lies in the northwestern part of the county, in lat. 44º 55', and
long. 4º 36', bounded north by the Canada line, east by Newport, south
by Lowell, and west by Jay and Westfield, thus enclosing an oblong,
irregularly outlined township eleven and one-half miles long from north
to south, its north line being about five miles long and its south line
only about two miles in length. The tract was chartered by Vermont in two
gores, the southern gore containing 12,000 acres, to John Kelley, of New
York city, October 30, 1792, and the northern, containing 11,040 acres,
to Samuel Avery, October 27, 1792, making in all a territory of 23,040
acres. On October 28, 1801, these two grants were incorporated into a township
by the name of Missisquoi, which name was retained until October 26, 1803,
when it was altered to Troy.
The surface of the town is generally moderately level, as it lies
almost entirely in the valley of the Missisquoi river, one of the most
fertile and picturesque valleys in the State. This river, with its tributaries,
forms the water-course of the territory, affording ample irrigation to
the soil and several excellent mill-sites. The soil is various, the river
being generally lined with a succession of rich alluvial intervales, much
of which is overflowed by the spring freshets, and produces luxuriant crops
of grass and most kinds of grain, particularly Indian corn. Ascending from
these intervales, east and west, are large plains or gently elevated hills
composed of sand, clay, and gravel, or loam in which sand generally predominates,
the whole basing often well mixed. The plains and hills are also exceedingly
productive, easily tilled, and well adapted to most kinds of produce.
The principal rock entering into the geological formation of the
township is talcose schist. This is cut by ranges, or veins, of steatite,
serpentine and clay slate,, narrow in width and extending through the whole
length of the town from north to south, while detached or isolated beds
of steatite and granite are occasionally met with. Quartz rock
which is gold bearing to a small percentage is also found. Iron ore
in large quantities and of an excellent quality has been discovered. The
principal mine was unearthed in 1833. It lies in a high hill in the central
part of the town, about three quarters of a mile east of the river. Some
years previous, specimens of the ore had been found in detached rocks or
bowlders which had attracted attention, and had been pronounced by some
scientific men to be iron, and the existence of it in large veins or large
quantities in the vicinity had been conjectured. But the discovery of the
mine was made in 1833, by Mr. John Gale. Mr. Gale was a blacksmith,
and had resided in Troy for a few years previous to the war of 1812. While
living here he discovered a rock which from its color and weight attracted
his attention and led him to suspect it might be iron. After he left
Troy, he resided some years in the iron region west of Lake Champlain,
and, from the knowledge he then acquired of ore was confirmed in the belief
that the ledge he saw in Troy contained iron. Returning to this vicinity
on a visit, he, with Hovey Scott, Esq., of Craftsbury, commenced search
for this ore, in which they were joined by Thomas Stoughton, Esq., of Westfield.
After searching some days, Mr. Gale discovered the vein of ore lying, as
he thought, at or near the spot where he had had discovered it more than
twenty years before, He broke off some specimens of the rock
and tested their value by melting them down in a black-smith's forge and
hammering them into horse-shoe nails. This discovery occasioned great excitement
in the vicinity, and extravagant expectations were formed of the value
of the mine. The owner of the lot, Fletcher Putnam, gave a deed of one
half of the ore to the discoverers, according to the promise he had made
them when they commenced the search. Mr.Putnam had a short time before
purchased this lot of land for $500.00, and shortly after the discovery
of the ore sold the land and his half of the ore for $3,000.00. Mr.Stoughton,
after keeping his interest in the ore for several years, sold for $2,000.00.
Mr.Gale realized but little from his ore and Mr. Scott nothing at all.
So their dreams of a great fortune accruing from the mine were never realized.
A forge was erected at Phelps Falls, just north of Troy village,
in 1834, by several individuals in Troy, and the reduction of the ore commenced.
The owners of the forge soon became discouraged, however, and, in the winter
following, sold their forge, ores and machinery to Messrs. Binney, Lewis
& Co., of Boston. These gentlemen obtained an act of incorporation
from the legislature, and commenced making wrought iron, but with little
success, and they soon abandoned the business. The forge has fallen into
a heap of ruins. In 1835, another company was formed and incorporated by
the legislature, under the name of the Boston and Troy Iron Co. This firm
purchased three-fourths of the ores, and twenty acres of land on the lot
where the ores were situated, for which they gave $8,000.00, also about
1,200 acres of other land. They commenced operations, built a furnace,
a large boarding-house and other buildings, in 1837. After expending large
sums of money without realizing much profit, the company failed in 1841,
and land, ores and buildings passed by mortgage into the bands of Francis
Fisher, of Boston, Mass. In 1844, Mr. Fisher put the furnace again in blast,
and commenced the manufacture of iron with the prospect of making it a
permanent and profitable business; but these expectations were destroyed
by the alteration of the tariff in 1846, and like many other iron establishments
in the United States, the operations of this furnace were suspended, and
have not since been resumed. There is, however, some prospect of a revival
of the enterprise with satisfactory results.
In 1880, Troy had a population Of 1,522, and in 1882, was divided
into thirteen school districts and contained fourteen common schools, employing
five male and fourteen female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary
Of $1,842.00. There were 390, pupils attending common school, while the
entire cost of the schools for the year ending October 31st, was $1.982.25,
with J. N. Walker, superintendent.
North Troy is a pleasant post village located in the northern part
of the town, on the Missisquoi river, and also a station on the Southeastern
railway. It has three churches, (Congregational, Baptist and Episcopal,)
one academy, one newspaper office, one hotel, three general stores, one
wholesale store, two clothing stores, two groceries, two furniture stores,
two millinery stores, the usual complement of livery stables, tin, blacksmith,
barber and other mechanic shops, and about 800 inhabitants. Its professional
men are five lawyers, four physicians, and one dentist. Its manufactories
consist of grist-mill, excelsior mill, wool carding-mill, foundry and machine-shop,
and the extensive lumber mills of J.W.Currier. The village has a beautiful
location, surrounded by well cultivated and finely kept farms. It was incorporated
by an act of the legislature approved November 28, 1876. Several fires
have occurred to retard the progress of the place, among which were the
following: April, 1868, fire was discovered in P. Baldwin's store, on Main
street, which, before it could be subdued destroyed the store, hotel, a
grocery, dwelling and two barns. The hotel was rebuilt the same year. A
year later the store opposite the hotel, owned by Clark Hunt, was burned.
Again, March 2, 1882, occurred another disastrous fire. It originated in
the second story of Forsaith’s furniture store, the building being the
property of H. B. Parkhurst. The flames spread rapidly and soon enveloped
the store and dwelling of Mr. Parkhurst, G. W. Seaver & Son's store,
and Mr. Parkhurst's livery barn and sheds. Much of the contents of the
buildings were saved, but the buildings themselves were all consumed, entailing
a loss of a number of thousands of dollars. While this fire extended over
less territory than that of 1868, it was much more destructive. Mr.
Parkhurst has since erected a fine three-story building, with a Mansard
roof and basement, containing two fine stores and his dwelling.
Troy, usually designated as South Troy, is another handsome post
village, located in the southern part of the town, just west of the river.
It has three churches, (Baptist, Congregational and Methodist,) one hotel,
grammar school, two steam mills, two general stores, a boot and shoe store,
two drug stores, a grocery store, hardware store, millinery, blacksmith,
shoe shop, etc., and is all in all an enterprising village.
Phelps Falls is a hamlet located on the river about two miles north
of Troy village.
F.S. Forsaith commenced the furniture business at North Troy in
February, 1878, locating on Railroad street. For the first year and a half
he conducted the business without help, then moved into Parkhurst's building,
where the increase of business demanded the help of two persons. Here he
remained until the fire of March, 1882. During the summer following he
erected the large, commodious store he now occupies, which is elegantly
up in ash, maple and walnut, with all modern conveniences, being one of
the handsomest furniture stores in the state. He has a large stock, employs
three hands and his business is continually increasing.
The North Troy grist-mill, Orrison P. Hadlock, proprietor, is furnished
with all the modern improvements in machinery, and is supplied with four
runs of stones and five water-wheels, giving the mill the capacity for
grinding 300 bushels of grain per day. Mr. Hadlock does custom work and
deals in flour of all grades, meal, provender, etc.
The North Troy Excelsior Manafactory, engaged in the manufacture
of excelsior for filling mattresses, furniture etc., was established by
E.Hapgood & Sons, of Lowell, Mass., in 1880. It turns out ten tons
of excelsior per week, giving employment to six men.
C.P. Stevens & Co.’s lumber, clapboard, shingle, and packing
box manufactory, located at Phelps Falls, was established in October, 1870.
The firm now manufactures here 3,000,000 feet of lumber, 200,000 shingles,
and about $15,000.00 worth of packing-boxes per year. The firm also has
mills in Richford, Newport, and Potton, P. Q. aggregating a business of
about $250,000.00 per year.
George S. Porter's saw-mill, located on Jay branch, was built by
John Dubois, about twelve years ago, and bought by the present proprietor
in 1880, who manufactures 500,000 feet of lumber and a large amount of
shingles per year.
George W. Aikin's steam saw-mill, located at Troy village, was built
in 1860. It turns out 200,000 feet of lumber, which is manufactured into
box shooks at the mills, 1,500,000 feet of clapboards, and 1,000,000 shingles
per annum, giving employment to from twenty-five to thirty men.
The North Troy saw and planing-mills, J.W. Currier, prop., at North
Troy, are supplied with modern improved machinery, and under the charge
of J.R.B. Hunt do an extensive business in sawing and planing lumber each
The Eastman Machine Co., also does a prosperous business at North
Troy, in all kinds of machine work, iron founding, and also deals in iron,
steel and coal, employing a number of hands.
Darius T. Johnson's starch factory, located on Jay branch, manufactures
about 15,000 bushels of potatoes into starch each year.
The Missisquoi Valley Academy, at North Troy, a two story building,
has been much improved during the last winter by the substitution of modern
desks and seats in place of the old dilapidated ones which had so long
been a disgrace to the school, and also by other repairs.
The lands of Troy, as, indeed, were most others of this part of
the State, were granted to speculators. They were gotten by the proprietors
with no expectation on their part of effecting a settlement thereon, but
simply, as we said as a speculation.
Their hopes of speedy fortune accruing therefrom, however, were,
in most cases disappointed, while vendues for takes, sales, levies of executions,
etc., caused titles to become exceedingly insecure thus disparaging the
efforts of honest settlers who desired to reclaim the wilderness land and
make for themselves and their posterity a home. The north gore of Troy
was sold by Mr. Avery to a Mr. Atkinson, an English merchant, of Boston.
It is said that Avery received $ 1.00 per acre for his lands; if so, he
doubtless made a handsome profit, but how Atkinson fared in the trade may
be inferred from the fact that these lauds commonly sold for $2.00 per
acre, and that after sustaining the expense of agencies and innumerable
land taxes for more than half. a century. A few of these lots remain unsold,
and are still in the hands of heirs and descendants.
Kelley sold his grant to Franklin & Robinson, a firm in New
York. They failed, and the grant passed into the hands of a Mr. Hawxhurst,
of New York. His speculations proved about as successful as Atkinson's,
and, until lately at least, a few of the lots yet remain in the family.
The military road made by Col. Hazen during the Revolutionary war,
from Peacham to Hazen's Notch, in Lowell, had a tendency to extend the
knowledge of this section, and create an interest in the fertile meadows
of Troy and Potton. Josiah Elkins, of Peacham, a noted hunter and Indian
trader, in company with Lieut. Lyford, early explored the northern part
o the county. Their route was to follow Hazen's road to the head of Black
river, and thence to Lake Memphremagog, here they hunted for furs, and
traded with the St. Francis Indians, who then frequented the shores of
that lake. In 1796 or '97, a party of several men from Peacham, of whom
Capt. Moses Elkins, a brother of Josiah Elkins, was one, came up and explored
the country. They were so much pleased with what they saw that they agreed
to come hither and settle, but none of them except Capt. Elkins had the
hardihood to carry this resolution into effect. He started from Peacham
June 7, 1797, with his furniture in a cart drawn by a yoke of oxen and
a yoke of bulls, and one cow driven by his son Mark, a boy nine years old,
and two hired men. He located just north of Troy, in Potton, P.Q.
Mrs. Elkins followed them some days after, riding on horseback with a child
three years old, attended by a hired man.
In the autumn of 1798, Josiah Elkins moved his brother, Curtis Elkins
into Potton who located about half a mile north of the State line. In February,
1799, Josiah joined his brother, moving into the same house with him. In
the mean time a Mr. Morrill had located upon a lot and built
a house about half a mile east of the present village of North Troy. And
during the winter or spring of 1799, James Rines and Mr. Bartlett settled
about a mile south of the village, on the meadows below the great falls.
Mr. Hoyt also came in and settled about half a mile north of the village
site, and Eleazer Porter settled near the Canada line. These families were
soon after joined by others from Peacham and that vicinity.
About the year 1800, Josiah Elkins, moved from his farm in Potton
and located at what is now North Troy, and soon after commenced the erection
of a grist and saw-mill. He carried on his mills here for many years, becoming
a large land owner, and held most of the town offices. Mr. Elkins was born
at Peacham in 1766, married Miss Anna Sawyer, of Haverhill N. H., and reared
a family of twelve children, five of whom are now living, three in this
town, as follows: Jonathan, aged seventy-four years, Sally P. (widow Whittier),
and Ruth (Mrs. T. J. Sartwell). Curtis Elkins, son of Josiah, is
represented here by two sons, Curtis and William G., the latter a wholesale
dealer at North Troy. The sons of Jonathan are Col. O. N. Elkins, postmaster
and an enterprising business man at Noth Troy, and Oscar Elkins, a veterinary
surgeon of the same place.
Mr. Sumner says in his “History of the Missisquoi Valley:”
The town of Troy, or as it then was Missisquoi, was organized in March,
1802. According to the town record the inhabitants were warned to meet
on March 25, 1802 at nine o'clock in the forenoon, to organize the town
and choose the necessary town officers. The record also shows that they
met agreeable to the warning, chose a moderator, and then voted to adjourn
until the next day, at ten o'clock in the forenoon. No reason appears
on record for this adjournment, and we can scarce suppose the affairs of
the infant settlement were so intricate as to require a nights reflection
before they could proceed to act, or that the number of their worthies
was so great that they could not make a selection of officers for the town.
But it appears that they did adjourn, and tradition has it that they were
as drunk as lords, and could not proceed any further in the business of
the meeting. It appears however, by the records of the town, that the good
citizens, did meet the next day, agreeable to adjournment, and chose the
usual batch of town officers, including a tything man, and voted
£6 of lawful money to be expended on roads, and $10.00 to defray
the expenses of the town for the year. From that time the town of Troy
has had a regular corporate existence, notwithstanding it came so near,
in its first town meeting, being strangled in its birth."
Curtis Elkins was the first town clerk, and Alpheus Moore the first
representative, who was also the first justice chosen to the latter position
in 1801. In 1807, the town had thirty tax payers, and in 1810, the
population amounted to 281 souls, which has since increased to 1,522.
Eleazer Porter's was the third family to settle in the town. He
came on from Lyme, N.H., in 1789, with his wife and three children, locating
on road 1, near the Canada line. The last twenty miles of his journey was
through a dense forest, and for a long time he had to go to Brownington
to mill, a distance of nineteen miles. Mr. Porter reared a large family
of sixteen children here. Benjamin Porter, his oldest son, born at
Lyme, N.H., September 1, 1797, still resides here, a hale, hearty old gentleman
of eighty-six years. He married Lydia Abbott, October 3, 1819, who is also
living, aged eighty-three years. This aged pair have been blessed with
six children, three of whom now reside here, viz.: Catharine (Mrs. John
Wheeler), Esther (widow of David Heath), and Emily (Mrs. C. B. Purinton).
John W. Currier, son of John W. and Mary (Elkins) Currier, was born
in this town April 5, 1835. His mother died when he was eight years of
age, and his father then sold his little farm and removed with his large
family to Massachusetts. From this time forward young Currier supported
himself by his own exertions, forming while yet a child those habits of
industry, energy and self-reliance, that have enabled him to achieve so
much success in life and for which he has always been justly noted. In
1854, Mr. Currier became one of the Springfield City Guard, of Massachusetts,
and when the first notes of alarm were sounded from Fort Sumter, he hastened
home from Pennsylvania, where he then was, to join his old camrades in
the 10th Mass. Vols. He was subsequently transferred to the 1st Eastern
Virginia Brigade, as 1st Lieut. and Adjt., from which he resigned and was
mustered out after the battle of Williamsburgh, receiving the appointment
of trade agent, army of the Potomac. After the movement of the army from
the Rapidan, under Gen. Grant, and the day of the battle of Cold Harbor,
he was appointed by the Provost-marshal-general to “furnish the officers'
clothing and equipments for the army of the Potomac.” His headquarters
were established at City Point, where he remained until the surrender of
Lee. Two years later Mr. Currier married Eveline Chamberlain, of Newbury,
Vt., and now has one son. He came back to Troy, bought the farm upon which
he was born, and built a residence over the cellar. Since then he has been
extensively engaged in the manufacture of lumber, and in farming. Politically
Mr. Currier is a Democrat, and has been twice elected to the legislature
of the State by a large majority, and was the Democratic candidate for
congress, third district, in 1840.
Simon Courser, born in Thetford, Vt., came to Troy about 1800, and
located where Ambrose Gregg now resides. He remained here a few years,
then removed to New York, and finally to Canada, where he died in 1832.
His son Hiram, born here, died in 1879, aged seventy-two years. Truman
W., son of Hiram, now resides on road 14.
Charles Whitcomb's was the thirteenth family to locate in the town.
He came from New York with an ox team, being obliged to cut a road a portion
of the distance, with the snow three feet deep. He died here in 1860, aged
eighty-two years. Joel, born on the farm he now occupies, has reared a
family of eleven children, seven of whom are now living.
John Phelps came to Troy, from Derby, and located at the falls which
still bear his name, in 1816. He rebuilt the saw, grist, and wool carding-mill
that had been erected here, and died in 1831, aged sixty-two years. He
married a Mrs. Robinson, of Montpelier, and had two children, Curtis and
Lucy. Lucy married Nathaniel Chamberlin, who was killed by the bursting
of a cannon, at St. Johnsbury, in 1830. Subsequently she married Joshua
Smith, who died in 1868, and now resides at the Falls.
Frederick Fuller, born in Vershire, Vt., came to Troy about 1811,
and located where Mr. Purinton now resides. He commenced a clearing,
but soon after enlisted in the American army and was wounded at Fort Erie,
unfitting him for service. Previous to this he had taken part in the battle
of Lundy's Lane. After the close of the war he returned to his farm and
lived thereon for many years, then sold it and removed to the farm now
owned by his son, Adna, on road 23, and died there December 26, 1870, aged
eighty-four years. His wife, Mary Fuller, died in 1862, aged sixty-five
years. They had five children, Orinda, Adna, Dana, Frederick J., and Harriet
A., only one of whom, Dana, resides here.
John Hamilton was born at Bath, N.H., and came to Troy with his
father, Peltiah, in 1820. They settled on the, farm where John now lives
with his son-in-law, H.A. Johnson. Mr. Hamilton has been engaged
in farming, the manufacture of starch and brick, and is now a hale old
man of seventy-five years, tipping the scales at 200 pounds.
Michael Kennedy, born at Waterford, Ireland, in 1799, came to America
in 1817 and in 1822, came to Troy and located on road 28, upon the farm
now occupied by his widow and their son, C. C. Kennedy, where he died.
February 27, 1880.
Erastus West, from Bath, N.H., came to Troy in 1827, and located
upon the farm he now occupies. Mrs. West, whose maiden name was Maria Marsh,
was born in Canada. While she was yet an infant the war of 1812 broke out.
Her father, not being loyal to the British cause, had to flee to the States.
Some time during the winter following, Mrs. Marsh took her children, and
with two spirited horses crossed the St. Lawrence on the ice, at night.
Mr. Marsh and others were on the shore to meet them, enveloped in sheets
so that their dark clothing, with its contrast to the snow, would not discover
them to the British.
William Buggy who now resides at North Troy, was born in this town
in 1837. About three years ago he started for California, and was stopped
at Jackson, Mich., by the memorable railroad accident that occurred at
that place October 10, 1880, when twenty-seven passengers were killed and
twenty-nine wounded. Mr. Buggy was one of the latter. His injuries consisted
of four compound fractures of the right leg, dislocation of the right hip,
with the bone splintered three inches, three broken ribs, the right wrist
broken, and a deep gash about three and a half inches in length in one
of his thighs. Notwithstanding all these injuries, strange to say, he survived.
For all his suffering and consequent disability, the railroad company allowed
Madison Stebbins, born in Westfield, came to Phelps Falls in the
spring of 1841. In company with Curtis Phelps he purchased the water-power,
mills and forge, and 300 acres of land. In 1847, they divided the property,
Stebbins taking the saw mill, with the privilege of manufacturing all kinds
of lumber, while Mr. Phelps took the woolen-mill with the privilege of
running two sets of machinery for manufacturing cloth. He conducted the
business until 1871, when he sold out to C. P. Stevens & Co.
Owen Donagan, a native of Ireland, came to America in 1833, and
settled in Troy in 1850, where he remained until his death, March 2, 1882,
aged nearly sixty-six years. He had a family of five children, all of whom
are now living.
Moses Clough came to Troy, from Albany, Vt., in 1851, locating at
North Troy, where died in 1854. Mrs. Clough still resides here, aged
seventy-one years. Seven of their eight children are living, one having
lost his life in the late war.
Nathaniel Hammond came from Peacham at an early date and located
about half a mile north of Troy, in Canada, where he reared a large family.
His son, Simpson B., settled in Troy about 1845, and died here October
24, 1881, aged sixty years. Nathaniel came to live with him in 1846, and
died about 1849. Minerva, widow of Simpson, resides in North Troy.
Luke Aiken was born in Wentworth, N. H., April 23, 1800, and in
1845, was elected register of deeds for Grafton county, removing to Haverhill,
the county seat. He held this office four years, and, in 1851, came to
Troy, residing here until his death, in 1874. Here he has held most of
the town offices. Two sons, G.W. and J.B., now reside here, the only surviving
members of the family.
David Johnson was an early settler in Jay, and died in Westfield
in 1879. One of his sons, Hiram A., came to Troy in 1857, and now resides
on road 15. Another son, Darius T., came here in 1869, and now resides
on road 14.
John Wheeler, born at Dorset,Vt., has taught school about thirty
years. He taught the reform school at Chicago,Ill., two and one-half years,
was assistant superintendent of that institution one year, and also taught
at Lansing,Mich. He is now running a farm on road 15.
During the war of 1812, though there was a great deal of danger
anticipated, none ever came. A fort was erected for the protection of the
inhabitants in case of an invasion by the enemy. This fort consisted of
a rude palisade, constructed of logs about a foot in diameter and twelve
or fifteen feet in height, placed perpendicularly, one end being inserted
in a deep trench dug into the earth. The ruins of the structure remained
for twenty years. When the late war came upon us, Troy did her full share
and stood not a whit behind her neighbors in patriotism and courage.
The Congregational church, located at North Troy, was organized
by its first pastor, Rev. Luther Leland, with twelve members in 1818. The
present neat wood structure, capable of seating 250 persons, was built
in 1862, and is valued at $3,500.00. The society has seventy-five members,
with Rev.JosephN.Walker, pastor.
The Baptist church of Troy, located at Troy village, was organized
by Rev. Levi Parsons, in 1818. In 1842, the society was reorganized
by its first resident pastor, Rev. N. H.Downs. The church building was
erected in 1842, and is now mostly used by the Seventh Day Adventists,
as the Baptist society has no regular pastor and does not meet regularly.
The Baptist church of North Troy is under the charge of Rev. G. H. Parker,
who resides in Jay.
The Methodist church of Troy, located at North Troy, was organized
as one of the Westfield circuit charges, February 22, 1831, Rev.A.C. Smith
being the first resident pastor. The church building was erected in 1879-'80,
at a cost of $1,475.00, and is now valued, including grounds, at $1,800.00.
The society has about sixty members, under the charge of Rev.G.W. Goodell,
The Congregational church of Troy village was organized in 1845,
a division of the church at North Troy. The church building was erected
in 1863, capable of seating 185 persons and valued at $2,200.00. The society
has about twenty members, with Rev. Joseph N. Walker, of North Troy, pastor.
St. Augustine Protestant Episcopal church of North Troy.— Mission
services were first held here about two years ago, by Rev. Mr. Putnam of
St. Johnsbury, Vt., who held services occasionally until Rev.B.W. Atwell,
of St. Marks' parish of Newport, who has officiated monthly since he came
here. During the past winter, 1882-'83, a very neat little church building
has been erected, at a cost of about $1500.00
The Seventh Day Advents, are quite numerous and have several ordained
ministers, though they have no organized society.
of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 288-48 to 288-57)
was provided by Tom Dunn.
–1884 Troy Business Directory
North Troy Village Business Directory