township lies nearly on the height of land between White and Winooski Rivers,
and parts of it are broken; but it is mostly fit for cultivation and is
very productive, particularly in grass. It is well watered with springs
and brooks, but has no very good mill privileges. The principal stream
is the second branch of White River, which originates in Williamstown,
in conjunction with Stevens’ branch of Winooski River, and runs through
the eastern part of this town into Randolph.
are several considerable ponds, some of which afford streams, a considerable
part of the year, sufficient for mills and other machinery. Colt’s
Pond, near the north village, is crossed by a floating bridge twenty-five
rods long. Around and at the bottom of a small pond, in the west
part of the town, is an inexhaustible quantity of marl, from which very
good lime is manufactured.
North by Williamstown, east by Chelsea, south by Randolph and a part of
Braintree, and west by Roxbury.
Settlers. The first settlement of this town was begun in 1779, by
Shubal Cross and family. Mrs. Cross was the first woman who came
into town, and on that account was presented by the proprietors with 100
acres of land. Mr. Howard’s family came in about the same time, and
Caleb Martin, John Lyman, Jonathan Pierce, John and Noah Payne, and several
others, came in soon after. The early settlers were principally from
Connecticut. Capt. Cross built the first grist and saw mill.
Ministers. A Congregational Church was organized here in 1787, and
the Rev. Elijah Lyman was ordained over it in 1789, and continued pastor
till his death, which took place in 1828.
Forty miles north by west from Windsor, and sixteen south from Montpelier.
of Vermont, by John Hayward, 1849, p. 36)