Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

 


 

Date of Charter ~ 23 June 1762
 

Other Towns, Villages, Hamlets: 
Great Averill Pond and Small Averill Pond
 
 

  Averill is a sparsely settled township, lying in the extreme northern part of the county.   It has an area of about thirty-six square miles, and is bounded on the northeast by Canaan, southeast by Lemington, southwest by Lewis, and northwest by Norton. Its charter was granted June 23, 1762. It is watered by a considerable branch of the Nulhegan river, several streams which fall into the Connecticut, and some which pass off northerly into Canada. It also has several ponds. 

  The surface of the town is less hilly and broken than most towns in the county, and the soil is said to be very good, being well adapted for growing grain and hay, yet very little of the land has ever been cleared, though a large amount of fine timber has been cut. A turnpike was built through the northern part of the town, from Canaan to Norton Mills, many years ago, and a new road from Wallace pond was built about two years since, which joins it on the northwestern line. Upon these roads some half dozen families have settled. Upon the northwestern shore of Great Averill pond is the steam saw-mill of the Averill Lumber Company. This company consists of G.H. Fitzgerald and E.C. Robinson, of Island Pond, who give employment to about fifty men in the manufacture of rough lumber, lath and clapboards. 
 
 

(Source: Gazetteer of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 389)

This excerpt was provided by Tom Dunn.

 
There is no town clerk in Averill.


 Historic USGS Maps of Averill, Vermont
 Vermont Genealogy Resources ~ Averill Township
 


 


 

 

 

This site is Copyrighted To Karima © 2002-2010
For information or questions concerning submitting material for this web site, or volunteering
please contact the Essex County Coordinator.

Karima

 

Part of the USGen Web Project