is on elevated ground, with a rocky, strong soil, adapted to grazing. It
contains much granite, and is watered by the upper branches of Wait's River,
which propel a number of mills.
North by Groton, in Caledonia County, VT, east by Newbury, south by Corinth,
and west by Orange.
Settlers. The settlement was commenced about the year 1781, by Thomas Chamberlain,
Thomas McKeith and Samuel Farnum. In 1783 they were joined by Robert Mann,
Samuel Thompson, and John Crown; and, in 1784, by Lemuel Tabor. The first
settlers were generally from New Hampshire.
town house, which has been occupied as a meeting-house, was erected in
Nineteen miles south-east from Montpelier, and fifteen north-east from
Connecticut River Railroad passes through the neighboring town of Newbury.
of Vermont, by John Hayward, 1849, p. 123-124)