is located in the southern part of the county, in lat. 44º 43', and
long. 4º 32', bounded northeasterly by Irasburgh, southeasterly by
Glover, southwesterly by Craftsbury, and northwesterly by Lowell, being
a tract of land six miles square, set diagonally north and south. The town
was originally granted by the State June 27, 1781, to Col. Henry E. Lutterloh,
Major Thomas Cogswell, and fifty-nine associates, as follows: Gen. Joseph
Badger, Col. Ebenezer Smith, Col. Antipas Gilman, Noah Dow, Charles Clapham,
Richard Sinclair, Gen. John Tyler, John Tyler, Jr., James Lord, Nathaniel
Coit, Hezekiah Lord, John Mott, Nathan Geer, Joshua Stanton, Abiel Fellows,
Andrew Lester, Noah Holcomb, Ruluff Dutcher, Nehemiah Law- rence, Rachel
Fellows, Elisha Sheldon, Jr., Elijah Stanton, David Whitney, Correl Merrill,
Samuel B. Sheldon, Calvin Ackley, Andrew Carney, Elisha Lee, Timothy O'Brien,
Joshua Porter, Jr., Nergalsharezzer Rude, James Jordan, Frank Moore, Arthur
Frink, John Wheeler, Jacob Galusha, Samuel Moore, Jr., Ebenezer Fletcher,
Jacob Vosburgh, Moses Rinesdale, Ebenezer Reed, Gabriel Dutcher, Isaac
White, Andrew Frink, John Park, Samuel Hull, Gideon Smith, Ezra Crane,
Jr., James Holmes, John Fellows, Caleb Nichols, James Parks, John Russell,
Joshua Fitch, Jr., Isaac Peck, John Caton, Thomas Selleck, and Elias Lord.
The charter was issued June 26, 1782, naming the town in honor of
Col. Lutterloh and under the conditions that,
proprietor of the township, his heirs or assigns, shall plant or cultivate
five acres of land, and build a house at least eighteen feet square on
the floor, or have one family settle on each respective right or share
of land, within the term of four years from the time the outlines of said
township shall be known and established, as the law directs, on penalty
of the forfeiture of each respective right or share of land in said township,
not so improved or settled, and the same to revert to the freemen of this
State, to be by their representatives regranted to such persons as shall
appear to settle and cultivate the same.”
The name of Lutterloh was retained until 1815, when, by petition
to the legislature, it was chanced to the one it still bears. Much excitement
is said to have prevailed among the inhabitants at that time, relative
to what the new name should be, “Adams” seeming to have been quite popular,
in honor of John Q. Adams; but Albany prevailed and Albany it was rechristened.
The general surface of the town is hilly and uneven, though not
mountainous, the only elevation approaching the dignity of a mountain being
Harvey's mountain, in the northwestern part of the township, which is cut
off from the main chain of the Green Mountains by Phelps' brook. The soil
is varied and productive, being especially fertile in the valley of Black
river. This stream flows through the central part of the town from south
to north, having a number of quite considerable tributaries. Lord's creek
flows north through the eastern part of the township, having several tributaries.
Aside from these are numerous other minor streams found throughout the
territory, affording ample irrigation to the soil. There are also several
ponds, the principal of which are Great Hosmer, Heartwell, Page, Heart,
and Duck ponds. The timber is that indigenous to the towns of northern
Vermont, mostly beech, birch, maple, pine, spruce, hemlock, cedar, tamarac,
fir, butternut and ash.
The rocks entering into the geological formation of the town are
disposed in parallel ranges extending north and south, the first of which,
on the west, being a bed of talcose schist, next to which is a narrow range
of Upper Helderburg limestone, followed by a vein of clay slate, the residue
of the territory being calciferous mica schist. In the central and eastern
parts of the town there are several rich beds of muck and shell marle.
There are also some fine ledges of granite rocks, suitable for building
purposes. Upon the farm of John A. Vance, in the northeastern part of the
town, are remains of beaver dams and hundreds of mounds marking what was
once the homes of these industrious animals.
In 1880, Albany had a population of 1,138, and in 1882, was
divided into thirteen school districts and contained fourteen common schools,
employing five male and fifteen female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate
salary of $1,356.86. There were 285 pupils attending common school, while
the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31, was $1,471.81,
with C. S. Hamilton, superintendent.
Albany, a post village located near the western part of the town
in the valley of Black river, contains two churches (Congregational and
Methodist), a hotel, three stores, two blacksmith shops, harness shop,
shoe shop, and about thirty-five dwellings.
South Albany, a small post village located in the southern part
of the town, contains one church (Wesleyan Methodist), a hotel, one store,
blacksmith shop, shoe shop, carriage shop, planing-mill, and about a dozen
Albany Center (p. o.), a hamlet located in the central part of the
town, contains the town-house, a store, and about eight dwellings.
East Albany (p. o.), a hamlet located in the eastern part of the
town, on the creek road, contains one church (Roman Catholic), a store,
and a few dwellings.
Charles Hood's sawmill located on road 2, is operated by the waters
of Clough's brook, is supplied with circular saws, employs five men, and
cuts 240,000 feet of lumber per annum.
C.A. Church's saw and grist-mill, located at South Albany, does
custom work, operating one run of stones and an upright saw.
George W. Orme's carriage shop, located, at South Albany, is furnished
with steam-power, giving the proprietor facilities for turning out all
kinds of work in his line with promptness and of a superior quality.
Orlando J. Cass's shingle-mill, located on road 45, is operated
by steampower, and gives employment to five men, and cuts 2,000,000 shingles
It was over six years after the town was chartered before any survey
of the territory was made, the outlines of the town being run and the corners
noted September 23, 1788. Few of the proprietors became actual settlers,
and most of them forfeited their title by failing to comply with the conditions
of the charter in this respect.This liability to forfeitures of rights
served to materially retard the settlement of the town, and disputed titles
and a partial survey even drove away some who would otherwise have become
The first settlement was commenced just prior to 1800, and at that
date the whole population numbered ten or fifteen families. Of these, Hayden
& Jesse Rogers were located in the southwestern part, on the old military
road, David P. Cobb in the northwestern part, on the old county road, Eli
& Aaron Chamberlin about three miles northeast of the Center, Silas
Downer, in the southeastern part, while the Fairfields, Coggswells, Neals,
and Skinners were scattered all along the center road from Irasburgh south.
The town was organized March 27, 1806, the meeting being warned
by Thomas Coggswell, upon petition of William Hayden, Jesse Rogers, Eli
Chamberlin, Joseph Fairfield, Benjamin Neal, Walter Neal, Jacob Fairfield,
and Daniel Skinner. Thomas Coggswell was chosen moderator; Benjamin
Neal, clerk; Silas Downer, Eli Chamberlin, and Thomas Coggswell, selectmen
and listers; Benjamin Neal, constable and collector; and Walter Neal, William
Hayden, and Silas Hubbard, highway surveyors. The first justice of the
peace was Thomas Coggswell, chosen in 1805, who was also the first representative,
The first freemen's meeting was held on the first Tuesday in September,
1807, when Hon. Isaac Tichenor, received one vote for governor, and Hon.
Israel Smith nine. Hon. Paul Brigham received nine votes for lieutenant-governor,
and Benjamin Swan ten for treasurer. The first birth was that of Stanton,
son of Isaac Fairfield. The first female born was Fanny, daughter of David
Cobb. Mr. Fairfield drove the first cow into the town, and
the cow's old bell was used for the first milk-pail. The first record of
deaths is dated July 25, 1808, that of Amy Neal, daughter of Benjamin and
Lucy Neal, aged two years and one month, and Opha Gale, aged two years
and seven months. The first road through the town crossed the southwesterly
corner, nearly the same as the one that now leads from Craftsbury to Lowell.
It was opened in the summer of 1779, by Gen. Hazen, with a part of his
regiment. Isaac and Jacob Fairfield are said to have been the first settlers
in the town, coming in 1798. The first frame barn was built by Isaac Cobb,
when all the inhabitants of the town, seven men and three women, turned
out to assist at the raising.
Nathaniel Babcock, one of the first settlers in the town, came here
from Connecticut. He remained only about two years when he removed to Craftsbury,
where he resided the remainder of his long life.
William Hayden, Sen., from Covington, came to Albany in 1801, and
purchased a lot of land, though he resided in the adjoining town of Craftbury.
About a year after he sold this property to a Mr. Kelsey, and returned
to Covington. In 1804, he bought lot N0. 4, in this town, upon which he
located that year. Mr. Hayden married Silence Dale, of Bridgewater, Mass.,
in 1798. He was at one time possessed of considerable wealth, and was noted
for his success and shrewdness in business, though he lost his property
by endorsing paper for others. He opened and kept the first public
house licensed in the town, was the first military captain, and was also
the only man ever appointed collector of customs here. He also erected
the first cloth manufacturing establishment and the first store in the
town. He died in the State of New York, in 1846, aged sixty-nine years.
Mrs. Hayden died in 1872, aged ninety-four vears. William Hayden, Jr.,
was born in Craftsbury, Vt., in 1800, and is now the oldest resident of
Albany. He commenced his business life as a railroad contractor at an early
day, but through an imperfect knowledge of the business he became financially
embarrassed. He then began at the bottom round of the ladder, determined
to master the business, and worked for three years as a day laborer, when
he again commenced business, and for twenty-two years was eminently successful,
building about 586 miles of road. He also carried on a mercantile business
in Manchester, N.H., and was also engaged in mercantile pursuits in this
town until 1850.
Chester Tenney, from Hanover, N.H., came to Albany at an early day
and located on road 6, purchasing his farm of Reuben Skinner, who had made
some clearings, built a log house and frame barn. Mr. Tenney moved his
family into the house, where he resided until his death, in 1837. He left
a family of three sons. The eldest, Lyman P., purchased the homestead and
added to it from time to time until he increased it from 100 acres to over
400 acres. He married Louisa Page, June 17, 1844, the union being
blessed with six children. Lyman P. died May 20, 1882. Four of his children
are now living, viz. George N. and Fred N., who reside with their mother
on the home farm, Mrs. Cornelius E. Rogers, residing in the southern part
of the town, and Mrs. Solomon Corey, who resides in East Hatley, P.Q.
Of the other two sons of Chester, George N. commenced the study of medicine,
and died in New York city while taking his last course of lectures, and
John F. located as a farmer adjoining the home farm. He has represented
the town in the State legislature one term, as did also his brother, Lyman
P., serving two terms, and three years as assistant judge. These highly
respected brothers were also honored by all the other offices in the gift
of their townsmen. Of John F. Tenney's children, three are living,
two in this town, Frank W., a farmer, residing in West Albany, and Florence
(Mrs. James Gilmour), residing in the eastern part of the town.
Dr. Dyar Bill was born in Hartland, Vt., April 7, 1792. He studied
medicine with his brother, a physician at Topsham, Vt., and commenced the
practice of his profession in that place. After a year's experience, he
located at Cabot for another year, then came to Albany, there being at
that time only twelve or fifteen families in the town. He immediately commenced
practice, being the first resident physician in the township, and such
was the confidence the people had in his ability that no other physician
was called for a period of over forty years, and after that, so long as
his health allowed him to practice, no physician could take his place.
He was twice married and was the father of eleven children, only one of
whom, George A., resides in the town. He represented his townsmen four
terms in the legislature, and died February 22, 1876, aged eighty-four
Aaron and Moses Chamberlin, twin brothers were born at Hopkinton,
Mass., July 3, 1774. September 11, 1796, Moses was united in marriage with
Miss Sally Bullen, and soon after located in Rockingham, Vt. In May, 1804,
he came to Albany and located soon after on Chamberlin Hill, upon the farm
now occupied by his son, Martin C. Chamberlin, where he resided until his
death, November 2, 1843. Mrs. Chamberlin died July 2, 1861, aged eighty-three
years. Four of their thirteen children now reside here.
Eli Chamberlin was born in Rockingham, Vt., married Sally Stanley,
and settled in Rockingham as a farmer, but failing to get a valid title
to his land, he immigrated with his family to this town, in 1805,
and settled near his brother, Aaron, on Chamberlin Hill. He raised a family
of eleven children, eight daughters and three sons, only two of whom are
now living, Eli, Jr., residing on the old homestead at the age of ninety-two
years, and Mrs. Mary Crandall, residing in the State of Ohio. Eli,
Sen., died in 1832, aged sixty- nine years. Eli, Jr., at the age of twenty-six
years married Miss A. Delano, and commenced farming on the River road,
where he resided about fourteen years, then returned to the old homestead.
He has held all the town offices except that of town clerk, - commencing
when quite young, serving as selectman, collector, and constable without
pay for several years, though he was finally allowed fifty cents per day.
As selectman he has located and built most of the roads in the town. In
all the various positions he has held, he guarded the interests of his
town with the same vigilance, care and economy that he would his own. He
is the father of nine children, six of whom are now living, all highly
David Cobb came to Albany about 1800, and made a pitch in the southwesterly
part of the town, though he never located upon it. He located on several
other farms, building in all five log houses, all of which he occupied
for a time. His last location was a little northeast of the center, and
is still known as the Cobb place. He was the father of four sons and two
daughters. Fanny, his oldest child, was the first female born in the town,
November 13, 1802. He died at the home of his son James, in Irasburgh,
June 28, 1851, aged seventy-four, years. Three of his sons are living,
Charles B., in Coventry village, James P., in Pittsburgh, Mass., and Joseph,
in Ashbury Park, N.J.
Anson Hand, from Duxbury, Vt., came to Albany about 1812, and located
where A. G. Cheney now resides, which was his home until his death, in
1863, aged seventy-two years. He was the father of three children, all
of whom married, lived, and died in Albany. The oldest, Clarissa, married
Charles Waterman and was the mother of three children. Cynthia married
Lorenzo Davis and was the mother of three children, two of whom are now
living. The only son, Orra, died without issue.
Jonathan Morris, born in 1795, came to Craftsbury with his father
in 1809. When quite a young man he worked for the farmers in Albany, and
after he was married he lived in adjoining towns until 1835, when he permanently
located in the southern part of this town, where he resided until his death,
in 1874, aged about seventy-nine years. He married Lucinda Cross and reared
a family of ten children, six daughters and four sons. Three of the sons
were soldiers in the Union army, and one died in the service. Two sons
and a daughter now reside in the town, viz.: Myron K., a farmer in the
southern part of the town, Maria S., in West Albany, and Almon E., on road
32. The other two daughters are residents of Massachusetts.
Enoch Rowell, a native of New Hampshire, married Betsey Hodges,
of Lebanon, N.H., and resided a time in Plainfield, and from there removed
to Irasburgh, in 1806, and thence to this town in 1812, and located upon
the farm now occupied by his son, Zuar Rowell, and his daughter, Mrs. Cass,
and her husband. In company with his brother William
he purchased the farm, and upon it was built the first and only distillery
ever operated in the town. They contracted to pay a stipulated number of
gallons of potato whiskey for the land, and when the contract was filled
the still was stopped. After paying for the farm the brothers divided it
between them, William taking the northern half and Enoch the southern,
which contained the buildings where he resided the remainder of his life,
dying in 1839, aged sixty years. His wife survived him until 1865, aged
eighty-six years. William died in 1870, aged eighty-three years. Both of
these brothers took a decided interest in public affairs, and both held
town offices, William was a representative in the legislature twenty-two
years. He was also a strong Methodist and his house was always made the
home of itinerant ministers.
Joel Cheney, from Waterford, Vt., came to Albany in 1818, and located
on road 33, where John Clark now resides. His son, A. G. Cheney still owns
fifty acres of the original farm. Mr. Cheney completed a log-house, which
had already been commenced, in which he and his family resided thirteen
years. The location known as Clark's road was then an unbroken wilderness,
without even a line of marked trees. He experienced all the inconveniences
of the pioneers, being obliged to cover his seed with a hand-rake for the
first two seasons. Mrs. Cheney was a tailoress and used to say that she
could clear land with her needle faster than her husband could with his
axe. They jointly cleared a farm of 175 acres, when Mr.
Cheney died July 99, 1849, aged fifty-eight years, and Mrs. Cheney
died July 6, 1861, aged sixty-five years. Five of their six children are
now living, one, A.G., in Albany.
Eliphalet Rowell, brother of Enoch, William, Daniel and Converse,
was born February 8, 1796, and came to Albany, from Plainfield, N.H., in
1818. He run the distillery for his brothers, Enoch and William, about
a year, then purchased the farm where his son, Levi, now resides, near
South Albany. He married Sally True, of Plainfield, and reared eight children,
five of whom are yet living, and died in 1875, aged seventy-nine years.
Converse Rowell, the youngest of the Rowell brothers, came to Albany,
from Plainfield, N.H., about 1820. He married Orpha Chamberlin, daughter
of Aaron Chamberlin, and in his early life here taught school winters.
He lived for a time with his brother, Daniel, but afterwards purchased
a farm on the Creek road, where Mr. Ruen now resides. His son, Willard,
chose the legal profession, and is now in Arizona. Converse died in the
autumn of 1882, aged eighty-four years. Mrs. Rowell died a few years previous.
Daniel Rowell immigrated to Irasburgh, from Plainfield, N.H., when
twenty-three years of age, and two years later married Miss Mary Johnson,
of that town. In 1820, he came to Albany and located on Chamberlin hill,
where he resided until his death, aged sixty-two years. Uncle Daniel, as
he was familiarly called, was noted for his excellent judgment and unquestioned
integrity. He was extensively employed by the merchants of Craftsbury in
buying cattle and other stock. He reared a family of eight children, five
of whom are now living, Mrs. Plumley, Enoch, Mrs. Miles, and Mrs. Frazer,
in this town, and Mrs. Carter, in Craftsbury.
Josiah Cooledge came to Albany, from Hillsborough, N.H., about 1820,
and located at the Center, where his grandson, George T. Cooledge, now
resides. He was the father of seven daughters and two sons, and, died at
the advanced age of seventy-four years. His son Harvey retained the homestead
until his death, in 1861, when his son, George T., came into possession.
Roger Willis, born in Lebanon, N.H., married Jerusha Cleveland,
of Hanover, N.H., and came to Albany in 1821, locating on the Creek road,
about three and one-half miles south of Irasburgh court-house, where he
resided the remainder of his long life, dying at the great age of ninety-four
years. He was the father of eleven children, three of whom are living,
— the oldest, Lathrop, resides in Lowell, Samuel C. occupies the old homestead,
and Rev. Dyer is pastor of the M. E. church, of Elmore.
Joshua Hyde came to Albany, from Brookfield, Vt., in 1823, and located
on the River road, where Ira Pierce now resides, where he died at the age
of sixty-five years. His large family all settled in the town, but later
on became scattered, so that only one, Mrs. Chester Hyde, aged seventy-three
years, now resides here. Four of his grandchildren are residents of the
Daniel Lawrence came to Albany, from Troy, N.H., in February,
1824, and located at the Center, where his son Daniel and grandson George
F. now reside. He reared a family of eight children, only two of whom,
Daniel and Maria (Mrs. Eli Chamberlin), now reside here. Mr. Lawrence died
in 1866, aged eighty-seven years.
Rufus Billings Hovey came to Albany, from Brookfield, Vt., in 1827,
and located on the River road, where his son, John B., now resides, where
he died, in 1844, aged forty-nine years. He married Miss Polly Kendall,
and reared a family of ten children, eight of whom are living, two, John
B. and Mary A. (Mrs. Madison Cowles), in this town. He was twice chosen
to represent his townsmen in the general assembly, and held the several
town offices a number of terms.
Luke Story, from Plainfield, N.H., came to Albany in 1828, locating
in the southeastern part of the town, where he resided until his death
at the age of sixty-eight years. Mr. Story was greatly respected by his
townsmen, and filled the offices of selectman and justice of the peace
for a number of years.
John Paine, born in Brookfield, Vt., June 20, 1806, came to Albany
in 1828, and located upon the farm now owned by his grandsons, Samuel C.
and Charles P. Kimball. He married Miss Martha D. Colt, of Hadley, Mass.,
and reared seven children, only two of whom, Helen E. (Mrs. Abbey), of
Westfield, Mass., and J. Wesley, of Baltimore, Md., are living. Mr. Paine
took an active interest in town affairs, and was entrusted by his townmen
with many of the offices in their gift. He was a decided Methodist and
one of the pillars of the church. He died on the homestead in May, 1873,
aged sixty-seven years. Mrs. Paine is still living, aged seventy-two years.
John Duckles, born in England, October 24, 1806, came to America
when fifteen years of age, with his brothers, Joseph and Thomas. He resided
in Massachusetts until 1831, then came to Albany and located upon the farm
now owned and occupied by his adopted son, Charles Duckles. He married
Miss Elizabeth Woodman, of Lowell, Mass., and died in 1831, aged seventy-five
John and Henry Chafey came to Albany from Brookfield, Vt., in 1831,
and bought adjoining farms on road 6. John's farm is now owned and occupied
by A. McGuire. John resided on the place until his death, in 1874, at the
age of seventy-seven years. He married Clarissa Leslie, and reared
four children. Hiram's farm where he died in 1873, is now owned by M. P.
Chafey. He married Miss Asenath Kendall, who survived his death
until 1882. Of their family of eleven children, three reside in the
town, M.B. Chafey, Mrs. Lucy Reynolds, and Mrs. P. C. Lamphear.
Timothy C. Miles was born in Danville, Vt, December 15, 1808, and
came to Albany in 1832, locating in the eastern part of the town, where
Duncan Buchanan now resides. He remained on the farm about five years,
then moved to a farm on the river road, where he remained until 1878, when
he left the farm to his son, A. Rufus, and has since lived a life of retirement.
Mr. Miles has held the office of high sheriff two years, deputy sheriff
twenty-two years, and constable and collector thirty-nine years. He has
been twice married and is the father of eight children, four of whom are
living, Daniel R., in Iowa, Franklin M., A. Rufus, and Effie J., in this
Hiram Moore was born November 3, 1798, and came to this town, from
Plainfield, N.H., in 1832, locating on the Creek road, where he died, February
16, 1858, aged fifty-nine years. He married Miss Sarah Rowell and had born
to him one son and a daughter. The son, Byron N., is a merchant and postmaster
at East Albany. The daughter died at the age of twenty-five years. Mr.
Moore served his townsmen in various positions of trust, among which that
of representative, and took an active interest in the cause of religion
and temperance, being a staunch Methodist.
John C. Dow was born at Walden, Vt., January 6, 1818. At the age
of twenty-one years he began farming and stock dealing, in Craftsbury,
and at the age of twenty-four years came to Albany. In 1843 he married
Azuba, the eldest daughter of William Hayden, and began his usual business
here and also acted as Mr. Hayden's agent in the mercantile business, continuing
thus six years when he purchased the stock of his employer and built the
first store in Albany village. He continued this business only about one
year, however, when he sold out and commenced farming, at which he is still
engaged. Mr. Dow was the pioneer of the cattle trade in Albany, which is
carried on more extensively than in any other town in Vermont, there being
over twenty dealers in the town now, who handle over three thousand head
annually. He is also considerable of a lawyer, having taken out a lawyer's
license from the government. No lawyer resided in the town, except about
ten months in 1859-'60, until within the last five years, and all cases
that could not be amicably settled by the litigants themselves, have usually
been adjusted by him. Mr. and Mrs. Dow are the parents of six children,
all living in Albany.
Thomas Williams, a native of Scotland, came to America about 1849,
and soon after located his family on a farm in Albany, where his son Archibald
now resides, and leaving his wife and sons to manage the same, worked at
the molder's trade in Boston, Mass., where he commanded high wages, continuing
thus as long as his health permitted him to labor. He died at Albany, in
1876, aged sixty-four years.
John Waters, a native of Ireland, came to America about forty years
ago. In 1853, he married Miss Ellen McCarty, and in 1854, came to this
town and located upon a farm upon road 33, where he still resides. Mr.
Waters is an educated man, has amassed a large property, is highly respected
and a hearty supporter of the Catholic Church. He has given his son and
two daughters a good academic education, and is now a hale old man of seventy
During the War of the Union, Albany furnished 117 enlisted men,
thirteen of whom died of disease in camp and hospital, four died in rebel
prisons, six were killed in battle, seven were incarcerated in rebel prisons,
five deserted, and fifty-one received town bounties, amounting in all to
$ 12, 200.00. The case of Lucien L. Sanborn, who now resides in, this town,
shows such a remarkable instance of tenacity of life that we deem it worthy
of mention. He enlisted in Co. D., 6th Vt. Vols., October 15, 1861, and
camped during the ensuing winter at Camp Griffin, about fifteen miles from
Washington. April 6, 1862, he engaged in the battle of Lee's Mills, Va.,
and subsequently fought in eighteen battles and skirmishes, escaping from
all without a scratch. But, in the battle of the Wilderness, May 6, 1864,
he was struck in the right side of his head with a minnie ball, the missle
hitting him on a level with his eye, about half way between that organ
and the ear, passing out on the opposite side, below the left eye, while,
almost at the same instant, he received another ball in the right shoulder.
He remained on the field in an insensible condition about twenty-four hours,
when he rallied, and was discovered by a detachment of soldiers who were
engaged in carrying off their wounded. They carried him to their field
hospital, dressed his wounds, and strange as it may appear, he recovered
and was sent to Andersonville prison, July 27th, where he remained until
about November 1st, then was sent to the hospital and was finally exchanged,
about March 20, 1865, and soon after received his discharge from the service,
at Montpelier. He is now totally blind in the left eye, nearly so in the
right, the sense of smell being entirely destroyed, and that of taste but
partially remaining. His pension of $24.00 per month we are sure no one
The Congregational church, located at Albany, was organized August
16, 1818, by Rev. James Hobert, of Berlin, and Rev. James Parker, of Enosburgh,
at the dwelling of Moses Delano, and consisted of Aaron Chamberlin, Moses
Chamberlin, Theodore S. Lee, and Mrs. Hannah Skinner. The first settled
minister was Elias W. Kellogg, in 1826. The first house of worship was
erected at the Center, in 1841, and was destroyed by fire in February,
1846. During the following April the society purchased half of the
Baptist Society's edifice, on the River road, retaining the same until
the present house was erected, in 1868. The society has no regular pastor
The Methodist church, located at Albany, was organized in 1818,
and in 1833, the first church building was erected, at the Center, which
was used until 1843, when the present edifice was built. The society is
now in a flourishing condition, with Rev. H. T. Jones, pastor.
The society at South Albany is under the charge of Rev. G. W. Ellis.
The Freewill Baptist church, located at East Albany, was organized
by Rev. T. P. Moulton and Rev. H. W. Harris, November 14, 1842, with ten
members. Rev. J. E. Flanders was the first pastor. The church building
was erected in the summer of 1857, and is to be superceeded by a new structure
during the present year, 1883. The society now has sixty-five resident,
and forty non-resident members, with Rev. R. W. Collins, pastor.
St. John of the Cross Roman Catholic church, located at East Albany,
was organized by Rev. Father Michael McCauley, in, 1874, Rev. Father John
Michaud being the first pastor. The church building, a comfortable wood
structure capable of seating 180 persons, was erected during the same year,
at a cost of $ 3,300, and is now valued, including grounds, at $
3,800. The society has 225 members, with Rev. Father Norbert Proulx, of
of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 190-192)
was provided by Tom Dunn.
–1884 Albany Business Directory