OF ORANGE COUNTY, VT.
OF THE TOWN OF
WILLIAMSTOWN lies in the northwestern part of the county in latitude
44° 6.' and longitude 4° 28', and is bounded north by Barre cornering
by Berlin on the northwest, east by Washington, south by Brookfield, and
west by Northfield. It was granted November 6, 1780, and chartered August
9, 1781, to Samuel CLARK and seventy-four others, and contained 23,040
acres, which territory it still retains. The charter reserved "one lot
for the use of a seminary or college, one for a county grammar school,
one for the settlement of a minister and ministers in said town, one for
the support of the gospel, and one for the support of English schools in
town." Each share was to have a settlement, with a house at least eighteen
feet square, one family in each, and were to plant and cultivate five acres
of land within three years next after the circumstances of the war would
admit of a settlement with safety, on penalty of the forfeiture of each
right or share not so improved or settled.
The surface of the town is quite uneven, being broken into hills
and valleys, making a very pleasing picture, but causing some inconvenience
in cultivating the soil, which is mostly clayey, but in some parts loom,
in others sandy, most of it suitable for grass and the various kinds of
grain, and with proper cultivation amply repays the husbandman for his
toil. Stevens branch of the Winooski river flows north, from the southern
part of the town, through a valley which divides the town into two very
nearly equal parts. Near the middle of the southern boundary is a deep
gorge known as the Gulf, with high and abrupt hills on each side, and through
which flows a small stream, leaving, in some places, scarcely sufficient
room for the highway which runs through here. One of the natural curiosities
of the town is a small brook which divides near the corner of roads 67
and 68, one part running north, its waters to join the St. Lawrence river,
the other part running south to Long Island Sound. Three small ponds are
located near the southern boundary, known as Staple's, Cutter, and Rood
ponds, the latter lying partly in the town of Brookfield. Another pond
was located here previous to 1830. This pond was 941 feet above the level
of the sea, was partially crescent shaped, covered about eight acres, and
was from twenty to twenty-five feet deep. It was called Lime pond, on account
of the vast amount of marl accumulated there, and used for the manufacture
of quick-lime. It was situated, like Long pond in Glover which ran away
under similar circumstances, at the height of land. Below it, on the east-side,
was a saw-mill, fed by a stream that was not quite sufficient to carry
the wheels at all seasons. Mr. Josiah WHITE, the owner, was incited to
open a trench in the barrier of the pond, to increase his mill-privilege.
The trench was opened, and the water rushed out through a passage about
twelve feet wide, and increased the stream more than was desired, for a
short time tearing up trees and carrying along great stones as trophies
of its power. The mill was saved with difficulty. On account of the smallness
of the outlet, the water did not all rush out in a dense column, and thereby
its effects were not so pernicious upon the property in its path. The bed
of the pond that remains is composed entirely of marl of good quality,
and in years past has been burned into quicklime, at a profit.
The rocks entering into the geological structure of the territory
are argillaceous and silicious slate, silicious limestone in all parts
of the town, granite in the east, many varieties of quartz in the west,
and calcareous spar and tufts in the Gulf. Deposits of black oxide of manganese,
sulphate of alumina, rutile, yellow ochre, and gold in small quantities
are also found.
In 1880 Williamstown had a population of 1,038. In 1886 the town
had fourteen school districts with twelve common schools, employing five
male and eighteen female teachers, who received an average weekly salary,
including board, of $6.60 and $4.78 respectively. There were 234 scholars,
forty of whom were attending private schools. The entire income for school
purposes was $2,111.96, while the whole expenditures were $1,714.87, with
Miss. F. M. MARTIN, superintendent.
WILLIAMSTOWN, the only post village in the town, is very prettily
located near the center on Stevens branch. There is one wide and well shaded
street running through the village, upon which nearly all the residences
are located. The houses are neat and tastily built, and the whole appearance
of the village indicates intelligence, thrift and culture. It contains
three churches, which are well supported, a town house, one general store,
a blacksmith shop, three wheelwright shops, a good hotel, and about twenty-five
dwellings. A beautiful monument, in honor of the soldiers from this town
who lost their lives in the defense of their country, has been erected
here at a cost of about $2,000, which sum was appropriated by the town.
The monument is of marble, with granite base, the whole standing twenty-five
feet high, surmounted by an eagle with outspread wings. It has the names
of seventeen brave soldiers upon it, with the inscription, "Williamstown
remembers the patriotic soldiers who lost their lives in the defense of
their country."' There are strong indications of a railroad here in the
immediate future, which, if built, will tend to enlarge the place quite
Williamstown Social Library was established in 1801, with the laudable
purpose of "promoting useful knowledge and piety." The subscribers to its
constitution bind themselves "to have the public good thereof in
view in all our conduct relating to it; never directly or indirectly to
endeavor its overthrow or detriment." Its meetings are held quarterly,
with an annual meeting on the second Tuesday in March, at which time the
officers are chosen.
Once in three months the use of the books is sold to the highest
bidder, the proceeds of which are devoted to the purchase of new books.
The society began with about forty volumes, which number has been increased
to over 2,000, of which 771 are of history and biography, 512 each of fiction
and travels, 121 religious, and 87 poetical works. This worthy institution
has been the means of stimulating many young men to higher educational
attainments than was afforded by the town schools, and has amply, repaid
its founders by the noble work accomplished.
The Gulf Spring House was built by Porter FLINT in 1847, and became
the property of the present proprietor, Thomas SAUNDERS, of Haverhill,
Mass., in 1884. The Gulf, in which this hotel is located, is a steep-sided
ravine, .having a width in many places only sufficient for the road to
pass along beside a small brook, and extends two miles in length, presenting
on either side high, rocky walls, with occasional spots where the outline
is not so sharp pointed, but the hills recede and give greater width to
the valley. In one of these expansions of the valley is found a mineral
spring, near which the hotel is located, and from which it derives its
name. The waters of the spring are said to contain unusual medicinal qualities,
and in the summer are patronized daily by from twenty to two hundred guests.
The hotel is under the efficient management of E. F. DUNHAM, and is open
to the public throughout the year.
Wells, LAMSON & Co.'s stone quarry was opened in 1882, by LAMSON
& PIRIE, and in 1883 S. O. WELLS was admitted as partner. The product
of the quarry is taken to Barre, whore it is manufactured into a fine line
of monuments, copings, etc., and furnishes employment for thirty men. Twenty-five
men are employed in the quarry in this town.
JONES Brothers' quarry, on road 13, was first opened in 1881. It
is owned by the JONES Brothers, of Boston, Mass., and is under the efficient
management of James SIMPSON. They employ twenty men, and make a specialty
of manufacturing monumental work.
Lynde & CHENEY's saw and grist-mill, located on Stevens branch,
on road 23 1/2, is run by both steam and water-power, steam-power having
been added in 1886. It was built in 1860 by L. T. KINNEY, and became the
property of the present proprietors in 1885. They do a profitable business
in the manufacture of lumber, lath, etc., and in custom grinding.
LYNDE's tannery, situated on a branch of Stevens branch, was built
by George C. EARLE, in 1882, and came into the possession of the present
proprietor in 1885. It does but a small business, furnishing employment
for only one man.
FARNHAM's planing-mill, on a branch of Stevens branch, on road 23,
was built by Lyman CAPRON, and first used as a paint shop. It became the
property of Mr. FARNHAM in February, 1886. He does custom planing, joining,
Charles H. WOOLCUT's saw-mill, on a small stream the outlet of Staple's
pond, on road 66, was built by Abijah BACON in 1825, and came into the
possession of the present proprietor in 1882.
Silas STONE's wheelwright shop, on road 67, was built by the present
proprietor in 1867. He does a general repairing business.
The Vermont Live Stock Co. has a farm on road 66; where is kept
some of the finest stock horses in the state. The company was organized
for the purpose of improving the stock in this locality, and has been successfully
conducted. The headquarters are at the Gulf Spring House, on road 66.
FLINT Bros.' steam saw and grist-mill was built in 1886. They employ
six men, and make a specialty of manufacturing the rollers used in STONE
quarries for moving large stones.
J.B. BROCKWAY's saw, shingle and planing-mill, on Stevens branch,
road 23 1/2, was built about 1825, and became the property of Mr. BROCKWAY
about 1868. It is propelled by water-power, and furnishes employment for
G.T. SMITH's carp pond was started in 1885, for the breeding of
German carp, both for hatching and marketing purposes.
The first settlement in the town was made near its western boundary
by Hon. Elijah PAINE, John PAINE, Josiah LYMAN, Joseph CRANE, and John
SMITH, in June, 1784. Penuel DEMING came into town, with his family, the
February following, which was the first family in town. Josiah LYMAN, Joseph
CRANE, and Samuel CLARK followed soon after with their families.
The wives of DEMING, LYMAN and CRANE each received a lot of land
from the proprietors, they being the first three women to settle in the
town. An incident connected with the advent of Josiah LYMAN, which we copy
from the “Vermont Hist. Gazetteer,” is worthy of note:
The first town meeting was held at the dwelling house of Josiah
LYMAN, September 4, 1787, at which meeting the town was organized and the
following officers elected: Elijah PAINE, moderator; Cornelius LYNDE, town
clerk; Joseph CRANE, Benjamin CLARK and James SMITH, selectmen ; Joseph
CRANE, constable, and Elijah PAINE, representative. In 1790, at the annual
meeting of the town, it was "voted to raise six pence on the pound to defray
the expense of cutting roads through the town"; and on July lath, same
year, a meeting was called to choose a committee to lay out .a burying-ground,
in the, west part of the town, on land located for the purpose by Amasa
whose name is now unknown, wishing to try his fortune in the wilderness,
requested permission to accompany Mr. LYMAN to his new home. Having prepared
a large hand sled and depositing a few articles, for culinary purposes,
their wardrobe and a few bedclothes, with the indispensable jug of whiskey,
placed for safety in the clothes, they started for Mrs. LYMAN's father's,
at Randolph, a distance of nine miles from their destination. The terms
of travel agreed upon were that Mr. LYMAN was to draw the sled, and the
Frenchman was to go behind and push. The day was extremely cold, and when
near the Williamstown line it was discovered that the Frenchman had worked
harder at the jug than on the sled, and was in a state of exhaustion. As
it was utterly impossible for Mr. LYMAN to draw both his wife and the Frenchman
on the sled, through the woods, in the deep snow, it was decided to leave
the Frenchman and proceed in all haste with his wife to some place of shelter.
They stopped at Mr. DEMING's, and DEMING and LYMAN returning, found the
man so frozen that he lived but a short time after their arrival at Mr.
DEMING's. This was the first death in the town, and presents a sad opening
chapter to the history."
At a proprietors' meeting held at Bennington, December 7, 1785,
it was "voted that the 100-acre lot No. 7, 13th Range, sequestered for
the use of mills, be granted to Elijah PAINE, on condition that said PAINE
shall build a good saw-mill in two years, and a good and sufficient grist-.mill
in three years from the present date on said lot." In compliance with this
requirement the mills were erected by Mr. PAINE, and in 1792 were sold
to Benjamin CLARK. The first framed house in the town was built by Josiah
LYMAN, in 1792, and was used as a hotel for many years. In the abandoned
log house of Mr. LYMAN the first school was taught, by Miss Eleanor BUCK,
which building soon became unfit for occupancy, by the decaying of the
hemlock bark roof, when the school was removed to the new hotel, where
it was often disturbed by travelers who called for refreshments.
Joseph CRANE was one of the very first settlers in the town. In
July, 1784, he removed here from New Hampshire, and located on road 61,
on the farm now owned by George CRANE, and which has ever since been in
the possession of, descendants of Joseph. Ariel CRANE, son of Joseph, was
justice of the peace for many years, and was presiding officer when the
town of Roxbury, Vt., was organized. He married Mary HERRICK, by whom he
had eight children, of whom Joseph married Mary A. SMITH, and his widow
now resides in Brookfield; three daughters are married, and also reside
in. Brookfield; two, a son and daughter; died in childhood; Charles, who
was professor in a college at Goliad, Texas, when the civil war broke out,
and who served in the commissary department of the C. S. A. during the
war, is now a merchant in Dexter, Iowa. George married Ann SIMONDS, by
whom he had two children, Leslie and Charles C., and resides in this town.
Hon. Cornelius LYNDE, son of John and Ruth LYNDE, of Leicester,
Mass., was the paternal ancestor of the LYNDEs of this town. He was a soldier
in the Revolutionary war, and attained the rank of major. After the close
of the war he settled in Williamstown, Mass., whence he removed to this
town in 1786. He was active in the organization of the town, was the first
town clerk, and was representative from 1791 to 1795. He built the first
saw-mill in the town, and was also the first postmaster here. He married
Rebecca DAVIS, who bore him ten children, of whom John resides in this
town and has been twice married, first to Dolly SMITH, who bore him twelve
children, and died in 1881, and second to Laura E. DAVIS, in 1882. John
has been an active participant in town affairs, has served as selectman,
constable and lister, has been justice of the peace for forty-five years,
and county judge two years. He has also served as state senator and representative.
James K. LYNDE, son of John, was born September 7, 1851, and married Clara
L. PERRIN, November 27, 1872. He is a prominent merchant here, and has
been postmaster at Williamstown for fifteen years. George W. LYNDE, also
a son of John, was born in this town, where he married Frances MARTIN,
March 16, 1871, by whom he has had two children, Fred G., who died in 1874,
and John R.
Jacob JEFFORDS came to this town from Massachusetts about 1785,
and settled in the south part, on the farm now occupied by Daniel RICE.
He reared a family of ten children, of whom Jacob, Jr., married Chestina
BURROUGHS, who bore him twelve children, five of whom, are living, viz.:
George in Brocton, Mass.; Jacob in Bradford; David, Julia A. (Mrs. Darwin
GOODRICH) and Jason H. in this town. The latter married Alcina MARTIN,
by whom he had seven children, two of whom, Moses and Samuel D., are dead,
and five are living, viz.: Tracy, Russell M., Haden M., Frank and Mary.
Jacob JEFFORDS, Jr., was an industrious farmer, and accumulated a goodly
store of this world's goods. He was an earnest member of the Methodist
Episcopal church. Tracy, son of Jason H., is a teacher in Buchtel college,
Akron, Ohio. He earned the money with which to pay his expenses through
college, and graduated from the University of Vermont, which institution
conferred on him the degree of Ph. B. He is now but twenty-nine years of
Stephen ROYCE and wife came to this town from Connecticut previous
to 1790, and located on road 32, on the farm now occupied by Henry MARTIN.
They had a family of eleven children, all of whom are dead save one, Eunice
(Mrs. John RAMSDELL), who resides in Dickinson, N. Y. Stephen, Jr., was
twice married, first to Nancy KELLIGAN, who bore him two children, George
and William, the latter of whom now resides in Massachusetts. His second
wife was Esther HIBBARD, by whom he had eleven children, of whom Ann (Mrs.
Jerry BINNS) lives in Virginia; Mary Ann (Mrs. Orrin HOOD), in Corinth;
and Daniel D. in this town. The latter married Mary FOLLETT, February 14,
1866, and has had two children, Bert and Anna M., the latter of whom died
May 23, 1873.
Daniel WORTHINGTON, a native of Massachusetts, settled in this town
in 1792, on the farm where Newell FARNHAM now resides, where he made a
clearing and erected a cabin. He was married, his family consisting of
two sons and one daughter. He lived on this farm until his death at the
age of ninety-six years six months. His son Amasa kept the old place, and
lived and died there at the age of eighty-five years. His wife, Asenath
STEBBINS, bore him six children, all of whom are dead but Asenath (Mrs.
Robert SEAVER), who resides in this town.
Orange CLARK, son of Abijah and Martha, was born in this town October
5, 1794. He was a clothier by trade, and died December 22, 1878. By his
wife, Sarah RICHARDSON, he had seven children, two of whom, Henry A. and
Plimon O., are dead, and five are living, all in this state, as follows:
Caroline M. (Mrs. Elihu HYDE), in Chelsea; Barna D. in Charleston; Charles
E. in St. Johnsbury; George in Barre, and Dan in this town. The latter
was twice married, first to Emma RIXBY, of Chelsea, who died in 1878, and
second .to Mary A. NORRIS, March 10, 1883, who has borne him one child,
Emma M. By his first wife he also had one child, Plimon C., who died in
1876. Mr. CLARKE served in the 1st Vt. Battery Lt. Art, three years, and
was at Port Hudson and in the Red River expedition.
Laban C. NORRIS was born in Corinth, June 15, 1803. He married Damaris
PARSONS, of this town, March 13, 1828, and had born to him six children,
two of whom are living, Leroy S. in Barre, Vt., and Mary A.. (Mrs. Dan
CLARKE) in this town.
Aaron SEAVER was born in Taunton, Mass., in 1792. He was a son of
Robert and Lydia (MEAD) SEAVER, and, when about four years of age, removed
to this town with his parents, who settled on the farm on road 19, where
H. L. PLATT now lives. Ansel married Clarissa READ, and reared a family
of twelve children, four of whom are living, viz.: Plymouth and James B.
in Washington, Vt.; and Judson and Stilman in this town. The latter married
Zeruah WILLS, of Chelsea, December 23, 1869, and has one child, Ernest
M., born December 31, 1872.
Elisha GALE, Jr., came to this town from Warwick, Mass., with his
parents, in 1796. There were twelve children in the family, and all settled
in this town, Elisha, Jr., on the farm now owned by his son David, on road
9, where he died in 1858. He held nearly all the offices in the town, and
was an active member of the Universalist church for many years. He married
Nabby GALE, of Swanzey, N. H., and had born to him five children, three
of whom died in infancy, and two, Dolly (Mrs. Samuel DAVIS), of Bradford,
and David, of this town, are living. David married Laura BURNHAM, of Northfield,
Vt., and has had born to him seven children, four of whom, Elisha B., Julia
A., George W., and Henry E., are dead, and three are living, viz.: Ellen
M. (Mrs. Ezekiel P. OLDS), in Barre, Vt.; Charles A., an allopath physician,
in Rutland, and Leslie B., a farmer with his father in this town. David
GALE is a member of the Universalist church, and has taken an active part
in town affairs. He held the office of selectman for twelve years, was
lister five years and has been justice of the peace fifteen years.
Enoch HOWES, son of Perly and Sarah (DUNNING) HOWES, was born in
this town May 19, 1792, has always resided here, and has never been absent
from town two months at a time. He married Polly ABBOT, in 1823, and has
had three children, viz.: Anna (Mrs. John ADAMS), who died in 1866; Abigail
(Mrs. Lewis PIERCE), a resident of Chicago, Ill., and Aurora M. (Mrs. James
BURNHAM), of this town. Mr. HOWES has been selectman, town agent, and auditor
and representative five different times. He followed the trade of blacksmithing
for sixty years, and now his faculties are active, and he can read common
print without the aid of glasses.
Aaron MARTIN, a native of Connecticut, came to this town in 1796,
bringing with him his wife and sixteen children. He settled on a farm on
road 40, now occupied by his great-grandson, Herbert P., which farm has
been in the possession of the family for over ninety years. Gurdon, son
of Aaron; married Sarah WISE, who bore him ten children, of whom Daniel
D. married Betsey CARPENTER, and had three children, only one of whom,
Herbert P., is living. The latter married Maria LEWIS, November 15, 1865.
Daniel D. MARTIN was justice of the peace for twenty-five years, and also
held other town offices. He died August 23, 1880, and his wife in 1850.
Charles E. PETERS was born in Boston, Mass., August 24, 1834. He
is a son of William and Mary (JOHNSON) PETERS. When a young man he went
West and was engaged in driving stage from St. Paul to St. Anthony. After
returning from the West he engaged in various occupations until the breaking
out of the war, when he enlisted in Co. B, 1st Vt. Regt., from which he
was discharged, when he re-enlisted in Co. D, 8th Vt. Regt., in which he
served about two years. Soon after re-enlisting he was detailed as assistant
veterinary surgeon, and later was promoted to veterinary surgeon, which
position he held until, owing to disability, he was discharged. Since the
war he has been engaged in the livery and stage business, and has also
been a large dealer in horses. He married Lucinda HODSDON, of Corinth,
August 24, 1855, and has two children, Charles H., a book-keeper in Denver,
Col., and Lillian M., who resides at home with her parents. Charles H.
married Etta ORMSBY, of Bradford, and has one child, Lon M.
Charles W. McCLEARN, A. M., M. D., a native of Northfield, Vt.,
was born September 14, 1858. He is a son of Matthew McCLEARN, a prominent
physician of. Boston, Mass. He graduated from Northfield academy, from
Dartmouth college, where he received the degree of A. M., and from Vermont
university, where the degree of M. D. was conferred upon him. He began
the practice of medicine in this town in 1884, and is a successful and
much esteemed physician. He married Clara AUSTIN, of Northfield, Vt., August
26, 1885, and has one child, Ruth E.
Wilmer E. CARPENTER, son of Quincy M. and Lenora (TOWNSEND) CARPENTER,
was born in this town, April 16, 1859. October 7, 1880, he married May
MARTIN, of this town, by whom he has had two children, Lester A. and Edith
L. He is a carriage painter by trade.
ORCUTT ABBOTT was born in this town in 1810, and has lived here
all his life. He married Martha DAVIS, by whom he had five children, all
of whom are living. Mr. ABBOTT died May 25, 1885, He was justice of the
peace for many years, a member of the Congregational church, and was an
upright and honored citizen.
David WATSON came to this town from Massachusetts at an early date.
He built the first tannery in town, in the western part, near where judge
PAYNE now resides. Later he built the first hotel here, on the site of
the present Hibbard House, and for fifty years was its proprietor. He married
Anna ELLIOT, of Leicester, Mass., previous to his arrival here, and reared
a family of twelve children, only five of whom are living, viz.: Katharine
(Mrs., Alonzo B. WHEELOCK) in Lancaster, N. H.; Laurinda (Mrs. George GRAVES)
in Granville, Ohio; Charles D. in Glencoe, Minn.; Elizabeth (Mrs. Keene
W. DAVIS) in Evans, Col.; and Kittredge L. in. this town. The latter married
Rosette MARTIN, December 26, 1850, and has two sons, Cary H., principal
of the academy in Wyanet, Ill., and Elliot B., a student of medicine with
Dr. McCLEARN, of this town.
Milton MARTIN, son of James and Martha (COBURN) MARTIN, was born
in this town February 19, 1809, and was one of a family of nine children.
He married Mary MARTYN, in 1832, and reared a family of seven children,
only three of whom are living, viz.: Albert R. in this town, Leonora (Mrs.
Austin H. YOUNG) in Minneapolis, Minn., and Fred R. in Barre, Vt. Mr. MARTIN
has been selectman, lister, grand juror, was postmaster five years, represented
the town two terms, and was justice of the peace for fifteen years. He
kept an hotel here for several years. His wife dying in 1868, he married
Mrs. Nancy (WHITNEY) COVIL, who died March 12, 1875, when he was again
married, to Mrs. Nancy MARTIN CHAMBERLIN.
Asa SMITH came to this town at an early date and located where Edwin
C. SMITH now lives, on road 26. Oren, son of Asa, was born on this farm,
and lived here until his death. He married Deborah CLARK, of this town,
and had born to him seven children, three of whom died in infancy, and
one, Henry M., a member of the 4th Vt. Regt., was killed in the late war
before Richmond. Four are living, viz.: Harriet A., on the old homestead,
Eunice M. (Mrs. Warren COVELL), and Edwin C., all in this town. The latter
married Flora WHITE, of Washington, Vt., and has one child, Heman E. Oren
SMITH, when about thirty years of age, united with the Congregational church,
and was always a faithful and active member. He was a man much respected
by his neighbors, and his death, which occurred in February, 1873, was
much regretted by all who knew him. His widow is still living, and resides
with her son Edwin C. Asa B. SMITH, son of Asa, was for a time missionary
among the Indians in Oregon, when he removed to the Sandwich Islands, where
he followed the same vocation for several years, when he returned to this
country and was pastor of several churches here. He died in Sherwood, Tenn.
John C., another son of Asa, was also a missionary, in Ceylon, India, for
thirty years. He died in Winchester, N. H., in 1884.
Timothy CARLETON, a native of Newburyport, Mass., married Polly
KEYZER and reared a family of seven children, of whom three are now living,
viz.: Calvin in Wilton, N. H., and Servina (Mrs. Martin SIMONS) and Francis,
in this town. The latter married Lovisa GLIDDEN, of Barre, Vt., June 6,
1836. Of their children three are dead, one, Ashley, dying in infancy,
Newell, from the effects of exposure during the late war, and Alpheus,
at Lebanon, N. H. Of those living George CARLETON married Maria BURNHAM
and lives in Danvers, Mass.; Nelson lives in this town; Abbie and Fanny
are teachers, the latter residing in Dakota and Edna C. (Mrs. Charles F.
TEMPLETON) is a resident of Fargo, Dak. Lovisa, wife of Francis, died,
when he married Hannah BIXBY, of this town.
John ADAMS, Jr., whose ancestors were among the first settlers in
this town, was born here, and married Ann HOWE, who bore him four children,
viz.: John H., a resident of Aetna, Cal.; George E., of Ludlow, Vt.; Wilbur
F. resides on the old homestead, in this town, and Carlos L., a student
of theology in Boston university. John ADAMS, Jr., was an active member
of the M. E. church, and occupied several offices of trust in the town.
His first wife died September 25, 1856, when he married Mary S. WEBBER,
of Glover, Vt., who is still living on the old homestead. By his second
wife he had four children, two of whom, Mary A. and Emma E., are living,
and two, Alpha W. and Frank E., are dead.
Richard MARTIN, son of John and grandson of Aaron, who settled in
this town at an early date, was born here May 12, 1815. He married Phebe
MOWER, of Barre, Vt., December 28, 1841, who bore him four children, viz.:
Ann P. (Mrs. John S. GREEN), of Northfield, Vt.; Alice S. (Mrs. Charles
LYNDE), now dead; Frank and Frances (Mrs. George W. LYNDE), of this town.
Mr. MARTIN has been engaged in farming all his life with the exception
of fifteen years, when he was engaged in manufacturing lumber. He has been
selectman for several years, and has also served as overseer of the poor
and justice of the peace. His wife died February 2, 1879.
David SMITH was born in this town, on the farm now occupied by Marcus
A., on road 32. He married Lois THOMPSON, of Barre, Vt., who bore him three
children, two of whom, John T. and Clement E., are dead, and one, Alvin
M., is living with his father in this town. David has served the town as
selectman and justice of the peace.
Joseph DRURY came to this town in 1844, and first lived on the farm
now occupied by his son Lyman, where he remained for many years. He took
up his residence in various other towns, but returned here, where he died
January 20, 1886. He married Amanda HOLDEN, who bore him eight children,
four of whom are living, viz.: Mrs. Luther NUTTING, of Westmore, Vt,; Orinda
(Mrs. Charles EVANS), of St. Albans, Vt.; Eli H., of Wolcott, Vt.; and
Lyman, of this town. The latter married Mary STAFFORD, September 5, 1855,
and has four children, viz.: Willas E., Hiram S. and Millie J., of this
town, and Ida M. (Mrs. Albert WHITCOMB), of Washington.
John COLBY was born in Tunbridge, May 22, 1828, and died in this
town November 28, 1882. He married Calista A. TOWN, of Barre, November
19, 1855, and reared a family of four children, viz.: George T., Herbert
J., and Nellie J., of this town, and Warner F., of Barre. Mr. COLBY was
a man whom everyone respected for his many good qualities.
Allen MARTIN, son of Aaron, was born in this town. He married Betsey
NELSON, of Orange, who bore him ten children, eight of whom are living,
viz.: Heman A., Olney and Newton, in Northfield, Vt.; William H. H., in
South Royalton; Alma (Mrs. James PERRY), in Barre; Addison, David and Henry,
in this town. The last mentioned married Lestina PHELPS, of Barre, and
has three children, Sidney I., Henry C., and Allen, all living at home.
Mr. MARTIN's wife died in 1868, when he married Lois BOND, of Topsham,
by whom he has had one child, Allen, 2d.
Peter NICHOLS came to this country from Ireland in 1829, and settled
in Barre, Vt. He married Hannah BOUTWELL, who bore him twelve children,
ten of whom are living, viz; Lucian P. and Charles in Westfield, Mass.;
Mary (Mrs. Charles CARPENTER), John, Frank, and Lizzie (Mrs. Daniel AVERILL),
in Barre; Marcus in Philadelphia, Pa.; Robert and Henry in Perry, Iowa;
and George W. in this town, on road 7. The last mentioned married Hattie
A. DAVENPORT, of Berlin, Vt., by whom he has had no children. He served
his country in the late war in Co. H, 13th Regt., Vt. Vols., participated
in the battle of Gettysburg, and now draws a pension from the government.
He farmed in Berlin for about five years, and came to this town in 1877,
where was he has since resided.
Samuel PERRIN came from Connecticut with his father, Zachariah,
in 1787, and was among the very first settlers in Berlin, Vt. He married
Sarah REED, who bore him fourteen children, seven of whom are living, viz.:
Cornelius and Clark in Barre; Charles, Loisa (Mrs. William ELLIS), and
Mary (Mrs. Nathaniel BACON), in Montpelier; Vienna (Mrs. William MARTIN),
in Marshfield; and Samuel T. in this town. Samuel. T. married Harriet PETTINGILL,
of Barre, March 23, 1842, and by her had three children, one of whom, Emma
(Mrs. Curtin MARTIN), is dead, and two, Zelina (Mrs. Willie LEVINGS), of
Oshkosh, Wis., and Ella (Mrs. William WHEELER), of Desdimonia, Iowa, are
living. Mr. PERRIN has taken an active part in the political affairs of
James M. CHENEY was born in Tunbridge, May 29, 1824, and settled
in this town at Mill Village in 1856, where he opened a blacksmith shop,
which he has since conducted. In 1850 he married Fanny TOWNSEND, who bore
him six children, and died April 6, 1886. Of his children, Harvey L., Harry
and Nettie M. reside in this town; Carrie and Charles died in childhood.
Harvey L. married Laura LYNDE, of this town, April 29, 1874. He worked
at the blacksmith’s trade with his father for a few years, then was clerk
in the store of John LYNDE & Son, and later formed a partnership with
George W. LYNDE in the grist-milling business.
Joel HERSEY, son of Nathaniel, and Asenath (SLAYTON) HERSEY, was
born in Calais, Vt., in 1821, and removed to this town about 1855. In 1851
he married Recta BLANCHARD, who died May 28, 1870. Of his children, Luman.
J. and Flora A. (Mrs. Fremont LITTLE) reside in this town; Joseph C. in.
Leadville, Col.; Henry in Deadwood, Dak.; and Ellen, Laura M., Henry and
Alice M. are dead. Mr. HERSEY married Jane GILBERT, in 1872, by whom he
has one child, Lilla G.
Samuel MARTIN, born in this town, was one of a family of fifteen
children, all of whom settled in town. Russell MARTIN, son of Samuel, was
born here, and here married Lucina CILLEY, who bore him eleven children,
seven of whom are living, viz.: Thurlow W., in Maysville, Col.; Betsey
(Mrs. Ira A: PERKINS), Lucy A. (Mrs. Solon M. CURTIS) and Olive (Mrs. Elliot
DENSMORE), in Alta, Cal.; and Lucina (Mrs. Harry FOGG), Alzina (Mrs. Jason
H. JEFFERS), and Aaron K., in this town. The last mentioned married Mary
A. POOR, of Berlin, February 4, 1875
Charles F. LAWRENCE, son of William and Eliza (PIERCE) LAWRENCE,
was born in Fairlee, April 10, 1836. He has been twice married, first to
Mary J. WOOD, in 1857, who died without issue, in 1859; and second to Eliza
M. DANA, in February, 1861, by whom he has four children, -- Mary J., Nellie
E., Charles H., and William H., all of whom are living at home. Mr. LAWRENCE
enlisted in Co. B, 4th Vt. Regt., and served three years, participating
in the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Wildnerness, Cold
Harbor, Cedar Creek, and the seven days fight before Richmond, and now
draws a pension for lung disease contracted while in the service.
Hon. Cyrus U. LATHROP, son of Urbane and Eliza (WIGGINS) LATHROP,
was born in Chelsea, Vt. Of his father's family, four grew up and are still
living as follows: Amanda F. (Mrs. Jonas BOYNE), in Post Mills; George
F., in Beans Falls, Minn.; Mary J. (Mrs. Chester CRANE), and Cyrus U.,
in this town. The last mentioned served in the 8th Vt. Regt. during the
late war, and has held nearly all the offices in the gift of his townsmen.
He is now side judge, and has probably settled more estates than any other
one in the town. He married Frances HOPKINS and has one child, Frank E.
Abel S. WILLIAMS was born in Plainfield, N. H., married Fanny SIMONS,
and, after living in several other localities, came to this town about
1840. He died at Northfield, Vt., August 7, 1886. His wife bore him two
children, Marcella (Mrs. Lucius SIMONS) and Walter A., and died November
1, 1865. He was a much respected citizen, held the office of selectman
several terms, and was for many years a justice of the peace. Walter A.
was born in Barre, Vt., came to this town with his father, where he has
spent all but a few years of his life. He married Eliza WINTER, of Northfield,
April 4, 1862. Of his children; Nellie J., Mary A., Leslie E., Charles
W. and Agnes S. are living, and one, Cortland, died March 23, 1874.
Jonathan C. FARNHAM, son of John, came to this town from Connecticut
with his father in 1802, and located near where Mrs. John COLBY now lives.
He was one of a family of eight children, and was thrice married, first
to Clarissa WORTHINGTON, who bore him three children -- George, Newell
R., and Amasa, all residents of this town. His second wife was Rebecca
D. JOHNSON, of Hyde Park, Vt., who died February 6, 1874, leaving two children,
Edwin H., of Montpelier, and Elmer C., of this town. A daughter, Cora,
died in infancy. Mr. FARNHAM married for his third wife Harriet N. (MILES)
ELKINS. He was selectman, and also justice of the peace, and was one of
the leading Abolitionists before the war, and often assisted negroes, by
the "underground railroad," on their way to Canada. He was district clerk
for fifteen years, and a successful school teacher, and died in 1871. His
son Newell married Ella M. BRAMAN, of Washington, December 25, 1872, and
has one child, Herbert N. Newell served in the late war in the 12th and
8th Refits., Vt. Vols.
was born in this town in June, 1800, and died in December, 1865. He married
Amanda FARNHAM, of this town, in 1829, and reared four children, John R.,
of Montpelier, and Rodney, Fanny E., and Olney F., of this town. The last
mentioned married Marcia CARPENTER, December 13, 1866, by whom he has had
two children, Minnie I., who died in 1874, and Carl W. Mr. SEAVER enlisted
in Co. D, 1201 Vt. Regt., and served until the ,regiment was discharged.
Aaron PARSONS, who came to this town from Swanzey, N. H., married
Ruby COLTON, who bore him five children, of whom Moses married Asenath
FARNHAM and had one child born to him, Mary S., who married a Mr. PRATT,
and died in 1867, leaving one child, Luella M., who resides with her grandfather,
Lorenzo D. SMITH, son of Norman and grandson of Timothy, one of
the first settlers of Brookfield, was born there December 3, 1815. He married
Sarah E. GLEASON, and resided in Warren, Vt., for about twenty years. He
reared a family of five children, of whom Alonzo and Warren died young,
and Helen M. (Mrs. Jones W. FARRIS), of Dakota, Julia E. (Mrs. Dana WILLIAMS),
of Brookfield, and Laura S. (Mrs. Ralph DITTY), of this town, are living.
Mr. SMITH's wife died in 1858, and in 1869 he married Betsey (ABBOTT) PERRY.
He enlisted in Co. G, 9th Vt. Regt., and served in several of the principal
battles. In the battle of Jacksonville, N. C., he wore a wig which was
nearly ruined by bullets, but he was not once struck by them. In 1849 Mr.
SMITH went to California, via the Cape, and on the passage the ship was
twenty-one days in gaining ten miles. He followed the occupation of a merchant
at Mormon Gulch, and was a miner in Sonora City. He remained in California
only two years.
Joseph A. SANDERS, son of Henry M. and Martha (LAWSON) SANDERS,
was born in Middlesex, Vt. He enlisted in Co. F, 2d Vt. Regt., and was
with the regiment in all their battles from first Bull Run to Gettysburg,
when he was commissioned orderly on the staff of Gen. Lewis A. GRANT, in
which position he remained until the close of the war. He married Diantha
B. WILLIAMS, of this town, and they have two children, Minnie (Mrs. Peter
GALLANT), of this town, and Perly G.
John S. DEWEY was born in Fayston, Vt., July 19, 1826. He married
Mary A. FREEMAN, June 11, 1881, who bore him three children, one of whom,
George W., is dead, Orin J. lives in Barre, and Frank H. is a teacher of
penmanship in this town.
Samuel DOWNING was born in Boscawen, N. H., in 1794, came to this
town in 1825, and lived in a log house on road 15, where his son George
W. now resides. He married Lucinda FIFIELD, who bore him six children,
of whom Samuel F. is a resident of Topsham, Lois and Loren M. are dead;
Sarah D. (Mrs. Charles KEYES) resides in Ayres, Mass., Lucian A. in Plainfield,
Vt., :and George W. in this town. The latter married Martha BARRON, February
8, 1877, and they have one child, Ila M.
George ERSKINE settled in this town in 1865, and died in Roxbury,
Vt., in 1886. He married Pluvina FISK, who bore him eight children, five
of whom are living, George M. in Roxbury, Edson S. in Dakota, Arletta (Mrs.
Lyman MERRELL) in Boston, Mass., and Henry F. and Charles M. in this town.
The last mentioned married Abigial MARTIN, by whom he had five children,
Jane O. (Mrs. George WILLIAMS), Ruhama O., Martin C. and Henry F., who
live in this town, and Maria A., who died in 1875.
Leonard FLINT came to this town from Windham, Conn., in 1802. He
married Anna LUCE, who bore him eight children, four of whom are living,
Caroline E. (Mrs. James THORP), in North Haven, Conn.; Leonard in Washington;
Ephraim in Lebanon, Conn.; and Lucius in this town. The last named married
Sarah A. WHITNEY, of Whitneyville, Conn., and has three children, George
H. and Frederick A. in this town, and Ida M. in Lowell, Mass. George H.
married May WRIGHT, of Nyantic, Conn., and has two children.
Ralph DITTY, son of William and Emily (CHAFFEE) DITTY, of Roxbury,
Vt., married Lara S. SMITH, of this town, May 8, 1866, and has three children,
Clayton R., Winsor and Ernest L., all of whom live at home. Mr. DITTY enlisted
in Co. F, 2d Vt. Regt., and served in the first Bull Run engagement, in
the whole of the Peninsula campaign, and in the battles of Second Bull
Run, South Mountain, Antietam, and Hagarstown, Md. He was in the service
of his country three years, and now draws a pension.
Frank R. McCONNELL, son of Robert and Mary. J. (LAIRD) McCONNELL,
was born in Washington, January 15, 1860. He married May LOCKWOOD, also
of Washington, February 4, 1883, and they have one child, Edith M. They
removed to this town in 1885, and located on road 38.
Aaron FARNHAM, son of John, came to this town from Connecticut,
with his father, at an early day. He was twice married, first to Lydia
SEAVER, who bore him three children, viz.: Nancy (Mrs. John PICKERING),
who died in Jamestown, N. Y., in 1874; Horace died while serving in the
defense of his country in the late war, and Alden died in this town. Mr.
FARNHAM's second wife was Judith WILEY, of Roxbury, Vt., who bore him two
children, both of whom are living, Nelson in Northfield, and John in this
town. The last mentioned married Laura HATCH, December 20. 1866, and they
have two children, Horace and Olive, both at home. Mr. FARNHAM served in
the civil war, in Co. D, 12th. Vt. Regt. He formerly held the office of
superintendent of schools in this town.
Aaron S. MARTIN was born in this town in 1817, and died December
22, 1878. He married Hannah A. DAVIS, March 10, 1841, who bore him two
children, Flora, who died in 1865, and Edson S., who married Marcella CARPENTER,
December 23, 1875. Aaron S. was always interested in the affairs of the
town, and held the offices of representative, selectman, lister, and justice
of the peace. He was also an active member of the M. E. church, of which
he was steward for many years. His widow is still living on the old home-stead
on road 39.
Herbert L. PLATT, son of Horatio and Mary (DANA) PLATT, was born
in Orange, and was one of a family of four children. He married Alma MARTIN,
a native of this town, February 10, 1880, and has one child, Dora A.
Richard W. DEMERITT, son of Richard and Martha (RICKER) DEMERITT,
was born in 1836. He married Sarah J. HILL, daughter of Nathan, of Waterbury,
Vt., March 27, 1860, and has had born to him five children, of whom ,Carrie
E., Elmer W. and Ida are dead; Bert R. resides in Worcester, Mass., and
Delia F. (Mrs. Frank L. ORCUTT) resides in Northfield, Vt.
Daniel P. SMITH, son of Shubael and Lydia (STEVENS) SMITH, was born
in Washington, where he married Roxana SARGENT, who bore him eight children,
of whom Philip, Ellen (Mrs. Lewis EMORY), Ira and James are dead, and four
are living, viz.: Eleazer and Edson in Washington; William in Stowe, Vt.;
and Gilman T. in this town. The last mentioned married Laura EMORY, April
1, 1863, and has three children, Emma, Gertrude and Ann. Emma married Mark
STODDARD, and lives in Brookfield; and Gertrude married Charles FARNSWORTH,
and lives in Barre, Vt.
Joseph GOODRICH, son of Abial and Rachel (FOLLANSBEE) GOODRICH,
was born in Enfield, N. H. Re removed to Brookfield when a young man, thence
to this town in 1876, where he died January 30, 1878. He married Sarah
GLIDDEN, who bore him thirteen children, of whom Richard K., Marcellus,
Harriet, Alpheus and Mahala S. are dead, and eight are living, viz.: Abial
in Portage City, Wis.; Joseph B. in Randolph; George in Chelsea; Melinda
(Mrs. William ROBERTS), Rachel (Mrs. Albert HIXON), and Jane (Mrs. Noah
DOWNS), of Brookfield; Darwin F. and Warren in this town. The last mentioned
married Lucretia BURNHAM, of Chelsea, May 5, 1869, and they have one child,
Laban C. NORRIS was born in Corinth, June 15, 1803. He married Damaris
PARSONS, of this town, March 13, 1828, and reared six children, of whom
three died in infancy, and Fanny S. (Mrs. Joseph NORRIS) at the age of
thirty-five. Two are living, Leroy S. in Barre, Vt., and Mary A. (Mrs.
Dan CLARKE) in this town.
Sanford F. DUTTON, son of Oliver and Arathusa (FARMER) DUTTON, was
born in Hartford, Vt., November 9, 1826, and came to this town in 1851,
first living on road 74, thence removed, in 1860, to the farm corner roads
46 and 47, where he still resides. He is engaged in breeding registered
Devon cattle, which business he has followed for the past seven years.
He has been fortunate in getting first premium whenever his stock has been
exhibited. He married Amelia MARTIN, of this town, March 5, 1851, who bore
him two children, Rosella (Mrs. Herman WEBSTER), who died in 1875, and
Edla (Mrs. James H. WALBRIDGE), a resident of this town. Mr. DUTTON's wife
died May 30, 1879, and June 20, 1880, he married Maggie McCONNEL, by whom
he has three children, Edward S., Una M. and Ina M.
Zenas WALBRIDGE was born in Cabot, Vt., in 1808, settled in this
town in, 1837, where he died June 16, 1867. He was a prominent member of
the M. E. church, and at the time of his death was class leader and. teacher
of a Bible class in the Sabbath-school. He married Esther COBURN, of Randolph,
in March, 1836. Of his children, Orville Z., Edwin, Elizabeth A., Olivia,
and Helen are dead, and James H. resides in this town, on the old homestead.
The latter married Edla DUTTON, November 9, 1875, and has one child, Amy,
born June 22, 1881.
Henry JACKSON, who came here from Troy, N. H., is the paternal ancestor
of those of that name now residing in the town. One of his children, Henry,
Jr., married Abigail BRUCE, and reared a family of eight children, of whom
Sarah (Mrs. George L. MARTIN), Albina (Mrs. Austin JACKSON), Almira (Mrs.
Newell PRESCOTT), Mary and George reside in this town, Crawford H. and
Gilman I. in Barre, Vt., and Eliza is dead. George married Lora MARTIN,
who died January 15, 1875. Of his children, Abbie is dead; Jennie (Mrs.
Oliver MARTIN) resides in Barre; Elbert G. has been twice married, first
to Carrie V. SEAVER, who died without issue, in 1877, and second to Olivia
WALDO, by whom he has had three children, George E., Carrie B. and Luther
Thomas FLINT, son of John, was born in Windham, Conn., January 18,
1779. He married Azubah WILEY, May 29, 1803, and reared seven children,
of whom Sarah, Lydia and Lyman T. are dead; Elizabeth, Jacob A., Maria
A. (widow of Marshall C. WALDO), and Benjamin O. reside in this town. Of
Maria A. (FLINT) WALDO's children. Julia M. is dead; Lizzie W. (Mrs. Albert
M. GOODRICH), Luther M., Thomas C. and Oliva L. (Mrs. E. G. JACKSON), reside
in this town, and one died in infancy. Thomas FLINT was influential in
building the Freewill Baptist church here.
Harvey MARTIN, son of Jonathan, married Lucinda CARPENTER. Of their
seven children, Jonathan, Jonathan, 2d, Mary A., Luthera (Mrs. Fernand
AVERILL), Marilla and Amelia (Mrs. Sanford DUTTON) are dead; and one son,
Ophir S., is living. The last mentioned married Eliza FOLSOM, a relative
of the wife of President Cleveland, and has had born to him five children,
one of whom, Mary A., is dead, and four -- Ada, William, Etta and Frank
-- are living. . He has been selectman, lister and justice of the peace
Joel H. SHEPHARD, son of Roswell and Polly (HAMLIN) SHEPHARD, was
born in Brookfieid, Vt., in 1808, and has resided in this town seventy-eight
years. He married Clarissa MARTIN, in 1830, and has had born to him three
children, of whom William died in 1865; Eunice married C. H. JACKSON, and
died in 1881; and Rosina married Gilbert O. SMITH. Mr. SHEPHARD has been
town auditor, and has held the office of fence viewer for twenty years.
He has been clerk of the Freewill Baptist church fifty years, and, superintendent
of the Sunday-school thirty years.
Gilbert O. SMITH was born November 13, 184.3. He enlisted in Co.
C, 1st Vt. Cav., in 1861, and continued in the service three years. He
participated in the battles of Mount Jackson, Fort Republic, Middletown,
Winchester, Luray Court House, Culpepper Court House, Orange Court House,
Kelley's Ford, Waterloo Bridge, Second Bull Run, Ashby's Gap, Broad Run,
Greenwich, Hanover, Pa., and Gettysburg. At the battle of Gettysburg he
was wounded in the arm and was taken prisoner. He escaped in four or five
days, and returned to his regiment, when he was transferred to the Veteran
Reserve Corps. He married Rosina SHEPHARD, of this town, October 22, 1867,
and has had born to him five children, of whom Bertie L., Nettie L., and
Mary R. died in infancy, and Arthur G. and Lilla F. are living, in this
William PUTNAM, son of Samuel and Susan (GIBSON) PUTNAM, was born
in Croydon, N. H., February 14, 1814, and was the third child in a family
of eight. His father and mother both died in February, 1860. He married
Melinda GOLDTHWAIT, March 31, 1833, and had born to him two children, of
whom Aseneth G. (Mrs. John HALL) died November 19, 1857; and Ellen M. (Mrs.
Orville H. BRIGGS) resides in this town. William PUTNAM is of the, eighth
generation from John and Priscilla PUTNAM, who came from Buckinghamshire,
Eng., and settled in Salem, Mass., in 1634. Gen. Israel PUTNAM, of Revolutionary
fame, and Gen. Rufus PUTNAM, also a Revolutionary soldier, were descendants
of this family. The latter was a native of Sutton, Mass.
Stilman SEAVER, son of Robert, married Hannah MARTIN and had born
to him eight children, five of whom are living, viz.: Hannah (Mrs. P. SEAVER)
in Washington ; Samuel M. in Worcester, Vt.; and Munroe, Lydia (Mrs. Henry
MARTIN) and Wesley M. in this town. The last mentioned was twice married,
first to Elba HALL, who died April 24, 1882, leaving one child, Myra; and
second to Nellie HALL, whom he married September 29, 1883.
Samuel SPRAGUE lived in Rehoboth, Mass., married Ama LAMBERT and
reared a family of four children, Ama, Lavina, Ruth, and Lambert, all of
whom are dead. Lambert married Polly SABIN, who bore whom six children,
of whom Elvira died, aged about nineteen ; Cyrus is a farmer in Woodbury,
Vt.; Mary A. (Mrs. George LYFORD) resides in Cabot; Lavina (Mrs. Peter
R. LYFORD) in Woodbury; Olive (Mrs. Simeon LAMBERTON) in Nashua, N. H.;
and Willard in this town. The last mentioned married Dorcas A. CAPRON,
of this town, September 18, 1866, and has one child, Bertha M., who lives
at home. He is at present road commissioner in this town.
John WHITNEY married Eunice MARTIN, by whom he had four children,
Effie, Fred, Elwin, and Edwin M. He died in Barre, March 7, 1875. His widow
survives him, and is living on road 53, in this town.
Ebenezer BAILEY, Jr., was born in Berlin, Vt., and married Sally
BENJAMIN, who bore him ten children, of whom Abigail, Arrosina, and Frederick
are dead, and seven are living, Ozias and Eliza B. (Mrs. Levi STRONG) in
Berlin, Vt.; Stephen E. in Fargo, Dak.; William B. and Ebenezer, 2d, in
Clay, Iowa; Thomas W. in Montpelier; and Joshua F. in this town. The latter
married Ellen M. POOR, of Berlin, October 25, 1864, and has had born to
him five children, of whom Blanche B. is dead, and Berton E., Frank A.,
Luther J., and Benjamin L. are living. Mr. BAILEY has held the offices
of selectman and auditor, and is now a justice of the peace.
Almon POOR, son of Jesse, was born in Berlin, Vt., and married Susan
BAILEY. Of their seven children, Maria, Jane, Marilla (Mrs. Martin DAY),
and Zoa are dead, and three are living, viz.: Jesse and Ellen (Mrs. Joshua
BAILEY), in this town, and Bailey in Northfield, Vt. Jesse married Abbie
HOLDEN, of Barre, and has one child, Almon J.
Anson WALDO came to this town from Alstead, N. H., and settled on
road 40, on the farm now occupied by Henry ERSKIN. He married Mehitable
BURROWS, and reared children as follows: Caleb, Calvin, Lucinda, Eunice,
Caroline, John and Royal B., of whom Caroline, who resides in Kenosha,
Wis, is the only one now living. Caleb, who was an eclectic physician,
married Sally CLARKE, and reared three children, viz.: Fanny, who died
in 1852, and Lucinda and C. Printis, of this town. The latter married Rosette
BURNHAM, May 1, 1859, and has three children, Fanny F., Ellen R. (Mrs.
Edward J. COLBY), 0f Plainfield, Vt., and Henry B.
W. Horace HEBARD was born in Randolph, October 14, 1857. He married
Alma GOODRICH, January 22, 1881, and has one child, Minnie, born October
Amasa BRIGGS came to this town from Northfield, Vt., in 1808, and
settled on road 54, where he remained for a few years, then removed to
road 71, on the farm where Albert GOODRICH now resides. He married Rhoda
WRIGHT, and reared a family of six children, of whom Alice, Lorenzo D.,
Silas S., and James W. are living. The last mentioned married Elvira HATCH,
who bore him nine children, of whom Alice A., Elizabeth R. and Harlan H.
are dead, and six are living, as follows: James E. and Charles A. in Rochester,
N. Y.; Solon in Jersey City, N. J.; Jason C. in Barre, Vt.; Elwin H. in
Chicago, Ill., and Orville H. in this town. Orville H. married Ellen PUTNAM,
and has one child, William R. James W. was steward of the M. E. church
in this town for fifty years, which position his, son Orville has held
for twenty-six years.
Enoch BURNHAM, a native of Connecticut, was born June 17, 1776,
and died February 18, 1856. He married Eunice HORTON, who bore him eleven
children, and died February 12, 1853. One of their sons, David, married
Betsey OLDS, born May 16, 1803, and had born to him nine children, of whom
Martha and Henry are dead, and Elisha, Lora, Martin, Marcus, Emma, Luthera,
and Rosetta are living.
Ruel COVELL, a native of Connecticut, settled in Berlin, Vt., at
an early day, where he remained until his death. Of his family of ten children
only four are living -- Sarah (Mrs. Calvin GRAVES), in Britt, Iowa; Julia
and Ruel in this town, and James M. in Berlin, Vt. The last named married
Mary DUSTIN and has had born to him three children, of whom George W. and
Eva A. are dead. and Warren. S. is living, in.this town. Warren S.'married
Eunice M. SMITH and has four children, viz.: Warren I., Elwin M., Alice
A., and Ida E. Mr. COVELL has been town auditor five successive years,
and he and wife are both active members of the Freewill Baptist church.
George C. REYNOLDS, son of Samuel, was born in Thetford, August
11, 1835. At birth he weighed only five pounds, but has since tipped the
scales at 330. His grandfather weighed 319 pounds, his father 215, and
his mother 300. His son Charles F., a resident of this town, weighs 325
pounds. George C. married Sarah PERVIER, of Stowe, Vt., April 23, 1855,
and removed to this town in 1886. Of their eight children, Andrew and Clarissa
are dead; Charles F., Samuel, Eugene, Betsey, Martha, and Jane (Mrs. Erwin
ROBINSON), are living, the latter in Barre, Vt.
Newell PRESCOTT was born in Vershire in 1820. He was twice married,
first to Alice DAVIS, who bore him five children, of whom Alice, Laura
A., (Mrs. Ichabod ROWE), and Arabell are dead, and Ellen (Mrs. Cyrus MORRIS),
of Aristook, Me., and Clara (Mrs. Andrew ROGERS), of Waltham, Mass., are
living. His second wife, Almira JACKSON, of this town, bore him two children,
Elwin N. and Lizzie, both of whom are living in this town, on road 52.
Newell was an active member of the Baptist church, and died on the old
homestead in Vershire.
James MARTIN was born in this town, May 26, 1821. He married Percy
E. HATCH, November 2, 1843, and had born to him four children, viz.: Alma.
A. (Mrs. Herbert L. PLATT), Jane (Mrs. Henry F. ERSKIN), Ervin H. and,
Harriet E. (Mrs. William WELLS), all of whom reside in this town. Mr. MARTIN
has held the offices of town auditor and selectman, and was also steward
of the M. E. church for fifteen years. Ervin H., mentioned above, was born
March 24, 1850. He married Lizzie BRIGGS, May, 5, 1872, and has two children,
Jason and Jessie. Mr. MARTIN has held many of the town offices, has been
superintendent of schools, selectman, lister and auditor, and is at present
town representative. He is a member of the M. E. church, of which he has
been steward for six years, and also superintendent of the Sabbath-school
for a like number of years.
Amos HOOD, Jr., who was a resident of Chelsea many years, married
Betsey HIBBARD, and had born to him thirteen children, of whom Henrietta,
Henrietta, 2d, Edgar, Adelia, Florence, Cora, Lester, and Leslie are dead,
and five are living, as follows: Lodner in Grand Rapids, Mich.; Harriet
is married and lives in Fitchburg, Mass.; Mary J. (Mrs. Eugene CHAMBERLAIN)
in Chelsea, Mass.; Lillian (Mrs. Lee BUGBEE) in Pipestone, Minn.; and Christopher
C. in. this town. The last mentioned enlisted in Co. E, 2d Vt. Regt., in
September, 1861, and served in the battles of Lee's Mills, Williamsburg,
Savage Station, Malvern Hill, Fredericksburg, Second Ball Run, South Mountain,
Antietam, and Wilderness. He was wounded at Mary's Heights by a ball passing
through his thigh, and again at the Wilderness he received a wound in the
arm. He is married, but has no children.
Israel BRIGGS, a former resident of this town, was twice married,
and died in Northfield, Vt. By his first wife, Prudence BURROUGHS, he had
born to him sixteen children, of whom Horace, Olive, Prudence, Sarah, Warren,
Orinda and Albern are living. His second wife was Polly WHITNEY. Albern,
son of Israel, is a resident of this town. He married Mabel WHITNEY, who
bore him six children, as follows: George, of Valentine, Neb.; Elbert,
of Barre, Vt.; and Lizzie (Mrs. Ervin MARTIN), Hattie, Charles, and Dennis,
of this town.
Loren G. KIDDER, of this town, son of Daniel, was born in Randolph,
February 5, 1834. He enlisted in Co. G, l0th Vt. Regt., in 1862, was wounded
in the head by a minnie ball, after which he was transferred to the Invalid
Corps, where he remained till the close of the war. He married Nancy Evans,
of Randolph, and has three children, Agnes M., Hattie R. and Harry M.
Jonathan CRAM came to this town from Roxbury, Vt., in 1817. Of his
thirteen children, two only are living, Erastus in Montpelier, and Abigail
(Mrs. John BUEL) in Royal Oak, Mich. One son, Allen, now dead, married
Catharine MARSTON, of this town, and reared a family of nine children,
of whom Charles and Elizabeth (Mrs. Fred STEEL) are dead, and seven are
living, as follows: Martha (Mrs. Samuel W. STEEL) in Northfield, Vt.; Henry
and Ai in Providence, R. I.; Alvira (Mrs. Abijah LOOMIS) in Gilmantown,
Wis.; Flora E. (Mrs. Charles BANNISTER) in Brookfield; and James C. and
Clinton W, in this town. The last mentioned married Maria E. RICE, and
has two children, Winfred C. and Forrest A.
Marcus A. SMITH, son of Alvin and Lydia (MARTYN) SMITH, the latter
of whom is still living, was born in this town July 29, 1839. He married
Mary Benedict, February 15, 1870, and has two children, Oren and Neal B.
His wife died December 17, 1878.
Edmond J. POOR, son of Gardner, was born in Berlin, Vt., in 185x,
and married Annis Dickey, of Orange, in 1872, who died in 1874, leaving
one child, Gardner D. Mr. POOR then married Hattie Work, of this town,
in 1877, by whom he has four children, Fred, Ora, Leon E., and Anna.
Daniel Field, a Methodist clergyman, son of Salathiel, was born
in Springfield, Vt., and came to this town in 1863. He was twice married,
first to Mary FULLER, by whom he had no children, and second to Elizabeth
STEBBINS, who bore him eight children, of whom Mary E. (Mrs. R. S. DAVIS),
Sarah J., Florence L. and Orton D. reside in this town; Addie F. (Mrs.
Fred BRUCE) in Barre, Vt.; Henry L. and Olney J. in Boston, Mass.; and
Edward A. in. East Bethel, Vt.
Charles J. CRAM, son of Allen, was born August 28, 1844. He served
in the 1st Vt. Heavy Artillery during the late war. He married Mary J.
EVANS, of Northfield, March 7, 1865, and has two children, Etta M. and
Darwin F. GOODRICH, son of Joseph and Sarah (GLIDDEN) GOODRICH,
was born in Brookfield, March 29, 1834. He married Julia A. JEFFORD, of
this town, June 27, 1861, and has one child, George H.
Silas STONE, son of John, Jr., and Lucy (COLBURN) STONE, was born
in Dublin, N. H., October 7, 1818, and was one of a family of five children.
He married Olive A. Durkee, of Brookfield, March 19, 1856, and has two
children, Laura A. (Mrs. C. C. HOOD), and Dell, both of whom reside in
this town. Mr. STONE came to this town in 1865 and built a wheelwright
shop on Staple's pond on road 66, where he now lives.
Elbridge F. DUNHAM, son of Daniel and Calista (HOWE) DUNHAM, was
born in Newport, N. H., October 13, 1856. His father settled in Tunbridge
in 1860, and reared ten children, of whom three are dead and seven are
living, viz.: Elbridge F., born in this town; Gorge in Plattsburgh, N.
Y.; Henry C. in Montpelier; Francella (Mrs. James DEAN) and Jennie in Claremont,.
N. H.; Edwin in West Pawlet, Vt., and Royal in Gibbon, Neb. Elbridge F.,
the eldest of these children, married Alida DURKEE, of Tunbridge, in 1860,
and has had born to him four children, of whom Charles died June 10, 1863,
and Grace, Abbie F., and Flora W. are living. Mr. DUNHAM was a blacksmith
in Randolph for twenty-five years, whence he removed to this town in 1885,
leased the Gulf Spring House, and accepted the position of superintendent
of the Vermont Live Stock Co., which position he still retains.
Enoch BURNHAM came to this town from Windsor, Vt., at an early day.
He married Eunice MARTIN, one of fifteen children, and had born to him
ten children, of whom three are living, Eunice in Randolph, Lydia (Mrs.
Able BAGLEY) in this town, and Lois (Mrs. H. A. DUFER) in Portland, Oregon.
His son Andrew, now dead, married Nancy S. HOVEY and reared twelve children,
six of whom, Fanny F., Alvin H., Nancy, Luthera, William P. and Walter,
are dead; and six are living, as follows: Emily (Mrs. Albert RICH) in Barre,
Vt., Harriet (Mrs. Asa H. PEPPER) and Luther in Washington; and Andrew,
Lucretia (Mrs. Warren GOODRICH), and James in this town. The last mentioned
was twice married, first to Abbie THOMPSON, who died June 25, 1875, and
second to Aurora M. (HOWES) BENEDICT. By his first wife he had three children,
Fred L., who died in 1860, Hattie M. (Mrs. Walter E. GRANGER), of this
town, and Elton H., of Middletown, Conn. By his second wife he also has
had three children, Lulu, Sarah, and Mattie, all of whom are living.
William S. BECKETT, son of Thomas W., was born in Maine in 1803.
He learned the harness-maker's trade with his father, after which he removed
to this town, in 1819. On arriving here he was employed at his trade by
Colonel CARTER, with whom he remained four years, when he bought out the
Colonel and run the business himself. The old shop stood near the cemetery
in the village of Williamstown. Mr. BECKETT married Polly POOLE, of this
town, in 1828, and reared ten children, three of whom are dead, Andrew,
Thomas, and Amanda L., and seven are living, Elizabeth (Mrs. James P. MARTIN)
in Wauseeka, Ill.; Frank O. and Julia B. (Mrs. George MARTIN) in Washington,
D. C.; Emily B. (Mrs. William EDGINGTON) in Edgington, Ill.; and James
M., Mary B., and George in this town. The last mentioned married Belle
R FLINT, and has had born to him two children, Charles H. and one who died
in infancy. Charles H. entered Dartmouth college when nineteen years old,
and graduated at the age of twenty-three, when he entered the Law department
of Columbia college in New York city. Before entering Dartmouth college
he had not the educational advantages to enable him to pass a successful
examination; but he applied himself with energy and won the prizes for
general improvement, prize speaking, and English composition. At graduation
he stood third in a class of sixty-seven, and had worked his way through
college, earning $1,000 while there. In Columbia Law school he was one
of eleven who received special commendation, in a class of 125. He was
appointed probate clerk of New York city in 1883, which position he now
holds. He married Stella J. NEWMAN, of Watkins, N. Y., and they have one
child, Marion H. William S. BECKETT was a prominent man in the town, and
held the office of town clerk thirty-five years, and was justice of the
peace thirty-four years. He was representative in 1835 '37, '39 and ‘45,
and was again elected, but refused to accept the office. He died in 1880.
His son George has been town clerk here six years and town treasurer five
years. He is deacon and treasurer of the Congregational church, and also
Ezra BENEDICT and two brothers removed from Connecticut to Canada
many years ago, and in 1804 Ezra removed to this town and settled on "East
hill," later removed to "West hill," where he remained for a time, when
he sold his farm and went to Malone, N. Y., where he died. He married Sally
STOCKWELL and reared five children, of whom three are living, Michael M.,
Lucy (Mrs. David ESTERBROOKS) and Hannah (Mrs. Marvin THOMAS), and two,
Crummel and Squire, are dead. The last mentioned married Adelia M. ROOD,
and reared ten children, of whom Armina A., Sabrina M., Ezra D., Cornelius
N. and Mary are dead, and five are living, as follows : John R., in Galesburg,
Ill.; Adna, in Denver, Col.; Martha (Mrs. Nelson FARNHAM), in Northfield,
Vt.; and Armina (Mrs. Chauncey LOUGEE) and Charles R., in this town. The
latter married Nancy M. SEAVER, and they have had five children, of whom
Bertha. L. is dead, and Flora (Mrs. Herbert J. COLBY), Ella S., Carl J.,
and Susie M. are living. Charles R. was a farmer in early life, but for
the past nine years has been proprietor of the stage line between Williamstown
Robert SEAVER, a native of Taunton, Mass., came to this town previous
to 1800. He married Lydia MEAD, and had born to him ten children, all of
whom are dead. One son, Stilman, married Hannah MARTIN, who bore him eight
children, three of whom are dead, and five are living, as follows: Samuel
M. in Worcester, Vt.; Hannah M. (Mrs. Plymon SEAVER) in Washington; and
Wesley M., Lydia (Mrs. Henry J. MARTIN) and James M. in this town. The
last mentioned is a farmer and dealer in live stock and produce. In December,
1874, his right hand was so severely injured by a threshing machine that
amputation was necessary. He has been prominent in town affairs, and has
held the offices of selectman and lister, and was constable for ten years.
He has been twice married, first to Lydia E. BRUCE, of Randolph, who bore
him two children, Charles R. and Nellie, and died in 1874. Charles R.,
a salesman for J. K. LYNDE, is his only child now living. Mr. SEAVER's
second wife is Sarah D. WORK, whom he married January 1, 1873.
Elias WORK came to this town from Pomfret, Vt., in 1815. He married
Sarah TUFFTS, and had born to him six children, all of whom are living,
as follows: Thomas K. in Middletown, Conn.; John M. in Boyd, Iowa; Mary
J. in this town; Danforth T. in Sheffield, Ill.; Laura (Mrs. Edward DENNIS),
in Evanston, W. T.; and Lyman, who married Mary A. JEFFORDS, and has five
children, viz.: Sarah C. (Mrs. J. M. SEAVER), Hattie L. (Mrs. Edmond POOR),
Alma E. and Lizzie A., all residents of this town, and Julia (Mrs. Kimball
BLANCHARD), of Barre, Vt.
The Centenary Methodist Episcopal church, located in Williamstown
village, was organized in 1816, with about twenty members. Their first
house of worship, a wooden building, was erected in 1827; and the present
structure, also of wood, was dedicated February 5, 1867, cost about $7,000,
and is now valued, including grounds and other property, at $10,000. It
will comfortably seat 250 persons, is liberally supported by 117 members,
under the pastoral charge of Rev. Harvey WEBSTER. It is the strongest church
in town; and when their present edifice was erected the society had $300
above expenses, which they returned to subscribers. The Sabbath-school
consists of fourteen officers and teachers, and one hundred scholars.
The Congregational church, located at the village, was organized
August 13, 1795, by Elijah LYMAN, with sixteen members, and Rev. Jesse
OLDS was the first pastor. Their house of worship was erected of wood in
1807, and the present value of the church property is $3,000. The present
number of members is seventy-five, under the pastoral charge of Rev. R.
D. MILLER, supply. A Sunday-school is successfully conducted, with E. C.
The Universalist church, located at Williamstown village, was organized,
as near as can be ascertained, about 1837, and at this time consisted of
about thirty members, with Lester WARREN as first pastor. Their first house
of worship, the present wooden structure, was erected in 1836, will comfortably
seat 300 persons, and cost about $2,000, its present value. The society
now consists of fifty families, with Rev. J. Frank RHODES, pastor.
The Freewill Baptist church, of East Williamstown, was organized
June 18, 1834, by Revs. S. LEAVITT and O. SHIPMAN, with twenty members,
Rev. Joshua TUCKER being the first pastor. Their house of worship was erected
in 1841, of wood, will comfortably seat 200, cost $550, and is now valued,
including grounds and other church property, at $700. The present number
of members is fifty-seven, under the pastoral charge of Rev. H. K. CRAIN.
The Sunday-school, including teachers and officers, has a membership of
sixty-Seven, with G. O. SMITH, superintendent. Since its organization this
church has had 205 members, four of whom have become ministers, and two
have gone out from the Sunday-school as missionaries to India.
Orange County, Vt. 1762-1888.
And Published by Hamilton Child,
Journal Company, Printers and Binders.
N. Y., 1888.
by Karima Allison ~ 2004