Search billions of records on





THIS town lies on the southeastern border of Rutland county, in latitude 43° 29' and longitude 4° 14’ east from Washington it is bounded on the north by Shrewsbury and Plymouth; east by Ludlow; south by Weston and Mount Tabor, and west by Wallingford and Mount Tabor. It was not one of the original townships. In surveying the towns on the east and west sides of the Green Mountains, there was left between Ludlow on the east and Wallingford on the west, a gore of land, which became known as "Jackson's Gore," from Abraham JACKSON, one of the original proprietors and an early settler.

      When the General Assembly, at its session of October, 1780, resolved to raise money to place Vermont on a war footing, for resistance to the decree of Congress abolishing its government, three expedients were adopted, viz.: The confiscation and sale of the lands of all British adherents, thus raising the sum of £430,000; second, the sale of all ungranted lands; and third, the issue of money. Under the second expedient this gore was transferred to Abraham Jackson and twenty-nine associated residents of Wallingford. This charter of transfer is dated February 23, 1781, and reads as follows:

“Resolved, That a certain tract or gore of land, lying and being situate on the cast side of Wallingford, containing by estimation nine thousand seven hundred acres, be granted to Abraham Jackson, esq., and his associates to the number of thirty. To be annexed to, and incorporated with the town of Wallingford."

      The fees for this grant were nine pounds per right, realizing the sum of two hundred and seventy  pounds.

      The present town of Mount Holly was incorporated at the October session of the Legislature of 1792, held in Rutland. The town as incorporated comprised Jackson's Gore with all that portion of the town of Ludlow lying west of the highest ridge of what is known as "Ludlow Mountain," and on the west a tract one mile in width, or two tiers of lots, from the east side of the town of Wallingford.

      The town lies in a sort of shallow basin, or depression, in the Green Mountains, and in the old days of stage coaching over the road from Burlington to Boston afforded the best place for crossing the Green Mountains south of Montpelier. The land was originally heavily timbered with maple, beech, birch, spruce and hemlock, with a lesser quantity of fir, basswood, black and white ash, wild cherry and poplar. By far the greater portion of the old forests have; fallen before the axes of the inhabitants.

      The rock is mostly Green Mountain gneiss. In the extreme southern part limestone is found from which a good quality of lime was formerly made. The soil is largely a strong and somewhat heavy loam; while clay beds are found in several localities, suitable for brick making. Brick were made in a yard near the site of the Mount Holly railroad station many years ago in quantities sufficient for the then comparatively small demands of this and neighboring towns.

      Mill River is the only considerable stream; it rises in the extreme southwest part part of the town, flows northerly and crosses a corner of Wallingford, emptying into Otter Creek in the town of Clarendon. There are numerous smaller streams, all of which on the western slope empty into Mill River; those on the eastern slope find their way to Black River and thus into the Connecticut.

      The surface of the town is uneven and hilly, though less so than most of the mountain towns; there is less waste land in it than in the majority of towns in the State, in spite of its situation on and near the mountain; it has no swamps, no rugged ledges and no abrupt and inaccessible mountains. The soil is better adapted to grass than grain, and not very much of the latter is raised. The farmers generally find it more profitable to keep their land in grass and devote their attention to the raising of stock or the manufacture of butter and cheese, than to even raise their own breadstuffs. Oats are, however, raised in considerable quantities, but mainly for home consumption.


      The first settlement on Jackson's Gore was made by Abraham JACKSON, and Stephen, Ichabod G. and Chauncey CLARK, of Connecticut, in the year 1782. In the following year they were joined by Jacob WILCOX and Benjamin G. DAWLEY, from Rhode Island, and soon after by Jonah, Amos and Ebenezer IVES, also from Connecticut; they were gradually followed by others. The first settlers in that part of the town which was formerly Ludlow were Joseph GREEN, Nathaniel PINGREY, Abram CROWLEY, David BENT and Silas PROCTOR, who came in about the year 1786. They were soon joined by John and Jonas HADLEY, Joseph and Jonathan PINGREY, Richard LAWRENCE and Samuel COOK. These two settlements, though only about three miles apart, were, according to Dr. John CROWLEY (from whose sketch many of these facts are taken), "for some time ignorant of their proximity to each other. Those on the west side, or the 'Gore,' supposed the settlement nearest them was in the valley of Otter Creek, while those on the east side thought their nearest neighbors were on Black River in Ludlow. They were separated by an unbroken wilderness, with not even a 'blazed' footpath between them, each having reached their settlements from opposite directions. They are said to have discovered each other in the following manner: Some of the settlers on the east side started out on Sunday morning to look for stray cattle; after traveling westward some two miles, they were about to take another direction, when they were surprised by hearing the barking of a dog still farther west. They followed the sound, and soon came to the log cabin of Ichabod G. CLARK, which stood some forty rods northwesterly from the spot where the Mount Holly railroad depot now stands. At this cabin the people of the 'Gore' were on that day assembled for religious worship. The surprise of each party was equaled only by their gratification at finding neighbors so near. They at once set about providing means of intercommunication by marked trees and subsequently by primitive roads; and the acquaintance thus begun soon ripened into friendship and constant intercourse, and resulted in the union of the two settlements into one town, as before described."

      The CLARKS were, perhaps, the most prominent family in the organization of the town and its later improvement. Stephen CLARK settled on a farm at what is known as the North Parish and near the Baptist Church, owning all of the land in the vicinity of what is now North Mount Holly. His farm has since been divided into several estates. None of his descendants is living in the town. Stephen CLARK became a man of influence and was given the honor of naming the town, calling it after Mount Holly in Connecticut, from which place he emigrated to Vermont. He was a son of Job CLARK, of Wallingford, and married Rachel JACKSON, of the same town. Their sons were Lyman, Miles, Russel, Asahel, Stephen, Orville, Homer; and daughters, Fanny, Orpha and Lorry. All but two or three of the eldest of these were born in Mount Holly. Mr. CLARK prospered here for some years, but met with reverses for which he was not responsible, and removed to Ohio in the fall of 1815. Miles and Lyman had already preceded him to that then new State. Asahel settled at Glens Falls, N. Y. In Ohio the family prospered and became prominent. Asahel CLARK, during his life in Glens Falls, became eminent as an attorney, and General Orville CLARK, who located at Sandy Hill, N. Y., became conspicuous in military life, as well as in politics.

    Mount Holly Station

    Abraham JACKSON was one of the Quaker settlers of Mount Holly, and Nelson W. COOK has furnished us with the following sketch of his life: He was born at Cornwall, Conn., in 1750, and came to Wallingford with his father in 1773. He was made the first town clerk of the town and the first representative, holding the latter office in the years 1778, 1780, 1781, 1785, 1789 and 1790. In 1781 he was successful in securing the large grant of land from the Legislature which has always borne his name and forms a large part of the town of Mount Holly. He was a large owner in this tract, his possession including a small lake and valuable water privileges at its outlet. Here he erected the first saw-mill in the town. The first house he built stood on the elevated land east of Mechanicsville, now owned by Elwin DICKERMAN. Mr. JACKSON sold the house to a Mr. MORRISON in 1800 and built the house directly north, now owned by George MEAD. He possessed in a large degree those great moral and religious principles by which men's lives should be guided; and it was at his house that the meetings of the first religious society in the town were held. It was in his "spacious kitchen" that they sat in silent worship. He removed to "the Gore" in 1791 and was chosen moderator of the meeting that organized the town; he was also its first representative in 1793. In 1810 he sold out his real estate and removed to northern New York.

      It will, perhaps, be as well to give Mr. COOK's notes of other prominent early Quakers of this town in this connection: Stephen BAKER came from Rhode Island in 1790 and settled first in Danby, removing from thereto Mount Holly. His wife was Susanna MATHEWSON. He returned to Rhode Island for a few years, afterwards returning to Danby, where he died in 1858, at the age of eighty years. He had a family of eleven children.

      Peter BAKER, a brother of Stephen, came from Rhode Island in 1804 and settled in Mount Holly. He died in 1852, aged seventy-eight years. His children were Lydia, Candace, Jonathan, Sanford, Stephen; Willard, Amasa and Nathan L. Jonathan married Anna HASMORE, of Mount Holly. His children were Marcellus (married Alvira, daughter of Edmund WHEELER); Ann Eliza, who married Frederick PARMETER; James, who lives in Michigan, and Mary Ann.

      Samuel COOK was born in Preston, Conn., May 18, 1765. He married Sally CHAMBERLAIN, of Wethersfield, Ct., January 1, 1791. He was the third son of Thaddeus and Zervia (HINCKLEY) COOK, and the fifth in descent from his Puritan ancestor, Gregory COOK, of Cambridge, Mass. He left home after he became of age, his father giving him $1,000 with which to purchase land. He made his purchase in Ludlow, clearing a large portion of it, on which he always lived. He was a successful farmer and gave considerable attention to stock; raising, and improved his farm in various ways, with good buildings, fruit trees, etc. He early joined the Quakers and was one of the strictest and most conscientious of that sect. When the town of Mount Holly was organized he was elected to "take a list of the polls and ratable estates of the inhabitants of the town." In 1793 he was elected grand juryman, and in 1795, selectman. He was a lieutenant in the militia until he joined the Quakers, when he resigned. He never accepted office after connecting himself with the Quakers. He lived a quiet, industrious life, and raised a large family, as follows: HINCKLEY, born October 27, 1792; Wyatt, born February 3, 1794; Thaddeus, born May 31, 1795; Sabrina, born May 28, 1797; Chauncey, born April 27, 1800; Lumas, born February 21, 1802; Mary, born March 14, 1804; Uriah, born September 12, 1806; Anson, born February 25, 1809; Julia Elma, born August 1, 1812. The three daughters are living and two sons, Wyatt and Lumas.

      While the Quakers of this town were not very numerous, they formed an influential and respected portion of the community. 

      Jedediah HAMMOND was for many years a leading man in this town. He came from Old Bedford, Mass., in 1770, and settled on "the Gore." He was for several years constable and collector and held other town offices; was representative six years and justice of the peace sixteen years. He became quite noted as a "pettifogger," and had a large business before the justices' courts. He held the office of deputy sheriff early in the century and had the custody of James ANTHONY in 1813, on the night before his expected execution for the murder of Joseph GREEN, as detailed in the preceding chapter of Rutland. Anthony hung himself in his cell and Mr. HAMMOND was charged with being accessory to the crime; but the charge was not substantiated. He died November 20, 1849, at the age of eighty-three years.

      John CROWLEY, second son of Abraham CROWLEY, was a prominent pioneer and lived in the east part of the town. He was elected town clerk in 1801, and held the office nine years; he held every other office in the gift of the town, except that of constable; was representative six years, and justice of the peace twenty-five years from 1802. He removed to St. Lawrence county, N. Y. in 1827 and died there September 12, 1840, aged seventy-four. He was the father of Dr. John CROWLEY, for a sketch of whom see Chapter XVI. 

      Stephen TUCKER was a prominent early resident and died December 26, 1828, aged sixty-four he was town clerk four years and held other responsible positions; was twelve years justice of the peace and held the office when he died. He was an honorable and upright man; he lived one and a half miles west of Mechanicsville. 

      Deacon Edmund BRYANT was an early settler and one of the substantial men of the town; particularly prominent in religious affairs; was one of the originators of the Baptist Church and its first presiding officer. He died December 19, 1839, aged seventy-one years, honored by the entire community. 

      A similar record may be given of Deacon Isaac DICKERMAN, who was for many years a leading citizen and a pillar in the Baptist Church. He, moreover, held very many of the town offices and discharged their duties with the utmost faithfulness. 

      Hon. Nathan T. SPRAGUE settled in the town in 1810 and for many years wielded a strong influence in all its affairs. He engaged in mercantile business, in which he was very successful, during the most of the time of his residence here, and also became a large land-owner and carried on farming extensively. He held many offices; represented the town seven years and was justice of the peace many years. He became the wealthiest man who lived in Mount Holly; but removed to Brandon in 1833 and several times represented that town in the Legislature and held the office of assistant judge of the County Court.

      Abel BISHOP was one of the noted early schoolmasters of this town - one of the first to teach here and followed the occupation twenty years. He was epresentative four years and justice of the peace. He removed to western New York in 1825.

      Edward PARMETER, father of Frank, came to Mechanicsville in 1836 and was a respected and useful citizen.

      Among other inhabitants in Mount Holly who were prominent in its affairs of whom we can give only the briefest memoranda were Daniel JAQUITH, who located very early in the extreme south part; and Phineas CARLTON near him. Joseph and Benjamin FROST, who lived about a mile northward from Mechanicsvine. Hoxey BARBER and David CHATTERTON who settled near the site of Bowlville. Alfred CROWLEY, who lived on the place formerly occupied by his grandfather, Abraham CROWLEY. Abel FOSTER, who settled on the place now occupied by Henry FOSTER, great-grandson of Abel and son of William W., who removed to Springfield, Mass. Ebenezer IVES, father of Allen, who still occupies the old place with his son. Jonah, Amos and Jonathan were brothers of Ebenezer and came in 1781. Leumas TUCKER, grandson of Stephen TUCKER before mentioned, who occupies the homestead; and Stillman TUCKER, who, lives on the place formerly owned by his father, Joseph TUCKER. Jonas HOLDEN, who lived on the place now occupied by his grandson, Marvel HOLDEN. Aaron HORTON, who lived where his grandson, Darius, now resides. Perry G. DAWLEY, father of L. DAWLEY, was the first male child born in Mt. Holly. He settled on the farm now owned by D. G. DAWLEY, his grandson, between the turnpike and "shunpike." Perry G. was the father of eight boys and three girls; these are all dead excepting two sons, Perry A. DAWLEY, now in Bowlville, and L. DAWLEY.

      Others who have lived in the town and performed noble work in clearing the lands and making homes in the wildernees, were Thomas and Asa WHITE, Joseph BIXBY, Abel FARWELL, Job TODD, Asa and Jesse SAWYER, Edmund and James TARBELL, Enoch JAQUITH, Royal, John, George and Walter CROWLEY, Samuel HOSMER, John CHANDLER, William and Jacob EARLE, William GRAVES, Isaac FISH, John MOORS, Zacheus PRESCOTT, Jacob WHITE, John RANDALL, Jethro JACKSON, John and Samuel RUSSELL, Pardon CRANDALL, Perry and Alexander WELLS, Nathan DOOLITTLE, Seth LIVINGSTON, Elijah DAVENPORT, Martin COLE, Thomas DAVIS, Joseph KINNEE, and probably others whose names and deeds are in the past.

      The inhabitants of Mount Holly have gone forward in advancing the material interests of their community, with little to disturb or interrupt them. The long-remembered cold season of 1816-17 had less effect in this town than in many others; a good deal of hardship was, however, experienced from the prevailing scarcity of provisions and money.

      Dr. CROWLEY, in his sketch, from which we have liberally drawn, notes the occurrence of a number of casualties, the first of which was the accidental death of Lyman DICKERMAN, in 1825, by being thrown from his carriage. In 18__ Silas PROCTOR, jr., was killed by a falling limb, while felling a tree in the woods; and the next year Judson CHILSON, a young man, met his death in the same manner. In the month of April, 1852, Silas E. COLE was drowned in Randall's Pond, while rowing in company with Miss Tamar PRATT. The lady was saved by the heroic conduct of D. L. DAWLEY, but the young man, being unable to swim, was drowned. In April, 1853, a little son of Leander DERBY was drowned in the flume of his father's tannery; he was an only child. In April, 1865, Charles KIMBALL, while demolishing an old building, was fatally injured by being struck on the head by a falling timber. During the great freshet of October, 1869, Mrs. Esther BIXBY, wife of J. J. BIXBY, and her little son, were standing near the bridge at the outlet of Randall's Pond, watching her husband and A. C. RANDALL, as they were attempting to save some lumber. Suddenly the ground gave way beneath them and they were precipitated into the boiling current. The accident was witnessed by two men, who hastened to the rescue and succeeded in saving Mrs. BIXBY; the boy was drowned. On the morning of the 8th of June, 1870, a terrible railroad accident occurred about half a mile west from Summit Station, where a culvert allowed the current of a small stream to cross under the track. A heavy rain swelled this stream into a torrent and the surroundings of the culvert were washed out. The morning train, containing one express and passenger car with about thirty passengers, passed upon the track at this point, which sank and caused the overturning of the passenger car. Six men lost their lives in this accident, and very many were injured.


      In the Rebellion.  -- No town in Rutland county did more than Mount Holly, according to number of population, for the support of the government in its struggle with rebellion, or did it more freely. The following record gives the names of the soldiers who enlisted from this town, and the organizations in which they served, as nearly as it has been possible to obtain them.

      Volunteers for three years credited previous to the call for 300,000 volunteers of October 17, 1863. -- Dana AYRES, co. C, 6th regt.; Orson H. BENSON, George L. BRIGGS, co. I, 5th regt.; George W. BRIGGS, co. B, 9th regt.; Rodolphus D. BRIGGS, co. C, 6th regt.; Warren BRIGGS, co. G, 5th regt.; Nelson BROE, co. B, 9th regt.; Hiram D. BUSSELL, Barney CANNON, co. C, 6th regt.; Daniel CANNON, co. I, 2d regt.; James CANNON, co. C, 5th regt.; Charles Champagne, co. D, 7th regt.; Phillip E. CHASE, Co. I, 2d regt.; Reuben L. CHASE, co. A, 7th regt.; William V. CHASE, Co. G, 7th regt.; John CLARK, Co. F, 6th regt.; John CLARK, Co. M, 11th regt.; Chauncey M. COLE, Co. C, 3d regt.; Major S. DAMON, Co. G, 7th regt.; James DARCY, John DAY, Co. C, 4th regt.; Henry M. FLETCHER, Co. B, 9th regt; Anson FOSTER, Co. C, 4th regt.; Daniel FROST, Stephen FROST, Co. I, 2d regt.; David W. FULLER, Co. D, 9th regt.; Charles S. GODDARD, Co. H, 11th regt.; Elisha M. GODDARD, Co. C, 6th regt.; Corwin GRAVES, Edmund B. GRAVES, Stephen A. GRAVES, Co. B, 9th regt.; James C. GROVER, Co. D, 9th regt.; John HALEY, jr., Co. C, 4th regt.; Elander HASKELL, Co. C, 4th regt.; Thomas HEALEY, 4th regt.; Rufus K. HEADLE, Co. C, 10th regt.; Oscar HEMENWAY, Co. H, 10th regt.; David N. HILL, Co. B, 9th regt.; Isaac L. HILL, Co. 1, 5th regt.; James T. HOLMES, Co. I, 2d regt.; Henry N. HORTON, Co. B, 9th regt.; Eli H. JOHNSON, Co. M. 11th regt.; John KING, Co. C, 6th regt.; Michael LANE, Co. C,' 4th. regt.; Charles A. LOOMIS, Co. G, 4th regt.; Patrick H. LYNCH, Co. D, 9th regt.; William H. LYNCH, Co. C, 4th regt.; William S. MANDIGO, Co. I, 2d regt.; George H. MARTIN, Goel R. MARTIN, Co. I, 5th regt.; Joshua B. MARTIN, Co. C, 10th regt.; George C. MEAD, Co. H, 10th regt.; Henry P. MOREHOUSE, Co. C, 6th regt.; Harrison H. MUDGE, Co. G, 5th regt.; Harry H. MUDGE, Charles W. NEWTON, Co. B. 9th regt.; Henry NOLETT, Co. I, 2d regt.; Daniel C. PARKER, CO. D, 9th regt.; Benjamin F. PARMENTER, Co. I, 2d regt.; Emerson J. PINGREE, Co. C, 6th regt.; Robbins R. PINGREE, Co. D, 7th regt.; Mortimer PRATT, Loren F. PRATT, Co. G, 7th regt.; Darius D. PRIEST, Ethan A. PRIEST, Co. I, 2d regt.; Daniel RICHARDSON, Co. 1, 5th regt.; Ebenezer RICHARDSON, Co. G, 9th regt.; William S. ROBERTS, Co. B, 9th regt.; Hoxey C. ROGERS, Co. 1, 2d regt.; John SHARROW, Co. B, 9th regt.; Franklin W. STACY, Timothy SULLIVAN, Co. C, 6th regt. ; Charles W. TARBELL, Co. G, 7th regt.; Henry TOLE, Co. I, 2d regt.; Melville B. WARNER, Co. I, 5th regt.; William G. WATTS, Co. C, 4th regt.; Martin WELLS, Co. D, 7th regt. ; Perry G. WELLS, Co. I, 2d, regt.; Thomas WILSON, Co. C, 4th regt.; Edmund A. WOODARD, Co. B, 9th regt.

      Credits under call of October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers and subsequent calls. Volunteers for three years. -- Lawson E. BARBER, Aram CARYL, 1st bat.; Harrison EARLE, Co. G, 5th regt.; Moses FISK, 3d bat.; Raymond J. FLETCHER, Co. G, 5th regt.; George W. MANDIGO, Co. K, 11th regt.; Orrin N. MUDGE, Co. G, 5th regt.; Isaac RANDALL, Co. B, 7th regt.; Truman M. SMITH, George S. WILLARD, Co. G, 5th regt.

      Volunteers for one year. -- Lawson E. ARCHER, 9th regt.; Henry BARRETT, Austin L. BENSON, Edwin B. CHASE, Joseph COLBY, David G. DORSETT, Co. I, 2d regt.; Anson FOSTER, Co. C, 6th regt.; Daniel C. FREEMAN, Co. K, 7th regt.; Henry GLYNN, Co. D, 9th regt.; George JEFFTS, 9th regt.; Franklin A. MOORE, Co. D, 9th regt.; Charles W. PRIEST, Charles H. RAY, Hiram SIMONDS, Hiram L. WARNER, John L. WILLEY, jr., Co. I, 2d regt.

      Volunteers re-enlisted. -- Rodolphus D. BRIGGS, Barney CANNON, Co. C, 6th regt.; Lorenzo A. DODGE, Myron E. HUBBARD, Co. I, 2d regt.; Perry LAMPHIRE; Henry MOREHOUSE, Co. C, 6th regt.; George H. MARTIN, Co. I, 5th regt.; Hoxey C. ROGERS, Co. I, 2d regt.; Perry G. WELLS, Co. I, 2d regt.

      Not credited by name --Three men.

      Volunteers for nine months.  Eben J. BAILEY, jr., Henry BARRETT, Michael CLOWERY, Frederick W. CROWLEY, Co. H, 14th regt.; Harrison H. EARLE, Morton A. IVES, John MAHON, Co. H, 14th regt.; Ryland R. PARKER, Co. C, 16th regt.; Nathan PRIEST, George G. RICE, Charles W. SHEDD, Joseph F. SHEDD, Co. H, 14th regt.; Silas A. THOMPSON, Co. B, 14th regt.

      Furnished under draft. -- Paid commutation, S. H. ACKLEY, Morgan S. CARYL, Langdon COOK, Oscar B. COLE, Ambrose ESTERBROOKS, Wells A. FOSTER, Joshua E. GATES, Robert HOSKINSON, P. B. LINCOLN, Daniel H. PARKER, Wesley PRIEST, Charles H. RAY, Henry B. SMITH. Procured substitute, George P. HAMMOND. Entered service, Daruis A. MARTIN, Co. E, 4th regt.


      The following statement shows the population of Mount Holly at the various dates named and indicates a steady growth until the last decade: 1791,__ ; 1800, 668; 1810, 922; 1820, 1,157; 1830, 1,318; 1840, 1,356; 1850, 1,534; 1860, 1,522; 1870, 1,582; 1880, 1,390.


      Windsor NEWTON, town clerk; S. H. ACKLEY, E. A. PRIEST, A. W. COOK, selectmen; Windsor NEWTON, treasurer; J. D. S. PACKER, constable; George W. GRAVES, Michael CLOWERY, H. C. CARPENTER, listers; I. L. HILL, Z. B. BABBITT, S. M. DICKERMAN, auditors; Alfred CROWLEY, trustee; C. W. PRIEST, B. F. PARMENTER, N. B. PINNEY, fence viewers; M. D. HARRINGTON, Hiland HOLDEN, grand jurors; George W. GRAVES, M. J. HOLDEN, S. M. DICKERMAN, Henry LORD, Sylvester TUCKER, D. G. DAWLEY, Willam B. HOSKISON, A. D. PECK, M. A. IVES, W. D. HOLDEN, Spencer PILLSBURY, P. L. ALLARD, petit jurors; O. M. PELSUE, M. D. HARRINGTON, town grand jurors; A. E. DOTY, inspector of leather; S. M. DICKERINAN. Henry PRATT, Milan DICKERMAN, O. F. WHEELER, pound keepers; Edson HOLDEN, overseer poor; Marshall TARBELL, surveyor of wood and lumber; Z. B. BABBITT, town superintendent; J. D. S. PACKER, collector of taxes. 


      In preparing a history of the churches of this town we can not do better than avail ourselves of the very carefully written material of Rev. L., P. TUCKER, of Mechanicsville, which was printed in the Vermont Tribune during the present year. This material is indicated by quotation marks, and we have made such additions as seem to be desirable: 

    "In common with other towns where its introduction has resulted in a ,more permanent organization than this, the first resident minister was a Congregationalist -- Rev. Silas L. BINGHAM. The exact date cannot be determined, but it was about the year 1800. There is a vague tradition of a church built by the society which was organized by him in 1802, but it lacks evidence and is probably unfounded. If, however, it did exist, it was the first church edifice in town. Meetings were, more probably, conducted in private dwellings and barns, the house of Matthew WING, on the farm now owned by George W. MEADS, being occupied for that purpose by this as well as, in after years, other denominations. Here adults and children were baptized by the then novel mode of sprinkling. In 1805 the resident pastor moved to New Haven, Conn. There never was another. The organization was kept up until 1856, the members having interests in the Union Church afterward built in Mechanicsville, and there was occasional preaching by non-resident clergymen. Its membership embraced Deacons Asa WHITE, Benjamin PARKER and Dan PECK; also Mr. HOYT, of the firm of Newton & Hoyt, who sixty-five years ago conducted the mercantile business in Mechanicsville. Not one of the members of the original society is now alive.

    "September 6, 1804, the Baptist Church was organized. It consisted of twenty-nine members. These had previously been connected with the church in Wallingford, but wishing to withdraw and organize a separate church, a council was called for that purpose, which was presided over by Elder William HARRINGTON, of Clarendon. The petitioners were granted their wishes, and thus was organized the Baptist Church of Mount Holly. Elder Cyrus ANDREWS was the first resident preacher of the denomination here. His salary, as shown by the records, was $30 per year. Elders Sylvanus HAYNES, of Middletown, and William HARRINGTON, of Clarendon, and others, came from time to time to preach the word to this band of pioneers assembled at the dwelling of Jacob WHITE, which was enlarged by vote of the society for the purpose. March 11, 1811, Rev. Daniel PACKER was ordained pastor. The services were conducted in a grove near the hotel kept by Dr. CLARK. The church grew in numbers and wealth until 1815, when they erected their first house of worship in the north part of the town. Its style of architecture was like that of its day -- a large gallery and a pulpit with a "sounding-board." The labors of Rev. Daniel PACKER were wonderfully proficient in success, so many being added to the church that in 1820 was erected another meeting-house in the south part of the town. This was a Union Church, and was owned by Baptists, Methodists, Congregationalists and Universalists. It was built in the very respectable style of architecture of the day, numerous evidences of which are now left standing. In front a portico, with front supported by large columns in the style of the Pantheon at Rome. There was a gallery on three sides of the interior, one of which was reserved for the choir, led, in those days, by a clarinet and bass-viol. This was a proprietary house, each family having a deed of one of the high pews. Under the pulpit were seats reserved for the deacons.

"The original subscription paper for this church is in existence, and is in the hands of C. W. PRIEST A copy is below. It is worth preserving, both from its peculiarity of literary composition and the names it contains. Opposite nearly each name are such expressions as "Paid by note," "Deed of pew," etc., showing how these hardy pioneers obtained possession of their ecclesiastical advantages.

" MOUNTHOLLY  Feb 1st 1819

     "'We whose names are hereunto subscribed being Impressed with a belief that it is our duty to contribute a part of our substance for the purpose of building a Meeting-house in the south part of Mountholly that we may be thus better prepared to bring up our Children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. and that we ourselves better prepared to wait upon the Lord and attend to the word of his Grace and thereby promote virtue and Expell vice from among us, do cordially unite and form ourselves into a society for that purpose and by these presents bind our selves to pay to John Crowley David HOYT and Richard LAWRENCE as a committee to superintend the building of said house the several sums to our names respective annexed to be paid one half in Merchantable beef Cattle and the other half in good salable neat cattle not over eight years old (bulls and stags exempted) to be paid on the first day of October A. D. 1820 provided said committee build said house, which is to be completed by the first day of December A. D. 1820 for which said sums so by us paid we are to receive a deed or deeds of the pews which we bid off a record of which is to be kept by Horace NEWTON, and we further agree too and adopt the constitution which has this day been read to us as our constitution by which we will here after. Said house is to be built on the East Side of the country road a little Southerly from the store of Newton & Hoyt and is to be forty feet by fifty and finished in a goodworkman like manner & well painted."

Newton & Hoyt, 1.30* 
David Paland, 48.00
Elijah Davenport, 30.00
Jonah Ives, 0.97
Daniel Wing, 
Clark Haven, jr., 27.00
Nathaniel Pingry, 1.05 
John Wing, 43.00
Warner Scott, 27.00
Elias Kent,
Ezra Burke,
Enoch Jaquith, 29.00
William Earl, 0.92 
Frances White, 37.00
Aaron Warner,
Isaac Randall, 0.90
Daniel Jaquith, 36.00
Silas Warner, 23.00
William Kent, 86.00
Daniel White, 37.00
Moses B. Russell,
Martin Cole, 71.00 
Seth Livingstone,
Henry White, 48.50
John Ellis, 70.00
John Crowley, 34.00
Arba Tucker,
Edmond Briant, 66.00
Samuel Hosmer, 31.00
Stephen Graves, 30.00
John Crowley, 58.00
John Hadley, jr., 31.00
Pheneas Carlton, 21.00
Chester Spencer,
Abijah Cole, 30.00
James Tarbell, 18.00
Jerial Andrus, 55.00
Abraham Dodge, 36.00
Charles Hosmer, 20.00
Ruel Todd, 61.00
Wm. Graves, 35.00
Jacob Earl, 26.00
Richard Lawrence, 54.00
Edmond Tarbell,
Russell Farwell, 15.00
Asa White, 50.00 
Joseph Frost, 30.00
Jedediah Hammond, 10.00
Moses B. Russell, 40.00
Thaddeus Cook,
Daniel Packer, 9.00
John Moor, 37.00
William Poland, 30.00
Martin Cole, 9.00

*As expressed, certainly indicating the trifling sum of one dollars and thirty cents; but probably the notation of those days gave license to divide into periods of two figures each, which would make one hundred and thirty dollars as the amount indicated; which is made probable by the position it occupies as commanding the best pews, and preceding amounts of nearly one hundred dollars.

    "The subsequent years were full of prosperity for this communion. In 1826 the records show an addition of 100 persons. This body embraced much of the wealth of the town, and most of its men of influence. In 1830 forty-two members were dismissed to form the church at East Wallingford, and, three years later, as many more to organize societies in Plymouth and Shrewsbury. Still, in 1842, the members of the church in this town were 466 The year 1850 witnessed the demolition of the church in Mechanicsville, the erection of which is narrated above. It was succeeded by the more modern one but last summer destroyed. One year later the first meeting-house built in Mount Holly was likewise torn away, and upon its site was erected the edifice which is now, after many repairs and furnished with modern improvements, occupied as a place of worship. January 1, 1846, Rev. Daniel PACKER, after a continuous pastorate of thirty-five years, closed his labors with the church.  He was succeeded by Rev. Joshua CLEMENT, recently deceased. After his retirement, the pioneer preacher, who had baptized more than 1,600 persons, re sided with his son, J. D. S. PACKER, until his death, June 30, 1873, at the age of eighty-six years and nine months. Since the date of his resignation, the church has profited by the labors of Joshua CLEMENT (1846), Ariel KENDRICK (a few months in 1848), Richard M. ELY (1848-52), Winthrop MORSE, Samuel AUSTIN, Daniel BORROUGHS, Nathaniel CUDWORTH, Charles COON, T. H. ARCHIBALD, Stephen PILLSBURY, G. W. GATES, A. MCLAUGHLIN, Silas F. DEANE, F. WHITE, W. H. LAWTON, O. J. TAYLOR, and the present incumbent, L. W. KING. Under the latter's pastorate, the church building put up in 1850 as a Union house (with the land deeded to Deacon John EDDY, F. L. FROST, and Edward PARMENTER, as representatives of Baptist, Methodist and Universalist), upon the withdrawal of the Methodists, who owned a commanding interest, has been succeeded by the elegant and tasty structure recently dedicated, upon the site of the old one, as a Baptist Church. Its cost was $5,400. The body now numbers ninety resident and thirty-two non-resident members (1881). Edmund BRIANT was the first deacon, and was elected November 21, 1805. Following him have been Ichabod G. CLARK, Martin COLE, Isaac DICKERMAN, Harvey WHITE, John C. EDDY, Jacob PINGREY, Alvah HORTON, Warren HORTON, Harvey LIVINGSTONE, David P. GIBSON, Windsor NEWTON, and Andrew L MARSHALL. The first church clerk was Simeon DICKERMAN, elected September 1804. He held office until 1828, when he was succeeded by Daniel PACKER (1828-46), Jacob PINGREY (1846-64), M. H. DICKERMAN (186468), David P. GIBSON (1868 84), and Andrew L. MARSHALL (elected 1885). 

    "The Baptist society of this town has furnished the following preachers for other communities: Cyrus ANDRUS, William GRANT, Jared DOOLITTLE, Larkin B. COLE, Harvey CROWLEY.

    "The Universalists have never had an organization. They have owned property in our Union Churches, and their ministers from abroad have sometimes supplied the pulpits. Among the early settlers were some of this faith, and our town has always contained a certain number who have immigrated hither. Their children and others within their influence have in some cases adhered to the belief, but have lived without church connection; others have become assimilated with the orthodox churches, which have been in the ascendancy. Revs. Royal SAWYER and Edwin HEADLE have gone from this town to preach that faith.

    "Quakers -- The ecclesiastical followers of William PENN in this country had, at an early date, a body of worshipers in this town. If the Congregationalists had no meeting-house prior to the erection of the Baptist Church in the north part of the town, the Quakers probably had the first meeting-house in town. The building was scarcely worth dignifying as a church. It was a small wood structure, standing a few rods north of the road above Mechanicsville, which leads to the DODGE farm occupied by N. P. WEAVER. It was moved in 1825, after about twenty years of usage, into the village, and is now a dwelling-house. This order never obtained a very numerous following. About a dozen families composed the number. Among them were those of George CROWLEY, Peter and Stephen BAKER, Snow RANDALL, Samuel COOK, and Daniel KELLEY.

    "The cemetery in use in the south part of the village was at that time the Quaker burying-ground. In it rest the remains of some of the above worthy pioneers, who "counted not the world dear unto themselves." Peter and Stephen BAKER removed to Danby; the other primitive members died here. The children generally repudiated their birth-right; and, receiving no additions from abroad to remain as permanent members (though others came from Weston and Danby to worship with these), the society became extinct."

      Perhaps no more appropriate place will be found than this for the insertion of the following memoranda regarding the Quakers of this town, as a sect, which was kindly furnished us by Nelson W. COOK: 

    "The Quakers were quite numerous in Mount Holly and settled principally in the south part of the town, in the vicinity of what is now Mechanicsville. They were men of courage and sterling character. They went into the wilderness with the single purpose of making for themselves and their families comfortable homes, not realizing the great work in which they were to take an active part, namely, that of converting the primitive forest into fruitful fields, organizing towns, counties and States, and the building of churches for religious worship. That they were the most influential, wealthy and enterprising need not rest upon the assertion of the historian alone; of that fact there is abundant recorded evidence. To them belongs the credit of building the first meeting-house in town (1803) and it was the only one for twelve years succeeding that date. They also organized the first district school. The meeting at which the town was organized was presided over by one of their number, who was also chosen as the first representative of the town. Among those of this sect who were prominent may be mentioned Samuel COOK, Abraham JACKSON, David SOUTHWICK, Uriel CROWLEY, Snow RANDALL, Stephen BAKER, George CROWLEY, Asa ABBOTT, Peter BAKER, David KELLEY, Jethro JACKSON, Daniel COOK." Sketches of several of these are given in earlier pages of the history of this town.

      Methodists -- "Very early in the century the followers of John Wesley brought the burning zeal of that then great reformer to the solitude of this then mountain fastness. Inspired with the spirit of their leader, who said `the world is my parish,' these burning exponents of 'free grace' were among the first bands of hardy adventurers who sought and made their homes with no pleasanter neighbors than the primeval forest sheltered. No dates are at hand, which exactly determine the introduction of Methodism in this town. Probably not more than forty years after the first Methodist sermon was preached in this country, or fifteen years after the death of Wesley, in 1791, were there among the settlers persons who professed this behalf. Many years previous to the organization of these persons into a society by Rev. Jacob BEEMAN, in 1815, were they assembled for religious worship and singing in private houses and barns, when they were ministered unto by some of the ' saddle-bags-men; who were ever active, fording rivers and sleeping in the wilderness that they might travel their circuits.

    "The first meeting of this sort known to have been held in town was probably in the house of John MOORES, on the farm now owned by H. C. CARPENTER. Afterwards meetings were held in the first school-house in the Mechanicsville district, until some persons in the district objected to their using the wood bought school purposes. This building stood near the site of the new school building erected in 1880, was square, had a hip-roof, and after it ceased to be used for school purposes was moved near the spot where now stands the town-hall, and was used on each alternate Sunday by the Methodists as a chapel.

    "These persons were organized into a society by Jacob BEEMAN in 1815. Among the members of that organization were Captain Joseph KINNE and wife, David and William POLAND, Luke and Silas WARNER, Clark HAVEN, John Chandler and Mathew Wing. Thus organized, they continued to worship in barns and school-houses, holding their quarterly meetings, which were often attended by large loads of people from Clarendon and other towns. In 1820 they had an interest in the Union Church, then built as described in our last paper. In this they held services a portion of the time; in their chapel the balance. Some of the circuit-riders, who in those days and immediately succeeding came across the mountains from the more thickly populated regions of New York, sent out by the older Conference (for the Vermont Conference was not organized until 1844), were Revs. Samuel DRAPON, Jacob BEEMAN, B. GOODSELL, Anthony RICE, _____, _____ WESCOT, _____MEEKER, _____RIDER, John WHITEHORN, John B. STRATTON, Tobias SPICER, Cyrus PRINDLE, John M. WEAVER, David POOR, Joshua POOR, John ALLEY, A. LYON, W. HEIRS, _____ HANOVER, C. B. MORRIS, L. PRINDLE, Ira BENTLY. These men preached the word to this pioneer church prior to its becoming a ‘charge' within the limits of the Troy Conference. They were all circuit-riders, never having a residence here. After the discussions in the Methodist Church regarding church discipline, and the episcopacy and presiding eldership, which resulted in the estrangement of a body of believers in 1830, calling themselves Protestant Methodists, and discarding the above offices, that faith had a small following in this town. They held meetings in the old brick school-house at Tarbellville. Their numbers were few. They had preaching each two weeks by Revs. VAUGHAN and Fasset, respectively. They never effected an organization in this town. When the Vermont Conference was organized in 1844, it only embraced the three districts east of the Green Mountains formerly belonging to the New Hampshire Conference, and this town still held its allegiance to the Troy Conference. It had for pastors the following men: W. I. POND, B. D. AMES, _____  COOPER, _____ HASELTON, L. S. WALKER, T. DODGSON, E. GALE, A. DICKINSON, A. HOWARD, T. B. TAYLOR, Caleb FALES, Zeb. TWITCHELL, Isaac SMITH, H. H. Smith, Z. H. POWERS, J. E. KING, S. SMITH, J. H. Stevens, J. F. CHAMBERLAIN, Robert BROWN, C. A. STEVENS, M. A. WICKER. 

      At the general Conference of 1860 the two districts lying west of the mountains were transferred to the Vermont Conference (though in 1868 one district was retroceded again to the Troy Conference), thus placing this town within the limits of the Vermont Conference. Prior to this time Cuttingsville became associated with this place as a preaching appointment. The following clergymen have in the order indicated held appointments here since, preaching at the two places alternately: Hubbard EASTMAN, 1861-63; C. A. STEPHENS, 1863-64; A. NEWTON, 1864-66; H. G. DAY, 1866-67; Moses ADAMS, 1867-70; Joseph ENRIGHT, 1870-73; T. MACKIE, 1873-75; Leonard DODD, 1875-77; J. I. CUMMINGS, 1877-78; James E. KANPP ; 1878-81; W. C. OLIVER, 1881-83; W. M. GILLIS, 1883-85. In 1883 this society, with a bequest of Mrs. Mary KNIGHTS as a nucleus, secured funds for the erection of a new house of worship more compatible with their growing needs. As a result, the new Gothic edifice which now adorns our village was erected at a cost of $5,800. There is preaching service each Sunday at 10:30 o'clock, followed by Sabbath-school, and prayer service in the evening. The present pastor is Rev. W. M. GILLIS, and the society now numbers 145, with thirty-five probationers. There is an enterprising Sunday-school of about 200 members at present. The church has a commodious parsonage built at an expense of $2,280."

      The church officers are as follows: Stewards, P. E. CHASE, Anthony, Warren UNDERWOOD, R. R. PARKER, Sylvester TUCKER, P. L. ALLEN, S. B. FLANDERS, B. E. FOSTER, F. F. CADY, A. W. GRAVES, Asa MEYERS (including the charge at Cuttingsville). Class leader, David E. EDDY. Sunday-school superintendent, Z. B. BABBITT.

    "Adventists -- Some time about 1840 the Advents commenced a series of meetings at the brick, school-house in Tarbellville. They were largely attended, and attracted much attention. Such preachers as LOCKE, LYON, BOSWORTH and TIFF preached. Among those of that faith who in those days were earnest for its propagation were the families of Daniel CHATTERTON, Horace NEWTON, Rufus and William JACKSON, Nathan DOOLITTLE, Gabriel BISHOP and Orlin RUSSELL. So earnest did these become in the belief of the personal coming of the Lord that they met upon fixed days to prepare themselves by prayer and exhortation, and be thus assembled to meet him. Some, in 1844, refused to harvest their crops. During the summer of 1846 they were organized into a society by Elder D. BOSWORTH, of Bristol, who became and has since been their pastor. A chapel was erected at Bowlville, at a cost of $1,000, having a seating capacity of 300 persons. Here preaching service is occasionally held by the pastor. The society is few in numbers, but they have usually been men of sterling integrity.

    "Roman Catholic -- The last church organization was the Roman Catholic. This was in 1874, and by Patrick KELLY and John DORSEY. It consisted of thirty-four members. Their church edifice was erected in 1875, and cost $4,000. Rev. Charles BOYLAN was the first priest. They have now a membership of more than eighty families, mostly of Irish and French descent. Rev. Father LANE, of Rutland, presides over the church. 

      Such has been the origin and growth of the several church bodies. They have each been defended with true Puritan zeal and steadfastness. Each has contained followers with tenacity equal to the early Puritans -- and some at times with a spirit akin to the Mathers at Salem. They have been the bulwarks of our civilization, containing our most earnest and reliable citizens, and have ever been respected and respectable."


      Mount Holly is divided into twelve school districts, in which schools are maintained several months of each year. The inhabitants of the town have always shown a commendable degree of interest in the cause of education, and particularly in more recent years; several commodious and comfortable school houses have been erected and care taken to secure excellent teachers.


      For an account of the physicians who have practiced in Mount Holly in past years the reader is referred to the previous chapter devoted to the medical profession. The venerable Dr. John CROWLEY is still a resident of the town, and in that chapter a sketch of his life will be found. Dr. T. A: COOTEY was born in Barnard, Windsor county, Vt., February 27, 1855. Studied his profession at Woodstock and Burlington, where he graduated in 1880. He began practicing at once in Mechanicsville.

      The only lawyer who ever resided in this town was Ira V. Randall. He was a native of the town and remained here about three years after his admission to the bar in 1850. He removed to De Kalb, Ill., and became quite prominent` in his profession.


      There have never been any villages of prominence in Mount Holly; but there are several hamlets bearing distinctive names, at which more or less business is carried on. The largest of these is Mechanicsville, which is situated near the central part of the town.

      One of the early business industries of this place was the tannery which was started by Deacon Dan PECK, more than sixty years ago, on the site now occupied by Dr. T. A. COOTEY's house. Daniel TUBBS, of Clarendon, subsequently carried it on for some time and was succeeded by STONE & DERBY, who ran it for a long time. Leander DERBY, in company with Alanson WHITE and later with Henry W, BALL, operated it until it was abandoned some years since.

      The toy manufactory of Phillip E. CHASE* is located here and is an important industry. It was started in 1863 by his brother, A. P. CHASE, who sold an interest to Philip E. soon after. It has continued under Mr. CHASE's control since. Water and steam power are used and forty to fifty styles of children's wagons, wheelbarrows, carts, etc., are made. About fifty men are employed in the establishment. On this site was formerly a grist-mill for many years, which was last run by Benjamin PRIEST; a part of its old frame was used in erecting the toy factory. Mr. CHASE has a saw-mill in connection with his factory and uses annually about 800,000 feet of lumber in his business.

      Frederick PARMENTER carries on a chair stock factory, which he, and for a time at first with his father, Edwards PARMENTER, has run nearly thirty years; he purchased his father's interest.

      I. A. RUSSELL & Son (F. L. Russell) carry on a general store at Mechanicsville. It was built by Samuel HEMENWAY in 1843 or 1844, who conducted the  business a short time and was succeeded for a year or so by Parker SAWYER. After: he left it E. R. FAY kept it for five or six years; it was then run as a union store for a short time, Frank PARMENTER being clerk. This was succeeded by Harvey DICKERMAN four or five years; D. L. DAWLEY, eight years; N. B. PINNEY, a number of years; B. J. POWELL, one year; Charles W. PRIEST, eight years; the present proprietors succeeded Mr. PRIEST February 1, 1884.

      Samuel HEMENWAY kept a hotel at Mechanicsville many years ago in the house now occupied by Mrs. Abigail LIVINGSTONE, and there were inns in the town even before that. The hotel now kept by P. E. CHASE and owned by him, was opened in January, 1883.

**Elijah Chase, father of P. E., came to Mechanicsville about fifty years ago; he was a . shoemaker. His son, Phillip E., started on a whaling voyage in 1852 from New Bedford, Mass.; cruised about the Azore Islands a few months and then sailed for the coast of Brazil where several r, months were spent around the Rio de la Platte; thence he sailed around Cape Born and at one of the Chili ports he left the whaling vessel and spent a few months along that coast and Peru, returning then ID Boston. He also made a second voyage to the West Indies. In 1855 he entered the regular army, in the 2d regiment of cavalry, and spent over four years in Texas, returning home in 1860. At the breaking out of the Rebellion he enlisted in Company I, 2d Vermont Regiment and went out as sergeant; was made second lieutenant of Company A, same regiment, and promoted to first lieutenant appointed captain of Company G, same regiment, and was mustered out with the organization.

      A post-office has been maintained here fifty years or more, of which Deacon Dan PECK was postmaster in its early existence. On the 1st of April, 1884, F. L. RUSSELL was appointed to the office, as successor to C. W. PRIEST. In the fall of 1885 Frank PARMENTER superseded Mr. RUSSELL.

      Tarbellville is a hamlet about a mile west of Mechanicsville; it received its name from Marshall TARBELL, a prominent citizen. A store is kept here by M. G. WILLIAMS, which was originated by Marshall TARBELL about 1871, in which year he built it. S. H. LIVINGSTON kept it until 1876; PUFFER & PETTINGILL, 1877;. F. H. PUFFER, two years, 1879; M. TARBELL, one year, 1880; C. F. IVES, two years, 1882; MORSE & RANGER, two years, and were succeeded by the present proprietor.

      The mills at this point were first built more than sixty years ago, and were first burned about forty years ago; they were at once rebuilt by Luther and  Calvin TARBELL, father and uncle of Marshall; the latter took possession about seventeen years ago and has since conducted a large manufacturing business; previous to the time last mentioned he was variously interested with others. The last fire occurred January 5, 1878, and caused a loss of about eight thousand dollars. The business now comprises the manufacture of lumber, rakes and chair stock. The capacity of the mill is about. 600,000 feet of lumber per year; the rake factory turns out from 3,000 dozen to 4,000 dozen a year, and the manufacture of chair stock consumes 300,000 to 500,000 feet of lumber annually.

      The Tarbellville cheese factory was established in 1874, by A. W. DICKERMAN, S. H. LIVINGSTON and Marshall TARBELL; the latter became its owner very soon after its commencement. It uses the milk of 400 cows and manufactures from 80,000 to 100,000 pounds of cheese annually.

      Mount Holly is a hamlet near the central part of the town and en the railroad. The first post-office in the town was established here, in which Darius GREEN was postmaster in 1825. George MEAD had the office several years and in 1871 David HORTON took it, continuing until October, 1885, when M. J. HOLDEN was appointed.

      There was formerly a store kept on the corner opposite Mr. HORTON's place of business, which was built by Jonah IVES about 1846. He, with his son-in-law, Mr. MILLER, conducted it for a number of years. David HORTON has kept a store here since 1871. This point has telephone connection with perhaps more places than any other town in the county, embracing Rutland, Cuttingsvile, Ludlow, Proctor, Cavendish, Chester, Bartonville, Rockingham, Bellows Falls, Keene, N. H., Plainfield, N. H., Windsor, White River junction and Claremont; also, Troy, Whitehall, Glens Falls, Fairhaven, Castleton, Centre Rutland, Mechanicsville, Tarbellville, Allard's Mills, East Wallingford, Horton’s Mill, Weston, Londonderry, Woodstock, Springfield, Wethersfield and other points.

      Bowlville is a settlement about two miles west of Mount Holly Station and is also on the railroad ; it takes its name from being the location of a factory where wooden bowls, etc., were made. A cheese factory was established here in the spring of 1884, which is owned by George SHERMAN and operated by Charles F. GUILD.

      Hortonville is a settlement in the north part of the town, about one and a half miles from Mount Holly railroad station.  We have spoken of Aaron HORTON being an early settler in the town. He was the father of Andrew HORTON and the grandfather of David HORTON. David HORTON built a mill here about 1848, and some twenty years ago it passed to the possession of his brother, Warren, having been in the mean time owned by Nathaniel HORTON, and later by Orville SPENCER. It was run by water at first, but steam is now used, and from 300,000 to 400,000 feet of lumber manufactured annually.

      Healdville is a small settlement, post-office and railroad station in the east part of the town. There was formerly a steam, mill here which was owned by W. B. & J. P. HOSKISON, which did a large business; it was burned in 1872 and not rebuilt. J. P. HOSKISON is postmaster.

      Besides the manufactories mentioned it should be stated that the first grist-mill in the town was built by Jethro JACKSON about the year 1802, at the site of Bowlville. A few years later another was built at Mechanicsville by Abraham JACKSON, and still later another was built by Captain Joseph GREEN near Healdville, in the east part of the town. None of these is now in existence. There was formerly a carding-machine in operation in the north part of the town and one at Mechanicsville, both of which were long ago abandoned. 

      In addition to the present interests there are Daniel C. ALLARD's mills in the west part of the town about two miles from Mechanicsville. They were erected, or built over, on the site of GREENWOOD & PARMENTER's old mill, which was originally built by Edward CHILSON, of East Wallingford, more than thirty years ago. Mr. ALLARD rebuilt the mills in 1876, and they embrace the saw-mill and a chair stock manufactory.

      Parmenter & Johnson's mills (Frederick PARMENTER and Gilbert E. JOHNSON), are located about half a mile southwest of Mechanicsville. The mill was built by A. W. DICKERMAN and Windsor NEWTON. A quantity of chair stock and about 400,000 feet of lumber are made annually.

History of Rutland County Vermont with Illustrations and Biographical 
Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
Edited by H. Y. Smith & W. S. Rann
Syracuse, N. Y.
D. Mason & Co., Publishers  1886
History of the Town of Danby
Chapter XXXI.
(pages  673-691)

Transcribed by Karima, 2002

      Notable natives of Mount Holly include Nathan Turner Sprague, financier and railroad president, Parker Earle, President of the Illinois State Horticultural Society and Charles Winfield Parmenter, President of the Massachusetts Teachers Association and American Institute of Instruction.

Childs' History of the Town of Mt. Holly, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82
Childs' Gazetteer and Business Directory of the Town of Mt. Holly, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82