town of Poultney is situated on the western border of Rutland county, and
is bounded on the north by Castleton ; on the east by Ira and Middletown;
on the south by Wells and on the west by Hampton, N. 'Y., and a portion
of Fairhaven. It was chartered by Benning WENTWORTH September 21, 1761,
and contained an area of 23,040 acres. On the 28th of October, 1784, 2,388
acres were taken from Poultney towards the formation of Middletown, and
on the 31st of October, 1798, 5,543 acres were added to Poultney from the
north part of Wells.
The surface presents
a pleasing variety of hill and valley, the highest elevation being Spruce
Knob in the east, and Mount St. Catharine in the south. Poultney River,
the largest stream, rises in Tinmouth, enters Poultney from Middletown,
flows westerly through the town, and, forming the boundary between Fairhaven
and Hampton, and Westhaven and Whitehall, enters Lake Champlain. Lake St.
Catharine, or Lake Austin, is a beautiful body of water extending from
the center of Wells to near the center of Poultney. The soil along Poultney
River is generally warm and productive. The timber is principally deciduous,
though the site of East Poultney was originally covered with a dense growth
of pine and hemlock. The origin of the name Poultney is not certainly traced,
though it has been suggested that it was derived from an English lord of
that name, who was a friend of Benning Wentworth. The town was organized
on the 8th of March, 1775, by the election of the following officers: Zebulon
RICHARDS, moderator; Heber ALLEN, town clerk; Nehemiah HOWE, Zebulon RICHARDS
and Cotton FLETCHER, selectmen; Isaac ASHLEY, constable; John ASHLEY, tithingman;
Josiah LEWIS, Thomas ASHLEY and Ebenezer HYDE, surveyors of highways, and
the selectmen, with Thomas ASHLEY and Ebenezer HYDE, committee for laying
The early settlement
of Poultney did not differ widely in manner from that of all the Vermont
towns, excepting that the wealth and promise of its thickly wooded hills
and valleys were a tempting bait which the cupidity of the New York land
jobbers could not resist.
Owing to this land controversy
the early settlers came in more slowly here than elsewhere and were "men
of bold, fearless spirit, athletic and firm constitutions," and were, without
exception, poor. Ebenezer ALLEN and Thomas ASHLEY, the first who settled
in town, reached here on the 15th of April, 1771, and erected their shanties
about twenty rods south of where the turnpike bridge now is in the west
village, "Allen a little west and Ashley a little east.” ALLEN brought
his family with him, and had a son born the same year, the first white
child born in Poultney. ASHLEY did not return for his family until he had
finished his shanty and planted corn sufficient for the support of his
family of seven. He remained on the same farm until the time of his death
in 1810. ALLEN removed in a few years to Grand Isle.
These two families were
followed the same season by Elijah and John OWEN, Isaac ASHLEY and Nehemiah
HOWE, and soon after by the following persons, nearly in the order named:
Ichabod and Joseph MARSHALL, Silas HOWE, Heber ALLEN (brother to Ethan
Allen), John GRANT, Thomas GOODWIN, Robert GREEN, Zebediah DEWEY, Cotton
FLETCHER, John, Elkana, Elisha, Enoch and William ASHLEY (brothers of Thomas
and Isaac), John TILDEN, Zebediah, Dan and John RICHARDS, William WARD,
Timothy, Ebenezer, James and Lemuel HYDE, Samuel CHURCH, Joel GRANNIS,
Isaac CRAW, Nathaniel and James SMITH, Mordecai and Gilbert SLOPER, James
and Nathaniel BROOKINS, Josiah LEWIS and a few others before the arrival
of Burgoyne's army and his Indian allies in July, 1777, when all the inhabitants
were forced to flee. As has been truly said, these men were all "the Ethan
Allen stamp of men." Some of them were related by blood and marriage to
the redoubtable leader of the Green Mountain Boys, and all of them were
certainly his personal acquaintances. Several of them were present at the
capture of Ticonderoga.
When Burgoyne came up
Lake Champlain the domestic occupations of the inhabitants throughout this
part of the State were for a time rudely interrupted. The men were called
upon to fight and the women to attend to those charitable duties which
are given to them alone, in such crises, to perform. The battle of Hubbardton
was fought on the 7th of July, 1777, and on the following day the women
and children of Poultney, being apprized of the repulse of the patriots,
hastily collected their portable effects and retreated to Bennington, thence
to Pownal, and after the battle of Bennington, to their former homes in
Massachusetts and Connecticut. The following are the names of the thirteen
heroic women who took part in this retreat: The wives of William WARD,
Thomas ASHLEY, Ichabod MARSHALL, Joseph MARSHALL, Dan RICHARDS (afterward
Mrs. Lindsey JOSLIN), John RICHARDS, Timothy HYDE (afterwards Mrs. Abner
ADAMS), Zebediah DEWEY, Silas HOWE, Nathaniel SMITH, the widow of Isaac
ASHLEY (afterwards Mrs. Joseph RANN, grandmother of Charles A. RANN, now
residing in Poultney), Nehemiah HOWE and Josiah LEWIS. Most or all these
women returned with their children within the following year, and were
not, so far as can be learned, again molested by foreign foes.
Among others who came
here in the year 1771, Ebenezer ALLEN, who has already been mentioned,
was one of the most prominent. He was an officer in the Revolutionary War,
and a member of one, at least, of the early conventions. He was a man of
advanced humanity and sympathies, and showed his fidelity to his convictions
by liberating two slaves on the ground that he was "conscientious that
it is not right in the sight of God to keep slaves."
Thomas ASHLEY, already
mentioned, was followed the same year of his arrival, by his six brothers,
Isaac, John, Elkana, Elisha, Enoch and William, all of whom were prominent
in the early councils of the town. Isaac ASHLEY died in April, 1777. His
son, Elisha ASHLEY, was for many years after his attaining maturity a prominent
man in Poultney.
Josiah LEWIS, of Connecticut,
came here in 1771, and settled on the east part of what is now the farm
of his great-grandson, Mark LEWIS. He was a soldier of the Revolution and
participated in the battle of Hubbardton, and the capture of Ticonderoga.
His wife, nee Molly COLE, rendered valuable service for the Americans in
carrying general news, and received therefor one hundred
sixty acres of land, situated near the present farm of Franklin THOMPSON.
He died before the year 1800. The farm has always remained in the family.
"Heber ALLEN was one of the seven ALLEN brothers, of whom the most distinguished
was Colonel Ethan ALLEN." He must have been here as early as 1772.
He built his dwelling-house near the site now occupied by the "Pine Tree
House," between the two villages. Some traces of his cellar are still faintly
perceptible there. He was a major in the Revolution, was the first town
clerk of Poultney, and, until his death in April, 1782, and was a judge
of the County Court (1778) when Rutland was only a shire of Cumberland
Nehemiah Howe came to
Poultney from New Marlborough, Mass., in 1772, and died in April, 1777.
He owned the land about where the Congregational Church and cemetery now
are in the east village. His paternal ancestor four generations back was
the first white settler in Marlborough, Mass. He was said to be descended
from a relative of Lord HOWE, of Warwickshire, England. Descendants of
Nehemiah HOWE are still numerous in the town and vicinity.
Zebediah DEWEY came to
Poultney from Tyringham, Mass., in about 1772, and located on the site
now covered by BEAMAN's Hotel, but afterwards removed to the head of Hampshire
Hollow, on a tract of land now comprising, the farms of Timothy HALEY and
Dwight SMITH. He was a great sportsman and hunter. He is said to have been
the first captain of militia in Poultney, and obtained his title of major
from the efficient service which he rendered in the battle of Hubbardton.
His youngest son, Dr. David DEWEY, was afterwards a man of prominence in
Poultney, and the inventor, it is claimed, of the first sheep-shearing
machine ever patented in the country.
About this period Timothy
HYDE and his brothers, James, Lemuel and Ebenezer, came from Connecticut
and settled in the vicinity of the Pomeroy WELLS estate. N. C. HYDE, a
descendant of Ebenezer, now owns a part of the old homestead. Ebenezer
HYDE was the progenitor of the HYDEs now in town. Samuel HYDE, a son of
Ebenezer, kept a public house for many years on the farm now forming a
part of the Pomeroy WELLS estate.
Ichabod MARSHALL arrived
in town in December, 1772, from Massachusetts was born in New Marlboro,
Mass., in 1741, was married in 1760, and brought six children with him
to Poultney, coming through the unbroken forest for over sixty miles, with
only one horse to carry Mrs. MARSHALL, "a feather bed, two infant children,
and all the furniture the family had for keeping house." The rest of the
family walked and drove one cow before them. They settled on the tract
of land now occupied by Mrs. Martha MARSHALL, which has ever remained in
the possession of the family. Ichabod MARSHALL was killed by the wheel
of his own wagon while returning from a trip to Troy. Joseph MARSHALL,
his brother, came to Poultney in 1772, and located about a mile north of
the HOPSON Place, on a road now discontinued, that led from the main road
between the two villages.
Zebulon RICHARDS came
to Poultney in 1773, and located on the farm now occupied by Michael LYNCH.
One of his two sons, John, settled on the place now occupied by Mrs. STEVENS,
and the other, Daniel, on the JOSLIN farm, so called. Salmon RICHARDS,
grandson of John RICHARDS, lives in Poultney now, at the ripe old age of
eighty-six years. The widow of Daniel RICHARDS afterwards became the wife
of Lindsey JOSLIN, and suffered terrible privations when driven from Poultney
with her twelve associates in 1777.
James and Nathaniel SMITH,
brothers, must have arrived in Poultney about the year 1773 or 1774, and
lived in the north part of the town.
Thomas HOOKER, a worthy
descendant of the Thomas Hooker who was one of the original proprietors
of the town of Cambridge, Mass., came to Poultney about the year 1775,
and settled on the HOOKER farm in the north part of the town. He soon removed
to Finel Hollow, and after a residence there of sixteen years, returned
to the place of his original settlement. His father, James HOOKER, came
here about 1779, and settled in Finel Hollow. Besides Thomas five other
children of James, viz.: James, Samuel, Sarah, David and Josiah, resided
in town a short time. Their descendants, scattered over a wide area, have
achieved prominence in many places and callings.
William WARD came from
New Marlboro, Mass., to Poultney in November, 1775, and located in Finel
Hollow oil the farm still occupied by Mrs. C. P. WARD, it having never
left the family. He was a member of the convention that framed the State
Constitution, was for six years one of the judges of the Rutland County
Court, was the first judge of probate for the district of Fairhaven, and
retained the office twenty-two years; was forty years justice of the peace,
and was the first town representative for a number of years.
The Revolutionary struggle,
being at this tine full upon the country, prevented active settlement,
especially on a frontier so exposed as Western Vermont. No settlement,
therefore, dating in 1776, has been discovered. Soon after Burgoyne's surrender,
however, in 1777, Phineas PIERCE established himself in a gambrel-roofed
house of his own building, a few rods east of the site of the brick house
now occupied by James HOPPER, on the bank of Finel Hollow Brook. He worked
in the forge built by the Joslins.
In 1778 Joseph RANN,
who was born in Salisbury, N. H., in 1752, arrived in Poultney, and settled
on the farm now owned and occupied by R. R. THRALL. He was followed at
different periods by others from his native State, who gave the name of
Hampshire Hollow to the vicinity of their settlement. He served in the
Revolutionary War, was wounded in the battle of Bunker Hill by a ball which
he carried in his ankle to his grave; was afterwards taken prisoner, and
confined in a prison ship near New York for several months. He effected
his escape by jumping overboard and swimming some distance ashore. He attended
the Congregational Church here and was chorister while Rev. Ithamer HIBBARD
was pastor. He married Olive, daughter of Nehemiah HOWE, and widow of Isaac
ASHLEY, by whom he had six children, Anta, Silbey, Salvator, Alpha, Arithusa,
and Lavina. Of the daughters Ansa married John PAGE; Silbey married Leonard
DOUGHTY; Arithusa married John RANSFORD, and Laviinia married Erastus BIGELOW,
all of whom resided in Essex county, N. Y., and left a numerous posterity.
Alpha, or Alfred, went to Western New York, married a Minerva TRASK, and
had two sons, one of whom now publishes a paper in Manchester, Ia., and
the other died in Whitewater, Wis., in 1870, where he was publishing the
Whitewater Register. Salvator remained in Poultney, married Chloe, daughter
of Elisha SCOTT, and had four sons and four daughters. Charles A. Rann,
of Poultney, Mrs. Joseph Fuller, of Clarendon, and Horace RANN, of Spencerport,
N. Y., are the only children left. Charles A. RANN was a commissioned officer
in the Rebellion, was representative of Poultney in 1863 and 1864, and
senator in 1878. He was born May 23, 1823, was married to Sarah BROWN,
January 2, 1849. His only living child, H. C. RANN, was born January 15,
Joel FRISBIE, the first
of the name in Poultney, came, it is thought, with Rev. Ithamer HIBBARD,
in 1780. He went to Middletown in 1786.
Three brothers, Reuben,
Aaron and Isaac Hosford, came to Poultney about! 1780, the first named
settling on the farm now owned by Hiel ANGEVINE, and the other on the tract
now comprising the farm of Peter LAUNDRY. Descendants of Reuben are still
living here and elsewhere. Joseph MORSE also came in 1780 from Litchfield,
Conn., and located in the east part of the town, in the place since called
Morse Hollow. Joseph F. MORSE, of East Poultney, is his grandson. A brother
of Joseph, sr., named Solomon, came in 1780 and went to Pennsylvania about
the year 1800.
William PRESTON, already
an old man, came to Poultney from Litchfield, Conn., as early as 1781,
and died here in April, 1815, at the age of one hundred years lacking twenty
days. John PRESTON, a son of William, came here about the same time.
John RANSOM came from
Canaan, Conn., the same year (1781) and located on the farm now owned by
E. D. ANDRUS; married Sarah Roberts WHITNEY, and died in August, 1811,
leaving three children, Lemuel, John and David. Caroline, a daughter of
David, still resides in Poultney.
Stephen de MARANVILLE,
youngest son of Louis de MARANVILLE, of noble lineage, came to Poultney
from Dartmouth, Mass.; via Pawlet, in 1782 and settled on the farm now
occupied by Frank GATES, then called "Maranville Hill." He was a "minute
man" in the Revolution. He died September 26, 1828.
Dan POND, the "patriarch,"
was born in 1726 at Branford, Conn., came from Stockbridge, Mass., to Poultney
in 1782, settling, with a portion of his family, on "Pond Hill." He had
fifteen children, thirteen sons and two daughters, all but one of whom
lived to have families. Most of the sons were Revolutionary soldiers, and
came to Poultney with their father. Abel POND, a few years after he came,
settled on "Poultney Flats." He took an active part in the Revolutionary
struggle. Of sixty members of this once prominent and numerous family,
not one is left in Poultney bearing the name.
The year 1783, being
the closing year of the Revolution, witnessed the immigration of a number
of families, many of whom have descendants in town now. Some of the following
may not have reached here until 1784:
Elijah AMES settled in
what has since been entitled "Ames Hollow," near Bird Mountain. His brother
Zebulon came about the same time and resided near him, but in Ira. Jeremiah
ARMSTRONG, of Connecticut, settled near Elijah AMES about this time, and
became one of the most influential men of the town. He died about 1842.
William BUCKLAND, a Revolutionary
soldier from Hartford, Conn., came in 1783 and purchased his farm of Elkanah
ASHLEY, it being the same land now occupied by his grandson, Augustus BUCKLAND.
They were an ancient family in Connecticut. The grandfather of Augustus
BUCKLAND's mother, John BARRETT, was a tried soldier in the French and
Indian War. Some years before 1796 he came from his home in Connecticut,
and passed the remainder of his days, until his ninety-fourth year, with
his daughter. He died June 9, 1796.
Solomon CLEVELAND settled
on the Cleveland farm, now owned and occupied by William QUINN. He afterwards
removed to Hydeville. It is not known that any of his descendants are living.
About this period came
from Massachusetts Seymour and Timothy Crittenden, and settled, the former
on the farm now occupied by Frank FRENCH, and the latter on the present
Troy Conference Academy grounds, his house standing near the sidewalk in
front of the academy. Seymour was a prominent member of the Congregational
Church, and a Democrat. Among his descendants may be named his grandson,
Henry H. CRITTENDEN, a resident of Poultney. Timothy CRITTENDEN sold his
farm to Dr. James WITHERELL in 1810 and went west. He represented the town
Joshua DYE, a native
of Kent, Conn., moved to Poultney soon after the close of the Revolutionary
War, and located in Ames Hollow, on the farm now occupied by Patrick Kennedy.
He was drowned in Poultney River in 1826. Some of his descendants now live
Edward Finel, a sergeant-major
of the Revolution, settled soon after its close in the "Hollow" that now
bears his name, and on the farm now occupied by Nathaniel CARLTON. He had
five sons and five daughters. Although he has descendants residing in town,
there are none that bear the family name.
James and Ebenezer FRISBIE,
two of four brothers, were in town as early as 1783, the former settling
in the east part of the town on the road to Middletown, and the latter
on the tract of land occupied ten years ago by Abner LEWIS.
James, Seth and Jared
GORHAM came from Kent, Conn., about 1783, and settled (in the order of
their naming) at Gorhamtown, Pond Hill and south of Ames Hollow. They were
three of seven brothers, four of whom, John, James, Seth and Wakeman, with
their father, served in the Revolutionary War. Descendants of James are
in Poultney yet.
Thaddeus HICKOK, of Washington,
Litchfield county, Conn., came to Poultney soon after the close of the
Revolutionary War, and settled on the tract of land now owned and occupied
by L. C. SPAULDING. He was a soldier of the Revolutionary War. Simeon HICKOK,
his brother, came at the same time and located on the place where Rodney
ROWELL now lives. His son, Colonel Russel HICKOK, was formerly engaged
in the foundry business here.
Lindsey JOSSELYN, or,
according to modern spelling, JOSLIN, born August 12, 1749, in eastern
Massachusetts, moved early to Sheffield, Mass., and soon after the close
of the War of the Revolution, in company with his brother Samuel, came
to Poultney; they erected a forge half a mile east of Poultney, on the
"Todd place." Jabez and Joseph, brothers also, the former a tailor and
the latter a blacksmith, came soon after. Lindsey Joslin assisted in the
capture of Burgoyne. He died August 12, 1826. John Jay JOSLIN, a descendant,
was formerly a merchant here and erected the stone block now occupied by
John DEANE and others. Descendants of Lindsey JOSLIN still live in town.
Captain Daniel MANNING,
a cooper, and a soldier who fought in the battles of Bunker Hill, on Long
Island, Trenton, Princeton, Monmouth and Yorktown, came here in 1783 and
settled on a farm about a mile northeast of Poultney, which he bought of
James SMITH. He afterwards lived on the farm now occupied by Noah FENTON,
which he bought of Deacon Silas HOWE.
Joel SMITH settled at
this time in the east part of the town. He died at the time of the epidemic
in 1813. Descendants still reside in East Poultney.
Enos WELLS settled soon
after the Revolutionary War on what now forms a part of Asahel SMITH's
estate. He died early in the century.
Ebenezer CANFIELD, soon
after the Revolutionary War, built a gambrel-roofed house south of the
highway on the knoll east of the old cemetery in East Poultney, and for
some years operated a grist-mill there, some traces which are still visible.
He went to Ohio and died there.
In the spring of 1784
Bazaleel FARNUM, a soldier of the first war with Great Britain, came here
from Salisbury, Conn., and settled upon sixty acres of land which he had
purchased nine years before, being the same place now occupied by his great-grandson,
William L. FARNUM, jr. He died April 9, 1831, at the age of seventy-two
years. His eldest son, William Lee FARNUM, became a prominent man in the
councils of the town. Besides the various town offices to which he was
elected, he represented Poultney in the Legislature in the years 1832-33,
1837 and 1854. He died March to, 1873.
Michael BROUGHTON, and
his brothers Samuel and John, settled in 1786 on tracts of land included
in the strip which was annexed to Poultney in October, 1798. They were
extensive land owners, and their descendants, especially the descendants
of John BROUGHTON, became leading members of the Baptist Church in Poultney.
Many of their descendants live now within a short distance from town.
Edmund LAMSON, a blacksmith,
came from Suffield, Conn., in 1786, worked a short time for Deacon Silas
HOWE, and in 1787 bought a lot opposite the cemetery in the east village,
and erected a house there which is still standing. The farm is now in the
hands of two of his grandsons, W. B. and H. G. PRINDLE.
Calvin MALLARY, a brother
of Daniel MALLARY, sen., hereafter mentioned, settled in 1786 on a farm
about two miles south of East Poultney, now owned by his grandson, Elisha
MALLARY. He was a prominent member of the Baptist Church. His son, Calvin,
jr., passed his life on the homestead.
Elias and Ichabod BABCOCK
came from Canaan, Conn., in 1788. The former located in Finel Hollow. He
did the stone work on the present Congregational house of worship. He died
in 1836. Descendants of his are still living in the county. Ichabod pursued
his calling, that of a hatter, in the west village. He died in 1846.
Jonas MEARS settled in
Poultney not far from 1790, and raised quite a family, descendants of whom
are still residents of the town. Simeon MEARS, jr., grand-son of John MEARS,
and a man of ability, was for some time a merchant here and associated
with Colonel HICKOK in the foundry.
Samuel FIFIELD immigrated
to Poultney about 1791 or '92, and located on Pond Hill. He was the father
of eight children, of whom the first two died in infancy. Descendants of
the others are now living in town.
Hon. John STANLEY, with
his parents and three children, came to Poultney from Canaan, Conn., in
1791, and settled in a house on the site now covered by the dwelling-house
of Mrs. John CLARK. He kept store in one part of this building. About 1794
he purchased and resided in a house which occupied the present site of
Beaman's Hotel, and erected a building for a store on the opposite side
of the street. In 1816 he erected the brick house now occupied .by Mrs.
Jonas CLARK. He was judge of probate for the district of Fairhaven from
1824 to 1829 inclusive. He was a man of energy and business enterprise
and of public spirit. Of his seven children, Henry Stanley was the most
intimately associated with Poultney interests. He erected the Ruggles foundry,
the Poultney House, and the dwelling house so long occupied by Deacon JOSLIN.
He was in the State Senate in 1847-48, and contributed to the inauguration
of some of the most important interests of the town. He removed some years
ago to Brooklyn, N. Y.
Amos FRISBIE, born in
Bethlehem, Conn., December 9, 1769, came to Poultney on the last day of
November, 1792, purchased the farm now occupied by Joseph W, CLARK, and
remained there until he died on the 13th of March, 1826. He was a man of
good influence and reputation, held several important offices in town,
and was sincerely devoted to the welfare of the Congregational society.
He married twice, his second wife, daughter of William LOCKETT and widow
of Dr. William COPMAN, bearing him three children, viz., Mary, who is the
wife of James P. HARRIS, James S., now the partner of H. Clarence RANN
in the clothing business, and Emma, wife of Chauncey EDGERTON. Calvin FRISBIE
came to Poultney with his brother Amos, and some time after his brothers,
James and Ebenezer, already mentioned, arrived. He died young, and although
he left descendants, they have all gone from Vermont.
Daniel MALLARY, born
in 1758, removed from Cheshire, Conn., to Poultney in 1794. He settled
first on the place now occupied by Mrs. Mary HOSFORD, daughter of Deacon
WEBSTER ("Webster place"), and afterwards he resided in the house now occupied
by the widow of John GIBSON, and later still, for twenty years, on the
farm now owned by A. M. KNAPP. He passed his later years in the house now
occupied by Andrew CLARK in the village. He had seven children, of whom
the eldest, Rollin C. MALLARY, rose to distinction as a lawyer and member
of Congress (see Chapter XXVII). He owned and occupied the place where
Charles W. POTTER now lives.
Jonathan MORGAN, born
in Simsbury, Conn., February 15, 1779, came to Poultney with his father,
Jonathan, in 1795, and settled on the farm now owned and occupied by his
sons Isaac H. and J. Allen MORGAN. He built three saw- mills on Poultney
River, which intersected his farm, and operated two of them as long as
he lived. He died March 22, 1859. His descendants are numerous.
Thomas TODD, the pioneer
of the woolen manufacture in Poultney, came as early as 1705. He owned
the house and farm now owned by James HOPPER. The old mill is now used
by Henry SHAW in the manufacture of cider. Thomas TODD passed the last
few years of his life on the farm of his second wife in Hampton.
Noah WELLS came about
1795 from Colchester, Conn., and lived for a time with his uncle, Enos
WELLS. In 1805 he bought the farm on which are the Gibson and Schenectady
slate quarries, now owned by George GIBSON. In 1822 he moved on to the
"Sam Hyde" farm where, on the 27th of May, 1828, he died.
Elijah D. WEBSTER settled
about 1795 on the farm now occupied by his daughter, Mrs. Mary HOSFORD,
two miles south of East Poultney. He was one of the first members of the
Baptist Church and acted as deacon for years. He died July 17, 1823.
Anthony ANGEVINE, who
came to Poultney in 1797, settled on the farm now occupied by Henry W.
CRITTENDEN. After a few years he removed to Mendon, N. Y., where he died.
Some of his descendants, however, still reside in Poultney.
Peter SCRIBNER, a substantial,
well-to-do farmer, located as early as 1797 on what is now the town farm
in Hampshire Hollow. His mother was a sister of Joseph RANN. He died July
28, 1856, aged eighty-seven years; some of his descendants still survive.
Daniel SPRAGUE, a blacksmith,
came to Poultney from Salisbury, Conn., in 1798 and settled in the west
village at the place now owned by the widow of John LEWIS. He was one of
the early postmasters here, and held other important offices of trust.
He died June 2, 1853.
Samuel WOOD came to this
town from Connecticut about 1798, when he was about forty years of age,
and located in the north part of the town on the farm now owned by Mr.
Benjamin FARWELL, born
in Groton, Mass., on the 2d day of July, 1756. He took part in the battle
of Bunker Hill, under Colonel PRESCOTT, and came to Poultney in 1799, locating
on Pond Hill. Some of his descendants now reside in Poultney, and trace
their lineage back to Henry FARWELL, who lived in the seventeenth century
at Concord, Mass.
KILBURN was born July 7, 1799, in Poultney, his father, Abraham KILBURN
having come here from Litchfield, Conn., some years before. Abraham KILBURN
died in 1806. Hiram was killed by the cars October 21, 1867, while on duty
as agent at the station at Poultney. He held for years the office of deacon
of the Congregational Church, and left descendants who still survive, among
them being Mrs. William FARNUM and Albert KILBURN.
Among other arrivals
at about this period were Ebenezer SMITH, who lived and died in the house
now occupied by Joseph WADE, on Beaman street; David THOMPSON of Goshen,
Conn., who lived where M. W. BLISS now resides, and whose eldest son, Amos,
represented Poultney in the State Legislature from 1804 to 1807 inclusive,
and in 1813, 14 and 16; was one of the assistant-judges of the Rutland
County Court from 1809 to 1820 inclusive, and chief judge from 1821 to
1824; Boardwell WATKINS, who settled on the farm now owned and occupied
by John DRISCOLL; Roswell ANDRUS, from Shaftsbury, who located on the farm
now occupied by W. W. MARTIN; Benjamin GIDDINGS, who settled on the farm
now occupied by Calvin INMAN, and Solomon GIDDINGS, his nephew, both of
whom have left a numerous posterity; Daniel PARSONS, who kept tavern several
years in the house now owned by Stephen SCOTT, afterwards known as the
Neal House, in the rear part of which he and Salvator RANN for some time
kept store; Captain Royal PEASE, faint traces of whose house are still
visible near the cemetery in Finel Hollow on land of C. P. AUSTIN. Albert
Pease, his son, still lives in town.
Captain William WATSON,
a soldier of the Revolution and a man of brilliant parts, but during the
later years of his life, intemperate, was the author of the familiar witicism
in the form of a toast given at a 4th of July celebration in Poultneyabout
1810: "The enemies of our country, may they have cobweb breeches, porcupine
saddle, a hard trotting horse, and an eternal journey."
Abel PARKER, an early
settler, succeeded Nehemiah HOWE in the grist-mill at East Poultney, and
was a large land owner in his day. Carlos PARKER and Mrs. Charles W. POTTER
are his descendants.
Seth RUGGLES, a non-commissioned
officer of the Revolution, and a minute man, who served about three years
in all, was born in Hardwick, Worcester county, Mass., on the 7th of January,
1757. He came to Poultney with his wife and five children, in 1804, and
located on the place now owned by J. A. BENEDICT, about one mile north
from East Poultney. He died March 28, 1846. He was thrice married, and
all the descendants now living are from his third wife, Susannah JENKS.
His eldest son, Seth, succeeded Mr. STANLEY in the ownership and management
of the foundry now owned by Henry J. RUGGLES, his son. (A further account
of this interest appears in a subsequent page.)
Elisha SCOTT came from
Tolman, Conn., in 1804, under contract to build the Baptist Church in the
east village, which he did in the following year. He lived on the farm
now owned by D. A. SMITH; one of his three daughters married Salvator RANN,
and another Calvin MALLARY. The only one of his children now in Poultney
is Stephen, who was in earlier years a tanner and currier.
Hon. Merritt CLARK, whose
son Henry CLARK is the editor of this work, was born in Middletown, Vt.,
February 11, 1803. His father was General James CLARK, well known throughout
the State as a lawyer of great ability. Merritt CLARK was graduated from
the Rutland County Grammar School, and, in 1823, from Middlebury College.
He and his brother Horace then engaged until 1841 in the mercantile business
in Middletown. In 1841, when the Poultney Bank was established he was made
its cashier, and was connected with it during its entire history. He was
president of the Rutland and Washington railroad from its incorporation
in 1847, until it was completed to Albany. He was chiefly instrumental
in the restoration of the Troy Conference Academy in 1848. Henry CLARK,
of Rutland, and Edward CLARK, of Poultney, are his g only children.
The industries of Poultney
prior to 1800 were few in number, and for the most part of little importance
beyond the limits of the town. Saw-mills and,grist-mills abounded, for
people demanded lumber for their dwellings and flourfor their daily sustenance.
There were at one time six saw-mills in town on Poultney River. One was
erected and operated by Jonathan MORGAN, near where his sons, Isaac H.
and J. Allen MORGAN now reside. Another further down stream, near the former
residence of the late Harlow HOSFORD; a third at the falls in the east
village, operated by Abel PARKER, and later by Joseph MORSE; a fourth,
operated by Deacon Silas HOWE, at what has since been called the candlestick-factory
premises, between the two villages; one by Fay HYDE (in 1813) across the
river from the site of the RUGGLES foundry, and one at Hampton Bridge,
formerly known as Norton's mills. There were, quite early, two saw-mills
in the southeast part of the town on Endless Brook, which flows into Lake
St. Catharine, and two in the southwest part of the town, on Hadaway Brook.
There were also two on Lewis Brook in the north part of the town, one built
by John LEWIS and the other by Colonel John RANSOM, the mill of Harrison
SMITH being a continuation of the latter.
Five grist-mills had
been built in town prior to 1800. Jonathan MORGAN operated one near his
saw-mill; there was one at the TODD place a half mile east of the east
village; one at East POULTNEY, built about 1773, by Nehemiah HOWE, and
the first one in town; one near the saw-mill at the candlestick-factory
place, and one at Hampton Bridge. As early as 1785 Samuel JOSLIN and Abel
DARLING erected a forge at the TODD place.
An early industry which
attained considerable importance in Poultney was the distilling of whiskey.
At one time ten distilleries were in operation here, viz., one in Morse
Hollow, operated by Joseph MORSE, sr.; one the LEWIS farm, by John LEWIS;
one near Pond Hill, by Royal PEASE; one south of the river by Dr. David
DEWEY; one by Thomas TODD a little way up Finel Hollow, where the tobacco-box
factory afterwards stood; one about a mile east of the east village near
the red school-house, by Harlow HOSFORD; one by Alonzo HOWE, near where
the East Poultney cheese factory was afterwards built; one by Colonel RANSOM
on his farm two miles north of Poultney village; one by Horace MALLARY,
about a mile north from Ransom; and one near Hampton Bridge. The business
began to decline by 1830, and in a few years was known only as a thing
of the past.
As early as 1800 the
two villages had already begun their growth, and East Poultney was the
larger. This relation was practically sustained until the opening of the
railroad, which brought the business nearer the station, i. e., to the
west village. It was about this period that some enterprising men in and
about Poultney conceived the plan of converting the main road running north
and south through the villages, and which was used as a thoroughfare from
Lansingburgh, Troy and Albany, to Middlebury, Burlington and St. Albans,
from the rough, uneven road it then was, into a turnpike. Accordingly the
"Poultney Turnpike Company" was incorporated in the fall of 1805 and organized
in 1806. Benjamin CARVER was the first secretary. The road was designed
as part of a through line from Albany to Burlington, and was finally so
established. The road was surveyed in 1808, and completed, it is supposed,
in 1811. Being the line of stage travel north and south, the turnpike prospered
until the New York canals connecting Lake Champlain with the Hudson River,
were opened, and traffic north and south was shifted to the new and less
expensive channel. It caused the final surrender of the turnpike to the
towns through which it passed.
On the 22d day of July,
1811, a great amount of damage was done to the property in town by a terrible
freshet, which carried away dwelling-houses, and other buildings, and rendered
some fields along the banks of the Poultney River for years unfit for cultivation.
All the mills on Poultney River in town, with one exception, were carried
away. Ithamar SMITH's dwelling was swept into the flood. One, George MORGAN,
lost his life while attempting to cross the stream on horseback when it
had begun to swell.
After the close of the
Revolutionary War, and the settlement of the land controversy with New
York, the inhabitants of Poultney, in common with other towns on the western
border of Vermont, were permitted to pursue for a number of years the vocations
whose progress had been prevented by those memorable struggles. The industries
and inventions of men, now that the rude invasion of a foreign foe was
no longer feared, were prosecuted with the diligence of which those times
alone furnish examples, but the towns that border on Lake Champlain, and
their neighbor towns, were destined to suffer again the fears and privations
No record exists containing
the names of all those from Poultney who took part in the War of 1812,
but it is reasonably certain that the town furnished her proportion. William
MILLER, afterwards prominent as a Baptist clergyman and later more prominent
as an Advent preacher, then a resident of Poultney; received a captain's
commission from Governor Jonas GALUSHA, and was ordered to Burlington with
his company, which he raised in Poultney. The following, among others,
left Poultney to serve in this war:
Thomas SHEPA, Horace
THOMPSON, Russell PITKIN, Charles OBRAHAM, John BROWN, Stephen, ANGEVINE,
Philip ANGEVINE, Roswell CALENDER, Jonathan PIERCE and Amass THATCHER.
It is not known, however, that all of the above named were in Captain Miller's
company, though the presumption is that most of them were.
can so encourage those who believe in the stability of our government,
as the fact that notwithstanding the extreme bitterness before the War
1812, or party spirit, and the refusal of adherents of either party to
mingle any way with those of the other party, they lay aside the hatred
that separated them in peace, and yielded to the love that united them
in war." Then succeeded the long peace that prevailed with only one brief
and insignificant interruption until the Civil War roused the warlike energies
of another generation. But Poultney seems to have degenerated so much that
she could not do her duty promptly and efficiently in all the emergencies
of the war. The following is a list of soldiers credited to the town of
Poultney, with the time of enlistment of each, the time of service, etc.
Volunteers for three
years credited previous to the call for 300,000 of October 17, 1863: George
C. BABCOCK, Co. F, 6th regt.; George W. BALLARD, Alanson BARBER and Charles
S. BARBER, Co. B, 2d regt.; Horace E. BARBER, Co. I, 7th regt.; Luther
S. BARNES, cav., Co. H; David B. BATEMAN, John S. BATEMAN and Lewis L.
BATEMAN, Co. B, 2d regt.; Frederick BEALS, Co. G, 11th regt.; John BODFISH,
Co. I, 5th regt.; Chauncey W. BROWN and Eben BUTLER, Co. B, 2d regt.; James
A. BUTLER, Co. B, 9th regt.; John BUTLER, Co. I, 5th regt.; William O.
BUTLER, Co. B, 9th regt.; Robert CALDWELL, Frank H. CARRIGAN and James
B. CARRIGAN, Co. B, 2d regt.; Henry B. CASSAVANT, Co. C, 11th regt.; Charles
CLARK, Co. I, 7th regt.; Obadiah COLE, Co. B, 2d regt.; Albert F. CULVER,
Co. E, 2d s. s.; Alanson DRAPER and David DRAPER, co. I, 7th regt.; Oscar
DRAPER, Co. I, 5th regt.; F. M. EDGERTON and Edson H. FIFIELD, Co. B, 2d
regt.; Joseph GEROY, Co. I, 5th regt.; Rollin M. GREEN, Co. I, 7th. regt.;
Timothy HALEY, Co. I, 5th regt.; Charles HAMMOND, Co. B, 2d regt.; John
W. HARRISON, Co. I, 7th regt.; Henry H. HART, Co. C, 11th regt.; Matthew
HENNESSEY, Co. G, 2d regt.; Edgar J. HERRICK, Co. H, 5th regt.; David R.
HOSFORD, Co. I, 5th regt.; Adin E. HOWARD, Co. B, 2d regt.; David B. HUNTER,
Co. I, 7th regt.; Henry G. HUNTER, Co. B, 2d regt.; Robert HUNTER, Co.
I, 7th regt.; William H. HYDE, Co. B, 2d regt.; Oliver JONES, Co. B, 9th
regt.; Frank KILBORN, Co. C, 11th regt.; Samuel KILBORN, Co. I, 5th regt.;
William LAMB, Co. C, 11th regt.; Charles E. LANCASTER, and Henry F. LEWIS,
Co. I, 5th regt.; Judson A. LEWIS, Co. C, 11th regt.; Julius LEWIS, Co.
I, 5th regt.; William G. LEWIS, Co. B, 2d regt.; Lucius LINCOLN, Co. E,
5th regt.; Thomas MAHAR, Albert E. MARANVILLE, Merritt P. MARANVILLE, Co.
B, 2d regt.; Marcus MARSHALL, Co. H, cav.; William V. MEEKER, Co. C, 11th
regt.; Joseph MEARS, Co. H, 2d regt.; Charles MEHRLING, Co. I, 7th regt.;
William MILLER, Co. B, 2d regt.; Lester E. MONROE, Co. B, 9th regt.; Charles
A. MOULTON, Martin A. MUNROE, Co. C, 11th regt.; Jonas H. MUNSON, Levi
L. MUNSON, Co. 13, 2d regt.; James OATMAN, jr., Co. I, 7th regt.; Michael
O’BRIEN, Co. B, 2d regt.; Charles H. PACKARD, Co. B, 7th regt.; Isaac E.
Parker, Andrew PERRY, 5th regt.; Joshua POTTER Co. I, 7th regt.; Frank
J. PRAY, n J. PRESTON, Co. C, 11th regt.; Gilbert H. PRINDLE, Co. H, 2d
regt. s. s.; Edwin C. RICHARDSON, Co. I, 7th regt.; James W. RIPLEY, Co.
C, 11th regt.; James G. ROE, rec. 2d regt.; Charles C. RUGGLES, Co. I,
7th regt.; Grove S. SCRIBNER, Co. H, 2d s. s.; Amander A. SHAW, William
S. SHAW, George W. SHAW, Co. C, 11th regt.; Silas H. SHUMWAY, John SMITH,
William P. SPAULDING, Co. I, 5th regt.; William P. SMITH, Co. B, 9th regt.;
James F. STODDARD, Co. I, 7th regt.; Charles H. STOWE, Co. B, 2d regt.;
Proctor SWALLOW, Co. I, 7th regt.; Allen THOMPSON, Co. F., 6th regt.; Charles
E. THOMPSON, John E. THORNTON, Co. I, 5th regt.; David H. WHALEN, Co. C,
11th regt.; James WILSON, rec. regt.; Joseph C. WOODWARD, Co. B, 2d regt.
Credits under call of
October 17th, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers and subsequent calls. Volunteers
for three years. -- Horace E. BARBER, Co. I, 17th regt.; Justus P. BARKER,
Co. I, 5th regt.; John BUTLER, Co. H, cav.; William S. COOK, Co. I, 7th
regt.; Robert CORNISH, Walter DOUGLASS, Henry GORHAM, Co. I, 5th regt.;
Dewitt C. FALKENBURG, Co. H, cav.; Merritt D. GRISWOLD, Co. I, 7th regt.;
Henry M. GUILDER, James F. GUILDER, Morgan B. GUILDER, Co. G, cav.; Nathan
LOVELAND, Co. B. cav.; Jeremiah MANNING, Co. I, 5th regt.; Egbert L. MARANVILLE,
Co. B, 2d regt.; Franklin MCLEOD, Co. M, cav.; Edmond MONROE, Co. G, cav.;
Joel P. MONTGOMERY, Co. I, 5th regt.; Jay D. MORSE, 2d bat.; Edwin A. PORTER,
Co. G, cav.; James F. PRESTON, John B. SHAW, John M. SHAW, Co. I, 5th regt.;
Ephraim SHELDRICK, 2d bat.; Jenks B. STEVENS, Co. I, 5th regt.; Henry A.
TAYLOR, Co. I, 7th regt.; Francis H. WHALAN, Co. H. cav.
Volunteers for one year.
-- Leonard G. BUFFUM, Co. B, 9th regt.; George W. DAVIS, Co. B, 9th regt.;
Daniel A. ENSIGN, 2d bat.; William C. FIELD, Co. F, 2d regt.; William B.
GIDDINGS, 7th regt.; William L. HOWARD, Co. C, 7th regt.; John R. JOHNSON,
cav.; Patrick KENNEDY, Co. D, 7th regt.; Frank LADDERBUSH, cav.; William
MILLER, 2d bat.; William B. O'HERE, 6th regt.; George OLNEY, 9th regt.;
Chandler P. RAWSON, Co. H, 9th regt.; Horace E. SMITH, Co. K, 7th regt.;
Antoine WILLET, Co. B, 4th regt.; John M. YOUNG, Co. B, 9th regt.
-- Oscar BABBITT, Co. I, 5th regt.; Lewis L. BATEMAN, Co. B, 2d regt.;
Prosper E. FALES, 2d bat.; Edson H. FIFIELD, q. m. s., 2d regt.; Joseph
GEROY, David R. HOSFORD, Co. I, 5th regt.; Albert E. MARANVILLE, Co. H,
2d regt.; Edson MCKENZIE, Charles MEHRLING, Joshua POTTER, Co. I, 7th regt.;
Grove S. SCRIBNER, Co. H, 2d regt. s. s.; Proctor SWALLOW, Co. I, 7th regt.;
Charles E. THOMPSON, Co. I, 5th regt.
Enrolled men who furnished
substitutes. -- Heman R. CLARK, Henry CLARK, Ed. H. GIBSON, Nelson C. HYDE,
A. K. RIDER, Henry RUGGLES, L. E. THOMPSON, Schuyler, C. WELLS.
Not credited by name, four men.
Volunteers for nine months.
-- Stephen S. BEACH, Cyrus M. BLISS, Isaac BOSWORTH, Co. F. 14th regt.;
William H. BOYCE, Co. K, 14th regt.; Edwin D. DAVIS, Solomon DEWEY, Stephen
A. DOUGLASS, J. P. EDDY, Joseph B. ENSIGN, Sylvanus F. HOOK, Robert HUNTER,
Co. F, 14th regt.; Clark LAMB, Co. K, 14th regt.; Roswell R. LEWIS, Charles
S. LAMB, Co. F, 14th regt.; Adin K. MARSHALL, Co. R, 14th regt.; George
MERLING, Ashbel H. PEPPER, Charles R. POMEROY, Charles A. RANN, Co. F,
14th regt.; Benjamin RICE, Co. K, 14th regt., Hiram T. SMITH, John H. THOMPSON,
Charles E. VAUGHAN, Co. F, 14th regt.
Furnished under draft
and paid commutation. -- Lucius AMES, Hiram G. BARBER, Charles F. BOOMER,
Charles R. BULL, Henry W. CRITTENDEN, Asahel DEWEY, George W. FITCH, Solomon
E. HOOKER, Henry HOWE, Charles KNAPP, Joseph M. LEWIS, Mark LEWIS, Charles
RIPLEY, jr., Edwin C. SPAULDING, John S. WELLS. Entered service, James
The following figures
indicate the population of Poultney as shown every decade of years by the
United States census: 1791, 1,121; 1800, 1,694; 1810, 1,950; 1820, 1,955;
1830, 1,909; 1840, 1,880; 1850, 2,329; 1860; 2,278; 1870, 2,836; 1880,
The first church in town
was the Congregational Church, which was organized in 1780 by Rev. Ithamer
HIBBARD, of Bennington, and a chaplain in the army of the Revolution. It
is not known who the original members were, but the following were probably
among the members in 1795: Samuel LEE, Silas HOWE, Calvin MALLARY, Bazaleel
FARNUM, Joel FRISBIE, Barnabus RICHMOND, Timothy CRITTENDEN and Oliver
STRONG. There was a division of the church about 1785, owing to some unfavorable
opinion of the orthodoxy of the pastor, and a part of the congregation
withdrew and held separate worship thereafter, under the ministration of
Mr. THOMPSON, until 1796, when a union was effected. This was the last
year of Mr. HIBBARD's pastorate. The church was then supplied for a time
by Rev. David SMITH, Prince JENNEY and a Mr. HAWLEY, but had no settled
pastor until December, 1802, when Rev. Samuel LEONARD accepted a call,
and on the following May 18, was duly installed. His pastorate of eighteen
years was successful, and witnessed the completion of the new and present
house of worship, while the old one built by the Congregational and Baptist
societies in unison was destroyed by degrees until 1812, when every timber
had disappeared. On November 21, 1821, Rev. Ethan SMITH was installed Mr.
LEONARD's successor. He was dismissed on the third of November, 1826. Since
his dismission the following pastors have been installed over the church
: October 24, 1827, to the fall of 1834, Rev. Sylvester COCHRAN. During
his pastorate (1829-30), large numbers were added to all the churches here
in consequence of an earnest revival. Rev. Solomon LYMAN, February 26,
1835, to November 16, 1842. March 25, 1843, to January 30, 1846, Rev. Joseph
MYRES; summer of 1847 to July 6, 1848, Rev. Daniel C. FROST. Rev. Cephus
H. KENT, stated supply about two years and a half. March 9, 1853, to May
6, 1854, Rev. Jacob E. BLAKELY. January 10, 1856, to January 6, 1859, Rev.
Calvin N. RANSOM. April 18, 1860, to February 23, 1869, Rev. John G. HALE.
Rev. Ovid MINER, stated supply for about two years. Rev. Calvin GRANGER,
the present pastor, came to East Poultney from Hubbardton in 1872, and
began his labors in June of that year. The Sabbath-school was established
in connection with this church as early as 1825; the present superintendent
is A. B. RIPLEY. The average attendance is about thirty. The present deacons
of the church are A. B. RIPLEY, William FARNUM and J. H. MEARS. The church
membership numbers about eighty, and the estimated value of all the church
property is $5,000.
The Baptist Church of
Poultney was organized in 1782, and united for some years in worship and
communion with the Congregational Church. Among the early Baptists in Poultney
were Isaac ASHLEY, William WARD, Mrs. Thomas ASHLEY, John ASHLEY, Ichabod
MARSHALL, Mrs. Ichabod MARSHALL and Elijah D. WEBSTER. On the 19th of May,
1802, the two societies having now been separated, Rev. Clark KENDRICK
was ordained pastor. The present church edifice in East Poultney was erected
in 1805 at an expense of $6,000, the audience-room being papered in 1839,
at an additional expense of $2,000. On the 19th of February, 1824, Mr.
KENDRICK died. Mr. Pharcellus CHURCH was ordained June 23, 1825, and resigned
on the 21st of October, 1828. Rev. Eli B. SMITH, his successor, entered
upon his labors with the church on the 23d of August, 1829. Samuel C. DILLOWAY
came January 6, 1834, and continued until April 1, 1838. On the 20th of
December, 1838, Velony R. HOTCHKISS was ordained pastor. Rev. Joseph M.
DRIVER entered upon his pastoral office here November 5, 1842, and remained
until April 5, 1845. The next pastor, Rev. Joseph CANNON, who commenced
in February, 1846, dissolved the relation May 28, 1848. Rev. John GAODBY,
D. D., became pastor on the 21st of January, 1849. His successor, Rev.
William L. PALMER, was pastor from September, 1859, until August 5, 1865.
Dr. GAODBY returned as supply on the 12th of November following, and accepted
a call in April, 1867. He remained this time until the close of the year
1872. In May, 1867, the church was divided, and services were held thereafter
in the west village under the pastorate of Dr. GAODBY, and in the east
village under the preaching of Warren MASON. This division occasioned a
great feeling of bitterness between the two sections which it took years
to abate, the matter even reaching the secular courts in litigation. A
settlement was effected in September, 1871.
After the termination
of Dr. GAODBY's pastoral relations, the pulpit in the west village was
supplied by various ministers. James A. PIERCE, a Hamilton student, was
ordained, pastor July 29, 1873, and remained several years. The present
pastor is Rev H. H. PARRY, since July 19, 1885. The new church edifice
in this village was dedicated January 24, 1872. The present membership
is 170. Average attendance at Sabbath-school is ninety. Albert KILBORN
is superintendent. As before stated, Rev. Warren MASON supplied the pulpit
at the East Poultney Baptist Church for several months, and was succeeded
by Rev. Thomas TOBIN who, after supplying the desk for four months, became
pastor in April, 1868.. He closed his labors here on the 4th of February,
1871. The church was then for two years without a pastor. A. T. DUNN then
accepted a call and was pastor from April 6, 1873, to April 1, 1874, meanwhile
receiving ordination. Rev. David BEECHER was pastor for some years after
the middle of May, 1874 There is at present no pastor here. A Sabbath-school
was connected with the church in about 1829, during the pastorate of E.
B. SMITH. The present Sabbath-school superintendent is Frederick CARLTON.
The church membership no numbers about sixty persons; J. R. DEWEY and H.
HOWE are the present deacons.
Methodist Episcopal Church
The Methodist Episcopal
Church of Poultney was formally organized in 1826. Among the first members
of the society, which was organized in April of the same year, were Daniel
MALLARY, Welcome PHILLIPS, Anthony AUSTIN, Newton SANFORD, Samuel CLEVELAND,
William WELLS, Isaac TAYLOR, John ALLEN, Alanson RICE, Rufus MAYNARD, Henry
STANLEY, Joel BEAMAN, John W. AUSTIN, Noah WELLS, and others. Poultney,
however, was a subject of more or less frequent visitations from the circuit
preachers. Lorenzo DOW's first arrival was in 1797. Rev. Tobias SPICER
received an appointment to preach in East Poultney in 1810. The first house
of worship was the old stone church erected in 1822. This was used until
the winter of 1841-42, when the present edifice was dedicated. It will
seat six hundred persons and cost originally about $12,000. It has undergone
extensive repairs and improvements several times since it was built. The
Sabbath-school was organized almost contemporaneously with the church,
the average attendance whereof is about 140, while the church membership
numbers about 160. The present value of the church property is $12,500,
including the parsonage. The present pastor, Rev. C. A. S. HEATH, came
in the spring of 1885. The Sabbath-school superintendent is Frederick COOK.
The present stewards and trustees are, A. E. KNAPP, John RICHARDS, T. STANLEY,
H. P. PROUTY, D. F. SOUTHWORTH, C. F. HARRIS, C. C. LOOMIS, H. ROWE, J.
W. RIPLEY; class leaders, H. P. PROUTY and H. CLARK. The treasurer is H.
P. PROUTY and the secretary, J. W. RIPLEY.
St. John's Church (Episcopal).
-- This church was not properly organized until the period intervening
between 1820 and 1825, although there were probably a few adherents of
this faith in town from about 1792.
In the year 1800 Rev.
Amos PARDEE, rector of the. Hampton (N. Y.) parish, took up his residence
in East Poultney, and accepted an invitation from friends to "preach in
town as special occasions should call for and convenience would permit."
Notwithstanding the incomplete organization of the society, it was represented
in the convention of the diocese, in 1809, by Ebenezer CANFIELD, and in
1811 by Lerial LEWIS. In 1824, probably the year when the Church organization
was finally effected, the new parish was represented in the annual convention
by Philo HOSFORD. In July, 1828, Rev. Moore BINGHAM assumed charge of the
parish. At this time the following persons constituted the number of communicants:
Abijah WILLIAMS and wife, Mrs. Persis BAILEY, Mrs. Fanny MALLARY, Mrs.
PRINDLE, Lerial LEWIS and wife, Mrs. Lucy GIFFORD, Aaron LEWIS, Sarah YOUNG,
and Mrs. HOSFORD. Services were held in the school-house at East Poultney.
The corner-stone of the church edifice was laid May 27, 1831, and the building
was first used in exactly one year afterward. Mr. BINGHAM's rectorship
continued until Easter, 1837. Rev. Luman FOOT followed him for about one
year; after Easter, 1840, Rev. Lucias M. PERDY officiated as rector for
over two years and was followed in January, 1843, by Rev. Norman W. CAMP;
he remained for but one year. During the holidays of 1844-45 Rev. Benjamin
DANIELS took charge of the parish, to which he ministered until his death
in the following September. For the six months following the end of July,
1845, Rev. James STEPHENSON was rector. The rectorship of Rev. Oliver HOPSON
began the Sunday after Easter, 1847, and continued to Easter, 1865. He
was succeeded in 1866 by Rev. Nathaniel F. PUTNAM, who began also to hold
services in Joslin Hall for the west village. These services were so well
attended as to justify the erection of the church edifice in the west village,
which was consecrated in the fall of 1868. The present rector E. H. RANDALL,
began his labor here in the fall of 1869. The, present officers of the
church are as follows: Seth B. WOODWORTH, senior warden; William B. PRINDLE,
junior warden; George WARD, Reuben R. THRALL, John KNOWLSON, M. D., vestrymen.
There are now about 115 communicants in the parish, and at the Sabbath-school,
of which the rector is ex-officio superintendent, there is an average attendance
of about forty pupils. The church property is valued at $10,000.
Christian Advent Church
The Christian Advent
Church was organized in February, 1858, with a membership of about 120
members: Asa J. ROGERS, Asa B. COOK and Justus L. KNAPP were the first
deacons. The first pastor was Rev. John HOWELL, who remained about two
years. Meetings were held in the old stone church, until November, 1869,
since which time their services have been held in the Odd Fellows Hall.
No regular services, however, have been held for years, although Rev. J.
A. LIBBY, of Castleton, preaches here occasionally. There, are about fifty
Roman Catholic Church
The Roman Catholic Church
edifice was erected in 1864, under the direction of Rev. Thomas P. LYNCH,
then resident at West Rutland. Services had previously been held at irregular
intervals for a number of years. Rev. J. C. O'DWYER, resident at Fairhaven,
was the second priest, and succeeded by the present priest, Rev. P. J.
O'CARROLL. The church is a Fairhaven charge. The cost of erecting the edifice
in 1864 was about $3,000. The property is now valued at $3,500.
The Troy Conference Academy
was founded in 1833, the "beauty, healthfulness, temperance, good order,
and freedom from influences baneful to a school, of Poultney," determining
its founders to build it up in this place. The people of Poultney, among
whom, it is said, Henry STANLEY was the most generous, were very liberal
in their donations. The charter granted by the Vermont Legislature in 1834
contained the names of the following corporators, John STANLEY, Benjamin
BARNET, Samuel P. HOOKER, Tobias SPICEER, Samuel D. FERGUSON, Noah LEVINGS,
Sherman MINER, Peter C. OAKLEY and Timothy BENEDICT. The building was completed
in September, 1837. The academy was opened, however, in 1836, in a select-school
building. Sabin S. STOCKING was the first principal. The new building cost
more than $40,000, and embarrassed the conference with a heavy debt. In
1855 the property was therefore, given by perpetual lease to Rev. Joshua
POOR, who conducted what was, in reality, a private school in it until
1863. Rev. John NEWMAN and Prof. SEAMAN A. KNAPP then purchased it, and
kept what they denominated the "Ripley Female College" until 1865, when
NEWMAN became sole proprietor, and continued until August 26, 1873. In
1871 he published a proposition looking to the re-establishment of the
conference academy, which resulted in the resolution by the conference
to adopt it as a conference school, if it should be presented to them free
of encumbrances. A number of the citizens of Poultney offered contributions
sufficient to effectuate this object, and the property accordingly passed
to the conference trustees. In 1873-74 Rev. N. S. CRAMER carried on a day
school under the direction of the trustees, and on the 27th of August,
1874, the academy began its second career under favorable circumstances,
with a complete faculty and boarding department. The principals, after
the retirement of Rev. S. S. STOCKING in 1837, have been the following:
Rev. Daniel CURRY, D. D., 1837-38; Rev. James COVEL, A. M., 1838-40; Rev.
Jesse T. PECK, D. D., 1840-48; Rev. John NEWMAN, A. M., 1848-51; Rev. Oran
FAYVILLE, A. M., 1851-52; Rev. Jason F. WALKER, A. M., 1852-55; Rev. William
H. POOR, A. B., 1855-56; Lewis COLLINS, A. M., 1856-58; Rev. R. M. MANLEY,
A. M., 1858-60; Revs. William H. POOR, A. B., and George S. CHADBOURN,
A. M., 1860. The first principal after the restoration was Rev. M. E. CADY,
A. M., who remained a number of years. His successor, the present principal,
Rev. C. H. DUNTON, came here in 1877, and conducts a most admirable school.
The graded school of
Poultney is excellent in all its appointments. The building was erected
in 1884 at a cost, including furniture, of $12,000. It is divided into
The general history of
the slate business in the county has received attention in Chapter XIII.
We will therefore confine our statements to the history of the Poultney
interests. The first quarry was opened in 1851 by Daniel and S. E. HOOKER
on the farm then owned by Daniel HOOKER, about three miles north of Poultney
village, and a little more than a mile south of the old "Eagle " quarry
in Castleton. This firm, Hooker & Son, it has been said, was the third
to engage in the slate business in Vermont. In 1854 they enlarged their
business. A. W. HYDE at one time had a controlling interest in the quarries.
Daniel HOOKER is now deceased, and S. E. HOOKER is conducting the drug
business in the west village. Some time before 1875 Hugh G. HUGHES obtained
possession of the quarries, and still further increased the business.
The Eureka Slate Company
was organized in 1878. The present owner, Captain Reginald ROBERTS, went
in with Hugh G. HUGHES that year, and succeeded to the entire interest,
when the latter was killed in the quarry a little more than two years ago.
The average production of these three openings is 1,200 square feet of
unfading green slate per month; 600 feet of purple, and 300 feet of sea-green.
The mill for sawing this slate was built in 1834, and is the only mill
in the world in which slate is sawn for roofing purposes. Aboutsixty-five
men are employed. The plot of land on which the quarries are situated is
thirty-two acres in extent.
The "Farnum Quarry,"
so called, was opened in 1853 and worked until 1868 by William E. FARNUM
& Son, on the farm now owned by Merritt CLARK, but is not worked now.
The quarries on the present farm of William L. FARNUM are leased, but not
at present working. George H. BOYCE has one quarry in operation, the farm
lying next south of Mr. FARNUM.
The Evergreen Quarry,
north of the Hooker farm, was first opened by Griffith HUGHES in about
1860. The Evergreen Slate Company, originally comprised of James WISWELL,
W. A. CLARK, Andrew CLARK and Griffith HUGHES, was incorporated November
19, 1868. In the summer of 1875 work was suspended for a time. The present
company of Ainsworth & Cole, composed of H. AINSWORTH, and M. D. COLE,
was formed in May, 1884. The color of the slate is a purple and a permanent
green; a stratum twenty feet deep of the former, resting on one of a much
greater depth of green, which is worked chiefly into billiard beds and
mantel stock. About fifty men are employed.
of a mile south of the HOOKER farm above mentioned are seven openings on
the farm of L. C. SPAULDING, the first opening having been made in the
fall of 1865. Only four of these are at present worked, and are leased
to William LLOYD, Richard E. LLOYD, and LLOYD & JONES, all of Fairhaven.
The new Empire Slate
Company, formed in 1879, succeeded then to the interest of Evan E. LLOYD,
who began in 1853; Captain William H. Jones, his partner, came in 1879.
They have an interest in three quarries, one of which they now work, about
one and a half miles south of Poultney village. This quarry was opened
in 1860 by George W. GIBSON. It produces about 2,000 squares per annum.
This company also contract largely for the purchase and sale of slate.
We take from the history
of Poultney several facts which we are informed are true today as they
were in 1875. The GIBSON quarry, about two miles south of the village was
discovered and opened in 1864 by Owen WILLIAMS, and was afterwards purchased
by a Schenectady company, and worked in connection with another quarry
in the immediate vicinity, called the Schenectady quarry. A short distance
north of these openings is the Horton quarry; opened in 1871 and for some
years worked by Cyrus E. HORTON. It produced green roofing slate.
The Green Mountain slate
vein, discovered by the late William R. WILLIAMS in 1866, and opened by
himself and his brother, John R. WILLIAMS, the same year, is about one
hundred rods east of the railroad track on land then owned by Aaron LEWIS.
J. DAVIS opened the Olive
Branch quarry in 1867, in the same vicinity. The slate about here is a
mottled green color.
Just east of the Green
Mountain quarry, on the farm of Asa J. ROGERS, is a vein of sea green slate,
discovered and opened in July, 1871, by William GRIFFITH and William NATHANIEL,
who now work five quarries there under the firm style of Griffith &
Nathaniel. In 1879 they built their office near the depot and carry on
the business with great regularity. The production of their quarries amounts
to 1,500 or 2,000 squares per month, the slate being shipped even to Australia
and different parts of Europe. It is used entirely for roofing purposes.
The firm of AULD &
CONGER have quarries in the south part of the town, which have been worked
for seven or eight years past with good success. The product of the quarries
is a fine quality of sea green roofing slate. Messrs. AULD & CONGER
have been together since the quarries were opened.
RIPLEY & STANLEY,
hereafter mentioned at greater length, added a slate mill to their other
factory, in November, 1883.
Richard L. JONES, Seth
ROBERTS and Thomas EDWARDS, under the firm name of JONES, ROBERTS &
EDWARDS, work a quarry of sea green slate in the south part of the town,
which was discovered by Mr. Edwards in 1882, just before the present partnership
was formed. The production ranges from 2,500 to 5,000 squares a year. Mr.
EDWARDS has also three quarries on his farm south of the above, which he
leases respectively to AULD & CONGER, of Cleveland, Ohio; PARRY &
JONES, of Poultney, and Owen DAVIS, of Poultney. Mr. EDWARDS worked
these quarries himself until 1884. They produce from 10,000 to 15,.000
squares a year, in all.
S. COOMBE, manufacturer
of marbleized slate mantels, lamp bases, etc., started here in August,
1884, and already does about a $50,000 business.
The Poultney Slate Works
have three openings on the farm before mentioned, formerly belonging to
HOOKEr & Son, and a large mill within ten rods of the quarry. It is
a stock company, incorporated in August, 1884, under the laws of the State
of New York, with F. T. SARGENT for president; H. C. DERIVERA, treasurer
and general manager, and Salvador ROS, vice-president and secretary. M.
B. MAYHAR is the general superintendent of the works. They have warerooms
at 513 and 515 Sixth Avenue, New York, at 916 Gates Avenue, Brooklyn, and
178 Tremont street, Boston. The New York office is at 117 Pearl Street.
They employ on an average seventy men and finish about four hundred marbleized
mantels monthly, the mills having a capacity for about 16,000 feet of stock
per month. The quarry was opened for the gentlemen now composing the company
in May, 1881, by M. D. MAYHAR. The largest opening is about 200 feet long,
100 wide and 100 deep, and contains an underground cavity tunneled about
one hundred by eighty feet.
Besides the quarries
and companies mentioned, a number of skillful slate men contract with the
companies dealing in slate, and furnish it at their own expense.
Robert O. ROBERTS contracts now with RIPLEY & STANLEY and formerly
contracted with GRIFFITH & NATHANIEL. He began here in the summer of
Since 1875, it is said,
the slate business of Poultney has more than doubled in volume, and has
also greatly increased in profits. It is comparatively in its infancy yet,
however, and if properly developed, will be a source of great wealth to
POULTNEY INDUSTRIAL SOCIETY
This society was organized
on the 3d of September, 1881, by the election of the following officers:
Honorable Ralph RICHARDS, president: R. J. HUMPHREY, secretary; and Edward
CLARK, treasurer. It was reorganized on the 4th of August, 1882, and incorporated
under the laws of Vermont. The officers for 1885 are N. C. HYAR, president;
M. O. STODDARD, vice-president: R. J. HUMPHREY, secretary; M. J. HORTON,
treasurer; R. H. CLARK, general superintendent; directors, T. B. CLARK,
R. T. RAY, E. R. PEMBER, R. R. THRALL, H. C. RANN, J. A. BENEDICT. The
society enjoys the peculiar advantage of freedom from the control of horse-jockeys,
no trotting, being exhibited during the season of its fairs. Fine, commodious
buildings, have been erected on the grounds of the society at an expense
of about $2,000. The last report of the treasurer shows the sum on hand
to be $1,300, with no outstanding liabilities.
The officers of the town
of Poultney, elected in March, 1885, are as follows: William H. ROWLAND,
town clerk; Charles RIPLEY, L. C. SPAULDING, Joseph F. MORSE, selectmen;
J. W. D. DEANE, treasurer; Alonzo HERRICK, constable and collector; Charles
A. RANN, Edward S. MILLER, Walter METCALF, listers ; F. S. Platt, M. COSTELLO,
G. D. BELDEN, auditors., Charles A. RANN, overseer of the poor; Rev. Calvin
GRANGER, superintendent of schools; Charles S. LEWIS, J. H. TAY, Charles
BEALS, fence viewers; William ROWLAND, representative.
Little concerning the
history of the villages, in addition to what is contained in foregoing
pages, can now be said. Prior to the building of the Rutland and Washington
railroad through the west village in 1852, East Poultney had from the beginning
been deemed the business and social center of the town. All the churches
were located there, town meetings and freemen's meetings, military trainings,
holiday celebrations, and public, gatherings of every sort were all held
there. But the opening of railroads invariably shifts the channels of trade.
The west village soon after 1852 began to increase in population and business
importance, and the east village suffered a corresponding diminution in
enterprise. In 1868, after years of zealous effort and the enkindling of
many bitter animosities, a vote to have the town meetings held in the west
village was passed and the change was complete. Thebulk of the business
of the town is now in the west village.
One of the two hotels
now open in town, viz., Beaman's Hotel, was the stage station before stage
lines were superseded by canals and railroads. It is not the first hotel
in town, that distinction belonging to the tavern of Thomas ASHLEY, on
the site of the school-house on the main road; but it is very old and historic.
The site, then partly covered by a single storied house, was purchased
by John STANLEY in 1794. Subsequently he erected a two storied house, which
now comprises a part of the hotel, and in 1805 or 1806 opened a tavern
there. Joel BEAMAN bought him out in 1809 and thereafter kept public house
until his death in 1846. His son, J. D. BEAMAN, succeeded him then until
1849, when the present proprietor, C. C. BEAMAN, also son to Joel BEAMAN,
took possession and has remained owner and proprietor ever since. The house
has been rebuilt several times, the most complete transformation being
effected by Joel BEAMAN in 1824. About thirty guests can be comfortably
The Poultney House was
erected by Henry STANLEY about 1834 and occupies the site covered by the
store of John STANLEY about the opening of the present century. A. H. BROWN
kept the hotel longer than any other landlord and preceded the present
proprietor, Mr. Joselyn.
The oldest store in town
is the one kept by Deweys & Co., of East Poultney, which was built
before 1816, and first kept by Bryan RANSOM and Harvey D. SMITH. Amos BLISS
ran the store for several years following about 1820. David POTIWIN followed
BLISS and in two or three years was succeeded by William P. NOYES, who
remained until about 1850. His successors were Zebediah DEWEY and Peter
FARNAM. T. D. and E. S. DEWEY also kept there for some years. The present
firm formed August 31, 1874, by the addition of I. G. BLISS to the Deweys.
W.W. HIBBARD, dealer
in books and stationery, drugs and medicines, established the last named
department :n the summer of 1860, and afterwards added the stationery stand.
He is the better qualified as a druggist from having graduated from the
Castleton Medical College in about 1850.
L.E. THOMPSON bought
out the grocery and crockery store of Charles RIPLEY about twenty years
ago, and until within two years kept store in the eastern part of the village.
The dry goods store of
Charles LEFFINGWELL was started by him in May, 1870.
The business now carried
on by George H. RIPLEY, dealer in boots and shoes, trunks, bags, etc.,
was established about 1873 by J. C. DERBY. Mr. Ripley bought him out May
In the fall of 1876 S.
E. HOOKER bought the stock of drugs and medicines belonging to Dr. Hiram
MEEKER, and has since carried on the business himself. He was formerly
a member of the firm of Daniel HOOKER & Son, slaters.
P. BRENNAN, grocer and
general merchant, succeeded P. H. Hill in the fall of 1877. HILL had been
in the business here about a year previous.
M.J. HORTON, dealer in
hardware and stoves, groceries, paints, house furnishing goods, etc., started
here in June, 1877, as successor to E. C. RICHARDSON.
E.M. BIXBY, dealer in
coal, wood, lime, cement, etc., bought out the coal business of Henry RUGGLES
in the spring of 1877.
The store of RANN &
FRISBIE, comprising a stock of gentlemen's furnishing goods, clothing,
trunks, bags, robes and horse clothing, was started by H. C. RANN and J.
S. FRISBIE, the present proprietors, May 1, 1878. Mr. RANN had had considerable
mercantile experience before that, both here and in Rutland.
F.P. ALLEN purchased
the stock of L. A. HAWES, dealer in jewelry and gents' furnishing goods
in September, 1878, and now carries on business.
J.W.D. DEANE and D. F.
SOUTHWORTH, dealers in clothing and men's furnishing goods, formed the
partnership of Deane & Southworth, September 1, 1885. Mr. SOUTHWORTH
had before that carried on a general mercantile business here since 188o.
Mr. DEANE has, separately, a general store, which he started in November,
The firm of Chapin &
Smith (M. D. CHAPIN and Pratt G. SMITH) was formed in the spring of 1882;
they now run a hardware store and are extensively engaged in the manufacture
of creameries and churns. About two hundred creameries are annually sold
in New York alone, and 400 to 500 churns. Mr. CHAPIN began to manufacture
them in the spring of 1879.
M.A. HOWARD, jr., druggist
and general merchant, on the 22d of July, 1885, bought out C. W. POTTER,
who had been in the business for about two years.
The dry goods and general
store of M. M. & M. MYERS was started by them in the fall of 1883.
Isaac CANE, who deals
in clothing and fancy dry goods, began his mercantile career here in 1856,
and from 1868 to 1879 ran a store in the village. His present business
he founded in September, 1885.
The restaurant and grocery
of E. A. CLAYTON was started by Jerry LEWIS, in 1868. Mr. CLAYTON bought
him out in March, 1885.
The restaurant and grocery
of D. J. BENEDICT was started by A. C. CAMPBELL in 1883. Mr. BENEDICT purchased
his stock and good will in February, 1885.
The manufacturing business
of greatest antiquity in Poultney is the widely known "Ruggles foundry."
The land on which the: foundry building; now stands was purchased by John
STANLEY from Jeremiah ADAMS soon after the flood of 1811, which bared the
rocks in the river in this; place, and developed the water-power here.
Suitable buildings being soon erected on this site, Mr. STANLEY commenced
manufacturing shearing-machines, and operated also a carding and cloth-dressing
factory here. After a few years he relinquished the manufacture of shearing-machines
to his sons Henry and Myron N. Henry STANLEY afterwards succeeded the firm,
and in 1828 added the foundry business. In 1829 a fire destroyed everything
but the foundry, which thereupon received the entire attention of Mr. STANLEY:
It became in a short time a stove manufactory of wide reputation. Henry
J. RUGGLES purchased the property in 1844, and continued the business until
the time of his death in May, 1869. From that time to 1878 his sons, Horace
M. and Henry, owned and managed the concern. Since the latter date Henry
RUGGLES has been sole proprietor. No stoves are made here now, the principal
product of the foundry being machinery of all kinds. Slate-sawing and planing-machines,
which were made here soon after 1850, are still a specialty. Mr. RUGGLES
has recently added steam power to the foundry. He employs from twenty-five
to thirty men.
The business of manufacturing
furniture here was established by George PEPPLER in 1852, who still continues
Harvey ROWE began the
manufacture of granite and marble monuments as early as 1865.
The origin of the business
of the MOSELEY & STODDARD Manufacturing Company dates back to about
1866, when F. W. MOSELEY, the inventor of Moseley's cabinet creamery, had
a shop near Hampton Bridge, in which he manufactured agricultural implements,
etc. The firm of MOSELEY & STODDARD was formed in 1872 for the purpose
of manufacturing agricultural implements and dealing in stoves and tinware,
and occupied the building now used by RANN & FRISBIE as a clothing
store. In 1874 they erected their present building and began to manufacture
dairy apparatus. The present stock company of the MOSELEY & STODDARD
Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1881 with a capital stock of
$40,000. The first officers were: F. W. MOSELY, president; M. O. Stoddard,
treasurer; Cyrus GATES, secretary; F. W. MOSELEY, M. O. STODDARD, Charles
RIPLEY, T. B. CLARK and Henry RUGGLES, directors. The present officers
are Henry RUGGLES, president; M. O. STODDARD, treasurer; Cyrus GATES, secretary;
Henry RUGGLES, M. G. STODDARD, Charles RIPLEY, T. B. CLARK and J. H. TAY,
directors. A full line of dairy apparatus, including the Moseley cabinet
creamery and the Stoddard churn are made here. From twenty-five to forty
men are employed. The company has survived a suit for infringement which
lasted from 1879 to 1882, and in which this company, as "defendant, was
The grist-mill of James
BULLOCK, at East Poultney, he erected in 1876. He grinds about a car load
and a half per month, in addition to his custom work.
J.W. RIPLEY commenced
making harnesses here in the spring of 1878.
The steam sawing and
planing-mills of RIPLEY & STANLEY were originally erected in 1854 by
BOSWORTH, COLVIN & BEALS, and were used in making doors, washes, blinds,
mouldings, etc. William BOSWORTH died in 1860; M. COLVIN left in 1866,
and the concern was sold to COPELAND & Co. After numerous changes in
ownership Charles RIPLEY and Theodore STANLEY acquired the property and
have since carried on the business under the firm name of Ripley &
Stanley. On July 2, 1878, and again on April 25, 1879, the mills were destroyed
by fire, and at once rebuilt. The slate-mill was added in 1883. They have
two quarries, employ in all about fifty men, and receive from sales about
The grist-mill of Solon
SHERMAN came into his hands in February, 1882, when he purchased it of
E. J. WILLIAMS. E. R. and R. MCGRATH, BULLOCK & BEACH, and James BULLOCK
have operated it in former times. It has a capacity for grinding about
five hundred bushels of corn daily.
In the spring of 1883
James B. CARRIGAN succeeded J. C. WILSON in the undertaking business, and
in 1884 began manufacturing furniture. He has had nearly twenty years experience
in both branches of his present business.
The more prominent of
the attorneys who have practiced in Poultney in the past have received
mention in Chapter XVII. Of those still in practice here, the one of longest
standing is John B. BEAMAN, who was born in Poultney on the 13th day of
September, 1819; was graduated from Union College in 1840, studied law
with Zimri HOWE, of Castleton, and E. L. ORMSBEE, of Rutland; was admitted
to the bar of Rutland county in the spring term of 1843, and opened an
office at once in Poultney. He has been associated with F. S. PLATT since
May 7, 1877.
Hon. Barnes FRISBIE was
born on the 23d of January, 1815, in Middletown, Vt.; he studied law in
the office of Caleb B. HARRINGTON, of Middletown, and was admitted to practice
in Rutland county in 1842. He practiced in Middletown until 1863, when
he came to Poultney. For further particulars concerning his life, see the
biographical sketch which appears in a subsequent page.
Elijah ROSS was born
in Shrewsbury, Vt., in 18 19. He studied law with C. B. HARRINGTON in Middletown,
and was admitted in September, 1845. He practiced nine years in Middletown
and one in Wells. In 1867 he came to Poultney and has engaged in the practice
of law and in the nursery business since that time.
F.S. PLATT was born September
9, 1853, at Enosburg, Vt. He studied law in the office of ORMSBEE &
BRIGGS, of Brandon, and was admitted at the March term of the County Court
in 1877. On the 7th of May of the same year he entered into partnership
with John B. BEAMAN, of Poultney.
William H. ROWLAND was
born in Fairhaven, Vt., December 5, 1854; studied law with George M. FULLER,
of Fairhaven, and John B. BEAMAN, of Poultney. Since his admission in the
fall of 1878, he has practiced in Poultney.
E.S. MILLER was born
on the 11th of May, 1854, in Hampton, N. Y.; studied law with John B. BEAMAN
at first and concluded with C. B. & C. F. EDDY, of Bellows Falls, Vt,
he was admitted to practice in Windsor county in September, 1878, and came
to Poultney in March, 1878, as partner of the firm of FRISBIE & MILLER.
The early physicians
of Poultney and the rest of the county having received sketches in a former
chapter, we will here confine ourselves to brief notices of those now in
practice. Dr. George L. BLISS was born on the 23d of December, 1818, at
Castleton, Vt., and was graduated from the Castleton Medical College in
the fall of 1844. He came to Poultney oil January 14, 1848, the intervening
period being passed in practice in Hydeville, and in attending lectures
in the northern part of the State.
Dr. L. D. ROSS was born
in Poultney on the 4th of July, 1828. He was graduated from Castleton Medical
College in 1857; practiced in East Poultney until 1861; was surgeon in
the Rebellion two years; practiced the next three and a half years in Benson,
Vt., and resumed his practice in this town (west village) in the spring
of 1869. He was graduated from Middlebury College in 1851.
Dr. A. E. HORTON, East
Poultney, was born in Mount Holly, Vt., June 9, 1835. He was graduated
in the spring of 1858, from the medical department of the.University of
Vermont. He practiced six years in Shrewsbury and came here in the fall
Dr. J. KNOWLSON was born
in Troy, N. Y., on the 31st of March, 1836. He received his medical education
in the New York City College of Physicians and Surgeons, and at the Castleton
Medical College, being graduated from the latter in 1857. He also became
a graduate of Williams College in 1855. He practiced two years in Troy;
in Omaha, Neb., as surgeon of the Union Pacific railroad three years, and
was also in United States service as a surgeon; in 1871-75, in Granville,
N. Y., whence he came to Poultney in 1875.
Dr. E. D. ELLIS was born
in Fairhaven, Vt., August 3, 185o, was graduated from the medical department
of Harvard University in June, 1877, and came in 1878 to Poultney to practice.
Dr. A. B BIXBY was born
in Mount Holly, Vt., on the 26th of June, 1834;received his medical education
at Castleton and at the Bellevue Hospital, New York; graduating from the
former college in 1858. He practiced in Londonderry, Vt., until 1883 (except
two years when he was surgeon in the army), when he came to Poultney.
Dr. S. L. Ward was born
October 6, 1828, in Hampton, N. Y.; he commenced the practice of dentistry
here in 1867.
Poultney has been singularly
gifted with material for an interesting paragraph in the history of its
press. East Poultney, as is well known, was the early home and workshop
of Horace GREELEY. The Northern Spectator, with which he was connected,
started in East Poultney in 1822 (in November) under the name of Poultney
Gazette. Sanford SMITH and John R. SHUTE were editors and proprietors.
The first issue of the paper under its new name was in January, 1825. On
December 28, 1825, SMITH & SHUTE published their valedictory and sold
their interest to a company for which D. DEWEY and A. BLISS were agents.
E. G. STONE soon succeeded them in the agency. In January, 1830, the paper
was discontinued. The first publications of the Gazette were in the building
now owned by Stephen SCOTT, but early in 1823 it was removed into the building
now occupied by Zebediah DEWEY, which had been erected by Stephen W. DANA.
Horace GREELEY, though
born in New Hampshire, moved with his father to Westhaven in 1811. He secured
a position in the Spectator office in 1826, and remained there four years
and two months, when the paper was discontinued, and Horace took his remarkable
journey to Erie, Pennsylvania.
The Owl, was the name
of a paper published a few months in 1867 by James H. Lansley.
The next paper published
here was the Poultney Bulletin, the first number of which was issued March
the 12th, 1868, with John NEWMAN, D. D., editor, George C. NEWMAN, assistant
editor, and J. A. NORRIS, publisher. In September, 1870, H. L. STILLSON
and William HASWELL purchased this property; in August, 1871, HASWELL succeeded
STILLSON and continued the publication until November, 1873. In December,
1873, R. J. HUMPHREY bought the Bulletin office and on the 19th of that
month the first number of the Poultney Journal was issued BY FRISBIE
& HUMPHREY, publishers, and B. FRISBIE, editor. Three years later HUMPHREY
sold out to Barnes FRISBIE and J. H. HAYLES. In 1879 E. V. ROSS succeeded
HAYLES. In the spring of 1881 C. W. POTTER succeeded: to FRISBIE's interest
and in a few weeks acquired the entire property. In about eleven months
he sold to R. J. HUMPHREY, the present publisher and editor: The Poultney
Journal is a four paged, 26x40 paper with eight columns in a page; is independent
in politics, with a leaning towards the Democratic party An extensive job
department has been developed and steam power added to the old fashioned
hand-press used in the beginning.
The First National Bank
of Poultney was organized in July, 1881, with a capital of $50,000. The
first and present officers are, J. B. BEAMAN, president; Leonidas GRAY,
of Middletown, vice-president; M. D. COLE, cashier. There are now thirty-three
stockholders in the concern.
Post routes were established
in Vermont soon after the close of the Revolutionary War, and in 1783 Anthony
HASWELL, of Bennington, was appointed postmaster of Vermont. In 1791, when
Vermont was admitted to the Union, the general government appointed David
RUSSELL postmaster of Vermont. It seems probable that a post-office was
established in Poultney in January, 1799, with John STANLEY postmaster.
Timothy CRITTENDEN succeeded STANLEY, and was followed, February 10, 1809,
by Daniel SPRAGUE. Daniel MALLARY was appointed in 1815. Henry STANLEY
resigned the position in August, 1824, and in the following month the office
was changed to West Poultney. The following postmasters have officiated
since 1836: Samuel P. HOOKER from 1836 to 1841; Isaac LEFFINGWELL from
1841 to 1842; James RICHARDSON from 1842 to 1845; Samuel P. HOOKER from
1845 to 1849; John B. BEAMAN from 1849 to 1853; Henry CLARK from 1853 to
1860, and Merritt CLARK from t 860 to 1877, when Henry T. HULL was appointed.
The present postmaster, R. J. HUMPHREY, was appointed December 21, 1885.
The name of the office at the west village was changed back to Poultney
September 28, 1857.
The post-office was established
at East Poultney under the name of Poultney, on the 4th of August, 1824,
and Stephen W. DANA was appointed postmaster. The following have been postmasters
since his retirement in 1827; Daniel MALLARY from 1827 to 1829; Harris
HOSFORD from 1829 to 1832; William WHEELER from 1832 to 1834; Simeon MEARS
from 1834 to 1840; William M BOSWORTH from 1840 to 1841; James P. HARRIS
from 1841 to 1846; Willlam MCLEOD from 1846 to 1849; Paul M. ROSS from
1849 to 1853; J. C. DERBY from 1853 to 1861; and Edwin S. DEWEY since then.
The name of the office was changed to East Poultney in 1857.
of Rutland County Vermont with Illustrations And Biographical Sketches
of Some of Its Prominent Men And Pioneers
by H. Y. Smith & W. S. Rann, Syracuse, N. Y.
Mason & Co., Publishers 1886
Of The Town Of Poultney.
by Karima, 2002
History of the Town of Poultney, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82
Business Directory of the Town of Poultney, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82