Search billions of records on





THE town of Poultney is situated on the western border of Rutland county, and is bounded on the north by Castleton ; on the east by Ira and Middletown; on the south by Wells and on the west by Hampton, N. 'Y., and a portion of Fairhaven. It was chartered by Benning WENTWORTH September 21, 1761, and contained an area of 23,040 acres. On the 28th of October, 1784, 2,388 acres were taken from Poultney towards the formation of Middletown, and on the 31st of October, 1798, 5,543 acres were added to Poultney from the north part of Wells.

      The surface presents a pleasing variety of hill and valley, the highest elevation being Spruce Knob in the east, and Mount St. Catharine in the south. Poultney River, the largest stream, rises in Tinmouth, enters Poultney from Middletown, flows westerly through the town, and, forming the boundary between Fairhaven and Hampton, and Westhaven and Whitehall, enters Lake Champlain. Lake St. Catharine, or Lake Austin, is a beautiful body of water extending from the center of Wells to near the center of Poultney. The soil along Poultney River is generally warm and productive. The timber is principally deciduous, though the site of East Poultney was originally covered with a dense growth of pine and hemlock. The origin of the name Poultney is not certainly traced, though it has been suggested that it was derived from an English lord of that name, who was a friend of Benning Wentworth. The town was organized on the 8th of March, 1775, by the election of the following officers: Zebulon RICHARDS, moderator; Heber ALLEN, town clerk; Nehemiah HOWE, Zebulon RICHARDS and Cotton FLETCHER, selectmen; Isaac ASHLEY, constable; John ASHLEY, tithingman; Josiah LEWIS, Thomas ASHLEY and Ebenezer HYDE, surveyors of highways, and the selectmen, with Thomas ASHLEY and Ebenezer HYDE, committee for laying out highways.

      The early settlement of Poultney did not differ widely in manner from that of all the Vermont towns, excepting that the wealth and promise of its thickly wooded hills and valleys were a tempting bait which the cupidity of the New York land jobbers could not resist.

      Owing to this land controversy the early settlers came in more slowly here than elsewhere and were "men of bold, fearless spirit, athletic and firm constitutions," and were, without exception, poor. Ebenezer ALLEN and Thomas ASHLEY, the first who settled in town, reached here on the 15th of April, 1771, and erected their shanties about twenty rods south of where the turnpike bridge now is in the west village, "Allen a little west and Ashley a little east.” ALLEN brought his family with him, and had a son born the same year, the first white child born in Poultney. ASHLEY did not return for his family until he had finished his shanty and planted corn sufficient for the support of his family of seven. He remained on the same farm until the time of his death in 1810. ALLEN removed in a few years to Grand Isle.

      These two families were followed the same season by Elijah and John OWEN, Isaac ASHLEY and Nehemiah HOWE, and soon after by the following persons, nearly in the order named: Ichabod and Joseph MARSHALL, Silas HOWE, Heber ALLEN (brother to Ethan Allen), John GRANT, Thomas GOODWIN, Robert GREEN, Zebediah DEWEY, Cotton FLETCHER, John, Elkana, Elisha, Enoch and William ASHLEY (brothers of Thomas and Isaac), John TILDEN, Zebediah, Dan and John RICHARDS, William WARD, Timothy, Ebenezer, James and Lemuel HYDE, Samuel CHURCH, Joel GRANNIS, Isaac CRAW, Nathaniel and James SMITH, Mordecai and Gilbert SLOPER, James and Nathaniel BROOKINS, Josiah LEWIS and a few others before the arrival of Burgoyne's army and his Indian allies in July, 1777, when all the inhabitants were forced to flee. As has been truly said, these men were all "the Ethan Allen stamp of men." Some of them were related by blood and marriage to the redoubtable leader of the Green Mountain Boys, and all of them were certainly his personal acquaintances. Several of them were present at the capture of Ticonderoga. 

      When Burgoyne came up Lake Champlain the domestic occupations of the inhabitants throughout this part of the State were for a time rudely interrupted. The men were called upon to fight and the women to attend to those charitable duties which are given to them alone, in such crises, to perform. The battle of Hubbardton was fought on the 7th of July, 1777, and on the following day the women and children of Poultney, being apprized of the repulse of the patriots, hastily collected their portable effects and retreated to Bennington, thence to Pownal, and after the battle of Bennington, to their former homes in Massachusetts and Connecticut. The following are the names of the thirteen heroic women who took part in this retreat: The wives of William WARD, Thomas ASHLEY, Ichabod MARSHALL, Joseph MARSHALL, Dan RICHARDS (afterward Mrs. Lindsey JOSLIN), John RICHARDS, Timothy HYDE (afterwards Mrs. Abner ADAMS), Zebediah DEWEY, Silas HOWE, Nathaniel SMITH, the widow of Isaac ASHLEY (afterwards Mrs. Joseph RANN, grandmother of Charles A. RANN, now residing in Poultney), Nehemiah HOWE and Josiah LEWIS. Most or all these women returned with their children within the following year, and were not, so far as can be learned, again molested by foreign foes.

      Among others who came here in the year 1771, Ebenezer ALLEN, who has already been mentioned, was one of the most prominent. He was an officer in the Revolutionary War, and a member of one, at least, of the early conventions. He was a man of advanced humanity and sympathies, and showed his fidelity to his convictions by liberating two slaves on the ground that he was "conscientious that it is not right in the sight of God to keep slaves."

      Thomas ASHLEY, already mentioned, was followed the same year of his arrival, by his six brothers, Isaac, John, Elkana, Elisha, Enoch and William, all of whom were prominent in the early councils of the town. Isaac ASHLEY died in April, 1777. His son, Elisha ASHLEY, was for many years after his attaining maturity a prominent man in Poultney.

      Josiah LEWIS, of Connecticut, came here in 1771, and settled on the east part of what is now the farm of his great-grandson, Mark LEWIS. He was a soldier of the Revolution and participated in the battle of Hubbardton, and the capture of Ticonderoga. His wife, nee Molly COLE, rendered valuable service for the Americans in carrying general news, and received therefor one hundred
and sixty acres of land, situated near the present farm of Franklin THOMPSON. He died before the year 1800. The farm has always remained in the family. "Heber ALLEN was one of the seven ALLEN brothers, of whom the most distinguished was Colonel Ethan ALLEN." He must have been here as early as 1772.  He built his dwelling-house near the site now occupied by the "Pine Tree House," between the two villages. Some traces of his cellar are still faintly perceptible there. He was a major in the Revolution, was the first town clerk of Poultney, and, until his death in April, 1782, and was a judge of the County Court (1778) when Rutland was only a shire of Cumberland county.

      Nehemiah Howe came to Poultney from New Marlborough, Mass., in 1772, and died in April, 1777. He owned the land about where the Congregational Church and cemetery now are in the east village. His paternal ancestor four generations back was the first white settler in Marlborough, Mass. He was said to be descended from a relative of Lord HOWE, of Warwickshire, England. Descendants of Nehemiah HOWE are still numerous in the town and vicinity.

      Zebediah DEWEY came to Poultney from Tyringham, Mass., in about 1772, and located on the site now covered by BEAMAN's Hotel, but afterwards removed to the head of Hampshire Hollow, on a tract of land now comprising, the farms of Timothy HALEY and Dwight SMITH. He was a great sportsman and hunter. He is said to have been the first captain of militia in Poultney, and obtained his title of major from the efficient service which he rendered in the battle of Hubbardton. His youngest son, Dr. David DEWEY, was afterwards a man of prominence in Poultney, and the inventor, it is claimed, of the first sheep-shearing machine ever patented in the country.

      About this period Timothy HYDE and his brothers, James, Lemuel and Ebenezer, came from Connecticut and settled in the vicinity of the Pomeroy WELLS estate. N. C. HYDE, a descendant of Ebenezer, now owns a part of the old homestead. Ebenezer HYDE was the progenitor of the HYDEs now in town. Samuel HYDE, a son of Ebenezer, kept a public house for many years on the farm now forming a part of the Pomeroy WELLS estate.

      Ichabod MARSHALL arrived in town in December, 1772, from Massachusetts was born in New Marlboro, Mass., in 1741, was married in 1760, and brought six children with him to Poultney, coming through the unbroken forest for over sixty miles, with only one horse to carry Mrs. MARSHALL, "a feather bed, two infant children, and all the furniture the family had for keeping house." The rest of the family walked and drove one cow before them. They settled on the tract of land now occupied by Mrs. Martha MARSHALL, which has ever remained in the possession of the family. Ichabod MARSHALL was killed by the wheel of his own wagon while returning from a trip to Troy. Joseph MARSHALL, his brother, came to Poultney in 1772, and located about a mile north of the HOPSON Place, on a road now discontinued, that led from the main road between the two villages.

      Zebulon RICHARDS came to Poultney in 1773, and located on the farm now occupied by Michael LYNCH. One of his two sons, John, settled on the place now occupied by Mrs. STEVENS, and the other, Daniel, on the JOSLIN farm, so called. Salmon RICHARDS, grandson of John RICHARDS, lives in Poultney now, at the ripe old age of eighty-six years. The widow of Daniel RICHARDS afterwards became the wife of Lindsey JOSLIN, and suffered terrible privations when driven from Poultney with her twelve associates in 1777.

      James and Nathaniel SMITH, brothers, must have arrived in Poultney about the year 1773 or 1774, and lived in the north part of the town.

      Thomas HOOKER, a worthy descendant of the Thomas Hooker who was one of the original proprietors of the town of Cambridge, Mass., came to Poultney about the year 1775, and settled on the HOOKER farm in the north part of the town. He soon removed to Finel Hollow, and after a residence there of sixteen years, returned to the place of his original settlement. His father, James HOOKER, came here about 1779, and settled in Finel Hollow. Besides Thomas five other children of James, viz.: James, Samuel, Sarah, David and Josiah, resided in town a short time. Their descendants, scattered over a wide area, have achieved prominence in many places and callings.

      William WARD came from New Marlboro, Mass., to Poultney in November, 1775, and located in Finel Hollow oil the farm still occupied by Mrs. C. P. WARD, it having never left the family. He was a member of the convention that framed the State Constitution, was for six years one of the judges of the Rutland County Court, was the first judge of probate for the district of Fairhaven, and retained the office twenty-two years; was forty years justice of the peace, and was the first town representative for a number of years.

      The Revolutionary struggle, being at this tine full upon the country, prevented active settlement, especially on a frontier so exposed as Western Vermont. No settlement, therefore, dating in 1776, has been discovered. Soon after Burgoyne's surrender, however, in 1777, Phineas PIERCE established himself in a gambrel-roofed house of his own building, a few rods east of the site of the brick house now occupied by James HOPPER, on the bank of Finel Hollow Brook. He worked in the forge built by the Joslins.

      In 1778 Joseph RANN, who was born in Salisbury, N. H., in 1752, arrived in Poultney, and settled on the farm now owned and occupied by R. R. THRALL. He was followed at different periods by others from his native State, who gave the name of Hampshire Hollow to the vicinity of their settlement. He served in the Revolutionary War, was wounded in the battle of Bunker Hill by a ball which he carried in his ankle to his grave; was afterwards taken prisoner, and confined in a prison ship near New York for several months. He effected his escape by jumping overboard and swimming some distance ashore. He attended the Congregational Church here and was chorister while Rev. Ithamer HIBBARD was pastor. He married Olive, daughter of Nehemiah HOWE, and widow of Isaac ASHLEY, by whom he had six children, Anta, Silbey, Salvator, Alpha, Arithusa, and Lavina. Of the daughters Ansa married John PAGE; Silbey married Leonard DOUGHTY; Arithusa married John RANSFORD, and Laviinia married Erastus BIGELOW, all of whom resided in Essex county, N. Y., and left a numerous posterity. Alpha, or Alfred, went to Western New York, married a Minerva TRASK, and had two sons, one of whom now publishes a paper in Manchester, Ia., and the other died in Whitewater, Wis., in 1870, where he was publishing the Whitewater Register. Salvator remained in Poultney, married Chloe, daughter of Elisha SCOTT, and had four sons and four daughters. Charles A. Rann, of Poultney, Mrs. Joseph Fuller, of Clarendon, and Horace RANN, of Spencerport, N. Y., are the only children left. Charles A. RANN was a commissioned officer in the Rebellion, was representative of Poultney in 1863 and 1864, and senator in 1878. He was born May 23, 1823, was married to Sarah BROWN, January 2, 1849. His only living child, H. C. RANN, was born January 15, 1860.

      Joel FRISBIE, the first of the name in Poultney, came, it is thought, with Rev. Ithamer HIBBARD, in 1780. He went to Middletown in 1786.

      Three brothers, Reuben, Aaron and Isaac Hosford, came to Poultney about! 1780, the first named settling on the farm now owned by Hiel ANGEVINE, and the other on the tract now comprising the farm of Peter LAUNDRY. Descendants of Reuben are still living here and elsewhere. Joseph MORSE also came in 1780 from Litchfield, Conn., and located in the east part of the town, in the place since called Morse Hollow. Joseph F. MORSE, of East Poultney, is his grandson. A brother of Joseph, sr., named Solomon, came in 1780 and went to Pennsylvania about the year 1800.

      William PRESTON, already an old man, came to Poultney from Litchfield, Conn., as early as 1781, and died here in April, 1815, at the age of one hundred years lacking twenty days. John PRESTON, a son of William, came here about the same time.

      John RANSOM came from Canaan, Conn., the same year (1781) and located on the farm now owned by E. D. ANDRUS; married Sarah Roberts WHITNEY, and died in August, 1811, leaving three children, Lemuel, John and David. Caroline, a daughter of David, still resides in Poultney.

     Stephen de MARANVILLE, youngest son of Louis de MARANVILLE, of noble lineage, came to Poultney from Dartmouth, Mass.; via Pawlet, in 1782 and settled on the farm now occupied by Frank GATES, then called "Maranville Hill." He was a "minute man" in the Revolution. He died September 26, 1828.

      Dan POND, the "patriarch," was born in 1726 at Branford, Conn., came from Stockbridge, Mass., to Poultney in 1782, settling, with a portion of his family, on "Pond Hill." He had fifteen children, thirteen sons and two daughters, all but one of whom lived to have families. Most of the sons were Revolutionary soldiers, and came to Poultney with their father. Abel POND, a few years after he came, settled on "Poultney Flats." He took an active part in the Revolutionary struggle. Of sixty members of this once prominent and numerous family, not one is left in Poultney bearing the name.

      The year 1783, being the closing year of the Revolution, witnessed the immigration of a number of families, many of whom have descendants in town now. Some of the following may not have reached here until 1784: 

      Elijah AMES settled in what has since been entitled "Ames Hollow," near Bird Mountain. His brother Zebulon came about the same time and resided near him, but in Ira. Jeremiah ARMSTRONG, of Connecticut, settled near Elijah AMES about this time, and became one of the most influential men of the town. He died about 1842. 

      William BUCKLAND, a Revolutionary soldier from Hartford, Conn., came in 1783 and purchased his farm of Elkanah ASHLEY, it being the same land now occupied by his grandson, Augustus BUCKLAND. They were an ancient family in Connecticut. The grandfather of Augustus BUCKLAND's mother, John BARRETT, was a tried soldier in the French and Indian War. Some years before 1796 he came from his home in Connecticut, and passed the remainder of his days, until his ninety-fourth year, with his daughter. He died June 9, 1796. 

      Solomon CLEVELAND settled on the Cleveland farm, now owned and occupied by William QUINN. He afterwards removed to Hydeville. It is not known that any of his descendants are living.

      About this period came from Massachusetts Seymour and Timothy Crittenden, and settled, the former on the farm now occupied by Frank FRENCH, and the latter on the present Troy Conference Academy grounds, his house standing near the sidewalk in front of the academy. Seymour was a prominent member of the Congregational Church, and a Democrat. Among his descendants may be named his grandson, Henry H. CRITTENDEN, a resident of Poultney. Timothy CRITTENDEN sold his farm to Dr. James WITHERELL in 1810 and went west. He represented the town in 1802-03.

      Joshua DYE, a native of Kent, Conn., moved to Poultney soon after the close of the Revolutionary War, and located in Ames Hollow, on the farm now occupied by Patrick Kennedy. He was drowned in Poultney River in 1826. Some of his descendants now live in town.

      Edward Finel, a sergeant-major of the Revolution, settled soon after its close in the "Hollow" that now bears his name, and on the farm now occupied by Nathaniel CARLTON. He had five sons and five daughters. Although he has descendants residing in town, there are none that bear the family name. 

      James and Ebenezer FRISBIE, two of four brothers, were in town as early as 1783, the former settling in the east part of the town on the road to Middletown, and the latter on the tract of land occupied ten years ago by Abner LEWIS.

      James, Seth and Jared GORHAM came from Kent, Conn., about 1783, and settled (in the order of their naming) at Gorhamtown, Pond Hill and south of Ames Hollow. They were three of seven brothers, four of whom, John, James, Seth and Wakeman, with their father, served in the Revolutionary War. Descendants of James are in Poultney yet.

      Thaddeus HICKOK, of Washington, Litchfield county, Conn., came to Poultney soon after the close of the Revolutionary War, and settled on the tract of land now owned and occupied by L. C. SPAULDING. He was a soldier of the Revolutionary War. Simeon HICKOK, his brother, came at the same time and located on the place where Rodney ROWELL now lives. His son, Colonel Russel HICKOK, was formerly engaged in the foundry business here.

      Lindsey JOSSELYN, or, according to modern spelling, JOSLIN, born August 12, 1749, in eastern Massachusetts, moved early to Sheffield, Mass., and soon after the close of the War of the Revolution, in company with his brother Samuel, came to Poultney; they erected a forge half a mile east of Poultney, on the "Todd place." Jabez and Joseph, brothers also, the former a tailor and the latter a blacksmith, came soon after. Lindsey Joslin assisted in the capture of Burgoyne. He died August 12, 1826. John Jay JOSLIN, a descendant, was formerly a merchant here and erected the stone block now occupied by John DEANE and others. Descendants of Lindsey JOSLIN still live in town. 

      Captain Daniel MANNING, a cooper, and a soldier who fought in the battles of Bunker Hill, on Long Island, Trenton, Princeton, Monmouth and Yorktown, came here in 1783 and settled on a farm about a mile northeast of Poultney, which he bought of James SMITH. He afterwards lived on the farm now occupied by Noah FENTON, which he bought of Deacon Silas HOWE.

      Joel SMITH settled at this time in the east part of the town. He died at the time of the epidemic in 1813. Descendants still reside in East Poultney.

      Enos WELLS settled soon after the Revolutionary War on what now forms a part of Asahel SMITH's estate. He died early in the century. 

      Ebenezer CANFIELD, soon after the Revolutionary War, built a gambrel-roofed house south of the highway on the knoll east of the old cemetery in East Poultney, and for some years operated a grist-mill there, some traces which are still visible. He went to Ohio and died there.

      In the spring of 1784 Bazaleel FARNUM, a soldier of the first war with Great Britain, came here from Salisbury, Conn., and settled upon sixty acres of land which he had purchased nine years before, being the same place now occupied by his great-grandson, William L. FARNUM, jr. He died April 9, 1831, at the age of seventy-two years. His eldest son, William Lee FARNUM, became a prominent man in the councils of the town. Besides the various town offices to which he was elected, he represented Poultney in the Legislature in the years 1832-33, 1837 and 1854. He died March to, 1873.

      Michael BROUGHTON, and his brothers Samuel and John, settled in 1786 on tracts of land included in the strip which was annexed to Poultney in October, 1798. They were extensive land owners, and their descendants, especially the descendants of John BROUGHTON, became leading members of the Baptist Church in Poultney. Many of their descendants live now within a short distance from town.

      Edmund LAMSON, a blacksmith, came from Suffield, Conn., in 1786, worked a short time for Deacon Silas HOWE, and in 1787 bought a lot opposite the cemetery in the east village, and erected a house there which is still standing. The farm is now in the hands of two of his grandsons, W. B. and H. G. PRINDLE.

      Calvin MALLARY, a brother of Daniel MALLARY, sen., hereafter mentioned, settled in 1786 on a farm about two miles south of East Poultney, now owned by his grandson, Elisha MALLARY. He was a prominent member of the Baptist Church. His son, Calvin, jr., passed his life on the homestead.

      Elias and Ichabod BABCOCK came from Canaan, Conn., in 1788. The former located in Finel Hollow. He did the stone work on the present Congregational house of worship. He died in 1836. Descendants of his are still living in the county. Ichabod pursued his calling, that of a hatter, in the west village. He died in 1846.

      Jonas MEARS settled in Poultney not far from 1790, and raised quite a family, descendants of whom are still residents of the town. Simeon MEARS, jr., grand-son of John MEARS, and a man of ability, was for some time a merchant here and associated with Colonel HICKOK in the foundry.

      Samuel FIFIELD immigrated to Poultney about 1791 or '92, and located on Pond Hill. He was the father of eight children, of whom the first two died in infancy. Descendants of the others are now living in town.

      Hon. John STANLEY, with his parents and three children, came to Poultney from Canaan, Conn., in 1791, and settled in a house on the site now covered by the dwelling-house of Mrs. John CLARK. He kept store in one part of this building. About 1794 he purchased and resided in a house which occupied the present site of Beaman's Hotel, and erected a building for a store on the opposite side of the street. In 1816 he erected the brick house now occupied .by Mrs. Jonas CLARK. He was judge of probate for the district of Fairhaven from 1824 to 1829 inclusive. He was a man of energy and business enterprise and of public spirit. Of his seven children, Henry Stanley was the most intimately associated with Poultney interests. He erected the Ruggles foundry, the Poultney House, and the dwelling house so long occupied by Deacon JOSLIN. He was in the State Senate in 1847-48, and contributed to the inauguration of some of the most important interests of the town. He removed some years ago to Brooklyn, N. Y.

      Amos FRISBIE, born in Bethlehem, Conn., December 9, 1769, came to Poultney on the last day of November, 1792, purchased the farm now occupied by Joseph W, CLARK, and remained there until he died on the 13th of March, 1826. He was a man of good influence and reputation, held several important offices in town, and was sincerely devoted to the welfare of the Congregational society. He married twice, his second wife, daughter of William LOCKETT and widow of Dr. William COPMAN, bearing him three children, viz., Mary, who is the wife of James P. HARRIS, James S., now the partner of H. Clarence RANN in the clothing business, and Emma, wife of Chauncey EDGERTON. Calvin FRISBIE came to Poultney with his brother Amos, and some time after his brothers, James and Ebenezer, already mentioned, arrived. He died young, and although he left descendants, they have all gone from Vermont.

      Daniel MALLARY, born in 1758, removed from Cheshire, Conn., to Poultney in 1794. He settled first on the place now occupied by Mrs. Mary HOSFORD, daughter of Deacon WEBSTER ("Webster place"), and afterwards he resided in the house now occupied by the widow of John GIBSON, and later still, for twenty years, on the farm now owned by A. M. KNAPP. He passed his later years in the house now occupied by Andrew CLARK in the village. He had seven children, of whom the eldest, Rollin C. MALLARY, rose to distinction as a lawyer and member of Congress (see Chapter XXVII). He owned and occupied the place where Charles W. POTTER now lives.

      Jonathan MORGAN, born in Simsbury, Conn., February 15, 1779, came to Poultney with his father, Jonathan, in 1795, and settled on the farm now owned and occupied by his sons Isaac H. and J. Allen MORGAN. He built three saw- mills on Poultney River, which intersected his farm, and operated two of them as long as he lived. He died March 22, 1859. His descendants are numerous.

      Thomas TODD, the pioneer of the woolen manufacture in Poultney, came as early as 1705. He owned the house and farm now owned by James HOPPER. The old mill is now used by Henry SHAW in the manufacture of cider. Thomas TODD passed the last few years of his life on the farm of his second wife in Hampton.

      Noah WELLS came about 1795 from Colchester, Conn., and lived for a time with his uncle, Enos WELLS. In 1805 he bought the farm on which are the Gibson and Schenectady slate quarries, now owned by George GIBSON. In 1822 he moved on to the "Sam Hyde" farm where, on the 27th of May, 1828, he died.

      Elijah D. WEBSTER settled about 1795 on the farm now occupied by his daughter, Mrs. Mary HOSFORD, two miles south of East Poultney. He was one of the first members of the Baptist Church and acted as deacon for years. He died July 17, 1823.

      Anthony ANGEVINE, who came to Poultney in 1797, settled on the farm now occupied by Henry W. CRITTENDEN. After a few years he removed to Mendon, N. Y., where he died. Some of his descendants, however, still reside in Poultney.

      Peter SCRIBNER, a substantial, well-to-do farmer, located as early as 1797 on what is now the town farm in Hampshire Hollow. His mother was a sister of Joseph RANN. He died July 28, 1856, aged eighty-seven years; some of his descendants still survive.

      Daniel SPRAGUE, a blacksmith, came to Poultney from Salisbury, Conn., in 1798 and settled in the west village at the place now owned by the widow of John LEWIS. He was one of the early postmasters here, and held other important offices of trust. He died June 2, 1853.

      Samuel WOOD came to this town from Connecticut about 1798, when he was about forty years of age, and located in the north part of the town on the farm now owned by Mr. Carpenter.

      Benjamin FARWELL, born in Groton, Mass., on the 2d day of July, 1756. He took part in the battle of Bunker Hill, under Colonel PRESCOTT, and came to Poultney in 1799, locating on Pond Hill. Some of his descendants now reside in Poultney, and trace their lineage back to Henry FARWELL, who lived in the seventeenth century at Concord, Mass.
Hiram KILBURN was born July 7, 1799, in Poultney, his father, Abraham KILBURN having come here from Litchfield, Conn., some years before. Abraham KILBURN died in 1806. Hiram was killed by the cars October 21, 1867, while on duty as agent at the station at Poultney. He held for years the office of deacon of the Congregational Church, and left descendants who still survive, among them being Mrs. William FARNUM and Albert KILBURN.

      Among other arrivals at about this period were Ebenezer SMITH, who lived and died in the house now occupied by Joseph WADE, on Beaman street; David THOMPSON of Goshen, Conn., who lived where M. W. BLISS now resides, and whose eldest son, Amos, represented Poultney in the State Legislature from 1804 to 1807 inclusive, and in 1813, 14 and 16; was one of the assistant-judges of the Rutland County Court from 1809 to 1820 inclusive, and chief judge from 1821 to 1824; Boardwell WATKINS, who settled on the farm now owned and occupied by John DRISCOLL; Roswell ANDRUS, from Shaftsbury, who located on the farm now occupied by W. W. MARTIN; Benjamin GIDDINGS, who settled on the farm now occupied by Calvin INMAN, and Solomon GIDDINGS, his nephew, both of whom have left a numerous posterity; Daniel PARSONS, who kept tavern several years in the house now owned by Stephen SCOTT, afterwards known as the Neal House, in the rear part of which he and Salvator RANN for some time kept store; Captain Royal PEASE, faint traces of whose house are still visible near the cemetery in Finel Hollow on land of C. P. AUSTIN. Albert Pease, his son, still lives in town.

      Captain William WATSON, a soldier of the Revolution and a man of brilliant parts, but during the later years of his life, intemperate, was the author of the familiar witicism in the form of a toast given at a 4th of July celebration in Poultneyabout 1810: "The enemies of our country, may they have cobweb breeches, porcupine saddle, a hard trotting horse, and an eternal journey."

      Abel PARKER, an early settler, succeeded Nehemiah HOWE in the grist-mill at East Poultney, and was a large land owner in his day. Carlos PARKER and Mrs. Charles W. POTTER are his descendants.

      Seth RUGGLES, a non-commissioned officer of the Revolution, and a minute man, who served about three years in all, was born in Hardwick, Worcester county, Mass., on the 7th of January, 1757. He came to Poultney with his wife and five children, in 1804, and located on the place now owned by J. A. BENEDICT, about one mile north from East Poultney. He died March 28, 1846. He was thrice married, and all the descendants now living are from his third wife, Susannah JENKS. His eldest son, Seth, succeeded Mr. STANLEY in the ownership and management of the foundry now owned by Henry J. RUGGLES, his son. (A further account of this interest appears in a subsequent page.)

      Elisha SCOTT came from Tolman, Conn., in 1804, under contract to build the Baptist Church in the east village, which he did in the following year. He lived on the farm now owned by D. A. SMITH; one of his three daughters married Salvator RANN, and another Calvin MALLARY. The only one of his children now in Poultney is Stephen, who was in earlier years a tanner and currier. 

      Hon. Merritt CLARK, whose son Henry CLARK is the editor of this work, was born in Middletown, Vt., February 11, 1803. His father was General James CLARK, well known throughout the State as a lawyer of great ability. Merritt CLARK was graduated from the Rutland County Grammar School, and, in 1823, from Middlebury College. He and his brother Horace then engaged until 1841 in the mercantile business in Middletown. In 1841, when the Poultney Bank was established he was made its cashier, and was connected with it during its entire history. He was president of the Rutland and Washington railroad from its incorporation in 1847, until it was completed to Albany. He was chiefly instrumental in the restoration of the Troy Conference Academy in 1848. Henry CLARK, of Rutland, and Edward CLARK, of Poultney, are his g only children.


      The industries of Poultney prior to 1800 were few in number, and for the most part of little importance beyond the limits of the town. Saw-mills and,grist-mills abounded, for people demanded lumber for their dwellings and flourfor their daily sustenance. There were at one time six saw-mills in town on Poultney River. One was erected and operated by Jonathan MORGAN, near where his sons, Isaac H. and J. Allen MORGAN now reside. Another further down stream, near the former residence of the late Harlow HOSFORD; a third at the falls in the east village, operated by Abel PARKER, and later by Joseph MORSE; a fourth, operated by Deacon Silas HOWE, at what has since been called the candlestick-factory premises, between the two villages; one by Fay HYDE (in 1813) across the river from the site of the RUGGLES foundry, and one at Hampton Bridge, formerly known as Norton's mills. There were, quite early, two saw-mills in the southeast part of the town on Endless Brook, which flows into Lake St. Catharine, and two in the southwest part of the town, on Hadaway Brook. There were also two on Lewis Brook in the north part of the town, one built by John LEWIS and the other by Colonel John RANSOM, the mill of Harrison SMITH being a continuation of the latter.

      Five grist-mills had been built in town prior to 1800. Jonathan MORGAN operated one near his saw-mill; there was one at the TODD place a half mile east of the east village; one at East POULTNEY, built about 1773, by Nehemiah HOWE, and the first one in town; one near the saw-mill at the candlestick-factory place, and one at Hampton Bridge. As early as 1785 Samuel JOSLIN and Abel DARLING erected a forge at the TODD place.

      An early industry which attained considerable importance in Poultney was the distilling of whiskey. At one time ten distilleries were in operation here, viz., one in Morse Hollow, operated by Joseph MORSE, sr.; one the LEWIS farm, by John LEWIS; one near Pond Hill, by Royal PEASE; one south of the river by Dr. David DEWEY; one by Thomas TODD a little way up Finel Hollow, where the tobacco-box factory afterwards stood; one about a mile east of the east village near the red school-house, by Harlow HOSFORD; one by Alonzo HOWE, near where the East Poultney cheese factory was afterwards built; one by Colonel RANSOM on his farm two miles north of Poultney village; one by Horace MALLARY, about a mile north from Ransom; and one near Hampton Bridge. The business began to decline by 1830, and in a few years was known only as a thing of the past.

      As early as 1800 the two villages had already begun their growth, and East Poultney was the larger. This relation was practically sustained until the opening of the railroad, which brought the business nearer the station, i. e., to the west village. It was about this period that some enterprising men in and about Poultney conceived the plan of converting the main road running north and south through the villages, and which was used as a thoroughfare from Lansingburgh, Troy and Albany, to Middlebury, Burlington and St. Albans, from the rough, uneven road it then was, into a turnpike. Accordingly the "Poultney Turnpike Company" was incorporated in the fall of 1805 and organized in 1806. Benjamin CARVER was the first secretary. The road was designed as part of a through line from Albany to Burlington, and was finally so established. The road was surveyed in 1808, and completed, it is supposed, in 1811. Being the line of stage travel north and south, the turnpike prospered until the New York canals connecting Lake Champlain with the Hudson River, were opened, and traffic north and south was shifted to the new and less expensive channel. It caused the final surrender of the turnpike to the towns through which it passed.

      On the 22d day of July, 1811, a great amount of damage was done to the property in town by a terrible freshet, which carried away dwelling-houses, and other buildings, and rendered some fields along the banks of the Poultney River for years unfit for cultivation. All the mills on Poultney River in town, with one exception, were carried away. Ithamar SMITH's dwelling was swept into the flood. One, George MORGAN, lost his life while attempting to cross the stream on horseback when it had begun to swell.

WAR OF 1812

      After the close of the Revolutionary War, and the settlement of the land controversy with New York, the inhabitants of Poultney, in common with other towns on the western border of Vermont, were permitted to pursue for a number of years the vocations whose progress had been prevented by those memorable struggles. The industries and inventions of men, now that the rude invasion of a foreign foe was no longer feared, were prosecuted with the diligence of which those times alone furnish examples, but the towns that border on Lake Champlain, and their neighbor towns, were destined to suffer again the fears and privations of war.

      No record exists containing the names of all those from Poultney who took part in the War of 1812, but it is reasonably certain that the town furnished her proportion. William MILLER, afterwards prominent as a Baptist clergyman and later more prominent as an Advent preacher, then a resident of Poultney; received a captain's commission from Governor Jonas GALUSHA, and was ordered to Burlington with his company, which he raised in Poultney. The following, among others, left Poultney to serve in this war: 

      Thomas SHEPA, Horace THOMPSON, Russell PITKIN, Charles OBRAHAM, John BROWN, Stephen, ANGEVINE, Philip ANGEVINE, Roswell CALENDER, Jonathan PIERCE and Amass THATCHER. It is not known, however, that all of the above named were in Captain Miller's company, though the presumption is that most of them were.


    "Nothing can so encourage those who believe in the stability of our government, as the fact that notwithstanding the extreme bitterness before the War 1812, or party spirit, and the refusal of adherents of either party to mingle any way with those of the other party, they lay aside the hatred that separated them in peace, and yielded to the love that united them in war." Then succeeded the long peace that prevailed with only one brief and insignificant interruption until the Civil War roused the warlike energies of another generation. But Poultney seems to have degenerated so much that she could not do her duty promptly and efficiently in all the emergencies of the war. The following is a list of soldiers credited to the town of Poultney, with the time of enlistment of each, the time of service, etc.

      Volunteers for three years credited previous to the call for 300,000 of October 17, 1863: George C. BABCOCK, Co. F, 6th regt.; George W. BALLARD, Alanson BARBER and Charles S. BARBER, Co. B, 2d regt.; Horace E. BARBER, Co. I, 7th regt.; Luther S. BARNES, cav., Co. H; David B. BATEMAN, John S. BATEMAN and Lewis L. BATEMAN, Co. B, 2d regt.; Frederick BEALS, Co. G, 11th regt.; John BODFISH, Co. I, 5th regt.; Chauncey W. BROWN and Eben BUTLER, Co. B, 2d regt.; James A. BUTLER, Co. B, 9th regt.; John BUTLER, Co. I, 5th regt.; William O. BUTLER, Co. B, 9th regt.; Robert CALDWELL, Frank H. CARRIGAN and James B. CARRIGAN, Co. B, 2d regt.; Henry B. CASSAVANT, Co. C, 11th regt.; Charles CLARK, Co. I, 7th regt.; Obadiah COLE, Co. B, 2d regt.; Albert F. CULVER, Co. E, 2d s. s.; Alanson DRAPER and David DRAPER, co. I, 7th regt.; Oscar DRAPER, Co. I, 5th regt.; F. M. EDGERTON and Edson H. FIFIELD, Co. B, 2d regt.; Joseph GEROY, Co. I, 5th regt.; Rollin M. GREEN, Co. I, 7th. regt.; Timothy HALEY, Co. I, 5th regt.; Charles HAMMOND, Co. B, 2d regt.; John W. HARRISON, Co. I, 7th regt.; Henry H. HART, Co. C, 11th regt.; Matthew HENNESSEY, Co. G, 2d regt.; Edgar J. HERRICK, Co. H, 5th regt.; David R. HOSFORD, Co. I, 5th regt.; Adin E. HOWARD, Co. B, 2d regt.; David B. HUNTER, Co. I, 7th regt.; Henry G. HUNTER, Co. B, 2d regt.; Robert HUNTER, Co. I, 7th regt.; William H. HYDE, Co. B, 2d regt.; Oliver JONES, Co. B, 9th regt.; Frank KILBORN, Co. C, 11th regt.; Samuel KILBORN, Co. I, 5th regt.; William LAMB, Co. C, 11th regt.; Charles E. LANCASTER, and Henry F. LEWIS, Co. I, 5th regt.; Judson A. LEWIS, Co. C, 11th regt.; Julius LEWIS, Co. I, 5th regt.; William G. LEWIS, Co. B, 2d regt.; Lucius LINCOLN, Co. E, 5th regt.; Thomas MAHAR, Albert E. MARANVILLE, Merritt P. MARANVILLE, Co. B, 2d regt.; Marcus MARSHALL, Co. H, cav.; William V. MEEKER, Co. C, 11th regt.; Joseph MEARS, Co. H, 2d regt.; Charles MEHRLING, Co. I, 7th regt.; William MILLER, Co. B, 2d regt.; Lester E. MONROE, Co. B, 9th regt.; Charles A. MOULTON, Martin A. MUNROE, Co. C, 11th regt.; Jonas H. MUNSON, Levi L. MUNSON, Co. 13, 2d regt.; James OATMAN, jr., Co. I, 7th regt.; Michael O’BRIEN, Co. B, 2d regt.; Charles H. PACKARD, Co. B, 7th regt.; Isaac E. Parker, Andrew PERRY, 5th regt.; Joshua POTTER Co. I, 7th regt.; Frank J. PRAY, n J. PRESTON, Co. C, 11th regt.; Gilbert H. PRINDLE, Co. H, 2d regt. s. s.; Edwin C. RICHARDSON, Co. I, 7th regt.; James W. RIPLEY, Co. C, 11th regt.; James G. ROE, rec. 2d regt.; Charles C. RUGGLES, Co. I, 7th regt.; Grove S. SCRIBNER, Co. H, 2d s. s.; Amander A. SHAW, William S. SHAW, George W. SHAW, Co. C, 11th regt.; Silas H. SHUMWAY, John SMITH, William P. SPAULDING, Co. I, 5th regt.; William P. SMITH, Co. B, 9th regt.; James F. STODDARD, Co. I, 7th regt.; Charles H. STOWE, Co. B, 2d regt.; Proctor SWALLOW, Co. I, 7th regt.; Allen THOMPSON, Co. F., 6th regt.; Charles E. THOMPSON, John E. THORNTON, Co. I, 5th regt.; David H. WHALEN, Co. C, 11th regt.; James WILSON, rec. regt.; Joseph C. WOODWARD, Co. B, 2d regt. 

      Credits under call of October 17th, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers and subsequent calls. Volunteers for three years. -- Horace E. BARBER, Co. I, 17th regt.; Justus P. BARKER, Co. I, 5th regt.; John BUTLER, Co. H, cav.; William S. COOK, Co. I, 7th regt.; Robert CORNISH, Walter DOUGLASS, Henry GORHAM, Co. I, 5th regt.; Dewitt C. FALKENBURG, Co. H, cav.; Merritt D. GRISWOLD, Co. I, 7th regt.; Henry M. GUILDER, James F. GUILDER, Morgan B. GUILDER, Co. G, cav.; Nathan LOVELAND, Co. B. cav.; Jeremiah MANNING, Co. I, 5th regt.; Egbert L. MARANVILLE, Co. B, 2d regt.; Franklin MCLEOD, Co. M, cav.; Edmond MONROE, Co. G, cav.; Joel P. MONTGOMERY, Co. I, 5th regt.; Jay D. MORSE, 2d bat.; Edwin A. PORTER, Co. G, cav.; James F. PRESTON, John B. SHAW, John M. SHAW, Co. I, 5th regt.; Ephraim SHELDRICK, 2d bat.; Jenks B. STEVENS, Co. I, 5th regt.; Henry A. TAYLOR, Co. I, 7th regt.; Francis H. WHALAN, Co. H. cav.

      Volunteers for one year. -- Leonard G. BUFFUM, Co. B, 9th regt.; George W. DAVIS, Co. B, 9th regt.; Daniel A. ENSIGN, 2d bat.; William C. FIELD, Co. F, 2d regt.; William B. GIDDINGS, 7th regt.; William L. HOWARD, Co. C, 7th regt.; John R. JOHNSON, cav.; Patrick KENNEDY, Co. D, 7th regt.; Frank LADDERBUSH, cav.; William MILLER, 2d bat.; William B. O'HERE, 6th regt.; George OLNEY, 9th regt.; Chandler P. RAWSON, Co. H, 9th regt.; Horace E. SMITH, Co. K, 7th regt.; Antoine WILLET, Co. B, 4th regt.; John M. YOUNG, Co. B, 9th regt.

      Volunteers re-enlisted. -- Oscar BABBITT, Co. I, 5th regt.; Lewis L. BATEMAN, Co. B, 2d regt.; Prosper E. FALES, 2d bat.; Edson H. FIFIELD, q. m. s., 2d regt.; Joseph GEROY, David R. HOSFORD, Co. I, 5th regt.; Albert E. MARANVILLE, Co. H, 2d regt.; Edson MCKENZIE, Charles MEHRLING, Joshua POTTER, Co. I, 7th regt.; Grove S. SCRIBNER, Co. H, 2d regt. s. s.; Proctor SWALLOW, Co. I, 7th regt.; Charles E. THOMPSON, Co. I, 5th regt.

      Enrolled men who furnished substitutes. -- Heman R. CLARK, Henry CLARK, Ed. H. GIBSON, Nelson C. HYDE, A. K. RIDER, Henry RUGGLES, L. E. THOMPSON, Schuyler, C. WELLS.

      Miscellaneous. --  Not credited by name, four men.

      Volunteers for nine months. -- Stephen S. BEACH, Cyrus M. BLISS, Isaac BOSWORTH, Co. F. 14th regt.; William H. BOYCE, Co. K, 14th regt.; Edwin D. DAVIS, Solomon DEWEY, Stephen A. DOUGLASS, J. P. EDDY, Joseph B. ENSIGN, Sylvanus F. HOOK, Robert HUNTER, Co. F, 14th regt.; Clark LAMB, Co. K, 14th regt.; Roswell R. LEWIS, Charles S. LAMB, Co. F, 14th regt.; Adin K. MARSHALL, Co. R, 14th regt.; George MERLING, Ashbel H. PEPPER, Charles R. POMEROY, Charles A. RANN, Co. F, 14th regt.; Benjamin RICE, Co. K, 14th regt., Hiram T. SMITH, John H. THOMPSON, Charles E. VAUGHAN, Co. F, 14th regt.

      Furnished under draft and paid commutation. -- Lucius AMES, Hiram G. BARBER, Charles F. BOOMER, Charles R. BULL, Henry W. CRITTENDEN, Asahel DEWEY, George W. FITCH, Solomon E. HOOKER, Henry HOWE, Charles KNAPP, Joseph M. LEWIS, Mark LEWIS, Charles RIPLEY, jr., Edwin C. SPAULDING, John S. WELLS. Entered service, James M. HUCKINS.

      The following figures indicate the population of Poultney as shown every decade of years by the United States census: 1791, 1,121; 1800, 1,694; 1810, 1,950; 1820, 1,955; 1830, 1,909; 1840, 1,880; 1850, 2,329; 1860; 2,278; 1870, 2,836; 1880, 2,717.


The Congregational Church

      The first church in town was the Congregational Church, which was organized in 1780 by Rev. Ithamer HIBBARD, of Bennington, and a chaplain in the army of the Revolution. It is not known who the original members were, but the following were probably among the members in 1795: Samuel LEE, Silas HOWE, Calvin MALLARY, Bazaleel FARNUM, Joel FRISBIE, Barnabus RICHMOND, Timothy CRITTENDEN and Oliver STRONG. There was a division of the church about 1785, owing to some unfavorable opinion of the orthodoxy of the pastor, and a part of the congregation withdrew and held separate worship thereafter, under the ministration of Mr. THOMPSON, until 1796, when a union was effected. This was the last year of Mr. HIBBARD's pastorate. The church was then supplied for a time by Rev. David SMITH, Prince JENNEY and a Mr. HAWLEY, but had no settled pastor until December, 1802, when Rev. Samuel LEONARD accepted a call, and on the following May 18, was duly installed. His pastorate of eighteen years was successful, and witnessed the completion of the new and present house of worship, while the old one built by the Congregational and Baptist societies in unison was destroyed by degrees until 1812, when every timber had disappeared. On November 21, 1821, Rev. Ethan SMITH was installed Mr. LEONARD's successor. He was dismissed on the third of November, 1826. Since his dismission the following pastors have been installed over the church : October 24, 1827, to the fall of 1834, Rev. Sylvester COCHRAN. During his pastorate (1829-30), large numbers were added to all the churches here in consequence of an earnest revival. Rev. Solomon LYMAN, February 26, 1835, to November 16, 1842. March 25, 1843, to January 30, 1846, Rev. Joseph MYRES; summer of 1847 to July 6, 1848, Rev. Daniel C. FROST. Rev. Cephus H. KENT, stated supply about two years and a half. March 9, 1853, to May 6, 1854, Rev. Jacob E. BLAKELY. January 10, 1856, to January 6, 1859, Rev. Calvin N. RANSOM. April 18, 1860, to February 23, 1869, Rev. John G. HALE. Rev. Ovid MINER, stated supply for about two years. Rev. Calvin GRANGER, the present pastor, came to East Poultney from Hubbardton in 1872, and began his labors in June of that year. The Sabbath-school was established in connection with this church as early as 1825; the present superintendent is A. B. RIPLEY. The average attendance is about thirty. The present deacons of the church are A. B. RIPLEY, William FARNUM and J. H. MEARS. The church membership numbers about eighty, and the estimated value of all the church property is $5,000. 

The Baptist Church

      The Baptist Church of Poultney was organized in 1782, and united for some years in worship and communion with the Congregational Church. Among the early Baptists in Poultney were Isaac ASHLEY, William WARD, Mrs. Thomas ASHLEY, John ASHLEY, Ichabod MARSHALL, Mrs. Ichabod MARSHALL and Elijah D. WEBSTER. On the 19th of May, 1802, the two societies having now been separated, Rev. Clark KENDRICK was ordained pastor. The present church edifice in East Poultney was erected in 1805 at an expense of $6,000, the audience-room being papered in 1839, at an additional expense of $2,000. On the 19th of February, 1824, Mr. KENDRICK died. Mr. Pharcellus CHURCH was ordained June 23, 1825, and resigned on the 21st of October, 1828. Rev. Eli B. SMITH, his successor, entered upon his labors with the church on the 23d of August, 1829. Samuel C. DILLOWAY came January 6, 1834, and continued until April 1, 1838. On the 20th of December, 1838, Velony R. HOTCHKISS was ordained pastor. Rev. Joseph M. DRIVER entered upon his pastoral office here November 5, 1842, and remained until April 5, 1845. The next pastor, Rev. Joseph CANNON, who commenced in February, 1846, dissolved the relation May 28, 1848. Rev. John GAODBY, D. D., became pastor on the 21st of January, 1849. His successor, Rev. William L. PALMER, was pastor from September, 1859, until August 5, 1865. Dr. GAODBY returned as supply on the 12th of November following, and accepted a call in April, 1867. He remained this time until the close of the year 1872. In May, 1867, the church was divided, and services were held thereafter in the west village under the pastorate of Dr. GAODBY, and in the east village under the preaching of Warren MASON. This division occasioned a great feeling of bitterness between the two sections which it took years to abate, the matter even reaching the secular courts in litigation. A settlement was effected in September, 1871. 

      After the termination of Dr. GAODBY's pastoral relations, the pulpit in the west village was supplied by various ministers. James A. PIERCE, a Hamilton student, was ordained, pastor July 29, 1873, and remained several years. The present pastor is Rev H. H. PARRY, since July 19, 1885. The new church edifice in this village was dedicated January 24, 1872. The present membership is 170. Average attendance at Sabbath-school is ninety. Albert KILBORN is superintendent. As before stated, Rev. Warren MASON supplied the pulpit at the East Poultney Baptist Church for several months, and was succeeded by Rev. Thomas TOBIN who, after supplying the desk for four months, became pastor in April, 1868.. He closed his labors here on the 4th of February, 1871. The church was then for two years without a pastor. A. T. DUNN then accepted a call and was pastor from April 6, 1873, to April 1, 1874, meanwhile receiving ordination. Rev. David BEECHER was pastor for some years after the middle of May, 1874 There is at present no pastor here. A Sabbath-school was connected with the church in about 1829, during the pastorate of E. B. SMITH. The present Sabbath-school superintendent is Frederick CARLTON. The church membership no numbers about sixty persons; J. R. DEWEY and H. HOWE are the present deacons.

The Methodist Episcopal Church

      The Methodist Episcopal Church of Poultney was formally organized in 1826. Among the first members of the society, which was organized in April of the same year, were Daniel MALLARY, Welcome PHILLIPS, Anthony AUSTIN, Newton SANFORD, Samuel CLEVELAND, William WELLS, Isaac TAYLOR, John ALLEN, Alanson RICE, Rufus MAYNARD, Henry STANLEY, Joel BEAMAN, John W. AUSTIN, Noah WELLS, and others. Poultney, however, was a subject of more or less frequent visitations from the circuit preachers. Lorenzo DOW's first arrival was in 1797. Rev. Tobias SPICER received an appointment to preach in East Poultney in 1810. The first house of worship was the old stone church erected in 1822. This was used until the winter of 1841-42, when the present edifice was dedicated. It will seat six hundred persons and cost originally about $12,000. It has undergone extensive repairs and improvements several times since it was built. The Sabbath-school was organized almost contemporaneously with the church, the average attendance whereof is about 140, while the church membership numbers about 160. The present value of the church property is $12,500, including the parsonage. The present pastor, Rev. C. A. S. HEATH, came in the spring of 1885. The Sabbath-school superintendent is Frederick COOK. The present stewards and trustees are, A. E. KNAPP, John RICHARDS, T. STANLEY, H. P. PROUTY, D. F. SOUTHWORTH, C. F. HARRIS, C. C. LOOMIS, H. ROWE, J. W. RIPLEY; class leaders, H. P. PROUTY and H. CLARK. The treasurer is H. P. PROUTY and the secretary, J. W. RIPLEY.

St. John's Church

      St. John's Church (Episcopal). -- This church was not properly organized until the period intervening between 1820 and 1825, although there were probably a few adherents of this faith in town from about 1792.

      In the year 1800 Rev. Amos PARDEE, rector of the. Hampton (N. Y.) parish, took up his residence in East Poultney, and accepted an invitation from friends to "preach in town as special occasions should call for and convenience  would permit." Notwithstanding the incomplete organization of the society, it was represented in the convention of the diocese, in 1809, by Ebenezer CANFIELD, and in 1811 by Lerial LEWIS. In 1824, probably the year when the Church organization was finally effected, the new parish was represented in the annual convention by Philo HOSFORD. In July, 1828, Rev. Moore BINGHAM assumed charge of the parish. At this time the following persons constituted the number of communicants: Abijah WILLIAMS and wife, Mrs. Persis BAILEY, Mrs. Fanny MALLARY, Mrs. PRINDLE, Lerial LEWIS and wife, Mrs. Lucy GIFFORD, Aaron LEWIS, Sarah YOUNG, and Mrs. HOSFORD. Services were held in the school-house at East Poultney. The corner-stone of the church edifice was laid May 27, 1831, and the building was first used in exactly one year afterward. Mr. BINGHAM's rectorship continued until Easter, 1837. Rev. Luman FOOT followed him for about one year; after Easter, 1840, Rev. Lucias M. PERDY officiated as rector for over two years and was followed in January, 1843, by Rev. Norman W. CAMP; he remained for but one year. During the holidays of 1844-45 Rev. Benjamin DANIELS took charge of the parish, to which he ministered until his death in the following September. For the six months following the end of July, 1845, Rev. James STEPHENSON was rector. The rectorship of Rev. Oliver HOPSON began the Sunday after Easter, 1847, and continued to Easter, 1865. He was succeeded in 1866 by Rev. Nathaniel F. PUTNAM, who began also to hold services in Joslin Hall for the west village. These services were so well attended as to justify the erection of the church edifice in the west village, which was consecrated in the fall of 1868. The present rector E. H. RANDALL, began his labor here in the fall of 1869. The, present officers of the church are as follows: Seth B. WOODWORTH, senior warden; William B. PRINDLE, junior warden; George WARD, Reuben R. THRALL, John KNOWLSON, M. D., vestrymen. There are now about 115 communicants in the parish, and at the Sabbath-school, of which the rector is ex-officio superintendent, there is an average attendance of about forty pupils. The church property is valued at $10,000.

The Christian Advent Church

      The Christian Advent Church was organized in February, 1858, with a membership of about 120 members: Asa J. ROGERS, Asa B. COOK and Justus L. KNAPP were the first deacons. The first pastor was Rev. John HOWELL, who remained about two years. Meetings were held in the old stone church, until November, 1869, since which time their services have been held in the Odd Fellows Hall. No regular services, however, have been held for years, although Rev. J. A. LIBBY, of Castleton, preaches here occasionally. There, are about fifty regular attendants.

The Roman Catholic Church

      The Roman Catholic Church edifice was erected in 1864, under the direction of Rev. Thomas P. LYNCH, then resident at West Rutland. Services had previously been held at irregular intervals for a number of years. Rev. J. C. O'DWYER, resident at Fairhaven, was the second priest, and succeeded by the present priest, Rev. P. J. O'CARROLL. The church is a Fairhaven charge. The cost of erecting the edifice in 1864 was about $3,000. The property is now valued at $3,500.


      The Troy Conference Academy was founded in 1833, the "beauty, healthfulness, temperance, good order, and freedom from influences baneful to a school, of Poultney," determining its founders to build it up in this place. The people of Poultney, among whom, it is said, Henry STANLEY was the most generous, were very liberal in their donations. The charter granted by the Vermont Legislature in 1834 contained the names of the following corporators, John STANLEY, Benjamin BARNET, Samuel P. HOOKER, Tobias SPICEER, Samuel D. FERGUSON, Noah LEVINGS, Sherman MINER, Peter C. OAKLEY and Timothy BENEDICT. The building was completed in September, 1837. The academy was opened, however, in 1836, in a select-school building. Sabin S. STOCKING was the first principal. The new building cost more than $40,000, and embarrassed the conference with a heavy debt. In 1855 the property was therefore, given by perpetual lease to Rev. Joshua POOR, who conducted what was, in reality, a private school in it until 1863. Rev. John NEWMAN and Prof. SEAMAN A. KNAPP then purchased it, and kept what they denominated the "Ripley Female College" until 1865, when Mr. NEWMAN became sole proprietor, and continued until August 26, 1873. In 1871 he published a proposition looking to the re-establishment of the conference academy, which resulted in the resolution by the conference to adopt it as a conference school, if it should be presented to them free of encumbrances. A number of the citizens of Poultney offered contributions sufficient to effectuate this object, and the property accordingly passed to the conference trustees. In 1873-74 Rev. N. S. CRAMER carried on a day school under the direction of the trustees, and on the 27th of August, 1874, the academy began its second career under favorable circumstances, with a complete faculty and boarding department. The principals, after the retirement of Rev. S. S. STOCKING in 1837, have been the following: Rev. Daniel CURRY, D. D., 1837-38; Rev. James COVEL, A. M., 1838-40; Rev. Jesse T. PECK, D. D., 1840-48; Rev. John NEWMAN, A. M., 1848-51; Rev. Oran FAYVILLE, A. M., 1851-52; Rev. Jason F. WALKER, A. M., 1852-55; Rev. William H. POOR, A. B., 1855-56; Lewis COLLINS, A. M., 1856-58; Rev. R. M. MANLEY, A. M., 1858-60; Revs. William H. POOR, A. B., and George S. CHADBOURN, A. M., 1860. The first principal after the restoration was Rev. M. E. CADY, A. M., who remained a number of years. His successor, the present principal, Rev. C. H. DUNTON, came here in 1877, and conducts a most admirable school.

      The graded school of Poultney is excellent in all its appointments. The building was erected in 1884 at a cost, including furniture, of $12,000. It is divided into four departments.


      The general history of the slate business in the county has received attention in Chapter XIII. We will therefore confine our statements to the history of the Poultney interests. The first quarry was opened in 1851 by Daniel and S. E. HOOKER on the farm then owned by Daniel HOOKER, about three miles north of Poultney village, and a little more than a mile south of the old "Eagle " quarry in Castleton. This firm, Hooker & Son, it has been said, was the third to engage in the slate business in Vermont. In 1854 they enlarged their business. A. W. HYDE at one time had a controlling interest in the quarries. Daniel HOOKER is now deceased, and S. E. HOOKER is conducting the drug business in the west village. Some time before 1875 Hugh G. HUGHES obtained possession of the quarries, and still further increased the business.

      The Eureka Slate Company was organized in 1878. The present owner, Captain Reginald ROBERTS, went in with Hugh G. HUGHES that year, and succeeded to the entire interest, when the latter was killed in the quarry a little more than two years ago. The average production of these three openings is 1,200 square feet of unfading green slate per month; 600 feet of purple, and 300 feet of sea-green. The mill for sawing this slate was built in 1834, and is the only mill in the world in which slate is sawn for roofing purposes. Aboutsixty-five men are employed. The plot of land on which the quarries are situated is thirty-two acres in extent.

      The "Farnum Quarry," so called, was opened in 1853 and worked until 1868 by William E. FARNUM & Son, on the farm now owned by Merritt CLARK, but is not worked now. The quarries on the present farm of William L. FARNUM are leased, but not at present working. George H. BOYCE has one quarry in operation, the farm lying next south of Mr. FARNUM.

      The Evergreen Quarry, north of the Hooker farm, was first opened by Griffith HUGHES in about 1860. The Evergreen Slate Company, originally comprised of James WISWELL, W. A. CLARK, Andrew CLARK and Griffith HUGHES, was incorporated November 19, 1868. In the summer of 1875 work was suspended for a time. The present company of Ainsworth & Cole, composed of H. AINSWORTH, and M. D. COLE, was formed in May, 1884. The color of the slate is a purple and a permanent green; a stratum twenty feet deep of the former, resting on one of a much greater depth of green, which is worked chiefly into billiard beds and mantel stock. About fifty men are employed.

      Nearly three-fourths of a mile south of the HOOKER farm above mentioned are seven openings on the farm of L. C. SPAULDING, the first opening having been made in the fall of 1865. Only four of these are at present worked, and are leased to William LLOYD, Richard E. LLOYD, and LLOYD & JONES, all of Fairhaven.

      The new Empire Slate Company, formed in 1879, succeeded then to the interest of Evan E. LLOYD, who began in 1853; Captain William H. Jones, his partner, came in 1879. They have an interest in three quarries, one of which they now work, about one and a half miles south of Poultney village. This quarry was opened in 1860 by George W. GIBSON. It produces about 2,000 squares per annum. This company also contract largely for the purchase and sale of slate.

      We take from the history of Poultney several facts which we are informed are true today as they were in 1875. The GIBSON quarry, about two miles south of the village was discovered and opened in 1864 by Owen WILLIAMS, and was afterwards purchased by a Schenectady company, and worked in connection with another quarry in the immediate vicinity, called the Schenectady quarry. A short distance north of these openings is the Horton quarry; opened in 1871 and for some years worked by Cyrus E. HORTON. It produced green roofing slate. 

      The Green Mountain slate vein, discovered by the late William R. WILLIAMS in 1866, and opened by himself and his brother, John R. WILLIAMS, the same year, is about one hundred rods east of the railroad track on land then owned by Aaron LEWIS. 

      J. DAVIS opened the Olive Branch quarry in 1867, in the same vicinity. The slate about here is a mottled green color.

      Just east of the Green Mountain quarry, on the farm of Asa J. ROGERS, is a vein of sea green slate, discovered and opened in July, 1871, by William GRIFFITH and William NATHANIEL, who now work five quarries there under the firm style of Griffith & Nathaniel. In 1879 they built their office near the depot and carry on the business with great regularity. The production of their quarries amounts to 1,500 or 2,000 squares per month, the slate being shipped even to Australia and different parts of Europe. It is used entirely for roofing purposes.

      The firm of AULD & CONGER have quarries in the south part of the town, which have been worked for seven or eight years past with good success. The product of the quarries is a fine quality of sea green roofing slate. Messrs. AULD & CONGER have been together since the quarries were opened. 

      RIPLEY & STANLEY, hereafter mentioned at greater length, added a slate mill to their other factory, in November, 1883. 

      Richard L. JONES, Seth ROBERTS and Thomas EDWARDS, under the firm name of JONES, ROBERTS & EDWARDS, work a quarry of sea green slate in the south part of the town, which was discovered by Mr. Edwards in 1882, just before the present partnership was formed. The production ranges from 2,500 to 5,000 squares a year. Mr. EDWARDS has also three quarries on his farm south of the above, which he leases respectively to AULD & CONGER, of Cleveland, Ohio; PARRY & JONES, of Poultney, and Owen DAVIS, of Poultney. Mr. EDWARDS  worked these quarries himself until 1884. They produce from 10,000 to 15,.000 squares a year, in all.

      S. COOMBE, manufacturer of marbleized slate mantels, lamp bases, etc., started here in August, 1884, and already does about a $50,000 business.

      The Poultney Slate Works have three openings on the farm before mentioned, formerly belonging to HOOKEr & Son, and a large mill within ten rods of the quarry. It is a stock company, incorporated in August, 1884, under the laws of the State of New York, with F. T. SARGENT for president; H. C. DERIVERA, treasurer and general manager, and Salvador ROS, vice-president and secretary. M. B. MAYHAR is the general superintendent of the works. They have warerooms at 513 and 515 Sixth Avenue, New York, at 916 Gates Avenue, Brooklyn, and 178 Tremont street, Boston. The New York office is at 117 Pearl Street. They employ on an average seventy men and finish about four hundred marbleized mantels monthly, the mills having a capacity for about 16,000 feet of stock per month. The quarry was opened for the gentlemen now composing the company in May, 1881, by M. D. MAYHAR. The largest opening is about 200 feet long, 100 wide and 100 deep, and contains an underground cavity tunneled about one hundred by eighty feet.

      Besides the quarries and companies mentioned, a number of skillful slate men contract with the companies dealing in slate, and furnish it at their own  expense. Robert O. ROBERTS contracts now with RIPLEY & STANLEY and formerly contracted with GRIFFITH & NATHANIEL. He began here in the summer of 1884. 

      Since 1875, it is said, the slate business of Poultney has more than doubled in volume, and has also greatly increased in profits. It is comparatively in its infancy yet, however, and if properly developed, will be a source of great wealth to the town.


      This society was organized on the 3d of September, 1881, by the election of the following officers: Honorable Ralph RICHARDS, president: R. J. HUMPHREY, secretary; and Edward CLARK, treasurer. It was reorganized on the 4th of August, 1882, and incorporated under the laws of Vermont. The officers for 1885 are N. C. HYAR, president; M. O. STODDARD, vice-president: R. J. HUMPHREY, secretary; M. J. HORTON, treasurer; R. H. CLARK, general superintendent; directors, T. B. CLARK, R. T. RAY, E. R. PEMBER, R. R. THRALL, H. C. RANN, J. A. BENEDICT. The society enjoys the peculiar advantage of freedom from the control of horse-jockeys, no trotting, being exhibited during the season of its fairs. Fine, commodious buildings, have been erected on the grounds of the society at an expense of about $2,000. The last report of the treasurer shows the sum on hand to be $1,300, with no outstanding liabilities.


      The officers of the town of Poultney, elected in March, 1885, are as follows: William H. ROWLAND, town clerk; Charles RIPLEY, L. C. SPAULDING, Joseph F. MORSE, selectmen; J. W. D. DEANE, treasurer; Alonzo HERRICK, constable and collector; Charles A. RANN, Edward S. MILLER, Walter METCALF, listers ; F. S. Platt, M. COSTELLO, G. D. BELDEN, auditors., Charles A. RANN, overseer of the poor; Rev. Calvin GRANGER, superintendent of schools; Charles S. LEWIS, J. H. TAY, Charles BEALS, fence viewers; William ROWLAND, representative.


      Little concerning the history of the villages, in addition to what is contained in foregoing pages, can now be said. Prior to the building of the Rutland and Washington railroad through the west village in 1852, East Poultney had from the beginning been deemed the business and social center of the town. All the churches were located there, town meetings and freemen's meetings, military trainings, holiday celebrations, and public, gatherings of every sort were all held there. But the opening of railroads invariably shifts the channels of trade. The west village soon after 1852 began to increase in population and business importance, and the east village suffered a corresponding diminution in enterprise. In 1868, after years of zealous effort and the enkindling of many bitter animosities, a vote to have the town meetings held in the west village was passed and the change was complete. Thebulk of the business of the town is now in the west village.


      One of the two hotels now open in town, viz., Beaman's Hotel, was the stage station before stage lines were superseded by canals and railroads. It is not the first hotel in town, that distinction belonging to the tavern of Thomas ASHLEY, on the site of the school-house on the main road; but it is very old and historic. The site, then partly covered by a single storied house, was purchased by John STANLEY in 1794. Subsequently he erected a two storied house, which now comprises a part of the hotel, and in 1805 or 1806 opened a tavern there. Joel BEAMAN bought him out in 1809 and thereafter kept public house until his death in 1846. His son, J. D. BEAMAN, succeeded him then until 1849, when the present proprietor, C. C. BEAMAN, also son to Joel BEAMAN, took possession and has remained owner and proprietor ever since. The house has been rebuilt several times, the most complete transformation being effected by Joel BEAMAN in 1824. About thirty guests can be comfortably accommodated.

      The Poultney House was erected by Henry STANLEY about 1834 and occupies the site covered by the store of John STANLEY about the opening of the present century. A. H. BROWN kept the hotel longer than any other landlord and preceded the present proprietor, Mr. Joselyn.


      The oldest store in town is the one kept by Deweys & Co., of East Poultney, which was built before 1816, and first kept by Bryan RANSOM and Harvey D. SMITH. Amos BLISS ran the store for several years following about 1820. David POTIWIN followed BLISS and in two or three years was succeeded by William P. NOYES, who remained until about 1850. His successors were Zebediah DEWEY and Peter FARNAM. T. D. and E. S. DEWEY also kept there for some years. The present firm formed August 31, 1874, by the addition of I. G. BLISS to the Deweys.

      W.W. HIBBARD, dealer in books and stationery, drugs and medicines, established the last named department :n the summer of 1860, and afterwards added the stationery stand. He is the better qualified as a druggist from having graduated from the Castleton Medical College in about 1850.

      L.E. THOMPSON bought out the grocery and crockery store of Charles RIPLEY about twenty years ago, and until within two years kept store in the eastern part of the village.

      The dry goods store of Charles LEFFINGWELL was started by him in May, 1870. 

      The business now carried on by George H. RIPLEY, dealer in boots and shoes, trunks, bags, etc., was established about 1873 by J. C. DERBY. Mr. Ripley bought him out May 5, 1885.

      In the fall of 1876 S. E. HOOKER bought the stock of drugs and medicines belonging to Dr. Hiram MEEKER, and has since carried on the business himself. He was formerly a member of the firm of Daniel HOOKER & Son, slaters.

      P. BRENNAN, grocer and general merchant, succeeded P. H. Hill in the fall of 1877. HILL had been in the business here about a year previous.

      M.J. HORTON, dealer in hardware and stoves, groceries, paints, house furnishing goods, etc., started here in June, 1877, as successor to E. C. RICHARDSON.

      E.M. BIXBY, dealer in coal, wood, lime, cement, etc., bought out the coal business of Henry RUGGLES in the spring of 1877.

      The store of RANN & FRISBIE, comprising a stock of gentlemen's furnishing goods, clothing, trunks, bags, robes and horse clothing, was started by H. C. RANN and J. S. FRISBIE, the present proprietors, May 1, 1878. Mr. RANN had had considerable mercantile experience before that, both here and in Rutland. 

      F.P. ALLEN purchased the stock of L. A. HAWES, dealer in jewelry and gents' furnishing goods in September, 1878, and now carries on business.

      J.W.D. DEANE and D. F. SOUTHWORTH, dealers in clothing and men's furnishing goods, formed the partnership of Deane & Southworth, September 1, 1885. Mr. SOUTHWORTH had before that carried on a general mercantile business here since 188o. Mr. DEANE has, separately, a general store, which he started in November, 1880

      The firm of Chapin & Smith (M. D. CHAPIN and Pratt G. SMITH) was formed in the spring of 1882; they now run a hardware store and are extensively engaged in the manufacture of creameries and churns. About two hundred creameries are annually sold in New York alone, and 400 to 500 churns. Mr. CHAPIN began to manufacture them in the spring of 1879.

      M.A. HOWARD, jr., druggist and general merchant, on the 22d of July, 1885, bought out C. W. POTTER, who had been in the business for about two years.

      The dry goods and general store of M. M. & M. MYERS was started by them in the fall of 1883.

      Isaac CANE, who deals in clothing and fancy dry goods, began his mercantile career here in 1856, and from 1868 to 1879 ran a store in the village. His present business he founded in September, 1885.

      The restaurant and grocery of E. A. CLAYTON was started by Jerry LEWIS, in 1868. Mr. CLAYTON bought him out in March, 1885.

      The restaurant and grocery of D. J. BENEDICT was started by A. C. CAMPBELL in 1883. Mr. BENEDICT purchased his stock and good will in February, 1885.


      The manufacturing business of greatest antiquity in Poultney is the widely known "Ruggles foundry." The land on which the: foundry building; now stands was purchased by John STANLEY from Jeremiah ADAMS soon after the flood of 1811, which bared the rocks in the river in this; place, and developed the water-power here. Suitable buildings being soon erected on this site, Mr. STANLEY commenced manufacturing shearing-machines, and operated also a carding and cloth-dressing factory here. After a few years he relinquished the manufacture of shearing-machines to his sons Henry and Myron N. Henry STANLEY afterwards succeeded the firm, and in 1828 added the foundry business. In 1829 a fire destroyed everything but the foundry, which thereupon received the entire attention of Mr. STANLEY: It became in a short time a stove manufactory of wide reputation. Henry J. RUGGLES purchased the property in 1844, and continued the business until the time of his death in May, 1869. From that time to 1878 his sons, Horace M. and Henry, owned and managed the concern. Since the latter date Henry RUGGLES has been sole proprietor. No stoves are made here now, the principal product of the foundry being machinery of all kinds. Slate-sawing and planing-machines, which were made here soon after 1850, are still a specialty. Mr. RUGGLES has recently added steam power to the foundry. He employs from twenty-five to thirty men.

      The business of manufacturing furniture here was established by George PEPPLER in 1852, who still continues the business.

      Harvey ROWE began the manufacture of granite and marble monuments as early as 1865.

      The origin of the business of the MOSELEY & STODDARD Manufacturing Company dates back to about 1866, when F. W. MOSELEY, the inventor of Moseley's cabinet creamery, had a shop near Hampton Bridge, in which he manufactured agricultural implements, etc. The firm of MOSELEY & STODDARD was formed in 1872 for the purpose of manufacturing agricultural implements and dealing in stoves and tinware, and occupied the building now used by RANN & FRISBIE as a clothing store. In 1874 they erected their present building and began to manufacture dairy apparatus. The present stock company of the MOSELEY & STODDARD Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1881 with a capital stock of $40,000. The first officers were: F. W. MOSELY, president; M. O. Stoddard, treasurer; Cyrus GATES, secretary; F. W. MOSELEY, M. O. STODDARD, Charles RIPLEY, T. B. CLARK and Henry RUGGLES, directors. The present officers are Henry RUGGLES, president; M. O. STODDARD, treasurer; Cyrus GATES, secretary; Henry RUGGLES, M. G. STODDARD, Charles RIPLEY, T. B. CLARK and J. H. TAY, directors. A full line of dairy apparatus, including the Moseley cabinet creamery and the Stoddard churn are made here. From twenty-five to forty men are employed. The company has survived a suit for infringement which lasted from 1879 to 1882, and in which this company, as "defendant, was successful.

      The grist-mill of James BULLOCK, at East Poultney, he erected in 1876. He grinds about a car load and a half per month, in addition to his custom work.

      J.W. RIPLEY commenced making harnesses here in the spring of 1878.

      The steam sawing and planing-mills of RIPLEY & STANLEY were originally erected in 1854 by BOSWORTH, COLVIN & BEALS, and were used in making doors, washes, blinds, mouldings, etc. William BOSWORTH died in 1860; M. COLVIN left in 1866, and the concern was sold to COPELAND & Co. After numerous changes in ownership Charles RIPLEY and Theodore STANLEY acquired the property and have since carried on the business under the firm name of Ripley & Stanley. On July 2, 1878, and again on April 25, 1879, the mills were destroyed by fire, and at once rebuilt. The slate-mill was added in 1883. They have two quarries, employ in all about fifty men, and receive from sales about $60,000 annually.

      The grist-mill of Solon SHERMAN came into his hands in February, 1882, when he purchased it of E. J. WILLIAMS. E. R. and R. MCGRATH, BULLOCK & BEACH, and James BULLOCK have operated it in former times. It has a capacity for grinding about five hundred bushels of corn daily.

      In the spring of 1883 James B. CARRIGAN succeeded J. C. WILSON in the undertaking business, and in 1884 began manufacturing furniture. He has had nearly twenty years experience in both branches of his present business.


      The more prominent of the attorneys who have practiced in Poultney in the past have received mention in Chapter XVII. Of those still in practice here, the one of longest standing is John B. BEAMAN, who was born in Poultney on the 13th day of September, 1819; was graduated from Union College in 1840, studied law with Zimri HOWE, of Castleton, and E. L. ORMSBEE, of Rutland; was admitted to the bar of Rutland county in the spring term of 1843, and opened an office at once in Poultney. He has been associated with F. S. PLATT since May 7, 1877.

      Hon. Barnes FRISBIE was born on the 23d of January, 1815, in Middletown, Vt.; he studied law in the office of Caleb B. HARRINGTON, of Middletown, and was admitted to practice in Rutland county in 1842. He practiced in Middletown until 1863, when he came to Poultney. For further particulars concerning his life, see the biographical sketch which appears in a subsequent page.

      Elijah ROSS was born in Shrewsbury, Vt., in 18 19. He studied law with C. B. HARRINGTON in Middletown, and was admitted in September, 1845. He practiced nine years in Middletown and one in Wells. In 1867 he came to Poultney and has engaged in the practice of law and in the nursery business since that time.

      F.S. PLATT was born September 9, 1853, at Enosburg, Vt. He studied law in the office of ORMSBEE & BRIGGS, of Brandon, and was admitted at the March term of the County Court in 1877. On the 7th of May of the same year he entered into partnership with John B. BEAMAN, of Poultney.

      William H. ROWLAND was born in Fairhaven, Vt., December 5, 1854; studied law with George M. FULLER, of Fairhaven, and John B. BEAMAN, of Poultney. Since his admission in the fall of 1878, he has practiced in Poultney.

      E.S. MILLER was born on the 11th of May, 1854, in Hampton, N. Y.; studied law with John B. BEAMAN at first and concluded with C. B. & C. F. EDDY, of Bellows Falls, Vt, he was admitted to practice in Windsor county in September, 1878, and came to Poultney in March, 1878, as partner of the firm of FRISBIE & MILLER.


      The early physicians of Poultney and the rest of the county having received sketches in a former chapter, we will here confine ourselves to brief notices of those now in practice. Dr. George L. BLISS was born on the 23d of December, 1818, at Castleton, Vt., and was graduated from the Castleton Medical College in the fall of 1844. He came to Poultney oil January 14, 1848, the intervening period being passed in practice in Hydeville, and in attending lectures in the northern part of the State.

      Dr. L. D. ROSS was born in Poultney on the 4th of July, 1828. He was graduated from Castleton Medical College in 1857; practiced in East Poultney until 1861; was surgeon in the Rebellion two years; practiced the next three and a half years in Benson, Vt., and resumed his practice in this town (west village) in the spring of 1869. He was graduated from Middlebury College in 1851.

      Dr. A. E. HORTON, East Poultney, was born in Mount Holly, Vt., June 9, 1835. He was graduated in the spring of 1858, from the medical department of the.University of Vermont. He practiced six years in Shrewsbury and came here in the fall of 1864.

      Dr. J. KNOWLSON was born in Troy, N. Y., on the 31st of March, 1836. He received his medical education in the New York City College of Physicians and Surgeons, and at the Castleton Medical College, being graduated from the latter in 1857. He also became a graduate of Williams College in 1855. He practiced two years in Troy; in Omaha, Neb., as surgeon of the Union Pacific railroad three years, and was also in United States service as a surgeon; in 1871-75, in Granville, N. Y., whence he came to Poultney in 1875.

      Dr. E. D. ELLIS was born in Fairhaven, Vt., August 3, 185o, was graduated from the medical department of Harvard University in June, 1877, and came in 1878 to Poultney to practice.

      Dr. A. B BIXBY was born in Mount Holly, Vt., on the 26th of June, 1834;received his medical education at Castleton and at the Bellevue Hospital, New York; graduating from the former college in 1858. He practiced in Londonderry, Vt., until 1883 (except two years when he was surgeon in the army), when he came to Poultney.


      Dr. S. L. Ward was born October 6, 1828, in Hampton, N. Y.; he commenced the practice of dentistry here in 1867.


      Poultney has been singularly gifted with material for an interesting paragraph in the history of its press. East Poultney, as is well known, was the early home and workshop of Horace GREELEY. The Northern Spectator, with which he was connected, started in East Poultney in 1822 (in November) under the name of Poultney Gazette. Sanford SMITH and John R. SHUTE were editors and proprietors. The first issue of the paper under its new name was in January, 1825. On December 28, 1825, SMITH & SHUTE published their valedictory and sold their interest to a company for which D. DEWEY and A. BLISS were agents. E. G. STONE soon succeeded them in the agency. In January, 1830, the paper was discontinued. The first publications of the Gazette were in the building now owned by Stephen SCOTT, but early in 1823 it was removed into the building now occupied by Zebediah DEWEY, which had been erected by Stephen W. DANA.

      Horace GREELEY, though born in New Hampshire, moved with his father to Westhaven in 1811. He secured a position in the Spectator office in 1826, and remained there four years and two months, when the paper was discontinued, and Horace took his remarkable journey to Erie, Pennsylvania.

      The Owl, was the name of a paper published a few months in 1867 by James H. Lansley.

      The next paper published here was the Poultney Bulletin, the first number of which was issued March the 12th, 1868, with John NEWMAN, D. D., editor, George C. NEWMAN, assistant editor, and J. A. NORRIS, publisher. In September, 1870, H. L. STILLSON and William HASWELL purchased this property; in August, 1871, HASWELL succeeded STILLSON and continued the publication until November, 1873. In December, 1873, R. J. HUMPHREY bought the Bulletin office and on the 19th of that month the first number of the Poultney Journal  was issued BY FRISBIE & HUMPHREY, publishers, and B. FRISBIE, editor. Three years later HUMPHREY sold out to Barnes FRISBIE and J. H. HAYLES. In 1879 E. V. ROSS succeeded HAYLES. In the spring of 1881 C. W. POTTER succeeded: to FRISBIE's interest and in a few weeks acquired the entire property. In about eleven months he sold to R. J. HUMPHREY, the present publisher and editor: The Poultney Journal is a four paged, 26x40 paper with eight columns in a page; is independent in politics, with a leaning towards the Democratic party An extensive job department has been developed and steam power added to the old fashioned hand-press used in the beginning. 


      The First National Bank of Poultney was organized in July, 1881, with a capital of $50,000. The first and present officers are, J. B. BEAMAN, president; Leonidas GRAY, of Middletown, vice-president; M. D. COLE, cashier. There are now thirty-three stockholders in the concern.


      Post routes were established in Vermont soon after the close of the Revolutionary War, and in 1783 Anthony HASWELL, of Bennington, was appointed postmaster of Vermont. In 1791, when Vermont was admitted to the Union, the general government appointed David RUSSELL postmaster of Vermont. It seems probable that a post-office was established in Poultney in January, 1799, with John STANLEY postmaster. Timothy CRITTENDEN succeeded STANLEY, and was followed, February 10, 1809, by Daniel SPRAGUE. Daniel MALLARY was appointed in 1815. Henry STANLEY resigned the position in August, 1824, and in the following month the office was changed to West Poultney. The following postmasters have officiated since 1836: Samuel P. HOOKER from 1836 to 1841; Isaac LEFFINGWELL from 1841 to 1842; James RICHARDSON from 1842 to 1845; Samuel P. HOOKER from 1845 to 1849; John B. BEAMAN from 1849 to 1853; Henry CLARK from 1853 to 1860, and Merritt CLARK from t 860 to 1877, when Henry T. HULL was appointed. The present postmaster, R. J. HUMPHREY, was appointed December 21, 1885. The name of the office at the west village was changed back to Poultney September 28, 1857.

      The post-office was established at East Poultney under the name of Poultney, on the 4th of August, 1824, and Stephen W. DANA was appointed postmaster. The following have been postmasters since his retirement in 1827; Daniel MALLARY from 1827 to 1829; Harris HOSFORD from 1829 to 1832; William WHEELER from 1832 to 1834; Simeon MEARS from 1834 to 1840; William M BOSWORTH from 1840 to 1841; James P. HARRIS from 1841 to 1846; Willlam MCLEOD from 1846 to 1849; Paul M. ROSS from 1849 to 1853; J. C. DERBY from 1853 to 1861; and Edwin S. DEWEY since then. The name of the office was changed to East Poultney in 1857.

History of Rutland County Vermont with Illustrations And Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men And Pioneers
Edited by H. Y. Smith & W. S. Rann, Syracuse, N. Y.
D. Mason & Co., Publishers  1886
History Of The Town Of Poultney.
(pages 766-795)

Transcribed by Karima, 2002

Childs' History of the Town of Poultney, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82
Childs' Business Directory of the Town of Poultney, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82
Poultney Historical Society
Troy Conference Academy