~ 7 June 1763
are two small ponds in this town . . . The principal streams of this town
are the River Lamoille . . . Mallet's Creek . . . Indian Creek . . . and
Winooski River. In the middle part of the town is a large tract of pine
plain, most covered with pitch pine and small oaks . . . The
settlement of this town was commenced in 1774, at the Lower Falls on Winooski
or Onion River, by Ira Allen and Remember Baker. Baker's family, consisting
of a wife and three children, was the first in town. In 1775, Joshua Staunton
began improvements on the intervale above the Narrows in that river, and
there was a small clearing made at Mallet's Bay before the revolution.
From the spring of 1776, the town was abandoned by the settlers till after
the close of the war, in 1783, when Messrs. McLain, Low and Boardman, settled
on Colchester Point, and Gen. Allen returned and renewed the settlement
at the Falls. Allen erected mills, a forge and a shop for fabricating anchors,
and the place soon assumed the appearance of a considerable village. The
town was organized about the year 1791, and Ira Allen was first town clerk."
of Vermont, Hayward, 1849)
is Copyrighted To Karima © 2002
or questions concerning submitting material for this web site, or volunteering
the Chittenden County Coordinator.
Part of the
USGen Web Project.