town lies on the southeastern border of Rutland county, in latitude 43°
29' and longitude 4° 14’ east from Washington it is bounded on the
north by Shrewsbury and Plymouth; east by Ludlow; south by Weston and Mount
Tabor, and west by Wallingford and Mount Tabor. It was not one of the original
townships. In surveying the towns on the east and west sides of the Green
Mountains, there was left between Ludlow on the east and Wallingford on
the west, a gore of land, which became known as "Jackson's Gore," from
Abraham JACKSON, one of the original proprietors and an early settler.
When the General Assembly,
at its session of October, 1780, resolved to raise money to place Vermont
on a war footing, for resistance to the decree of Congress abolishing its
government, three expedients were adopted, viz.: The confiscation and sale
of the lands of all British adherents, thus raising the sum of £430,000;
second, the sale of all ungranted lands; and third, the issue of money.
Under the second expedient this gore was transferred to Abraham Jackson
and twenty-nine associated residents of Wallingford. This charter of transfer
is dated February 23, 1781, and reads as follows:
That a certain tract or gore of land, lying and being situate on the cast
side of Wallingford, containing by estimation nine thousand seven hundred
acres, be granted to Abraham Jackson, esq., and his associates to the number
of thirty. To be annexed to, and incorporated with the town of Wallingford."
The fees for this grant
were nine pounds per right, realizing the sum of two hundred and seventy
The present town of Mount
Holly was incorporated at the October session of the Legislature of 1792,
held in Rutland. The town as incorporated comprised Jackson's Gore with
all that portion of the town of Ludlow lying west of the highest ridge
of what is known as "Ludlow Mountain," and on the west a tract one mile
in width, or two tiers of lots, from the east side of the town of Wallingford.
The town lies in a sort
of shallow basin, or depression, in the Green Mountains, and in the old
days of stage coaching over the road from Burlington to Boston afforded
the best place for crossing the Green Mountains south of Montpelier. The
land was originally heavily timbered with maple, beech, birch, spruce and
hemlock, with a lesser quantity of fir, basswood, black and white ash,
wild cherry and poplar. By far the greater portion of the old forests have;
fallen before the axes of the inhabitants.
The rock is mostly Green
Mountain gneiss. In the extreme southern part limestone is found from which
a good quality of lime was formerly made. The soil is largely a strong
and somewhat heavy loam; while clay beds are found in several localities,
suitable for brick making. Brick were made in a yard near the site of the
Mount Holly railroad station many years ago in quantities sufficient for
the then comparatively small demands of this and neighboring towns.
Mill River is the only
considerable stream; it rises in the extreme southwest part part of the
town, flows northerly and crosses a corner of Wallingford, emptying into
Otter Creek in the town of Clarendon. There are numerous smaller streams,
all of which on the western slope empty into Mill River; those on the eastern
slope find their way to Black River and thus into the Connecticut.
The surface of the town
is uneven and hilly, though less so than most of the mountain towns; there
is less waste land in it than in the majority of towns in the State, in
spite of its situation on and near the mountain; it has no swamps, no rugged
ledges and no abrupt and inaccessible mountains. The soil is better adapted
to grass than grain, and not very much of the latter is raised. The farmers
generally find it more profitable to keep their land in grass and devote
their attention to the raising of stock or the manufacture of butter and
cheese, than to even raise their own breadstuffs. Oats are, however, raised
in considerable quantities, but mainly for home consumption.
The first settlement
on Jackson's Gore was made by Abraham JACKSON, and Stephen, Ichabod G.
and Chauncey CLARK, of Connecticut, in the year 1782. In the following
year they were joined by Jacob WILCOX and Benjamin G. DAWLEY, from Rhode
Island, and soon after by Jonah, Amos and Ebenezer IVES, also from Connecticut;
they were gradually followed by others. The first settlers in that part
of the town which was formerly Ludlow were Joseph GREEN, Nathaniel PINGREY,
Abram CROWLEY, David BENT and Silas PROCTOR, who came in about the year
1786. They were soon joined by John and Jonas HADLEY, Joseph and Jonathan
PINGREY, Richard LAWRENCE and Samuel COOK. These two settlements, though
only about three miles apart, were, according to Dr. John CROWLEY (from
whose sketch many of these facts are taken), "for some time ignorant of
their proximity to each other. Those on the west side, or the 'Gore,' supposed
the settlement nearest them was in the valley of Otter Creek, while those
on the east side thought their nearest neighbors were on Black River in
Ludlow. They were separated by an unbroken wilderness, with not even a
'blazed' footpath between them, each having reached their settlements from
opposite directions. They are said to have discovered each other in the
following manner: Some of the settlers on the east side started out on
Sunday morning to look for stray cattle; after traveling westward some
two miles, they were about to take another direction, when they were surprised
by hearing the barking of a dog still farther west. They followed the sound,
and soon came to the log cabin of Ichabod G. CLARK, which stood some forty
rods northwesterly from the spot where the Mount Holly railroad depot now
stands. At this cabin the people of the 'Gore' were on that day assembled
for religious worship. The surprise of each party was equaled only by their
gratification at finding neighbors so near. They at once set about providing
means of intercommunication by marked trees and subsequently by primitive
roads; and the acquaintance thus begun soon ripened into friendship and
constant intercourse, and resulted in the union of the two settlements
into one town, as before described."
The CLARKS were, perhaps,
the most prominent family in the organization of the town and its later
improvement. Stephen CLARK settled on a farm at what is known as the North
Parish and near the Baptist Church, owning all of the land in the vicinity
of what is now North Mount Holly. His farm has since been divided into
several estates. None of his descendants is living in the town. Stephen
CLARK became a man of influence and was given the honor of naming the town,
calling it after Mount Holly in Connecticut, from which place he emigrated
to Vermont. He was a son of Job CLARK, of Wallingford, and married Rachel
JACKSON, of the same town. Their sons were Lyman, Miles, Russel, Asahel,
Stephen, Orville, Homer; and daughters, Fanny, Orpha and Lorry. All but
two or three of the eldest of these were born in Mount Holly. Mr. CLARK
prospered here for some years, but met with reverses for which he was not
responsible, and removed to Ohio in the fall of 1815. Miles and Lyman had
already preceded him to that then new State. Asahel settled at Glens Falls,
N. Y. In Ohio the family prospered and became prominent. Asahel CLARK,
during his life in Glens Falls, became eminent as an attorney, and General
Orville CLARK, who located at Sandy Hill, N. Y., became conspicuous in
military life, as well as in politics.
Abraham JACKSON was one
of the Quaker settlers of Mount Holly, and Nelson W. COOK has furnished
us with the following sketch of his life: He was born at Cornwall, Conn.,
in 1750, and came to Wallingford with his father in 1773. He was made the
first town clerk of the town and the first representative, holding the
latter office in the years 1778, 1780, 1781, 1785, 1789 and 1790. In 1781
he was successful in securing the large grant of land from the Legislature
which has always borne his name and forms a large part of the town of Mount
Holly. He was a large owner in this tract, his possession including a small
lake and valuable water privileges at its outlet. Here he erected the first
saw-mill in the town. The first house he built stood on the elevated land
east of Mechanicsville, now owned by Elwin DICKERMAN. Mr. JACKSON sold
the house to a Mr. MORRISON in 1800 and built the house directly north,
now owned by George MEAD. He possessed in a large degree those great moral
and religious principles by which men's lives should be guided; and it
was at his house that the meetings of the first religious society in the
town were held. It was in his "spacious kitchen" that they sat in silent
worship. He removed to "the Gore" in 1791 and was chosen moderator of the
meeting that organized the town; he was also its first representative in
1793. In 1810 he sold out his real estate and removed to northern New York.
It will, perhaps, be
as well to give Mr. COOK's notes of other prominent early Quakers of this
town in this connection: Stephen BAKER came from Rhode Island in 1790 and
settled first in Danby, removing from thereto Mount Holly. His wife was
Susanna MATHEWSON. He returned to Rhode Island for a few years, afterwards
returning to Danby, where he died in 1858, at the age of eighty years.
He had a family of eleven children.
Peter BAKER, a brother
of Stephen, came from Rhode Island in 1804 and settled in Mount Holly.
He died in 1852, aged seventy-eight years. His children were Lydia, Candace,
Jonathan, Sanford, Stephen; Willard, Amasa and Nathan L. Jonathan married
Anna HASMORE, of Mount Holly. His children were Marcellus (married Alvira,
daughter of Edmund WHEELER); Ann Eliza, who married Frederick PARMETER;
James, who lives in Michigan, and Mary Ann.
Samuel COOK was born
in Preston, Conn., May 18, 1765. He married Sally CHAMBERLAIN, of Wethersfield,
Ct., January 1, 1791. He was the third son of Thaddeus and Zervia (HINCKLEY)
COOK, and the fifth in descent from his Puritan ancestor, Gregory COOK,
of Cambridge, Mass. He left home after he became of age, his father giving
him $1,000 with which to purchase land. He made his purchase in Ludlow,
clearing a large portion of it, on which he always lived. He was a successful
farmer and gave considerable attention to stock; raising, and improved
his farm in various ways, with good buildings, fruit trees, etc. He early
joined the Quakers and was one of the strictest and most conscientious
of that sect. When the town of Mount Holly was organized he was elected
to "take a list of the polls and ratable estates of the inhabitants of
the town." In 1793 he was elected grand juryman, and in 1795, selectman.
He was a lieutenant in the militia until he joined the Quakers, when he
resigned. He never accepted office after connecting himself with the Quakers.
He lived a quiet, industrious life, and raised a large family, as follows:
HINCKLEY, born October 27, 1792; Wyatt, born February 3, 1794; Thaddeus,
born May 31, 1795; Sabrina, born May 28, 1797; Chauncey, born April 27,
1800; Lumas, born February 21, 1802; Mary, born March 14, 1804; Uriah,
born September 12, 1806; Anson, born February 25, 1809; Julia Elma, born
August 1, 1812. The three daughters are living and two sons, Wyatt and
While the Quakers of
this town were not very numerous, they formed an influential and respected
portion of the community.
Jedediah HAMMOND was
for many years a leading man in this town. He came from Old Bedford, Mass.,
in 1770, and settled on "the Gore." He was for several years constable
and collector and held other town offices; was representative six years
and justice of the peace sixteen years. He became quite noted as a "pettifogger,"
and had a large business before the justices' courts. He held the office
of deputy sheriff early in the century and had the custody of James ANTHONY
in 1813, on the night before his expected execution for the murder of Joseph
GREEN, as detailed in the preceding chapter of Rutland. Anthony hung himself
in his cell and Mr. HAMMOND was charged with being accessory to the crime;
but the charge was not substantiated. He died November 20, 1849, at the
age of eighty-three years.
John CROWLEY, second
son of Abraham CROWLEY, was a prominent pioneer and lived in the east part
of the town. He was elected town clerk in 1801, and held the office nine
years; he held every other office in the gift of the town, except that
of constable; was representative six years, and justice of the peace twenty-five
years from 1802. He removed to St. Lawrence county, N. Y. in 1827 and died
there September 12, 1840, aged seventy-four. He was the father of Dr. John
CROWLEY, for a sketch of whom see Chapter XVI.
Stephen TUCKER was a
prominent early resident and died December 26, 1828, aged sixty-four he
was town clerk four years and held other responsible positions; was twelve
years justice of the peace and held the office when he died. He was an
honorable and upright man; he lived one and a half miles west of Mechanicsville.
Deacon Edmund BRYANT
was an early settler and one of the substantial men of the town; particularly
prominent in religious affairs; was one of the originators of the Baptist
Church and its first presiding officer. He died December 19, 1839, aged
seventy-one years, honored by the entire community.
A similar record may
be given of Deacon Isaac DICKERMAN, who was for many years a leading citizen
and a pillar in the Baptist Church. He, moreover, held very many of the
town offices and discharged their duties with the utmost faithfulness.
Hon. Nathan T. SPRAGUE
settled in the town in 1810 and for many years wielded a strong influence
in all its affairs. He engaged in mercantile business, in which he was
very successful, during the most of the time of his residence here, and
also became a large land-owner and carried on farming extensively. He held
many offices; represented the town seven years and was justice of the peace
many years. He became the wealthiest man who lived in Mount Holly; but
removed to Brandon in 1833 and several times represented that town in the
Legislature and held the office of assistant judge of the County Court.
Abel BISHOP was one of
the noted early schoolmasters of this town - one of the first to teach
here and followed the occupation twenty years. He was epresentative four
years and justice of the peace. He removed to western New York in 1825.
Edward PARMETER, father
of Frank, came to Mechanicsville in 1836 and was a respected and useful
Among other inhabitants
in Mount Holly who were prominent in its affairs of whom we can give only
the briefest memoranda were Daniel JAQUITH, who located very early in the
extreme south part; and Phineas CARLTON near him. Joseph and Benjamin FROST,
who lived about a mile northward from Mechanicsvine. Hoxey BARBER and David
CHATTERTON who settled near the site of Bowlville. Alfred CROWLEY, who
lived on the place formerly occupied by his grandfather, Abraham CROWLEY.
Abel FOSTER, who settled on the place now occupied by Henry FOSTER, great-grandson
of Abel and son of William W., who removed to Springfield, Mass. Ebenezer
IVES, father of Allen, who still occupies the old place with his son. Jonah,
Amos and Jonathan were brothers of Ebenezer and came in 1781. Leumas TUCKER,
grandson of Stephen TUCKER before mentioned, who occupies the homestead;
and Stillman TUCKER, who, lives on the place formerly owned by his father,
Joseph TUCKER. Jonas HOLDEN, who lived on the place now occupied by his
grandson, Marvel HOLDEN. Aaron HORTON, who lived where his grandson, Darius,
now resides. Perry G. DAWLEY, father of L. DAWLEY, was the first male child
born in Mt. Holly. He settled on the farm now owned by D. G. DAWLEY, his
grandson, between the turnpike and "shunpike." Perry G. was the father
of eight boys and three girls; these are all dead excepting two sons, Perry
A. DAWLEY, now in Bowlville, and L. DAWLEY.
Others who have lived
in the town and performed noble work in clearing the lands and making homes
in the wildernees, were Thomas and Asa WHITE, Joseph BIXBY, Abel FARWELL,
Job TODD, Asa and Jesse SAWYER, Edmund and James TARBELL, Enoch JAQUITH,
Royal, John, George and Walter CROWLEY, Samuel HOSMER, John CHANDLER, William
and Jacob EARLE, William GRAVES, Isaac FISH, John MOORS, Zacheus PRESCOTT,
Jacob WHITE, John RANDALL, Jethro JACKSON, John and Samuel RUSSELL, Pardon
CRANDALL, Perry and Alexander WELLS, Nathan DOOLITTLE, Seth LIVINGSTON,
Elijah DAVENPORT, Martin COLE, Thomas DAVIS, Joseph KINNEE, and probably
others whose names and deeds are in the past.
The inhabitants of Mount
Holly have gone forward in advancing the material interests of their community,
with little to disturb or interrupt them. The long-remembered cold season
of 1816-17 had less effect in this town than in many others; a good deal
of hardship was, however, experienced from the prevailing scarcity of provisions
Dr. CROWLEY, in his sketch,
from which we have liberally drawn, notes the occurrence of a number of
casualties, the first of which was the accidental death of Lyman DICKERMAN,
in 1825, by being thrown from his carriage. In 18__ Silas PROCTOR, jr.,
was killed by a falling limb, while felling a tree in the woods; and the
next year Judson CHILSON, a young man, met his death in the same manner.
In the month of April, 1852, Silas E. COLE was drowned in Randall's Pond,
while rowing in company with Miss Tamar PRATT. The lady was saved by the
heroic conduct of D. L. DAWLEY, but the young man, being unable to swim,
was drowned. In April, 1853, a little son of Leander DERBY was drowned
in the flume of his father's tannery; he was an only child. In April, 1865,
Charles KIMBALL, while demolishing an old building, was fatally injured
by being struck on the head by a falling timber. During the great freshet
of October, 1869, Mrs. Esther BIXBY, wife of J. J. BIXBY, and her little
son, were standing near the bridge at the outlet of Randall's Pond, watching
her husband and A. C. RANDALL, as they were attempting to save some lumber.
Suddenly the ground gave way beneath them and they were precipitated into
the boiling current. The accident was witnessed by two men, who hastened
to the rescue and succeeded in saving Mrs. BIXBY; the boy was drowned.
On the morning of the 8th of June, 1870, a terrible railroad accident occurred
about half a mile west from Summit Station, where a culvert allowed the
current of a small stream to cross under the track. A heavy rain swelled
this stream into a torrent and the surroundings of the culvert were washed
out. The morning train, containing one express and passenger car with about
thirty passengers, passed upon the track at this point, which sank and
caused the overturning of the passenger car. Six men lost their lives in
this accident, and very many were injured.
In the Rebellion.
-- No town in Rutland county did more than Mount Holly, according to number
of population, for the support of the government in its struggle with rebellion,
or did it more freely. The following record gives the names of the soldiers
who enlisted from this town, and the organizations in which they served,
as nearly as it has been possible to obtain them.
Volunteers for three
years credited previous to the call for 300,000 volunteers of October 17,
1863. -- Dana AYRES, co. C, 6th regt.; Orson H. BENSON, George L. BRIGGS,
co. I, 5th regt.; George W. BRIGGS, co. B, 9th regt.; Rodolphus D. BRIGGS,
co. C, 6th regt.; Warren BRIGGS, co. G, 5th regt.; Nelson BROE, co. B,
9th regt.; Hiram D. BUSSELL, Barney CANNON, co. C, 6th regt.; Daniel CANNON,
co. I, 2d regt.; James CANNON, co. C, 5th regt.; Charles Champagne, co.
D, 7th regt.; Phillip E. CHASE, Co. I, 2d regt.; Reuben L. CHASE, co. A,
7th regt.; William V. CHASE, Co. G, 7th regt.; John CLARK, Co. F, 6th regt.;
John CLARK, Co. M, 11th regt.; Chauncey M. COLE, Co. C, 3d regt.; Major
S. DAMON, Co. G, 7th regt.; James DARCY, John DAY, Co. C, 4th regt.; Henry
M. FLETCHER, Co. B, 9th regt; Anson FOSTER, Co. C, 4th regt.; Daniel FROST,
Stephen FROST, Co. I, 2d regt.; David W. FULLER, Co. D, 9th regt.; Charles
S. GODDARD, Co. H, 11th regt.; Elisha M. GODDARD, Co. C, 6th regt.; Corwin
GRAVES, Edmund B. GRAVES, Stephen A. GRAVES, Co. B, 9th regt.; James C.
GROVER, Co. D, 9th regt.; John HALEY, jr., Co. C, 4th regt.; Elander HASKELL,
Co. C, 4th regt.; Thomas HEALEY, 4th regt.; Rufus K. HEADLE, Co. C, 10th
regt.; Oscar HEMENWAY, Co. H, 10th regt.; David N. HILL, Co. B, 9th regt.;
Isaac L. HILL, Co. 1, 5th regt.; James T. HOLMES, Co. I, 2d regt.; Henry
N. HORTON, Co. B, 9th regt.; Eli H. JOHNSON, Co. M. 11th regt.; John KING,
Co. C, 6th regt.; Michael LANE, Co. C,' 4th. regt.; Charles A. LOOMIS,
Co. G, 4th regt.; Patrick H. LYNCH, Co. D, 9th regt.; William H. LYNCH,
Co. C, 4th regt.; William S. MANDIGO, Co. I, 2d regt.; George H. MARTIN,
Goel R. MARTIN, Co. I, 5th regt.; Joshua B. MARTIN, Co. C, 10th regt.;
George C. MEAD, Co. H, 10th regt.; Henry P. MOREHOUSE, Co. C, 6th regt.;
Harrison H. MUDGE, Co. G, 5th regt.; Harry H. MUDGE, Charles W. NEWTON,
Co. B. 9th regt.; Henry NOLETT, Co. I, 2d regt.; Daniel C. PARKER, CO.
D, 9th regt.; Benjamin F. PARMENTER, Co. I, 2d regt.; Emerson J. PINGREE,
Co. C, 6th regt.; Robbins R. PINGREE, Co. D, 7th regt.; Mortimer PRATT,
Loren F. PRATT, Co. G, 7th regt.; Darius D. PRIEST, Ethan A. PRIEST, Co.
I, 2d regt.; Daniel RICHARDSON, Co. 1, 5th regt.; Ebenezer RICHARDSON,
Co. G, 9th regt.; William S. ROBERTS, Co. B, 9th regt.; Hoxey C. ROGERS,
Co. 1, 2d regt.; John SHARROW, Co. B, 9th regt.; Franklin W. STACY, Timothy
SULLIVAN, Co. C, 6th regt. ; Charles W. TARBELL, Co. G, 7th regt.; Henry
TOLE, Co. I, 2d regt.; Melville B. WARNER, Co. I, 5th regt.; William G.
WATTS, Co. C, 4th regt.; Martin WELLS, Co. D, 7th regt. ; Perry G. WELLS,
Co. I, 2d, regt.; Thomas WILSON, Co. C, 4th regt.; Edmund A. WOODARD, Co.
B, 9th regt.
Credits under call of
October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers and subsequent calls. Volunteers
for three years. -- Lawson E. BARBER, Aram CARYL, 1st bat.; Harrison EARLE,
Co. G, 5th regt.; Moses FISK, 3d bat.; Raymond J. FLETCHER, Co. G, 5th
regt.; George W. MANDIGO, Co. K, 11th regt.; Orrin N. MUDGE, Co. G, 5th
regt.; Isaac RANDALL, Co. B, 7th regt.; Truman M. SMITH, George S. WILLARD,
Co. G, 5th regt.
Volunteers for one year.
-- Lawson E. ARCHER, 9th regt.; Henry BARRETT, Austin L. BENSON, Edwin
B. CHASE, Joseph COLBY, David G. DORSETT, Co. I, 2d regt.; Anson FOSTER,
Co. C, 6th regt.; Daniel C. FREEMAN, Co. K, 7th regt.; Henry GLYNN, Co.
D, 9th regt.; George JEFFTS, 9th regt.; Franklin A. MOORE, Co. D, 9th regt.;
Charles W. PRIEST, Charles H. RAY, Hiram SIMONDS, Hiram L. WARNER, John
L. WILLEY, jr., Co. I, 2d regt.
-- Rodolphus D. BRIGGS, Barney CANNON, Co. C, 6th regt.; Lorenzo A. DODGE,
Myron E. HUBBARD, Co. I, 2d regt.; Perry LAMPHIRE; Henry MOREHOUSE, Co.
C, 6th regt.; George H. MARTIN, Co. I, 5th regt.; Hoxey C. ROGERS, Co.
I, 2d regt.; Perry G. WELLS, Co. I, 2d regt.
Not credited by name
Volunteers for nine months.
Eben J. BAILEY, jr., Henry BARRETT, Michael CLOWERY, Frederick W. CROWLEY,
Co. H, 14th regt.; Harrison H. EARLE, Morton A. IVES, John MAHON, Co. H,
14th regt.; Ryland R. PARKER, Co. C, 16th regt.; Nathan PRIEST, George
G. RICE, Charles W. SHEDD, Joseph F. SHEDD, Co. H, 14th regt.; Silas A.
THOMPSON, Co. B, 14th regt.
Furnished under draft.
-- Paid commutation, S. H. ACKLEY, Morgan S. CARYL, Langdon COOK, Oscar
B. COLE, Ambrose ESTERBROOKS, Wells A. FOSTER, Joshua E. GATES, Robert
HOSKINSON, P. B. LINCOLN, Daniel H. PARKER, Wesley PRIEST, Charles H. RAY,
Henry B. SMITH. Procured substitute, George P. HAMMOND. Entered service,
Daruis A. MARTIN, Co. E, 4th regt.
The following statement
shows the population of Mount Holly at the various dates named and indicates
a steady growth until the last decade: 1791,__ ; 1800, 668; 1810, 922;
1820, 1,157; 1830, 1,318; 1840, 1,356; 1850, 1,534; 1860, 1,522; 1870,
1,582; 1880, 1,390.
OFFICERS OF THE TOWN
Windsor NEWTON, town
clerk; S. H. ACKLEY, E. A. PRIEST, A. W. COOK, selectmen; Windsor NEWTON,
treasurer; J. D. S. PACKER, constable; George W. GRAVES, Michael CLOWERY,
H. C. CARPENTER, listers; I. L. HILL, Z. B. BABBITT, S. M. DICKERMAN, auditors;
Alfred CROWLEY, trustee; C. W. PRIEST, B. F. PARMENTER, N. B. PINNEY, fence
viewers; M. D. HARRINGTON, Hiland HOLDEN, grand jurors; George W. GRAVES,
M. J. HOLDEN, S. M. DICKERMAN, Henry LORD, Sylvester TUCKER, D. G. DAWLEY,
Willam B. HOSKISON, A. D. PECK, M. A. IVES, W. D. HOLDEN, Spencer PILLSBURY,
P. L. ALLARD, petit jurors; O. M. PELSUE, M. D. HARRINGTON, town grand
jurors; A. E. DOTY, inspector of leather; S. M. DICKERINAN. Henry PRATT,
Milan DICKERMAN, O. F. WHEELER, pound keepers; Edson HOLDEN, overseer poor;
Marshall TARBELL, surveyor of wood and lumber; Z. B. BABBITT, town superintendent;
J. D. S. PACKER, collector of taxes.
In preparing a history
of the churches of this town we can not do better than avail ourselves
of the very carefully written material of Rev. L., P. TUCKER, of Mechanicsville,
which was printed in the Vermont Tribune during the present year. This
material is indicated by quotation marks, and we have made such additions
as seem to be desirable:
common with other towns where its introduction has resulted in a ,more
permanent organization than this, the first resident minister was a Congregationalist
-- Rev. Silas L. BINGHAM. The exact date cannot be determined, but it was
about the year 1800. There is a vague tradition of a church built by the
society which was organized by him in 1802, but it lacks evidence and is
probably unfounded. If, however, it did exist, it was the first church
edifice in town. Meetings were, more probably, conducted in private dwellings
and barns, the house of Matthew WING, on the farm now owned by George W.
MEADS, being occupied for that purpose by this as well as, in after years,
other denominations. Here adults and children were baptized by the then
novel mode of sprinkling. In 1805 the resident pastor moved to New Haven,
Conn. There never was another. The organization was kept up until 1856,
the members having interests in the Union Church afterward built in Mechanicsville,
and there was occasional preaching by non-resident clergymen. Its membership
embraced Deacons Asa WHITE, Benjamin PARKER and Dan PECK; also Mr. HOYT,
of the firm of Newton & Hoyt, who sixty-five years ago conducted the
mercantile business in Mechanicsville. Not one of the members of the original
society is now alive.
6, 1804, the Baptist Church was organized. It consisted of twenty-nine
members. These had previously been connected with the church in Wallingford,
but wishing to withdraw and organize a separate church, a council was called
for that purpose, which was presided over by Elder William HARRINGTON,
of Clarendon. The petitioners were granted their wishes, and thus was organized
the Baptist Church of Mount Holly. Elder Cyrus ANDREWS was the first resident
preacher of the denomination here. His salary, as shown by the records,
was $30 per year. Elders Sylvanus HAYNES, of Middletown, and William HARRINGTON,
of Clarendon, and others, came from time to time to preach the word to
this band of pioneers assembled at the dwelling of Jacob WHITE, which was
enlarged by vote of the society for the purpose. March 11, 1811, Rev. Daniel
PACKER was ordained pastor. The services were conducted in a grove near
the hotel kept by Dr. CLARK. The church grew in numbers and wealth until
1815, when they erected their first house of worship in the north part
of the town. Its style of architecture was like that of its day -- a large
gallery and a pulpit with a "sounding-board." The labors of Rev. Daniel
PACKER were wonderfully proficient in success, so many being added to the
church that in 1820 was erected another meeting-house in the south part
of the town. This was a Union Church, and was owned by Baptists, Methodists,
Congregationalists and Universalists. It was built in the very respectable
style of architecture of the day, numerous evidences of which are now left
standing. In front a portico, with front supported by large columns in
the style of the Pantheon at Rome. There was a gallery on three sides of
the interior, one of which was reserved for the choir, led, in those days,
by a clarinet and bass-viol. This was a proprietary house, each family
having a deed of one of the high pews. Under the pulpit were seats reserved
for the deacons.
original subscription paper for this church is in existence, and is in
the hands of C. W. PRIEST A copy is below. It is worth preserving, both
from its peculiarity of literary composition and the names it contains.
Opposite nearly each name are such expressions as "Paid by note," "Deed
of pew," etc., showing how these hardy pioneers obtained possession of
their ecclesiastical advantages.
Feb 1st 1819
whose names are hereunto subscribed being Impressed with a belief that
it is our duty to contribute a part of our substance for the purpose of
building a Meeting-house in the south part of Mountholly that we may be
thus better prepared to bring up our Children in the nurture and admonition
of the Lord. and that we ourselves better prepared to wait upon the Lord
and attend to the word of his Grace and thereby promote virtue and Expell
vice from among us, do cordially unite and form ourselves into a society
for that purpose and by these presents bind our selves to pay to John Crowley
David HOYT and Richard LAWRENCE as a committee to superintend the building
of said house the several sums to our names respective annexed to be paid
one half in Merchantable beef Cattle and the other half in good salable
neat cattle not over eight years old (bulls and stags exempted) to be paid
on the first day of October A. D. 1820 provided said committee build said
house, which is to be completed by the first day of December A. D. 1820
for which said sums so by us paid we are to receive a deed or deeds of
the pews which we bid off a record of which is to be kept by Horace NEWTON,
and we further agree too and adopt the constitution which has this day
been read to us as our constitution by which we will here after. Said house
is to be built on the East Side of the country road a little Southerly
from the store of Newton & Hoyt and is to be forty feet by fifty and
finished in a goodworkman like manner & well painted."
& Hoyt, 1.30*
Haven, jr., 27.00
Hadley, jr., 31.00
B. Russell, 40.00
expressed, certainly indicating the trifling sum of one dollars and thirty
cents; but probably the notation of those days gave license to divide into
periods of two figures each, which would make one hundred and thirty dollars
as the amount indicated; which is made probable by the position it occupies
as commanding the best pews, and preceding amounts of nearly one hundred
subsequent years were full of prosperity for this communion. In 1826 the
records show an addition of 100 persons. This body embraced much of the
wealth of the town, and most of its men of influence. In 1830 forty-two
members were dismissed to form the church at East Wallingford, and, three
years later, as many more to organize societies in Plymouth and Shrewsbury.
Still, in 1842, the members of the church in this town were 466 The year
1850 witnessed the demolition of the church in Mechanicsville, the erection
of which is narrated above. It was succeeded by the more modern one but
last summer destroyed. One year later the first meeting-house built in
Mount Holly was likewise torn away, and upon its site was erected the edifice
which is now, after many repairs and furnished with modern improvements,
occupied as a place of worship. January 1, 1846, Rev. Daniel PACKER, after
a continuous pastorate of thirty-five years, closed his labors with the
church. He was succeeded by Rev. Joshua CLEMENT, recently deceased.
After his retirement, the pioneer preacher, who had baptized more than
1,600 persons, re sided with his son, J. D. S. PACKER, until his death,
June 30, 1873, at the age of eighty-six years and nine months. Since the
date of his resignation, the church has profited by the labors of Joshua
CLEMENT (1846), Ariel KENDRICK (a few months in 1848), Richard M. ELY (1848-52),
Winthrop MORSE, Samuel AUSTIN, Daniel BORROUGHS, Nathaniel CUDWORTH, Charles
COON, T. H. ARCHIBALD, Stephen PILLSBURY, G. W. GATES, A. MCLAUGHLIN, Silas
F. DEANE, F. WHITE, W. H. LAWTON, O. J. TAYLOR, and the present incumbent,
L. W. KING. Under the latter's pastorate, the church building put up in
1850 as a Union house (with the land deeded to Deacon John EDDY, F. L.
FROST, and Edward PARMENTER, as representatives of Baptist, Methodist and
Universalist), upon the withdrawal of the Methodists, who owned a commanding
interest, has been succeeded by the elegant and tasty structure recently
dedicated, upon the site of the old one, as a Baptist Church. Its cost
was $5,400. The body now numbers ninety resident and thirty-two non-resident
members (1881). Edmund BRIANT was the first deacon, and was elected November
21, 1805. Following him have been Ichabod G. CLARK, Martin COLE, Isaac
DICKERMAN, Harvey WHITE, John C. EDDY, Jacob PINGREY, Alvah HORTON, Warren
HORTON, Harvey LIVINGSTONE, David P. GIBSON, Windsor NEWTON, and Andrew
L MARSHALL. The first church clerk was Simeon DICKERMAN, elected September
1804. He held office until 1828, when he was succeeded by Daniel PACKER
(1828-46), Jacob PINGREY (1846-64), M. H. DICKERMAN (186468), David P.
GIBSON (1868 84), and Andrew L. MARSHALL (elected 1885).
Baptist society of this town has furnished the following preachers for
other communities: Cyrus ANDRUS, William GRANT, Jared DOOLITTLE, Larkin
B. COLE, Harvey CROWLEY.
Universalists have never had an organization. They have owned property
in our Union Churches, and their ministers from abroad have sometimes supplied
the pulpits. Among the early settlers were some of this faith, and our
town has always contained a certain number who have immigrated hither.
Their children and others within their influence have in some cases adhered
to the belief, but have lived without church connection; others have become
assimilated with the orthodox churches, which have been in the ascendancy.
Revs. Royal SAWYER and Edwin HEADLE have gone from this town to preach
-- The ecclesiastical followers of William PENN in this country had, at
an early date, a body of worshipers in this town. If the Congregationalists
had no meeting-house prior to the erection of the Baptist Church in the
north part of the town, the Quakers probably had the first meeting-house
in town. The building was scarcely worth dignifying as a church. It was
a small wood structure, standing a few rods north of the road above Mechanicsville,
which leads to the DODGE farm occupied by N. P. WEAVER. It was moved in
1825, after about twenty years of usage, into the village, and is now a
dwelling-house. This order never obtained a very numerous following. About
a dozen families composed the number. Among them were those of George CROWLEY,
Peter and Stephen BAKER, Snow RANDALL, Samuel COOK, and Daniel KELLEY.
cemetery in use in the south part of the village was at that time the Quaker
burying-ground. In it rest the remains of some of the above worthy pioneers,
who "counted not the world dear unto themselves." Peter and Stephen BAKER
removed to Danby; the other primitive members died here. The children generally
repudiated their birth-right; and, receiving no additions from abroad to
remain as permanent members (though others came from Weston and Danby to
worship with these), the society became extinct."
Perhaps no more appropriate
place will be found than this for the insertion of the following memoranda
regarding the Quakers of this town, as a sect, which was kindly furnished
us by Nelson W. COOK:
Quakers were quite numerous in Mount Holly and settled principally in the
south part of the town, in the vicinity of what is now Mechanicsville.
They were men of courage and sterling character. They went into the wilderness
with the single purpose of making for themselves and their families comfortable
homes, not realizing the great work in which they were to take an active
part, namely, that of converting the primitive forest into fruitful fields,
organizing towns, counties and States, and the building of churches for
religious worship. That they were the most influential, wealthy and enterprising
need not rest upon the assertion of the historian alone; of that fact there
is abundant recorded evidence. To them belongs the credit of building the
first meeting-house in town (1803) and it was the only one for twelve years
succeeding that date. They also organized the first district school. The
meeting at which the town was organized was presided over by one of their
number, who was also chosen as the first representative of the town. Among
those of this sect who were prominent may be mentioned Samuel COOK, Abraham
JACKSON, David SOUTHWICK, Uriel CROWLEY, Snow RANDALL, Stephen BAKER, George
CROWLEY, Asa ABBOTT, Peter BAKER, David KELLEY, Jethro JACKSON, Daniel
COOK." Sketches of several of these are given in earlier pages of the history
of this town.
Methodists -- "Very early
in the century the followers of John Wesley brought the burning zeal of
that then great reformer to the solitude of this then mountain fastness.
Inspired with the spirit of their leader, who said `the world is my parish,'
these burning exponents of 'free grace' were among the first bands of hardy
adventurers who sought and made their homes with no pleasanter neighbors
than the primeval forest sheltered. No dates are at hand, which exactly
determine the introduction of Methodism in this town. Probably not more
than forty years after the first Methodist sermon was preached in this
country, or fifteen years after the death of Wesley, in 1791, were there
among the settlers persons who professed this behalf. Many years previous
to the organization of these persons into a society by Rev. Jacob BEEMAN,
in 1815, were they assembled for religious worship and singing in private
houses and barns, when they were ministered unto by some of the ' saddle-bags-men;
who were ever active, fording rivers and sleeping in the wilderness that
they might travel their circuits.
first meeting of this sort known to have been held in town was probably
in the house of John MOORES, on the farm now owned by H. C. CARPENTER.
Afterwards meetings were held in the first school-house in the Mechanicsville
district, until some persons in the district objected to their using the
wood bought school purposes. This building stood near the site of the new
school building erected in 1880, was square, had a hip-roof, and after
it ceased to be used for school purposes was moved near the spot where
now stands the town-hall, and was used on each alternate Sunday by the
Methodists as a chapel.
persons were organized into a society by Jacob BEEMAN in 1815. Among the
members of that organization were Captain Joseph KINNE and wife, David
and William POLAND, Luke and Silas WARNER, Clark HAVEN, John Chandler and
Mathew Wing. Thus organized, they continued to worship in barns and school-houses,
holding their quarterly meetings, which were often attended by large loads
of people from Clarendon and other towns. In 1820 they had an interest
in the Union Church, then built as described in our last paper. In this
they held services a portion of the time; in their chapel the balance.
Some of the circuit-riders, who in those days and immediately succeeding
came across the mountains from the more thickly populated regions of New
York, sent out by the older Conference (for the Vermont Conference was
not organized until 1844), were Revs. Samuel DRAPON, Jacob BEEMAN, B. GOODSELL,
Anthony RICE, _____, _____ WESCOT, _____MEEKER, _____RIDER, John WHITEHORN,
John B. STRATTON, Tobias SPICER, Cyrus PRINDLE, John M. WEAVER, David POOR,
Joshua POOR, John ALLEY, A. LYON, W. HEIRS, _____ HANOVER, C. B. MORRIS,
L. PRINDLE, Ira BENTLY. These men preached the word to this pioneer church
prior to its becoming a ‘charge' within the limits of the Troy Conference.
They were all circuit-riders, never having a residence here. After the
discussions in the Methodist Church regarding church discipline, and the
episcopacy and presiding eldership, which resulted in the estrangement
of a body of believers in 1830, calling themselves Protestant Methodists,
and discarding the above offices, that faith had a small following in this
town. They held meetings in the old brick school-house at Tarbellville.
Their numbers were few. They had preaching each two weeks by Revs. VAUGHAN
and Fasset, respectively. They never effected an organization in this town.
When the Vermont Conference was organized in 1844, it only embraced the
three districts east of the Green Mountains formerly belonging to the New
Hampshire Conference, and this town still held its allegiance to the Troy
Conference. It had for pastors the following men: W. I. POND, B. D. AMES,
_____ COOPER, _____ HASELTON, L. S. WALKER, T. DODGSON, E. GALE,
A. DICKINSON, A. HOWARD, T. B. TAYLOR, Caleb FALES, Zeb. TWITCHELL, Isaac
SMITH, H. H. Smith, Z. H. POWERS, J. E. KING, S. SMITH, J. H. Stevens,
J. F. CHAMBERLAIN, Robert BROWN, C. A. STEVENS, M. A. WICKER.
At the general Conference
of 1860 the two districts lying west of the mountains were transferred
to the Vermont Conference (though in 1868 one district was retroceded again
to the Troy Conference), thus placing this town within the limits of the
Vermont Conference. Prior to this time Cuttingsville became associated
with this place as a preaching appointment. The following clergymen have
in the order indicated held appointments here since, preaching at the two
places alternately: Hubbard EASTMAN, 1861-63; C. A. STEPHENS, 1863-64;
A. NEWTON, 1864-66; H. G. DAY, 1866-67; Moses ADAMS, 1867-70; Joseph ENRIGHT,
1870-73; T. MACKIE, 1873-75; Leonard DODD, 1875-77; J. I. CUMMINGS, 1877-78;
James E. KANPP ; 1878-81; W. C. OLIVER, 1881-83; W. M. GILLIS, 1883-85.
In 1883 this society, with a bequest of Mrs. Mary KNIGHTS as a nucleus,
secured funds for the erection of a new house of worship more compatible
with their growing needs. As a result, the new Gothic edifice which now
adorns our village was erected at a cost of $5,800. There is preaching
service each Sunday at 10:30 o'clock, followed by Sabbath-school, and prayer
service in the evening. The present pastor is Rev. W. M. GILLIS, and the
society now numbers 145, with thirty-five probationers. There is an enterprising
Sunday-school of about 200 members at present. The church has a commodious
parsonage built at an expense of $2,280."
The church officers are
as follows: Stewards, P. E. CHASE, Anthony, Warren UNDERWOOD, R. R. PARKER,
Sylvester TUCKER, P. L. ALLEN, S. B. FLANDERS, B. E. FOSTER, F. F. CADY,
A. W. GRAVES, Asa MEYERS (including the charge at Cuttingsville). Class
leader, David E. EDDY. Sunday-school superintendent, Z. B. BABBITT.
-- Some time about 1840 the Advents commenced a series of meetings at the
brick, school-house in Tarbellville. They were largely attended, and attracted
much attention. Such preachers as LOCKE, LYON, BOSWORTH and TIFF preached.
Among those of that faith who in those days were earnest for its propagation
were the families of Daniel CHATTERTON, Horace NEWTON, Rufus and William
JACKSON, Nathan DOOLITTLE, Gabriel BISHOP and Orlin RUSSELL. So earnest
did these become in the belief of the personal coming of the Lord that
they met upon fixed days to prepare themselves by prayer and exhortation,
and be thus assembled to meet him. Some, in 1844, refused to harvest their
crops. During the summer of 1846 they were organized into a society by
Elder D. BOSWORTH, of Bristol, who became and has since been their pastor.
A chapel was erected at Bowlville, at a cost of $1,000, having a seating
capacity of 300 persons. Here preaching service is occasionally held by
the pastor. The society is few in numbers, but they have usually been men
of sterling integrity.
Catholic -- The last church organization was the Roman Catholic. This was
in 1874, and by Patrick KELLY and John DORSEY. It consisted of thirty-four
members. Their church edifice was erected in 1875, and cost $4,000. Rev.
Charles BOYLAN was the first priest. They have now a membership of more
than eighty families, mostly of Irish and French descent. Rev. Father LANE,
of Rutland, presides over the church.
Such has been the origin
and growth of the several church bodies. They have each been defended with
true Puritan zeal and steadfastness. Each has contained followers with
tenacity equal to the early Puritans -- and some at times with a spirit
akin to the Mathers at Salem. They have been the bulwarks of our civilization,
containing our most earnest and reliable citizens, and have ever been respected
Mount Holly is divided
into twelve school districts, in which schools are maintained several months
of each year. The inhabitants of the town have always shown a commendable
degree of interest in the cause of education, and particularly in more
recent years; several commodious and comfortable school houses have been
erected and care taken to secure excellent teachers.
For an account of the
physicians who have practiced in Mount Holly in past years the reader is
referred to the previous chapter devoted to the medical profession. The
venerable Dr. John CROWLEY is still a resident of the town, and in that
chapter a sketch of his life will be found. Dr. T. A: COOTEY was born in
Barnard, Windsor county, Vt., February 27, 1855. Studied his profession
at Woodstock and Burlington, where he graduated in 1880. He began practicing
at once in Mechanicsville.
The only lawyer who ever
resided in this town was Ira V. Randall. He was a native of the town and
remained here about three years after his admission to the bar in 1850.
He removed to De Kalb, Ill., and became quite prominent` in his profession.
There have never been
any villages of prominence in Mount Holly; but there are several hamlets
bearing distinctive names, at which more or less business is carried on.
The largest of these is Mechanicsville, which is situated near the central
part of the town.
One of the early business
industries of this place was the tannery which was started by Deacon Dan
PECK, more than sixty years ago, on the site now occupied by Dr. T. A.
COOTEY's house. Daniel TUBBS, of Clarendon, subsequently carried it on
for some time and was succeeded by STONE & DERBY, who ran it for a
long time. Leander DERBY, in company with Alanson WHITE and later with
Henry W, BALL, operated it until it was abandoned some years since.
The toy manufactory of
Phillip E. CHASE* is located here and is an important industry. It was
started in 1863 by his brother, A. P. CHASE, who sold an interest to Philip
E. soon after. It has continued under Mr. CHASE's control since. Water
and steam power are used and forty to fifty styles of children's wagons,
wheelbarrows, carts, etc., are made. About fifty men are employed in the
establishment. On this site was formerly a grist-mill for many years, which
was last run by Benjamin PRIEST; a part of its old frame was used in erecting
the toy factory. Mr. CHASE has a saw-mill in connection with his factory
and uses annually about 800,000 feet of lumber in his business.
Frederick PARMENTER carries
on a chair stock factory, which he, and for a time at first with his father,
Edwards PARMENTER, has run nearly thirty years; he purchased his father's
I. A. RUSSELL & Son
(F. L. Russell) carry on a general store at Mechanicsville. It was built
by Samuel HEMENWAY in 1843 or 1844, who conducted the business a
short time and was succeeded for a year or so by Parker SAWYER. After:
he left it E. R. FAY kept it for five or six years; it was then run as
a union store for a short time, Frank PARMENTER being clerk. This was succeeded
by Harvey DICKERMAN four or five years; D. L. DAWLEY, eight years; N. B.
PINNEY, a number of years; B. J. POWELL, one year; Charles W. PRIEST, eight
years; the present proprietors succeeded Mr. PRIEST February 1, 1884.
Samuel HEMENWAY kept
a hotel at Mechanicsville many years ago in the house now occupied by Mrs.
Abigail LIVINGSTONE, and there were inns in the town even before that.
The hotel now kept by P. E. CHASE and owned by him, was opened in January,
Chase, father of P. E., came to Mechanicsville about fifty years ago; he
was a . shoemaker. His son, Phillip E., started on a whaling voyage in
1852 from New Bedford, Mass.; cruised about the Azore Islands a few months
and then sailed for the coast of Brazil where several r, months were spent
around the Rio de la Platte; thence he sailed around Cape Born and at one
of the Chili ports he left the whaling vessel and spent a few months along
that coast and Peru, returning then ID Boston. He also made a second voyage
to the West Indies. In 1855 he entered the regular army, in the 2d regiment
of cavalry, and spent over four years in Texas, returning home in 1860.
At the breaking out of the Rebellion he enlisted in Company I, 2d Vermont
Regiment and went out as sergeant; was made second lieutenant of Company
A, same regiment, and promoted to first lieutenant appointed captain of
Company G, same regiment, and was mustered out with the organization.
A post-office has been
maintained here fifty years or more, of which Deacon Dan PECK was postmaster
in its early existence. On the 1st of April, 1884, F. L. RUSSELL was appointed
to the office, as successor to C. W. PRIEST. In the fall of 1885 Frank
PARMENTER superseded Mr. RUSSELL.
Tarbellville is a hamlet
about a mile west of Mechanicsville; it received its name from Marshall
TARBELL, a prominent citizen. A store is kept here by M. G. WILLIAMS, which
was originated by Marshall TARBELL about 1871, in which year he built it.
S. H. LIVINGSTON kept it until 1876; PUFFER & PETTINGILL, 1877;. F.
H. PUFFER, two years, 1879; M. TARBELL, one year, 1880; C. F. IVES, two
years, 1882; MORSE & RANGER, two years, and were succeeded by the present
The mills at this point
were first built more than sixty years ago, and were first burned about
forty years ago; they were at once rebuilt by Luther and Calvin TARBELL,
father and uncle of Marshall; the latter took possession about seventeen
years ago and has since conducted a large manufacturing business; previous
to the time last mentioned he was variously interested with others. The
last fire occurred January 5, 1878, and caused a loss of about eight thousand
dollars. The business now comprises the manufacture of lumber, rakes and
chair stock. The capacity of the mill is about. 600,000 feet of lumber
per year; the rake factory turns out from 3,000 dozen to 4,000 dozen a
year, and the manufacture of chair stock consumes 300,000 to 500,000 feet
of lumber annually.
The Tarbellville cheese
factory was established in 1874, by A. W. DICKERMAN, S. H. LIVINGSTON and
Marshall TARBELL; the latter became its owner very soon after its commencement.
It uses the milk of 400 cows and manufactures from 80,000 to 100,000 pounds
of cheese annually.
Mount Holly is a hamlet
near the central part of the town and en the railroad. The first post-office
in the town was established here, in which Darius GREEN was postmaster
in 1825. George MEAD had the office several years and in 1871 David HORTON
took it, continuing until October, 1885, when M. J. HOLDEN was appointed.
There was formerly a
store kept on the corner opposite Mr. HORTON's place of business, which
was built by Jonah IVES about 1846. He, with his son-in-law, Mr. MILLER,
conducted it for a number of years. David HORTON has kept a store here
since 1871. This point has telephone connection with perhaps more places
than any other town in the county, embracing Rutland, Cuttingsvile, Ludlow,
Proctor, Cavendish, Chester, Bartonville, Rockingham, Bellows Falls, Keene,
N. H., Plainfield, N. H., Windsor, White River junction and Claremont;
also, Troy, Whitehall, Glens Falls, Fairhaven, Castleton, Centre Rutland,
Mechanicsville, Tarbellville, Allard's Mills, East Wallingford, Horton’s
Mill, Weston, Londonderry, Woodstock, Springfield, Wethersfield and other
Bowlville is a settlement
about two miles west of Mount Holly Station and is also on the railroad
; it takes its name from being the location of a factory where wooden bowls,
etc., were made. A cheese factory was established here in the spring of
1884, which is owned by George SHERMAN and operated by Charles F. GUILD.
Hortonville is a settlement
in the north part of the town, about one and a half miles from Mount Holly
railroad station. We have spoken of Aaron HORTON being an early settler
in the town. He was the father of Andrew HORTON and the grandfather of
David HORTON. David HORTON built a mill here about 1848, and some twenty
years ago it passed to the possession of his brother, Warren, having been
in the mean time owned by Nathaniel HORTON, and later by Orville SPENCER.
It was run by water at first, but steam is now used, and from 300,000 to
400,000 feet of lumber manufactured annually.
Healdville is a small
settlement, post-office and railroad station in the east part of the town.
There was formerly a steam, mill here which was owned by W. B. & J.
P. HOSKISON, which did a large business; it was burned in 1872 and not
rebuilt. J. P. HOSKISON is postmaster.
Besides the manufactories
mentioned it should be stated that the first grist-mill in the town was
built by Jethro JACKSON about the year 1802, at the site of Bowlville.
A few years later another was built at Mechanicsville by Abraham JACKSON,
and still later another was built by Captain Joseph GREEN near Healdville,
in the east part of the town. None of these is now in existence. There
was formerly a carding-machine in operation in the north part of the town
and one at Mechanicsville, both of which were long ago abandoned.
In addition to the present
interests there are Daniel C. ALLARD's mills in the west part of the town
about two miles from Mechanicsville. They were erected, or built over,
on the site of GREENWOOD & PARMENTER's old mill, which was originally
built by Edward CHILSON, of East Wallingford, more than thirty years ago.
Mr. ALLARD rebuilt the mills in 1876, and they embrace the saw-mill and
a chair stock manufactory.
Parmenter & Johnson's
mills (Frederick PARMENTER and Gilbert E. JOHNSON), are located about half
a mile southwest of Mechanicsville. The mill was built by A. W. DICKERMAN
and Windsor NEWTON. A quantity of chair stock and about 400,000 feet of
lumber are made annually.
of Rutland County Vermont with Illustrations and Biographical
of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
by H. Y. Smith & W. S. Rann
Mason & Co., Publishers 1886
of the Town of Danby
by Karima, 2002
Notable natives of Mount Holly include Nathan
Turner Sprague, financier and railroad president, Parker Earle, President
of the Illinois State Horticultural Society and Charles Winfield Parmenter,
President of the Massachusetts Teachers Association and American Institute
History of the Town of Mt. Holly, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82
Gazetteer and Business Directory of the Town of Mt. Holly, Rutland County,