Derby lies in the northern part of the county, in lat. 44º 58', and long. 4º 50', bounded north by Canada, east by Holland, southeast by Morgan and Charleston, southwest by Coventry and Brownington, and west by Lake Memphremagog, which divides it from Newport.  It was chartered by Vermont, October 29, 1779, to Timothy Andrus and fifty-nine associates, with an area of 23,040 acres. This area, however, has been increased and the original bounds greatly changed, as given above, by the late annexation of the township of Salem, which was effected by an act of the legislature of 1880, and took effect March 1, 1881. This wedding has made the "two one," though each has its separate history. So we will here briefly outline the history of Salem, up to the time it was annexed to Derby, then speak of the surface, settlement, etc., as simply the one town of Derby. 

       Salem was an irregular, five-sided town, lying in lat. 44º 54', and long. 4º 46', with an area of 17,330 acres, bounded north by Derby and a small part of Morgan, southeast by Charleston, and southwest by Brownington and Coventry.    It was originally granted to Josiah Gates and others, November 7, 1780, upon condition that unless the granting fees, £540, were paid before February 1, 1781, the grant would be void. The fees were not paid, therefore Gov. Thomas Chittenden authorized Noah Chittenden and Thomas Tolman to sell the township to any persons who would pay the granting fees. Col. Jacob Davis, of Montpelier, and sixty-four others became the purchasers, and a charter was issued to them August _8, 1781, the charter bounds being fixed as follows:—

"Beginning at the southwest corner of Navy [now Charleston], then northeast in the northwest line of Navy to an angle thereof, supposed to be about six miles, and carrying back that breadth northwest so far that a parallel line with the northwest line aforesaid will encompass the contents of six miles square.” 
       A survey of the land thus bounded, however, disclosed the fact that 5,7I0 acres of the territory were within the bounds of Derby. This caused an uncertainty to rest upon the title to these lands, and discouraged settlements in both towns, and also led to long controversies between the respective proprietors. But in 1791, the legislature confirmed the grant to Derby, thus leaving Salem nearly a fourth part smaller than a full township. The proprietors of Salem made repeated applications to the legislature for the return of a portion of the purchase money, and in 1799, the sum of $1,116.26 was refunded to them. A large part of the lands also proved unavailable on account of being covered by the lake, and an application was made to the legislature for compensation, but with what success no records show. In 1816, the town was made still smaller by the annexation to Newport of all that part of Salem lying west of the lake. 

       Notwithstanding so large a part of its granted lands were under water, Salem, had it been allowed to retain its original boundaries, would have become second to no other town in the county in population and wealth; but all its best water privileges, its best village sites, and its most valuable lands, were outside of the limits within which it was at last circumscribed. The thrifty village of Newport, the village of West Derby, and a considerable part of Derby Center, are on territory once granted to the proprietors of Salem. The first settlement was made by Ephraim Blake, March 15 1798. The population increased very slowly, amounting in 1820 to only eighty, and the town remained unorganized until April 30, 1822, when an organization was effected by the choice of the following named officers: Noyes Hopkinson, moderator and treasurer; Samuel Blake, town clerk; Ephraim Blake, J.Lyon, and Nathaniel Cobb, selectmen; John Houghton, constable; Noyes Hopkinson and Orrin Lathe, grand jurors; Abel Parlin, Samuel Blake, and Asa Lathe, listers and Nathaniel Cobb, Ephraim Blake, and Abel Parlin, highway surveyors. At the time of its annexation to Derby, however, it had no village, store, mechanic shop, post office, house of worship, nor office of a professional man within its limits. A telegraph line passed through the eastern part of the town and the Passumpsic railroad extended through the western part, but neither of these had a place of business except a wood station on the railroad. Its change of name and jurisdiction must have been considered rather in the light of an improvement than a misfortune. Here we leave Salem and from this time forward speak of both as Derby. 

       The surface of Derby is quite level, there being no elevations worthy of note except in the southern part, where are found Sugar, Elm, and Salem hills.   Clyde river forms the principal water-course, flowing through the town from east to west, affording many excellent mill-sites. The soil is fertile and abundantly productive. The timber is principally rock-maple, and other hard woods, except in the vicinity of the lake, where white and Norway pine abounds, interspersed with red oak, hemlock, fir, cedar, etc. Cedar swamps from one to ten acres in extent are found in various parts.  Calciferous mica schist is the principal rock of the geological formation, though there is some clay slate along the lake shore. In the central part of the town there is a large bed of granite. A valuable quarry is worked on road, 26, owned by Curtis Willey. It was first opened by Nathan Wheeler, about 1832, the farm upon which it is located being then owned by Asel Hyde.  It was never worked to any extent, however, until 1869, when it came into the present owner's possession. The stone is susceptible of a high polish, and as it contains no iron nor other minerals, is valuable for monumental and decorative purposes. 

       In 1880, Derby had a population of 2,549 and  in 1882 was divided into twenty school districts and had nineteen common schools, employing one male and twenty-six female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary of $1,994.64. There were 553 pupils attending common schools, while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31st, was $2,133.12 with C.A. Smith, superintendent. 

       Derby, a Post Village located near the center of the town on Clyde river, contains three churches (Methodist, Congregational and Baptist), one hotel, academy building, one general store, a drug store, two furniture and undertaking stores, a grist-mill, saw-mill, wagon shop, marble shop, and about 250 inhabitants. 

       Derby Line, a post village located on the line between this town and Canada, contains one church (Universalist), a bank, hotel, four stores, photograph gallery, livery stable, millinery store, wagon shop, and about 250 inhabitants. It is reached by a branch of the Massawippi railroad. 

       West Derby, a post village located on the Clyde river about a mile east of Newport, contains one church (Baptist), one store, one grocery, a paper-mill, veneer-mill, grist-mill, and about 300 inhabitants. 

       Beebe Plain, a post village located on the Canada line about two miles west from Derby Line, contains one store, an hotel, and about a dozen dwellings. 

       North Derby (p. o.) is a hamlet and station on the Passumpsic railroad, located in the northwestern part of the town. 

       The National Bank of Derby Line was originally incorporated by the State in 1850, as the Peoples Bank of Derby Line, with a capital of $50,000.00.  In 1857, this capital was increased to $75,000.00, and again in 1865, it was increased to $150,000.00, and changed to a National bank. It now has a surplus fund of $38,000.00, The presidents of the institution have been Harry Baxter, from 1850 to 1852; Portus Baxter, 1852-‘63; Levi Spalding, 1863-‘71; Austin T. Foster, from 1871 to the present time. The cashiers have been N.T. Sheafe, 1851-’53; D.B.B. Cobb, 1853-‘55; Stephen Foster, from 1855 to the present time. 

       The International Company of Derby Line manufacturers and dealers in lumber, located in this town, with an office at, Newport, was chartered by the State in 1882, and organized with a paid up capital of $100,000.00, January 22, 1883, with John L. Edwards president; H. E. Folsom, treasurer; and L. C. Grandy, manager. The company was formed by the consolidation of several interests, the principal of which was the Lyndonville Dressing-Mill. The new mill is a building 120 by 36 feet, two stories in height, while their large lumberyard is admirably situated for both lake and railroad transportation. The company deals largely in all kinds of lumber, especially in Quebec and hardwood flooring, and manufactures boxes and chair-stock extensively. 

       M.A. Adams's grist and flouring-mill located at Derby village, has four runs of stones and grinds 15,000 bushels of grain annually. 

       J.H. Searle's veneer-mills, located on road 64, are operated by steam-power and are supplied with one lumber-saw, four bench-saws, one swing-saw, one veneer cutter, a drag-saw, and two machines for making baskets. Mr. Searles employs thirty men and manufactures fifty car-loads of chair-stock, 500,000 feet of veneer per month, and 1,000,000 baskets of different kinds per annum. 

       Ira A. Adams's woolen-mill, located on road 46, was built in 1845, and came into the present proprietor's hands in 1865. It is operated by water-power and has the capacity for manufacturing seventy-five yards of cloth per day. 

       A.J. Allbee' s sash door, and blind factory, located at Derby village, gives employment to six hands, and turns out about $5,000.00 worth of stock per year. 

       The Memphremagog Machine Shop and Boat-yard, located on the eastern shore of the lake manufactures steam yachts, row-boats, and steam engines. 

       The Clyde River Paper-Mill, located at West Derby, P.S. Robinson, proprietor, employs eight hands and manufactures about $15,000.00 worth of paper per year. 

       The West Derby Flouring Mill, Lane & Davis, proprietors, was built in 1835. The mill has four runs of stones and does several thousand dollars worth of business per year. 

       The first permanent settlement was made in 1795, by Judge Timothy Hinman, who came on from Southbury, Conn., with his family, and located upon the farm now owned by Charles Johnson and others. He was one of the original proprietors, and the only one of them who ever settled here. Mr. Hinman was one of the most prominent men of the town for many years, being the first town clerk, first justice of the peace, and first representative. He married Phoebe Stoddard and reared a family of eleven children, two of whom, Mrs. Horace Stewart and Mrs. Clarissa Forbes, are living. His death occurred in 1880. 

       In the autumn of 1790, be came to the town and located his farm, though he did nothing towards improving it until 1795. From Greensboro, a distance of thirty miles, he made the journey on horseback, leaving his nearest neighbors at that point. In the autumn of that year, however, he was joined by Henry Buzzell, from Danville, who located upon the farm now owned by Mr. Blake, and John, Joseph and Henry Merritt made a settlement upon the farm now owned by Carlos Daggett, and Rufus Stewart, from Brattleboro, came in 1797, and settled upon the farm now owned by George Eaton. Mr. Hinman was one of the most prominent men of the town for many years, being the first town clerk, first justice of the peace, and first representative. He married Phoebe Stoddard and reared a family of eleven children, two of whom, Mrs. Horace Stewart and Mrs. Clarissa Forbes, are living. His death occurred in 1850. 

       In 1794, a Mr. Strong came on from Connecticut and built a saw-mill where West Derby now is, to which was added a grist-mill not long after. Benjamin Hinman, from Southbury, Conn., who was so long prominently identified with the interests of the town, came on with men who built the mill, in the capacity of cook. He returned to Connecticut with them in the autumn, stayed through the winter, and then came on and made the first settlement upon the farm now owned by Mr. Watson. 
 

       The settlement of the town rapidly increased, so that in 1800, it had a population of 178. The first town meeting was held at the house of Timothy Hinman, March 29, 1798, when the following officers were elected: Timothy Hinman, moderator and clerk; Isaac Hinman, Elisha Lyman, and Henry Buzzel, selectmen; Rufus Stewart, constable; Samuel Hill, grand juror; James Greenleaf, Isaac Hinman, and Elisha Lyman, listers; Aaron Vilas, Henry Buzzell, Eliphalet Bangs, and Elisha Lyman, surveyors of highways; Jehiel Broadman, sealer of weights and measures; and Samuel Hill and Aaron Vilas, fence viewers. 

       The first freemen's meeting was held September 4, 1798, when nine votes were cast for Paul Bingham for governor, and Timothy Hinman elected representative. The first hotel was kept by Timothy Hinman, where Charles Johnson now resides. Ezra Hinman, son of Judge Hinman, was the first male child born, and Rachel Buzzell, daughter of Henry Buzzell, was the first female born. Levi Bigelow kept the first store. The first deaths were two children of Solomon Ashley, in 1800. The first school was kept by David Bebee, on the farm of Timothy Hinman. The first physician was Luther Newcomb, who came from Massachusetts in 1798. The first deed recorded in the town was given to Ebenezer Strong, of Southbury, Conn., by Moses Robinson, of Bennington, bearing date of January 12, 1790, and acknowledged January 18, 1791. The first settled Congregational minister was Luther Leland, about 1808, and the first Baptist clergyman was Samuel Smith. Both came about the same time and the right of land set aside for the first settled minister was divided between them. 

       Major Rufus Stewart, born in 1776, came to Derby in 1797, and made the first settlement upon the farm now owned by George S. Eaton, where he resided until 1812, when he removed his family to Morgan and joined the American army, ranking as captain. He served three years, was at the battle of Plattsburgh, and, in 1816, returned to Derby and purchased the farm now owned by his son, Emery Stewart, where he died in June, 1846, aged seventy-one years. His wife died in 1842. Two of their six children are living—Emery, on the old homestead, and Nancy, widow of Aaron Hinman, at Derby village. 

       Horace Stewart, son of Major Rufus, who died at Beebe Plain, May 25, 1883, was born here September 25, 1804. About 1826, after alternating between the farm and an indifferent experience in trade, he went to Beebe Plain and erected the plain, yet comfortable and substantial buildings which still stands unimpaired by time. He soon rose in the esteem of those around him and came to be regarded as one of the first business men in the county. It is a little remarkable that notwithstanding his large business, extending from the Connecticut river far into Canada, and involving dealings with all kinds of men, he never was charged with violating an agreement or indulging in a trick. February 3, 1830, he married Catharine Hinmen, a woman of remarkable kindness and benevolence, who survives him. There were four children born to them, only one of whom, a daughter, is living. With the death of Mr. Stewart, Derby lost not only one of its most enterprising business men, but one of the most kindly, courteous, and hospitable gentlemen of the town, while his family has to mourn the departure of a most considerate husband, father and brother. Mr. Stewart was a man of commanding figure and gentlemanly deportment, of very even temper, ever having a kind word for all, yet strict and rigid in rules of business. 

       Phineas Stewart, brother of Rufus, went from Brattleboro, Vt., to Plainville, Ohio, where he died in 1871. His daughter, Sophia D., married R. S. Brown, of Brattleboro, who is now living in Malone, N. Y., she having died in October, 1871. Their daughter Annie married Rufus P. Stewart, son of Horace Stewart, in May, 1871. One son, Harry B., now resides at Beebe Plain. 

       Charles Kingsbery was an early settler in Derby. His lineal ancestors came from England about 1650, settled at Ipswich, Mass., and had seven sons. Henry Kingsbery, the seventh, with his wife, Susannah, settled at Haverhill, Mass., where, in 1656, their son Joseph was born. In 1679, Joseph married Love Ayres, also of Haverhill, and had two sons, Joseph and Nathaniel, and several daughters. The sons married Ruth and Hannah Dennison, sisters, of Ipswich, Mass.  Nathaniel settled in Andover, Conn. Joseph and Ruth, soon after their marriage, in 1705, removed to Norwich, Conn. Their son Joseph was the father of Sanford Kingsbery, and grand-father of Charles, the subject of our sketch. Sanford was educated at Yale college, married Elizabeth Fitch, and died at Claremont, N.H., in 1834, aged ninety-six years. Charles, his eldest son, came to Derby in 1790, married Persis Stewart, and reared a family of nine children, viz.: Mary Ann, born in 1801; George, in 1804; Sanford, in 1805; Lucius, in 1807; Eliza, in 1809; Charles, in 1812; Persis, in 1813; Emera, in 1815; and Henry, born in 1816. Of these, George, Sanford, Charles, Eliza, and Henry, settled in the western part of the State of Georgia, while the others remained in Derby, and married as follows: Mary Ann became the wife of Levi Child and had seven children—Charles B., Susan, Ann, William, John, Katharine, and Ruth. Lucius married Jane E. Drakely, and had two children—Helen A. and George D. Persis became the wife of Lewis Patch, M. D., and had no issue. Emera married Mary Forbes, and reared three children—Persis, Charles, and William. 

       Charles, or Esq. Kingsbery as he was familiarly known, suffered all the vicissitudes and privations of a pioneer. The first three years he worked on his clearing, living in a bark shanty and sleeping upon a bed of hemlock boughs. His winters, however, he spent in Claremont, N.H. In 1800, the clearing having become sufficiently large to yield crops of value, he built a house and barn, and on the 17th of September married Persis Stewart, daughter of Gen. Stewart, of Brattleboro, Vt., and brought his wife to their new home. His first deed is dated in 1797, being for a piece of land located nearly half way between the center of the town and the Canada line, and about eighty rods east of the present traveled road. Upon this piece of land he planted the first apple trees in the town, and made the first cider, which orchard still bears fruit. In 1812, he removed to a farm about half a mile east of Derby Center, and, in 1820, he located opposite the present site of the Congregational church, known as the Kingsbery place, where he died, in 1843. Mr. Kingsbery was an early town representative, holding the office three successive years, and was also elected to that office in 1828, '29, '38, and '39. He also held the office of town treasurer from 1812 to 1833, was a justice of the peace from the organization of the town to 1829, lister from 1806 to 1826, and overseer of the poor three years. Esq. Kingsbery lived a life that reflected no discredit upon his ancestors, and handed an unsullied name down to his posterity. 

     Samuel Colby, from Thornton, N.H., came to Derby in 1797, and made the first settlement on the farm now owned by Ralph Kelsea, where he reared a family of five children. Nehemiah, the oldest son, kept a store nearly all his life, and was postmaster nearly thirty years, where his son, George Colby, now resides. 

      Dr. Luther Newcomb, the first physician in the town, came here in 1797. He married Milley Conant, of Glover, and died in 1831. His son Orem was a merchant here for many years, and a leading man of the town. He died in 1854. His widow, and son Orem survive him. 

      David Dustin, son of Timothy, a descendant of Hannah Dustin, of Haverhill, Mass., was born in Claremont, N.H., May 29, 1777, came to Derby in 1799, and purchased the farm now owned by his son, Joel R., and returned to Claremont. In 1800, he came back and felled the first tree out on the farm, and lived here alone in a camp five years. He then built a house and married Amelia Broadman, by whom he had a family of five children. During the war of 1812, he served as captain of cavalry. His wife died in February, 1824, and he subsequently married Fanny E. Robinson, of Brattleboro, by whom he had three children. Joel R., the youngest, occupies the homestead. 

       Charles Sias, from Danville, Vt., came here a short time previous to 1800, and located on road 40. About the same time his son, John Sias, came on and located near him. John had a family of nine children, four of whom are living, and died in 1860. His wife died one year previous. Of the children. Roxana, widow of Freeman Miller, and Louisa, wife of Solomon Fields, reside in Newport. Cyrus S. and Marshall reside in Derby. Marshall married Susan Cummings and reared two children, of whom Martha, wife of Jackson G. Kendall, resides in Newport. 

      Joseph Benham, born at Middlebury, Conn., in 1769, came to Derby in 1806, and made the first settlement upon the farm now owned by A. D. Bates, where he resided until his death, in 1856, aged eighty-seven years. Deacon Nathan S. Benham, son of Japeth, born in 1802, is now the oldest native born citizen of the town. 

     Sylvanus Bates came from Woodstock in 1800, and made the first settlement on  the farm now owned by Mrs. Betsey Orcutt.   It was on this farm that General Whitelaw camped during the "dark day," while surveying the town. 

     William Forbes, from New Haven, Conn., settled upon the farm now owned by W.F. Kingsbury, in 1804. He was twice married, and died in 1850. His son, Sherman, now resides here at the advanced age of eighty-eight years. He married Alice Houghton and had a family of eight children, three of whom are living—William, in Boston, Mary, wife of Emera Kingsbery, and Eliza, wife of T. P. Vanderwater, of Charleston. 

      John Wilson, born in Massachusetts, February 15, 1775, came to Derby about 1804, and settled upon the farm now owned by his son, Lewis Wilson. He had a family of seven children, and died August 29, 1839, aged sixty-four years. His wife died December 26, 1869, aged eighty-four years. 

      David Hopkinson, Jr., from Guildhall, Vt., came to Derby in 1802, and purchased the farm now owned by David Hopkinson.  Col. Noyes Hopkinson, brother of David, Jr., came in 1818, and exchanged farms with David, Jr., who returned to Guildhall. The farm is now owned by David, son of Noyes, who represented the town of Salem in the legislature four times. He has in his possession an old clock purchased by his grandfather in 1809, for a watch worth $46.00. He also has a copy of Spooner's "Vermont Journal,"published at Windsor in 1796. 

      David Hopkinson, Sr., came here with Noyes in 1818, and died in 1830, aged seventy-nine years. Noyes died in 1860, aged seventy-two years. 

       Col. Chester Carpenter was born in Randolph, Vt., and came to Derby in 1807, making the first settlement on the farm now owned by Edward Martin, where he resided until 1815, then sold out and removed to Derby village, purchasing the site of the present hotel, together with two hundred acres of land, and kept a hotel until 1840.  In 1824, he became a member of the Baptist church and became a prominent instrument in building the church and academy. He gave all his surplus money, $4,000.00, to aid in erecting the church and school building, and donated the grounds for the church, parsonage and cemetery, and also donated all lands for the building of roads that passed through his farm. Mr. Carpenter was the first volunteer from this town for the battle of Plattsburgh. He died at Derby village, December 31, 1872, aged eighty-five years. 

       Charles C. Lunt, born in Newburyport, Mass., in 1767, came to Derby from Stanstead, P.Q., in 1808, locating at Derby village, and after a few years removed to Rochester, N.Y., where he subsequently died. His son Johnson settled in Holland, married Sarah Paynton, of that town, reared a family of eleven children, and now resides with his daughter, Emma Nye, of Charleston, aged eighty-seven years. His wife is seventy-seven years of age. Charles Lunt resides in Derby, on road 7. He represented the town in 1870, ‘71, and is one of the present selectmen. 

       Ira M. Foss was born in New Hampshire, September 26, 1811, and came to Derby in October, 1831. March 23, 1835, he married Hannah Heath, and has had a family of eleven children, eight of whom are living. Mrs. Foss died February 9, 1882, aged sixty-seven years. 

       Israel Williams, from Guildford, Vt., went to Stanstead, P.Q., about 1800. During the war of 1812, his sons were drafted into the British army; but not wishing to, serve on that side of the cause they came to Derby. One son, Joel, returned to Canada after the war, remained a time, then came back to Derby and built a house on the farm now owned by his son Sylvester, where he remained until his death, in 1874, aged eighty-four years.   His wife died in 1876, aged seventy-seven years. Six of their children are now living, one in this town. 

      David M. Camp was born at Tunbridge, Vt., in 1788, graduated from the University of Vermont in 1810, and came to Derby in 1813, as a customs officer. Mr. Camp was president of the first senate held in the State, in 1837, which office he held five years, and also served as county superintendent of schools for several years. He died in February, 1871, aged eighty-three years. 

     Nathan Morgan, from Norwich, Conn., came to Morgan in 1799, and made the first settlement on the farm now owned by Ceylon Wilcox, where he reared a family of thirteen children. Calvin, the oldest son, was a captain in the American army during the war of 1812, and came to Derby in 1814, remained until 1820, when he removed to Stanstead, P.Q., and died there in 1869, aged eighty-eight years. 

     Frank Place was born near  London, England, in 1792. When quite young he enlisted as a bugler in the British army, and during the war of 1812 came to America with his regiment. While in Quebec, he, in company with a non-commissioned officer by the name of Tim McDaniels, deserted. After many days of weary travel through the wilderness, and many narrow escapes from recapture, they reached Derby Line. While camping in the woods here they heard a team approaching. McDaniels immediately plunged into the thicket and was never heard from after. Place remained, found friends and work and became a resident of the town, dying in 1867, aged seventy-five years. On one occasion he was induced to go to Stanstead to play the bugle at a grand drill. There he met his old colonel who immediately arrested him. Place requested permission to go into a store and get a glass of liquor, which request was granted, and slipping out of a rear door effected his escape.  He married Philinda Dwyer and reared a family of three children, two of whom, Elvira Powers, of this town, and Catharine McDougal, of Barton, are now living. 
Chauncey Wilson, son of John, was born in this town July 12, 1814.  June 15, 1844, he married Harriet Blodgett, by whom he has reared a family of six children, viz.:— John B., Frank B., Mary A., (died February 18, 1863,) Henry M., Willie E., and Emma E.  Mr. Wilson has been an extensive farmer and stock breeder. He represented the town in the legislature of 1872-‘73, and has held the office of selectman and lister. 

       Isaac Robbins came from Canton N.H, in 18l5, and purchased the farm now owned by John Kelley, where he lived about fifteen years, when the farm passed into the hands of his son, Alvin, and he moved to what is now Derby Center, and engaged in the manufacture of furniture, which business he followed as long as age permitted.  He died in 1866, aged eighty-four years. 

      James Jenne, a native of New Hampshire, came to Derby in 1815, and made the first settlement on the farm now owned by A.A. Green. He married Betsey Carey of Hartland, reared a family of ten children, five of whom are living, viz.:—Tolman, Thomas, and Betsey, in Derby, George in Morgan, and Stillman, in Newbury, Vt. Thomas was born here December 11, 1812, and has resided upon the farm he now occupies since he was four years of age. He has a family of six children, one of whom Loren M., is principal of Newport Academy. 

      Jedediah Dane located at West Derby in 1815, and resided there until his death, in November, 1866, aged eighty-two years. His wife died during the previous March, aged seventy-six years. Four of their six children are now living. One son, Nathaniel G., born September 18, 1829, resides at West Charleston. He married Martha Walker and has four children. 

      David Kittridge was born in Danville, Vt., in 1782, and came to Derby in 1815, making the first settlement on the farm now owned by his son, Lyndal M. Kittridge. 

      Daniel D. Holmes was born in Stonington, Ct, in 1787, and came with his father to Derby in 1817, locating upon the farm now owned by H.D. Holmes. 

      Josiah Lyon was born December 3, 1772, at Woodstock, Conn., married Polly Cole January 4, 1798, and came to this county in 1803. He first located in the northern part of Troy where he cleared a small farm and resided until 1818, then came to Derby. He reared a family of twelve children, four of whom are now living, and died in 1866, aged ninety-four years and six months. Mrs. Lyon died in 1865, aged eighty-eight years. Mr. Lyon represented the town of Salem a number of years, and held all the other town offices many terms. He was also a deacon of the Baptist church at Derby Center over forty years. Porter Lyon, his son, born February 27, 1806, now resides on road 51. He married Elvira Morse, January 9, 1831, and has had a family of nine children. Four of his sons were in the late civil war, and one, Harrison, lost his life in the service. 

      John Grow was born in Hartland,Vt., and came to Derby in 1820, and located upon the farm now owned by John Daley. He resided there two years, then removed to the farm now owned by his son, Calvin S., on road 75, and cut the first tree on that place. Four of his sons are now living, Calvin S., aged seventy-five years, on the old homestead; John M., with John M., Jr.; Leland A., in Johnson; and Marcus A, in Wheelock, Vt.

      Francis Gardner, a soldier of the war of 1812, was born at Roxbury, Mass., in 1791, and came to Derby about 1820.  He married Sally Foss and reared a family of four children, of whom Franklin M. and Susan reside in this town, Samuel in Holland, and Russell H. in Bethlehem, N.H.  Mr. Gardner died from the effects of a sabre-wound received at Chateaugay, N.Y.

      Thomas Collier came from Hardwick, Vt., in 1821, and settled upon the farm now owned by L. N. Collier, where he died in 1849. His son, Levi L., came to the town with him and resided on the homestead until his death, in 1878, aged seventy-five years. Levi was for many years engaged in teaming from Derby to Boston, Mass. 

     Francis House, from Fairlee, Vt., was one of the first settlers in Stanstead, P.Q., in 1798. His son, Hiram, was born there in 1801, and in 1822 he came to Derby, making the first settlement on the farm now owned by C. B. Buell.  In 1868, he removed to road 20, where he now resides. 

     Moses Blake, son of Israel, was born in Campton, N.H., September 27, 1783. He married Nancy A. Story and came to Holland in 1814, remained there until 1823, then came to Derby and purchased the farm now occupied by his son, Moses. He died October 28, 1861, aged seventy-eight years. 

      John Lindsay was born in Newbury, Vt., in 1797, and removed from there to Stanstead, P.Q., in 1815. He was a carpenter by trade, and built the first house erected between West Derby and the Canada line, which is now  occupied by Edward Ball. In 1823, he removed to Derby. He married Pleuma Ball, of Stanstead, and reared a family of five children, three of whom, Marshall, Harriet, and Hinman now reside here. 

      Freeman Haskell, from Lyndon, Vt., removed to Rock Island, P.Q., in, 1823. He there built the oil-mill, saw-mill, cloth-mill, and other business places, and died from injuries received in falling upon a saw in the mill, in 1828. He married Fanny Kaltear, who died in 1878, and had two children, Carlos F. and Fanny.  Carlos F. married Martha M. Stewart, and settled at Derby Line and carried on the mercantile business, dying in 1865.  He had one son, H. Stewart, who now is a resident of the town. 

      John Macomber was born at Bridgewater, Mass., December 8, 1800, and settled at Derby Center in 1858. He married Carrie R. Booth, of New Bedford, Mass., and had a family of five children, one of whom, Ella, wife of Gen. Davis, resides in the town. Mr. Macomber died March 27, 1883. 

       Col. Joseph Morse was born in Newbury, Mass. When quite young he removed to Bridgewater, N.H.  In 1823, he came to this town. He helped to build the road on the west side of Salem pond, and was the first postmaster in Salem, and also had a school taught in his house. He married Abigail Thomas and reared a family of ten children, seven of whom became prominent men. Rev. C. F. Morse, a Congregational minister, was a missionary in Turkey fourteen years, and now resides at Mclndoes Falls.   Rev. S. B. Morse is a Baptist minister, of Providence, R.I.  Alvira, wife of Porter Lyon, resides in this town. Mr. Morse died in September, 1873, aged eighty-six years. His wife died October 8, 1873, aged eighty-three years. 

      Joshua Blodgett, Jr., son of Joshua Blodgett, who was a Revolutionary soldier, came to Derby in 1822, locating upon the farm now owned by Frank Eddy. Joshua, Jr., was a soldier of the war of 1812. 

     Stephen Foster, father of Stephen, Jr., and Austin T., were born in Rochester, Mass., July 30, 1772. He was the fifth descendant of Thomas Foster, who came to Massachusetts in 1635. January 3, 1802, he married Mary King, daughter of Jonathan King, and shortly afterwards, with his wife, came to what is now known as East Montpelier, where he had already prepared a home. Mr. Foster died April 3, 1850, leaving a family of seven children. Stephen Foster, born in 1806, came to Derby Line in May, 1828, and engaged in trade with Col. James H. Langdon, of Montpellier, under the style of Langdon & Foster. In 1833, Levi Spalding purchased the interest of Col. Langdon, the new style being Spalding & Foster, and so continued till 1844, when his brother, Austin T. Foster, purchased his interest and continued the firm under the same name. He moved into Canada in 1831, was mayor of the county of Stanstead, P.Q., in 1855, and had the honor of receiving Earl Head, governor-general of Canada, on his visit to Stanstead in that year was appointed cashier of the People's Bank of Derby-Line, in 1855, and holds that office now in the National Bank of Derby Line, and being, with one exception—Wm. P. Black, of Manchester—the oldest cashier in Vermont, has held many offices of honor and trust and is now in his 77th year. Austin T., when in his fifteenth year, left East Montpelier and entered his brother Stephen's store, at Rock Island, as a clerk. In his 19th year he was admitted as a partner in the firm of Spalding & Foster. From this time till 1882, he continued in business either alone or with a partner, first at Rock Island, and finally at Derby Line. In 1865, he opened a boot and shoe manufactory at Rock Island. He served two terms in the Vermont legislature, 1862-‘63.  In 1872, he became president of the National Bank of Derby Line, having been a director in that and the State bank since 1852. He married Amelia.Way, Sept. 19, 1848, who died Nov. 9, 1850. His second wife was Sarah H. Gilman, daughter of Capt. John Gilman, of Stanstead, P.Q., by whom he has a family of four children. Harriet married Frank M. House, of Somerville, Mass., July 26, 1877; John Gilman is a lawyer at Derby Line; Mary J. resides at home; and Stephen A. is attending school. 

      James Kelsey, Jr., whose father was an early settler in Danville, Vt., came to Derby in 1832, and located upon the farm now owned by Moses M. Kelsey, where he died, in 1878, aged eighty-five years. This farm was originally settled by Charles Sias, Jr., and was known as the great swamp. It has been owned by the Kelsey family since 1824. 

      Asa Carlton, born at Luenburg, Mass., in 1764, was engaged in the Revolutionary war, and came to Derby in 1824, locating upon the farm now owned by Auretus F. Adams. Ruth, widow of Levi P. Adams, and daughter of Asa, also resides on the farm with her son, being ninety years of age. 

      John Allbee came to Derby in 1835, locating in the eastern part of the town, where he died in 1862. His son, A.J.Allbee, still resides here, engaged in manufacturing pursuits. 

      James Morrill, from Danville,Vt., came to Derby in 1838, and located upon the farm now owned by Charles Marston, and died here in 1846. His son James located upon the farm now owned by A.J. Morrill, in 1838, and died in 1875, aged sixty-six years. A.J., son of James, Jr., married Martha Paine, and has one son, Charles F. 

     Nelson Davis, son of William Davis, of Royalton, Mass., came to Derby in December, 1841. He carried on a saw-mill at West Derby until 1881, and also manufactured lead piping, pumps and starch, being now proprietor of the grist-mill of that place. He married Sarah Coburn, of Westfield, Vt., and has three children. 

     Parker Dodge, from Hopkinton, Mass., was one of the early settlers of Hartland, Vt. His son William came to Derby in 1842. 

     Levi Spalding was born in Sharon, Vt., in 1805, and went to Montpelier when twelve years of age, to live with his brother, John Spalding. He finally became a clerk in the store of Langdon & Spalding, and afterwards became a partner.  In 1833, he sold out and moved to Canada, entering into business with Stephen Foster at Rock Island. This co-partnership lasted ten years, during which time he, Foster, and George R. Holmes carried on a business at Derby Line, under the style of Foster, Holmes & Co.  In 1845, he removed to Derby Line, where he died, in June, 1871, aged sixty-five years. 

     Ahira Green, son of Edmond Green, an early settler in Danville, was born at that place in 1808.  In 1828, he married Roxanna T. Mears, and in 1830, removed to Charleston. After residing in that town and in Canada a number of years, he came to this town in 1846, locating upon the farm he now occupies. 

      John Tinker, son of Joel Tinker, an early settler in Chelsea, Vt., came to Derby in June, 1848, locating at Derby Center, where he carried on the furniture business a number of years, and subsequently moved to Beebe Plain, where he now acts as postmaster, having held the position since 1867. Mr. Tinker has also held the office of high sheriff, and was a custom-house officer two years. He was born September 3, 1811, married Emily Ross, of Williamstown, Vt., and has had a family of seven children, six of whom are living. 

     Moses Darling was born in Hopkinton, N.H., served in the Revolutionary war, and about 1800, moved to Ryegate, Vt., resided there two years, then located in Wheelock, where he died, in 1822. Only two of his fourteen children, Edward N., of Hudson, Wis., and Joseph, of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, are living. His grandson, Ezra F., son of David, resides in this town, on road 16. 

      Furber A. Goodwin, from New Hampshire, settled in Sheffield about 1810. His son Warren, now lives in Derby, on road 19. 

      John Lynch was born in Ireland in 1800, and came to this country in 1847, locating at Plymouth, N.H. Two years later he came to this town and purchased the place he now occupies with his son Daniel. 

     Martin Adams, from St. Johnsbury, was one of the first settlers in Newport, his son Abial being the first male child born in that town. He married Irene Gray and reared a family of fourteen children, eleven of whom are now living. His son, Ira A., is proprietor of the woolen-mill on road 46, of this town. 

      During the late war Derby performed her full share in suppressing the rebellion, and, in 1866, erected a fine granite monument at Derby Center in honor of her brave ones who fought our battles. The monument is located on a little knoll fifteen feet high, about eight rods back from the road. The front side of the die contains in heavy raised letters the following inscription: "In Memory of the Volunteers from Derby, who Lost their Lives in the Great Rebellion, 1861-’65.” The south side contains the names of the four officers, and underneath their names a sunken shield with the raised letters, “U.S." On the east side are the names of twenty-four privates, and on the north side the names of twenty-five privates, which completes the list of fifty-three men whom Derby sacrificed in the war. 

      The Congregational church, located at Derby, was organized in 1806, with sixteen members, Rev. Luther Leland being the first pastor. The church building is a wood structure, built in 1849. It will comfortably accommodate 300 persons, Cost $2,500.00, and is now valued, including grounds, at $6,000.00. The society.has ninety-eight members, with no regular pastor. 

      The Methodist Episcopal church, located at Derby, was organized in 1830. The church is a wood structure, erected in 1845, capable of seating 250 persons, costing $1,350.00 and is valued, including grounds, at $2,600.00. The society has sixty-three members, with Rev. C.A. Smith, pastor. 

Gazetteer of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 
1883-1884, Compiled and Published by Hamilton 
Child; May 1887, Page  250 to 254

This excerpt was provided by Tom Dunn.



1883 –1884 Derby Business Directory
1896-1897 West Derby Town Directory
1916 -West Derby Town Directory
1925-1967 Town Reports Death Notices of Derby, VT 
Tombstone Listings from the Kelsey - Morrill Cemetery in 
Derby, VT
Virtual Vermont ~ Derby, VT
Derby Township, Orleans County