lies in the eastern part of the county, in lat. 44º 30í and long.
5º 19', and is bounded northeast by Brunswick, east by the Connecticut
river, southwest by Guildhall and Granby, and west by Ferdinand.
It was chartered by Governor Wentworth, of New Hampshire, October 12, 1761.
lands along the Connecticut river are among the best, and probably no town
in the state has more valuable bottom lands than Maidstone. The uplands
are mountainous and rocky, and not well adapted to purposes of cultivation.
The town is well watered. West pond, in the northwest corner, and Maidstone
lake, a beautiful sheet of water in the western part, three miles in length
and one in width, afford an ample supply for milling purposes. Being well
stocked with fish, these bodies of water are destined to become a favorite
resort for pleasure seekers.
Maidstone had a population of 286. In 1886 the town had four school districts
and four common schools, employing one male and eight female teachers,
who received an average weekly salary, including board of $3.13 and $6.23,
respectively. There were sixty scholars attending school. The entire income
for school purposes was $522.56, while the whole, amount expended was $534.76,
with Jennie K. Stanley, superintendent.
has no village, no postoffice, no store, tavern, lawyer, minister nor doctor.
It depends upon its neighboring towns for all these facilities. It
is simply a quiet, peaceable and healthful agricultural community.
of Maidstone was probably commenced in 1772, but its population has increased
but slowly. In 1791 it had 125 souls, nearly half what it contains
today. The early settlement was attended with great difficulties.
The nearest place where provisions could be had, grain ground or a horse
shod was at Haverhill, N. H., fifty miles down the river. If the freight
could not be brought on horseback, the journey must be made on the river,
as the best road was a bridle path marked by blazed trees. The first settlers
were Arthur and Thomas Wooster, who received from the proprietorís one
hundred acres of land each.
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887,
Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887)