUTTERFIELD acquired his
military title as captain of Co. K, 3d N. H. Regt., with which company
he was in active service two years. He was a merchant in Dover, N. H.,
for ten years; but since the war, owing to poor health, has been engaged
in no business. He has been justice of the peace four years.
Samuel F. DOWNING, Jr., son of Samuel and Lucinda (FIFIELD) DOWNING,
was born in Williamstown in 1820. He married Mary P. RICHARDSON, who bore
him two children, Albert F., now dead, and Oscar V. The latter married
Hannah R. SHERMAN, of Littleton, N. H. They have two children, Fred A.
and Frank O., both of whom are living with their parents in this town.
Caleb EMERY was born in Washington, in 181o, and died April 16,
1866. He married Eliza PEPPER, who bore him four children -- Loren, of
Corinth; Lucy (Mrs. Roswell ADAMS), of Northfield; Edward, of Washington;
and Harry, of this town. Harry married Sarah LOCKE, of Corinth, December
31, 1860, and has had born to him nine children, viz.: Mary C., Clayton
L. and Clinton L., twins, Clinton L., 2d, Abbie J., Frank L., Willard J.,
Annis J., .and Anna L.
Richard MILLER was born in Marlow, N. H., in 1808, came to this
town about 1856, and first settled near JACKMAN's bobbin factory, on road
51: He married Ruth CARTER, of Stanstead, Canada, about 1848, by whom he
had seven children. One son, John H., born August 10, 1844, in Fairlee,
Vt., married Marion HEATH, November 12, 1870, and had five children, viz.:
Edward, Emma, Elliot, and Albert, and one who died in infancy. John H.
served in Co. G, 9th Vt. Regt., from January 4, 1864, till December 1,
Lorenzo D. CILLEY was born in this town February 20, 1850. He learned
the blacksmith’s trade, and in 1879 opened a shop in East Brookfield, which
he continued for one year. He is now engaged in setting up engines. July
5, 1871, he married Marilla JAMES, of this town, who bore him three children
-- Willie D.; Bertha L., and Josiah E.
Thomas W. DICKEY, son of William G. and grandson of Robert, was
born August 26, 1835. His father married Susan BROWN, by whom he had eight:
children, viz.: Polly A. (Mrs. Robert LANG), William G., Jr., Martha J.
(Mrs. William B. STEARNS), and Hattie B. (Mrs. Moses SHEREFF), of Manchester,
N. H.; Michael C., who died in 1861; Petry D., also dead; Clarissa (Mrs.
Joel. CLARK), and Thomas W., of this town. The latter enlisted in Co. D,
1st Vt. Regt., was discharged, when he enlisted in Co. D, 8th Vt. Regt.
He married Nettie E. WRIGHT, of Ryegate, Vt., and has had born to him five
children, viz.: Willie W., Nella J., Carrie B., Cora E., and Martha A.
Mr. DICKEY now follows the occupation of a cooper and carpenter.
James BUCHANAN was born in Scotland about 1816, and came to this
country when quite young. He married Mary WHICHER, of Newbury. One child,
Emma, died in Boston. George L. was born July 26, 1848, in Newbury. He
enlisted as a sailor on the U. S. sloop Vandalia, and served in the engagement
at Fort Fisher, and in the Cape Fear expedition. While unloading the guns
from the gunboat Maratansa he was so severely injured that the amputation
of his leg above the knee was necessary, for which he now draws a pension.
He married Ella A. PAGE, of Ryegate, Vt., December 5, 1874, by whom he
had one child who died in infancy.
John McLAM came from Scotland to Ryegate, Vt., about 1836, bringing
with him a wife and eleven children. He died in Ryegate, aged seventy-seven
years, as did also his widow, at the age of ninety-nine. Of his children,
Andrew, John, James, Catharine (Mrs. William HUNTER) and Margaret: (Mrs.
James WHITEHILL) are dead; William J. resides in Ryegate; Jane (Mrs. William
YOUNG), in, Peacham, Vt.; Ann (Mrs. William WHITEHILL), in Groton; Robert
in Ryegate; Walter in the West; and Alexander in Canada. James McLAM married
Agnes LEITCH, by whom he had nine children, viz.: Mary J. (Mrs. William
GIBSON), of Barnet, Vt.; Isabell (Mrs. James M. DOE), of' Ryegate; Joseph
B., who married Ruby A. BELL, has four children, -- James F., Louise J.,
Charles E., and Harry C., and' resides in this town; Elizabeth,. who died
at the age of five years; John A. and Agnes L., twins, the former now a
resident of Ryegate, the latter dying when about eighteen years of age;
Sarah E., of Newton, Mass.; Sophia M. (Mrs. Charles H. TAPLIN), of this
town; and James R. The latter, on arriving at his majority, went to Boston,
Mass., and engaged in the trucking business,. which he followed for about
three years. He then taught school in Ryegate one term, when he removed
to Iowa, in April, 1865, and there remained one season. He returned to
Ryegate, where he worked on a farm until January 1, 1869, when he came
to this town and, in company with Duncan STEWART, opened a store in East
Topsham village. In 1873 he sold his interest in the store to Mr. STEWART.
In 1871 he was chosen town clerk and treasurer, which positions he has
held for fourteen years. After disposing of his mercantile interests he
devoted himself to insurance, pension and town business, with some farming,
until November 1, 1885, when he purchased the store he now has. He is also
engaged in the undertaking business, having establishments in East Topsham,
West Topsham and Groton villages. He has been an active participant in
town affairs, being representative in 1882-83. February r, 1871, he married
Susan J. WORMWOOD, who has borne him four children -- Elmer D., George
L., Cora J. and Agnes M..
John LANG came to this country from Scotland about 1821, at the
age of about twenty-one years. He lived in Ryegate a few years, thence
came to this town, and located off road 20, where he died in 1872, aged
seventy-two years. His wife, Eleanor, died in 1884, in her eighty-eighth
year. Of his family of seven children, Nancy and Margaret are dead; David
resides in California; Alexander in Hanover; Eleanor, John, Jr., and James
in this town. John, Jr., married Orillor A. MILLS, of Topsham, and has
two children, Arthur M. and Milo J. James LANG was born October 23, 1839,
in this town, and married Eliza CALDWELL, by whom he has had six children,
viz.: Gustavus T., who died in 1885, James C., Nellie E.; Lizzie M., Minnie
A. and Martin.
John BATCHELDER became a resident of this town about 1816. His wife,
Hannah (LANG) BATCHELDER, and three children, came with him. Of his family
of nine children, John, Jr., Hilas and Lyman are residents of this town.
Lyman was born in this town May 18, 1825. He married Hannah RICHARDSON,
of Orange, and has one child, Lydia (Mrs. John, D. MCCALLISTER), of South
William BUTSON, son of Joseph and Mary (WYDE) BUTSON, was born in
Devonshire, Eng., came to this country in 1864, and in 1867 settled in
this .town. He was twice married, first to Emma FROST, who died April 30,
1876, by whom he had five children, Lillias (Mrs. David VANCE) of Barnard,
Vt.; William, Jr., Lydia A. and Walter, of this town; and Robert, now dead.
His second wife, Margaret VANCE, whom he married March 13, 1877, bore him
four children, Mabel and David, now dead, and Robert and Sarah.
Robert BUTSON, a native of Devonshire, Eng., was born June 3, 1829,
and his parents were Joseph and Mary (WYDE) BUTSON. He married Elizabeth
J. STONE, daughter of William and Elizabeth (REDWOOD) STONE, also a native
of Devonshire, and with her removed to this country in May, 1864, settling
in this town on road 8, in April, 1869. In 1873 he removed to the farm
he now occupies. Of his family of four children, Mary J. was born in Devonshire,
and married Rufus HOSMER, of this town; Elizabeth A., also a native of
Devonshire, married Edwin GARDNER, and died in 1885; Emma D. and Ellen
J. are living.
Duncan McKAY, son of Donald and Hannah (McDONALD) McKAY, was born
in the parish of Kilcanity, Scotland, in 1832, and removed to this country
when about twenty years of age. His wife, Jennette GRANT, a native of Scotland,
whom he married in 1870, bore him six children, viz.: Mary H., who died
in 1877, Duncan G., Catharine A., Sarah E., James G. and Mary E. Mr. McKAY
served in Co. K, 18th Mass. Regt., and participated in the battles of Fredericksburg,
second Bull Run, Wilderness, Petersburg, Vicksburg, Cedar Creek, Cold Harbor,
Spottsylvania Court House, Appomattox, Gettysburg and Cold Harbor.
George W. PHELPS was born in Middlesex, Vt., July 4, 1817. He married
Mary J. HUTCHINSON, of Moretown, Vt., and reared a family of five girls
and, four boys. The eldest son, George W., Jr., was born July 14, 1847,
in Moretown. He enlisted in Co. I, 9th Vt. Regt., June 3, 1862, and served
in the battles of Winchester, Harper's Ferry, Fair Oaks, Chapin's Farm,
Fairfax Court House, Spottsylvania and Newbern, and was discharged at the
close of the war. February 19, 1871, he married N. Louise HOLT, by whom
he has had six children, viz.: Edgar A., now dead, Lizzie J., Grace M.,
George S., Albion M., and Ernest A.
David EASTMAN was one of the first settlers in this town. His son
Thomas was born in 1795, was twice married, and reared a family of ten
children. A son, William G., married Harriet WHITE, by whom he had five
children, of whom Flora R., Martha E. (Mrs. Edward R. COLBY); and Thomas
S. are living in this town. Thomas S. married Patience L. HUTTON, and has
two children -- Captain T. and Harriet L.
Moses DARLING was a son of John DARLING, who was one of the early
settlers of Groton, Vt. He married Abigail PRAY, who has borne him twelve
children, seven of whom are now living, viz.: Ebenezer in California; Daniel
in Florida;. John in Wisconsin; Stephen in Boston, Mass.; Olive (Mrs. Benjamin
EMERSON) in Johnson, Vt.; Harriet (Mrs. Hosea WELCH, Jr.,) in Groton, Vt.;
and Peter H. in this town. Peter H. has been twice married, first to Mary
E. HOOPER, who bore him seven children, only two of whom, Luella (Mrs.
Rufus PEIRSON) and Hattie, are living. By his second wife, Melinda (THORNTON)
MILLER, he has had one child, John. Mr. DARLING is one of the principal
farmers of the town.
Charles WEED, a Revolutionary soldier, came to this town soon after
the close of that war. Joseph, a son of Charles, married Miriam CURRIER,
and reared a family of four boys and three girls, three of whom, Orissa
(Mrs. Daniel RUNNELS), of Warren, N. H., Joseph and Charles, of this town,
are living. Charles was born in this town April 22, 18r1. August 25, 1837,
he enlisted in the 2d U. S. Infantry, in which he served three years in
Florida, in the Indian war, then was stationed at Buffalo, N. Y., two years,
and received his discharge August 2K, 1842. He enlisted in Co. G, 15th
Vt. Regt., SeptembER 15, 1862, and served until January 27, 1863. At Arlington
Heights he severely injured his ankle, for which he draws a pension. In
September, 1842, he married Mary A. DAVIS, of New York, who bore him one
child, Rhoda (Mrs. Henry BOWEN), of Newbury.
Elisha MOULTON, son of David, who formerly lived in Corinth, married
Angeline HOOD, and had a family of seven children, one of whom is dead;.
Dora (Mrs. J. McGOWEN) resides in Essex, N. Y.; Ella (Mrs. Oscar BARNES),
in Eagle Bridge, N. Y.; Mary (Mrs. George BARNES) in Concord, Vt.; and,
Ada, Jefferson, Charles and Henry E. in this town. The latter married Lodema
DARLING, April 7, 1881, and has two children living -- Ervin O. and Lewis
Captain Clapp SUMNER was born in 1749, and died in 1807. In early
life he was captain of a sailing vessel. Mary STORY, his wife, who died
November 30, 1817, bore him eight children. One son, George, was twice
married, first to Sarah TITUS, and second to Sophia FLANDERS. Of his family
of six children, Clapp lives in Illinois, Lemuel in Lawrence, Mass., and
Charles, Harvey, and Edwin S. in this town. Edwin S. married, first, Mary
ELLIOT, who died in 1876, and second, Mary E., daughter of Nelson GREEN,
of this town, by whom he has three children, Charles E., George, and Leonard
Moses FROST, who came from Kennebunk, Me., to Groton, Vt., at an
early date, was the paternal ancestor of those of that name now resident
in this town. Of his family of twelve children, six are dead and six are
living, none of them in this town, however. One son, John, married Finnette
JONES, and reared a family of eleven children, nine of whom are living.
George B., son of John, married Fanny BARTLETT, November 17, 1866, and
has two children, Nettie R. and Eugene S. Mr. FROST served in the 3d Vt.
Regt. till the close of the war, and participated in the battles of the
Wilderness, Spottsylvania, and Charleston, Va., was captured at Winchester,
September 19, 1864, was taken to Libby prison, and thence to Belle Isle.
Edwin F. FROST, brother of George B., married Nina HALK, of Montpelier,
February, 2, 1885; and Lovell, another brother, married Jane CORRUTH and
has two children, William E. and Blanche E.
Matthew CALDWELL, son of John and Jane (KEENAN) CALDWELL, was born
August 24, 1851. He married Eliza (Welsh) KEENAN, May 2, 1882, and has
two children, Hosea and John.
Duncan McKAY came from the Island of Isler, Argyleshire, Scotland,
in 1855, bringing with him his wife and nine children -- seven boys and
two girls, viz.: Helen, who resides in California; James, in Oakland, Cal.;.
John N. and Thomas S. in Montana; George L. in Arizona; Archibald L. in
South America; Margaret (Mrs. William. H ARMSTRONG) in Oakland, Cal.; Edward
in this town, and Duncan, Jr., who died in Arizona in 1863. Duncan McKAY,
Sr., died May 10, 1866. His widow survives him, a resident of Oakland,
Cal. Edward was born May 18, 1831. He returned to Scotland in 1849 and
married Mary STEWART, of Argyleshire, Campbeltown, by whom he has had eight
children, viz.: Duncan, 2d, born January 18, 1854; Mary S. (Mrs. Frederick
RALPH), of Concord, N. H., born September 25, 1855; Genie (Mrs. Fred HYDE),
of Concord, born November 29, 1865; Charles S., of Dubuque, Iowa, born
February 25, 1861; Margaret, of Concord, N. H., born November 20, 1863;
Edward G., born January 7, 1865, died July 15, 1885; Dugald S., born February
3, 1867; and John N., born October 19 1868, died June 15, 1885. He has
been prominent in town affairs, was selectman, town grand juror, and in
1885-86 was representative to the legislature. Mr. McKAY is one of the
prominent farmers of the town.
George WEED was born in Topsham, November 20, 181g. In 1862 he married
Margaret CARRUTH, who bore him two children, Henry O. and James S. Henry
O. married Mirabelle CORRUTH, May 12, 1864, and has had three children,
Fred, Lydia N., and one who died in infancy. Mr. WEED is now carrying on
the lumber business in this town with his brother, James S.
Daniel KEENAN came to this country with his wife, Margaret McCOWEN,
and four children, about 1820. Four more children were born to them after
arriving here. Of their children, three are now living, William and Edward
in Groton, Vt., and. Josiah in this town. The latter was born July 31,
1839, married Lucinda GATES, January 11, 1852, and has had born to him
six children, viz.: Francis J., who married Vina DUNN, of Ryegate, Vt.;
Ida J. (Mrs. Benjamin FULLER), who resides in this town and has two children,
Maude B. and Mabel L.; Maurice R., a resident of Cornwall, Iowa; Margaret
G., of this town; Charles E. and Fred L., the latter of whom died August
John ARTHUR was born in Renfrewshire, Scotland, in 1812, and is
a son of James and Elizabeth (SHAW) ARTHUR. He came to this country in
1840, and in 1849 married Sarah EMERY, of Groton, Vt., and has had three
children, viz.: Agnes, now dead, Andrew J., of Ryegate, Vt., and William
C., who married Georgiana MILLER, November 26, 1884, and has one child,
John BUTSON, son of William and Mary (HILL) BUTSON, was born in
Somerset, Eng., November 15, 1835. May 2, 1864, he married Sarah A. NORTON,
daughter of John NORTON, of Devonshire, Eng., by whom he has had nine children,
viz.: James, John, Henry, Ella T., Charles, Frederick, Robert, Henry, and
James CALDWELL came to this country about 1790. His son, James,
Jr., was born in Ryegate, Vt., December 10, 1808, and married Jennie CRAIG,
March 17, 1835. She died in February, 1838, leaving one child, Mary (Mrs.
Gustavus TIBBETTS), of Newport, Ill. He then married Nancy CHAMBERLAIN,
of Newbury, January 7, 1841, who bore him children as follows Joseph, who
lives in Buckfield, Me.; Eliza (Mrs. James LANG), and James R., in this
town; and Martin, a physician, who practiced at Herscher, Ill., and died
in 1884. James R. was born September 3, 1846, married Ella VANCE, January
15, 1878, and least three children, viz.: Rosamond, Nathan R., and Joseph.
Samuel BISHOP, a native of Laconia, N. H., was born previous to
1800. He married Hannah CASWELL and had sixteen children. One son, Leonard,
was born in Stanstead, Can., in 1808. He was twice married, first to Rebecca
WEBBER, who bore him six children, viz.: Jacob, Newell; George, Elizabeth,
Elzina, and Sarah. His second wife was Sarah A. APPLETON, of Bath, N. H.,
by whom he had six children, viz.: Cynthia, Albon F., Frederick, Jennie,
Franklin, and Rebecca. Albon F. was twice married, first to Philena MERRILL,
August 8, 1865, who bore him two children, Rose and Charles, and second
to Kate PERKINS, June 22, 1873, by whom he had three children, Eugene and
Genieve, and one who died in infancy.
George K. CHURCH, son Richard B. and Mehitable (WILDS) CHURCH, was
born in this town May 1, 1844. In September, 1862, he enlisted in Co. G,
6th Vt. Regt., and served till the close of the war, participating in the
battles of Fredericksburg, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Sugar
Hill, Cedar Creek, Winchester and Gettysburg. After the close of the war
Mr. CHURCH removed to Elgin, Minn., where he engaged in farming for about
three years, then removed to Manchester, N. H., and soon after returned
to this town. In 1872 he began manufacturing proprietary medicines, and
in 1884 engaged in the business of packing eggs. He married Lydia CILLEY,
of this town, September 26, 1865, and has two daughters, Myrtie and Lena.
Oliver L. WATSON, M. D., son of Oliver and Esther (BROWN) WATSON,
was born in Worcester, Vt., May 1, 1828. In 1862 he entered the University
of Vermont, at Burlington, where he graduated in 1864, receiving the degree
of M. D. He first practiced in Waterbury Center, Vt., one year, then removed
to Middlesex, where he remained five years, when he came to this town,
in 1867. He held the office of deputy sheriff, has been justice of the
peace twelve years, and in 1884 was appointed notary public. He has been
twice married, first, August 19, 1852, to Nancy, DARLING, of Worcester,
who died October 7, 1877; and second to Delia PEAKE, October 13, 1880.
By his first wife he had three children, viz.: Milton B., born June 4,
1853, died August 28, 1872; Horace L., born October 22, 1863, is now a
medical student in the University of Vermont; and Jessie C., born December
13, 1872, resides in this town with her father. Milton B. at the time of
his death was a student of Dartmouth college and was considered a young
man of rare scholastic genius. By his second wife Dr. WATSON has had one
child, Edwin C., born June 22, 1884.
Lemarquis TUBBS was born in Essex, Vt., and was twice married, first
to a Miss CROWELL, of Hyde Park, Vt., by whom he had one child, who died
in infancy. After the death of his first wife, which occurred about a year
after their marriage, he was again wedded; to Roxana NEWTON, of this town,
who bore him two children, Inez, who resides in Boston, and Clarence M.,
of this town. August 1, 1882, Clarence M. formed a partnership with Sylvester
G. MEAKER, in the general merchandise business, which is still carried
on, the style of the firm being MEAKER & TUBBS. September 10, 1885,
Mr. TUBBS was appointed postmaster at West Topsham, which position he now
holds. He married Lilian DICKEY, of this town, September 4, 1884, and they
have one child, Flossie M., born July 18, 1885.
Levi BURTON, M. D., son of. Jacob and Kitura (PALMER) BURTON, was
born October 30, 1803. He graduated from the University of Vermont, was
associated with Dr. STEVENS, of Charlestown, Mass., for two years, and
then, commenced practice in this town. Later he located in Washington,
where he remained but a few years, when he returned to Topsham, in 1845,
and practiced here until his death, August 20, 1867. He was an honorable,
kind hearted man, and an able physician. He was married, November 20, 1845,
to Sarah JENNESS, daughter of Hon. John JENNESS, and died without issue.
Eli L. DENSMORE, grandson of Eli and son of Dennison and Sarah A.
(PEAKE) DENSMORE, was born in this town July 18, 1851. He married Ella
F. FLINT, of Montpelier, February 28, 1875, and has two children, Dennison
and Una. In 1874 Mr. DENSMORE formed a partnership with Horace A. CLOUGH,
in the general merchandise business, and opened a store in Hanover, N.
H., which he continued for about two and half years, when he sold out and
opened a store in West Brookfield. Here he remained but a short time when
he removed to West Topsham village, where he is now located in the general
Elbridge G. GREEN was born in Bridgewater, N. H., and removed to
Tunbridge when YOUNG. June 29, 1856, he married Mary WILDS, by whom he,
had three children, viz.: Viola E. (Mrs. Frank JEFFERS), of Washington,
Sarah K., who died April 2, 1856, and Charles E. Mr. GREEN died October
22,. 1872, and his widow married James WHITCOMB, who died December 6, 1884.
Parker DEXTER came to this town from Concord, Essex county, about
1826, and built a log cabin just over the line in the town of Orange, and
a saw-mill in this town. At this time there were no highways in the northwestern
part of the town where he located. He married Betsey KING, who bore him,
fifteen children, twelve of whom grew to maturity. One son, Martin, was
born in this town October 15, 1836. He married, first, Mary RICHARDSON,
in March, 1860, by whom he had five children -- Eva J., now dead; Ursula.
(Mrs Warren PAGE), Bertha J., Lizzie (Mrs. Alburn WILLIAMS), all residents
of this town, and King S, who died in infancy. Mr. DEXTER's second wife
was Amanda (TILSTON) HOWLAND, whom he married October 5, 1880, and by whom
he has had two children, Isaac P., now dead, and Sophia,
Matthew ALLEN, son of John and Mary (WALLACE) ALLEN, was born in
Glasgow, Scotland, March 18, 1836, and removed to, this country with his
parents when a child. He married Laura A. MAGOON, of this town, September
23, 1862, by whom he has had three children, Frank, Lizzie, who died in
1872, and Minnie. They have also an adopted son, Albert FORBES. In September,
1862, Matthew enlisted in Co. F, 22d Conn. Regt., and served nine months.
John KIMBALL, Jr., came from New Hampshire when a young man, and
settled in Corinth. After a few years he came to this town and located
on, the farm now occupied by Matthew ALLEN, off road 15, and about 1829,
removed to road 36. He married Hannah PECK, by whom he had twelve children,
four of whom are now living, viz.: John in Kingston, N. H.; George in Auburndale,
Mass.; James and Wilbur F. in this town, the latter on road 36. Wilbur
F. married Ann ALLEN, of this town, April 16, 1851; and has had two children
-- Warren G. and Flora A., the latter dying March 7, 1879, aged twenty-nine
years. James KIMBALL, son of John, Jr., married Ruth ROGERS, in December,
1838, who bore him four children, viz.: Julia and George K., now dead,
Lucinda (Mrs. Oramel WILLEY) who resides in this town, and one who died
John SMITH, an early settler of Hanover, N. H., was the paternal
ancestor of the SMITHs of this town. He had a large family of children,
all of whom are now dead. One son, William, married Polly PARKER and settled
in Bradford, and reared a family of nine children, only two of whom, Mary
L. and Edmund H., are living, the former in Iowa and the latter in this
town. Edmund H. married Huldah M. KIDDER, of West Fairlee, September 15,
1844, and by her had four children -- George W., Albert D., Charles F.,
and Arthur T. George W. was born November 29, 1845, and died August 21,
1847. Albert D., born October 14, 1848, enlisted in the 9th Vt. Regt.,
was taken sick at Brattleboro, before the regiment left the state, and
died in Bradford, while on his way home, February 3, 1864. Charles F.,
born. December 9, 1854, married R. Augusta PERKINS, of Middleton, Mass.,
June 17, 1877, and has two children, Bessie M. and Bradley P. Arthur T.,
born, September 9, 1856, married Nettie D. COLLINS, October 10, 1877, and
has one child, Arthur Leroy.
Orsamus F. BAGLEY, son of David and Ploomy (SIMPSON) BAGLEY, was
born in Orange, in 1841. He was twice married, first to Mary MINARD, who
bore him four children, Flora, Herbert, Mattie, and George, and died February
13, 1875. For his second wife he married Carrie SMITH, November 28, 1876,
who bore him five children -- Mary, Carrie E., Charles, Fred, and Orsamus
John HARVEY was born in Ryegate, Caledonia county, and came to this
town when about twenty-four years of age. He married Margaret HIGHT, who
bore him eleven children, eight of whom are now living, viz.: Mary (Mrs.
Robert MILLER), Jane (Mrs. James F. GEORGE), and Maria (Mrs. John RENFREW),
of Ryegate, Caledonia county; Lizzie (Mrs. C. HARVEY), of Barnet, Caledonia
county; Phebe (Mrs. Walter BLAIR), of Oakland, Cal.; William, and Ella
(Mrs. William PRIDDY), also of California; and Roney M., a lawyer, of this
Andrew Jackson WALLACE, son of Moses and Betsey (MCKEEN) WALLACE,
of this town, and grandson of William WALLACE, of Newbury, Vt., was the
sixth of eleven children, five of whom are living, viz.: Victor A. in Washington
Territory; William in Oregon; Rosetta married and lives in California;
Frank in Fall River, Mass.; and Andrew J., who keeps the hotel in West
'Topsham village. He was twice married, first to Caroline JENNESS, June
19, 1842, who bore him five children, viz.: Victor A., who resides in Carthage,
Mo.; Carrie E. (Mrs. William BAGLEY) in this town; Jonathan J. died September
10, 1879; Everett J. resides in White River Junction, Vt.; and Carlos B.,
who died in 1860. June 30, 1866, Mr. WALLACE married for his second wife
Kate WALLACE, who was born June 9, 1827, and died September 10, 1886. She
was a woman of gentle ways and quiet, unobtrusive qualities, beloved by
.all who knew her. She had two children, John L. and Seth E. Mr. WALLACE
has been a prominent man in town affairs, has held the offices of town
clerk, justice of the peace, and was postmaster for fifteen years. He has
been proprietor of the hotel at West Topsham for eighteen years.
Major Roswell M. BILL, who acquired his military title in the militia,
was a very prominent man in this community. For many years he nearly supported
the preaching of the gospel in West Topsham village. He was always interested
in town affairs, was state senator two years, delegate to the Constitutional
Convention in 1856, served in the legislature three terms, and was deputy
sheriff several years. He was born April 19, 1810, married Miranda NELSON,
of Orange, November 14, 1838, and died August 14, 1885. His 'widow still
lives in this town with her daughter, Mrs. R. M. HARRISON.
Sylvester G. MEAKER, son of Orin and Lucretia (BALL) MEAKER, was
born in Monkton, Vt., March 10, 1837. He was a farmer in Barre, Washington
county, from 1848 till 1882, when he removed to this town and opened a
general store in company with Clarence M. TUBBS, under the firm name of
MEAKER & TUBBS. March 12, 1862, he married Eliza BLANCHARD, of Barre,
who died May 26, 1878, when he married Mrs. Roxana (NEWTON) TUBBS, June
10, 1880. By his first wife he had four children, as follows: Katie (Mrs.
Edwin SAMPSON), of Barre; Flora (Mrs. William DANFORTH), also of Barre;
Layton and Harley B., of this town.
Joseph ROGERS came to this town in March, 1810, and first settled
where James ROGERS now lives, on road 15. He married Margaret KEITH, who
was the first child born in the town, and by whom he had seven children,
viz.: James, Lucinda, Joseph H., Sally, Thomas, and Ruth, who are dead,
and William, a resident of this town. The latter married Sarah Y. COLBY,
December 4, 1834, and has one child, Martha J., who married Edmund W. EASTMAN,
and has one child, Anna J., and lives with her father on road 61. Mr. ROGERS
has been an active participant in town affairs, and has held nearly all
the town offices.
Joseph BEEDE, son of Jonathan, was born in Washington, Vt., and
married Mary J. WELLS, who bore him ten children, of whom Horatio, Sarah
J., Cyrus and Edson are dead, and Charles H. lives in Barre, Washington
county; Mary J. (Mrs. Thomas REGLEY), and Flora, in Newburg, N. Y.; Gilman,
Oscar and William reside in this town. Oscar married Hannah WEBSTER, of
Kingston, N. H., and has three children, Melvin, Clarence and Frederick.
Angelo R. BEEDE, son of Jonathan, was born in Washington, Vt., April
3, 1842. He was twice married, first to Loiva A. BRADBURY, August 30, 1864,
who bore him two children, Minnie E. and Ora L., both of whom are now dead.
His second wife was Laura M. LYTTLE, whom he married December 31, 1885.
Mr. BEEDE was a farmer in Washington till 1867, when he traveled quite
extensively in the western states for about three months. He then, about
1869, bought a farm in Wait's River village. In 1882 he began the manufacture
of bobbins and lumber in company with Spaulding LOCKE, which business he
still continues. He has held the office of lister seven years, justice
of the peace ten years, town grand juror three years, and has also been
Frank P. WELTON, son of Isaac and Luna (PEABODY) WELTON, was born
in. Alexandria, N. H., March 29, 1855, and learned the harness-maker's
trade at Bradford, Vt., when twenty-one years of age. In October, 1881,
he removed to this town and located on a farm on road 42, thence removed
to Wait's River village, where he now lives. He married Persis MESERVE,
of this town, January 26, 1882, and has had two children, Elva L. and Luna
M. the latter now dead.
Timothy MESERVE, son of Lydia (HALE) MESERVE, was born in Corinth,.
January 7, 1811. He married Persis DIVOLL, of this town, April 7, 1853,
and died April 22. 1877, leaving two children, Sarah E. and Persis L. (Mrs.
Frank P. WELTON), both of this town. Mr. MESERVE first began the business
of farming in 1853, on a farm on road 42, where he remained until his death.
His widow is still living, and resides with her daughter, Mrs. Frank P.
WELTON, in Wait's River village.
Spaulding LOCKE, son of John B. and Caroline (TAPLIN) LOCKE, went
into the general merchandise business with William S. STANDLICK, on Pike
hill, in the town of Corinth, in which business he remained for fifteen
years. In 1886 he entered into partnership with Angelo BEEDE, in the lumber
and bobbin business, under the firm name of BEEDE & LOCKE, which business
he still continues. June 17, 1879, Mr. LOCKE married Eliza Ann STANDLICK,
who has borne him two children, Ernest S. and Ellen E.
William STANDLICK, son of James and Elizabeth (BLIGHT) STANDLICK,
was born in Cornwall, Eng., April 28, 1833. November 28, 1855, he married
Elizabeth TRELOAR, also of Cornwall, who died June 8, 1880. Mr. STANDLICK,
with his wife, removed to this country in 1856. The first eight years were
spent in. Canada, when he removed to Vershire and worked in the Ely mines
one year. In 1865 he went to Corinth and opened a general store at what
is known as Pike hill. In 1873 Spaulding LOCKE was admitted as partner,
and the business has been continued by the firm to the present time. Mr.
STANDLICK removed to this town in 1886, but he still continues the business
in Corinth. He always received the confidence of his townsmen, and was
treasurer of the school district where he lived for twelve years. He has
had two children, Eliza A. (Mrs. Spaulding LOCKE), of this town, and Loisa,
who died August 1, 1868.
Hon. Jonathan JENNESS, or "Uncle Jack," as he was familiarly known,
came to this town about 1805, from Deerfield, N. H., bringing with him
a wife and one child. He had a family of eight children, all of whom are
dead except Sally (Mrs. BURTON), who resides in this town. He built the
first saw-mill in the west part of the town, and was a persevering, industrious
man, always ready to help in every good cause. He held nearly all the offices
in the gift of his townsmen, and was representative for seventeen years
in succession. He was also state senator for a time.
Jacob TAPLIN, son of Mansfield and Elizabeth (Roe) TAPLIN, both
of Corinth, was born in that town February 13, 1813. He married Nancy CILLEY,
of Topsham, January 2, 1840, and reared a family of five children, of whom
George E., Charles H. and Amanda E. (Mrs George WHITE) reside in this town,
and Ella A. (Mrs. John H. METCALF) in Corinth. George E. married Jennie
FULTON. Charles H. married Sophia M. McLAM, October 26, 1881, .and has
two children Linwood J. and Bert E. Jacob TAPLIN was lieutenant of an artillery
company in the old town militia days.
William CRAGY, of this town, son of James and Elizabeth (HALL) CRAGY,
was born in Standish, C. E., July 14, 1820. His father, a Scotchman, and
his mother, of English descent, were married before they came to this country.
They had a family of eleven children, eight of whom are living, viz.: Clarissa
(Mrs. Thomas MURRAY), in Barre, C. E.; Thomas, in Wilmot, N. H.; Dorothy,
in Nashua, N. H.; Jane (Mrs. Stephen ROBERTS), in Manchester, N. H.; Louisa
(Mrs. James MANNEL), in Lowell, Mass.; Henry in North Strafford, N. H.;
James in California; and William in this town. William has been twice married,
first to Sally CARTER, in 1853, who bore him four children -- William,
Jr., of Barre, Vt.; Elizabeth (Mrs. George BARRUB), of Washington; Augusta
(Mrs. S. DAY), of Corinth, and Benjamin, of Manchester, N. H. His second
wife was Martha BALDWIN, by whom he has had one child, Clara (Mrs. Benoni
BOYCE), of this town. Mr. CRAGY served in the 15th Vt. Regt., in the late
war, and was in the battle of Gettysburg.
James BURNS, son of John and Rhoda (Hunt) BURNS, was born in Grafton,
Mass., in 1825, and removed to this town in 1846. He married Rachel HILYARD,
who bore him four children, viz.: Abigail (Mrs. Alexander SMITH), of this
town; Helen F. (Mrs. Eben WEED), of Haverhill, N. H.; Clarissa (Mrs. Allen
HOOD), of Roxbury, Mass.; and James C., of this town. The latter has been
twice married, first to Gertie A. HUCKINS, and second to Katie PAGE. He
is proprietor of a saw-mill in East Corinth.
The Reformed Presbyterian church, located in the village of East
Topsham, was organized about 1821 by Drs. McLEOD and WILSON, and William
SLOAN was installed as its first pastor. The male members of this church
do not exercise the political rights of citizens by voting or holding office
under the United States government, believing the character of its constitution
infidel and atheistic in not acknowledging "God as the author of government,
Christ as the King of Kings, and the Bible as the supreme law for nations."
They believe in using the inspired Psalmody given in the Bible in the worship
of God, and all other compositions or hymns are rejected in their public
worship. The first house of worship, a wooden structure, was erected about
1830, and was replaced by the present building, also of wood, in 1861,
at a cost of $2,000. It will comfortably seat 300 persons, and is valued,
including grounds, at $2,500. The society now has thirty members, under
the pastoral charge of Rev. J. C. K. FARRIS. The Sunday-school has a membership
The Free-will Baptist church, located at West Topsham, was organized
about 1816, with Rev. Nathaniel BOWLES as its first pastor. As the early
records of the church have been lost, or destroyed, it will be impossible
to give many interesting facts concerning the organization of the society.
The first house of worship, a wooden structure, was erected in 1828, as
a union house, and is still occupied by the society. It was repaired in
1856, and is now valued, including grounds, etc., at about $2,000. It will
comfortably seat about 225 persons. The present number of members is seventy-two,
under the efficient pastorate of Rev. C. E. DAVIS. The Sunday-school has
a membership of ninety, with an average attendance of sixty.
The Methodist Episcopal church, at East Topsham village, was organized
by Rev. Isaac McCANN, P. E., and Rev. C. A. HULBERT, the latter being the
first pastor. The society was reorganized in 1876, with Rev. C, L. HULBERT
as pastor. The first house of worship, the present building, a wooden structure,
was erected in 1877, at a cost of $1,200, and is now valued, including
grounds, at $1,300. It will comfortably seat 150 persons. The present number
of members is forty, under the pastoral charge of Rev. H. F. REYNOLDS.
The Sunday-school has a membership of fifty.
Of Orange County, Vt. 1762-1888.
And Published by Hamilton Child,
Journal Company, Printers and Binders.
N. Y., 1888.
by Karima Allison ~ 2004