lies in the extreme southern part of the county, in lat. 44º 25',
and long. 5º 8', and is bounded north by Victory, northeast by Lunenburgh,
southeast by the Connecticut river, southwest by Waterford, and northwest
by Kirby, the latter towns being in Caledonia county. In area it is one
of the largest towns in the county. It was granted November 7, 1780, and
chartered September 15, 1781, to Reuben Jones and sixty-four others, under
the usual restrictions and reservations of the Vermont charters.
is decidedly an agricultural town. A large portion of the territory
is stony and uneven, but the soil is very strong and fertile. On both the
Connecticut and Moose rivers are fine meadows, and the whole township is
abundantly supplied with never-failing springs of pure soft water. Among
the streams are Hall's brook, issuing from Hall's pond in the southwesterly
part of the town; Miles stream, issuing from Miles pond in the northwesterly
part; Mink brook, near the center; Moose river, in the westerly part; and
with the Connecticut river many fine mill sites are afforded. Hall's pond
is a beautiful sheet of water more than a mile in length and about a half
mile in width. Miles pond is considerably larger. It lies just southwest
of Miles mountain, the highest elevation of land in the town. These ponds
are well stocked with fish. Brooks pond is a small sheet of water in the
central part. The greatest natural curiosity of the township is Miles cave,
a cavern in the Miles mountain, which has never been fully explored.
Concord is a flourishing post village, located in the western part of the
town on Moose river, eight miles from St. Johnsbury, and is also a station
on the P. & O. R.R. It was founded by John D. Chase, who built a dwelling
and saw-mill, here, in 1838, and with Levi Howe a gristmill in 1840.
Corner (Concord p. o.) is a post village located in the southwesterly part
of the town east of Hallís pond. It was formerly a place of considerable
business importance, with a flourishing trade with adjoining towns.
Concord (p. o.) is a station on a branch of the P. & O. R.R.. It has
a store and extensive lumber mills.
Concord (p. o.) is also a railroad station and has one church (Methodist
Episcopal) three stores, two lumber-mills, and about twenty dwellings.
Pond (p. o.), a railroad station at the foot of Miles pond, has extensive
timber mills and about a dozen dwellings.
Gazetteer of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, Compiled and
Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887)