~ 7 June 1763
Essex Center, Pages Corner
are no mountains, and but few hills in this township. The south and western
parts are timbered principally with pine, the soil is dry and sandy, but
produces good rye and corn. The remaining part of the township is timbered
with hard wood, and is more natural to grass . . . The first permanent
settlement was made in this township in 1783, by Messrs. Smiths, Winchels,
and Willard. The first settlers were principally from Salisbury, Connecticut.
In 1789, there was a very great scarcity of provisions in this part of
the country, and the settlers suffered extremely on that account."
of Vermont, Hayward, 1849)
is Copyrighted To Karima © 2002
or questions concerning submitting material for this web site, or volunteering
the Chittenden County Coordinator.
Part of the
USGen Web Project.