town is pleasantly situated on the west side of Connecticut River, opposite
to Lime, N.H. The Ompomponoosuc, and its branches, give the town an excellent
water power. There are several ponds in Thetford, one of which is worthy
of notice. It covers about nine acres, and is situated on an elevation,
the base of which is only four rods from Connecticut River, and 100 feet
in height. It is very deep; it has neither inlet or outlet, and contains
large quantities of perch and other fish.
surface of the town is generally rocky and uneven; it has but little interva!e,
but the soil is strong and productive. There are some manufactures in the
town, a rich vein of galena, and three neat villages.
North by Fairlee and west Fairlee, east by Connecticut River, which separates
it from Lyme, N.H., south by Norwich, and west by Strafford.
Settlers - The settlement was commenced here in 1764, by John Chamberlain,
from Hebron, Ct. The next year he was joined by two other families; one
by the name of Baldwin, and the other by the name of Hosford. Samuel,
the son of John Chamberlain, was the first English child born in town.
John Chamberlain was nicknamed Quail John. Being industrious, and somewhat
parsimonious, he accumulated considerable property.
Minister. A Congregational minister, by the name of Clement Sumner was
ordained here in 1773. He became a tory, and went to Swanzey, N.H.
Rev. Asa Burton was ordained in 1779. He continued here till his death,
1836, aged eighty-four.
Thirty-four miles south south-east from Montpelier, and eighteen south-east
Connecticut River Railroad passes through the town.
of Vermont, by John Hayward, 1849, p. 122-123)