Date of Grant or Charter ~ 

" . . . the charter was destroyed by fire many years ago. It matters little, however, when this charter was granted, for its conditions must have necessarily been violated as the town had no settler previous to 1860." 

Hamilton Child, 1887


    Norton lies in the extreme northwestern corner of the county, in lat. 44º 58', and long. 5º, 6, and is bounded north by the Canada line, east by Averill, south by Warner's Grant*, Warren's Gore** and ***Avery's Gore, and  west by Holland, in Orleans county. When the town was chartered, or to whom, we are unable to state, for the charter was destroyed by fire many years ago. It matters little, however, when this charter was granted, for its conditions must have necessarily been violated as the town had no settler previous to 1860. 

     The surface of the land is rough and uneven and heavily timbered. The soil is said to be good and durable. Two ponds of considerable extent lie in the northern part of the township. The outlet of Norton pond is the head branch of Coatacook river, which unites with the Massippi, in Askot, and then unites with the St. Frances, at Lennoxville. Farrands river, also, heads here and runs south. 

    Norton Mills (p. o.), located in the northern part of the town, on the G.T. railroad, is the only village in the, township. It has a store, steam mill, and about thirty dwellings. Woodard & Lyster's steam saw-mill is located in the eastern part of the town on road 2, near the town of Averill. It was built by R.M. Woodard and W.L. Ball.  It was commenced October 1, 1874, and finished in April, 1875. Shortly after it was finished Mr. Woodard bought out his partner and was its proprietor until August, 1885, when a half interest was sold to P.R. Lyster. The mill is operated by steam, furnishing employment for about seventy men, and cutting about 25,000 feet of lumber per day. The mill cuts dimension timber, clapboards, shingles, lath, etc. 

     Cameron's saw-mill is owned and operated by D. H. Cameron. The mill is located about one-half mile from the boundary line, in the town of Barford, P.Q., although the lumber is drawn to this town before it is loaded on the cars. The mill was built in 1879, by F.B. Cleveland. Mr. Cameron bought it in 1882. The mill furnishes employment for seven men, cutting about 7,000 feet of dimension timber per day. Water-power is used.  A.M. Stetson's steam saw-mill is located on road 2. It was built by George B. James, in 1873-74, and has been owned by Mr. Stetson since the failure of Mr. James.  It employs about seventy fine men and cuts over 10,000,000 feet of lumber per annum. It was built at an expense of nearly $90,000.00. 
 
 

(Source: Gazetteer of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887)

 


    The town clerk maintains birth, death and marriage vital statistics and many other records of value in researching your ancestors. You can contact the Clerk's office at: 

Norton Town Clerk
P.O Box 148
Norton, VT 05907
Phone: (802) 822-9935
norton@tax.state.vt.us

 


 


 

 

 

This site is Copyrighted To Karima © 2002
For information or questions concerning submitting material for this web site, or volunteering
please contact the Essex County Coordinator.

Karima

 

Part of the USGen Web Project