~ 8 June 1763
Jericho Center, Riverside.
Hampshire grant of 23,040 acres to Edward Burling
associates, June 7, 1763.
incorporated with parts of Williston and New Huntington
October 27, 1794.
united with part of Underhill for school purposes, 1812.
is watered with springs and brooks . . . On all these streams are good
alluvial flats, and the mill privileges are good, but the best and most
numerous are on Brown's River, near the west village.
The soil and timber is various in different parts. It is a good farming
town, and well adapted to raising most kinds of grain and grass. There
is a village at the center of the town, containing a good brick church,
owned by the First Congregational Society, an academy, together with a
number of buildings scattered around a handsome common, given by Lewis
Chapin, one of the early settlers for that purpose. There is another
flourishing village at the corners, in the westerly part of town . . .
The settlement of Jericho was commenced in 1774 by Messrs. Messenger, Rood
and Brown, with their families, from the western part of Massachusetts;
but the settlement was mostly abandoned during the revolution. Mr.
Brown settled on the flats near Underhill, on what is now called Brown's
of Vermont, Hayward, 1849)
is Copyrighted To Karima © 2002
or questions concerning submitting material for this web site, or volunteering
the Chittenden County Coordinator.
Part of the
USGen Web Project.