town is watered by the third branch of White River, and Ayers’ and Mill
Brook, its tributaries. They are all sufficient for mills. Ayers’
Brook rises in Roxbury and Brookfield, waters the north-east part of the
town, and after receiving Mill Brook from the west, unites with the third
branch of the White River, just below the west village in Randolph.
Between Ayer’s Brook and the third branch, is a large swell of land, and
when Mr. Ebenezer Waters was surveying the township he said to those with
him, “We will sit down here and dine with our hats on and call it Quaker
Hill,” and it has ever since been known by that name.
the third branch and the head of White River, is a considerable mountain,
which renders that part of the township incapable of settlement.
According to tradition, Ayers’ Brook derives its name from a person by
the name of Ayers, who, having run away from New England, became a guide
to the French and Indians in their expeditions against the English, but
who was taken and executed near this stream, about the year 1755.
Northerly by Roxbury and Bloomfield, easterly by Randolph, southerly by
Bethel, and westerly by Granville.
Settlers. The settlement of the town was commenced about the year
1783, by Silas Flint, Samuel Bass, Jacob and Samuel Spear, and others,
emigrants from Braintree and Sutton, Mass. S. Flint’s
wife was the first woman who came into the town and received in consequence
a present of 100 acres of land from the proprietors. Hirman, son
of Samuel Bass, was the first child born in town. The first proprietor’s
meeting held within the town was at the house of Jacob Spear, September
19, 1786. The town was organized March 7, 1788, and Elijah French
was the first town clerk. It was first represented by Isaac Nichols
Ministers. The Rev. Aaron Cleveland was settled over the Congregational
Church in 1801, and dismissed in 1807. The Rev. Ammi Nichols was
settled in 1807.
Twenty-one miles south from Montpelier, and fourteen west by south from
Chelsea. The Northern Railroad passes through this town.
of Vermont, by John Hayward, 1849, p. 30-31)