Lemington lies in the northeastern
part of the county, in lat. 44º 53' and long. 5º 22', and is
bounded north by Canaan, east by the Connecticut river, south by Bloomfield,
and west by Averill. It was surveyed by Eben W. Judd in 1786,
and contained by measurement 23,040 acres; and about 600 acres have since
been annexed from Canaan, making the present area nearly 24,000 acres.
Its charter was granted by Governor Benning Wentworth, of New Hampshire,
in 1762, to Samuel Averill and sixty-three others.
the exception of the intervals on the Connecticut river the surface of
the town is generally rough and rocky. The highest point of land is the
Monadnock mountain of Vermont, which attains an altitude of about 3,000
feet. From its summit a magnificent prospect may be obtained. Several streams
flow east and empty into the Connecticut.
Lemington had a population of 222. In 1886 it had four school districts
and three common schools, employing one male and four female teachers,
to whom was paid an average weekly salary, including board, of $3.50 and
$4.00 respectively. There were ninety-four scholars, two of whom attended
private schools. The total income for school purposes was $276.90, while
the entire expenditures were $343.47, with G. Blodgett, superintendent.
(p. o.) is located in the eastern part of the town. Mills De Forest,
the first permanent settler of the town, moved here from Huntington, Conn.,
about 1781. He built the first framed house in the town, in 1790,
the first saw-mill in 1795, and the first grist-mill, in 1810. He
was the first town clerk, and held the office of representative several
terms. He died in 1844, aged seventy-nine years.
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887,
Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887)