Search billions of records on





"The town of Fairhaven originally embraced the town of Westhaven, and was chartered at Manchester October 27, 1779, by the General Assembly of the State. It is situated in the western part of Rutland county and bounded on the north by Benson; on the east by Castleton and a part of Poultney; south by Poultney River (separating it from Hampton, N. Y.), and west by Westhaven. The surface is generally hilly, the hills rising only in one instance to the dignity of mountains, viz., Mount Hamilton, just northward from Fairhaven village. To the northward of this eminence is the "Great Ledge," reaching the Benson line.  To the eastward of Mount Hamilton and along the east border of the town is Scotch Hill, so named from the number of Scotch people who settled there. Along the west part of the town extend the great slate deposits, which have given the locality a national renown and a source of wealth practically beyond computation. (See Chapter XIII.)

      The numerous picturesque valleys which lie between the hills of the town and along the streams embrace lands of great productiveness, with soil of varied character. The principal streams are the Castleton and Poultney Rivers. The former enters the town from the east, south of its center, and flows westward to the Poultney River. The latter, as stated, forms the southwestern boundary of the town. Numerous small streams coming down from the hills and reaching the larger ones, drain the entire town. Inman Pond, situated about three miles north of Fairhaven village, is on the top of a hill, covers an area of about eighty acres and is fed entirely by springs; from this the village receives its water supply.

      The grant of Fairhaven was made in consideration of the sum of £6,930, and signed by Governor CHITTENDEN. Of the large number of original grantees only Colonel Matthew LYON, Oliver CLEVELAND, Philip PRIEST, Israel TROWBRIDGE, Derrick CARRIER and Eleazer DUDLEY, became settlers here.

      The first meeting of the proprietors to organize under their charter was held at the house of Nehemiah HOIT, Castleton Corners, June 14, 1780. Colonel Ebenezer ALLEN was moderator, and Isaac CLARK, proprietors' clerk; here it was voted to make a division of one hundred acres to each proprietor's right, with five acres for highways, and Lieutenant Elisha CLARK, Oliver CLEVELAND and Asa DUDLEY were chosen to lay out the first division lots. Captain John GRANT was chosen proprietors' treasurer. It was voted that the 21st of August, 1780, be the day to begin to survey the pitches. At other meetings in 1780 and 1781, three other divisions were voted, the first of one hundred acres; the second of sixty-three acres, and the third of fifty acres. At a meeting in April, 1782, Beriah MITCHELL and Oliver CLEVELAND were appointed a committee to warn land-owners when to work on highways. The main high way from Castleton line to Mr. DUDLEY's camp, a point somewhere not far westward of the present division line between Fairhaven and Westhaven, was surveyed October 8, 1782, via "Muddy Brook," Philip PRIEST's house, and the house of Joseph HASKINS. In November, 1782, Philip PRIEST and Curtis KELSEY were appointed overseers of highway work, and the laying out of other roads continued as the needs of the settlers demanded.

      The town was organized at the house of Mr. PRIEST, August 28, 1783, with Mr. PRIEST moderator, and Eleazer DUDLEY, town clerk. The selectmen chosen were Philip PRIEST, John MEACHAM and Heman BARLOW; Michael MERRITT, constable. No other officers were chosen until the spring of 1784, when the following were elected on March 22: Eleazer DUDLEY, town clerk; Eleazer DUDLEY, Thomas DICKSON and Oliver CLEVELAND, selectmen; Daniel MUNGER, grand juryman; Philip PRIEST and Beriah MITCHELL, listers; Beriah MITCHELL, constable; Michael MERRITT, treasurer; Ichabod MITCHELL, John MEACHAM and Philip PRIEST, surveyors; Philip PRIEST, Michael MERRITT and Eleazer DUDLEY, trustees to take care of the school right and the right for the support of the ministry. The school lot was sold, according to a vote, in September, to Eleazer DUDLEY for £75.

      The warning for the March meeting of 1792 called it for the purpose of choosing town officers and "to see if they will agree to petition the Legislature of this State to divide this town into two, and to see if they can agree upon a dividing line." James WITHERELL and Lemuel HYDE were appointed agents to petition the Legislature for the said division. The questions of making the division at Mud Brook and at Hubbardton River were both voted against; but the proposed division as it was finally made received forty-eight votes in favor and seven against. The minority made considerable opposition to the proposed division, holding that the town was too small for such a division, and that the western land was the most valuable, etc.; but the division was made by act of Assembly passed the 18th and signed the 20th of October, 1792, at Rutland, The two towns had but one representative and held their freemen's meetings together until 1823, when the town of Fairhaven was granted her separate rights in this respect.

      Up to the date of the division, settlement of the town had gone forward with gratifying rapidity, and improvement of farms, roads and bridges and the general prosperity of the settlers had progressed in encouraging ratio.

      The first settler of prominence was Oliver CLEVELAND, who had established a settlement here before the town was incorporated in 1779. Although held to be a resident of Fairhaven, he first settled in 1777 on the New York side of Poultney River, then supposed to be a part of Vermont. He came from Killingworth, Conn.; a few years after his arrival he came on to the tract of land embracing the present farms of Charles P. GREEN and Chauncey WOOD. At his death in September, 1803, the farm was divided among his three sons, Josiah, Albert and James. Notwithstanding his absolute illiteracy, Oliver CLEVELAND was a leading man in the early days of Fairhaven, and served as selectman nearly every year between 1784 and 1803. None of his descendants live in Fairhaven now, though some are living in Chicago and other parts of the West.

      John MEACHAM came to Fairhaven very soon after the arrival of Oliver CLEVELAND, and resided north of his farm, on the well-known KIDDER place, now occupied by Mr. WOOD. He had ten children, but no descendants of any of them now live in town. Joseph BALLARD came about the same time and lived north of Meacham. He has no descendants here now. Besides these settlements, which seem to have been the first in the south part of the town, there were others farther down the Poultney River, some of which may have been older still. For instance, at the point were the "Hessian Road " crossed the river, Jonathan LYNDE, who, it has been suggested in Mr. Adams's history, may have been one of a company of Dutch people that came from the Bennington or the Albany neighborhood at the time of the Revolutionary War, had improved a place.

      It is probable that Benoni HURLBURT, Joseph CARVER, Jonathan HALL and John VAN DOZER settled before the town was chartered, on the fall of Poultney River, now known as Carver's Falls. There were undoubtedly other settlements made along certain portions of Poultney River at this period, though the more prominent characters in the organization of the township came about the beginning of the year 1780 or soon after.

      Michael MERRITT, in August, 1780, came from. Killingworth, Conn., to the farm on the old disused road, in the west part of the present town, now owned by Heman STANNARD, of Hampton, N. Y., being the same farm whereon Jonathan LYNDE had begun improvements. He was chosen first constable at the organization, and afterwards served as town clerk, treasurer, selectman, and in other public offices. He died here August 18, 1815, aged seventy-seven years, leaving, eleven children, none of whom, or their descendants, survive in Fairhaven. Philip PRIEST, brother-in-law to Mr. MERRITT, having married his sister, came with him, and built his log house on the farm now owned and occupied by Hiram HAMILTON. He kept tavern here for a number of years. He died in Chateaugay, N. Y., about 1816. He was a prominent man in town affairs.

      Israel TROBRIDGE and Jeremiah DURAND came about this time from Derby, Conn., and located near the west line of Castleton. In the summer of 1780, too, came Curtis KELSEY, sr., from Woodbury, Conn., purchasing the proprietary right in Fairhaven of Josiah GRANT, of Poultney. He was one of the wealthiest of the early settlers. His farm included the tract now owned and occupied by Elbridge ESTEY. He died in March, 1827, aged eighty-seven years. In 1788 Silas SAFFORD and his brother-in-law, Ager HAWLEY, arrived from Arlington,Vt., and made the first settlement on the site of the village. He owned the farm where Myron BARNES now lives, and kept tavern there some of the time. He was elected the first justice of the peace of the town, and remained in the office for forty years. He had thirteen children, Alonzo being the ninth. Alonzo SAFFORD was interested for some years after 1829 in the paper-mill. He lived on the site of the present residence of R. E. LLOYD. He died in Michigan a few years ago. Silas SAFFORD died May 12, 1832, aged seventy-four years. While in the village he occupied the house which now forms the rear part of Henry Green's dwelling-house.

      The most prominent of all the early residents of Fairhaven, Colonel Matthew LYON, came here from Arlington, Vt., in 1783, after having purchased tracts of land including nearly all the present village. While yet resident in Arlington he proposed to Mr. SAFFORD to give him eighty acres of land as a premium to go to Fairhaven with his family and board the men who might be employed in building his proposed mills. With Ager HAWLEY, a millwright, he agreed to build a grist-mill in co-partnership, HAWLEY to have one-third of the mill. SAFFORD and HAWLEY accordingly came to Fairhaven. HAWLEY then built the first grist-mill, either this season or the following spring, on the south side of the lower falls, a little below the present site of the Marble and Marbleized Slate Company's mills. About the same time the bridge over the river and the saw mill on the north side were built. 

      In 1784 Colonel LYON's house is said to have stood near the north end of the bridge under the hill. But subsequently, about 1785, he built and for a number of years occupied a tavern on the hill where the Park View House now stands, and later still he lived on the site of the Knight block. He was really the "father of the town," having, even before his removal from ARLINGTON, caused the erection of the first saw and grist-mills; and in the summer of 1785 commencing the building of the forge and iron works, and a short time afterwards of the paper-mill. Colonel LYON was prominent beyond the boundaries of his own community. Although nicknamed "The Knight of the Wooden Sword," for alleged cowardice while holding a lieutenant's commission in a company of soldiers stationed at Jericho in 1776, under the command of Captain FASSETT, he denied the justice of the charge, and attained political eminence in the State and nation. He was representative from Arlington from 1779 to 1782, and while in the General Assembly, in October, 1779, he became one of the original grantees in the charter for Fairhaven. In 1786 he was one of the assistant judges of the Rutland County Court, and in 1788, 1790 and 1791, selectman. After being repeatedly defeated, he succeeded, in 1796, in securing the election to Congress, and took his seat in November, 1797. He was a bitter opponent of the Federalist administration, and in 1798 was arrested, tried and convicted under the "alien and sedition" law, and sentenced to four months imprisonment and a fine of $1,000, with the costs of the prosecution. He passed his imprisonment at Vergennes. Before his term had expired he was re-elected to Congress, and prevented the re-arrest with which he was threatened by immediately proclaiming himself on his way to Congress. He soon afterward removed to Kentucky. He died near Little Rock, Ark., August t, 1822. Some of his descendants were recently residents of Eddyville, Ky. (See Chapter XV.)

      Joel HAMILTON came from Brookfield, Mass., in 1783. During a part of the time he lived in the town he resided where his nephew, Hiram HAMILTON, still lives, and died there June 5, 1826. He was constable from 1785 to 1793, and was also for a number of years deputy sheriff of Rutland county. He has no direct descendants in town.

      Samuel STANNARD lived at first toward the lake in Westhaven, but soon after made his home on the farm afterwards occupied by his son Heman, and now owned by his grandson, Heman STANNARD, of Hampton, N. Y., and where Mr. COOK lives. He died April 8, 1815, in his sixty-seventh year. He was a prominent man among the early settlers, and was frequently chosen on the board of selectmen. Timothy GOODRICH, from Woodbury, Conn., in 1784 settled on the farm now owned by Heman STANNARD. He died February 17, 1829, in his seventy-third year. His brother, Chauncey, lived and died on the farm now owned and occupied by O. P. RANNEY. He died in his sixty-ninth year, September 20, 1856. Daniel and Ashael MUNGER, who also came in 1783, settled on the intervale through which the well-known "Munger Road " now runs. The houses are now all gone. Joseph SNOW occupied a house on the west side of the road, nearly opposite the residence of Daniel MUNGER. Daniel MUNGER was deacon of the church, and probably superintended the building of the old edifice about 1791. After his death his son, Ashael, succeeded him as deacon. He died February 10, 1805, in his eightieth year.

      Lieutenant Charles MCARTHUR, of Nobletown, N. Y., purchased, in July, 1783, two hundred and sixty acres of land on the hill in the northeastern part of the town, now known, from MCARTHUR's national origin, as Scotch Hill, where he erected the first framed house in town. He died on the 8th of October, 1815, in his seventy-fourth year.

      Eli EVERTS and Ambrose, his brother, came to town some time in 1783, the former locating on the place now owned and occupied by Rufus HAMILTON. He was called "captain " by his contemporaries. He was selectman in 1793.

      Richard BEDDOW, an Englishman and a deserter from the army of Burgoyne, settled about this period near John MEACHAM, on the farm now occupied by Isaac WOOD and Mrs. A. KIDDER. He was a blacksmith and nailer, and manufactured nails with John MEACHAM in a shop on his farm.

      In the fall of 1783, after the civil government of the town was organized, Moses HOLMES came to town from Lenox, Mass., and settled on a thirty acre tract of land on Poultney River and next north of John MEACHAM, but a year later moved to the extreme south part of the town. David PUNDERSON, who was one of the listers in 1785, resided on the upper side of the road beyond Mr. EVERTS. In the early part of 1785 Charles RICE came here from Brookfield, Mass., and settled on the west street, but afterwards removed to West haven where he kept a public house, with the sign:

"Nothing on this side, and nothing on t'other;
Nothing in the house, nor in the stable either."

      He removed to Canada before the War of 1812. 

      Isaac CUTLER, one of the most prominent of the early settlers, came also from Brookfield in the spring of this year. He lived on the farm now owned by Hamilton WESCOTT, and occupied by Brooks ROBERTS. He kept a popular tavern there for a number of years. In 1798, it is supposed, he came to the village to live with his brother- in-law, Nathaniel DICKINSON, who kept the village tavern. Later still he lived on the site of Owen OWEN's present residence. He died in Westhaven, in November, 1832, aged eighty-six years, after a five years' residence there. He had been a Revolutionary soldier, and was for years a justice of the peace in Fairhaven. 

      Stephen ROGERS came in 1785 from Branford, Conn. He was an intimate friend of Colonel LYON. He was followed, soon after his arrival here, by his younger brothers, Ambrose, Beriah and Jared. Stephen, with the aid of Colonel LYON, started the first tannery in town, under the hill on the west side of the common. He built a house on the site now covered by the dwelling of Simeon ALLEN. He went west in 1801.

      Gamaliel LEONARD came in 1785 from Pittsfield, Mass., to Greenfield, N. Y., staying on Hampton Hills, and while there in 1786 bought land on Poultney River in Fairhaven. In the spring of 1786 he erected the second saw-mill in town on the site now covered by the saw-mill of Edward BRISTOL, having previously built his house near the falls. In 1788, in company with Elias STEVENS and Daniel ARNOLD, of Hampton, he built a forge at the west end of the mill. An ancestor of his, James LEONARD, erected the first forge in the country, on the banks of the Taunton River. Gamaliel LEONARD was a Revolutionary soldier. In 1811 he was one of the selectmen. A grandson, Howard LEONARD, and great-grandson, are now living over the State line on the road to Whitehall. 

      In the summer of 1786 Charles HAWKINS, sr., came from Smithfield, R. I., and located north of the junction of Muddy Brook with Poultney River on the road that has since fallen into disuse. He was a blacksmith in Rhode Island. He died on March 31, 1810, in his seventy-fifth year. Mrs. Harris WHIPPLE now living in town is his granddaughter. He has other descendants in Detroit and other portions of the West. David ERWIN, otherwise "colonel," and otherwise "general," came from New Jersey as early as 1786. He was a man of decided ability, and acted as foreman in the slitting-mill here for some years. Ethan WHIPPLE from North Providence, R. I., grandfather of Harris WHIPPLE and C. C. WHIPPLE, still living here, came this year. He had taken an active part in the Revolution. He was a carpenter by trade, and built the house where John ALLARD now resides. He was one of the selectmen from 1782 to 1796, and in 1802, 1803 and 1805. He was town treasurer from 1793 to 1813, and town clerk from 1809 to 1813, thus taking a leading part in town government. Among the arrivals of 1787, were Dr. Stephen HALL, of Connecticut, on the west street, the first physician owning land in town, and Timothy BRAINARD, of East Hartford, Conn., on the farm lying next south of Oliver CLEVELAND's, between the Poultney west line and Poultney River.

      In the spring of 1788 Major Tilly GILBERT came from Brookfield, Mass., in company with Gideon TAFFT, who resided here a while and then removed to Whitehall. Major GILBERT, then quite a young man, put up for a time at the tavern of Silas SAFFORD, on the site of Henry GREEN's residence, and was employed by Colonel LYON to teach school, probably in the school-house on the common. From about 1781 to 1799 he was a resident of Benson and Orwell, but returned to Fairhaven in the latter year and opened a store, dispensing drugs and medicines as well as more common merchandise. His house was on the site of the present Knight block. He owned a half interest in the lower saw-mill, with his brother, Eliel, until November, 1802, when he bought out his brother. In 1806 he purchased the saw-mill on the upper falls, and retained the former until 1813, the latter until 1822. He built the house which his son, Benjamin F. GILBERT, still occupies, in 1814. He removed to Westhaven in about 1832, where he died September 5, 1850, at the age of seventy-nine years. 

      Isaiah INMAN came from Massachusetts in the fall of 1788 with his family and lived for a time with his brother-in-law, Charles HAWKINS, sr. Inman Pond,near which he located, derived its name from him. Thomas, or "Doctor" DIBBLE, came from Nobletown, N. Y., about this time, and settled near the the Castleton line.

      In 1789 Dr. James WITHERELL, an eminent physician, came from Mansfield, Mass., via Hampton; his residence while here was on land now owned by Hamilton WESCOTT. He succeeded to the practice of Dr. Stephen HALL, and was for more than twenty years an influential citizen here, being several times a representative in the State Assembly, judge of the County Court and once a Member of Congress. He removed to Detroit, Mich., about 1810, where he became one of the United States judges of the Territory. He has descendants there now who hold a prominent place in society. Judge WITHERELL bore a prominent part in the Revolutionary War, and at Detroit in the War of 1812. He died in Detroit, January 9, 1838, in his seventy-ninth year.

      Other arrivals about this period were Frederick HILL, Jabez NEWLAND, Beriah ROGERS, Charles BOYLE, Olney HAWKINS, William BUELL and Nathaniel DICKINSON. Abijah WARREN, from Litchfield, Conn., a son-in-law of Daniel MUNGER, came at least as early as 1790. He lived latterly in the grist-mill house.

      John BROWN, who kept the town records from 1793 to 1801, as town clerk, was a beautiful penman. He came here from Rhode Island in 1792, and resided for a time on the piece of ground now occupied by Mr. CAMPBELL (son of James CAMPBELL); subsequently he kept the tavern in the village a number of years. He died at St. Albans, on the 16th of March, 1805, aged thirty- nine years.

      Shubel BULLOCK, a carpenter and joiner, came to Fairhaven about 1798, and built his house southwest of the Cedar Swamp. After several years he removed to the farm next south of the DURAND Place. He had a numerous and respectable family.

      Lewis D. MARANVILLE, of Poultney, who subsequently married a daughter of Oliver CLEVELAND, bought a tract of fifty-four acres from William BUCKLAND, in July, 1799. The lot lies just east of where Richard BEDDOW then resided. Here Mr. MARANVILLE resided until the time of his death in 18¢9. His son, Lewis D. MARANVILLE, is still a resident of this town.

      A prominent settler reached here in 1799 in the person of Joseph SHELDON, of Dorset, who thereafter settled a parcel of land lying on and around "Beaver Meadow." His son, Joseph, came here in 1798. H. R. and Leander SHELDON, are descendants from them.

      Ethiel PERKINS, a Revolutionary soldier who participated in the battle of Bunker Hill, left Derby, Conn., for Vermont, about 1795, and in 1799 settled on Scotch Hill. He married Esther FOX. He died in February, 1826. Laura PERKINS, Maryette, who married Romeo PROCTOR, and Sarah D., who married Richard LEWIS, and now residing in Fairhaven; Rev. James G. Perkins, of West Rutland, and Polly Ann, who married Nathan AGER, from Keene, N. H., and now residing in Castleton, are all great-grandchildren of Ethiel PERKINS.

      There were many other settlers here, of more or less prominence, but the foregoing names embrace most of those who were conspicuous in the earliest settlement of the town. Situated as the town was, so near the battle-field of the Revolutionary War, the building up of the prosperity at present indicated by the increasing population, and the noisy but auspicious bum of industry, did not, in reality, begin until the later years of the preceding century. The fathers and grandfathers of the prominent men whose interests are identified with those of Fairhaven today, were many of them men who forsook their fields and shops and hearth-stones in the almost impervious wilderness, and engaged for years in the defense of a country which had yet to prove the splendor of her destiny. Among the Revolutionary soldiers who afterwards lived in Fairhaven were the following: Jacob BARNES, Solomon CLEVELAND, Isaac CUTLER, Jonathan CADY, Jeremiah DURAND, Alexander DONAHUE, Jabez HAWKINS, Benjamin HICKOK, Benjamin HASKINS, Colonel Matthew LYON, Gamaliel LEONARD, Ethiel PERKINS, Silas SAFFORD, Ethan WHIPPLE, sen., and James WITHERELL.

      It is thus seen that in comparison with other towns Fairhaven furnished her full share of men for the wars which have interrupted at times the peaceful progress of the country. She furnished many and valiant men in the War of 1812, and in the last war sent out men as follows: 

      Volunteers for three years credited previous to call for 300,000 volunteers of October 17th, 1863. -- Adolphus BOONVILLE, co. C, 7th regt.; Jeremiah CALLAGAN, co. C, 11th regt.; George A. CANTINE, co. C, 7th regt.; Henry DAVIS, Samuel DOWLING, co. H, cav.; Edward GILBERT, Moses F. LEE, co. C, I 11th regt.; Eli LEFEVRE, co. C, 7th regt.; Joseph LESCARBEAU, John H. MACOMBER, co. C, 11th regt.; George W. MANCHESTER, co. F, 1 st s. s ; Asa F. MATHER, co. C, 11th regt.; Emmett MATHER, co. H, cav.; Henry C. NICHOLS, co. F, 1st s. s.; David A. PATCH, co. K, 2d regt.; David PELKEY, Lewis PELKEY, co. C; 11th regt.; Joseph PELKEY, Co. C, 7th regt.; John POCKET, co. C, 11th regt.; Oscar C. PROCTOR, William H. PROCTOR, co. E, 2d s. s.; Michael RILEY, Emons H. SHURTLIFF, co. C, 7th regt.; Josephus SHELDON, co. B, 2d regt.; Albert SMITH, co. C, 11th regt.; Griffith WILLIAMS, co. B, 2d regt.; Myron WOOD, co. C, 11th regt.; Zebedee WOOD, co. D, 7th regt.; Moses YOUNG, co. C, 11th regt.

      Credits under call of October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers, and subsequent calls. Volunteers for three years. -- Peter BRO, co. C, 11th regt.; Theodore CHASE, co. H, cav.; Michael DEMPSEY, jr., co. I, 17th regt.; Joseph DICKLOW, Mederick DICKLOW, Paul DICKLOW, co. C, 11th regt.; James DUGGAN, co. B, 9th regt.; Patrick FAY, George FORGET, Joseph GALLIPO, co. C, 11th regt.; Michael HOGAN, co. D, cav.; Walter S. HANKS, Co. I, 17th regt.; William C. HAWKINS, co. C, 11th regt.; Edward T. HOOKER, co. A, 8th regt.; Robert HUNTER, 11th regt.; Eugene KELLY, co. F, 1st s. s.; Joseph H. MONROE, co. K, 11th regt.; Charles PELKEY, John PLUMTREE, co. I, 7th regt.; Henry PRESTON, co. C, 11th regt.; Thomas RUDD, co. B, 9th regt.; Charles W. STEWART, 54th Mass.; Adrian T. WOODWARD, co. I, 17th regt.

      Volunteers for one year. -- Robert BROWN, 54th Mass.; George D. CALVERT, Nathan S. CAPEN, co. C, 11th regt.; Cyrus DOLBY, 54th Mass.; Nelson GRANGER, co. C, 7th regt.; Henry HUMMERSTON, co. C, 11th regt.; George HUNTER, 54th Mass.; Burr B. MANCHESTER, 11th regt.; James MURPHY, co. B, 7th regt.; Mansel A. ORMSBEE, 5th regt; Moses PARRET, co. C, 7th regt.; Charles W. SAGER, co. L, 11th regt.

      Volunteers re-enlisted. -- Adolphus BONVILLE, Eli LEFEVRE, John LEFEVRE, Joseph PELKEY, Michael RILEY, Co. C, 7th regt.

      Enrolled men who furnished substitutes. -- Charles CLARK, W. B. ESTY, Benjamin S. NICHOLS.

      Naval Credits. -- Hiram KILBURNE, Granville C. WILLEY.

      Miscellaneous. -- Not credited by name, three men.

      Volunteers for nine months. -- Julius H. BOSWORTH, James B. CROWLEY, Cornelius CROWLEY, Vincent C. DEWEY, Patrick FAY, Michael GRADY, Joel W. HAMILTON, William H. HAMILTON, Charles HARRISON, John HUMPHREY, Patrick HUMPHREY, Benjamin E. LEE, Richard LEWIS, Andrew MARNES, David MCBRIDE, English L. MAYNARD, Patrick O'BRIEN, Charles PERKINS, John F. PERKINS, James RAFFERTY, Daniel REARDON, William S. ROBERTS, John ROWLAND, Dallas M. WARE, Hiram E. WHITLOCK, John H. WILLIAMS, William E. WILLIAMS, Leman WOOD, co. F, 14th regt.

      Furnished under draft. Paid commutation, James DONNELLY, John W. EDDY, Edgar S. ELLIS, Robert W. JONES, Rollin M. KIDDER, Wesley LEE, Oliver K. RANNEY, John RYAN, Wesley SHURTLIFF, Edward J. STANNARD, Abram S. TABER, John J. WILLIAMS. Entered service, Samuel HUNTER, 54th Mass.

      The present officers of the town of Fairhaven, elected in March, 1885, are as follows: Town clerk, E. D. HUMPHREY; selectmen, O. A. PECK, P. MALEY, Robert MORRIS; treasurer, E. H. PHELPS; overseer of the poor, W. KETCHUM ; constable, William A. SMITH; listers, Seth THOMPSON, R. K. HAMILTON, N. S. WOOD; auditors, A. N. ADAMS, I. W. PARKHURST, S. D. WILLIAMS; trustee of public moneys, C. C. KNIGHT; fence viewers, John RUTLEDGE, Rev. J. GOW, W. BIXBY; town grand jurors, N. R. REED, A. N. ADAMS; inspector of leather, Thomas HUGHES; pound-keeper, W. L. TOWN; inspector of wood and shingles, S. THOMPSON.

      The general growth of Fairhaven, with occasional declines from accidental causes, is shown by the following extract from the census table: 1791, 375; 1800, 411; 1810, 645; 1820, 714; 1830, 675; 1840, 633; 1850, 902; 1860, 1,378; 1870, 2,208; 1880, 2,212.


      Public worship was held for twenty years after the organization of the town under town auspices, and without any distinct sectarian organization. In the year 1791 Colonel Matthew LYON, and Deacon Daniel MUNGER built the "Lord's Barn," so called, being the same building recently used by Dan Orme as barn. The first minister mentioned is Rev. Mr. FARLEY, a young man from Poultney, who came here about 1803. During the early part of 1805 Rev. Joseph MILLS preached on alternate Sundays in Fairhaven and Westhaven. On the 15th of November, 1803, the first church organization was effected, called the "Church of Chirst," in Fairhaven and Westhaven. During the last part of 1805 and the first part of 1806, Rev. Silas HIGLEY acted as pastor.

      The first Congregational Society was organized on the 2d day of January, 1806, with a membership of fifteen. The first meeting, held in the schoolhouse, was presided over by Asher HUGGINS, of Westhaven, moderator; Joel HAMILTON was the first clerk; Curtis KELSEY, treasurer; Oren KELSEY, collector; Timothy BRAINARD, Paul SCOTT and Calvin MUNGER, committee; while Tilly GILBERT, Silas SAFFORD, and Roger PERKINS were chosen committee to unite with the church committee in giving a call. Rev. Silas HIGLEY, although given a call, did not remain, and his successor, Rev. Rufus CUSHMAN, was ordained and installed February 12, 1807. In January, 1811, Joel HAMILTON began to draw stone for a new church edifice, which was raised on the tenth of May following, on the present site, and was dedicated June 18, 1812. In 1837 or '38 a new pulpit replaced the old one, and in 1840 the old spire, which had become insecure, was taken down, and the steeple furnished with turrets. In 1851 the whole building was remodeled to its present shape. Among the pastors who have served since Mr. CUSHMAN's death in February, 1829, have been Rev. Amos DRURY, 1829-1837; Rev. F. C. WOODWORTH, 1840-1841; Philo CANFIELD, 1842-1844; Rev. Mr. HINE; Rev. J. B. SHAW, 1846-1850; Rev. S. L. HERRICK, stated supply, 1852-1855; Rev. Edward W. HOOKER, D. D., 1856-1862; Rev. R. L. HERBERT, of the Welsh Chapel, until 1869, and others. 

      The first parsonage was purchased in the fall of 1838. The present parsonage was finished in October, 1880, about $2,000 having been expended upon it. The house of worship has also been extensively repaired and improved, and it is now in connection with the parsonage valued at $10,000. The present pastor, Rev. R. C. FLAGG, came January 1st, 1880. The church membership now numbers about 100, while the meeting-house has a capacity of about 250 persons. S. L. ALLEN is the present Sabbath-school superintendent. The average attendance at the school is about eighty. The present church deacons are, Otis EDDY, E. L. ALLEN and Marcus DEWEY.

      The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1825 by Rev. Albert CHAPIN, although there had been occasional preaching by ministers of this persuasion for more than a quarter of a century preceding. Rev. Lorenzo DOW preached at the house of Stephen HOLT as early as 1796, and had among his congregation members of the BALLARD and HOLT families, and afterwards Beriah ROGERS. In 1827 Fairhaven and Castleton formed part of the same circuit, and were visited by Revs. Mr. HAZELTON, Joseph AYERS, C. R. WILKINS, and Mr. Stewart FAIRHAVEN was afterwards connected with East Whitehall, and was supplied about 1838 by Rev. Albert CHAMPLAIN. He was followed by Rev. Joel SQUIRES for about two years. Rev. Mr. COOPER, assisted by Rev. Jesse T. Peck, D. D., and others from the seminary at Poultney, was supplying, when the subscription, to build the first edifice, was raised in 1842. Among the pastors sent here by the Troy Conference are the following reverend gentlemen: Mr. GRAVES, Matthias LUDLUM, Godfrey SAXE, J. E. BOWEN, Thomas PIERSON, John HASSEMAN, David OSGOOD, Mr. GRIFFITH, H. FORD, P. H. SMITH, John THOMPSON, Hannibal H. SMITH, A. VIELE, R. FOX, and Delmer R. LOWELL. The present pastor, Rev. M. B. MEAD, came here on the 1st of May, 1885. The present church edifice was erected in 1877 (the old one having been destroyed by fire), at a cost of $15,000, and will easily seat 500 persons. The estimated value of the church property is now about $15,000. The church membership is about 160. The present officers are as follows: Stewards (and trustees), W. KETCHUM, W. L. TOWN, E. F. FIELDS, R. W. SUTLIFF, C. GARDNER, B. LAPE, M. D., T. HUGHES, E. R. BRISTOL, W. R. ESTY, A. DOWD, H. FARR, R. E. Lee, R. ROWELL; class leaders, I. H. ALLARD, Charles CLINE, F. TOWN, J. ALLARD, D. S. DAVIS; local deacon, R. HANGER; local preacher, J. GREEN; exhorter, E. C. LEE; Sabbath-school superintendent, Frank TOWN. The average attendance at Sabbath-school is 125.

      The Welsh Protestant Society, of Fairhaven was organized in the summer of 1851 by Rev. Evan GRIFFITHS, of Utica, and Rev. Thomas R. JONES, of Rome, N. Y. Rev. Griffith JONES was the first pastor. The first regular meetings were held in the school-house. In 1857 the society erected their brick house of worship, on the east side of Main street, at an expense of about $3,500. The second pastor, Rev. R. L. HERBERT, of Utica, remained here a number of years. The present pastor is Rev. John W. WILLIAM.

      The Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Society was formed in 1859 by a portion of the last above named society, and at once erected a, small edifice across the street from the house of worship used by the Welsh Protestants. Their first pastor was Rev. Daniel T. ROWLAND. Other pastors have been Rev. John JONES, Rev. E. W. BROWN, and Rev. Robert T. GRIFFITHS. The present pastor is Rev. J. M. HUGHES. The church edifice was considerably enlarged and improved in 1885.

      St. Mary's Church (Roman Catholic) was organized in 1856 by Rev. Zephurin DRUON, of Rutland, who erected the first house of worship here. At the time of its organization this church had 100 members. The church was attended from Rutland by the Rev. Fathers DRUON and LYNCH, until December, 1866, when Rev. J. C. O'DWYER was settled as the first resident pastor. The present pastor, Rev. P. J. O'CARROLL, came in 1872. His assistant, Rev. A. J. GLYNN, came in 1880. The present church edifice was completed in 1873, at a cost of $35,000. The estimated value of the church property, including the old French Church, which was built in 1869 and afterwards transferred to this church, is about $45,000. About 200 families attend here. The churches at Poultney, West Castleton, Castleton, and Middletown are attended from this church.

      The Baptist Church was organized on the 14th of December, 1867. Most of the first members were from the church at Hydeville. The first deacons were Alonson ALLEN and I. N. CHURCHILL. The first meetings were held in the chapel over Mr. ADAMS's store, and after that for some time in the Town Hall. Rev. P. F. JONES was the first pastor. The corner-stone of the first and present house of worship was laid during the pastorate of Rev. D. SPENCER, June 2, 1870. The building was completed in 1873 at a total cost of about $24,000, and will now accommodate 475 persons. The estimated value of the church property at present is $25,000. The church membership is about 120. The average attendance at Sabbath-school is eighty-four, the pastor acting as superintendent. The pastor, until about January 1, 1885, was Rev. John R. GOW, who came in July, 1882, as successor to Rev. A. C. FERGUSON. The present church officers are: Ira C. ALLEN, clerk; B. F. GILBERT, jr., assistant clerk; I. N. CHURCHILL, J. S. MOON, Isaac HARLOW, H. W. FARMER, deacons.


      The account of the early industries of Fairhaven has been reserved for the present caption, because the business has always centered in and about the site of the present village. Varied manufacturing industries of nearly a hundred years ago were built under the influence of the same inducements which cause the prosperity and continuance of the mills of the present day. In most town histories it is found that a saw-mill was the first evidence of man's approaching dominion over the undirected forces of nature, and Fairhaven furnishes no exception to this general rule. The first saw-mill in this town was erected by Colonel Matthew LYON in 1783, on the north side of the lower falls. Between the time of its erection and 1813 it was owned and operated successively by Asa SMITH and Heman HOFFMAN, Colonel LYON and Dr. Simeon SMITH, Colonel LYON and Solomon CLEVELAND, Colonel LYON and Pliny ADAMS, Pliny ADAMS and Eliel GILBERT, Eliel GILBERT and Stephen ROGERS, Eliel and Tilly GILBERT, Tilly GILBERT, Salmon NORTON and Isaac CUTLER, Tilly GILBERT, Jacob DAVEY. The property then passed through various hands, and in 1850 was deeded by H. & H. HOWARD to Cullen W. HAWKINS, the grantors reserving water from the flume for a bark and hide-mill, and pump and rolling-mill which they erected on the north side of the adjoining grist-mill. About 1860 George O. KILBOURN built the brick building next above it for a woolen factory. In 1863 it was occupied by E. S. EELLS and Joseph DELAHAUNTY, for weaving soldiers' jackets, and shortly afterwards by Edward L. ALLEN, for the manufacture of oil safes. It is now used as a shirt factory. (See present business interests). The second saw-mill was built by Gamaliel LEONARD on the falls near the line between Vermont and New York States, in 1785. After being operated by different owners with varying degrees of success it was acquired in May, 1842, by David H. BRISTOL, who built the present wood-turning shop and dwelling-house, now owned by Edwin R. BRISTOL. Edwin R, BRISTOL put in the circular saw in 1878, and now carries on a very considerable business. Another early saw-mill was erected in 1797 by Stephen HOLT for Moses SCOTT, of Waterford, N. Y., and James LYON, of Fairhaven. It stood on the upper falls, above the old iron works, hereafter mentioned, and was a very large mill, calculated to do an extensive business. It was carried away by the great freshet of 1811, and was succeeded by a new one which Major Tilly GILBERT at once erected. This building was destroyed by fire in 1833, while owned and operated by Jacob DAVEY, and was never rebuilt. Another mill was erected in 1814 by Joseph SHELDON, near the outlet of Beaver Meadow, which did a large business for many years. Two small mills were built in 1817, one by Eliab BRIGGS for Olney HAWKINS and Nathaniel SANFORD, at the outlet of Inman Pond, which was operated until nearly the middle of the century, and the other by Benjamin, Elias and Matthew HICKOCK and Dr. Ebenezer HURD, near Little Pond; very little came of it. The first grist-mill was built by Colonel LYON and Ager HAWLEY, on the south side of the river below the old paper-mill, about 1783. It was probably superseded by the grist-mill north of the saw-mill first mentioned, and which is the ancestor of the present grist-mill of the Hazard Slate Company.

      The one industry, however, which for a series of years wrought the greatest benefit to the village and town of Fairhaven, was the iron manufactory of Colonel Matthew LYON, which stood on the upper falls. Colonel LYON built the dam to turn the water in July, 1785, and undoubtedly built the works in the same season. In October, 1785, he petitioned the State Legislature to lay a duty of two pence per pound on nails coming into the State, that he might build his works and supply the State. From the importance which this interest attained here the town was long afterwards known familiarly as "Lyon's Works." LYON operated them until 1800 and then sold them to Edward DOUSE, of Dedham, Mass. Jacob DAVEY, interested in so many other affairs of manufacturing importance, owned these works from 1807 to 1843, rebuilding them twice, after a fire in 1813, and another in March, 1843. Alonson ALLEN operated them under a lease for five years preceding the last fire. They are not now in operation.

      The old Fairhaven paper-mill was built by Colonel LYON, as early as 1790, and was owned and operated by the "Colonel" and his son, James (a part of the time), until 1799, when Josiah NORTON, of Castleton, purchased it, with thirty-two acres of land on both sides of the river, for $1,500. This mill was burned in March, 1806, the site sold by the owner, Alexander DONAHUE, to John HERRING, Moses COLTON and Joel BEAMAN, who rebuilt the mill. It was burned again on the 31st of January, 1831, having been used in addition to its former purposes, as a store and whiskey distillery, and was at once rebuilt. The business after that never amounted to much, although carried on a part of the time by men of good business qualities, and a few years ago was finally abandoned. It is now occupied by the Fairhaven Marble and Marbleizing Company as a slate-mill.

      Several tanneries were operated on the site of the present village in the period of its early growth, which undoubtedly contributed not a little to the prominence of the place in the county. The second sale of land made by Colonel LYON, within the present village, was to Stephen ROGERS, in May, 1792, of seven acres of land on the bank of the river, west of the common. The deed contained a reservation by LYON of the sole right to keep a tavern or house of entertainment, store, shop for the sale of merchandise or imported spirits, for fifteen years ; thus evincing a disposition to monopolize the benefits arising from these interests himself. The tannery which Stephen ROGERS built stood under the hill west of his house, and was operated after 1801 by Calvin MUNGER and others, including Harvey CHURCH. It failed for the last time in about 1834, while operated by Isaac PATCH and Theophilus T. PARMENTER, of Brandon. Beriah ROGERS, brother of Stephen, also ran a tannery in the place for a number of years.

      In 1808 John and Joshua QUINTON and Thomas CHRISTIE erected a building with a trip-hammer and anvil, for the manufacture of scythes, and used at a later date in making axes and hoes, on or near the site until recently occupied by the Union Slate works, and near the old tannery of Beriali ROGERS. In its a earlier days considerable business was done there, but it finally fell into disuse, was afterwards, about 1839, used for a bark-mill and tannery, and by Wellington KETCHUM was converted into the Union Slate Works.

      In the same year, 1808, Jacob DAVEY, Seth PERSONS and Horatio FOSTER, the two latter being respectively residents of Sudbury and Hubbardton, erected a building on land north of the river and west of the iron works, in which they carried on for years the business of fulling, coloring and dressing cloth, and made considerable money at times, the price of fulling and finishing cloth it is said, being fifty cents per yard during the War of 1812.

      A further industry, which occupied the attention of some of the most prominent men at a somewhat later period, viz., the distilling of whisky, is thus mentioned in the excellent History of Fairhaven by A. N. ADAMS:

     "The business of distilling spirituous liquor in the form of whisky, from rye and corn, was extensively carried on in this town in former years. The almost universal of use whisky made it an article of merchandise in great demand, and no store of goods was complete without it.

     "The difficulty and expense of transportation so far as Troy, then the principal market for grains, rendered the grain products of the country of little worth at home, and unless there could be a market and sale for them the. farmer had no means of purchasing the goods which the merchant might import. Accordingly distilleries or 'stills' were established and their existence was an evidence of enterprise and business in a town."

      Erwin SAFFORD, an early merchant here, erected a distillery near CHURCH's tannery, on the side hill, in 1818, to the rear of the old parsonage, and carried on the business for several years. In July, 1819, he sold his store, on the east side of the common, and distillery to James T. WATSON. Moses COLTON and H. H. CRANE owned it after February, 1821, and also one built by Mr. CRANE and Elisha PARKHILL in 1820, on the west street beyond the burying-ground. In February, 1823, the firm of COLTON, WARREN & SPROAT, proprietors of the paper-mill, bought the SAFFORD still and made whisky here in large quantities for several years. They also erected and operated, in 1825, a distillery on land lying next east and north of the SAFFORD property. They failed in July, 1827, the SAFFORD distillery having burned in 1824, and been rebuilt.

      In addition to its prominence as a manufacturing center, early Fairhaven had also a wide reputation for its taverns and stores. Colonel LYON's tavern, which he built on the site of the Park View House about 1785 or ‘86, was well known throughout this part of the State. He himself officiated as host for a number of years until he moved into his private residence on the site of Knight's block, and rented the tavern to Nathaniel DICKINSON, who kept it until about 1798, and probably in 1799, 1801, 1802 and 1803, while John BROWN kept it in 1800. It was afterwards kept by Royal DENNIS, Thomas WILMOT, John BEAMAN, Mrs. Thomas WILMOT, Spencer WARD. In 1838 Mrs. WILMOT sold the tavern to her agent, John D. STANNARD, who kept it until about 1850. Since that time it was never kept open for any great length of time. Another early tavern, known as the old Dennis tavern, was opened by Royal DENNIS in 1809, and stood on the site of MEAD's drug store and the Allen National Bank building, John BEAMAN, Joseph BROWN, James GREENOUGH and others kept this house at various, times. It was practically closed when Mrs. Lucy WILMOT bought it in 1829.

      Prominent among the early merchants were Colonel Matthew LYON, William HENNESSY and Seth PERSONS. Lyon's store stood in the rear of the site of the residence (in 1870) of Thomas HUGHES, and was built no later than 1791. The building was used for mercantile purposes through the first quarter of the present century.

      The HENNESSEY store, built about 1794, stood six or seven rods north of LYON's dwelling-house, and was closed in the first half dozen years of the century. The store of Seth PERSONS was erected on the lot purchased in December, 1808, by Seth PERSONS of Major Tilly GILBERT, and which included the site of the present First National Bank building. It was converted into a dwelling- house in 1812, by Mrs. Anna WELLS. In 1815 or 1816 Dr. Israel PUTNAM built a new store on Mrs. Wells's land which did good mercantile service for years.


      "The village of Fairhaven was first laid out and established December 21, 1820, under a general law of the State, by Isaac CUTLER, John P. COLBURN and Harvey CHURCH, selectmen of the town at the time, as follows: 

     'Whereas application has been made to the undersigned, selectmen of the town of Fairhaven, to lay out and establish a village in said town agreeable to an act passed March, 1817, restraining certain animals from running at large in villages within the State, we do, therefore, lay out and bound a village in said town as follows: Beginning at the southeast corner of Barnabas ELLIS' farm (called the Wadkins place); thence westerly on the south line of said farm, and on the south line of Enos BRISTOL's farm to the southwest corner thereof; thence northerly on said BRISTOL's, and on Tilly GILBERT's west line, till it strikes the road leading from the meeting-house, in said town, to the State of New York, by way of the Rev. Mr. CUSHMAN's; thence in a straight line until it strikes the turnpike at the place where said turnpike and the road leadng from Curtis KELSEY's westwardly, intersects ; thence easterly on the north line of said road until it strikes the highway leading from Fairhaven to Castletleton Mills; thence to the southeast corner of a piece of land recently sold by Curtis KELSEY to John BEAMAN; thence in a straight line to the northwest corner of Hezekiah WHITLOCK's farm; thence southwardly on said WHITLOCK's west line to his southwest corner; thence in a direct line to the bounds begun at.'

     "We do not learn that any other action in reference to a village, than this formal survey, was taken by the citizens of Fairhaven until the fall of 1865, when the Legislature of the State passed a charter or act of incorporation, erecting a tract of one square mile into a corporate village." 

[From A. N. Adams's “History of Fairhaven.”]


      The first officers of the village elected at a meeting held on the 4th of December, 1865, in Adams and Allen's Hall were as follows: Edward L. ALLEN, clerk; Ira C. ALLEN, Israel DAVEY, Joseph JENNINGS, trustees; Joseph ADAMS, treasurer; John G. PITKIN, collector; John W. EDDY, Julius H. BOSWORTH, John J. WILLIAMS, Timothy MILLER, and William C. GREEN, fire wardens.

      Perhaps the most beneficial results of the village organization is the laying of an aqueduct from Inman Pond to the village, thus affording its inhabitants ample and convenient supplies of water. The first action towards the establishment of the works was the appointment in December, 1879, of James POTTLE, George M. FULLER and O. A. PECK, to act as committee to investigate and report the feasibility of bringing water to the village. Upon due investigation Inman Pond was selected as the source of supply and money was borrowed to prosecute the work of laying the pipe. The works cost about $37,147.35, and consist of a main ten-inch pipe, clarifying pipes of from six to eight inches in diameter, according to location. There is a fall of nearly two hundred feet from the pond to the street in front of the Park View House. 

      The present village officers elected on the second Tuesday in April, 1885, are the following: William H. PRESTON, clerk; Robert MORRIS, Lawrence KINSELLA, trustees; 0. A. PECK, J. T. HUGHES, E. H. LEWIS, water commissioners; William A. SMITH, collector of taxes; E. H. PHELPS, treasurer; C. C. KNIGHT, chief engineer; William A. STEPHENS, O. A. PECK, T. H. STREETER, L. E. WOOD, E. L. GOODRICH, fire wardens in the order named.


      The Slate Business. -- This most prominent industry in Fairhaven was begun in a small way by Alonson ALLEN and Caleb B. RANNY, in the fall of 1839, who quarried for a time with a view to the manufacture of school slates.

      James COLMAN is one of the pioneers in the slate business of Vermont. He and Ryland HANGER introduced the marbleizing process here in the spring of 1859, and carried on the business together until the summer of 1862. Before 1859 Mr. Coleman had been for some time in West Castleton, and after the dissolution of the partnership he passed a year in England, and the remainder of the time until 1880 in West Castleton. In 1880 he became associated with Melvin WESCOTT.

      The firm of COLMAN & WESTCOTT now do a considerable business, having one quarry in the village, from which a superior quality of green slate is taken, and one mill, with appurtenant machinery for the finishing of slate. They employ in all about forty men.

      William E. LLOYD, successor to LLOYD, OWENS & Co., has been continuously interested in the quarrying of slate here since 1865, his quarries being situated on the farm of Loomis SPAULDING in Poultney, though the enterprise properly belongs to Fairhaven. He and R. E. LLOYD, in company with Owen OWENS, G. O. WILLIAMS and Owen ELLIS, leased quarries on this farm in the fall of 1865. R. E. LLOYD, in 1872, also, with John E. LLOYD, operated quarries on the same farm, and now owns that interest. He and Robert W. JONES are successors, too, to a company formed in August, 1871, composed of themselves, Hugh D. HUMPHREY and John E. LLOYD. R. E. LLOYD, R. W. HUGHES, and William R. HUGHES are working a quarry about a mile northwest from Hydeville, called the Little Pond quarry. This is a mill stock quarry, while the others last above mentioned produce only roofing slate.

      Simeon ALLEN erected the two mills which he still operates in 1867, and began the manufacture of slate. He works four or five openings in Fairhaven, and employs about twenty-five men in the mills and fifty in the quarries.

      R. C. COLBURN began the manufacture of marbelized slate mantels in 1869, and continued until 1876, when the Stewart Marbleized Slate Mantel Company was organized with T. B. STEWART, president, and R. C. COLBURN, treasurer.

      The Vermont Union Slate Company was established in September, 1871, by the present proprietors, A. R. VAIL and son, M. H. VAIL. They occupy the old foundry erected by Israel DAVEY, and finish and marbleize slate. They have one quarry and employ from fifty to sixty men.

      The business which William P. FOX now does in finishing slate and manufacturing slate mantels was established in 1873 by Thomas FOX, who erected the finishing mill at that time. The present proprietor succeeded him is 1875, and in 1883 erected the rough stock mill opposite the station, which is now leased BY COLMAN & WESCOTT. Mr. FOX keeps busy some twelve or fourteen hands.

      The Riverside Slate Company was incorporated in the spring of 1881, with a capital stock of $6,000. The first president was Andrew PIERCE, and the first secretary and treasurer, Bishop MERRIAM. The mill was built the same year. The quarry, about eighty rods east of the mill, has two beds, and produces green and variegated slate. About thirty men are employed. The present officers of the company are Thomas GREER, president; B. MERRIAM, treasurer; A. H. MERRIAM, secretary.

      The Hazard Slate Company was incorporated August 31, 1882, and purchased their property of N. R. REED, who had operated the grist and saw-mill, still run by this company since 1866. The officers of the company are: W. F. PARKER, president; S. L. HAZARD, treasurer and superintendent of works; S. L. HAZARD, jr., clerk. The capital stock is $80,000. About sixty men are employed. The quarry, which is located on the Scotch Hill vein, produces purple slate. The grist and saw-mill were remodeled at the time the company took possession, and the building now occupied as a shirt-factory was built anew. The buildings are constructed on the most approved plans. The grist-mill has three run of stone.

      The business of sawing marble was here commenced in the fall of 1845 by William C. KITTREDGE, Alonson ALLEN and Joseph ADAMS, under the firm name of Kittredge, Allen & Adams. ALLEN & ADAMS continued the business after October, 1846, until 1852. In the latter year, Ira C. ALLEN entered into partnership with them. From 1854 to 1869, Alonson ALLEN having withdrawn from the firm, the name was Adams & Allen. In the fall of, 1869 Joseph Adams purchased the entire interest, and took in his son, A. N. ADAMS, from whose history we have drawn largely.

      The Valido Marble Company, chartered in 1883, with a capital stock of $300,000, is the legitimate successor to the business thus established BY KITTREDGE, ALLEN & ADAMS. The enterprise probably belongs to Rutland (as the quarries are in West Rutland), and is mentioned in that chapter.

      J.  WARNER began the manufacture of marble and granite monuments, etc., in Fairhaven in September, 1884. For further details of this great and growing industry, see preceeding chapter on the marble and slate deposits of the county, and later biographies of Alonson ALLEN, R. HANGER, and others.


      The manufacture of brick now carried on by E. L. & D. A. ALLEN, was begun in 1855 by Timothy and John MILLER, who were succeeded in 1858 by Otis EDDY & Son. The ALLEN brothers followed in 1871. This firm has made over 800,000 brick in a season, and average about 300,000. The clay from the yard, which is about eighty rods northeast the railroad station, is remarkably free from lime and all other impurities. They now have two kilns in use.

      E. L. ALLEN began to manufacture oil safes in 1863, in an old building near the depot, where the coal house now is. The ALLEN Oil Safe Company, now carrying on the business, consists of D. L. and E. A. ALLEN, and was formed in 1871. The business has been carried on in the present building since 1879, when it was built. For fourteen years before that the shirt factory building was used. The safes will hold from fifty to fifteen hundred gallons of oil, and contain from one compartment to twelve. They are sold throughout the United States and Mexico and lead the market.

      The shirt factory of Miller, Hall & Hartwell (Justus MILLER, William L. HALL,  Charles E. HARTWELL, Frank B. MILLER) was established here in 1883 by Miller & Bingham, of Troy. In November, 1885, the present firm succeeded to the business. About 2,000 dozen shirts are made here per month. The main business is at Troy.

      The firm of Hill & Dedrick (E. R. HILL and F. M. DEDRICK) manufacturers of wagons and carriages, was formed in April, 1885. They employ about ten hands, and are reasonably confident of increasing to a large business.


      The merchant of longest standing now doing business in the place is Thomas HUGHES, who began to deal in boots and shoes here as early as 1856. He erected the building he now occupies in 1880. His son, W. T. HUGHES, began in a small way to sell books, stationery, etc., in 1879, and has now a business of gratifying proportions. 

      R. E. LLOYD established a store here in 1859, and continued alone until 1882, when he associated with himself his present partner, J. T. HUGHES. They carry a stock of from $12,000 to $15,000. 

      Albert B. HARRINGTON commenced the manufacture and sale of harnesses October 8, 1860, in the building which he still occupies.

      PITKIN & Brother, dealers in hardware, tinware, glassware, etc., are successors to a business founded by W. W. PITKIN and F. W. MOSELY, in the spring of 1861. The present partnership was formed in the fall of 1865. Their store was formerly on River street, but they removed to their present location after being burned out in 1878. 

      Dr. Clark SMITH, druggist, commenced in an old building on the same site as the one he now occupies, in 1864, as successor to A. H. STOWE. The present building was erected in 1871. 

      F. H. SHEPARD succeeded Joseph JENNINGS in a grocery and general mercantile trade in 1866.

      The extensive mercantile business of Goodrich & Adams (E. L. GOODRICH and A. N. ADAMS), was established in 1854 by Adams & Allen, who then erected their store building on the site of Colonel LYON's old hotel barn. The firm of Goodrich & Adams was formed in the spring of 1868. 

      O. A. PECK, furniture, sewing machines, picture frames, glass, etc., started in business in Fairhaven in 1869, succeeding a small business headed by S. N. PECK. He is also and has always been undertaker. 

      Thomas MCGUIRE began to trade in general merchandise here in 1869. 

      Wilbur F. PARKER, dealer in jewelry and fancy good, began his trade in Rutland in 1862, removing to Fairhaven in 1871. He occupied his present store building five years. He carries a large and well selected assortment of goods, the largest stock, indeed, in the county outside of Rutland. 

      O. Reed & Son (Roland C. REED) succeeded, in 1883, C. REED, extensive dealer in coal and lumber, who established the trade in April, 1874. In 1880 he erected a large and commodious coal-house near the railroad and so situated that the cars are switched on to the ground floor of the building and their contents dumped into the basement. The coal comes direct from the mines of the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company in Carbondale, Pa. The firm sells about 3,000 tons of coal per annum, and deal quite largely, also, in lime and cement. 

      The grocery trade of M. & P. MALEY was founded by the present proprietors May 1, 1876, on a capital of about two hundred dollars. In 1884 they had an income of about $36,000. 

      The general mercantile business which H. S. HUMPHREY. and I. W. PARKHURST now carry on under the firm style of Humphrey & Parkhurst, was established in 1866 by E. D. HUMPHREY and R. R. WILLIAMS. Their successors, who preceded the present firm, were E. D. Humphrey & Co. They value their stock at from $10,000 to $15,000 according to the season. 

      E. H. LEWIS, dealer in stoves, etc., bought out M. LAMPHERE in 1879. 

      R. O. JONES started his cigar store here in March, 1880. 

      S. D. WILLIAMS commenced trading in boots and shoes in his present building in 1880. His son, E. J. WILLIAMS, became associated with him in 1882. 

      W. H. LLOYD, who carries a stock of dry goods and groceries worth about $7,000, opened his store here in April, 1880, after a course of mercantile experience which fitted him for success. 

      A. L. KELLOGG started his jewelry store here in 1881, having then just returned from the West. He was eight years proprietor of a drug store here after 1867. 

      On the 1st of December, 1881, John H. FOY became successor to E. PRESTON as dealer in harnesses, trunks, bags, etc. PRESTON established the business a few months previously. 

      M. P. MEAD has conducted the drug business in town since February, 1884, having then succeeded George N. HARRIS. Harris followed A. L. KELLOGG, before mentioned. 

      The BURDETT Brothers established their grocery business April 1, 1884. 

      The enterprising firm of clothiers, Bardy, Babbitt & Co., composed of N. R. BARDY, George D. BABBITT and F. M. WILSON (manager), was formed and their business established on the 19th of April, 1884, on the corner of Main and River streets. On the 1st of April, 1885, they removed into their present quarters on the corner of Liberty and Main streets. They carry an average stock of about $15,000. 

      W. V. ROBERTS and David MORRIS, general merchants, entered into partnership in March, 1885, and established their present business at that time. 

      The general store of H. M. REDFIELD was first opened October 8, 1884, by E. W. BAKER. W. W. Dawley & Co., of Rutland, then kept it for a few weeks as auxiliary to their business at the last named place. Mr. REDFIELD succeeded them in May, 1835. 

      O. A. PROCTOR established the grocery trade in 1880, which W. H. PROCTOR has conducted since July 18, 1885. W. L. HOWARD, the present postmaster of Fairhaven, has dealt in books and stationery since he began the performance of official duties, on September 1, 1885. 

      A. W. LANGMAID and F. H. KIMBALL, under the firm name of Langmaid & Co., opened a confectionery store on the 2d day of December, 1885.


      The First National Bank of Fairhaven was organized as the immediate result of a meeting held at the hall of ADAMS & ALLEN on the 20th day of January, 1864, with a capital of $100,000. The first board of directors were Joseph SHELDON, Zenas C. ELLIS, Ira C. ALLEN, Joseph ADAMS, Pitt W. HYDE, Charles CLARK, John BALIS, Benjamin S. NICHOLS, Chauncey S. RUMSEY. The presidents have been as follows: Joseph SHELDON, Joseph ADAMS, Zenas ELLIS (elected in 1878) and the present incumbent, Rodney C. ABELL, who was elected in the fall of 1883. The cashiers have been Merritt CLARK, of Poultney, Samuel W. BAILEY, and the present cashier, elected in 1873, E. H. PHELPS. The present directors are R. C. ABELL, M. MAYNARD, F. A. BARROWS, Cyrus JENNINGS, C. S. RUMSEY, George W. DIKEMAN and A. N. ADAMS. During the twenty-one years of its history this bank has without an omission paid semiannual dividends of never less than four per cent, and reaching sometimes five per cent; the aggregate of these payments being $189,456. The surplus fund is $20,000, and the undivided profits are over $21,000, making the net total profits since organization, $213,993.07.

      The Allen National Bank was organized on the 2d day of April, 1879, with a capital of $50,000. The first directors were Ira C. ALLEN, S. ALLEN, Norman PECK, Owen OWENS M. L. LEE, C. C. KNIGHT and Ellis ROBERTS. The first officers were as follows: Ira C. ALLEN, president; S. ALLEN, vice-president; Charles R. ALLEN, cashier. The present directors are Ira C. ALLEN, S. ALLEN, C. C. KNIGHT, Owen OWENS, Charles R. ALLEN. The deposits in this institution amount to $42,509. The surplus fund is $5,000, and the other undivided profits aggregate $37,055.91.

      Most of the insurance business of the place is done now by W. H. PRESTON, agent for the Continental, Sun, Niagara, and New England companies, and E. D. HUMPHREY, agent for the Northern, Queen and Commercial Union companies.


      Concerning the history of the press in Fairhaven, we cannot do better than quote the following extract from Adams's History of Fairhaven: 

      “After Matthew LYON's time the business of printing and publishing was, not carried on in Fairhaven until the year 1853. At that time, De Witt LEONARD, son of Ira LEONARD, residing near the State line, then a young lad, commenced printing for his own amusement, upon a press of his own construction. He issued several numbers of a small monthly paper called The Banner, in 1854 and '55, using second-hand type procured from the Whitehall Chronicle office. Being encouraged by having several jobs given him, he ordered new type from time to time from the founders, until in a few years he had quite a complete assortment of jobbing type. In 1856 he printed and bound for the author, Edward L. ALLEN, a ‘Slater's Guide’, a table for the computation of roofing slate. This was the first book printed in town subsequent to Matthew LYON's time. One number of a small sheet called the Golden Sheaf was issued in January, 1861. Business had increased so much that in November, 1861, he purchased a Gordon press, the first power press ever brought into the town. Being engaged in bookselling, he issued a small quarterly or monthly sheet, as an advertising medium, in 185657.

      "In September, 1863, the first number of the Fairhaven Advertiser was issued as an advertising medium for the merchants and business men of the town. It was circulated gratuitously, and other numbers were issued from time to time, as the demands of advertisers required, until Wm. Q. BROWN purchased the office, when it was made a regular monthly publication. Its circulation was 1,000 copies.

      "Among various other works emanating from this office was a Quarterly Journal, containing from thirty-two to thirty-six octavo pages, published by Ripley Female College, commenced in February, 1865, and continued until February, 1886, when Mr. LEONARD sold his press to MCLEAN and ROBBINS, of Rutland, and the type and other material lay unused until the July following, when Wm. Q. BROWN purchased it and removed it to his dwelling-house on Washington street, and adding a new Gordon press, continued the job printing business and made the Rutland County Advertiser a regular monthly paper. Mr. BROWN, wishing to remove from the town, sold his office back to De Witt LEONARD in April, 1968, who conducted it three months, until July 1, when he sold it to Messrs. JONES and GROSE. Through the efforts of the gentlemen last named a weekly paper, styled the People's Journal, was started. A number of the leading business men in town assisted them in purchasing a new Taylor cylinder press and an outfit of type and material for the newspaper. The first regular issue of this paper was dated September 5, 1868. Its editor was Rev. P. Franklin JONES, who was also pastor of the Fairhaven Baptist Church, and H. Seward GROSE, Mr. Jones's son-in-law, was publisher. A part of the second story of Norman PECK's dwelling and the second story of his new building, adjoining the drug store, were occupied as the printing office. After being connected with the paper a few months, Mr. JONES retired from the editorial chair, and Mr. GROSE became editor as well as publisher.

      "In the summer of 1869, payments not being promptly made, the office fell into the hands of the citizens who had assisted them, by whom it was sold in, July, 1869, to De Witt LEONARD and E. H. PHELPS, who continued the publication of the paper under the firm name of Leonard & Phelps, the name of the paper having been changed to The Fairhaven Journal, E. H. PHELPS, editor. This paper is still being published by these gentlemen, and has obtained a good circulation in Rutland and Addison counties and the neighboring towns in New York State."

      The Fairhaven Weekly Era, ably edited by John METCALF, has had but a brief existence, but promises much for the future.


      For biographical notices of deceased attorneys and physicians the reader is referred to Chapters XVI and XVII.

      The oldest living attorney in Fairhaven is Hon. Cyrenius M. WILLARD, who was born in Pawlet, Vt., on the 13th of September, 1820. He studied law with G. W. HARMON, of Pawlet, and was admitted to practice on the 19th of September, 1841. He practiced in Fairhaven from May, 1842, until 1854, when he accepted a position as cashier of the Castleton National Bank, and repaired to that village. He was a member of the State Senate in 1856-57, from 1864 to 1872 practiced law in Castleton. From 1872 to 1874 he resided in Boston, and from then until 1884 lived part of the time in Pittsford. He resumed his practice in Fairhaven in July, 1884. For the ten years preceding 1872 he was judge of probate for the Fairhaven district.

      George M. Fuller was born in Pittsfield, Vt., on the 10th of August, 1842, worked on a farm during his boyhood days, attending the common schools and the academy at West Randolph, Vt., began the study of law in the office of the Hon. C. H. JOYCE on the 7th of April, 1867, remained there until September 4, 1867, when he entered the law department of the University at Albany, graduated in May, 1868, and was admitted to the bar at Albany on the 18th day of May, 1868. He then returned to Rutland and again resumed his studies in the office of Hon. C. H. Joyce. At the September term of the Rutland County Court in 1868, he was admitted to the Rutland county bar. On the 2d day of October, 1868, he came to Fairhaven and entered the law office of H. G. WOOD; here he remained in Mr. WOOD's employ until the spring of 1872, when he formed a co-partnership with Mr. WOOD, which continued until the next October, at which time Mr. WOOD removed from the State and Mr. FULLER succeeded him in the law business, was elected State attorney in September, 1876, and held the office for two years; was elected a member of the General Assembly in 1878, was chairman of the committee on rules and also a member of the judiciary committee of the House of Representatives.

      W. H. Preston was born in Fairhaven on the 29th of March, 1860. He studied law with George M. FULLER and was admitted to practice in March, 1883.  He has always practiced in Fairhaven.


      Dr. T. E. WAKEFIELD was born on the 15th of March, 1821, at Manchester, Vt. He studied medicine with Dr. Charles BACCHUS, of Fairhaven, and was admitted to practice in 1843. He has in reality practiced medicine here since 1842. Dr. C. H. CARPENTER was born July 23, 1832, in Whiting, Addison county, Vt. He studied medicine with Professor PERKINS, of the Castleton Medical College, and was graduated from the Burlington Medical College in 1862, and from the medical department of the University of New York in the winter of 1874-75.  He commenced practicing in Fairhaven in 1862. Dr. W. H. MOREHOUSE was born in Brandon, Vt., July 29, 1845. He studied medicine with Dr. O. C. DYER, of Brandon, and Dr. T. E. WAKEFIELD, of Fairhaven, and in 1877 was graduated from the medical department of the University of Vermont. He came at once to Fairhaven. Dr. R. LAPE was born November 1, 1854, at Sand Lake, Rensselaer county, N. Y. He studied medicine with Dr. William H. Nichols, of West Sand Lake, and was graduated from Albany Medical College in 1877. After a few months practice with Dr. NICHOLS he came to Fairhaven in 1877.

      Dr. A. S. MURRAY was born in Orwell, Vt., July 5, t8¢9. After taking a practical course of study with Dr. SPARK, of Burlington, he attended the Hahnemann Medical College in Chicago, from which he graduated in the spring of 1882. Previous to that, however, he attended lectures for two years at the university in Burlington. He began to practice in Fairhaven in the spring of 1882. He is of the homeopathic school.

      Dr. E. G. ROBERTS was born in Carnarvon, North Wales, on the 25th of August, 1850. He studied medicine in Belfast College of the Royal University of Ireland and then practiced for eight years in Wales. In the spring of 1884 he was graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, and came immediately to Fairhaven to practice.


      Dr. Clark SMITH, who has been mentioned as a druggist of long standing, has practiced dentistry in Fairhaven since t857.

      O. H. MOREHOUSE was born on the 9th of June, 1844 in Brandon, Vt., studied dentistry with Dr. F. PIERCE, of Brandon ; practiced a year in Rutland and removed to Fairhaven in 1873.

      G. L. GUTTERSON was born on the 12th of November, 1851, in Andover, Vt. He was graduated from the Boston Dental College in the spring of 1883, and came at that time to Fairhaven.


      Although Fairhaven boasts now of but one prominent hotel, it has in earlier days been well supplied with these conveniences. Some mention has already been made of the earliest taverns, but the Vermont Hotel deserves in this place a brief sketch. It stood on the site of the Knight block and was in part constructed from the old dwelling-house of Colonel Matthew LYON, which was the first building erected on this site, and which constituted the rear extension of the Vermont Hotel. S. FISH bought the lot and the old building which stood thereon, of Israel DAVEY on the 1st of April, 1858, and erected the three-story brick building, which he denominated the Vermont Hotel. In March, 1866, David OFFENSEND succeeded Mr. FISH, and from 1868 to 1870, David MCBRIDE kept it. In April, 1870, Charles C. KNIGHT, who had already purchased it, entered into possession, and he continued the owner until the disastrous fire on the night of November 8, 1878. This fire originated in a boot and shoe store kept by B. MERRIAM, and caused a loss of about $30,000, though the property was well insured. Mr. KNIGHT thereupon erected the present commodious block which bears his name.

      The Park View House was erected in the summer of 1882 at a cost of about $22,000, by the Fairhaven Hotel Company, a stock company composed at that time of the following gentlemen : Ira C. ALLEN, A. N, ADAMS, Charles R. ALLEN, C. C. KNIGHT, Simeon ALLEN, I. W. PARKHURST, E. L. GOODRICH, N. R. REED, R. E. LLOYD, M. H. VAIL, James COULMAN, M. MAYNARD, W. F. PARKER, O. A. PECK, John ;D. WOOD, PITKIN & Brother, W. H. STREETER, W. H. REYNOLDS, H. S. HUMPHREY, Mrs. Hugh G. HUGHES, E. L. ALLEN, E. D. JONES, all but the last two of whom still retain their interest in the concern. The first landlord, for not quite a year, was Vincent C. MEYERHOFFER, now proprietor of the Killington House on the summit of Killington Peak. Russell W. HYDE followed him one year. The present landlords, RUTLEDGE Brothers (John E. and David J.) came March 17, 1884, from Brandon, where they had been keeping the Douglas House. The house is well built of brick, heated by steam, and is calculated for the pleasure and convenience of guests. There are sixty sleeping apartments.

      A hotel called the Adams House stood on the site now covered by the Park View House, before the latter was built, but had not been opened to the public for a number of years.

      The Fairmount Trotting Park, situated a little to the south of the village, on Prospect street, was constructed in 1874, and is now the property of Edward LEONARD. The Western Vermont Agricultural Society have held two fairs on this ground, with remarkable success, and have erected suitable buildings thereon. The capital stock of the society is $2,000.


      This building, which has served the purpose at once of a graded school and a town hall, was erected by the town in the latter part of 1861, and dedicated in March, 1861. The town meetings are no longer held in it. The present principal of the school is Professor George B. WAKEMAN, who came in the spring of 1885. There are seven departments well graded in the school, and an attendance at times of more than five hundred pupils.

History of Rutland County Vermont with Illustrations and
Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
Edited by H. Y. Smith & W. S. Rann, Syracuse, N. Y.
D. Mason & Co., Publishers  1886
Chapter XXVI.
History Of The Town Of Fairhaven
(pages  591-616)

Transcribed by Karima ~ 2002

Childs' Gazetteer of the Town of Fairhaven, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82
Child's Business Directory of the Town of Fairhaven Village, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82
Childs' Business Directory of the Town of Fairhaven Outside of Corporation, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82