~ 8 June 1763
Village, Milton, Miltonboro, West Milton.
for the poet, John Milton.
is bounded on the west by Lake Champlain, and is finely watered by the
River Lamoille. The soil of the town is generally good. There are some
places in Miltonworthy of the traveler's notice.
A little distance from the neat and flourishing village are the Great Falls,
on the Lamoille. In the course of fifty rods the whole river falls 150
feet. About the middle of the rapid is a small island, by which the water
passes on each side, with great violence and loud roaring. The scenery
on the banks of the river is wild and beautiful. There are some mills on
the river, and considerable trade on the lake. There is another pleasant
village two miles west of the falls, called Checker-Berry . . . The settlement
of Milton was commenced Feb. 15, 1782, by William Irish, Leonard Owen,
Amos Mansfield, Absalom Taylor and Thomas Dewey, Enoch and Elisha Ashley,
and others. The first settlers suffered many privations and hardships,
but there is nothing in the early history which is peculiarly interesting."
of Vermont, Hayward, 1849)
is Copyrighted To Karima © 2002
or questions concerning submitting material for this web site, or volunteering
the Chittenden County Coordinator.
Part of the
USGen Web Project.