lies in the southwestern part of the county, in lat 44º47', and long.
4º 21`', bounded north by Westfield and Troy, east by Irasburgh and
Albany, south by Eden, and west by Montgomery, having an irregular outline
much in the form of a triangle. It was granted March 5, 1797 and chartered
by Gov. Thomas Chittenden to John Kelley, Esq., of New York, from whom
it received its original name, Kelleyvale. In two charters, the first
for 6,000 acres, being dated June 6, 1791, and the second, for 31,000,
June 7, 1791. November 1, 1831, the name of Kelleyvale was altered
to the one it now bears. Immediately after its charter the township passed
into the hands of Mr. Kelley's creditors, who sold it to a William Duer
for $4,680.00, and a considerable portion of the territory still remains
in the hands of non-residents.
The town is hemmed in by mountains and hills on three sides. Upon
the southern border are Mts. Norris, Hadley and Belvidere. A high range
of hills skirt the western border, so abrupt that five ranges of lots on
this border were set to Montgomery, owing to the abrupt mountain between
them and the center of Lowell. And in the eastern part of the town is a
mountain which affords only two places for a road, one is the old Hazen
road, and the other is the Irasburgh route. Serpentine hill, in the northern
part of the town, is also an abrupt elevation, The whole eastern and central
portions of the town are very rough and mountainous, yielding generally
but scanty returns for the husbandman's labor. The northern part of the
township is a fertile, sandy plain, watered by the branches of the Missisquoi
river which has its source here, forming the most available farming land
in the township. The numerous springs and streams that unite to form the
Missisquoi are waters of an exceptionably pure quality, and are peopled
with beautiful specimens of speckled trout. Large quantities of hard and
soft wood timber are standing in the forest, while excellent mill privileges
are afforded, and it only needs a convenient mode of transportation to
make Lowell an exceedingly busy lumbering town, and this desired consummation
is likely soon to be realized in the Burlington & Northeastern railroad.
The main rocks entering into the geological formation of the territory
are of the talcose schist variety, though there are narrow veins of clay
slate and steatite throughout the eastern part of the town. Among the hills
and valley are found serpentine, feldspar, amianthus, pudding-stone, and
asbestos. Iron has also been dug from the swamp land and worked at Troy.
A mineral spring, impregnated with iron and sulphur, also exists in the
northern part of the town.
In 1880, Lowell had a population of 1,057, and in 1882, the town
was divided into seven school districts and contained eight common schools,
giving employment to four male and nine female teachers, to whom was paid
an aggregate salary of $1,142.29. There were 274 pupils attending common
school, while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October
31st, was $1,261.28, with Rufus King, superintendent.
Lowell, a post village located near the central part of the town,
on the Missisquoi river, contains three churches, (Congregational, Baptist,
and Roman Catholic) a tasty public school building, two stores, a grist-mill,
saw-mill, tub factory, starch factory, sash, door and blind factory, a
tin shop, two blacksmith shops, two carriage shops and about forty dwellings.
The village also has a literary association, established in 1864, which
now has 300 books in its circulating library, and is in a flourishing condition.
Parker & Kinney's saw-mill, located on the Missisquoi river,
occupies the site of a mill built in 1805, by Col. E. Crafts, the first
erected in the town. In 1867, Mr. Parker purchased the property of D.E.Works,
and in 1880, Mr. Kinney bought a half interest. The mill has the capacity
for manufacturing about 1,500,000 feet of timber annually.
D.E. Work's grist-mill, located at Lowell village, contains a flour
mill and corn crusher and does custom work.
E.B. Edwards's sawmill located on road 21, gives employment to three
hands, and turns out about 400,000 feet of lumber per annum.
T.W. Jones's sash, door and blind factory, located at the village,
was built by Edson Kinney, in 1876, upon the site of the mill destroyed
by fire during that year. In 1877, it was purchased by the present proprietor,
who now does a flourishing business.
Harding & Thayer's tub factory, located at the village, was
originally built for a clapboard-mill, by Dwight Root, in 1867, and became
the property of the present owners August 16, 1872. They employ twelve
hands and turn out about 35,000 tubs per annum.
Lewis Shufelt's shingle and clapboard-mill, located at Lowell village,
employs two hands in the manufacture of these goods.
A great portion of the town is at present newly settled, and the
rough log cabins of pioneers are quite numerous. The first settlement was
commenced by Maj. William Caldwell, from Barre, Mass., who began improvements
on his land in 1803, but did not move his family to the town until April,
1806. Maj. Caldwell is said to have been one of the richest young men in
Barre, but in consequence of becoming surety for friends, lost his fortune
and came to the wilderness of Vermont to commence life anew. He became
a prominent man here, as he had been in Barre, and his memory is kindly
cherished by many. In the spring of 1807, John Harding came to the town,
drawing, with the assistance of four others, his family and goods on three
hand-sleds. He was followed soon after by others and the infant settlement
was fairly begun.
On March 12, 1812, a petition signed by nine of the inhabitants
was tendered to Medad Hitchcock, Esq., requesting him to warn a meeting
of the inhabitants for the purpose of organizing the town. The meeting
was held March 31st, at the house of Capt. Asahel Curtis when the following
officers were elected.- William Caldwell, moderator; Abel Curtis, town
clerk; Asahel Curtis, William Caldwell, and John Harding, selectman; Ebenezer
Wood, treasurer; Elijah Buxton, Horatio Walker, and Daniel Sanborn, listers;
John Harding, constable; Joseph Butterfield, grand juror; John Harding
and William Caldwell, surveyors; David Stewart, and Ebeneker Wood, fence
viewers; Asahel Curtis, pound keeper; Samuel Stewart, sealer of leather;
Benjamin Wood, sealer of weights and measures; Jonathan Power, tithing
man; Samuel Steward, Jr., and James Butterfield, haywards.
The first justice of the peace was Calvin Eaton, in 1810. The first
representative was Asahel Curtis, in 1810. The first postmaster was Abel
Curtis, in 1819, who held the position twenty years. The first birth and
death was that of a son of John Harding. The first marriage on record is
that of Jonathan Powers and Relief Stewart, December 3, 1812. The first
grist-mill was built by Asahel Curtis, in 1812, a little above Mr. Works
present mill. Abel Curtis built the first frame house, which he tore down
in 1842, to build on the same site. The first church was built by the Methodists
and the Congregationalists, in 1842. The first settled minister was Rev.
Jubilee Wellman, who drew the ministerial lot, settled in 1849. The first
school numbered twelve scholars, taught by Asahel Curtis.
Abel Curtis, from Tunbridge, Vt., came here in 1810, and located
in the central part of the town, where his son Don now resides. He taught
the first school, built the first grist-mill, was the first justice of
the peace, first postmaster, serving in that capacity until 1838, when
the new stage route left his dwelling remote, and he resigned. Mr. Curtis
was also town clerk twenty-seven consecutive years, and also a member of
the constitutional convention. He died in 1879, aged ninety-four years.
Don, the second of his four children, was born in 1823, and has always
been a resident of the town, with the exception of four years spent in
Troy, Vt. He has held the office of town clerk since 1866.
Nathan Parker came to Lowell among the early settlers of the town.
Mr. Parker was a captain in the American army during the war of 1812, and
was on his way to Plattsburgh when the news of the victory reached him.
All but one of his large family of eleven children are living. Harry B.,
his fifth child, born in 1835, is the senior partner in the firm of Parker
Jonathan Stewart, from Amherst, N.H., came here among the early
settlers and located on road 13, upon the farm now occupied by his son
Harley, who is the only one of his six children now living. He was born
in 1819, and has two sons, Albert J. and Henry P.
John Harding, from Barre, Mass., came here about 1810. He was town
representative a long term of years, assistant judge, and also held the
other town offices. Three of his nine children are living. Laban S., a
grandson of John, son of Hiram L., was born on road 13, where he now lives.
Herod Farman, from Bath, N.H., came to Lowell about 1820, and bought
a tract of 400 acres in the northeastern part of the town, though he soon
after located where his fourth son, Freeman, now resides. Mr. Farman was
prominent among his townsmen, and served in most of the town offices.
John Stebbins, from the southern part of England, came to Westfield
about 1822, and a few years later located in this town on road 12, upon
the farm now occupied by his second son, John. He held most of the town
offices and reared a family of six children, five of whom are living.
William Knapp was born in Springfield, Vt., January 8, 1797, and
came to Lowell in 1829, locating on road 31, near the Notch, where he still
resides at the age of eighty-six years. He taught school here several winters,
having had considerable experience as a teacher in New Hampshire.
Mr. Knapp has been a prominent man of the town, held most of the town offices,
and now in his advanced age is respected and honored by all.
Amasa Paine, son of Jacob, was born in Pomfret, Vt., March 12, 1810.
When about one year old his parents removed to Hardwick, where his father
died, December 12, 1854, aged seventy-two years, Amasa, in 1838, moved
to this town, locating at the village, where he still resides. He kept
a hotel twelve years, and has been largely engaged in dealing in real estate
and live stock. He has also held most of the town offices, has been postmaster,
U. S. collector, and assistant judge. B.F. Paine, of Jay, is his only son.
Roswell Allen was born at Lyme, N.H., July 13, 1801, came to Lowell
about 1836, locating on West hill, and died here in 1860, aged fifty-nine
years. His only son, William, was engaged in the late civil war, and died
thirteen days after his discharge, from disease contracted while in the
H.C. Quincey was born in Jericho, Vt., in 1819. At the age of nineteen
years he commenced teaching school, and with the proceeds of this labor
he purchased the farm he now occupies, on road 22. In 1874, he built
his present handsome, commodious residence.
Hosea Sprague came here from Massachusetts at an early date. He
reared a family of seven children, two of whom settled in the town. Laban,
his youngest son, born in 1800, followed the carpenter trade, dying here
in 1865, aged sixty-five years. Laban had but one daughter, who is now
the wife of Carlos Farman, to whom she was married in 1866.
Rev. Jubilee Wellman came here from Proctorsville,Vt., in 1850.
He was a Congregational minister and preached here until his death, in
1855, aged sixty-three years. Only one of his four children, L.Richardson,
engaged in mercantile pursuits here, is living.
Nathaniel F. Hutchinson, a native of Hartford, Vt., located in Lowell
in 1852, and in the autumn of 1854, was elected town representative. During
the following spring he returned to Windsor county, and did not come back
to this town until 1867, purchasing the farm he now owns, on road 13.
Mr. Hutchinson has held most of the town trusts, has always been an earnest
supporter of the Congregational church, and a hard worker in the Sabbath
schools, of which he has been superintendent eight years.
Silas Works, son of Isaac, was born in Ridge, N.H., November 17,
1794, married Rosalinda Baldwin, of Cavendish, Vt., February 20, 1821,
and in 1855, came to Lowell, where his son, Daniel E., and daughter, Mrs.
N.F. Hutchinson, had located in 1852. He purchased a large farm near the
village, and in 1860, erected the grist-mill now operated by his son, Daniel
E., and died here August 11, 1879, aged eighty-five years.
William N. Blake, was born in Stratford, Vt., January 17, 1802,
where his grandfather settled at an early date. His father,
Jonathan Blake, settled in Milton, Vt., in 1806. May 8, 1855, he came to
this town, and resided here until 1882, when he removed to Georgia. He
was a deacon and clerk of the Baptist church a great many years.
Lathrop Willis, son of Roger Willis, was born in Hardwick, September
20, 1804. When he was seventeen years of age his father moved to Albany,
and died there in August, 1871, aged ninety-four years. In 1860, Lathrop
came to Lowell and located where he now resides, on road 9, aged seventy-nine
years. He has had a family of six children, three of whom are living,
one, LaFayette, on the home farm. Don L., the oldest son, was killed
at the battle of the Wilderness.
Thomas S. Fisher was born in Keene, N.H., March 6, 1809. His father,
Thomas Fisher, was born in the fort at Keene during an Indian siege, September
15, 1758. Thomas located at Mclndoes Falls, Vt., in 1836, and in January,
1862, he came to Lowell, locating on road 10. Mr. Fisher has
three sons and two daughters. Two of the sons, Thomas C. and Charles W.,
live at home with their father, while the other, William H., resides in
During the war of 1812, a panic among the inhabitants, in general
with those of the other northern towns, was caused. A fort was erected
near the present site of the Congregational church, which was afterwards
used as a pound. During the late war, the town furnished sixty enlisted
men, nine of whom were killed or died from the effects of wounds or disease
contracted while in the service. Lewis J. Ingalls enlisted from Hyde Park
in the 8th Vt. Vols. In 1862, he was among those who occupied Bayou
Des Allemands, thirty-two miles from New Orleans, whence they received
their supplies. On September 4th, with a party of seventy-five comrades,
Mr. Ingalls left on a train for New Orleans. When about eight miles from
their camp they discovered that they had been ambushed by a large party
of rebels, who had turned a switch so as to throw the train into a ditch.
Ingalls, comprehending the danger in a moment, leaped from the engine and
reversed the switch, exposing himself as a target for
400 rebel muskets. The switch-post was fairly riddled with bullets, while
five of the balls were lodged in his body. He was pulled aboard the train,
however, which passed the danger, and he now lives in this town, on road
8, to tell the story.
The First Congregational church of Lowell, located at Lowell village,
was organized by Rev. Nathaniel Rawson, of Hardwick, and Rev. James Parker,
of Enosburgh, with six members, January 10, 1816, Rev. Jubilee Wellman
being the first settled pastor, in 1850. The church building is a wood
structure, built by the Congregational and Methodist societies in 1842,
and afterwards owned entirely by this church. It will seat about 225 persons,
and is valued, including other property, at $2,000.00. The society now
has eighty-nine members, with Rev. Rufus King, pastor.
The First Baptist church, located at Lowell village, was organized
by an ecclesiastical council appointed for that purpose. January 7, 1846,
Rev. J. Walden being the first pastor. The church building, erected in
1867, is a wood structure capable of seating 250 persons and is valued,
including grounds, at $5,000.00. The society now numbers about fifty members,
with no regular pastor, the minister who had been with them about eighteen
years having died about a year ago.
The Roman Catholic church of Lowell, located at Lowell village,
was organized in 1853. Preaching had been conducted here, however, since
1840, from that year until 1850, by Rev.J.0. Callaghan, then by Rev. G.R.N.Caissey
from 1864 to 1868, when, during this latter year, Rev. Father McAuley was
appointed parish priest, remaining until 1875. Rev.Father Michaud, of Newport,
supplied the pulpit until 1879, then it was supplied, until 1880, by Rev.
Joseph Calidean. Rev. Peter Matthew is the present incumbent. The church
building was erected in 1868. It will seat about 250 persons, and
is valued at $2,500.00.
of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 288)
was provided by Tom Dunn.
–1884 Lowell Business Directory