~ 27 October 1794
Corner, Jonesville, Richmond.
town is finely watered by Winooski and Huntington Rivers, on the banks
of which are good mill sites and large tracts
of beautiful meadow. The village is neat, and the center of considerable
travel. This is a healthy place, and noted for the longevity of its inhabitants
. . . The first attempt to form a settlement here was made in 1775, by
Amos Brownson and John Chamberlain, with their families; but they abandoned
the town in the fall, and did not return till the close of the revolutionary
war. In the spring of 1784 they returned to the farms, on which they had
made beginnings, accompanied by Asa and Joel Brownson, Samuel and Joshua
Chamberlain, Jas. Holly, Joseph Wilson and Jesse McFairlain."
of Vermont, Hayward, 1849)
is Copyrighted To Karima © 2002
or questions concerning submitting material for this web site, or volunteering
the Chittenden County Coordinator.
Part of the
USGen Web Project.