branch of White River passes through this town, on which are mills of various
kinds. The soil is generally a rich loam; on the stream the intervale
land is extensive and valuable. In some parts of the town the surface is
contains a medicinal spring of some notoriety in cutaneous diseases. Considerable
quantities of the products of the farms are sent to market.
are three pleasant villages situated on tile first branch of White River.
North by Chelsea, east by Strafford, south by Royalton, and west by Randolph.
Settlers. The settlement of the township was commenced about the year 1776,
by James Lyon, Moses Ordway, and others, emigrants from New Hampshire.
Minister. Rev. David H. Williston was ordained over the Congregational
Church in 1793, and dismissed in 1802.
Twenty-six miles south by east from Montpelier, and seven south from Chelsea.
town is in the neighborhood of the Northern and Connecticut River Railroads.
of Vermont, by John Hayward, 1849, p. 125)