lies in the southern part of the county, in lat. 44º 39', and long.
4º 32', bounded northeasterly by Albany, southeasterly by Greensboro,
southwesterly by Wolcott, and northwesterly by Eden. lt contains an area
of about six miles square, or 23,040 acres, granted by the State to Ebenezer
Crafts, Timothy Newell, and sixty-two associates, November 6,1780, and
chartered by the name of Minden, August 23, 1781. The name of Minden was
retained until October 27, 1790, when it was altered to Craftsbury, in
honor of Ebenezer Crafts the first settler in the county and one of the
The surface of the town is much broken into hills and valleys, though
not to such an extent as to retard the cultivation of the soil, which varies
from alluvial meadows to clay and gravel, there being almost as many grades
and varieties of soil as there are farms in the township. Taken all in
all, however, it is considered a good farming and dairying town, susceptible
of producing good crops of all the grains and grasses indigenous to northern
Vermont. The territory is well watered by numerous streams and ponds, there
being five of the latter, as follows: Elligo, lying partly in Greensboro
and partly in this town., It is about two miles long and half a mile wide,
and has two outlets, one to the north and the other to the south. The northern
outlet constitutes one of the head branches of Black river; the southern,
after passing through Little Elligo pond, communicates with the Lamoille
in Hardwick. The scenery about Elligo pond is romantic and beautiful. The
eastern shore presents abrupt, and in some places, perpendicular rocks
of considerable height, while the western rises gradually, and is covered
with a luxurious growth of forest trees which contrast finely with the
naked cliffs of the opposite shore. Near the center of the pond are two
small islands. It was formerly a favorite hunting-ground of the St. Francis
Indians, to whom is due its name, Elligo Scoloon, which is sometimes improperly
written Elligo Scotland. The others are Great Hosmer, lying partly in Albany,
Little Hosmer, and two other small ponds. Black river, having its source
as above mentioned, forms, with its numerous tributaries, the principal
water-course. It was called by the Indians Elligo-sigo. Its current is
in general slow, the whole descent from its source to Lake Memphremagog,
including the falls at Irasburgh and Coventry, being by actual survey only
190 feet, hence it affords but few good mill sites in its whole course.
Wild branch, a tributary of the Lamoille, rises in Eden and flows through
the western part of this township. The valley of Black river, in this town,
is a muck bed averaging a quarter of a mile in width, upon which
is grown a great quantity of meadow-hay. Though Black river lacks mill
privileges, the deficiency is made up in the other streams, where several
good water-powers are found, a few of which are utilized by saw, grist,
and other mills. Considerable timber is yet standing in the town, mostly
spruce, maple, and beech, interspersed with elm and birch. The climate
is delightful, the air being invigorating and healthful.
Geologically, the town varies in its structure to an unusual degree.
In the eastern borders granite appears, then gneiss, then mica slate; and
these, in the central portions, are displaced by argellaceous slate of
a very dark or plumbago color, alternating with silicious limestone. The
rocks on the west side of Black river are hardly more uniform; strata of
mica slate, argellaceous, and chlorite slates, and limestones, give place
to each other in rapid succession. Near Craftsbury village is an extensive
body of gray granite, very much broken on the surface. This rock is filled
with nodules of black mica and quartz, inconcentric lamina. These are about
the size of butternuts, and, in many of the specimens, are so numerous
that a hundred may be counted within a circle two feet in diameter. In
some parts of the ledge these nodules are very much flattened, as if subjected
to an immense vertical pressure when the mass was in a semi-fluid state.
A rock similar to this, it is believed, has not been found in any other
place in this country or in Europe.
In 1880, Craftsbury had a population of 1381, and in 1882, was divided
into fourteen school districts and contained fourteen common schools, employing
one male and twenty-two female teachers, to whom was paid an aggragate
salary of $1,306.82. There were 299 pupils attending common school, while
the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31, was $2,445.69,
with J. C.Taylor, superintendent.
Craftsbury, a post village located in the southern part of the town,
is the most important settlement, although it is very young when compared
with “The Common,” as North Craftsbury is familiarly called. When
quite a thriving settlement was flourishing at that point, the site of
Craftsbury village was a dense, tangled forest. The first settlement was
made in 1818. It now contains one church (Methodist Episcopal), an
hotel, four stores, a tinshop, blacksmith shop, grist-mill, saw-mill, sash
and blind factory, a woolen factory, and about thirty dwellings. The Eagle
Hotel, located on Main street, was built by Amasa Scott. After his removal
the property was owned by different parties until 1864, when it came into
the hands of I. T. Patterson, the present proprietor. As soon as he came
into possession of the property he enlarged the building, adding another
story, and refurnished it throughout in a neat and comfortable style.
North Craftsbury is a post village located near the central part
of the town, on an elevated plain affording an extensive prospect. It is
principally situated around an open square, forty rods north and south,
by twenty-four rods east and west, where all the general trainings
were wont to be held having been donated to the town for that
purpose, and from which the familiar term of “The Common" is derived.
The village has a history as old as the town itself, having been settled
by the earliest pioneers, and was for many years the center of business
and trade, not only for Craftsbury, but for Eden, Lowell, Albany, and portions
of all the neighboring towns.
Much historical lore that is of interest to Craftsbury people clusters
about the old place, though the arrogance of its prosperous youth has passed
to its younger neighbors. Aside from its old-time business supremacy
and its never-to-be-forgotten “training days,” all the public and religious
meetings were held here; and it also enjoyed the dignity, in company with
Browninton, of being the seat of the county government, for, until 1815,
when Irasburgh became the shire town, the Orleans county courts were held
alternately at Craftsbury and Brownington. The village now contains one
church (Congregational), Craftsbury academy, one hotel, one store, a carriage
shop, paint shop, blacksmith shop, and about twenty dwellings. The academy
is situated at the right of and facing the common, a pleasant and desirable
location for an institution of the kind. It was incorporated in October,
1829, with the advantage of the avails of half the grammar school lands
in the county, amounting to about 2,600 acres. This land the institution
leased for a number of years, but owing to mismanagement on the part of
those in charge, it has lost control of a large portion of this public
property. The first building was erected in 1832, a two-story brick structure,
which, owing to poor workmanship in its construction, became, after a few
years, unfit for school purposes, and, in 1868, was superseded by a wood
structure. This building, together with most of the school furniture, was
destroyed by fire in 1879. With the insurance money and the subscriptions
of the townspeople the present building was soon after erected, a convenient,
well arranged structure, designed to accommodate about eighty pupils. Since
1880, the school has been under the able charge of Mr. Leland E. Tupper,
a graduate of the University of Vermont, assisted by an efficient corps
of teachers. Instruction is given in the classical and English courses,
preparatory to college entrance.
East Craftsbury is a small post village located in the eastern part
of the town, near the Greensboro line. It contains one church (Union),
one store, a blacksmith shop, hulling-mill, and about a dozen dwellings.
Mill Village, is a hamlet located in the northern part of the town,
on Hosmer pond. Its name was derived from the mills erected at this point
early in the town's history, by Col. Crafts. It now contains a saw and
grist-mill, a store, blacksmith shop, and half a dozen dwellings. A sub-postoffice
is located here for distributing the mails sent from North Craftsbury.
Branch is a postoffice located in the western part of the town for
the accommodation of the families in that section. This office was established
March 25, 1883, with George Merrill, postmaster, the office being located
at his house.
Garvin Aliston’s hulling-mill, located at Mill Village, was built
by John Patterson in 1842. Mr. Patterson run the mill for a few years,
when he was unfortunately caught in the machinery and killed. Thomas Moody
then purchased and improved the property and put in new machinery, operating
the mill until 1866, when it came into the hands of the present proprietor,
who does a large and successful business.
John McRoy's blacksmith shop located on road 32, was built by Jerome
Burdick in 1842, and came under the control of the present proprietor in
William P. Kaisers blacksmith shop, located on Main street, was
established by Charles G. Doty in 1852, and was purchased by the present
proprietor in 1872.
Jacob O. Douglass's blacksmith shop located at North Craftsbury,
was built by the present proprietor in 1878.
I. & A. Kent's woolen mills, located on
Black river, were built by James E. Burnham, in 1849, land are now operated
by James Anderson, who employs ten workmen, producing from fifty to seventy-five
yards of woolen cloth per day.
A. A. Randall's, grist and saw-mill, located on the outlet of Hosmer
pond, near the site of the old mill built by Col. Crafts, was built by
the Craftsbury Mill Co. in 1867, and was purchased by Mr. Randall in December,
1878. He does mostly custom work.
N. H. Kinney's sash and blind factory, located on road 38, was purchased
by him in 1869. He now employs from four to seven men. In 1877, the entire
works were destroyed by fire, involving a loss of over $4,000.00., During
the following summer he built the present factory, a building 42 by 60
feet, three stories in height, and furnished it with new and improved machinery.
Mr. Kinney has also on his farm a trout pond, or spawning bed, where he
breeds brook trout for the New York and Boston markets.
A. C. Collins's saw-mill, located on road 11, was built by him in
1859. Mr. Collins employs from six to ten men and manufactures about 500,000
feet of lumber per annum.
settlement in the town was made in the summer of 1788, by Col. Ebenezer
Crafts, who opened a road from Cabot, eighteen miles, cleared during the
summer ten or twelve acres of land where Mill Village now is, built a house
and saw-mill, and made considerable preparation for a grist-mill.
In the spring of 1789, Nathan Cutler and Robert Trumbull moved their
families into the township. In the ensuing autumn Mr. Trumbull, by reason
of the sickness of his family, went to Barnet to spend the winter, but
Mr. Cutler's family remained through the season. Thus was begun the first
settlement within the bounds of Orleans county.
In February, 179l, Col. Crafts, having previously erected a grist-mill
and made considerable additions to his improvements, returned to the town
with John Corey, Benjamin Jennings, Daniel Mason, John Babcock, and Mills
Merrifield with their families, from Sturbridge, Mass. After arriving at
Cabot, they found it impossible to proceed any further with their teams,
on account of the great depth, of snow, it being about four feet deep.
They were obliged to provide themselves with snow-shoes and draw the female
members of the families on hand-sleds a distance of eighteen miles. These
settlers were soon after followed by several other families from Sturbridge
and other towns in Worcester county.
The town was organized in March, 1792, the meeting being held at
the residence of Col. Crafts, who acted as moderator. Samuel C. Crafts
was elected clerk, and held the office until 1829; Ebenezer Crafts, Nathan
Cutler and Nehemiah Lyon, selectmen; and Joseph Scott, constable. The first
justice of the peace was Samuel R. Crafts, in 1792. The first representative
was Ebenezer Crafts, elected the same year. The first freemen's meeting
was held in September, of that year. The first child born was Betsey Cutler,
August 22, 1791. The first physician was Dr. James Paddock.
Col. Ebenezer Crafts was born in Pomfret, September 3, 1740, and
graduated from Yale college in 1759. At the commencement of the Revolutionary
war he organized a company and joined the army at Cambridge in 1775. He
was a man of great energy and firmness of character, and resided here until
his death, May 24, 1810, aged seventy years.
Hon. Samuel C. Crafts, son of Ebenezer Crafts, was born in Woodstock,
Conn., October 6, 1768, graduated from Harvard college, in July, 1759,
and came to this town with his father. In 1792, he was elected clerk
of the town, which office he held by yearly elections until 1829, when
he declined it, after having served the town faithfully for thirty-seven
years. In 1793, he was elected a member of the convention to revise
the constitution of the State and in 1796, was elected a member of the
legislature. The two following years he was chosen clerk of the same, and
was subsequently elected to the legislature in 1800, 1801, 1803, and 1805.
From 1800 to 1810, he held the office of assistant judge of the county
court, and after that time, till 1816 was chief judge. From 1807 to 1813,
he was a member of the council of the State, and in 1816, was elected a
member of the house of representatives in congress, being continued a member
eight years. He was again elected to the State council, and also chief
judge of the county court three years, and was then elected governor of
the State, holding that office for 1829-‘30 and 1831. In 1829,
he was a member of the constitutional convention and was elected president
of that body. Soon after retiring from the office of governor, he was appointed
on a committee to decide on a place for the State House, the materials
of which it should be built, etc. In 1842, he was appointed by the
executive committee of the State to a seat in the senate of the United
States in place of Judge Prentiss, who had resigned. At the next meeting
of the legislature he was elected by that body for the remainder of the
term for which Judge Prentiss had been elected. He died November 19, 1853,
aged eighty-five years.
Dr. James Paddock, from Massachusetts, came to Craftsbury in 1793,
and after a course of medical lectures located at North Craftsbury, where
he practiced until his death, in 1809, aged forty-four years. He
married Augusta Crafts, daughter of Col. Crafts, by whom he had two sons,
James A. and William E. William became a merchant and lived
in the town until his death, in the summer of 1855. James A., born in 1798,
graduated from the University of Vermont in 1823, studied law, and was
admitted to the bar in 1825, remaining in practice in this town until his
death, in 1867, aged sixty- nine years. He held most of the town offices,
and was an assistant judge of the county court. In the earlier years of
his life his health was not good, which prevented his taking the active
part in public affairs that he otherwise would have done. He reared a family
of four children, all of whom resided for a time in the town. The youngest,
Augustus, born June 25, 1838, enlisted in Co. D., Vt. cavalry, in 1862,
and served until the close of the war. He is now a merchant of Craftsbury
village, where he has been in trade since the autumn of 1865.
Nehemiah Lyon, one of the earliest settlers of the town, came here
from Sturbridge, Mass., and located upon the farm now owned by his great
grand-son, on road 20, where he cleared five acres of land, to which he
brought his family, consisting of nine children, the following year. He
was a blacksmith and followed the trade here until his death, October 21,
1836, aged eighty-three years. Nehemiah M. Lyon, his seventh child, born
in 1789, was also a blacksmith, and died here in 1852. William H., third
son of Nehemiah M., born in 1821, also was a blacksmith, and died here
in 1874, having reared five children, all of whom now reside in the town.
Royal M., his only son, is a justice of the peace and one of the present
selectmen. He has three children, the fifth generation born here.
Benjamin Jennings, from Brookfield, Mass., came here in 1791, and
made a settlement on road 4; but owing to the hard times and poor markets
he returned to Massachusetts soon after. Anna, his second child, was nine
months old when her parents came here, and remained with the family of
Hiram Mason when they returned to Massachusetts. In 1827, she married William
Perham and had three children, Needham M., Lucy M., and Hiram. Lucy M.,
widow of W. A. Kilburn, resides on road 49.
Benjamin Hoyt, from Massachusetts, came to Craftsbury in 1794, with
his wife and two children. The family was subsequently increased to thirteen
children, many of whose descendents are living. Wyman, the second child,
born in 1789, had also a family of thirteen children, eight of whom are
living. Job, the fourth child, was a leading member of the Methodist church,
having held the office of steward over sixty years. All of his seven children
are living. The youngest, Charles C., served in Co. I, First Vt. Cav., and
was a prisoner of war eight months. He occupies the old homestead.
Samuel Stratton came to Craftsbury, from Brookfield, Mass, about
the year 1794, and located on road 58, where his son William now resides,
where he died in 1857, aged eighty-six years. Three of his ten children, Samuel,
Jr., William and Horace, located on portions of, or near, the old
farm. Horace now lives with his eldest son, Edwin S.
Samuel Ephraim Morse came from Massachusetts at an early day and
located where East Craftsbury now is, and resided there until his death,
in 1834, aged sixty-six years. He brought the first wagon into the town,
a vehicle that would not be worth $25.00, but which at that time was not
only quite valuable, but was also very much of a curiosity. Mr. Morse was
successively engaged in farming, distilling, and hotel-keeping. Two of
his three children settled in the town. The youngest, Samuel, born in 1794,
resided on the old homestead until his death, in 1848. He had a family
of nine children, three of whom became residents of the town. The youngest,
Samuel E., born August 27, 1837, now occupies the farm.
Samuel French, from Massachusetts, came to the town previous to
1800, and located on East hill, upon the farm now owned by Dea. Datin,
where he died September 28, 1854, aged eighty-eight years. Only one of
his eight children, Alvah R., born in 1798, located in the town. His death
occurred in 1876, at the age of seventy-eight years.
Marion R. Marcy came to Craftsbury from Boston, Mass., at an early
day, and located at North Craftsbury. One of his three children, Ephraim
B., born in 1842, still resides here. He served in Co. D, 5th Vt. Vols.,
three years during the late war, was wounded at Savage Station and taken
prisoner remaining in the Richmond prison, however, only twenty-one days.
Jesse E. Merrill, from Corinth, located in this town at an early
date, residing here most of the time until his death, following the mason's
trade. He served the town in several official capacities, among which as
a representative in the legislature. He had five children, three of whom
settled here. His second son, George, born in 1833, now resides on road
Daniel Davison, a Revolutionary soldier, came to Craftsbury, from Massachusetts, in 1795, locating in the southern part of the town where
he kept an hotel, and subsequently kept an hotel at The Common. He died
in November, 1854, at the great age of ninety years. His father also died
here, aged ninety years. Two of his four children located in the town.
Emory, the eldest, born in 1789, reared seven children and died here in
1868, aged seventy-nine years. His second son, Emory, Jr., born in 1830,
still resides here. He represented the town in 1861.
Daniel Seaver, a Revolutionary soldier, from Petersham, Mass., came
here in 1796, and located in the western part of the town, on road 23,
where he died in 1831, aged seventy-eight years. James, the fifth of his
twelve children, born in 1791, reared seven children, and died here in
1859, aged sixty- eight years. His oldest child, William, born in 1823,
is still a resident of the town.
James Coburn came here, from Sturbridge, Mass., in 1800, and
located on road 40, upon the farm now owned by his grandson, Silas W. Coburn,
where he died, in December, 1861, aged eighty-two years. He served in the
war of 1812, and held the office of constable and collector for a number
of years. James, Jr., the fourth of his nine children, born in 1811, died
here in 1877, aged sixty-two years. Silas W., his second son, who now occupies
the old farm, was born in 1846.
Samuel Works, a native of Massachusetts, came to Craftsbury previous
to 1800, and located in the eastern part of the town. His son Samuel, born
in 1783, made Craftsbury his home during the remainder of his life. His
three children, George, Lucia W., wife of P. V. Scott, and Harriet,
wife of S. B. Robbins, are living.
Caleb Harriman, from New Hampshire, came to this town in 1802, and
died here in 1848, aged seventy-two years. Hamilton Z., son of Ziba, and
grandson of Caleb, was born in 1854, and now resides on road 35.
Benjamin Squires came to Craftsbury, from Massachusetts, in 1807,
and located at The Common. He had a family of seven children, only one
of whom, Abigail N. (Mrs. Lawrence), born in 1810, is living. She resides
with her daughter, Mrs. S. Searls, on road 55. Mrs. Lawrence has been totally
blind for the past nine years, yet is able to spin, knit, and do house-work
with great facility.
Ephraim Wylie, from Hancock, Vt., located in the eastern part of
Eden in 1808, and, in 1829, came to Craftsbury, and located on road 55,
where his eldest son, Wyman, now resides. Charles R., son of John, and
grandson of Ephraim, resides on road 4.
Elijah Scott, from Fitzwilliam, N.H., came to Craftsbury in 1809,
reared a family of ten children, and died in 1840, aged sixty years. Amasa,
the third son of Elijah, was born in 1809, and has been a resident of the
town since his father moved here. He has one of the finest residences in
the town, and has been engaged in mercantile pursuits since 1830. He has
one daughter, Mary A., born in 1858, who resides at home. She graduated
from Fitchburgh college in 1878.
William J. Hastings, from St. Johnsbury, Vt., came here in 1817,
and learned the tanner's trade, but after a few years he purchased three
hundred acres of land on road 40. He held the office of town representative
in 1836, ‘37, '38, '48, and '49. He was also county commissioner and associate
judge two years. Two of his family of four are living, Eliza H., wife of
William Chamberlin, of Dexter, Iowa, and Edward L., residing on road 12.
William Robbins, from Dunstable, Mass., came to Craftsbury in 1822,
and located on road 50, with a family of twelve children. His fourth and
fifth sons, twins, James Madison and Thomas Jefferson, born in 1812, have
always resided here.
Gersham W. Harriman came to Craftsbury with his father, Enoch, at
the age of two years, and resided here until his death, in 1850, aged thirty-eight
years. David G., his only child now living, born in 1845, resides on road
William Randall came to Craftsbury, from Greensboro, in 1825, and
operated a saw-mill here for a number of years, then returned to Greensboro,
where he passed the remainder of his life. Amasa A., the third of his eight
children born in 1820, has been a resident of this town since his fifth
Hiram Merrill, from Lisborn, N.H., came here in 1827. He has two
children, one having died in infancy. Sarah J., his only daughter, born
in 1834, resided here until her marriage with John L. Dodge, in 1863, when
she removed to Irasburgh. His second son, William H. H., born in 1840,
resides on road 4.
George F. Sprague, born in Claremont, N.H., in 1807, came to Craftsbury,
from Peacham, in 1829, locating on road 47. Three of his five children
William F., George H., and Martha A. (Mrs.0.M.Tillotson), are living.
Mr. Scott has held, among other offices, that of justice of the peace for
John Chase came to Craftsbury, from New Hampshire, in 1831, locating
in the southern part of the town. He died in 1880, aged seventy-eight years.
Seven of his ten children are now living. George, his fourth son, born
in 1828, has resided on the farm he now occupies since 1853.
Liberty McIntyre, of East Craftsbury, located here in 1831, coming
from Massachusetts. He married Jane Patterson in 1849, and has two children.
Matthew McRoy, a native of Ireland, located as a blacksmith at East
Craftsbury, in 1831, where he died in 1879, aged eighty years. John, the
oldest of his five children, born in 1832, still resides here. He served
four years during the late war, was wounded twice, and was in Libby prison
Joseph Allen, from Burke, Vt., located upon a farm in the northeastern
part of the town in 1833, where he resided until his death, rearing a family
of seven children. James J., his third son, born in 1832, now resides on
road 22. Job W., the second son of Joseph, was born in 1828, and
has lived here since he was five years of age.
L. Carlos Bailey located at Craftsbury village in 1835, followed
blacksmithing there until 1856, then removed to South Albany, where he
remained until his death, in 1863. Four of his five children are now living.
Dr. Henry Huntington, of North Craftsbury, was born in Greensboro,
June 3, 1818, a son of Henry, Sr., who was one of the earliest settlers
of that town. Dr. Henry was educated at Craftsbury academy, and at Albany,
N. Y. medical college. He practiced medicine in Champlain, N.Y., two years,
in Craftsbury two years, and then went to Atlanta, Ga., where he practiced
dentistry fourteen years. In 1864, he left the south to avoid conscription
in the confederate army, and after five months separation from his family
they joined him in Iowa. Here, in Des Moines, he practiced dentistry a
number of years. In 1882, he returned to Craftsbury, where he now resides.
His wife, Martha M. (Duston) Huntington, is a niece of the late Gov. Crafts.
John Udall, from Hartford, Conn., came to Wolcott about 1840, locating
near the center of the town. Six of his eight children are now living,
two in this town.
Henry H. Dutton, from Royalton, Vt., located upon the farm he now
occupies, in 1845. He has three sons, two of whom are residents of the
Levi Glidden, son of Joseph Glidden, one of the early settlers in
Greensboro, came to this town in 1848, locating upon a farm in the northern
part of the town, where he resided until 1867, then removed to the farm
now owned by his son, Frank J., on road 41, and thence located in Craftsbury
village, where he died, in 1878, aged sixty-one years.
Horace Andrus, born at Newbury, Vt., in 1829, came to this town
and located on road 40, where he kept a hotel three years, and also kept
a hotel at Craftsbury village two years. He has been a Methodist
layman for a number of years, and pastor of the church in Eden two years.
Henry Douglass, from Waterbury, Vt., came to Craftsbury in 1855,
and now occupies the house where Gov. Crafts died. He has served as assistant
judge, and has been elected justice of the peace nearly every year since
he came to the town, and has been engaged in the insurance business forty
Daniel Mason, born at Sturbridge, Mass., came to Craftsbury in 1790.
He became a successful farmer and accumulated a fair property; but when
about fifty years of age he left his farm and entered the ministry of the
Calvinist Baptist church, remaining in that vocation until old age warned
him to retire. He also held most of the town offices, being a justice of
the peace thirty years. His death occurred at the age of seventy-five years,
he having been the father of ten children. His son Tyler commenced life
as a farmer, but at the age of twenty-four years commenced the study of
medicine, with Dr. F. W. Adams, of Boston, and subsequently with Dr. Allen
Smith, of Hardwick and finally graduated from Burlington medical college.
He has had a successful practice of sixty years, being now eighty-five
years of age.
The soldiers who were sent from the town during the war of 1812,
so far as known, were William Hidden, Moses Mason, Captain Hiram Mason,
James Coburn, Amory Nelson, John Towle, John Hadley, and Elias Mason.
In the war for the Union, the town furnished 128 enlisted men, five of
whom were killed in action, six died of wounds, fifteen died of disease,
five in rebel prisons, and one by accident. The expenses of the town for
the support of the war were as follows: bounties paid to volunteers, $13,268.00;
expenses in enlisting recruits, $69.40; subsistence of recruits, $19.67;
transportation of recruits, $17.20; for further expenses of same nature,
$90.15, aggregating $13,464,42. In addition, the selectmen incurred additional
expenses in transporting recruits amounting to $14.25, which the adjutant-general
allowed and paid. There was also raised by subscription, in 1862, the sum
of $16l.50 and paid as bounties to eight volunteers, for nine months service,
and the further sum of $875.00 was subscribed to aid in procuring recruits,
of which sum about $650.00 was collected and paid out, which, added to
town bounties and, other expenses, makes an aggregate of $14,275.92.
The Congregational church, located at North Craftsbury, was organized
July 4, 1797 with twenty-four members. Rev. Samuel Collins was the first
pastor. The church building was erected in 1820, though it has been re-modeled
since, so that it will accommodate 250 persons, and is valued, including
grounds, at $5,000.00. The society has 112 members, with Rev. Francis Parker,
pastor. The flourishing Sabbath school connected with this church is one
of the oldest in Vermont, its existence dating back to the summer or autumn
of 1814. Its founders and first teachers were Lucy Corey and Clarissa
Clark, both of whom were members of this society over fifty-six years.
One result of these and other faithful workers is seen in the continuous
existence and hearty support of the school down to the present time.
The First M. E. church of Craftsbury, located at North Craftsbury,
was organized by its first pastor, Wilbur Fisk, in 1818. The first church
edifice was erected in 1829, and gave place to the present building in
1852, which will comfortably seat 400 persons and is valued including grounds,
at $3,700.00. The society now has 150 members, under the charge of Rev. W. H.
The Reformed Presbyterian church of Craftsbury, located at East
Craftsbury, was organized about 1830, with sixty members. Rev. Samuel M.
Wilson was the first pastor. The building was erected in 1830, rebuilt
in 1858, and is now valued at $15,000.00. The society has sixty-five members,
with Rev. J. C. Taylor, pastor.
of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 239 to 243)
was provided by Tom Dunn.
1883 –1884 Craftsbury Business Directory