is the southwestern town in Rutland county, and is bounded on the north
by Wells; on the east by Danby; on the south by Rupert, and on the west
by Hebron and Granville, N. Y. It is six miles square and contains 23,040
acres. It is divided from north to south by a range of mountains, nearly
through its center, which range is flanked on the west by another of lesser
height; its most prominent mountain is Haystack, and others are South Mountain,
North Mountain and Middle Mountain. The principal river is the Pawlet,
or Metowee, which rises in Dorset, flows across the corner of Rupert and
crosses this town diagonally from southeast to northwest. Its principal
tributaries are Flower Brook, which rises in Danby and empties into Pawlet
River near the village, and Indian River, which crosses the southwest corner
of the town and joins the larger stream in Granville. Wells Brook joins
it in the northwest corner of the town.
The soil in the town
is varied in its character, and while gravelly loam preponderates, limestone,
clay, slate, etc., are found. The entire surface was, of course, originally
covered by a luxuriant forest. In early years the raising of grain and
stock was the leading industry; this has since given way to more extended
grazing and later to dairying.
This town was chartered
to Jonathan WILLARD and sixty-seven others by Benning WENTWORTH, under
date of August 26, 1761.
The usual reservations were made for a church lot, the propagation of the
Gospel in foreign parts and for the benefit of the schools of the town.
But few of the original grantees ever settled in the town, and the oncoming
of the Revolution and the long controversy with New York had the effect
for a period of delaying settlement. In 1770, there were but nine families
in the town. At the close of the Revolution, however, many soldiers who
had passed over the region during their service, were so pleased with it
that they came in and purchased lands; often of speculators, who stood
between the original proprietors and themselves, at immoderate prices.
Captain Jonathan WILLARD,
the principal grantee and settler of Pawlet, was from Roxbury, Mass. Considerable
of the earlier part of his life was passed in Colchester, Conn., and later
years in Albany and other parts of New York State; and at the time of his
first visit to the New Hampshire Grants (1760) he was engaged in the lumber
business at Old Saratoga. He selected three townships of land, and after
securing his charter, repaired to Colchester, Conn., and informed his friends
of what he had done. For merely nominal considerations (in many instances,
it is said, a mug of flip or a new hat), he purchased the rights of those
named in the charter, until he owned just two-thirds of the town. The other
third he was anxious to have settled, and accordingly in the same year
(1761), Simon BURTON and William FAIRFIELD came in town. Mr. BURTON was
voted fifty acres of land on account of his being the first settler; he
was proprietors' clerk in 1769, according to the oldest records in existence
here. He lived at North Pawlet to a good old age and died about 1810.
The next year, 1762,
Captain WILLARD came in with nine hired men and several horses; they cleared
several acres and sowed wheat, returning to his home in the fall. He met
with some heavy losses and in 1764 or 1765, returned with his family to
his clearing; he was a man of strong character and respected by all with
whom he came in contact. His sons were Colonel Samuel WILLARD and Joseph
WILLARD. Joseph had sons, Andrew, who lived and died in town; George, who
removed to Castleton, and John. Others of the WILLARD family who lived
in town were Silas, who died in Granville, N. Y., in 1859; his brother,
Dr. James H., who removed to Ohio in 1830.
In briefly alluding to
some of the early settlers and their descendants, we are indebted largely
to the information collected by Hiel HOLLISTER for his history of Pawlet.
Gideon ADAMS settled in 1770, where George KNIGHTS now lives, or very near
there; he became conspicuous and was in the Legislature in 1778, serving
in all six years, and was town clerk and justice thirty-nine years; died
Timothy ALLEN came from
Woodbury, Conn., in 1768. He was a cousin of Ethan ALLEN and located where
David G. BLOSSOM now lives. He was an estimable citizen, of earnest piety;
was moderator of the town meeting of 1770. Among his children was
Caleb ALLEN, who came with his father and became a large dealer in lands;
gave the cemetery in the north part of the town to the school district
in which it is situated. He died in 1804, and was succeeded on the homestead
by his son, Daty, who kept the place until 1816. Timothy ALLEN, jr., removed
to Hartford, N. Y., in 1814. He was the father of Rev. Barns ALLEN and
Hon. Alanson ALLEN, who was conspicuous in the history of Fairhaven.
John ALLEN came from
Danby and settled in the town in 1815, with his sons, Nathan and Elisha;
he died in 1852. Elisha settled on the place now owned by the widow of
Albert A. BOYNTON, and built the brick louse there. He was a leading
member of the Methodist Church; was in the Legislature four years, two
of them in the Senate, and judge of the County Court three years; town
clerk nineteen years and director of the Poultney Bank several years; he
died in 1856, aged sixty-two.
John H. ANDRUS settled
on the present "town farm" in 1820; lie was a judge of the County Court
and of note in the community. Captain Zebediah ANDRUS, from Norwich, settled
in 1784 on the present homestead of David R. SMITH; he died in 1804. His
son of the same name came in with his father and died in 1830. Another
son of the pioneer was Asa, sen., who died in the town in 1821. Asa, jr.,
succeeded to his father's homestead but removed to Lockport, N. Y., in
1821. Rev. Lemon ANDRUS was a son of Asa, jr.; hewas licensed to preach
at West Pawlet in 1821, and removed from the townabout 1830. Benjamin ANDRUS,
son of Zebediah, jr., settled on the mountain near Rupert, and died in
1864. He had four sons and one daughter, all of whom located in that vicinity.
Joseph ARMSTRONG settled
in the northeast part of the town as early as 1776 and kept a tavern where
the widow of Curtis REED now lives, for twenty-five years. His sons were
Jasper, Jesse and Phineas. The latter settled at the village and died in
Jonathan ARNOLD, from
Connecticut, was an early settler, and died in Granville, N. Y., in 1838.
His son, Jeremiah, was an early postrider and a deacon of the Baptist Church.
He removed to Wisconsin.
General Elisha AVERILL,
from New Milford, Conn., was one of the prominent early settlers. He was
the first captain .of the Light Infantry and had a store near the house
where Frederick SMITH lives; he removed west in 1803 and died in Manchester,
N. Y., in 1821.
Remember BAKER, who was
so conspicuous in connection with Ethan ALLEN and in the early stirring
events of the history of Vermont, was a proprietor and temporary resident
of this town as early as 1768. He built a grist-mill where John MARTIN
now lives, one of the earliest in town. He was killed by the Indians not
long afterward, near St. Johns, Canada, at the age of thirtyfive.
Elijah BAKER came from
Canterbury and settled in the south part of the town in 1786, with his
three sons, Ebenezer, Rufus and Ichabod, all of whom had large families.
He died in 1811.
Daniel BALDRIDGE settled
where Henry SMITH lives, in 1785. His sons were Daniel, jr., and Edward.
James, son of Edward, succeeded to the homestead and died in 1862. Most
of his large family removed to Rupert, where they are prominent.
Elisha BARRETT came to
the town in 1804 and died in 1828; he was the father of four sons, Charles,
Elijah, Elisha and Levi. Elijah remained in the town and had a large family;
two of his sons, Charles and Merritt C., died in the service.
Aaron BENNETT, from Canterbury,
Conn., settled about 1784 near the present residence of Evan EVANS, and
raised a numerous family. Samuel, a brother of Aaron, came in about the
same time. Banks BENNETT, of another family, settled in 1790 near the residence
of Erwin PRATT; he died in 1829.
Selah BETTS, of Norfolk,
Conn., settled in 1783 on the farm now owned by Willis BETTS, of Poultney.
He was in the Revolutionary War and died in 1826; John BETTS and his brother,
Selah, jr., succeeded to the homestead. The former had a family of six
sons and two daughters.
James BIGART, a native
of Scotland, came to this town when a boy with his father. He kept the
Vermont Hotel at North Pawlet a number of years, closing in 1852. He became
conspicuous in horse breeding and brought out the celebrated "Rattler."
He removed to Sandy Hill.
Jonathan BIDWELL settled
on what was known as the John STARK farm, in 1810, and died in 1839. His
family consisted of one son and five daughters.
David BLAKELY came from
Woodbury, Conn., in 1782 and settled where Frank BLAKELY now owns; he became
a successful and respected citizen, and died in 1821.
Captain David BLAKELY,
jr., settled where his son, Walton, now lives. He was a member of the Legislature
two years and was long a deacon of the Congregational Church. He had six
sons and four daughters. The oldest son became the Rev. Jacob E. BLAKELY
and was settled over the Congregational Church of Poultney; he died in
1854. The second son, Quincy, also became a minister. Dan BLAKELY, son
of the pioneer, succeeded to the homestead and had a family of five sons
and two daughters; he was a public spirited and influential citizen and
died in 1862.
Jonathan BLAKELY, came
from Connecticut in 1785 and settled at Pawlet village; he died in 1845,
at the age of seventy.
Captain Seth BLOSSOM,
from Falmouth, Mass., settled in the town in 1783 and removed to Batavia,
N. Y., in 1829. David C. BLOSSOM came from Wells in 1816, and settled on
the Timothy ALLEN farm. He was the father of seven children, of whom David
G. is the only one remaining in town and one of the leading citizens of
Hon. Jonathan BRACE,
of Glastenbury, Conn., settled here in 1780, where the widow of Casper
LEACH lives, and was probably the first attorney. He was a member of the
Council of Censors in 1785, but returned to Connecticut in a few years
and became a prominent man.
Daniel BRANCH was an
early settler (1784) in the northeast part of the town, near the David
BLAKELY place; he died in 1822. His son, Joseph, was a prominent business
man and ran one of the early lines of stages from Burlington to New York;
he died in 1853.
Captain Milton BROWN
settled in 1815 about one-half mile east of the village, and was agent
of the cotton factory some thirty years; was three years in the Legislature,
bank director and deacon in the Congregational Church. He removed to Potsdam,
N. Y., in 1853.
Elijah BROWN came from
Stamford, Conn., and settled on the homestead occupied in later years by
his son, Gerry; he died in 1835, after a useful life. The son, Gerry, lived
to 1864. Seely BROWN, from the same place, came here in 1780 and settled
in the north part of the town. He was an enterprising citizen; gave the
site of the church at West Pawlet to the society; built at the falls near
by a saw-mill and clover-mill. He died in 1809.
Deacon Benajah BUSHNELL
was an early settler and lived west of the village on the Alonzo SMITH
place; he was an honored citizen and died in 1814, at the age of seventy-one.
Nathaniel CARVER located
in the northwest part of the town. He had a family of seven children, and
died in 1805 at the age of fifty-two; his son, John, died in 1864, aged
seventy-eight; David settled where Myron SHAW now lives; Chester L. died
in the asylum for insane at Brattleboro in 1863. The family were conspicuous
for their intelligence and educational requirements.
Dr. Lemuel CHIPMAN, who
has already been mentioned in the chapter devoted to the medical profession,
came from Connecticut in 1780 and located near where Mrs. Casper LEACH
lives. He belonged to a family whose deeds shed a brilliant radiance on
the history of the county and State. He was the first president of the
State Medical Society and was eight years in the Legislature. He removed
to Richmond, N. Y., in 1798. Dr. Cyrus CHIPMAN, his brother, was also a
prominent figure and removed to Michigan about 1820.
The CLARK families have
been somewhat conspicuous in the history of the town. Elisha CLARK was
from Suffield, Conn., and settled in 1784 next south of the present town
farm. He removed to Orwell in 1795 and lived to a great age. His sons who
remained in town were Ozias, Daniel, Joseph and Asahel.
Colonel Ozias CLARK was
a man of great energy and activity and an influential member of society;
lived about a mile east of Pawlet village; was deacon of the Congregational
Church forty-seven years; one of the corporators of the Pawlet Manufacturing
Company (incorporated 1814), which operated the first cotton-mill in Rutland
county, and was otherwise prominent. He died in 1855, leaving a family
of eight children, one of whom was Fitch CLARK, who was also a leading
citizen of the town and father of a large family; another was Robert, who
kept the village hotel several years, and also raised a large family. Daniel
CLARK, second son of Elisha, had a family of eleven children and died in
1842. Captain Joseph CLARK, third son of Elisha died in 1820, and none
of his family remain in town. Asahel CLARK, the other son, located on his
father's place, and died in 1859; he had but one son, Ephraim F.
Hon. Aaron CLARK, was
a native of the town, son of David CLARK, and born in 1791; lie graduated
from Union College; was private secretary to Governor Daniel D. TOMPKINS
and clerk of the Assembly. In 1826 he removed to New York city and was
mayor in 1840-41.
Moses CLEVELAND settled
early in the north part of the town where he passed a long life, dying
in 1820. His son Asa succeeded to the homestead and died in 1864. Another
son, Augustus, was a colonel in the War of 1812. Palmer CLEVELAND came
from Salem, N. Y., became a large farmer and tanner He removed to Indiana
Gideon COBB came from
Connecticut among the earliest settlers and brought his family; he died
in 1798. John and Joshua were his sons. The former lived near the village
and the latter where Josiah SHERMAN lives. John removed to Orwell and Joshua
to Vernon, N. Y. Josiah D. COBB married a daughter of Ozias CLARK and was
a deacon in the Congregational Church from 1835 to 1847, when he removed
Titus A. COOK enjoyed
the honor of being the first person born in the town, the event occurring
on the 22d of July, 1768. He settled near Granville, N. Y., and died in
John COOK came from Sandisfield,
Mass., and settled at an early day near Sherman WEED's present residence;
he was one of the early manufacturers of lime in the town. Mahlon, John
and Erasmus D. were his sons, the latter succeeding to the homestead.
John CRAPO carne from
Massachusetts about 1814, and located where his son, Alden B., afterwards
lived. He died in 1862 and was greatly respected.
Josiah CROCKER, from
Falmouth, Mass., settled in the north part of the town in 1783, and had
a family of six sons and several daughters, to whom he gave special educational
advantages; none of them resides in town. Mr. CROCKER died in 1846.
Phineas and Ithamar CROUCH
were early settlers in the west part of the town and had families, nearly
all of whom removed to other parts.
Eldad CURTIS came from
Connecticut at an early day and located on the place occupied in later
years by Robert STEVENS. His son Aaron succeeded to the homestead, and
there during the War of 1812 carried on an extensive rope-walk. He removed
Captain Simeon EDGERTON,
from Norwich, Conn., settled in 1781 in the town and was looked upon as
one of its fathers, having had ninety-five descendants at the time of his
death in 1809. He located on the place now owned by Richard LANE. Five
sons, Jedediah, Jacob, John, Simeon and David, with eight daughters, came
with him. He became a prominent citizen and was inthe Legislature two years.
Jedediah removed to Moriah, N. Y., in 1803. Jacob settled in this town
and was the father of ten children, one of whom is the venerable Jacob
EDGERTON of Rutland; Jacob's other sons were Sheldon, Hiram, Abraham, George
and David. John, son of Simeon, settled on the homestead afterward occupied
by his son Charles F.; he was town clerk ten years from 1815, and died
in 1827. Captain Simeon, jr., succeeded to his father's homestead. He was
a deacon in the Congregational Church and held a number of offices, dying
in 1862; his sons were Porter and John G. Sheldon EDGERTON and Charles
F. were both sent to the Legislature by their townsmen, and were influential
Abiathar EVANS was a
prominent soldier in the Revolution and died in 1831. He has a number of
descendants living in this vicinity.
EVEREST was another Revolutionary patriot and a representative in the first
Legislature of the State in 1778.
William FAIRFIELD was
the second settler in the town and as such received a gratuity of thirty
acres of land ; but he espoused the royal cause and iris property was confiscated
and he sought refuge in Canada.
Dr. Jonas FAY passed
the later years of his life here and was an honored citizen. He was contemporary
with Ethan ALLEN and his associates and one of the founders of the State;
was clerk of the Council of Safety; clerk of the convention of 1777 that
declared Vermont a free state, and a supreme court judge. He lived in the
north part of the town.
Colonel William FITCH
was one of the earliest settlers and most prominent citizens of the town.
He was employed by the Council of Safety to furnish supplies for the troops
raised to repel the invasion of Burgoyne. He owned the first saw and grist-mills
built at the village by William BRADFORD, and also kept the first store
in town; the village was known on early maps as "Pitch's Mills." He died
in 1798. His children were John, Sina, Anna, Rachel, Sibel, Abial and Margaret.
Daniel FITCH, from Norwich,
Conn., was another early settler (1784), locating where William MOORE now
owns, in the east part of the town. He died in 1809, leaving nine children;
his sons removed to other localities, excepting Daniel, jr., who located
where Lucius M. CARPENTER lived in later years; he had three sons.
Joseph FITCH, of another
family of this name, came from Norwich, Conn., and settled in town in 1776.
He became one of the foremost citizens and exerted a large influence for
the good of the community. He had seven children, most of whom settled
in the town, and died in 1830, aged eighty-four. His son Ephraim was a
prominent citizen; was in the Legislature three years; built the brick
tavern at the village, which he kept, and also carried on milling and mercantile
business. He was instantly killed in 1813 while cutting ice from his wheel.
His son Dorastus was long an active business man in the village and mainly
instrumental in erecting the Pawlet Academy; was postmaster nineteen years
and died in 1860. Rev. Ferris FITCH was another son who removed to Ohio.
Captain Benjamin FITCH, another son of Joseph, lived on the farm with his
father; was a leader in the Democratic party in early years and a very
popular man; he died in 1823. Asahel settled at the village and carried
on tanning till he removed west in 1824, and Silas was a merchant and removed
to Michigan about 1840.
Zebulon GIBBS, who died
in 1855, was an early settler near West Pawlet; and Gideon GIFFORD, from
Massachusetts, came in 1792; served through the Revolution; his son, Captain
Noah, served in the War of 1812 and spent his life in town.
Samuel GOODSPEED from
Barnstable, Mass., settled here in 1790, raised a large family, and died
in 1844; his son, Zenas, succeeded to the homestead and died in 1863.
Ebenezer GILES, a Revolutionary
soldier, settled in 1807 near West Pawlet; he kept a store in the village
in 1816 and died in 1838.
Beriah GREEN, from Randolph
in 1815, settled in town and some of the members of his numerous family
became very prominent. The Rev. Beriah GREEN, jr., graduated at Middlebury
College and was conspicuous in the anti-slavery agitation; and his brother,
Jonathan S., became a missionary.
Major Sylvanus GREGORY
came from Suffield, Conn., in 179o and lived in the village where Damon
WHEELER now owns; he carried on the hatter's business here; his family
comprised eight children, the oldest son, Silas, remaining in the town
through along life.
Rev. John GRISWOLD, of
Lebanon, N. H., came into the town in 1792 and succeeded Rev. Lewis BEEBE
as pastor of the Congregational Church in 1793; he died in 1852. His son
Harry was town clerk here fronm 1846 to his death in 1848, at the age of
William HANKS settled
early, coming from Suffield, Conn. His sons who located here were Oliver,
Jonah and Arunah. Oliver held the position of justice fifty-one years and
was much respected; was also in the Legislature four years; his son Galusha
settled at West Pawlet. Joseph operated the grist-mill which his father
built on the Pawlet River, but removed to West Virginia in 1816. Arunah
succeeded to the homestead; he was the father of seventeen children and
died in 1830.
Joseph HASCALL came from
Bennington in 1787, and became a man of prominence in the town. Of his
family of ten children several attained positions of honor which they were
enabled to reach through the excellent advantages given them by their parents.
Ashbel HOLLISTER came
from Glastenbury in 1781. He was in the Revolutionary War; his sons were
Ashbel W., Orange, David, A. Sidney, Horace, Harvey, Hiel, and a daughter,
Mary. Of these, Hiel HOLLISTER spent his life in the town as a farmer,
school-teacher and merchant, and is the father of six children. He is the
author of the history of Pawlet, published in 1867, and now lives in Granville,
Other settlers of this
name were Innett HOLLISTER, who came here in 1781 and became prominent;
held several town offices and was in the Legislature three years from 1816;
had six children and died in 1844; and Elijah HOLLISTER, who located in
the northwest part of the town in 1782; he removed to Allegheny county,
N. Y., and died about 1840.
Daniel HULETT came from
Killingly, Conn., in 1780 and settled about two and a half miles east of
the village; he took part in the battle of Saratoga, was an industrious
man and accumulated a handsome property; he died in 1838, leaving three
sons, Paul, Daniel and Joshua, and seven daughters. Paul was also a large
land owner and located near the village in 1820; he had a family of nine
children and died in 1845. Daniel HULETT, jr., settled near his father;
had ten children, of whom Tobias succeeded to the homestead; he died in
1836. Joshua settled in the east part of the town, where lie died in 1858.
Joshua, jr., also spent his life in the town.
Ephraim JONES came from
Plainfield, Conn., in 1790 and located where G. W. Burt now lives; he had
a family of eleven children, most of whom left the town. Two of his sons,
Joel and Asa S., carried on woolen manufacture several years in the mill
afterwards owned by Enoch COLVIN. He died in 1839, at the age of sixty-nine.
James LEACH, from Canterbury,
Conn., came in about 1780. He was a conspicuous man in the councils of
the town and was sent to the Legislature three years. He died in 1835.
His son, Lovell, succeeded to the homestead (where Mr. YOUNG now lives),
and lived to a good old age. Another son, James, was in the Legislature
in 1859-60, and a prominent citizen ; and Ebenezer, the third son, became
one of the wealthiest men in the community.
Oliver LOOMIS, from East
Windsor, Conn., in 1785, settled where Orla LOOMIS now lives. He died in
1837. His son Gideon located on the same farm and had six children, of
whom Orla is one.
Captain Abner LUMBARD
settled in 1784 where Charles E. Taylor lives, coming from Brimfield, Mass.,
and engaged in the cloth-dressing business; he, died in 1861, having had
six children, of whom Chester lived in the village and was a manufacturer.
James MAHER settled about
1783 where Samuel CULVER now resides; he died 1824. His son William was
one of the first manufacturers of cut nails in the country.
Cornwell MARKS came front
Glastonbury, Conn., in 1785, and died in 1857. Of their five children William
espoused Mormonism. Ira, another son, settled at West Pawlet, kept a store
and operated a starch factory and stocking factory.
Captain Asa MEACHAM settled
in the village in 1781, but removed to Richland, N. Y., in 1804. Captain
Abraham MEACHAM came here in 1787, and removed later to the West.
Captain Josiah MONROE
came from Canterbury, Conn., in 1784, and located where the widow of A.
A. MONROE now lives. His brother Jesse also came about the same time and
settled where E. S. SOULLARD now lives. The former died in 1846, in the
esteem of the community, and his son William succeeded to the homestead.
Asa A. MONROE was in the Legislature in 1856-57. Jesse removed to Poultney
and died in 1858.
Theron NORTON was one
of the successful merchants at West Pawlet and became wealthy; removed
to Chicago about 1834.
Timothy NYE, from Falmouth,
Mass., settled in 1783 at the foot of Haystack Mountain, where James Alexander
lives; he died in 1847, his son Nathaniel succeeding to the homestead.
Colonel Stephen PEARL
settled early in the south part of the town, where he kept a store and
tavern. He was in command of the force gathered to suppress the "Rebellion"
at Rutland in 1786; he removed to Burlington in 1794 and died in 1816.
John PENFIELD carne to
this town from Pittsford in 1803; he belonged to a prominent family; had
twelve children and was deacon in the Congregational Church; removed to
Whitehall in 1840.
Simeon PEPPER came from
New Braintree, Mass., in 1783, and settled in the west part of the town.
He died in 1822, having had six children; Simeon, jr., who died in 1851;
John settled near his father; Chauncey P. located at West Pawlet, and was
a brick maker; was the father of seven children.
Deacon Moses PORTER came
to Vermont in 1780 from Connecticut, and settled on a farm of Frederick
S. WEED. He was in the Revolutionary War under General PUTNAM and won his
major's commission at Bemis's Heights. He died in 1803. His son, Deacon
Joseph PORTER, succeeded to his father's estate, and became an influential
citizen; he died in 1840.
Captain William POTTER
located at an early day where his son Joshua now lives; he died in 1863;
his son Samuel also settled in this town and practiced medicine several
Captain James PRATT settled
in 1792 where Ervin PRATT now resides; he came from Ware, Mass., originally,
and from Halifax to this town. He was an officer in the Revolutionary War
and one of the most respected citizens of the town; he died in 1834. His
son Ervin has also received evidences of the confidence and esteem of his
townsmen; was sent to the Legislature in 1863-64, and evinced a great interest
in the welfare of our soldiers in the field.
Simeon REED, from Duchess
county, N. Y., 1776, settled on a farm now owned by Daniel BROWN in the
northeast part of the town. He was a minuteman at Ticonderoga at the time
of Burgoyne's invasion. He was the father of twelve children and died in
1840. Stephen settled near his father and was a prominent citizen; the
same may be said of Silas REED.
Jedediah REED, from New
London, Conn., in 1770, settled in the northeast part and was also a Revolutionary
Isaac REED located in
the southeast part of the town and died about 1850. He was in the Revolution.
Captain Nathaniel ROBINSON
came from Attleboro, Mass., in 1812; he had been in the Revolution and
held commissions. He, in connection with his sons, was the first to establish
cotton spinning by machinery in this county. He died in 1841. Jonathan,
his son, died in 1862. Nathaniel, jr., was possessed of great mechanical
skill and was machinist for the cotton factory for thirty years, building
much of the complicated machinery himself.
Captain Ephraim ROBINSON
came from Windham, Conn., in 1785, and settled about two miles southwest
of the village. He became a prominent citizen and died in 1843, his son,
Ephraim, jr., taking the homestead; the latter died in 1857. Richard, a
brother of the elder Ephraim, settled west of the latterand died in 1838.
Abel was another brother who located in the same neighborhood.
Ebenezer ROLLIN located
near the Frary bridge about 1800, and carried on the tanning business;
he removed to Johnsburg, N. Y., about 1820.
Major Roger ROSE settled
before 1770 in the south part of the town; he was one of the delegates
to the Dorset convention of 1776, and died about 1800.
George RUSH, from Schoharie,
N. Y., settled in the east part of the town and died in 1820 at the great
age of one hundred and ten years; he had two sons.
Captain Seth SHELDON
came from Suffield, Conn., in 1782 and located half a mile east of the
village; he was a leading citizen and had a large family of children, who
removed away in later years. Captain Seth, jr., succeeded to the homestead
and removed to Chautauqua county, N. Y., about 1831.
Joel SIMONDS came from
Massachusetts about 1780; he was father of a large family and died in 1821.
He lived on the BIGART place and kept a tavern there, afterward removing
to the place now owned by Ossian SIMONDS. Joel, jr., succeeded to the homestead;
was a leading citizen and gave his nine children unusual educational advantages;
he died in 1850. Colonel Benjamin SIMONDS, a brother of the senior Joel,
was in command of the military post in this town in 1777.
Captain Nathaniel SMITH
came here with several brothers at an early day. He was in the Legislature
in 1795-96, and died in 1807. His brothers left the town early. Captain
Benoni SMITH settled in 1781 where Marshall Brown lives. He was the means
of bringing a large number of settlers to the town and contributed in other
ways to the growth of the place. He built a grist and sawmill on his premises
soon after his arrival, and died in 1799. His son, Josiah, settled where
Horatio HOLLISTER lives and was a leading citizen and the father of ten
children. Another son, Reuben, located near his father, and kept one of
the early taverns.
Captain John STARK came
here prior to 1770; was a leading citizen and a large landholder and settled
on the farm of Mr. HAMMOND; he was a cousin of General STARK and commanded
a company in tile battle of Hubbardton; was one of the first judges appointed
in the State (in 1788). He removed to Grand Isle about 1800 and was soon
afterward instantly killed by the kick of a horse.
Peter STEVENS came from
Glastenbury, Conn., in 1783 and located where Myron SHAW lives; was one
of a family of fourteen children, and died in 1838. His brother Jonathan
located in that vicinity and was considered the father of the woolen manufacturing
business of the town. In 1812, he, in company with John STRONG, erected
the first woolen-mill in town at West Pawlet. In 1832, he built a large
mill on Pawlet River, which was burned about 1850. He then removed to Granville
where he operated a mill several years and was succeeded by his son, Robert
R. He died in 1865. Another brother in this family succeeded to his father's
estate and built the mansion now occupied by Mr. Shaw. He removed to Granville
Return STRONG came from
Suffield, Conn., in 1784 and died in this town in 1807. His son Phineas
settled at the village and carried on a mercantile business, gaining the
esteem of his townsmen; he was sent to the Legislature two years and died
in 1839. Phineas's son, Martin D., succeeded to his father's business,
was postmaster four years and town clerk six years. He removed to Michigan
in 1854. Return STRONG, jr., also carried on mercantile business at the
village; was in the Legislature three years and deputy sheriff several
Captain Timothy STRONG
came from Connecticut about 1810; became a very enterprising citizen and
was instrumental in starting the breeding of Merino sheep in this town.
John STRONG, from Glastenbury, settled at West Pawlet and was engaged in
woolen manufacture. He removed to Sandy Hill, N. Y.
Samuel TAYLOR was one
of the early blacksmiths at the village and followed the occupation some
fifty years. He was from Springfield, Mass., in 1780, and lived on the
place now occupied by Earl DANFORTH. He had five sons, all brought up to
the same business. He died in 1844.
Josiah TOBY came from
Falmouth, Mass., in 1783 and settled in the north part of the town. He
was father of seven children and died in 1843. Colonel Josiah, jr., succeeded
to the homestead; held the office of justice and was much esteemed. He
died in 1863. Reuben TOBY, from the same place in the same year, settled
three miles north of the village; was one of the first deacons of the Baptist
Church and removed to Pittsford, N. Y., in 1850.
Seth VIETS came from
Granby, Conn., in 1780 and settled in the west part of the town; he died
in 1823 and his son of the same name succeeded to the homestead and had
a large family.
Alpheus WADE came from
Rhode Island in 1785 and settled near the center of the town. He was the
father of a large family to whom he gave exceptional educational advantages;
they all removed from the town.
David WEEKS, from Hardwick,
Mass, in 1801, settled south of the village and conducted a tannery more
than fifty years, the latter part of the time with his sons, Rich and Seth
B. His son Salmon carried on tanning for a time at the village. Samuel
WEEKS also come from Hardwick in 1801, spent his life and raised a large
family in the town.
Daniel WELCH, from Norwich,
Conn., was one of the earliest settlers in the town and located on the
present town farm; he removed to Mendon, N. Y., in 1822.
Edmund WHEDON, one of
the substantial citizens of the town, came here from Connecticut in 1787,
locating where John AYRES now lives. He was an enterprising man and contributed
largely to the advancement of West Pawlet, where he erected some of the
first mills in the town; he removed to Cayuga county, N. Y., in 1815. His
brother Ansel settled south of Edmund and accumulated a large property;
he died in 1826. David WHEDON settled on the Edmund WHEDON homestead and
was an esteemed citizen; he died in 1858. His son, David, jr., kept a store
at the village from 1843 to 1854, the latter part of the time with Hiram
WICKHAM, and removed to Albion in the last named year.
Isaac WICKMAN, from Glastenbury,
settled in the town in 1799, and became a man of commanding influence;
lie died in 1835. His son, Hiram, was town clerk many years and a director
in the Battenkill Bank.
On an earlier page, we
have briefly alluded to Jonathan WILLARD, one of the proprietors of the
town. Of his sons, Colonel Samuel and family left the town and settled
mostly in northern New York. Joseph died in 1829. His son, Andrew, passed
a long life in the town. Silas WILLARD settled at the village, but died
in Granville, N. Y., in 1859.
Andrew WINCHESTER came
from New Lebanon, Conn., in 1786 and settled where Norman WINCHESTER now
lives; Norman is his son. Joel was another son, who was an estimable citizen
of the town and died in 1 846.
David WOOD, from Plymouth,
Mass., in 1792, located near where Silas WOOD now lives, and died in 1836.
His Son, Luther B., succeeded to the homestead and had a numerous family;
he died in 1865.
Henry WOOSTER, from Connecticut,
settled where John WISEMAN now lives, in 1780; he died in about 1820, leaving
two sons, Henry and Amos; the latter succeeded to the homestead and had
a family of twelve children. He died in 1836. Samuel WRIGHT
settled early in the town and was a noted hunter and trapper. His son,
Samuel, jr., settled near his father and became an influential man. He
built a linseed oil-mill in 1814, and removed to Michigan about 1850.
The foregoing embrace
most of the names of those to whose efforts in the early years the present
generation are indebted for the building up of the town and the advancement
of all of its varied interests. Of others who settled inthe town of whom
still briefer mention must suffice, were the following: Harvey BAKER, who
came from Arlington about 1826, and kept a store south of the village with
Dr. Nathan JUDSON, and afterwards at the village; removed to Oswego, N.
Y. Lemuel BARDEN, who came from Dighton, Mass., about 1814 succeeded
Ephraim FITCH in the brick hotel at the village, which he kept until about
1830; he died in 1869. Consider S. BARDWELL, from Shelburn, Mass.,
in 1834, became one of the leading farmers of the town. Robert BLAKELY,
who came into the town about 1832, without capital, and by close application
to the woolen manufacturing industry acquired a competency.
Captain Jeremiah BUSHEE,
a tailor of the village more than forty years; was selectman ten years
and much respected. Horace CLARK settled in the mercantile business
in the village in 1829; was postmaster four years and a leading citizen.
Rufus P. CONANT, from Enfield, N. H., 1811, settled at West Pawlet and
was engaged in the cloth-dressing business; removed to Wisconsin.
Nathaniel Hill, who came from New York city, lived mostly in tire village
and died in 1830; his son, of the same name, spent his life in the village.
Ashbel HURLBUT came here in 1810 and was a respected citizen and devoted
to the cause of education; he died in 1828. Captain James JONES,
from Granville, settled at West Pawlet, where he passed his long life.
Joseph JONES, an early settler from Greenwich, Mass., died in 1816; his
son of the same name passed a useful life ill the town. George H.
PURPLE kept a store in tire village in connection with Reed EDGERTON, closing
in 1830; he removed to Ohio.
Following the war of
the Revolution and settlement of all local difficulties, the inhabitants
of this town, in common with those of other localities, turned their undivided
attention to the improvement of their homes and the development of business.
This continued without serious interruption until the events which led
to the War of 1812 created a feeling of uneasiness in this locality; and
when the war came, the inhabitants of Pawlet did not hesitate to take up
arms against their old enemy, Great Britain. In Mr. HOLLISTER's history
of the town he gives the names of thirty-five citizens of the town who
went into the army in that struggle, several of whom held important offices.
Agriculture was, of course,
the chief occupation of the early settlers; but the prosperity of the entire
State received a severe check by the remarkable cold summer of 1816, in
which there was frost every month in the year and crops were almost a total
failure. There was considerable suffering in this town; but it was greatly
mitigated by the generosity of the benevolent, who aided their poorer neighbors.
The early inhabitants
made wheat--- growing their principal agricultural pursuit for a number
of years; but this gave way to the coarser grains, which yielded more abundant
harvests; the working up of these led to the introduction of distilleries,
which, with the manufacture of potash, received considerable attention
in this town; they were the earliest manufactures. The growing of sheep
gave a large wool product and the introduction of carding-achines and cloth-ressing
machines followed; one of the latter was running inWest Pawlet by Walter
JENNINGS as early as 1812. Jonathan STEVENS and John STRONG built a woolen
factory at West Pawlet in 1812, the first in town, and fuling-mills were
in operation, probably before that time at the village. Other factories
and mills have been noted in our mention of the early settlers. There have
been in all seven grist-mills in town; the first on Wells Brook, built
by Remember BAKER about 1768; the next one at the village about the same
time, built by William BRADFORD; the next built by Colonel Samuel WILLARD
on the site of the "Red mill" in 1783; another on the Pawlet River by Captain
Benoni SMITH ; the next built by William HANKS about 1790 near the Frary
bridge; the next located near where Smith HITT lived, built by Seth BLOSSOM,
Ashbel HOLLISTER and Safford HASCALL ; and one at West Pawlet, built by
Edmund WHEDON. There have also been six or eight saw-mills in the town.
There were trip hammers
in early years on Wells Brook, by William MAHER; on Flower Brook, by Nathaniel
ROBINSON; and on Indian River by C. S. BARDWELL, the latter for the making
of edge tools.
There have been five
distilleries in town, operated respectively by Dorastus FITCH, at the village;
by Theron NORTON at West Pawlet; one by Leonard UTLEY; one near the center
of the town by John EDGERTON, and one by a Mr. SAVAGE; all abandoned many
Hats were manufactured
in the village by Major Sylvanus Gregory and his son, Silas, and a stocking
factory was operated by Ira MARKS. Palmer CLEVELAND & Sons introduced
extensive machinery for dressing hemp and flax and did a large business
for several years. A mill for making potato starch was built by Ira MARKS
on Indian River about 1843. Nearly all of these manufacturing operations
have, by the changes in demand and supply, in processes of manufacture
and through railroad communication with distant markets, been abandoned.
In November, 1814, was
incorporated the Pawlet Manufacturing Company, the corporators being John
GUILD, Ozias CLARK, John PENFIELD, jr., Jonathan ROBINSON, Nathaniel ROBINSON,
jr., William C. ROBINSON, Napthali GUILD, David RICHARDSON, D. WILMARTH
and Daniel FITCH. In 1815 the company erected a large building, seventy
by thirty-six feet and three stories high, for the manufacturing of cotton
cloth. 860 spindles and sixteen looms were employed. A store was connected
with the factory; but the enterprise failed within a few years and the
machinery was taken away, and the building demolished.
The Flower Brook Manufacturing
Company was incorporated in 1836 for the manufacture of woolen goods. A
large building was erected at the village and ample machinery introduced.
The factory was operated by agents five or six years, when John M. CLARK
bought out the stock-holders, ran the factory a year or two, when it finally
failed. This building was also taken down and the machinery sold.
In matters of education
of the young, this town has shown creditable interest. There have been
seventeen school districts in the town; but at the present time there are
only fifteen and schools kept in but eleven of these. A commodious brick
edifice was erected near the village for the establishment of a grammar
school and the higher branches were taught there until 1845, when the building
was burned. Among its preceptors were Messrs. BARBER, SMITH, MEEKER, Ira
M. ALLEN, Mervin ALLEN, John STUART and Lamson MINER. When the Methodist
Church on the hill was vacated by the society in 1854 it was fitted up
for an academy, with Rev. Jason F. WALKER as its first principal. The present
academy was erected about 1869, at a cost of $4,500, and is located at
West Pawlet. This institution has been of great value to the cause of education.
A. H. COOK is at present at the head of the institution. About seventy-four
pupils attend it, on the average.
The First Congregational
Church of Pawlet was organized. August 8, 1781, under the auspices of Rev.
David W. PERRY, with six members. Dr. Lewis BEEBE, then of Arlington, was
the first settled pastor, being ordained June 15, 1787. The First Church
was erected about 1785, and when this became too small for the needs of
the society, another and more commodious edifice was erected on the hill
north of the village; this stood until about 1842. At about this time the
present edifice was erected. The Rev I. W. PEACH is the present pastor
of the society.
The First Baptist Church
(located at West Pawlet) was organized on the first Monday in May, 1790,
by its first pastor, Elder BROWN. In the year 1800 a church was erected
by tile West Pawlet Meeting-house Company. Elder Isaac BEALL was settled
over the church in 1801 and in the following year a parsonage was built.
This society was dissolved in 1831.
The Methodist Episcopal
Church at Pawlet was organized in 1826, though a class was in existence
before the beginning of the present century. The society was organized
with about one hundred members, by Rev. Daniel BRAYTON. At about the same
time the brick church was erected near the cemetery. In 1853 the present
structure was built at a cost of $5,000, and the society is flourishing.
Rev. F. CAMERON is the present pastor.
The Second Baptist Church
in the town was organized in 1826. This society owed its origin to the
fact that tile First Baptist Church (from which its first members came)
had not for years been in fellowship with any other body. About the
year 1848 the organization dissolved and in 1852 the present society was
organized under the auspices of Elder A. WAIT. The church was built the
same year and was used until 1880, when it was burned, and the present
edifice erected in 1881. The society is at present ministered to by Rev.
A. G. CHICK, of Hebron, N. Y., who preaches on Sabbath afternoons.
Church. --This society was organized in 1832, on Pawlet Mountain. It continued
in existence about twenty-three years, when it was dissolved on account
of the removal of many of its prominent members.
In 1831, a society called
the Church of the Disciples was formed under the guidance of Elder Worden
P. REYNOLDS. In 1847, they built a church at West Pawlet where meetings
have been held since, but not with regularity.
The Welsh residents of
this town have a Presbyterian society and erected a church in 1882. A preacher
from Granville ministers to the congregation. Another society composed
of this nationality is Congregational in creed and have services in the
Of the early physicians
in this town we may mention Eliel TODD and Abishai MOSELEY, who were probably
the first. Dr. Jonathan SAFFORD succeeded them, coming from Bennington
in 1793; he continued in successful practice until his death in 1821. He
had a large family. Drs. Lemuel, and Cyrus CHIPMAN were the first
physicians in the south part of the town and were eminent in their profession;
both removed from the town. Dr. John SARGENT, from Mansfield, Conn., came
into this town in 1798, as the successor of Lemuel CHIPMAN and became distinguished
in practice; he was the first president of the first Rutland County Medical
Society; was captain of the Light Artillery of 1802 and promoted to the
rank of colonel; was in the Legislature in 1803; died in 1843. Dr.
John SARGENT, jr., practiced several years here and in adjoining towns.
Dr. Samuel POTTER practiced here and in Wells several years at an early
date and was very skillful. Dr. Warren A. COWDRY practiced here in
1815; removed to Leroy, N. Y., and espoused Mormonism. Dr. John L.
CHANDLER was here for a time, and Dr. James H. WILLARD practiced here a
few years ago and removed to Ohio in 1830. Isaac MONROE, Aaron GOODSPEED,
Charles HOUGHTON, Phineas STRONG, jr., all practiced here for longer or
shorter periods. Dr. Rensselaer G. MONROE came from Granville in 1853 and
practiced until 1866 at West Pawlet; he removed to Rutland. Dr. A. Sidney
HOUGHTON came from Ellisburg, N. Y., in 1844 and settled at the village
where he practiced many years; he was in the Legislature in 1861-62.
The present physicians
are Drs. Warren B. SARGENT and H. L. MANCHESTER. The former is a son of
Dr. John SARGENT and was born in June, 1803, in this town. He studied with
the Vermont Academy of Medicine as it was then styled, and with private
practitioners; received his diploma November 14, 1825; began practice in
Michigan in 1827 and came to Pawlet in 1830. He has been very successful
in his profession and enjoys the unqualified confidence of the community.
Dr. H. L. MANCHESTER
was born in Hampton, Washington county, N. Y., December 28, 1855; was educated
at Castleton Seminary and studied medicine with Dr. WAKEFIELD, of Fairhaven,
and in the University of New York, graduating in 1879. He began practice
in Pawlet in June, 1879.
Dr. J. B. GILMAN, of
West Pawlet, was born in February, 1852, in Salem, Washington county, N.
Y.; studied three years with Dr. Leroy Mclean, of Troy; was two years in
the Albany Medical College and graduated at the University of Vermont;
was given his diploma in June, 1884; came to Pawlet in June, 1885.
The legal profession
in this town in early years was represented by such then as Jonathan BRACE,
Israel SMITH, Noah SMITH and Truman SQUIER. Jonathan BRACE was a conspicuous
citizen and an able lawyer; but returned to Connecticut in a few years.
Israel SMITH removed to Rutland and Noah SMITH to Bennington. Truman SQUIER
removed to Manchester after some twenty years practice here. Daniel CHURCH
practiced law here for a time, as did also Nathaniel HUNT and Nathaniel
HAMBLIN, both of whom removed to Ohio. Nathaniel HARMON was one of
the leading lawyers of the county and practiced in this town more than
forty years. He might have held high office, but his tastes did not lead
him into the political field. He died in 1845. Dr. Oliver L. HARMON was
his son, and George W., another son, became an attorney and removed to
Fayette POTTER, born
September 1, 1823, was educated at Union College. He studied law with George
W. HARMON and was admitted to practice in 1847; since that date he has
been in successful business in Pawlet.
J. B. BROMLEY was in
practice in Pawlet a number of years and with him D. W. BROMLEY, born July
20, 1837, studied the profession. He was admitted in March, 1859. His failing
health has forced him to relinquish active practice.
Present Town Officers.
-- Town clerk, O. BUSHEE; treasurer, F. S. WEED; selectmen, M. C. JONES,
M. BROWN and D. W. BROMLEY; constable and collector, E. I. VAIL; second
constable, Wayland JOHNSON; listers, L. JOHNSON, Olin PARRIS, J. M. SHAW;
auditors, A. S. WHITCOMB, D. W. BROMLEY, S. S. BROWN; trustee, Fayette
POTTER; fence viewers, James GOODSPEED, Frank, VAIL, Arthur TAYLOR; town
grand jurors, George KNIGHT, George W. BEECHER; inspector of leather, W.
B. MILLER; pound-keeper, George W. KNIGHT; surveyor of wood and shingles,
Orla LOOMIS; town agent, Leonard JOHNSON; superintendent of schools, Helen
The following figures
show the population of this town at the different dates given: 1791, 1,458;
1800, 1,938; 1810, 2,233; 1820, 2,155; 1830, 1,965; 1840, 1,748; 1850,
1,843; 1860, 1,559; 1870, 1,505; 1880, 1,698.
This town was represented
in nearly every organization that went out of the State to aid in suppressing
the Southern Rebellion, and in many New York State regiments. These volunteers
nobly sustained the patriot teachings of the forefathers, and did their
share in sustaining the principles of the government in its time of trial.
The following record shows the names of the volunteers of this town in
Vermont regiments, as nearly correct as it can now be made: --
Volunteers for three
years credited previous to the call for 300,000 volunteers of October 17,
1863. -- John ADAMS, co. E, 7th regt.; Michael AGAN, co. G, 7th regt.;
Thomas AGAN, capt. 20th Mass.; Isaac H. ALEXANDER, co. G, 5th regt.; Merritt
C. BARRETT, Royal C. BOSTWICK, co. H, cav.; Harvey C. BEEBE, .co. D, 7th
regt.; Hiram BLOSSOM, co. C, 2d regt.; Noble C. BOSTWICK, co, E, 5th regt.;
Charles W. BOURNE, Leroy S. BUSHIE, co. C, 11th regt.; David BUFFARN, co.
B, 9th regt.; Willard COMSTOCK, co. D, 7th regt.; Simon E. COOK, co. C,
11th regt.; Miles H. DELONG, Frederick FOLGER, co. E, 5th regt.; John M.
FRISBIE, co. B, 9th regt.; Robert GALLOP, co. D, 7th regt.; James R. GIBBS,
,co. E, 2d s. s.; Sheldon A. HALL, co. I, 5th regt.; Francis D, HAMMOND,
co. I, 5th regt.; George G. HANKS, co. 1, 7th regt.; Justin W. HARWOOD,
co. C, 2d regt.; James HOY, co. C, 10th regt.; Charles B. HYDE, co. 11,
2d s. s.; George JOHNSON, co. M, 11th regt.; James LACKEY, co. E, 5th regt.;
Charles M. KINGSLEY, Patrick MCGRATH, Thomas C. MOSIER, co. D, 7th regt.;
John MCGRATH, co. H, 2d s. s.; Sylvanus MCWAIN, co. D, 7th regt.; Atherton
MONROE, co. H, 2d s. s.; Asa L. MONROE, co. L, 11th regt.; Francis MURRAY,
Calvin S. NICHOLS, co. I:, 5th regt.; Edward NYE, co. B, 9th regt.; Chauncey
H. ROBINSON, co. D, 7th regt.; Charles SCOTT, John SCOTT, Amyel B. SEARLES,
Oliver SEARLES, co. E, 5th regt.; Francis R. SHAW, co. C, 11 th regt.;
George W. TAYLOR, co. B, 2d regt.; Chipman J. TOBEY, co. H, 2d s. s.; Chester
M. VAIL, co. D, 7th regt.; Daniel D. WARREN, Ira C. WARREN, co. H, cav.;
George M. WARREN, co. H, 2d s. s.; Edwin L. WATERS, co. C, 11th regt.;
Benjamin R. WHEELER, co. B, 2d regt.; John WHEELER, co. C, 5th regt.; James
W. WHITE, co. H, cav.; Reuben H. WILLIAMS, Henry C. WOOD, Martin P. WOOD,
co. 13, 2d regt.; Willard WOOD, co. C, 10th regt.; Austin E. WOODMAN, co.
I, 7th regt.; Stephen WOODS, co. K, 2d regt.; Augustus L. WRIGHT, co. E,
Credits under call of
October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers, and subsequent calls. -- Volunteers
for three years: John CRAWFORD, co. C, 3d regt.; James L. HALL, co. H,
7th regt.; Daniel H. HALL, jr., co. G, 11 th regt.; Otis W. HARWOOD, 1st
bat.; Edmund HIX, 2d bat.; Chester O. HULETT, 1st. bat.; John O. HUMPHREY,
co. H, 9th regt.; Alson L. KITCHELL, co. I, 7th regt.; William F. LOOMIS,
John MCGRATH, 1st. bat.; Wyman C. MCOMBER, co. L, t 11th regt.; Joel A.
MASON, co. I, 17th regt.; William MCKELVEY, John PENTONY, co. I, 7th regt.;
Herbert PERHAM, 1st. bat.; Keyes POTTER, co. K, 7th regt.; Colba REED,
co. H, 7th regt.; Elbridge I. REED, 11th regt.; Benjamin B. ROYALS, co.
I, 7th regt.; James SHERIDAN, 1st bat.; James H. SMITH, co. C, 11th regt.;
John SMITH, co. G, 11th regt.; William TOWN, co. K, 7th regt.; Henry TOWSLEE,
1st bat.; George WILLIAMS, 3d regt.
Volunteers for one year.
-- John CONLIN, co. 13, 7th regt.; Baptiste LASSOR, co. G, 2d regt.; Vetal
LASSOR, co. A, 2d regt.; Mark S. MOORE, cav.; Charles RUSSELL, 11th regt.;
Henry H. THOMPSON, co. D, 7th regt.
-- Michael AGAN, co. D, 7th regt.; William H. BELDING, co. G, cav.; Hiram
BLOSSOM, Co. C, 2d regt.; Noble C. BOSTWICK, co. E, 5th regt.; Justus W.
HARWOOD, co. C, 2d regt.; Charles M. KINGSLEY, Patrick MCGRATH, Sylvanus
MCWAIN, Chauncey H. ROBINSON, Chester M. VAIL, co. D, 7th regt.; John R.
WILKINS, co. E, 5th regt. Not credited by name --Three men.
Volunteers for nine months.
-- Charles BARRETT, co. K, 12th regt.; John H. BLACK, Robert F. BLACK,
Adoniram J. BLAKELEY, Andrew J. BLOWERS, Orlando BUSHEE, James W. GUILD,
Alonzo V. GUILDER, Walace S. GUILDER, Albert E. HOLLISTER, Francis S. HOLLISTER,
Willis C. HOLLISTER, co. B, 14th regt.; Sewell F. HOWARD, co. K, 14th regt.;
Warner E. HUELETT, Eugene LITTLE, Samuel W. NELSON, Levi PATTERSON, Herbert
PERHAM, George O. SIMONDS, Judson SMITH, Martin SMITH, Charles P. TAYLOR,
Charles W. TOWSLEY, William C. WEEKS, Ahira E. WOOD, William H. WOOD, co.
B, 14th regt.
Furnished under draft.
-- Paid commutation, Seth E. CULVER, Ogden FISHER, Levi HANKS, F. M. HOLLISTER,
Levi PARIS, Michael QUINLAN, Warren RICE, Joel. S. WILCOX. Procured
substitute: J. McD. ANDRUS, Reuben DILLINGHAM, Jesse C. GRAY, Jacob MCFADDEN,
Charles H. RUSSELL.
The largest village in
this town is Pawlet (or "Algiers," as it is frequently called), which is
situated on Pawlet River near the junction of Flower Brook, a little south
of the center of the town. We have already spoken of the early settlers
at this point and many of the business then of past years. The place was
once of considerable commercial and manufacturing importance and, it is
said, did more business in 1830 than was done at Rutland; a state of affairs
that has been greatly changed by the influence of railroads on the latter
village. Among the early merchants were William FITCH, Joel HARMON, Ephraim
FITCH, Dorastus and Silas FITCH, Phineas and Return STRONG, HART &
JUDSON, Reed EDGERTON, George H. PURPLE, Horace CLARK, Russel C. WHEELER,
Harvey BAKER, William WALLACE, T. J. SWALLOW, George EDGERTON, Martin D.
STRONG, David WHEDON, jr., Hiram WICKHAM, William SHELDON, John ALLEN,
and perhaps a few others.
The oldest merchants
at present doing business in the village are D. H. & A. L. BROMLEY.
The former began trade here in 1853, in the building now used by Mr. HUELETT
as a tin shop. The junior member came in the firm in 1862. W. RICE
has kept a general store since 1870, and has occupied his present location
four years. M. V. B. LEACH has been in trade as a general merchant since
March, 1879; and S. S. SNELL since March, 1885, when he bought out William
MASON, who had traded about a year. Charles E. TAYLOR started in general
trade about two years ago. D. B. WHITCOMB carries on the grocery business
and has for eleven years past; has occupied his present location four years.
O. BUSHEE is one of the older merchants and has carried a stock of drugs
and groceries since about 1865. Q. A. PRATT began the grocery and hardware
trade, which lie continued about a year, and changed to drugs in June,
1883. H. E. DAMON has kept a jewelry store since October, 1884, succeeding
D. A. PARKER, who has been in business about six years. Fayette HULETT
and his brother Chester began in the tin and hardware business in 1866;
Fayette bought his brother's interest in the fall of 1885. William B. Miller
does the harness making for the place.
We have mentioned the
old hotel built by Ephraim FITCH early in the century. This was the forerunner
of the present Franklin House, and was next kept by Lemuel BARDEN for many
years; he transferred it to Deacon GRISWOLD. Others who have kept the house
were Ephraim F. CLARK, Robert CLARK, Harrison VAIL, Chapin ANDRUS, D. B.
HULETT, who was succeeded by the present landlord, D. W. BROMLEY, in 1867.
The Crescent Valley House was completed in the spring of 1884, by Amos
G. LEACH and John R. CARP0; it is chiefly for the accommodation of summer
There is not much manufacturing
now existing in this town. F. HAMMOND runs the grist-mill at this
village, on the site where Ephraim FITCH built the first mill in the town,
as before related; and the saw-mill, which was an old one when Silas GREGORY
ran it forty years ago, is now operated by S. P, ANDRUS. J. ROBINSON established
a carriage factory here in 1850, which he still carries on. The fork handle
and baby carriage stock factory, now conducted by M. P. DAMON & Co.
(Lee SIMONDS), was established by Mr. DAMON in 1873; it is on the site
of the old Lumbard woolen-mill, and turns out in the neighborhood of 60,000
fork handles and stock for 30,000 baby carriages annually.
The woolen-factory of
E. COLVIN (formerly operated by the Pawlet Woolen Company) is located two
miles south of the village. The first company was organized in 1846 by
Asa JONES, and reorganized in 1877. About 25,000 pounds of wool are
made into cloth annually. Other minor manufactures of the town, which may
as well receive attention here, are the grist-mill of F. S. WEED, which
is operated by Charles CLARK. It was built in 1879 by John ADAMS, who transferred
it to LEACH & CRAPO, and then to Dwight PARKER, who sold to Mr. WEED.
W. B. WOODARD built a saw-mill in the west part of the town in 1881, and
still runs it. BLAKELY's cheese factory was built by Frank BLAKELY
about ten years ago and he has operated it since; it uses the milk of about
400 cows. The Pawlet cheese factory, at Pawlet, is now carried on by Carlton
MARKS; it was established in 1865 by R. C. WICKHAM and has. been successfully
conducted. The Leach cheese factory, now run by William LEACH, is in the
south part of the town and is smaller than the others mentioned.
The slate interest of
this town is of considerable importance. The DILLINGHAM quarry, at West
Pawlet, was opened by Howell DILLINGHAM in 1877-78;. employs about ten
men and produces sea-green roofing slate of good quality. The BROWNELL
Slate and Flagging Company's quarry is in the west part of the town and
employs about forty men, turning out 800 squares of roofing and 3,000 feet
of flagging per month. RISING & NELSON's quarries at West Pawlet, four
in number, employ about eighty-five men. They began the business about
1876, their product being sea-green roofing slate. The firm has also a
quarry of red slate in Granville. Hugh W. HUGHES owns and operates five
quarries in the town, which he leased in 1878, succeeding Evan J. JONES
&. BARNARD, who had been engaged in the business about three years.
George BARNARD had bought property of Howard EVANS, who, after Griffith
LLOYD, was the pioneer in the business. Mr. HUGHES employs from fifty to
sixty men, produces the green slate, but deals in all shades. All of the
slate industry is located at West Pawlet. (See Chapter XIII.)
The post-office at Pawlet
was established early in the history of the town. Dorastus FITCH was postmaster
in 1814, and George PURPLE probably succeeded him. Horace CLARK then had
the office, and as late as 1828. Then followed Daniel TAYLOR, Porter FITCH,
Martin D. STRONG, Charles POTTER, James RICE and Orlando PUSHEE, who kept
the office from about 1876 to 1885. The present official is C. E. TAYLOR.
West Pawlet. -- This
is a hamlet and station on the Rutland and Washington railroad and situated
in the extreme west part of the town, across a portion of which the road
passes. The post-office here was first kept by Orson F. BETTS about 1854
for a short time, and he was followed by M. V. B. PRATT for about six years;
then J. A. ORR took the office for about three years; F. JOHNSON six or
seven years; then G. W. BEECHER until the advent of the present official,
M. V. B. PRATT, who began his second term October 1, 1885.
RISING & NELSON,
mentioned in connection with the slate industry, have kept a store here
since March, 1874; they built the store they occupy. James F. BRAYMER was
a junior partner the first three years. Florace JOHNSON began general trade
here nearly ten years ago. A. P. BULL began grocery trade in April, 1882,
and built the block a part of which he occupies. M. V. B. PRATT, the oldest
merchant here, began trade about 1854 and is still in business. George
R. Pratt deals in jewelry and fancy goods; has been in business two and
a half years and occupied his present store in October, 1885. G. W. BEECHER
and brother (D. O. BEECHER) began the tin manufacturing business in September,
1874, the first named being alone until 1883, when his brother joined him.
David WOODARD kept the
hotel in the large building until about 1878 for a number of years - about
twenty-five. This house is not now kept. The Nelson House is kept by F.
J. NELSON, who opened it in April, 1885; he had kept hotel in the large
building mentioned about a year previous.
of Rutland County Vermont: With Illustrations &
Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men And Pioneers
by H. Y. Smith & W. S. Rann
N. Y., D. Mason & Co., Publishers 1886
OF THE TOWN OF PAWLET
History of the Town of Pawlet, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82
Business Directory of the Town of Pawlet, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82