Search billions of records on





THIS town as originally chartered was six miles square; but its area was reduced about one-third by taking of a part in the formation of Middletown and a part in forming Wallingford. (See history of Middletown.) The town lies in the southern part of the county and is bounded north by Clarendon and Ira; east by Wallingford; south by Danby, and west by Wells and Middletown. Its charter is dated September 15, 1761, and was granted to Joseph HOOKER and others, in seventy shares, with the following customary five shares reserved: "One tract to contain 500 acres, marked on the map B. W., for His Excellency, Bennington Wentworth, esq." One share for the incorporated society for the "propagation of the gospel in foreign parts;" one share for a glebe for the Church of England; one share for the first settled minister, and one share for the benefit of schools in the town. Although the charter ordered that the first town meeting should be held in 1762, it was not obeyed, and the town was not organized until March 8, 1774, at which time Charles BREWSTER was chosen clerk.

      The surface of this town is broken and somewhat mountainous. A range of considerable elevation extends the length of the town from north to south, dividing it into what are locally known as "East Town" and "West Town."

      West of this range is a fertile valley which affords excellent farming and grazing lands; eastward of the range lies the rich and fertile valley of Tinmouth River. This is the principal stream and flows northerly across the town into Clarendon. Poultney River rises in the west part of the town, and numerous small streams have their sources among the highlands and join the larger streams mentioned. Tinmouth pond is in the extreme southeast part and is the source of Tinmouth River. The soil of the town is varied between wide extremes and gives it prominence as an agricultural and dairying district. There are rich deposits of iron, the ore being of excellent quality, and large quantities of it, were used in early years in the Tinmouth furnaces, or transported to Plymouth and other points. There are also marble and black lead deposits in the town.


      Following is a list of the original grantees of the town: Joseph HOOKER, Jared LEE, Elijah COWLES, Eleazer ROOT, Jehiel PARMELEE, Ebenezer ORVIS, Joseph PORTER, Samuel WHITMAN, John PORTER, Captain Eph. TREADWELL, Lieutenant John HART, Daniel CURTIS, Gideon BELDAN, Stephen DORCHESTER, James HITCHCOCK, Abraham CRITTINTON, James NAUGHTON, jr., Thomas NEWELL, Josiah LEWIS, John HORSFORD, Elias ROBERTS, Amos BARNES, Levi PORTER, Abel HAWLEY, John CAMP, Stephen HART, jr., Samuel PIKE, John WIARD, Ebenezer HAWLEY, Samuel COGSWELL, Isaac NEWELL, Jonathan ANDRUS, Thomas BELL, Abel CARTER, David SMITH, Ebenezer FISH, Ephraim HOUGH, Stephen GRANNIS, Captain Isaac HURLBURT, Admiah PARKS, Simeon HART, Joel PARKS, Ephraim TUTTLE, John STREET, John HART, of Wallingford, John CARTER, Jacob CARTER, jr., Asahel COGSWELL, Isaiah MOSS, Daniel LANKTON, Jonathan BLACKLEE, Joseph STAR, Captain Edward GAYLORD, Andrew GRIDLEY, Reynold BECKWITH, Ebenezer HUBBARD, Aaron HOWE, Joseph BUNNILL, Richard WIBAND, Daniel WARNER, Eliakim HALL, Zachariah GILLET, Timothy HALL, John CARRINGTON.

      The town organization took place, as stated, on the 8th of March, 1774, and Charles BREWSTER was made the first town clerk. John MCNAILE (MCNEAL) was made moderator of the meeting and James ADAMS, Charles BREWSTER and, John MCNAILE were elected selectmen. It did not require a very important man in those days to secure two or more town offices.

      There was little for the first town authorities to do, except to lay out roads and, as was the universal custom, make arrangements for religious services and schools. Hence, we find among the resolutions passed at the early town meetings the following:

March 12, 1776

"Voted, That we will build a log house to meet in on the Sabbath."

November 24, 1778

"Voted, That the inhabitants of this town will hire preaching 3 months or until our annual meeting in March next. 

"Voted, That this town doth make choice of Rev. Obadiah NOBLE to preach for us the above 3 months."

April 6, 1779

"Voted, That this town will hire preaching this year, and that we will get a candidate to preach, if we can.

"Voted, That we choose Thomas PORTER, Obadiah NOBLE and Solomon BINGHAM as a committee to provide preaching.

"Voted, That Mr. NOBLE shall supply the pulpit till we can get a candidate."

July 6, 1779

"Voted, That we will hire preaching four months. 

"Voted, That we, the inhabitants of the town of Tinmouth, direct our committee to hire Mr. Benjamin OSBORN to preach with us the 4 months above mentioned.

"Voted, That we will raise ?400 to build a meeting-house."

April 6, 1780

"Voted, To give Mr. Benjamin OSBORN a call to settle in the work of the ministry in this town.

"Voted, That if Mr. OSBORN shall settle in the work of the ministry in this town, that, in addition to the ministerial right of land in this town, we shall give him as a salary for the first year after his settlement, ?35, for the second year, ?40, and so on, in the same progression, until his salary shall amount to ?70 per year, during the continuation of the said Mr. OSBORN in the work of the ministry in this town; said salary to be paid, one-half in wheat, rye and Indian corn. Wheat at 5s. per bushel, rye at 3s. 6d. per bushel, corn at 2s. 6d. per bushel, the remaining one-half to be paid in lawful money, equivalent to the price of grain above mentioned."

      If the foregoing measures mean anything, it is that the early settlers of Tinmouth were determined to have the gospel preached among them, and that they were imbued with a spirit of religion and morality. This town has furnished many eminent men; and no one can say that this spirit of veneration for religion and the teachings that followed it did not contribute largely to the production of those men.

      Upon other matters we find the following votes:

April 6, 1779

Voted, That this town do accept the report of the committee sent to Poultney to assist in building the fort at Castleton.

"Voted, That we will raise the men, that is, 30, in order to build the above fort.

Voted, That Captain John SPAFFORD shall choose the men, with Gideon WARREN and Major ROYCE to assist as a committee to choose the men."

      The patriotic spirit of the Revolution was evidently not wanting in Tinmouth. The following names indicate those who took active part in the Revolutionary struggle from this town, though it is probable there were others: Nathaniel CHIPMAN, Neri CRAMTON, ____ PHILLIPS, Major Stephen ROYCE, Samuel NOBLE, Elisha CLARK, John TRAIN, Benjamin CHANDLER.

      Tinmouth was chosen as the shire town when the county was organized in 1781, and the courts and public business were conducted here until 1784, the courts being held in Solomon BINGHAM's inn, one room serving as a bar-room and court-room and the other as the family living-room. When the jury retired to consult upon a verdict, it is said they repaired to a log barn eight or ten rods away from the log tavern. The county jail, also constructed of logs and, as tradition has it, with a blanket hung up for a door, was situated about a mile from the court-room. There was then no way of going to court except on horseback or on foot. There were a few sleds in the town, which served very well when there was snow; but there were no wheel vehicles except rough ox: carts or heavy lumber wagons.


      We have named the men who were elected to town: offices at the first meeting; they were the first comers to the town. About the time of the organization of the town, Ebenezer ALLEN and Stephen ROYCE came in. They were appointed delegates from Tinmouth to the first convention that was assembled to declare the New Hampshire grants an independent state. They met at Cephas KENT's in Dorset in July, 1774. Ebenezer ALLEN and Charles BREWSTER (the first town clerk) were delegates to the convention that assembled at Windsor in July, 1777, and adopted the constitution of Vermont. Before this time, or within a year or two after, Elihu CLARK, Jonathan BELL, Thomas PORTER, Obadiah NOBLE, Samuel MATTOCKS and Ebenezer MARTIN moved into the town. Charles BREWSTER was the first representative of the town in the Legislature and was also appointed a judge of the court which was created for the Rutland shire of Bennington county, before Rutland county ward organized.

      Solomon BINGHAM was a blacksmith and lived on the place now occupied by Samantha EDDY. He did not work much at his trade in this town. He had a large family and his oldest son, Solomon, was educated at Dartmouth, studied law and practiced several years in Tinmouth; he removed to Franklin county. The elder Solomon was the second representative of the town.

      Colonel John Spafford was one of the first settlers and located at the south end of the "Tinmouth flats." He was a man of prominence, the third representative of the town and prosperous in business. Heman SPAFFORD, of Clarendon, is a son of Colonel John.

      John MCNEAL (whose name is "MCNAILE" in the records) was one of the most active and energetic of the early settlers. He lived where Linus VALENTINE's brick house stands, and kept the first inn in town. When the Revolutionary War broke out, he espoused the wrong cause and his property was confiscated. The sale of his farm, he being free from debt, put more money into the Vermont treasury than any other similar sale.

      John TRAIN came in with the early settlers, bringing with him his son Orange, He died in 1777, Orange TRAIN was the first constable of the town and represented it in the Legislature nine years. Dexter GILBERT, one of the oldest men now living in the town, is a grandson of Orange TRAIN.

      Benjamin CHANDLER, one of the first immigrants to the town, had a numerous family, and was killed at the battle of Bennington. His son, also named Benjamin, was a physician and lived and died at St. Albans.

      Samuel CHIPMAN was another of the very early blacksmiths of the town. He had six sons, Nathaniel, Lemuel, Darius, Cyrus, Samuel and Daniel. Several of these sons became eminent in the State, particularly the oldest, for a sketch of whose career the reader is referred to the foregoing chapter on the legal profession of the county. Lemuel CHIPMAN studied medicine, as did also his brother Cyrus; the former practiced for a time in Pawlet; represented that town in the Legislature and was six years a judge of the county court; he removed to the western part of the State with his brother Cyrus, and there became distinguished in politics. Darius CHIPMAN was a lawyer and after occupying for several years the farm in Tinmouth which he had bought of Nathaniel, removed to Rutland and was for fourteen years State's attorney. The three younger sons of Samuel CHIPMAN left the town when they were licensed practice their profession.

     A monument was erected to Nathaniel CHIPMAN which was dedicated October 3, 1873. It stands on an eminence about one-half mile east of the hamlet in Tinmouth; it is twenty-two feet high, the base being white and the shaft clouded marble from the Sutherland Falls quarries; it bears the following inscription: 

"State of Vermont, 
Born in Salisbury, Conn.,
November 15, 1752.
Died in Tinmouth, Vt.,
February 15, 1843

A principal founder of the civil institutions of
this State, and framer of its fundamental laws.
Eminent as a Lawyer, Judge, Legislator and 
Statesman, for his ability, learning and fidelity,
and as a citizen for his purity of life. 
Graduated at Yale College, 1777.
An officer in the War of the Revolution. 
Came to Tinmouth, April 10, 1779.
A member of the Rutland County Bar.
Chief Justice of Vermont for five years. 
U. S. District judge two years.
U. S. Senator six years.
One of the commissioners who negotiated 
the admission of Vermont into the Union, 1791."

      The old farm which was occupied by Nathaniel CHIPMAN is now in possession of Bartlett STAFFORD. When Mr. CHIPMAN took possession of his father's farm in 1781, he built a forge for the manufacture of bar iron; for several years he divided his attention between his profession (having been admitted to the bar in 1779), the farm and the forge. He finally sold all his real estate to his brother Darius, removed to Rutland and entered upon his long and eminent career, as elsewhere detailed.

      Cephas SMITH was an early settler and an industrious farmer. He removed to Hanover that he might educate his sons, Cephas and Cyrus, in Dartmouth; they studied for the law, Cephas locating in Rutland and Cyrus in Vergennes. When the education of his sons was finished, the elder Cephas removed back to his log house in Tinmouth.

      Bethuel CHITTENDEN, an Episcopal clergyman and brother of the first governor of Vermont, preached in the town for many years. He cleared a farm„ and in company with Major ROYCE built the first saw-mill in the town. He: removed to Chittenden county in 1790.

      There were four brothers named CRAMTON who settled early in this town, of whom Neri was, perhaps, the most conspicuous. He was one of Ethan ALLENS men at the capture of Ticonderoga. He was subsequently captured by Burgoyne's men with a scouting party. lHe could not escape except by accepting protection under Burgoyne. He returned home, and the day before the battle at Bennington had proceeded on his way with his family as far as Arlington, on their way to Litchfield. Becoming convinced there was to be a battle, he left his family and went to Bennington to take part in the engagement. He was told that if he should be captured he would be hung. He replied that he would never be taken again alive, and he fought bravely in the battle with, his heroic compatriots. He lived about one and one-half miles north of the center of the town, and has descendants now living here.

      Stephen RICE was one of the earliest and most successful farmers in the community. One of his grandsons, Levi RICE, now lives in the town. 

      Elisha CLARK, who has been named as one of the Revolutionary soldiers from this town, was a man of unusual mental and physical vigor. At the close of the war he returned to Tinmouth, In 1786 he was appointed probate judge for the Rutland district and held the office nineteen years in succession. He had a numerous and respected family. Dr. Philetus CLARK was a son and spent most of his life in Tinmouth, becoming eminent in his profession. He has posterity in Tinmouth and elsewhere, some of whom have also become conspicuous. He lived to be about ninety-five years of age.

      Obadiah NOBLE, mentioned among the early settlers, was a graduate of New Jersey College, and a Congregational minister in New Hampshire before he came to Tinmouth. When Rutland county was organized he was appointed clerk of the court, which office he held ten years. He was the first justice of the peace of Tinmouth after the county organization and held the office nineteen years. Himself and his wife both reached the age of ninety years. One of his sons was Hon. Obadiah NOBLE, who died in 1864 at the age of eighty-seven. He was justice of the peace in this town thirty-eight years; register of probate in 1799; judge of probate from 1814 to 1828; assistant judge of the county court from 1839 to 1842 inclusive; represented the town six years, and was senator in 1838-39. He was a man of eminent good sense and practical judgment and of spotless character.

      Samuel MATTOCKS came to the town early from Westford, Conn. He was a captain in the Revolutionary army, but resigned when he came to Tinmouth. He represented the town in the Legislature four years from about 1780; was two years a councilor and seven years a Rutland county judge. In 1787 he was appointed treasurer of the State, continuing in that office thirteen years. His youngest son was made governor of the State.

      Ebenezer MARVIN, the pioneer, was a physician and represented the town five years; he was judge of the Rutland county court six years; was chief judge when he removed into Chittenden county, becoming chief judge there, and later in Franklin county he held the same office.

      Thomas PORTER (called Captain Porter when he first came to Tinmouth) represented the town. three years about the beginning of the century and was a member of the council eleven years; judge of the county two years and judge of the Supreme Court three years. He was an eminent and successful man, and lived to the age of ninety-nine years. Dr. PORTER, who so long presided over the theological institution at Andover, was his son.

      Major Stephen ROYCE, whose name has been mentioned among the earliest settlers, was a prominent man in the community; had a large family, some of whom became conspicuous in the State.

      John IRISH and his tragic fate merit some attention from the historian. He and his brother William lived in the north part of the town on adjoining farms, and built their houses but a little distance apart and near the road which ran parallel to the line fence between their farms. When the news of the surrender of Ticonderoga reached Tinmouth on the 1st of July, 1777, a great part of the inhabitants started southward into Arlington, Shaftsbury and Bennington. Those who did remain on their farms sought protection, as a rule, from Burgoyne. Among these were the two brothers IRISH. A little later the council of safety sent a scouting party consisting of Captain Ebenezer ALLEN, Lieutenant Isaac CLARK, and John TRAIN and Phineas CLOUGH, private soldiers, into Tinmouth to learn what was going on among the "Protectioners" and to reconnoiter a Tory camp in East Clarendon. These men were personal acquaintances of the IRISH brothers. When the party arrived in the west part of Tinmouth they were informed that it was suspected the two brothers were about joining the Tories and that the shortest route to the Clarendon camp would pass their dwellings. They accordingly took that road. As they approached IRISH's clearing, ALLEN directed CLOUGH to give his gun to TRAIN, go on and ask William IRISH the nearest road to the Tory camp, at the same time telling him that he (CLOUGH) had decided to go and join the Tories. When CLOUGH arrived at the house he found both brothers and made the statement according to his orders. CLOUGH was told that he must consider himself a prisoner; that they would see about his joining the Tories. William then directed John to take CLOUGH home with him, and he would soon follow and help take care of him. John had an Indian tomahawk in his hand and told CLOUGH to walk along with him; they walked on toward John's house, he with the uplifted tomahawk in his hand. When ALLEN saw this from his place of concealment, he said to TRAIN: "We must get as near as we can to John's house without being discovered." He and TRAIN started by one path and CLARK crawled along behind the brush fence, the three meeting near the house undiscovered. Here ALLEN gave directions that under no circumstances was either of them to fire until he did. He then stationed himself about two rods north of the path; CLARK about the same distance south of it, and TRAIN fifteen or twenty rods farther east, all being hidden behind trees. They had not waited long before CLOUGH stepped from the door and, after looking about, started for the woods. He had got partly over the fence when IRISH came out, partly dressed, with a gun in one hand and powder-horn in the other. He called out to CLOUGH to stop or he would shoot him. While in the act of raising his gun, apparently, to carry out the threat, ALLEN shot him through his left hand, knocking his gun from him. IRISH then turned around so as to face CLARK, who shot him through the heart. The party, after killing IRISH, went on to Clarendon, and after reconnoitering the Tory camp, returned to Arlington.

      It is, perhaps, proper to state that different versions of this affair have been given, one of which is to the effect that ALLEN went to the dwelling-place of IRISH for the express purpose of killing him; but the details as given above come down to us upon the authority of judge Obadiah NOBLE, and probably should be given credence.

      With the mention of a few other settlers in this town, at later dates, we will conclude this feature of the history. Samuel L. VALENTINE came in 1814 and located in the south part, on the place now owned by two of his daughters, Rebecca and Hannah VALENTINE. He died there in 1856.

      John WOODS came in from Rhode Island in 1805 and settled in the south part of the town, where his son, John C., still lives. George CAPRON settled in the town in 1798, near the center, and died there in 1861. He was town clerk about forty years. John COBB came to Tinmouth in 1814 and located where y Linus VALENTINE lives; he built that house in 1814. His son, Lyman COBB, located on the farm where he now lives in 1835. Payne GILBERT came in from Brookfield, Mass., early in the century and lived and died in the large gambrel-roofed building erected by Joseph NEWELL, about three-fourths of a mile south of where his son, Dexter GILBERT, now lives. Another son, Leonard, also spent a long life in the town. Alvin HOADLEY came to the town in 1805 from New Haven, Conn., and settled at the center of the town. He was a noted blacksmith; honest and industrious, and blunt in his manner. Judge NICHOLSON, of Rutland, relates the following: Mr. HOADLEY started, in company with Deacon NICHOLSON, for New Haven, on business. They stopped the first night at Pownal, which was a good day's walk. At the hotel they found, as is sometimes the case, some local bullies, who took it upon themselves to abuse another traveler whose appearance indicated that he was poor and unfortunate. The roughs carried on their impositions until Deacon NICHOLSON became indignant, and at first offered a gentle remonstrance against such proceedings. But HOADLEY, with characteristic bluntness, exclaimed: " Boys, what in h-ll do you want with this traveler?" This was a signal for the head bully to answer, in an overbearing manner: "D n you, are you goin' to take it up?" Quick as a flash HOADLEY, struck him between the eyes, and as the fellow turned a back somersault, HOADLEY, said: "No, but you have got to take yourself up!” It used to be said that the "word of a HOADLEY, was good in the dark!" Three of Alvin's sons live in the county, two in Tinmouth and one in Middletown.  Jared IVES came into this town in 1789 with his father and settled where Orson IVES now lives. Archibald NORTON settled in the west part of the town about the year 1800.

      The following information concerning a few of the early residents of the town was furnished us by judge D. E. NICHOLSON, of Rutland; Erastus BARKER came to the town several years before the beginning of the century, and became wealthy and prominent. He occupied for a time the house in which Dexter GILBERT lives. Fred BARRETT and Mrs. E. W. GRAY, of Middletown, are his grandchildren, and there are others in the county.

      Elias SALISBURY lived two houses south of Mr. BARKER, on the opposite side of the road; at an earlier day he lived in the south part of the town where Ira PHILLIPS lived and died. He was justice of the peace and represented the town. He and Mr. BARKER were political rivals and although at first strong friends, allowed their feelings to prejudice them. On one occasion SALISBURY's cart broke down at a critical time in his farm labor; he went over to borrow Mr. BARKER's; the latter told the messenger, "Say to Squire Salisbury to get his cart of his political friends." A few days later BARKER's fanning-mill refused to do its duty and he was forced to ask a loan of Mr. SALISBURY's. The answer sent back was, "Tell Squire BARKER to fan up his grain in his d d old cart!" Mr. SALISBURY had a large family of sons and daughters. One of the sons, John, was major in the 10th Vermont Regiment and is now an invalid in Washington, from the effects of his service in the field.

      Henry NICHOLSON came from Lanesborough, Mass., about 1780, bringing with him his boy, Spencer NICHOLSON, then about three years old, father of Judge D. E. NICHOLSON. Spencer NICHOLSON became a prominent citizen, both of Tinmouth and Middletown. In Tinmouth he built the house on the east street, on what is known as the BALLARD place. He later built a house on "the HOADLEY place," on the west road. In Middletown he purchased and lived on the place now owned by James RICHARDSON. Of his sons, Hon. D. E. NICHOLSON has been a prominent lawyer and is now one of the judges of the County Court. Anson A. NICHOLSON, his youngest son, was also an eminent attorney and a writer of some ability. (See history of the bench and bar of the county.)

      Perhaps with the names that must appear as we proceed with the history of the town, we have traced the early inhabitants, and through them their descendants, as far we are justified. The reader cannot but have noticed that very many men who have occupied stations of prominence in life, were brought up in Tinmouth.


      Dr. Ebenezer MARVIN was, doubtless, the first practicing physician in the town; and Dr. HAMILTON was in practice here in early-years, but moved away soon. Dr. Theophilus CLARK was an honor to his profession in the town for many years, and lived to be more than ninety-five years of age. He was in practice about seventy years. Other physicians who were born in Tinmouth were Dr. A. S. CLARK, Dr. Ebenezer PORTER, Dr. M. O. PORTER and Dr. George M. NOBLE. There is no resident physician in the town at the present time. 


      We have already mentioned two or three lawyers who practiced in Tinmouth. Nathaniel CHIPMAN, David E. NICHOLSON and his brother, Anson A., were among them. John MATTOCKS was one of the first lawyers born in town. Marcus P. NORTON, A. B. WALDO, now of Port Henry, N. Y. H. BALLARD and Alfred BALLARD, and the Hon. Stephen ROYCE, were natives this town. But the peaceable character of the population in this agricultural district is such that little litigation arises demanding the presence of an attorney.

      Anson NICHOLSON practiced his profession many years in the town of Brandon and subsequently removed to Rutland. He was a man of exceptional intellect, a writer of great brilliancy and a man of fine sensibilities; but his health was never rugged and he died while still a young man.

      Alfred Cowles BALLARD was born in Tinmouth in 1834 and graduated from the University of Vermont in 1859; after serving honorably in the war in the 9th Vermont Regiment, he entered the Albany Law School and graduated in 1865. He died in 1879, at the age of forty years.

      Henry BALLARD was born in Tinmouth in 1836; graduated from the Vermont University in 1861; served one year in the 5th Vermont Volunteers and graduated from the Albany Law School in May, 1863. He was admitted to the Chittenden county bar at Burlington in September, 1864.


      The early measures towards providing the inhabitants with religious services have been described. The St. Stephen's Church was organized in this town in 1837; but there had been Episcopal services for many years previous. Tinmouth was the first place of residence in Vermont of Rev. Bethuel CHITTENDEN, and he formed the little parish some years before the beginning of the century. In 1790 the church was represented in the convention at Arlington by Elisha HAMILTON, and in 1793 it was represented at Pawlet by Ebenezer MARVIN. In 1803 Abraham GILLETT and Elisha ANDREWS were delegates to the annual convention. Mr. CHITTENDEN served the parish more or less until his death in 1809. The parish had subsequent occasional services by various pastors from Pawlet, Wells and Poultney. Upon the reorganization in 1837 Rev. Darwin B. MASON officiated for a year, one half of the time. The number of communicants was then twelve. In 1838 he was succeeded by Rev. Luman FOOTE. Since that year the church has had no regular services and is now practically abandoned.

      The church building has passed into control of a Methodist Episcopal society in which Rev. Mr. HITCHCOCK is the pastor, being engaged on his second year. Previous to this there was occasional Congregational preaching in the church.


      The peace and prosperity of the inhabitants of this town was undisturbed from the time when the echoes of the War of 1812-15 died away, until the breaking out of the great civil war. The forests were during that period cleared away, the farms brought to a high state of cultivation and all of the material interests of the people advanced; but when the call came for volunteers this town, in common with all the others of the county, was not backward in its support of the government. The following list gives the names of the volunteers from Tinmouth, as nearly as they are known : 

      Volunteers for three years credited previous to the call for 300,000 volunteers of October 17, 1863. -- Alfred C. BALLARD, George W. BATISE, 9th regt.; Henry BALLARD, co. I, 5th regt.; James BURNS, co. C, 10th regt.; Stephen L. BUXTON, cav.; Elias E. CLARK, co I, 5th regt.; Job COREY, Stephen COREY, co. H, cav.; Dwight W. EDDY, Nathaniel GILLETT, co. I, 5th regt.; William H. GRACE, co. C, 10th regt.; Arthur W. HATHAWAY, co. B, 9th regt.; John G. HOUSEY, 10th regt.; Alonzo LEVINS, co. H, 6th regt.; Henry MATTOCKS, co. F, 1st s. s.; Charles MCCARTY, co. I, 7th regt.; Charles T. MINOR, co. G, 5th regt.; James MINOR, co. C, 10th regt.; Aden MUNSON, cav.; Ira A. NICHOLSON, Nathan B. NICHOLSON, co. B, 5th regt.; Rufus NICHOLSON, co. B, 9th regt.; Charles M. NOBLE, Charles PACKARD, co. C, 10th regt.; Edwin PHILLIPS, co. G, 6th regt.; Ephraim PHILLIPS, co. B, 6th regt.; George PHILLIPS, co. I, 7th regt.; John A. SALISBURY, co, C, 10th regt.; Moses W. SHIPPEY, co. L, 10th regt.; Nathan SPAULDING, co. B, 9th regt.; Edwin A. TAYLOR, co. B, 2d regt.

      Credits under call of October 17, 1862, for 300,000 volunteers and subsequent calls. Volunteers for three years. -- Deforest F. DOTY, Medad HUBBARD, co. B, 9th regt.; Stephen M. PACKARD, co. C, 10th regt.; Martin V. WILLIAMS, 5th regt.

      Volunteers for one year -- Edwin BUTCHER, Lucius GROVER, 9th regt.; George H. HALL, co. I, 2d regt.; Judah D. HALL, co. C, 10th regt.; Julius HART, co. C, 9th regt.; Charles L. STIMPSON, cav.; Frederick B. WILKINS, co. C, 11th regt.; Hiram S. UTLEY, co. C, 9th regt.

      Volunteers re-enlisted. -- Nathaniel GILLETT, Alonzo LEVINS.

      Volunteers for nine months. -- Orange M. HART, Henry E. HUNTINGDON, Joel M. ROGERS, John C. THOMAS, co. B, 14th regt.

      Furnished under draft and paid commutation. -- Rollin COOK, Edward CROSBY,  Lucius GROVER, George A. JACKSON, Cephas A. YOUNG. Entered service, A. M STAFFORD.

      The following statistics show the population of Tinmouth at the different dates given, and illustrate the influence upon the community of lack of railroad communications and other promoters of growth: 1791, 935; 1800, 973; 1810, 1,001; 1820, 1,009; 1830, 1,049; 1840, 781; 1850, 7I7; 1860, 620; 1870, 589; 1880, 532.

      Following are the names of the town officers in 1865: Henry D. NOBLE, moderator; Isaac D. TUBBS, town clerk; Clark NORTON, Bartlett STAFFORD and Cyrus CRAMTON, selectmen; Levi RICE, treasurer; Isaac D. TUBBS, overseer o the poor; Elias E. CLARK, constable; Isaac D. TUBBS, Dwight YOUNG and Dexter HATHAWAY, listers; John T. BALLARD, Cephas YOUNG and John PICKETT auditors; Cyrus CRAMTON, trustee; Don STEVENS, William RIORDAN and William PICKETT, fence viewers; Allen GILLCREASE, Cephas YOUNG and Henry D. NOBLE, grand jurors; Nathan LEONARD, inspector of leather; A. N. CRAMTON, Edmond VALENTINE, and William GROVER, pound-keepers; Levi RICE, town agent.


      Tinmouth has no village history of any especial importance. The hamlet bearing the same name as the town is situated near the center, but its business interests have never been large. Following the saw-mills of early times, these necessary establishments which enabled the settlers to build houses and barns became a few tanneries, asheries and grist-mills; but many of these have passed away. On the site of HOADLEY's saw and grist-mill, Thomas ROGERS had similar mills in the early part of the century. HOADLEY's mills are located about a mile south of the central part of the town, and are now owned by Evander HOADLEY.

      A furnace and forge were built in the north part of the town previous to the yar 1800, and were carried on by Major WILLARD and Abner PERRY.  Wait RATHEBONE operated it later and then William BOND.  It was burned many years ago. RATHBONE also built another forge on Tinmouth River near the center of the town and took William VAUGHAN in as a partner. Under the firm name of Rathbone & Vaughan they did a large business for a number of years, in the manufacture of stoves, hollow ware, etc.  These furnaces were supplied with ore from the Tinmouth bed, and considerable of the ore was sent out of town to other manufactories. PACKARD’s saw and grist-mills are situated nearly on the site of this last named furnace, and do a line of custom work; they were formerly run by William and Alpheus PACKARD, and now by William PACKARD.  J. P. MARANVILLE had a saw-mill in the northwest part of the town, but it ceased operation a few years since.  Nelson STINEHOUR has a saw and grist-mill near the center of the town; the grist-mill has one run of stones and the saw-mill a capacity for cutting from 2,000 to 3,000 feet per day.

      The manufacture of cheese has assumed paramount importance in the industries of this town, and a number of successful factories are and have been in operation. The Union Cheese Factory, built nearly ten years ago, is located in West Tinmouth and operated by a stock company, comprising Orson and Enoch IVES, Cephas YOUNG, Clark NORTON and others. It is now in successful operation. The Cold Spring Cheese Factory was first built about 1867; was burned ad rebuilt in 1873. It is located about one-half mile east of the center of the town. A stock company was organized in 1873, with a capital of $2,450. Dexter GILBERT Levi RICE and Lyman COBB have been most prominent in the company. This factory has been very successful and manufactures in the neighborhood of 100,000 pounds of cheese annually. The directors are Levi RICE, Bartlett STAFFORD and Samuel NOBLE.

      The Eureka Cheese Factory is in the northeast part of the town and was built in 1875 by a stock company, and substantially the same company operates it now, under direction of John BALLARD.

      The VALENTINE Cheese Factory was built in 1875 by Linus E. and Edmund VALENTINE ; it is not now in operation. The same may be said of H. CLARK's factory, which was built in 1867.

      The post-office in Tinmouth was, of course, established in the very early history of the town. William BOND was one of the early postmasters, since which there have been numerous changes. Mrs. Tabitha SAWYER, widow of Noah W. SAWYER, now fills the office and has for a number of years.

      Tinmouth is isolated from railroad communication with other Points; its trade and manufacturing interests have suffered on this account, as well as its other material interests. This is all shown in vivid colors in the population statistics given on another page. The school in West Tinmouth, which once had an average attendance of one hundred and twenty-five scholars, has now but about an average of thirteen. 

History of Rutland County Vermont: with Illustrations &
Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
Edited by H. Y. Smith & W. S. Rann
Syracuse, N. Y.
D. Mason & Co., Publishers 1886
History of the Town of Tinmouth
(Pages - 819 - 831)

Transcribed by Karima 2002

     The settlement was commenced here about the year 1770. Among the first settlers were Thomas Peck and John McNeal. This town was organized March 11, 1777.  Soon after, the following oath of allegiance was imposed upon the freemen of the town. 

       "You each of you swear, by the living God, that you believe for yourselves that the King of Great Britain hath not any right to command, or authority in or over the States of America, and that you do not hold yourselves bound to yield any allegiance or obedience to him within the same, and that you will, to the utmost of your power, maintain and defend the freedom, independence and privileges of the United States of America against all open enemies, or traitors, or conspirators whatsoever; so help you God."

Gazetteer of Vermont, by John Hayward
(Boston, 1849).


Childs' Business Directory of the Town of Tinmouth, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82
Childs' History of the Town of Tinmouth, Rutland County, VT., 1881-82