of Grant or Charter ~ 27 October 1789
Towns, Villages, Hamlets:
island in the western part of the county. It was chartered by this name
to Benjamin Wait and others, October 27, 1789, containing 4,620 acres.
The name was altered to Vineyard, November 1, 1802, and again altered to
Isle La Motte, November 6, 1830. The settlement of this town was
commenced about the year 1785. Among the early settlers were Ebenezer Hyde,
Enoch Hall, William Blanchard, and Ichabod Fitch. The town was organized
about the year 1790. There are no streams on the island. A marsh
extends across it from east to west, which abounds with excellent cedar."
of Vermont, Hayward, 1849.
is Copyrighted To Karima © 2002
or questions concerning submitting material for this web site, or volunteering
the Grand Isle County Coordinator.
Part of the
USGen Web Project.