town of Fairhaven originally embraced the town of Westhaven, and was chartered
at Manchester October 27, 1779, by the General Assembly of the State. It
is situated in the western part of Rutland county and bounded on the north
by Benson; on the east by Castleton and a part of Poultney; south by Poultney
River (separating it from Hampton, N. Y.), and west by Westhaven.
The surface is generally hilly, the hills rising only in one instance to
the dignity of mountains, viz., Mount Hamilton, just northward from Fairhaven
village. To the northward of this eminence is the "Great Ledge," reaching
the Benson line. To the eastward of Mount Hamilton and along the
east border of the town is Scotch Hill, so named from the number of Scotch
people who settled there. Along the west part of the town extend the great
slate deposits, which have given the locality a national renown and a source
of wealth practically beyond computation. (See Chapter XIII.)
The numerous picturesque
valleys which lie between the hills of the town and along the streams embrace
lands of great productiveness, with soil of varied character. The principal
streams are the
Castleton and Poultney Rivers. The former enters the town from the east,
south of its center, and flows westward to the Poultney River. The latter,
as stated, forms the southwestern boundary of the town. Numerous small
streams coming down from the hills and reaching the larger ones, drain
the entire town. Inman Pond, situated about three miles north of Fairhaven
village, is on the top of a hill, covers an area of about eighty acres
and is fed entirely by springs; from this the village receives its water
The grant of Fairhaven
was made in consideration of the sum of £6,930, and signed by Governor
CHITTENDEN. Of the large number of original grantees only Colonel Matthew
LYON, Oliver CLEVELAND, Philip PRIEST, Israel TROWBRIDGE, Derrick CARRIER
and Eleazer DUDLEY, became settlers here.
The first meeting of
the proprietors to organize under their charter was held at the house of
Nehemiah HOIT, Castleton Corners, June 14, 1780. Colonel Ebenezer ALLEN
was moderator, and Isaac CLARK, proprietors' clerk; here it was voted to
make a division of one hundred acres to each proprietor's right, with five
acres for highways, and Lieutenant Elisha CLARK, Oliver CLEVELAND and Asa
DUDLEY were chosen to lay out the first division lots. Captain John GRANT
was chosen proprietors' treasurer. It was voted that the 21st of August,
1780, be the day to begin to survey the pitches. At other meetings in 1780
and 1781, three other divisions were voted, the first of one hundred acres;
the second of sixty-three acres, and the third of fifty acres. At a meeting
in April, 1782, Beriah MITCHELL and Oliver CLEVELAND were appointed a committee
to warn land-owners when to work on highways. The main high way from Castleton
line to Mr. DUDLEY's camp, a point somewhere not far westward of the present
division line between Fairhaven and Westhaven, was surveyed October 8,
1782, via "Muddy Brook," Philip PRIEST's house, and the house of Joseph
HASKINS. In November, 1782, Philip PRIEST and Curtis KELSEY were appointed
overseers of highway work, and the laying out of other roads continued
as the needs of the settlers demanded.
The town was organized
at the house of Mr. PRIEST, August 28, 1783, with Mr. PRIEST moderator,
and Eleazer DUDLEY, town clerk. The selectmen chosen were Philip PRIEST,
John MEACHAM and Heman BARLOW; Michael MERRITT, constable. No other officers
were chosen until the spring of 1784, when the following were elected on
March 22: Eleazer DUDLEY, town clerk; Eleazer DUDLEY, Thomas DICKSON and
Oliver CLEVELAND, selectmen; Daniel MUNGER, grand juryman; Philip PRIEST
and Beriah MITCHELL, listers; Beriah MITCHELL, constable; Michael MERRITT,
treasurer; Ichabod MITCHELL, John MEACHAM and Philip PRIEST, surveyors;
Philip PRIEST, Michael MERRITT and Eleazer DUDLEY, trustees to take care
of the school right and the right for the support of the ministry. The
school lot was sold, according to a vote, in September, to Eleazer DUDLEY
The warning for the March
meeting of 1792 called it for the purpose of choosing town officers and
"to see if they will agree to petition the Legislature of this State to
divide this town into two, and to see if they can agree upon a dividing
line." James WITHERELL and Lemuel HYDE were appointed agents to petition
the Legislature for the said division. The questions of making the division
at Mud Brook and at Hubbardton River were both voted against; but the proposed
division as it was finally made received forty-eight votes in favor and
seven against. The minority made considerable opposition to the proposed
division, holding that the town was too small for such a division, and
that the western land was the most valuable, etc.; but the division was
made by act of Assembly passed the 18th and signed the 20th of October,
1792, at Rutland, The two towns had but one representative and held their
freemen's meetings together until 1823, when the town of Fairhaven was
granted her separate rights in this respect.
Up to the date of the
division, settlement of the town had gone forward with gratifying rapidity,
and improvement of farms, roads and bridges and the general prosperity
of the settlers had progressed in encouraging ratio.
The first settler of
prominence was Oliver CLEVELAND, who had established a settlement here
before the town was incorporated in 1779. Although held to be a resident
of Fairhaven, he first settled in 1777 on the New York side of Poultney
River, then supposed to be a part of Vermont. He came from Killingworth,
Conn.; a few years after his arrival he came on to the tract of land embracing
the present farms of Charles P. GREEN and Chauncey WOOD. At his death in
September, 1803, the farm was divided among his three sons, Josiah, Albert
and James. Notwithstanding his absolute illiteracy, Oliver CLEVELAND was
a leading man in the early days of Fairhaven, and served as selectman nearly
every year between 1784 and 1803. None of his descendants live in Fairhaven
now, though some are living in Chicago and other parts of the West.
John MEACHAM came to
Fairhaven very soon after the arrival of Oliver CLEVELAND, and resided
north of his farm, on the well-known KIDDER place, now occupied by Mr.
WOOD. He had ten children, but no descendants of any of them now live in
town. Joseph BALLARD came about the same time and lived north of Meacham.
He has no descendants here now. Besides these settlements, which seem to
have been the first in the south part of the town, there were others farther
down the Poultney River, some of which may have been older still. For instance,
at the point were the "Hessian Road " crossed the river, Jonathan LYNDE,
who, it has been suggested in Mr. Adams's history, may have been one of
a company of Dutch people that came from the Bennington or the Albany neighborhood
at the time of the Revolutionary War, had improved a place.
It is probable that Benoni
HURLBURT, Joseph CARVER, Jonathan HALL and John VAN DOZER settled before
the town was chartered, on the fall of Poultney River, now known as Carver's
Falls. There were undoubtedly other settlements made along certain portions
of Poultney River at this period, though the more prominent characters
in the organization of the township came about the beginning of the year
1780 or soon after.
Michael MERRITT, in August,
1780, came from. Killingworth, Conn., to the farm on the old disused road,
in the west part of the present town, now owned by Heman STANNARD, of Hampton,
N. Y., being the same farm whereon Jonathan LYNDE had begun improvements.
He was chosen first constable at the organization, and afterwards served
as town clerk, treasurer, selectman, and in other public offices. He died
here August 18, 1815, aged seventy-seven years, leaving, eleven children,
none of whom, or their descendants, survive in Fairhaven. Philip PRIEST,
brother-in-law to Mr. MERRITT, having married his sister, came with him,
and built his log house on the farm now owned and occupied by Hiram HAMILTON.
He kept tavern here for a number of years. He died in Chateaugay, N. Y.,
about 1816. He was a prominent man in town affairs.
Israel TROBRIDGE and
Jeremiah DURAND came about this time from Derby, Conn., and located near
the west line of Castleton. In the summer of 1780, too, came Curtis KELSEY,
sr., from Woodbury, Conn., purchasing the proprietary right in Fairhaven
of Josiah GRANT, of Poultney. He was one of the wealthiest of the early
settlers. His farm included the tract now owned and occupied by Elbridge
ESTEY. He died in March, 1827, aged eighty-seven years. In 1788 Silas SAFFORD
and his brother-in-law, Ager HAWLEY, arrived from Arlington,Vt., and made
the first settlement on the site of the village. He owned the farm where
Myron BARNES now lives, and kept tavern there some of the time. He was
elected the first justice of the peace of the town, and remained in the
office for forty years. He had thirteen children, Alonzo being the ninth.
Alonzo SAFFORD was interested for some years after 1829 in the paper-mill.
He lived on the site of the present residence of R. E. LLOYD. He died in
Michigan a few years ago. Silas SAFFORD died May 12, 1832, aged seventy-four
years. While in the village he occupied the house which now forms the rear
part of Henry Green's dwelling-house.
The most prominent of
all the early residents of Fairhaven, Colonel Matthew LYON, came here from
Arlington, Vt., in 1783, after having purchased tracts of land including
nearly all the present village. While yet resident in Arlington he proposed
to Mr. SAFFORD to give him eighty acres of land as a premium to go to Fairhaven
with his family and board the men who might be employed in building his
proposed mills. With Ager HAWLEY, a millwright, he agreed to build a grist-mill
in co-partnership, HAWLEY to have one-third of the mill. SAFFORD and HAWLEY
accordingly came to Fairhaven. HAWLEY then built the first grist-mill,
either this season or the following spring, on the south side of the lower
falls, a little below the present site of the Marble and Marbleized Slate
Company's mills. About the same time the bridge over the river and the
saw mill on the north side were built.
In 1784 Colonel LYON's
house is said to have stood near the north end of the bridge under the
hill. But subsequently, about 1785, he built and for a number of years
occupied a tavern on the hill where the Park View House now stands, and
later still he lived on the site of the Knight block. He was really the
"father of the town," having, even before his removal from ARLINGTON, caused
the erection of the first saw and grist-mills; and in the summer of 1785
commencing the building of the forge and iron works, and a short time afterwards
of the paper-mill. Colonel LYON was prominent beyond the boundaries of
his own community. Although nicknamed "The Knight of the Wooden Sword,"
for alleged cowardice while holding a lieutenant's commission in a company
of soldiers stationed at Jericho in 1776, under the command of Captain
FASSETT, he denied the justice of the charge, and attained political eminence
in the State and nation. He was representative from Arlington from 1779
to 1782, and while in the General Assembly, in October, 1779, he became
one of the original grantees in the charter for Fairhaven. In 1786 he was
one of the assistant judges of the Rutland County Court, and in 1788, 1790
and 1791, selectman. After being repeatedly defeated, he succeeded, in
1796, in securing the election to Congress, and took his seat in November,
1797. He was a bitter opponent of the Federalist administration, and in
1798 was arrested, tried and convicted under the "alien and sedition" law,
and sentenced to four months imprisonment and a fine of $1,000, with the
costs of the prosecution. He passed his imprisonment at Vergennes. Before
his term had expired he was re-elected to Congress, and prevented the re-arrest
with which he was threatened by immediately proclaiming himself on his
way to Congress. He soon afterward removed to Kentucky. He died near Little
Rock, Ark., August t, 1822. Some of his descendants were recently residents
of Eddyville, Ky. (See Chapter XV.)
Joel HAMILTON came from
Brookfield, Mass., in 1783. During a part of the time he lived in the town
he resided where his nephew, Hiram HAMILTON, still lives, and died there
June 5, 1826. He was constable from 1785 to 1793, and was also for a number
of years deputy sheriff of Rutland county. He has no direct descendants
Samuel STANNARD lived
at first toward the lake in Westhaven, but soon after made his home on
the farm afterwards occupied by his son Heman, and now owned by his grandson,
Heman STANNARD, of Hampton, N. Y., and where Mr. COOK lives. He died April
8, 1815, in his sixty-seventh year. He was a prominent man among the early
settlers, and was frequently chosen on the board of selectmen. Timothy
GOODRICH, from Woodbury, Conn., in 1784 settled on the farm now owned by
Heman STANNARD. He died February 17, 1829, in his seventy-third year. His
brother, Chauncey, lived and died on the farm now owned and occupied by
O. P. RANNEY. He died in his sixty-ninth year, September 20, 1856. Daniel
and Ashael MUNGER, who also came in 1783, settled on the intervale through
which the well-known "Munger Road " now runs. The houses are now all gone.
Joseph SNOW occupied a house on the west side of the road, nearly opposite
the residence of Daniel MUNGER. Daniel MUNGER was deacon of the church,
and probably superintended the building of the old edifice about 1791.
After his death his son, Ashael, succeeded him as deacon. He died February
10, 1805, in his eightieth year.
Lieutenant Charles MCARTHUR,
of Nobletown, N. Y., purchased, in July, 1783, two hundred and sixty acres
of land on the hill in the northeastern part of the town, now known, from
MCARTHUR's national origin, as Scotch Hill, where he erected the first
framed house in town. He died on the 8th of October, 1815, in his seventy-fourth
Eli EVERTS and Ambrose,
his brother, came to town some time in 1783, the former locating on the
place now owned and occupied by Rufus HAMILTON. He was called "captain
" by his contemporaries. He was selectman in 1793.
Richard BEDDOW, an Englishman
and a deserter from the army of Burgoyne, settled about this period near
John MEACHAM, on the farm now occupied by Isaac WOOD and Mrs. A. KIDDER.
He was a blacksmith and nailer, and manufactured nails with John MEACHAM
in a shop on his farm.
In the fall of 1783,
after the civil government of the town was organized, Moses HOLMES came
to town from Lenox, Mass., and settled on a thirty acre tract of land on
Poultney River and next north of John MEACHAM, but a year later moved to
the extreme south part of the town. David PUNDERSON, who was one of the
listers in 1785, resided on the upper side of the road beyond Mr. EVERTS.
In the early part of 1785 Charles RICE came here from Brookfield, Mass.,
and settled on the west street, but afterwards removed to West haven where
he kept a public house, with the sign:
on this side, and nothing on t'other;
in the house, nor in the stable either."
He removed to Canada
before the War of 1812.
Isaac CUTLER, one of
the most prominent of the early settlers, came also from Brookfield in
the spring of this year. He lived on the farm now owned by Hamilton WESCOTT,
and occupied by Brooks ROBERTS. He kept a popular tavern there for a number
of years. In 1798, it is supposed, he came to the village to live with
his brother- in-law, Nathaniel DICKINSON, who kept the village tavern.
Later still he lived on the site of Owen OWEN's present residence. He died
in Westhaven, in November, 1832, aged eighty-six years, after a five years'
residence there. He had been a Revolutionary soldier, and was for years
a justice of the peace in Fairhaven.
Stephen ROGERS came in
1785 from Branford, Conn. He was an intimate friend of Colonel LYON. He
was followed, soon after his arrival here, by his younger brothers, Ambrose,
Beriah and Jared. Stephen, with the aid of Colonel LYON, started the first
tannery in town, under the hill on the west side of the common. He built
a house on the site now covered by the dwelling of Simeon ALLEN. He went
west in 1801.
Gamaliel LEONARD came
in 1785 from Pittsfield, Mass., to Greenfield, N. Y., staying on Hampton
Hills, and while there in 1786 bought land on Poultney River in Fairhaven.
In the spring of 1786 he erected the second saw-mill in town on the site
now covered by the saw-mill of Edward BRISTOL, having previously built
his house near the falls. In 1788, in company with Elias STEVENS and Daniel
ARNOLD, of Hampton, he built a forge at the west end of the mill. An ancestor
of his, James LEONARD, erected the first forge in the country, on the banks
of the Taunton River. Gamaliel LEONARD was a Revolutionary soldier. In
1811 he was one of the selectmen. A grandson, Howard LEONARD, and great-grandson,
are now living over the State line on the road to Whitehall.
In the summer of 1786
Charles HAWKINS, sr., came from Smithfield, R. I., and located north of
the junction of Muddy Brook with Poultney River on the road that has since
fallen into disuse. He was a blacksmith in Rhode Island. He died on March
31, 1810, in his seventy-fifth year. Mrs. Harris WHIPPLE now living in
town is his granddaughter. He has other descendants in Detroit and other
portions of the West. David ERWIN, otherwise "colonel," and otherwise "general,"
came from New Jersey as early as 1786. He was a man of decided ability,
and acted as foreman in the slitting-mill here for some years. Ethan WHIPPLE
from North Providence, R. I., grandfather of Harris WHIPPLE and C. C. WHIPPLE,
still living here, came this year. He had taken an active part in the Revolution.
He was a carpenter by trade, and built the house where John ALLARD now
resides. He was one of the selectmen from 1782 to 1796, and in 1802, 1803
and 1805. He was town treasurer from 1793 to 1813, and town clerk from
1809 to 1813, thus taking a leading part in town government. Among the
arrivals of 1787, were Dr. Stephen HALL, of Connecticut, on the west street,
the first physician owning land in town, and Timothy BRAINARD, of East
Hartford, Conn., on the farm lying next south of Oliver CLEVELAND's, between
the Poultney west line and Poultney River.
In the spring of 1788
Major Tilly GILBERT came from Brookfield, Mass., in company with Gideon
TAFFT, who resided here a while and then removed to Whitehall. Major GILBERT,
then quite a young man, put up for a time at the tavern of Silas SAFFORD,
on the site of Henry GREEN's residence, and was employed by Colonel LYON
to teach school, probably in the school-house on the common. From about
1781 to 1799 he was a resident of Benson and Orwell, but returned to Fairhaven
in the latter year and opened a store, dispensing drugs and medicines as
well as more common merchandise. His house was on the site of the present
Knight block. He owned a half interest in the lower saw-mill, with his
brother, Eliel, until November, 1802, when he bought out his brother. In
1806 he purchased the saw-mill on the upper falls, and retained the former
until 1813, the latter until 1822. He built the house which his son, Benjamin
F. GILBERT, still occupies, in 1814. He removed to Westhaven in about 1832,
where he died September 5, 1850, at the age of seventy-nine years.
Isaiah INMAN came from
Massachusetts in the fall of 1788 with his family and lived for a time
with his brother-in-law, Charles HAWKINS, sr. Inman Pond,near which he
located, derived its name from him. Thomas, or "Doctor" DIBBLE, came from
Nobletown, N. Y., about this time, and settled near the the Castleton line.
In 1789 Dr. James WITHERELL,
an eminent physician, came from Mansfield, Mass., via Hampton; his residence
while here was on land now owned by Hamilton WESCOTT. He succeeded to the
practice of Dr. Stephen HALL, and was for more than twenty years an influential
citizen here, being several times a representative in the State Assembly,
judge of the County Court and once a Member of Congress. He removed to
Detroit, Mich., about 1810, where he became one of the United States judges
of the Territory. He has descendants there now who hold a prominent place
in society. Judge WITHERELL bore a prominent part in the Revolutionary
War, and at Detroit in the War of 1812. He died in Detroit, January 9,
1838, in his seventy-ninth year.
Other arrivals about
this period were Frederick HILL, Jabez NEWLAND, Beriah ROGERS, Charles
BOYLE, Olney HAWKINS, William BUELL and Nathaniel DICKINSON. Abijah WARREN,
from Litchfield, Conn., a son-in-law of Daniel MUNGER, came at least as
early as 1790. He lived latterly in the grist-mill house.
John BROWN, who kept
the town records from 1793 to 1801, as town clerk, was a beautiful penman.
He came here from Rhode Island in 1792, and resided for a time on the piece
of ground now occupied by Mr. CAMPBELL (son of James CAMPBELL); subsequently
he kept the tavern in the village a number of years. He died at St. Albans,
on the 16th of March, 1805, aged thirty- nine years.
Shubel BULLOCK, a carpenter
and joiner, came to Fairhaven about 1798, and built his house southwest
of the Cedar Swamp. After several years he removed to the farm next south
of the DURAND Place. He had a numerous and respectable family.
Lewis D. MARANVILLE,
of Poultney, who subsequently married a daughter of Oliver CLEVELAND, bought
a tract of fifty-four acres from William BUCKLAND, in July, 1799. The lot
lies just east of where Richard BEDDOW then resided. Here Mr. MARANVILLE
resided until the time of his death in 18¢9. His son, Lewis D. MARANVILLE,
is still a resident of this town.
A prominent settler reached
here in 1799 in the person of Joseph SHELDON, of Dorset, who thereafter
settled a parcel of land lying on and around "Beaver Meadow." His son,
Joseph, came here in 1798. H. R. and Leander SHELDON, are descendants from
Ethiel PERKINS, a Revolutionary
soldier who participated in the battle of Bunker Hill, left Derby, Conn.,
for Vermont, about 1795, and in 1799 settled on Scotch Hill. He married
Esther FOX. He died in February, 1826. Laura PERKINS, Maryette, who married
Romeo PROCTOR, and Sarah D., who married Richard LEWIS, and now residing
in Fairhaven; Rev. James G. Perkins, of West Rutland, and Polly Ann, who
married Nathan AGER, from Keene, N. H., and now residing in Castleton,
are all great-grandchildren of Ethiel PERKINS.
There were many other
settlers here, of more or less prominence, but the foregoing names embrace
most of those who were conspicuous in the earliest settlement of the town.
Situated as the town was, so near the battle-field of the Revolutionary
War, the building up of the prosperity at present indicated by the increasing
population, and the noisy but auspicious bum of industry, did not, in reality,
begin until the later years of the preceding century. The fathers and grandfathers
of the prominent men whose interests are identified with those of Fairhaven
today, were many of them men who forsook their fields and shops and hearth-stones
in the almost impervious wilderness, and engaged for years in the defense
of a country which had yet to prove the splendor of her destiny. Among
the Revolutionary soldiers who afterwards lived in Fairhaven were the following:
Jacob BARNES, Solomon CLEVELAND, Isaac CUTLER, Jonathan CADY, Jeremiah
DURAND, Alexander DONAHUE, Jabez HAWKINS, Benjamin HICKOK, Benjamin HASKINS,
Colonel Matthew LYON, Gamaliel LEONARD, Ethiel PERKINS, Silas SAFFORD,
Ethan WHIPPLE, sen., and James WITHERELL.
It is thus seen that
in comparison with other towns Fairhaven furnished her full share of men
for the wars which have interrupted at times the peaceful progress of the
country. She furnished many and valiant men in the War of 1812, and in
the last war sent out men as follows:
Volunteers for three
years credited previous to call for 300,000 volunteers of October 17th,
1863. -- Adolphus BOONVILLE, co. C, 7th regt.; Jeremiah CALLAGAN, co. C,
11th regt.; George A. CANTINE, co. C, 7th regt.; Henry DAVIS, Samuel DOWLING,
co. H, cav.; Edward GILBERT, Moses F. LEE, co. C, I 11th regt.; Eli LEFEVRE,
co. C, 7th regt.; Joseph LESCARBEAU, John H. MACOMBER, co. C, 11th regt.;
George W. MANCHESTER, co. F, 1 st s. s ; Asa F. MATHER, co. C, 11th regt.;
Emmett MATHER, co. H, cav.; Henry C. NICHOLS, co. F, 1st s. s.; David A.
PATCH, co. K, 2d regt.; David PELKEY, Lewis PELKEY, co. C; 11th regt.;
Joseph PELKEY, Co. C, 7th regt.; John POCKET, co. C, 11th regt.; Oscar
C. PROCTOR, William H. PROCTOR, co. E, 2d s. s.; Michael RILEY, Emons H.
SHURTLIFF, co. C, 7th regt.; Josephus SHELDON, co. B, 2d regt.; Albert
SMITH, co. C, 11th regt.; Griffith WILLIAMS, co. B, 2d regt.; Myron WOOD,
co. C, 11th regt.; Zebedee WOOD, co. D, 7th regt.; Moses YOUNG, co. C,
Credits under call of
October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers, and subsequent calls. Volunteers
for three years. -- Peter BRO, co. C, 11th regt.; Theodore CHASE, co. H,
cav.; Michael DEMPSEY, jr., co. I, 17th regt.; Joseph DICKLOW, Mederick
DICKLOW, Paul DICKLOW, co. C, 11th regt.; James DUGGAN, co. B, 9th regt.;
Patrick FAY, George FORGET, Joseph GALLIPO, co. C, 11th regt.; Michael
HOGAN, co. D, cav.; Walter S. HANKS, Co. I, 17th regt.; William C. HAWKINS,
co. C, 11th regt.; Edward T. HOOKER, co. A, 8th regt.; Robert HUNTER, 11th
regt.; Eugene KELLY, co. F, 1st s. s.; Joseph H. MONROE, co. K, 11th regt.;
Charles PELKEY, John PLUMTREE, co. I, 7th regt.; Henry PRESTON, co. C,
11th regt.; Thomas RUDD, co. B, 9th regt.; Charles W. STEWART, 54th Mass.;
Adrian T. WOODWARD, co. I, 17th regt.
Volunteers for one year.
-- Robert BROWN, 54th Mass.; George D. CALVERT, Nathan S. CAPEN, co. C,
11th regt.; Cyrus DOLBY, 54th Mass.; Nelson GRANGER, co. C, 7th regt.;
Henry HUMMERSTON, co. C, 11th regt.; George HUNTER, 54th Mass.; Burr B.
MANCHESTER, 11th regt.; James MURPHY, co. B, 7th regt.; Mansel A. ORMSBEE,
5th regt; Moses PARRET, co. C, 7th regt.; Charles W. SAGER, co. L, 11th
-- Adolphus BONVILLE, Eli LEFEVRE, John LEFEVRE, Joseph PELKEY, Michael
RILEY, Co. C, 7th regt.
Enrolled men who furnished
substitutes. -- Charles CLARK, W. B. ESTY, Benjamin S. NICHOLS.
Naval Credits. -- Hiram
KILBURNE, Granville C. WILLEY.
Miscellaneous. -- Not
credited by name, three men.
Volunteers for nine months.
-- Julius H. BOSWORTH, James B. CROWLEY, Cornelius CROWLEY, Vincent C.
DEWEY, Patrick FAY, Michael GRADY, Joel W. HAMILTON, William H. HAMILTON,
Charles HARRISON, John HUMPHREY, Patrick HUMPHREY, Benjamin E. LEE, Richard
LEWIS, Andrew MARNES, David MCBRIDE, English L. MAYNARD, Patrick O'BRIEN,
Charles PERKINS, John F. PERKINS, James RAFFERTY, Daniel REARDON, William
S. ROBERTS, John ROWLAND, Dallas M. WARE, Hiram E. WHITLOCK, John H. WILLIAMS,
William E. WILLIAMS, Leman WOOD, co. F, 14th regt.
Furnished under draft.
Paid commutation, James DONNELLY, John W. EDDY, Edgar S. ELLIS, Robert
W. JONES, Rollin M. KIDDER, Wesley LEE, Oliver K. RANNEY, John RYAN, Wesley
SHURTLIFF, Edward J. STANNARD, Abram S. TABER, John J. WILLIAMS. Entered
service, Samuel HUNTER, 54th Mass.
The present officers
of the town of Fairhaven, elected in March, 1885, are as follows: Town
clerk, E. D. HUMPHREY; selectmen, O. A. PECK, P. MALEY, Robert MORRIS;
treasurer, E. H. PHELPS; overseer of the poor, W. KETCHUM ; constable,
William A. SMITH; listers, Seth THOMPSON, R. K. HAMILTON, N. S. WOOD; auditors,
A. N. ADAMS, I. W. PARKHURST, S. D. WILLIAMS; trustee of public moneys,
C. C. KNIGHT; fence viewers, John RUTLEDGE, Rev. J. GOW, W. BIXBY; town
grand jurors, N. R. REED, A. N. ADAMS; inspector of leather, Thomas HUGHES;
pound-keeper, W. L. TOWN; inspector of wood and shingles, S. THOMPSON.
The general growth of
Fairhaven, with occasional declines from accidental causes, is shown by
the following extract from the census table: 1791, 375; 1800, 411; 1810,
645; 1820, 714; 1830, 675; 1840, 633; 1850, 902; 1860, 1,378; 1870, 2,208;
Public worship was held
for twenty years after the organization of the town under town auspices,
and without any distinct sectarian organization. In the year 1791 Colonel
Matthew LYON, and Deacon Daniel MUNGER built the "Lord's Barn," so called,
being the same building recently used by Dan Orme as barn. The first minister
mentioned is Rev. Mr. FARLEY, a young man from Poultney, who came here
about 1803. During the early part of 1805 Rev. Joseph MILLS preached on
alternate Sundays in Fairhaven and Westhaven. On the 15th of November,
1803, the first church organization was effected, called the "Church of
Chirst," in Fairhaven and Westhaven. During the last part of 1805 and the
first part of 1806, Rev. Silas HIGLEY acted as pastor.
The first Congregational
Society was organized on the 2d day of January, 1806, with a membership
of fifteen. The first meeting, held in the schoolhouse, was presided over
by Asher HUGGINS, of Westhaven, moderator; Joel HAMILTON was the first
clerk; Curtis KELSEY, treasurer; Oren KELSEY, collector; Timothy BRAINARD,
Paul SCOTT and Calvin MUNGER, committee; while Tilly GILBERT, Silas SAFFORD,
and Roger PERKINS were chosen committee to unite with the church committee
in giving a call. Rev. Silas HIGLEY, although given a call, did not remain,
and his successor, Rev. Rufus CUSHMAN, was ordained and installed February
12, 1807. In January, 1811, Joel HAMILTON began to draw stone for a new
church edifice, which was raised on the tenth of May following, on the
present site, and was dedicated June 18, 1812. In 1837 or '38 a new pulpit
replaced the old one, and in 1840 the old spire, which had become insecure,
was taken down, and the steeple furnished with turrets. In 1851 the whole
building was remodeled to its present shape. Among the pastors who have
served since Mr. CUSHMAN's death in February, 1829, have been Rev. Amos
DRURY, 1829-1837; Rev. F. C. WOODWORTH, 1840-1841; Philo CANFIELD, 1842-1844;
Rev. Mr. HINE; Rev. J. B. SHAW, 1846-1850; Rev. S. L. HERRICK, stated supply,
1852-1855; Rev. Edward W. HOOKER, D. D., 1856-1862; Rev. R. L. HERBERT,
of the Welsh Chapel, until 1869, and others.
The first parsonage was
purchased in the fall of 1838. The present parsonage was finished in October,
1880, about $2,000 having been expended upon it. The house of worship has
also been extensively repaired and improved, and it is now in connection
with the parsonage valued at $10,000. The present pastor, Rev. R. C. FLAGG,
came January 1st, 1880. The church membership now numbers about 100, while
the meeting-house has a capacity of about 250 persons. S. L. ALLEN is the
present Sabbath-school superintendent. The average attendance at the school
is about eighty. The present church deacons are, Otis EDDY, E. L. ALLEN
and Marcus DEWEY.
The Methodist Episcopal
Church was organized in 1825 by Rev. Albert CHAPIN, although there had
been occasional preaching by ministers of this persuasion for more than
a quarter of a century preceding. Rev. Lorenzo DOW preached at the house
of Stephen HOLT as early as 1796, and had among his congregation members
of the BALLARD and HOLT families, and afterwards Beriah ROGERS. In 1827
Fairhaven and Castleton formed part of the same circuit, and were visited
by Revs. Mr. HAZELTON, Joseph AYERS, C. R. WILKINS, and Mr. Stewart FAIRHAVEN
was afterwards connected with East Whitehall, and was supplied about 1838
by Rev. Albert CHAMPLAIN. He was followed by Rev. Joel SQUIRES for about
two years. Rev. Mr. COOPER, assisted by Rev. Jesse T. Peck, D. D., and
others from the seminary at Poultney, was supplying, when the subscription,
to build the first edifice, was raised in 1842. Among the pastors sent
here by the Troy Conference are the following reverend gentlemen: Mr. GRAVES,
Matthias LUDLUM, Godfrey SAXE, J. E. BOWEN, Thomas PIERSON, John HASSEMAN,
David OSGOOD, Mr. GRIFFITH, H. FORD, P. H. SMITH, John THOMPSON, Hannibal
H. SMITH, A. VIELE, R. FOX, and Delmer R. LOWELL. The present pastor, Rev.
M. B. MEAD, came here on the 1st of May, 1885. The present church edifice
was erected in 1877 (the old one having been destroyed by fire), at a cost
of $15,000, and will easily seat 500 persons. The estimated value of the
church property is now about $15,000. The church membership is about 160.
The present officers are as follows: Stewards (and trustees), W. KETCHUM,
W. L. TOWN, E. F. FIELDS, R. W. SUTLIFF, C. GARDNER, B. LAPE, M. D., T.
HUGHES, E. R. BRISTOL, W. R. ESTY, A. DOWD, H. FARR, R. E. Lee, R. ROWELL;
class leaders, I. H. ALLARD, Charles CLINE, F. TOWN, J. ALLARD, D. S. DAVIS;
local deacon, R. HANGER; local preacher, J. GREEN; exhorter, E. C. LEE;
Sabbath-school superintendent, Frank TOWN. The average attendance at Sabbath-school
The Welsh Protestant
Society, of Fairhaven was organized in the summer of 1851 by Rev. Evan
GRIFFITHS, of Utica, and Rev. Thomas R. JONES, of Rome, N. Y. Rev. Griffith
JONES was the first pastor. The first regular meetings were held in the
school-house. In 1857 the society erected their brick house of worship,
on the east side of Main street, at an expense of about $3,500. The second
pastor, Rev. R. L. HERBERT, of Utica, remained here a number of years.
The present pastor is Rev. John W. WILLIAM.
The Welsh Calvinistic
Methodist Society was formed in 1859 by a portion of the last above named
society, and at once erected a, small edifice across the street from the
house of worship used by the Welsh Protestants. Their first pastor was
Rev. Daniel T. ROWLAND. Other pastors have been Rev. John JONES, Rev. E.
W. BROWN, and Rev. Robert T. GRIFFITHS. The present pastor is Rev. J. M.
HUGHES. The church edifice was considerably enlarged and improved in 1885.
St. Mary's Church (Roman
Catholic) was organized in 1856 by Rev. Zephurin DRUON, of Rutland, who
erected the first house of worship here. At the time of its organization
this church had 100 members. The church was attended from Rutland by the
Rev. Fathers DRUON and LYNCH, until December, 1866, when Rev. J. C. O'DWYER
was settled as the first resident pastor. The present pastor, Rev. P. J.
O'CARROLL, came in 1872. His assistant, Rev. A. J. GLYNN, came in 1880.
The present church edifice was completed in 1873, at a cost of $35,000.
The estimated value of the church property, including the old French Church,
which was built in 1869 and afterwards transferred to this church, is about
$45,000. About 200 families attend here. The churches at Poultney, West
Castleton, Castleton, and Middletown are attended from this church.
The Baptist Church was
organized on the 14th of December, 1867. Most of the first members were
from the church at Hydeville. The first deacons were Alonson ALLEN and
I. N. CHURCHILL. The first meetings were held in the chapel over Mr. ADAMS's
store, and after that for some time in the Town Hall. Rev. P. F. JONES
was the first pastor. The corner-stone of the first and present house of
worship was laid during the pastorate of Rev. D. SPENCER, June 2, 1870.
The building was completed in 1873 at a total cost of about $24,000, and
will now accommodate 475 persons. The estimated value of the church property
at present is $25,000. The church membership is about 120. The average
attendance at Sabbath-school is eighty-four, the pastor acting as superintendent.
The pastor, until about January 1, 1885, was Rev. John R. GOW, who came
in July, 1882, as successor to Rev. A. C. FERGUSON. The present church
officers are: Ira C. ALLEN, clerk; B. F. GILBERT, jr., assistant clerk;
I. N. CHURCHILL, J. S. MOON, Isaac HARLOW, H. W. FARMER, deacons.
The account of the early
industries of Fairhaven has been reserved for the present caption, because
the business has always centered in and about the site of the present village.
Varied manufacturing industries of nearly a hundred years ago were built
under the influence of the same inducements which cause the prosperity
and continuance of the mills of the present day. In most town histories
it is found that a saw-mill was the first evidence of man's approaching
dominion over the undirected forces of nature, and Fairhaven furnishes
no exception to this general rule. The first saw-mill in this town was
erected by Colonel Matthew LYON in 1783, on the north side of the lower
falls. Between the time of its erection and 1813 it was owned and operated
successively by Asa SMITH and Heman HOFFMAN, Colonel LYON and Dr. Simeon
SMITH, Colonel LYON and Solomon CLEVELAND, Colonel LYON and Pliny ADAMS,
Pliny ADAMS and Eliel GILBERT, Eliel GILBERT and Stephen ROGERS, Eliel
and Tilly GILBERT, Tilly GILBERT, Salmon NORTON and Isaac CUTLER, Tilly
GILBERT, Jacob DAVEY. The property then passed through various hands, and
in 1850 was deeded by H. & H. HOWARD to Cullen W. HAWKINS, the grantors
reserving water from the flume for a bark and hide-mill, and pump and rolling-mill
which they erected on the north side of the adjoining grist-mill. About
1860 George O. KILBOURN built the brick building next above it for a woolen
factory. In 1863 it was occupied by E. S. EELLS and Joseph DELAHAUNTY,
for weaving soldiers' jackets, and shortly afterwards by Edward L. ALLEN,
for the manufacture of oil safes. It is now used as a shirt factory. (See
present business interests). The second saw-mill was built by Gamaliel
LEONARD on the falls near the line between Vermont and New York States,
in 1785. After being operated by different owners with varying degrees
of success it was acquired in May, 1842, by David H. BRISTOL, who built
the present wood-turning shop and dwelling-house, now owned by Edwin R.
BRISTOL. Edwin R, BRISTOL put in the circular saw in 1878, and now carries
on a very considerable business. Another early saw-mill was erected in
1797 by Stephen HOLT for Moses SCOTT, of Waterford, N. Y., and James LYON,
of Fairhaven. It stood on the upper falls, above the old iron works, hereafter
mentioned, and was a very large mill, calculated to do an extensive business.
It was carried away by the great freshet of 1811, and was succeeded by
a new one which Major Tilly GILBERT at once erected. This building was
destroyed by fire in 1833, while owned and operated by Jacob DAVEY, and
was never rebuilt. Another mill was erected in 1814 by Joseph SHELDON,
near the outlet of Beaver Meadow, which did a large business for many years.
Two small mills were built in 1817, one by Eliab BRIGGS for Olney HAWKINS
and Nathaniel SANFORD, at the outlet of Inman Pond, which was operated
until nearly the middle of the century, and the other by Benjamin, Elias
and Matthew HICKOCK and Dr. Ebenezer HURD, near Little Pond; very little
came of it. The first grist-mill was built by Colonel LYON and Ager HAWLEY,
on the south side of the river below the old paper-mill, about 1783. It
was probably superseded by the grist-mill north of the saw-mill first mentioned,
and which is the ancestor of the present grist-mill of the Hazard Slate
The one industry, however,
which for a series of years wrought the greatest benefit to the village
and town of Fairhaven, was the iron manufactory of Colonel Matthew LYON,
which stood on the upper falls. Colonel LYON built the dam to turn the
water in July, 1785, and undoubtedly built the works in the same season.
In October, 1785, he petitioned the State Legislature to lay a duty of
two pence per pound on nails coming into the State, that he might build
his works and supply the State. From the importance which this interest
attained here the town was long afterwards known familiarly as "Lyon's
Works." LYON operated them until 1800 and then sold them to Edward DOUSE,
of Dedham, Mass. Jacob DAVEY, interested in so many other affairs of manufacturing
importance, owned these works from 1807 to 1843, rebuilding them twice,
after a fire in 1813, and another in March, 1843. Alonson ALLEN operated
them under a lease for five years preceding the last fire. They are not
now in operation.
The old Fairhaven paper-mill
was built by Colonel LYON, as early as 1790, and was owned and operated
by the "Colonel" and his son, James (a part of the time), until 1799, when
Josiah NORTON, of Castleton, purchased it, with thirty-two acres of land
on both sides of the river, for $1,500. This mill was burned in March,
1806, the site sold by the owner, Alexander DONAHUE, to John HERRING, Moses
COLTON and Joel BEAMAN, who rebuilt the mill. It was burned again on the
31st of January, 1831, having been used in addition to its former purposes,
as a store and whiskey distillery, and was at once rebuilt. The business
after that never amounted to much, although carried on a part of the time
by men of good business qualities, and a few years ago was finally abandoned.
It is now occupied by the Fairhaven Marble and Marbleizing Company as a
Several tanneries were
operated on the site of the present village in the period of its early
growth, which undoubtedly contributed not a little to the prominence of
the place in the county. The second sale of land made by Colonel LYON,
within the present village, was to Stephen ROGERS, in May, 1792, of seven
acres of land on the bank of the river, west of the common. The deed contained
a reservation by LYON of the sole right to keep a tavern or house of entertainment,
store, shop for the sale of merchandise or imported spirits, for fifteen
years ; thus evincing a disposition to monopolize the benefits arising
from these interests himself. The tannery which Stephen ROGERS built stood
under the hill west of his house, and was operated after 1801 by Calvin
MUNGER and others, including Harvey CHURCH. It failed for the last time
in about 1834, while operated by Isaac PATCH and Theophilus T. PARMENTER,
of Brandon. Beriah ROGERS, brother of Stephen, also ran a tannery in the
place for a number of years.
In 1808 John and Joshua
QUINTON and Thomas CHRISTIE erected a building with a trip-hammer and anvil,
for the manufacture of scythes, and used at a later date in making axes
and hoes, on or near the site until recently occupied by the Union Slate
works, and near the old tannery of Beriali ROGERS. In its a earlier days
considerable business was done there, but it finally fell into disuse,
was afterwards, about 1839, used for a bark-mill and tannery, and by Wellington
KETCHUM was converted into the Union Slate Works.
In the same year, 1808,
Jacob DAVEY, Seth PERSONS and Horatio FOSTER, the two latter being respectively
residents of Sudbury and Hubbardton, erected a building on land north of
the river and west of the iron works, in which they carried on for years
the business of fulling, coloring and dressing cloth, and made considerable
money at times, the price of fulling and finishing cloth it is said, being
fifty cents per yard during the War of 1812.
A further industry, which
occupied the attention of some of the most prominent men at a somewhat
later period, viz., the distilling of whisky, is thus mentioned in the
excellent History of Fairhaven by A. N. ADAMS:
"The business of distilling
spirituous liquor in the form of whisky, from rye and corn, was extensively
carried on in this town in former years. The almost universal of use whisky
made it an article of merchandise in great demand, and no store of goods
was complete without it.
"The difficulty and expense
of transportation so far as Troy, then the principal market for grains,
rendered the grain products of the country of little worth at home, and
unless there could be a market and sale for them the. farmer had no means
of purchasing the goods which the merchant might import. Accordingly distilleries
or 'stills' were established and their existence was an evidence of enterprise
and business in a town."
Erwin SAFFORD, an early
merchant here, erected a distillery near CHURCH's tannery, on the side
hill, in 1818, to the rear of the old parsonage, and carried on the business
for several years. In July, 1819, he sold his store, on the east side of
the common, and distillery to James T. WATSON. Moses COLTON and H. H. CRANE
owned it after February, 1821, and also one built by Mr. CRANE and Elisha
PARKHILL in 1820, on the west street beyond the burying-ground. In February,
1823, the firm of COLTON, WARREN & SPROAT, proprietors of the paper-mill,
bought the SAFFORD still and made whisky here in large quantities for several
years. They also erected and operated, in 1825, a distillery on land lying
next east and north of the SAFFORD property. They failed in July, 1827,
the SAFFORD distillery having burned in 1824, and been rebuilt.
In addition to its prominence
as a manufacturing center, early Fairhaven had also a wide reputation for
its taverns and stores. Colonel LYON's tavern, which he built on the site
of the Park View House about 1785 or ‘86, was well known throughout this
part of the State. He himself officiated as host for a number of years
until he moved into his private residence on the site of Knight's block,
and rented the tavern to Nathaniel DICKINSON, who kept it until about 1798,
and probably in 1799, 1801, 1802 and 1803, while John BROWN kept it in
1800. It was afterwards kept by Royal DENNIS, Thomas WILMOT, John BEAMAN,
Mrs. Thomas WILMOT, Spencer WARD. In 1838 Mrs. WILMOT sold the tavern to
her agent, John D. STANNARD, who kept it until about 1850. Since that time
it was never kept open for any great length of time. Another early tavern,
known as the old Dennis tavern, was opened by Royal DENNIS in 1809, and
stood on the site of MEAD's drug store and the Allen National Bank building,
John BEAMAN, Joseph BROWN, James GREENOUGH and others kept this house at
various, times. It was practically closed when Mrs. Lucy WILMOT bought
it in 1829.
Prominent among the early
merchants were Colonel Matthew LYON, William HENNESSY and Seth PERSONS.
Lyon's store stood in the rear of the site of the residence (in 1870) of
Thomas HUGHES, and was built no later than 1791. The building was used
for mercantile purposes through the first quarter of the present century.
The HENNESSEY store,
built about 1794, stood six or seven rods north of LYON's dwelling-house,
and was closed in the first half dozen years of the century. The store
of Seth PERSONS was erected on the lot purchased in December, 1808, by
Seth PERSONS of Major Tilly GILBERT, and which included the site of the
present First National Bank building. It was converted into a dwelling-
house in 1812, by Mrs. Anna WELLS. In 1815 or 1816 Dr. Israel PUTNAM built
a new store on Mrs. Wells's land which did good mercantile service for
"The village of Fairhaven
was first laid out and established December 21, 1820, under a general law
of the State, by Isaac CUTLER, John P. COLBURN and Harvey CHURCH, selectmen
of the town at the time, as follows:
application has been made to the undersigned, selectmen of the town of
Fairhaven, to lay out and establish a village in said town agreeable to
an act passed March, 1817, restraining certain animals from running at
large in villages within the State, we do, therefore, lay out and bound
a village in said town as follows: Beginning at the southeast corner of
Barnabas ELLIS' farm (called the Wadkins place); thence westerly on the
south line of said farm, and on the south line of Enos BRISTOL's farm to
the southwest corner thereof; thence northerly on said BRISTOL's, and on
Tilly GILBERT's west line, till it strikes the road leading from the meeting-house,
in said town, to the State of New York, by way of the Rev. Mr. CUSHMAN's;
thence in a straight line until it strikes the turnpike at the place where
said turnpike and the road leadng from Curtis KELSEY's westwardly, intersects
; thence easterly on the north line of said road until it strikes the highway
leading from Fairhaven to Castletleton Mills; thence to the southeast corner
of a piece of land recently sold by Curtis KELSEY to John BEAMAN; thence
in a straight line to the northwest corner of Hezekiah WHITLOCK's farm;
thence southwardly on said WHITLOCK's west line to his southwest corner;
thence in a direct line to the bounds begun at.'
do not learn that any other action in reference to a village, than this
formal survey, was taken by the citizens of Fairhaven until the fall of
1865, when the Legislature of the State passed a charter or act of incorporation,
erecting a tract of one square mile into a corporate village."
A. N. Adams's “History of Fairhaven.”]
The first officers of
the village elected at a meeting held on the 4th of December, 1865, in
Adams and Allen's Hall were as follows: Edward L. ALLEN, clerk; Ira C.
ALLEN, Israel DAVEY, Joseph JENNINGS, trustees; Joseph ADAMS, treasurer;
John G. PITKIN, collector; John W. EDDY, Julius H. BOSWORTH, John J. WILLIAMS,
Timothy MILLER, and William C. GREEN, fire wardens.
Perhaps the most beneficial
results of the village organization is the laying of an aqueduct from Inman
Pond to the village, thus affording its inhabitants ample and convenient
supplies of water. The first action towards the establishment of the works
was the appointment in December, 1879, of James POTTLE, George M. FULLER
and O. A. PECK, to act as committee to investigate and report the feasibility
of bringing water to the village. Upon due investigation Inman Pond was
selected as the source of supply and money was borrowed to prosecute the
work of laying the pipe. The works cost about $37,147.35, and consist of
a main ten-inch pipe, clarifying pipes of from six to eight inches in diameter,
according to location. There is a fall of nearly two hundred feet from
the pond to the street in front of the Park View House.
The present village officers
elected on the second Tuesday in April, 1885, are the following: William
H. PRESTON, clerk; Robert MORRIS, Lawrence KINSELLA, trustees; 0. A. PECK,
J. T. HUGHES, E. H. LEWIS, water commissioners; William A. SMITH, collector
of taxes; E. H. PHELPS, treasurer; C. C. KNIGHT, chief engineer; William
A. STEPHENS, O. A. PECK, T. H. STREETER, L. E. WOOD, E. L. GOODRICH, fire
wardens in the order named.
The Slate Business. --
This most prominent industry in Fairhaven was begun in a small way by Alonson
ALLEN and Caleb B. RANNY, in the fall of 1839, who quarried for a time
with a view to the manufacture of school slates.
James COLMAN is one of
the pioneers in the slate business of Vermont. He and Ryland HANGER introduced
the marbleizing process here in the spring of 1859, and carried on the
business together until the summer of 1862. Before 1859 Mr. Coleman had
been for some time in West Castleton, and after the dissolution of the
partnership he passed a year in England, and the remainder of the time
until 1880 in West Castleton. In 1880 he became associated with Melvin
The firm of COLMAN &
WESTCOTT now do a considerable business, having one quarry in the village,
from which a superior quality of green slate is taken, and one mill, with
appurtenant machinery for the finishing of slate. They employ in all about
William E. LLOYD, successor
to LLOYD, OWENS & Co., has been continuously interested in the quarrying
of slate here since 1865, his quarries being situated on the farm of Loomis
SPAULDING in Poultney, though the enterprise properly belongs to Fairhaven.
He and R. E. LLOYD, in company with Owen OWENS, G. O. WILLIAMS and Owen
ELLIS, leased quarries on this farm in the fall of 1865. R. E. LLOYD, in
1872, also, with John E. LLOYD, operated quarries on the same farm, and
now owns that interest. He and Robert W. JONES are successors, too, to
a company formed in August, 1871, composed of themselves, Hugh D. HUMPHREY
and John E. LLOYD. R. E. LLOYD, R. W. HUGHES, and William R. HUGHES are
working a quarry about a mile northwest from Hydeville, called the Little
Pond quarry. This is a mill stock quarry, while the others last above mentioned
produce only roofing slate.
Simeon ALLEN erected
the two mills which he still operates in 1867, and began the manufacture
of slate. He works four or five openings in Fairhaven, and employs about
twenty-five men in the mills and fifty in the quarries.
R. C. COLBURN began the
manufacture of marbelized slate mantels in 1869, and continued until 1876,
when the Stewart Marbleized Slate Mantel Company was organized with T.
B. STEWART, president, and R. C. COLBURN, treasurer.
The Vermont Union Slate
Company was established in September, 1871, by the present proprietors,
A. R. VAIL and son, M. H. VAIL. They occupy the old foundry erected by
Israel DAVEY, and finish and marbleize slate. They have one quarry and
employ from fifty to sixty men.
The business which William
P. FOX now does in finishing slate and manufacturing slate mantels was
established in 1873 by Thomas FOX, who erected the finishing mill at that
time. The present proprietor succeeded him is 1875, and in 1883 erected
the rough stock mill opposite the station, which is now leased BY COLMAN
& WESCOTT. Mr. FOX keeps busy some twelve or fourteen hands.
The Riverside Slate Company
was incorporated in the spring of 1881, with a capital stock of $6,000.
The first president was Andrew PIERCE, and the first secretary and treasurer,
Bishop MERRIAM. The mill was built the same year. The quarry, about eighty
rods east of the mill, has two beds, and produces green and variegated
slate. About thirty men are employed. The present officers of the company
are Thomas GREER, president; B. MERRIAM, treasurer; A. H. MERRIAM, secretary.
The Hazard Slate Company
was incorporated August 31, 1882, and purchased their property of N. R.
REED, who had operated the grist and saw-mill, still run by this company
since 1866. The officers of the company are: W. F. PARKER, president; S.
L. HAZARD, treasurer and superintendent of works; S. L. HAZARD, jr., clerk.
The capital stock is $80,000. About sixty men are employed. The quarry,
which is located on the Scotch Hill vein, produces purple slate. The grist
and saw-mill were remodeled at the time the company took possession, and
the building now occupied as a shirt-factory was built anew. The buildings
are constructed on the most approved plans. The grist-mill has three run
The business of sawing
marble was here commenced in the fall of 1845 by William C. KITTREDGE,
Alonson ALLEN and Joseph ADAMS, under the firm name of Kittredge, Allen
& Adams. ALLEN & ADAMS continued the business after October, 1846,
until 1852. In the latter year, Ira C. ALLEN entered into partnership with
them. From 1854 to 1869, Alonson ALLEN having withdrawn from the firm,
the name was Adams & Allen. In the fall of, 1869 Joseph Adams purchased
the entire interest, and took in his son, A. N. ADAMS, from whose history
we have drawn largely.
The Valido Marble Company,
chartered in 1883, with a capital stock of $300,000, is the legitimate
successor to the business thus established BY KITTREDGE, ALLEN & ADAMS.
The enterprise probably belongs to Rutland (as the quarries are in West
Rutland), and is mentioned in that chapter.
J. WARNER began
the manufacture of marble and granite monuments, etc., in Fairhaven in
September, 1884. For further details of this great and growing industry,
see preceeding chapter on the marble and slate deposits of the county,
and later biographies of Alonson ALLEN, R. HANGER, and others.
The manufacture of brick
now carried on by E. L. & D. A. ALLEN, was begun in 1855 by Timothy
and John MILLER, who were succeeded in 1858 by Otis EDDY & Son. The
ALLEN brothers followed in 1871. This firm has made over 800,000 brick
in a season, and average about 300,000. The clay from the yard, which is
about eighty rods northeast the railroad station, is remarkably free from
lime and all other impurities. They now have two kilns in use.
E. L. ALLEN began to
manufacture oil safes in 1863, in an old building near the depot, where
the coal house now is. The ALLEN Oil Safe Company, now carrying on the
business, consists of D. L. and E. A. ALLEN, and was formed in 1871. The
business has been carried on in the present building since 1879, when it
was built. For fourteen years before that the shirt factory building was
used. The safes will hold from fifty to fifteen hundred gallons of oil,
and contain from one compartment to twelve. They are sold throughout the
United States and Mexico and lead the market.
The shirt factory of
Miller, Hall & Hartwell (Justus MILLER, William L. HALL, Charles
E. HARTWELL, Frank B. MILLER) was established here in 1883 by Miller &
Bingham, of Troy. In November, 1885, the present firm succeeded to the
business. About 2,000 dozen shirts are made here per month. The main business
is at Troy.
The firm of Hill &
Dedrick (E. R. HILL and F. M. DEDRICK) manufacturers of wagons and carriages,
was formed in April, 1885. They employ about ten hands, and are reasonably
confident of increasing to a large business.
The merchant of longest
standing now doing business in the place is Thomas HUGHES, who began to
deal in boots and shoes here as early as 1856. He erected the building
he now occupies in 1880. His son, W. T. HUGHES, began in a small way to
sell books, stationery, etc., in 1879, and has now a business of gratifying
R. E. LLOYD established
a store here in 1859, and continued alone until 1882, when he associated
with himself his present partner, J. T. HUGHES. They carry a stock of from
$12,000 to $15,000.
Albert B. HARRINGTON
commenced the manufacture and sale of harnesses October 8, 1860, in the
building which he still occupies.
PITKIN & Brother,
dealers in hardware, tinware, glassware, etc., are successors to a business
founded by W. W. PITKIN and F. W. MOSELY, in the spring of 1861. The present
partnership was formed in the fall of 1865. Their store was formerly on
River street, but they removed to their present location after being burned
out in 1878.
Dr. Clark SMITH, druggist,
commenced in an old building on the same site as the one he now occupies,
in 1864, as successor to A. H. STOWE. The present building was erected
F. H. SHEPARD succeeded
Joseph JENNINGS in a grocery and general mercantile trade in 1866.
The extensive mercantile
business of Goodrich & Adams (E. L. GOODRICH and A. N. ADAMS), was
established in 1854 by Adams & Allen, who then erected their store
building on the site of Colonel LYON's old hotel barn. The firm of Goodrich
& Adams was formed in the spring of 1868.
O. A. PECK, furniture,
sewing machines, picture frames, glass, etc., started in business in Fairhaven
in 1869, succeeding a small business headed by S. N. PECK. He is also and
has always been undertaker.
Thomas MCGUIRE began
to trade in general merchandise here in 1869.
Wilbur F. PARKER, dealer
in jewelry and fancy good, began his trade in Rutland in 1862, removing
to Fairhaven in 1871. He occupied his present store building five years.
He carries a large and well selected assortment of goods, the largest stock,
indeed, in the county outside of Rutland.
O. Reed & Son (Roland
C. REED) succeeded, in 1883, C. REED, extensive dealer in coal and lumber,
who established the trade in April, 1874. In 1880 he erected a large and
commodious coal-house near the railroad and so situated that the cars are
switched on to the ground floor of the building and their contents dumped
into the basement. The coal comes direct from the mines of the Delaware
& Hudson Canal Company in Carbondale, Pa. The firm sells about 3,000
tons of coal per annum, and deal quite largely, also, in lime and cement.
The grocery trade of
M. & P. MALEY was founded by the present proprietors May 1, 1876, on
a capital of about two hundred dollars. In 1884 they had an income of about
The general mercantile
business which H. S. HUMPHREY. and I. W. PARKHURST now carry on under the
firm style of Humphrey & Parkhurst, was established in 1866 by E. D.
HUMPHREY and R. R. WILLIAMS. Their successors, who preceded the present
firm, were E. D. Humphrey & Co. They value their stock at from $10,000
to $15,000 according to the season.
E. H. LEWIS, dealer in
stoves, etc., bought out M. LAMPHERE in 1879.
R. O. JONES started his
cigar store here in March, 1880.
S. D. WILLIAMS commenced
trading in boots and shoes in his present building in 1880. His son, E.
J. WILLIAMS, became associated with him in 1882.
W. H. LLOYD, who carries
a stock of dry goods and groceries worth about $7,000, opened his store
here in April, 1880, after a course of mercantile experience which fitted
him for success.
A. L. KELLOGG started
his jewelry store here in 1881, having then just returned from the West.
He was eight years proprietor of a drug store here after 1867.
On the 1st of December,
1881, John H. FOY became successor to E. PRESTON as dealer in harnesses,
trunks, bags, etc. PRESTON established the business a few months previously.
M. P. MEAD has conducted
the drug business in town since February, 1884, having then succeeded George
N. HARRIS. Harris followed A. L. KELLOGG, before mentioned.
The BURDETT Brothers
established their grocery business April 1, 1884.
The enterprising firm
of clothiers, Bardy, Babbitt & Co., composed of N. R. BARDY, George
D. BABBITT and F. M. WILSON (manager), was formed and their business established
on the 19th of April, 1884, on the corner of Main and River streets. On
the 1st of April, 1885, they removed into their present quarters on the
corner of Liberty and Main streets. They carry an average stock of about
W. V. ROBERTS and David
MORRIS, general merchants, entered into partnership in March, 1885, and
established their present business at that time.
The general store of
H. M. REDFIELD was first opened October 8, 1884, by E. W. BAKER. W. W.
Dawley & Co., of Rutland, then kept it for a few weeks as auxiliary
to their business at the last named place. Mr. REDFIELD succeeded them
in May, 1835.
O. A. PROCTOR established
the grocery trade in 1880, which W. H. PROCTOR has conducted since July
18, 1885. W. L. HOWARD, the present postmaster of Fairhaven, has dealt
in books and stationery since he began the performance of official duties,
on September 1, 1885.
A. W. LANGMAID and F.
H. KIMBALL, under the firm name of Langmaid & Co., opened a confectionery
store on the 2d day of December, 1885.
The First National Bank
of Fairhaven was organized as the immediate result of a meeting held at
the hall of ADAMS & ALLEN on the 20th day of January, 1864, with a
capital of $100,000. The first board of directors were Joseph SHELDON,
Zenas C. ELLIS, Ira C. ALLEN, Joseph ADAMS, Pitt W. HYDE, Charles CLARK,
John BALIS, Benjamin S. NICHOLS, Chauncey S. RUMSEY. The presidents have
been as follows: Joseph SHELDON, Joseph ADAMS, Zenas ELLIS (elected in
1878) and the present incumbent, Rodney C. ABELL, who was elected in the
fall of 1883. The cashiers have been Merritt CLARK, of Poultney, Samuel
W. BAILEY, and the present cashier, elected in 1873, E. H. PHELPS. The
present directors are R. C. ABELL, M. MAYNARD, F. A. BARROWS, Cyrus JENNINGS,
C. S. RUMSEY, George W. DIKEMAN and A. N. ADAMS. During the twenty-one
years of its history this bank has without an omission paid semiannual
dividends of never less than four per cent, and reaching sometimes five
per cent; the aggregate of these payments being $189,456. The surplus fund
is $20,000, and the undivided profits are over $21,000, making the net
total profits since organization, $213,993.07.
The Allen National Bank
was organized on the 2d day of April, 1879, with a capital of $50,000.
The first directors were Ira C. ALLEN, S. ALLEN, Norman PECK, Owen OWENS
M. L. LEE, C. C. KNIGHT and Ellis ROBERTS. The first officers were as follows:
Ira C. ALLEN, president; S. ALLEN, vice-president; Charles R. ALLEN, cashier.
The present directors are Ira C. ALLEN, S. ALLEN, C. C. KNIGHT, Owen OWENS,
Charles R. ALLEN. The deposits in this institution amount to $42,509. The
surplus fund is $5,000, and the other undivided profits aggregate $37,055.91.
Most of the insurance
business of the place is done now by W. H. PRESTON, agent for the Continental,
Sun, Niagara, and New England companies, and E. D. HUMPHREY, agent for
the Northern, Queen and Commercial Union companies.
Concerning the history
of the press in Fairhaven, we cannot do better than quote the following
extract from Adams's History of Fairhaven:
“After Matthew LYON's
time the business of printing and publishing was, not carried on in Fairhaven
until the year 1853. At that time, De Witt LEONARD, son of Ira LEONARD,
residing near the State line, then a young lad, commenced printing for
his own amusement, upon a press of his own construction. He issued several
numbers of a small monthly paper called The Banner, in 1854 and '55, using
second-hand type procured from the Whitehall Chronicle office. Being encouraged
by having several jobs given him, he ordered new type from time to time
from the founders, until in a few years he had quite a complete assortment
of jobbing type. In 1856 he printed and bound for the author, Edward L.
ALLEN, a ‘Slater's Guide’, a table for the computation of roofing slate.
This was the first book printed in town subsequent to Matthew LYON's time.
One number of a small sheet called the Golden Sheaf was issued in January,
1861. Business had increased so much that in November, 1861, he purchased
a Gordon press, the first power press ever brought into the town. Being
engaged in bookselling, he issued a small quarterly or monthly sheet, as
an advertising medium, in 185657.
"In September, 1863,
the first number of the Fairhaven Advertiser was issued as an advertising
medium for the merchants and business men of the town. It was circulated
gratuitously, and other numbers were issued from time to time, as the demands
of advertisers required, until Wm. Q. BROWN purchased the office, when
it was made a regular monthly publication. Its circulation was 1,000 copies.
"Among various other
works emanating from this office was a Quarterly Journal, containing from
thirty-two to thirty-six octavo pages, published by Ripley Female College,
commenced in February, 1865, and continued until February, 1886, when Mr.
LEONARD sold his press to MCLEAN and ROBBINS, of Rutland, and the type
and other material lay unused until the July following, when Wm. Q. BROWN
purchased it and removed it to his dwelling-house on Washington street,
and adding a new Gordon press, continued the job printing business and
made the Rutland County Advertiser a regular monthly paper. Mr. BROWN,
wishing to remove from the town, sold his office back to De Witt LEONARD
in April, 1968, who conducted it three months, until July 1, when he sold
it to Messrs. JONES and GROSE. Through the efforts of the gentlemen last
named a weekly paper, styled the People's Journal, was started. A number
of the leading business men in town assisted them in purchasing a new Taylor
cylinder press and an outfit of type and material for the newspaper. The
first regular issue of this paper was dated September 5, 1868. Its editor
was Rev. P. Franklin JONES, who was also pastor of the Fairhaven Baptist
Church, and H. Seward GROSE, Mr. Jones's son-in-law, was publisher. A part
of the second story of Norman PECK's dwelling and the second story of his
new building, adjoining the drug store, were occupied as the printing office.
After being connected with the paper a few months, Mr. JONES retired from
the editorial chair, and Mr. GROSE became editor as well as publisher.
"In the summer of 1869,
payments not being promptly made, the office fell into the hands of the
citizens who had assisted them, by whom it was sold in, July, 1869, to
De Witt LEONARD and E. H. PHELPS, who continued the publication of the
paper under the firm name of Leonard & Phelps, the name of the paper
having been changed to The Fairhaven Journal, E. H. PHELPS, editor. This
paper is still being published by these gentlemen, and has obtained a good
circulation in Rutland and Addison counties and the neighboring towns in
New York State."
The Fairhaven Weekly
Era, ably edited by John METCALF, has had but a brief existence, but promises
much for the future.
For biographical notices
of deceased attorneys and physicians the reader is referred to Chapters
XVI and XVII.
The oldest living attorney
in Fairhaven is Hon. Cyrenius M. WILLARD, who was born in Pawlet, Vt.,
on the 13th of September, 1820. He studied law with G. W. HARMON, of Pawlet,
and was admitted to practice on the 19th of September, 1841. He practiced
in Fairhaven from May, 1842, until 1854, when he accepted a position as
cashier of the Castleton National Bank, and repaired to that village. He
was a member of the State Senate in 1856-57, from 1864 to 1872 practiced
law in Castleton. From 1872 to 1874 he resided in Boston, and from then
until 1884 lived part of the time in Pittsford. He resumed his practice
in Fairhaven in July, 1884. For the ten years preceding 1872 he was judge
of probate for the Fairhaven district.
George M. Fuller was
born in Pittsfield, Vt., on the 10th of August, 1842, worked on a farm
during his boyhood days, attending the common schools and the academy at
West Randolph, Vt., began the study of law in the office of the Hon. C.
H. JOYCE on the 7th of April, 1867, remained there until September 4, 1867,
when he entered the law department of the University at Albany, graduated
in May, 1868, and was admitted to the bar at Albany on the 18th day of
May, 1868. He then returned to Rutland and again resumed his studies in
the office of Hon. C. H. Joyce. At the September term of the Rutland County
Court in 1868, he was admitted to the Rutland county bar. On the 2d day
of October, 1868, he came to Fairhaven and entered the law office of H.
G. WOOD; here he remained in Mr. WOOD's employ until the spring of 1872,
when he formed a co-partnership with Mr. WOOD, which continued until the
next October, at which time Mr. WOOD removed from the State and Mr. FULLER
succeeded him in the law business, was elected State attorney in September,
1876, and held the office for two years; was elected a member of the General
Assembly in 1878, was chairman of the committee on rules and also a member
of the judiciary committee of the House of Representatives.
W. H. Preston was born
in Fairhaven on the 29th of March, 1860. He studied law with George M.
FULLER and was admitted to practice in March, 1883. He has always
practiced in Fairhaven.
Dr. T. E. WAKEFIELD was
born on the 15th of March, 1821, at Manchester, Vt. He studied medicine
with Dr. Charles BACCHUS, of Fairhaven, and was admitted to practice in
1843. He has in reality practiced medicine here since 1842. Dr. C. H. CARPENTER
was born July 23, 1832, in Whiting, Addison county, Vt. He studied medicine
with Professor PERKINS, of the Castleton Medical College, and was graduated
from the Burlington Medical College in 1862, and from the medical department
of the University of New York in the winter of 1874-75. He commenced
practicing in Fairhaven in 1862. Dr. W. H. MOREHOUSE was born in Brandon,
Vt., July 29, 1845. He studied medicine with Dr. O. C. DYER, of Brandon,
and Dr. T. E. WAKEFIELD, of Fairhaven, and in 1877 was graduated from the
medical department of the University of Vermont. He came at once to Fairhaven.
Dr. R. LAPE was born November 1, 1854, at Sand Lake, Rensselaer county,
N. Y. He studied medicine with Dr. William H. Nichols, of West Sand Lake,
and was graduated from Albany Medical College in 1877. After a few months
practice with Dr. NICHOLS he came to Fairhaven in 1877.
Dr. A. S. MURRAY was
born in Orwell, Vt., July 5, t8¢9. After taking a practical course
of study with Dr. SPARK, of Burlington, he attended the Hahnemann Medical
College in Chicago, from which he graduated in the spring of 1882. Previous
to that, however, he attended lectures for two years at the university
in Burlington. He began to practice in Fairhaven in the spring of 1882.
He is of the homeopathic school.
Dr. E. G. ROBERTS was
born in Carnarvon, North Wales, on the 25th of August, 1850. He studied
medicine in Belfast College of the Royal University of Ireland and then
practiced for eight years in Wales. In the spring of 1884 he was graduated
from the University of Pennsylvania, and came immediately to Fairhaven
Dr. Clark SMITH, who
has been mentioned as a druggist of long standing, has practiced dentistry
in Fairhaven since t857.
O. H. MOREHOUSE was born
on the 9th of June, 1844 in Brandon, Vt., studied dentistry with Dr. F.
PIERCE, of Brandon ; practiced a year in Rutland and removed to Fairhaven
G. L. GUTTERSON was born
on the 12th of November, 1851, in Andover, Vt. He was graduated from the
Boston Dental College in the spring of 1883, and came at that time to Fairhaven.
Although Fairhaven boasts
now of but one prominent hotel, it has in earlier days been well supplied
with these conveniences. Some mention has already been made of the earliest
taverns, but the Vermont Hotel deserves in this place a brief sketch. It
stood on the site of the Knight block and was in part constructed from
the old dwelling-house of Colonel Matthew LYON, which was the first building
erected on this site, and which constituted the rear extension of the Vermont
Hotel. S. FISH bought the lot and the old building which stood thereon,
of Israel DAVEY on the 1st of April, 1858, and erected the three-story
brick building, which he denominated the Vermont Hotel. In March, 1866,
David OFFENSEND succeeded Mr. FISH, and from 1868 to 1870, David MCBRIDE
kept it. In April, 1870, Charles C. KNIGHT, who had already purchased it,
entered into possession, and he continued the owner until the disastrous
fire on the night of November 8, 1878. This fire originated in a boot and
shoe store kept by B. MERRIAM, and caused a loss of about $30,000, though
the property was well insured. Mr. KNIGHT thereupon erected the present
commodious block which bears his name.
The Park View House was
erected in the summer of 1882 at a cost of about $22,000, by the Fairhaven
Hotel Company, a stock company composed at that time of the following gentlemen
: Ira C. ALLEN, A. N, ADAMS, Charles R. ALLEN, C. C. KNIGHT, Simeon ALLEN,
I. W. PARKHURST, E. L. GOODRICH, N. R. REED, R. E. LLOYD, M. H. VAIL, James
COULMAN, M. MAYNARD, W. F. PARKER, O. A. PECK, John ;D. WOOD, PITKIN &
Brother, W. H. STREETER, W. H. REYNOLDS, H. S. HUMPHREY, Mrs. Hugh G. HUGHES,
E. L. ALLEN, E. D. JONES, all but the last two of whom still retain their
interest in the concern. The first landlord, for not quite a year, was
Vincent C. MEYERHOFFER, now proprietor of the Killington House on the summit
of Killington Peak. Russell W. HYDE followed him one year. The present
landlords, RUTLEDGE Brothers (John E. and David J.) came March 17, 1884,
from Brandon, where they had been keeping the Douglas House. The house
is well built of brick, heated by steam, and is calculated for the pleasure
and convenience of guests. There are sixty sleeping apartments.
A hotel called the Adams
House stood on the site now covered by the Park View House, before the
latter was built, but had not been opened to the public for a number of
The Fairmount Trotting
Park, situated a little to the south of the village, on Prospect street,
was constructed in 1874, and is now the property of Edward LEONARD. The
Western Vermont Agricultural Society have held two fairs on this ground,
with remarkable success, and have erected suitable buildings thereon. The
capital stock of the society is $2,000.
This building, which
has served the purpose at once of a graded school and a town hall, was
erected by the town in the latter part of 1861, and dedicated in March,
1861. The town meetings are no longer held in it. The present principal
of the school is Professor George B. WAKEMAN, who came in the spring of
1885. There are seven departments well graded in the school, and an attendance
at times of more than five hundred pupils.
of Rutland County Vermont with Illustrations and
Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
by H. Y. Smith & W. S. Rann, Syracuse, N. Y.
Mason & Co., Publishers 1886
Of The Town Of Fairhaven
by Karima ~ 2002
Gazetteer of the Town of Fairhaven, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82
Business Directory of the Town of Fairhaven Village, Rutland County, VT.,
Business Directory of the Town of Fairhaven Outside of Corporation, Rutland
County, VT., 1881-82