Waterbury lies in the northwestern corner of Washington county,
in latitude 44° 23' and longitude 4° 17’, and is bounded north
by Stowe, east by Middlesex, south by the Winooski river which separates
it from Duxbury and Moretown, and west by Bolton, in Chittenden, county.
The township was chartered by Gov. Benning Wentworth to Joseph ABBOTT and
sixty-three associates, June 7, 1763, and was then a tract six miles square.
The area has since been increased by accessions to its territory from Middlesex
This township contains more moderately uneven and level land then
other towns in Central Vermont, although it is bordered by mountains and
high hills on the east, west, and north. These elevations command charming
views of the well cultivated farms and the farmers' neat and comfortable
homes, dotting the landscapes below, and embracing a large portion of the
The rocks underlying this township are entirely of the talcose schist
formation. There are also beds of serpentine, steatite, and copper and
iron pyrites in the central and northern parts, also a narrow belt of azoic
limestone. Traces of gold in alluvium are found along Waterbury river and
Prof. HITCHCOCK states that "these outcrops of copper have not been
fully developed by mining, but that they may become sources of wealth."
The intervales on the Winooski river are proverbial for their fertility,
and rank with the best in the state. In all other parts of the town the
soil is good, and well repays the husbandman for his labor. The original
forests on the lower lands were composed mainly of hard wood, the sugar
maple predominating. The mountain regions are covered with spruce.
The Winooski river flows from the east, along the southern border
of the town, with a very moderate descent until it reaches Bolton falls,
three and a half miles below the village. Here the water has forced a channel
through the rocks, and formed a chasm 100 feet deep and about as wide.
On the south side the rocks are nearly perpendicular. Many of the rocks
are o£ huge dimensions, and have fallen into the chasm in such a
way as to form an imperfect bridge, which may be crossed by footmen in
very low water. On account of their great dimensions these rocks have also
formed several curious caverns. The other streams of much magnitude are
Waterbury river and Thatcher's Branch, which, with their numerous tributaries
and abundant springs, furnish an inexhaustible supply of pure water. The
Waterbury river enters the town from Stowe, flows south through the western
part of the town, and empties into the Winooski about a mile west of Waterbury
Street. Thatcher's Branch also enters Waterbury from Stowe, and flows south
through the town a little east of the center, and falls into 'the Winooski
at the west end of the village.
Waterbury was chartered in 1763, and many of the proprietors resided
in Waterbury, Conn., and New Jersey. Waterbury in Vermont received its
name from Waterbury, Conn., the home of many of the original proprietors.
Their first meeting was held in New Milford, Conn., in 1770, and later
meetings were held in Newark, N. J. After the Revolutionary war their meetings
were held in Vermont.
James MARSH, a native of Canaan, Conn., who had been a soldier in
the French war, made the first attempt to make a home in Waterbury. He
came under adverse circumstances, and remained under the cloud the little
remnant of his existence after he settled here. He had sold his land in
Canaan and gone to Cornwall, where he was drafted soon after into the army
in the early part of the Revolutionary war. He procured a substitute for
his place in the army. He raised the money to make this payment of $100
by selling his place, and with the residue bought a claim of wild land
in Bath, N. H., and another in Waterbury, Vt. He then settled on his claim
in Bath, where he remained two years, when, finding his title bad, he resolved
to settle on .his right in Waterbury. Accordingly, in the spring of 1783,
he came to Waterbury, selected his claim, which embraced a portion of the
site of the village, cleared a small plot of land, planted it with corn,
and returned to his family in Bath. In the fall he returned to Waterbury,
harvested his corn and stored it in an improvised crib, and left it for
his future subsistence. The next spring he came with his wife and eight
children as far as the old fort in Corinth, where he was obliged to leave
his wife and the youngest five of their children, and continued the journey
with the oldest three, Elias, Irene, and James. From Corinth they came
on snowshoes and drew their household goods on a hand sled. They found
comfortable quarters in the surveyors' cabin. The corn on which Mr. MARSH
had placed so much dependence had been nearly all consumed by the beasts
of the forest, or hunters and Indians. In this dilemma Mr. MARSH's only
alternative was to resort to fishing and hunting.
About the last of May, after having enlarged his clearing and nearly
finished planting, he left his children alone in the forest and returned
to Corinth for the remainder of his family, to be absent an entire week,
and leaving them an allowance of food barely sufficient for that length
of time. These deserted children were Elias, a lad of fifteen years, whose
remains are unmarked in the graveyard at Waterbury; Irene, then about twelve
years old, who married a Mr. COLMAN, of Jericho, and died there in 1826;
and James, a small boy eight or nine years old, who lived many years in
the southern part of Jericho, where he died in February, 1865, aged about
ninety years. The time passed, their scanty allowance was exhausted, but
the father did not return; and the stated one-week lengthened to three
weeks before he arrived at the cabin. In the meantime what of the children!
They had subsisted the second week on the leeks that grew in abundance
on the rich intervale along the river. They found at the end of this week
that their strictly vegetable diet was not especially palatable or conducive
to health or strength, and resolved to catch fish, and in this attempt
the sister fell into the river and barely escaped drowning. With starvation
thus staring them in the face if they remained longer, they made the wise
resolution to go to their nearest neighbor, Jesse MCFAIRLAIN, who resided
in Richmond. This journey was not all the way a pleasure trip. A huge bear
disputed their right to the path, but was finally driven up the mountain
by their trusty dog that had been left with them. Suffice it to say the
children reached Mr. MCFAIRLAIN's in an exhausted condition, and so nearly
starved that it was unsafe for them at first to satisfy their craving hunger.
Mr. and Mrs. MCFAIRLAIN kindly administered to their necessities.
Mr. MARSH, when he entered his cabin after the three weeks' absence,
found it deserted. Surely if he was not an unnatural parent the agony of
sorrow and remorse then overwhelmed him for his reprehensible conduct in
thus abandoning these children without food and without protection. No
business, however important, offers an extenuating excuse. After a survey
of the premises, without a clue to where his children were, he dispatched
a young man, who had accompanied him, to Mr. MCFAIRLAIN's, who returned
with the children, and before night the family were again united. The diet
of the family for weeks the ensuing summer was leeks stewed in the milk
of their only cow, and their food for nearly two pears was the flesh of
moose, deer, and bear.
In the spring of 1785 Ezra BUTLER, the second settler of Waterbury,
came and remained till fall, and then returned. Mr. MARSH and his family
spent the second winter alone. The third settler was Caleb MUNSON. March
29, 1788, Mr. MARSH went to Richmond to meet him and conduct him to Waterbury.
Mr. MARSH, who in the afternoon had crossed the river to Mr. BROWNSON's
to cast some pewter spoons, delayed until after dark. The ice on the giver
was breaking up, and he was apprised by Mr. BROWNSON that it would be dangerous
then to attempt to cross, and urged him to remain till morning. He thought
he could return, and provided himself with a long pole and made the attempt.
The family soon heard his cry of distress and hastened to his relief, but
he had lost his grasp on the pole and disappeared under the ice, and was
carried down the river by the strong current. His body was recovered several
The town was surveyed by Col. Partridge THATCHER, one of the proprietors,
in 1782, who came on with surveyors, who built their camp near the intersection
of the railroad and brook which bears his name, "Thatcher's Branch." Col.
THATCHER died soon after returning to Connecticut, from disease induced
by his exposures in this expedition.
Waterbury was organized into a town by the election of town officers,
March 31, 1790. The first town meeting was held at the house of Richard
HOLDEN. The first set of town officers were: Richard HOLDEN, moderator;
Ezra BUTLER, town clerk; Richard HOLDEN, Caleb MUNSON, and Ezra BUTLER,
selectmen; Caleb MUNSON, town treasurer; Elias MARSH, constable; Amos WATERS,
highway surveyor and fence viewer. At this meeting, "Voted, swine shall
not run at large."
The first representative of this town was Dr. Daniel BLISS, in 1792.
The first lawyer who settled in Waterbury was Dan CARPENTER. The first
permanent and successful merchant was Amasa PRIDE, in 1802. The first school-house
was built at a very early day, and stood where the railroad crosses Stowe
street, and in this house nearly all the meetings of the village were then
held. Reuben WELLS was the first tanner. His brother-in-law, Seth CHANDLER,
was the first blacksmith. The first carpenter was a Mr. WARREN. The first
grist and saw-mills were erected by John CARPENTER, about 1792. Mr. MASON
was the first miller. Polly BUTLER, eldest daughter of Gov. BUTLER, born
October 23, 1788, was the first white child born in town. The first male
child was Tilman WRIGHT, who died in 1842. The first death was that of
James MARSH. The first school taught in town was a private one taught by
the diminutive daughters of Reuben WELLS, who were sometimes mistaken for
children by strangers. The first marriage was that of Philip BARTLETT and
Mrs. MARSH, widow of James MARSH, the first settler of Waterbury. Daniel
BLISS was the first physician. In 1800 the Baptist church was organized,
and Gov. BUTLER was ordained and chosen pastor. The same year the Methodist
church was organized by Elder STEBBINS, and Thomas GUPTIL was the first
class-leader. The Congregational church was organized July for 1801, by
Rev. Jedediah BUSHNELL, a missionary from Connecticut. Dea. Asaph ALLEN
was then chosen the first deacon of the church. The first meeting-house
in Waterbury was erected by the society of the Congregational church, in
At the town meeting held March 11, 1794, "voted to hire a constable."
"Voted to bid it [the office] off at vendue, and it was struck off to Ebn'r
REED at six shillings." For many succeeding years that office was disposed
of in the same manner; with an increasing demand, until the ambitious aspirants
frequently paid the town a premium, and as high as five dollars for the
honor of the position and its emoluments. In the early settlement of the
town it was a custom of the farmers to mark their sheep by mutilating the
ears, each having a style of his own. We insert the following found among
many others on record in the town clerk's office:
mark, entered on record February 10th, 1795; and is a square crop on the
HOLDEN's mark, entered on record February 10, 1795; and is the right ear
cropt of square.
C. ROOD's mark on record Jan. 10, 1805; and is a swallow's tail in both
mark, entered on record July 10th, 1805; and is a W cut out of the right
mark, entered on record January 13th 1806; and is a crop of the right ear
and a hole through both ears.
sheep mark is a crop off the right ear and a hole through the left do.
Recorded May 21st, 1812."
In 1880 Waterbury had a population of 2,297, and in 1888 the town
had sixteen common school districts and one graded school district, embracing
the village. There were schools maintained in all of them, which were taught
by one male and twenty-four female teachers, at a weekly salary of $21.75
for the male and an average of $5.18 for female teachers. The whole number
of scholars who attended school was 455, of whom fifty-four attended private
schools. The entire income for all school purposes was $4,069.01. The whole
amount expended for all school purposes was $4,563.87. The graded school
was taught by one male and three female teachers. There were thirty-six
scholars in the High school, nine of whom studied French or German; eight
graduated. The school was taught thirty-six weeks, and has four grades.
A. W. ARMSTRONG is superintendent.
WATERBURY (p. o.) village, the largest one in the town, is located
on Winooski river and Central Vermont railroad, midway on the southern
border of the town. The village has a. pleasant location, and contains
an intelligent population of about 1,200 souls. The principal streets are
Main, about one mile in length, extending parallel with the railroad and
river; Stowe street, which is the business street; Union and Winooski streets.
The village contains many fine residences, conspicuous among them being
the fine brick mansion, with its well-kept lawns, fountains, and the greenhouse
in the rear, the home of C. C. WARREN, Esq., one of Waterbury's most energetic
business men. Dr. JANES has also an elegant residence on fine grounds.
Mr. ATKINS has just completed a beautiful home, and there are others well
worthy of mention. Among the leading merchants are Messrs. ATKINS &
HAINES, wholesale and retail dealers in groceries, M. M. KNIGHT, C. E.
RICHARDSON, J. E. SHEPLE, J. C. GRIGGS, M. O. EVANS, C. KEENE, A. G. ATHERTON,
Mrs. J. M. CAMERON, millinery, C. E. WYMAN, F. B. TAYLOR, and W. H. ASHLEY.
The lawyers are William P. DILLINGHAM, C. F. CLOUGH, George W. MORSE, E.
F. PALMER, and G. W. KENNEDY. The physicians are Drs. JANES, HOOKER, WASHBURNE,
and LAMB. The churches are the Congregational, Methodist, and Roman Catholic.
For the instruction of its children the village has provided a good graded
school. Waterbury National bank, with a capital of $100,000, Hon. Paul
DILLINGHAM, president, ranks high with other similar institutions. The
Waterbury Hotel, four stories high, with fine, wide halls, high, spacious,
and airy rooms, and an elegant and well supplied dining-room, is kept open
the year round by the genial hosts, B. BARRETT & Son. Other extensive
operators in business are C. C. WARREN, tanner; G. W. RANDALL and W. R.
ELLIOTT, lumbermen; and G. E. MOODY, live stock, lumber, etc. The Central
Vermont railroad, furnished here with a fine passenger depot and convenient
freight house, ably managed by the agent, A. J. BROWN, provides all that
is necessary for traveling and conveying freight. The legislature of Vermont,
at the session in the fall of 1888, appropriated $100,000 for the purpose
of erecting a state asylum for the insane, and appointed commissioners
to secure a suitable location for the buildings. After making a tour of
observation through the state they decided that Waterbury contained all
the requisites for the institution, and accordingly selected that location.
The work of construction will commence the ensuing spring.
WATERBURY CENTER is a post village located on an elevated plain
of considerable extent. It occupies the center of a vast amphitheater surrounded
by the tallest peaks of the Green Mountains. Mansfield, Camel's Hump, and
others stand out grim and grand, like giant sentinels jealous of the welfare
of the little hamlet. The picturesque beauty and magnificence of the natural
scenery here is not surpassed. This beautiful little village is the location
of Green Mountain Seminary, a flourishing Freewill Baptist institution,
with Miss Elizabeth COLLEY, principal. The village contains two churches
(Methodist and Free Baptist), two stores, several mechanic shops, and sixty
or seventy neat and tasty dwellings. The village has no hotel, but W. E.
MARSHALL opens his door to the traveler.
MILL VILLAGE and COLBYVILLE are small hamlets on Thatcher's Branch,
in the suburbs of Newbury village.
The Waterbury town poor farm is located on Blush hill. The buildings
have recently been repaired and made comfortable, and under the faithful
and efficient care of Mr. and Mrs. Ira W. HUMPHREY the unfortunate poor
of Waterbury have a comfortable home. Mr. and Mrs. HUMPHREY have managed
this institution the past six years. The present number of inmates is seven,
and they are comfortably clothed and abundantly fed.
George W. RANDALL's saw-mill is located in the western part of Waterbury,
on Waterbury river, which here has a fall of twenty-five feet, affording
one of the best water-powers in the state. The machinery is of the new
improved kind, and includes a large circular saw, planer, matcher, band-saw,
etc. Mr. RANDALL manufactures dimension lumber as a specialty. He also
manufactures shingles, boards, and hard wood lumber, and does dressing
and matching. He turns out about 1,000,000 feet per year, and employs in
the forest and mills a force of thirty men.
C.C. WARREN's tannery is located at Mill Village, on Thatcher's
Branch. This is one of the finest establishments of its kind in the state,
and is so admirably constructed that his ten employees easily do the work
usually requiring a force of fifteen men. He manufactures a superior quality
of leather (mostly harness), which he readily sells. Mr. WARREN is also
the proprietor of a creamery, which manufactures the milk from his dairy
of 200 cows. He uses the centrifugal process of separating the cream from
Edward .T. SEABURY's custom grist-mill is located in the pleasant
little hamlet of Mill Village, within the corporation of Waterbury village,
about half a mile from the postoffice, and on Thatcher's Branch, which
affords the motive power. The mill is furnished with three runs of stones
and other machinery to make a handy and convenient establishment. Mr. SEABURY
does custom grinding of all kinds, and also deals largely in corn, corn
meal, feed, and flour. The mill has a fair capacity, and does a good business.
ROBERTS & DEAVITT Bros' Saw-mill is located on Thatcher's Branch,
in, Colbyville. The company was organized February 1, 1886, and is engaged
in manufacturing spruce, hemlock, and hard wood lumber, shingles, and clapboards.
They have also a dry-house for kiln-drying lumber, and also do planing,
matching, and dressing to order. The motive power is water, with an. ample
supply throughout the year from the natural current of the brook, and,
a reservoir of about sixteen. acres. The mill is equipped with good machinery,
and turns out annually about half a million feet, and gives employment
to from five to ten men.
The COOLEY Manufacturing Co., incorporated in the fall of 1882,
William, COOLEY, president and general manager, is located in the village
of Waterbury. This company does general machine work, manufactures portable
water-tube boilers, iron and brass casting, bridge bolts, all kinds of
light machinery, and cast-iron chimney caps. This industry gives employment
to. a force of from twelve to sixteen hands, and is run by steam-power.
Henry DILLINGHAM, successor to A. H. SELLECK, has a mill on Thatcher's.
Branch, Mill Village, where he manufactures fork, rake, hoe, and broom,
handles, and ash doweling used for reed and rattan furniture. He also does
custom wool-carding. This industry turns out work of superior quality,
which is in demand by the leading manufacturers in the United States.
O.L. AYERS, of Waterbury village, has completed a fine shop off
Main, street, where he manufactures carriages and sleighs, and does general
repairing in that line. He has a fine carriage paint shop, and also does
planing and; sawing and dresses house finishing lumber. His shop is furnished
with a. steam engine of ten-horse power, and new and improved machinery.
The Colbyville Manufacturing Co., Edwin A. and George E. DUMAS,
proprietors, was organized in April, 1886. The manufactory is located in
the hamlet of Colbyville, about a mile from the post office, in Waterbury
village. They manufacture French's improved octagon butter tubs, the celebrated
Colby little washer, and do custom scroll sawing, splitting, and planing.
This manufactory is furnished with good and efficient machinery for turning
out work of fine finish and quality. They also manufacture, quite extensively,
an extension wash bench -- a very convenient article for every housekeeper.
The National Bank of Waterbury. -- The Bank of Waterbury was chartered
December 5, 1853, understate laws, and commenced business April 18, 1854,
with the following board of directors: Leander HUTCHINS, Paul DILLINGHAM,
William W. WELLS, Orrin PERKINS, and V. W. WATERMAN. Leander HUTCHINS was
president, and Samuel H. STOWELL, cashier. It had a paid up capital of
$80,000. Benjamin H. DEWEY succeeded Mr. STOWELL as cashier, March 6, 1856,
and served until May 1, 1865, when James K. FULLERTON was appointed. September
1, 1865, this bank reorganized under the National Bank act, as the Waterbury
National bank, with a paid up capital of $100,000, divided: into 2,500
shares of $40 each, with Leander HUTCHINS, president, and James. K. FULLERTON,
cashier. Mr. HUTCHINS served as president until January 13, 1874, when
he declined further service, and Paul DILLINGHAM was then elected. Mr.
FULLERTON was cashier until April 1, 1870, when Curtis WELLS was appointed.
At the present time the capital of the bank is $100,000; surplus fund,
$30,000. Paul DILLINGHAM is president; William P. DILLINGHAM, vice-president;
and Charles WELLS, cashier. The charter was extended in June, 1885, for
April 27, 1880, a most cruel murder was perpetrated in Waterbury,
though none concerned in the crime, nor the victim, were residents of this
town. It was planned in Duxbury, at the home of the criminals, but executed
in this town. In the arrangements some originality of invention is seen,
but it involved too many details and too much exposure to observation to
make it easy of concealment. Little Alice MEAKER, the victim, was, if we
remember rightly, a half-sister of Mr. MEAKER, an orphan, or half orphan,
and a pauper in another town, the overseer of which had agreed to pay a
certain sum in money to MEAKER to take Alice to support during her minority.
Mrs. MEAKER disliked or had become tired of the child,, and planned to
get rid of her by a cruel crime. She and her son got a team at Mr. BATES's
stable, in Waterbury, and a supply of, poison of Mr. CARPENTER, a druggist
here. The MEAKER mother and son and Alice left Waterbury village between
nine and ten in the evening, to go some five or six miles up Waterbury
river, and on the way administered the poison, probably finding compulsion
necessary. If particulars are here omitted, the reader may imagine how
they proceeded and some of the incidents of that awful ride. By some means
the child came to her death, was concealed in a hole in the ground partly
filled with water, dug probably by road makers, and being ready-made was
used by the MEAKERS. The disappearance of the child immediately raised
suspicion in the neighborhood; the result was Sheriff ATHERTON succeeded
in drawing out from young MEAKER the fate of the child, and the disclosure
of the place of concealment, which was verified by ATHERTON and MEAKER
going to the place and finding the body, and their taking it to MEAKER's
house, the young man telling his mother he had told the story, to the consternation
of the mother. The result of their trial for the atrocious deed was the
sentence of death for both mother and son. The mother was hanged, and the
son's death sentence was commuted to imprisonment in the state's prison
Hon. Ezra BUTLER, son of Asaph; was born in Lancaster, Worcester
county, Mass., September 24, 1763. About 1780 he was a soldier in the Revolutionary
army. In. 1785 he went to Waterbury in the early spring, cleared
a small piece of land, planted it with corn, and returned to Weathersfield,
where, he married, in June, Tryphena DIGGINS. On making the discovery that
the title to his first pitch was not good, he abandoned it, and selected
another farther down the river, made a clearing, built a log house, and
in September, 1786, moved into it with his wife and child, and there "spent
the remainder of his life, dying July 12, 1838." He officiated over
the Baptist church over thirty years. He was a firm man in his opinion,
on whatever subject he made up his mind was right. He had a hand in many
of the political movements of the day; was of the Jeffersonian school in
politics, and remained so as long as that division of parties lasted. He
was honored by the town in being appointed to many of its important offices.
He was eleven years a representative in the House of Assembly, and fifteen
years a member of the Council. In 1803 he was appointed first assistant
judge of Chittenden County Court, which he held till 1806, when he was
elected chief judge, and held the same to 1811, when Waterbury was put
into Jefferson county, now Washington, when he was again promoted to first
judge and held that office twelve years, ending December 1, 1826. In October,
1826, he was chosen governor of the state, and held the office two years.
In 1822 he was a member of the Constitutional Convention; in 1806 he was
a member of the Council of Censors, and from 1813 to 1815 was a member
of Congress, making fifty-three years' service in the various offices,
besides the town offices at home. This, added to his religious duties,
might be supposed would keep him tolerable busy. He was true and faithful
in all the various duties assigned to him.” He was dark and sallow, not
very straight, but his keen black eyes showed that he had a mind and will
of his own, and the ability to use it.” He is represented as being a man
of the people, who knew their wants by visiting them in their homes. Hence
his great popularity both as a preacher and politician.
Thomas WHEELER came over from England about 1640, and settled in
Concord, Mass. He died December 24, 1704. One of his sons, Timothy, was
born July 24, 1667, and died April 14, 1718. Timothy also had a son by
the same name, born March 8, 1696, who died May 7, 1782, leaving a son
by the name of William, born January 17, 1734 or '35. This William left
a son William, who was born August 24, 1767, and who settled in Washington
county in 1795, and here resided until 1821, when he died, leaving a son
William, who was born September 17, 1791, and died October 9, 1845. Among
the children of the last named William were Timothy and Joseph, who are
now living in the village of Waterbury Center. Timothy was born December
17, 1820. Joseph was born November 25, 1836. He has a son, Steadman C.,
born March 1, 1867.
Deacon Asaph ALLEN was born in the fort in Deerfield, Mass., October
25, 1751. While he was a small boy his father moved with his family to
Bernardston, Mass. At the age of nineteen years Asaph was appointed a deacon
of the Orthodox Congregational church of Bernardston. In early life he
did some service in the militia, and at, the call of his country in the
struggle for our independence he served as .a soldier, and later in life
received a pension from the government. In 1773 or '74 he married Persis
SHELDON, of Bernardston, who was born in 1757. In February, 1796, he came
to Waterbury with his family and settled on the fine farm now owned by
G. E. MOODY, about half a mile east of the village of Waterbury Center,
where he spent the remainder of his long life. He was a gentleman of the
old school, upright and honest. He died March 19, 1840. His worthy wife
survived him until February, 1852, aged ninety-four years and ten months.
Their children were Roxana, born August 16, 1777; Zebulon, born in 1779;
Sophia, born December 10, 1781; Eliakim, born February 24, 1785; Asaph,
born in 1788; Horace, born August 15, 1792; Charles S., born February 24,
1795; Persis, born in Waterbury, July 2, 1797; and Seba, born in Waterbury,
August 16, 1801. Roxana married Jared GEORGE, in Bernardston, Mass., about
1795 and in January, 1796, they removed to Waterbury, where they both resided
until the close of their lives, leaving four children, viz.: Joshua, Jared,
Miranda, and Horace P. Zebulon Allen married Rachel MOORE, about 1798,
and lived in Stowe, Waterbury, Massena, N. Y., Ogdensburg, N. Y., and finally
in Rochester, N. Y., where he died. Sophia ALLEN married David HARRINGTON,
of Middlesex, Vt., about 1803. Mr. HARRINGTON was a carpenter, a man of
good abilities, and was high sheriff and judge of probate. He removed from
Middlesex to Montpelier in 1835, emigrated to Worthington, Ohio, in 1842,
thence two years later to Iowa, where he died.
Eliakim ALLEN married Deborah GODFREY, of Waterbury, May 1, 1808,
and succeeded his father as owner of the old homestead, where he resided
until about 1846, when he removed to the village of Waterbury Center. Mr.
ALLEN was always a farmer, and a man of sterling integrity. He represented
Waterbury in the state legislature, and held other offices of trust. He
was a member of the Methodist church over fifty years. Mrs. Deborah ALLEN
died October 19, 1857. January 21, 1858, Mr. ALLEN married his second wife,
Achsah KINGSBURY, of Stowe, who survives at the great age of eighty-six
years: The children of Eliakim and Deborah ALLEN are Climena M., born August
8; 1809; Harriet R., born November 9, 1812; Aurelia A., born October 12,
1814; Julia E., born July 2, 1817; Pamelia R., born April 23, 1820; Alma
A., born June 28, 1824; and Frances P., born July 16, 1832. Climena, daughter
of Eliakim ALLEN, was twice married, first to Persons LYON, who was the
father of four of her children, none living in Waterbury. Her second husband
was Alexander FERGURSON, who died in Burlington. He was the father of four
of her children. Mrs. FERGURSON now resides with her daughter, Mrs. H.
WALKER. Mr. WALKER is of the firm of O. J. WALKER & Bros., of Burlington.
Harriet R. ALLEN married Elymas NEWCOMB, of Waterbury, and was the mother
of two sons. The eldest, Francis, died at the age of twenty-one years.
The other, E. Allen NEWCOMB, resides in Waterbury Center. Julia E. ALLEN
married True B. COLBY, a farmer, and they were parents of a son and two
daughters. The son, Lucius, resides in Manchester, N. H. Mrs. COLBY died
October 27, 1887. Pamelia R. ALLEN married Lucius MARSHALL, who was a millwright,
carpenter, and farmer. Mr. MARSHALL died in 1870. Their children are Willis
E., a farmer, who resides in Waterbury Center, who married Miss Hattie
SMITH, of Waitsfield; and Francis N., who is a merchant in Vancouver, Washington
Territory. Mrs. MARSHALL resides with her son Willis E.
Asaph, son of Deacon Asaph ALLEN, was twice married. He resided
awhile in Middlesex, Vt., but subsequently removed to Ohio. He was the
father of thirteen children.
Horace ALLEN married Polly FIELD, was a farmer, and died in Waterbury
Center. He had one son, Charles S., who died in the service of the United
States in the war with Mexico.
Charles S. ALLEN married Nancy HALE, and was always a farmer. Both
he and his wife are now deceased. Their children are Ransom, who married
Ellen DREW, of Essex, N. Y., and is a business man of Chicago; Cornelia
(Mrs. Cornelius EDDY), who resides in Waterbury Center; Romelia (Mrs. O.
W. STEAMS), whose husband is an enterprising farmer of Waterbury; and Persis,
wife of C. F. CLOUGH, who is a leading lawyer in Waterbury village.
Persis ALLEN, daughter of Deacon Asaph, married Harry ATKINS, both
deceased. They were parents of two children, one of whom, Persis, is now
living. The latter married Dr. Charles CLEVELAND, who died on duty as a
surgeon at Memphis, Tenn., in the late war.
Aurelia ALLEN, third daughter of Eliakim, married, first, George
CALKINS, and resided on a farm in Waterbury. She was the mother of two
children by her first husband, of whom only one, Franklin, is now living,
in Pittsburgh, Pa. She married, second, Charles HICKS, and they had one
daughter, Emogene (Mrs. Edwin M. WOODWORTH), whose husband is an enterprising
mechanic of Waterbury Center. Mrs. HICKS died in 1857.
Alma A. ALLEN, daughter of Eliakim, married Storrs CLOUGH, and resided
in Waterbury. Both are deceased. They left two sons, Lynn B., who resides
in Vancouver, W. T., and Guy A., who resides in West Randolph, Vt.
Frances P., youngest daughter of Eliakim ALLEN, died at the age
of five years.
Silas LOOMIS was born in Torrington, Conn., April 12, 1771, and
emigrated to Waterbury, Vt., as early or earlier than 1796. He came to
the town to locate a home, and spent some time in selecting a location;
and while thus engaged he made his home with Gov. Ezra BUTLER. He purchased
a lot of land about two miles from Waterbury Center, on Loomis hill, so-named
in honor of him. He cleared a small place in the dense forest, near where
the Loomis school-house stands, built a log cabin, covered it with bark,
and returned to Torrington for his wife and two children. He was two weeks
on the journey to Waterbury with one horse and sled, which conveyed his
family and household goods. When settled in this wilderness home he exclaimed,
"Here will I live, here will I die, and here will I be buried!" which was
literally fulfilled. By constant industry he added to his possessions until
he owned 400 broad acres. He was small in stature, never weighed 125 pounds,
very light complexion, large, lustrous, dark hazel eyes, and bright red
hair, which he never had cut, but wore it in a cue to the close of his
life. He dressed in homespun wool garments in winter, made by the deft
hands of his competent wife, and linen in summer. His stockings were long,
reaching above the knee, and over all he wore a long frock. He was scrupulously
neat, and his farm, barns, sheds, and tools were kept in perfect order.
He was opposed to buying, and maintained that farmers should raise their
own provisions and clothing. All he had to do, he did well. He despised
fraud, deception, and dishonesty, and if a man cheated him once he never
had an opportunity to do it again. He had a mind of his own, and never
endorsed an opinion because some one else had. At the call of his county
in the War of 1812 he hastened to its defense. He acquired some knowledge
of astronomy; knew the names and revolution of all the planets, and when
they were in conjunction. This he learned, as he said, while at work by
moonlight when clearing his land. For many years he was familiarly called
Governor LOOMIS. In his last illness he talked cheerfully of his near decease,
and complimented his physicians for their honesty in apprising him of it;
and remarked that death had no terrors. He died March 2, 1853, aged eighty-two
Caleb Sanford WRISLEY, son of Caleb and Dorcas (DICKINSON) WRISLEY,
was born in Greenfield, Mass., October 8, 1799. The WRISLEY family came
of English descent, the subject of this sketch being of the third generation
from England. His father emigrated to Waterbury in 1800, settled on a farm
on the east road, where he resided until his death, at the age of seventy-four
years, lie was the father of six sons and three daughters. When about nineteen
years of age he found his father's farm encumbered with debt, and resolved
to earn means to discharge these debts and give his father a substantial
home. To accomplish this worthy object he returned to his native town (Greenfield)
and labored for seven successive years for the farmers, going, and returning
on foot, and carrying provisions for the journey; only using money enough
to pay for his lodging. He finally had the satisfaction of receiving a
deed in full. Mr. WRISLEY then purchased a farm adjoining his father, married
Sarah Carpenter RICHARDSON, daughter of Frederick and Betsey (ORMS) RICHARDSON,
also of English descent. Mr. ORMS, father of Mrs. RICHARDSON, was killed
in the war for independence. Mr. WRISLEY was a man of the old school style,
honest to the letter, and whose integrity was never doubted or questioned.
He was a reliable citizen, a generous and obliging neighbor, and an attendant
of the Free Baptist church, which he helped support. He died September
29, 1880, at the advanced age of eighty-one years. Mrs. WRISLEY died February
22, 1848. Their children were one son and three daughters, viz.: Ellen
B., who married John HERRICK, a farmer of Hyde Park, both deceased; Alvin
S., who married Miss Emeline M. CLARK, and is now a practicing dentist
in Waterbury Center; Harriet F. (Mrs. R. G. GILBERT), whose husband is
a dentist, and resides in Morrisville, Vt.; and Louisa B., the wife of
J. K. DARLING, a farmer in Morristown.
Amasa PRIDE, a native of Newington, Conn., came from Brookfield,
Vt., to Waterbury, in 1802. He was the first successful merchant of the
town. Tim YEOMANS and a Mr. FARNSWORTH had opened small stores, but had
done very little business. Mr. PRIDE had but little capital, but by his
energy and integrity he grew up with the town, and became a leading man
in wealth and influence. The trade of Mr. PRIDE and the farmers (and nearly
all the inhabitants were then farmers) was a barter trade. In clearing
the lands the settlers converted their ashes into black salts, which they
exchanged with Mr. PRIDE for his goods. Mr. PRIDE found a cash market in
Montreal for this commodity, and in that city obtained his fine goods,
none being then found in Boston. He also purchased the surplus cattle in
exchange for goods, and drove them in herds, or "droves," to Boston. In
those early days the farmers and their wives, sons, and daughters were
clad in "homespun." Every family had its spinning-wheels and looms, and
every village its wool carding machines and cloth-dressing-mills. Mr. PRIDE
was, as soon as his circumstances permitted, one of the foremost in every
enterprise to advance the educational and religious interests of Waterbury.
Although Waterbury had three organized churches as early as 1800, up to
1824 they had no meeting-house. The meetings were held in school-houses,
private houses, and barns. One day in the spring of 1823 Judge Dan CARPENTER
and Mr. PRIDE: met, and their conversation turned upon the necessity of
a meeting-house. The fact that the town had none they considered a reproach,
and they resolved it should be so no longer, though neither of them was
then a member of any church. That day they laid the matter before their
neighbor Roswell WELLS, and found him ready with a hearty response, and
before night the matter of building a• meeting-house was settled by these
three men, who resolved to build it if need be at their own expense. The
house was completed and dedicated the ensuing year, and is still owned
and occupied by the society of the Congregational church. As a merchant
and farmer Mr. PRIDE was assiduous, enterprising, honest, and industrious,
and fairly successful. As a citizen, neighbor, and friend he was warm and
genial, kind and generous to the poor, and never oppressive to one of his
many debtors. He died in August, 1872, aged eighty-six years, having outlived
nearly all his early associates. His widow and a daughter are the only
ones of his family who survive.
Richard KNEELAND was born in Westford, Mass., April 1, 1778. He
married Miss Catherine KNIGHTS, of Claremont, N. H. In the spring
of 1803 he settled in Waterbury village and engaged in the occupation of
house joiner. Several structures now standing in the village are specimens
of his skill. In 1813 he removed to the farm now owned by John PARKER,
and finally died at the home of his son William in February, 1868. Mr.
KNEELAND was justice of the peace a long time, and presided as trial justice,
and officiated at a great number of weddings. Mr. and Mrs. KNEELAND were
parents of nine children, all of whom lived to adult age, viz. Ortensia,
who died at the age of fifty-one years; Willard H., who died at the age
of ninety-one years; Martha, who married Ralph PARKER, and died at the
age of forty years; William, who married Dorothy JACKMAN, of Thetford,
Vt., settled on the farm with his father, where he remained until the farm
was sold, in 1853, and now resides an a farm in the near neighborhood of
the old homestead; they have an only son, born in 1852, who resides with
his parents; Mary A., who married Baxter WHITNEY, and died October 14,
1887, aged seventy-three years; Catherine M., who died at the age of twenty-one
years; Henry, who married Maria SHERMAN, was a tanner, and resides in Waitsfield;
Lucius, who died in Florida at the age of thirty years; and Adaline, who
married William M. WADE, and resides in the little hamlet of Colbyville.
Dan CARPENTER, son of Simeon and Anna Burton CARPENTER, was born
in Norwich, Vt., November 21, 1776, where he lived and was educated. He
studied law and was admitted to the bar of Windsor county in the spring
of 1804. During the summer of that year he came into what is now Washington
county and settled in Waterbury. At that time Waterbury and several other
towns now in Washington county were in Chittenden county; and there was
no lawyer nearer than Williston. Mr. CARPENTER's choice of location was
a fortunate one for him, for there had been for several years a growing
desire that a reliable lawyer should settle in that vicinity. He opened
his office for business October 1, 1804. He was a sound lawyer, a man of
most excellent practical judgment, and he proved almost at once that he
was a safe advisor. Having fixed upon Waterbury as his future home he at
once became identified with all its interests, and was soon a leading man
in all its affairs. When Mr. CARPENTER began business in Waterbury justices
had no jurisdiction in cases involving more than $13. This threw a heavy
business into the County Court, and his income was large for quite a number
of years. He had no competitor in town until 1817, when Henry F. JANES
also settled in Waterbury. Mr. CARPENTER was a gentleman of fine personal
appearance, nearly six feet high, slim, straight as an arrow, and lithe
and graceful in every movement. In manner he was respectful, courteous,
and kind to every one. He rapidly gained favor, and strong attachments
grew up between him and a great proportion of his townsmen. He was a conscientious
man, very kind to the poor, and forbearing to all his debtors. The evidence
of the estimation he gained in town, county, and state are the following
facts: In his town he was chosen town clerk in 1808, and held the office
by successive elections (save one till 1829, when he declined to hold that
office longer). He was first selectman during most of those years. In 1817
he was representative in the General Assembly, and with the exception of
1818 represented the town till 1827, when, in the fall of that year, he
was chosen first assistant judge of Washington County Court, and held that
office by successive elections for eight years, when he declined further
service. In 1824 he was one of the state electors of President and Vice-President,
and by his associates was deputed to carry and deliver the electoral votes
of the state in the city of Washington. From April, 1823, he had Paul DILLINGHAM,
Jr., as junior law partner. The firm was CARPENTER & DILLINGHAM, which
continued until he became judge, when the business was given to Mr. DILLINGHAM.
From 1820 he had a mercantile interest in Waterbury, in company with Charles
R. CLEAVES. In February, 1824, he purchased Mr. CLEAVES's interest in this
business, with all his real estate, and his son, William CARPENTER, became
his. partner. In the summer of 1834 he built the brick store where his
grandson, W. E. Carpenter, now lives and conducts a mercantile business.
January 27, 1805, he married Betsey, daughter of Elisha and Margaret
(MURDOCK) PARTRIDGE, of Norwich. She was born January 23, 1783. They commenced
housekeeping in the spring following, in a one-storied house, convenient
for a small family, and in the year 1815 he built and finished the two-story
house where his grandson, Frank CARPENTER, now lives. Mr. and Mrs. CARPENTER
had eight children, four of whom died in infancy, and four lived to maturity,
viz.: William, born October 25, 1805, who died March 17, 1881; Sarah P.,
born in May, 1807; Eliza, born December 11, 1810; and Julia, born December
3, 1812. Julia, the wife of Hon. Paul DILLINGHAM, is now the sole survivor.
Sarah P. (CARPENTER) DILLINGHAM died September 20, 1831. Judge CARPENTER
died December 1, 1852. His memory is still cherished by many now living.
His wife survived him many years, and died November 5, 1875, at the great
age of ninety-two years.
William and Mary E. (PARTRIDGE) CARPENTER were parents of eight
children, two of whom died in infancy. The others are Sarah Louisa, born
October 28, 1832, who married Erastus SPICER, December 24, 1864, and died
February 17, 1887; George Henry, born September 25, 1835, who married Helen
WALLACE, of Aurora, N. Y., January 23, 1866, and now resides in Griswoldville,
Mass.; Mary PARTRIDGE, born October 7, 1838, who married M. O. EVANS, a
merchant of Waterbury, May 1, 1860, and died November 15, 1872; Julia ELIZA,
born June 10, 1842, who married, November 12, 1867, George W. WHEELER,
of Burlington, Kan., where she now resides with her husband, who is a farmer;
Franklin, born June 19, 1845, who married Ellen Eliza SHURTLEFF, September
22, 1868, and resides at the homestead of his grandfather; and William
E., before mentioned, who married Sarah MOODY, June 4, 1872.
John STEAMS, son of Asaph and Kesiah (PALMER) STEAMS, was born in
Conway, Mass., January 23, 1783. He married Tabitha WARREN, of his native
town, lived in Conway about three years after his marriage, and then emigrated
to Waterbury, in February, 1807, and settled on a farm on Loomis hill in
the eastern part of the town. The farm of 106 acres contained a log house
so poorly constructed that the foxes ran through openings between the logs.
There was only fifteen or twenty acres of cleared land. He was young and
industrious, and at once set to work with a good will and soon erected
a comfortable frame house and other buildings, cleared up his farm, and
placed himself and family in comfortable circumstances. As his finances
increased he added to his farm from time to time until it contained 300
acres. He was not an office seeker, but by the votes of his townsmen, he
reluctantly held the positions of selectman and lister several years. He
was a reliable, honest, and trusted citizen, and a kind and obliging neighbor.
He died on the farm where he settled, January 3, 1863, at the advanced
age of eighty years. Mrs. STEARNS survived until April 11, 1863. They were
parents of nine children, viz.: Diantha, born November 30, 1804, who died
July 31, 1843; John, Jr., born August 15, 1806, who married Abigail TOBEY,
of Conway, Mass., was a farmer, and resided in Waterbury until his death,
February 26, 1855; Cynthia, born September 17, 1808, unmarried, resides
with her brother O. W., in Waterbury; Palmer, born July 25, 1810, went
to Illinois in 1883, married Polly REYNOLDS, and settled permanently in
Rock Island, Ill., where he now resides; Elizabeth, born May 13, 1812,
who married Leonard L. MORSE, of Waterbury, and removed with her husband
to Illinois in 1833, where she died in December, 1842; George W.,
born April 26, 1815, married Mary MARSHALL, in 1841, and settled in Waterbury,
where he was a farmer; Samuel F., born August 12, 1817; Keziah, born June
29, 1820, who married Caleb SIMMONS, in June, 1842, and settled in Waterbury,
where she died March 17, 1851; and Orren WARREN, born August 23, 1828.
Samuel F. STEARNS married, first, Julia C. MURRAY, March 16, 1843,
who died March 25, 1879, and second, Lutheria BARNES, February 24, 1880.
Mr. STEAMS has always been a farmer, and has the confidence of his townsmen.
He has served as selectman and lister for several terms, and gave to the
duties of these positions the same care and attention that he did to his
Orren Warren STEARNS married Romelia ALLEN, March 17, 1851. Mr.
STEARNS was educated in the common schools of his district, with one term
at the High school of Waterbury Center. Like other farmers' boys he had
schooling in winter and discipline in industry at hard labor on his father's
farm, a season of about nine months, from springy to winter. Mr. STEARNS
settled on the homestead and administered to the comforts of his aged parents
in their declining years, ably assisted by his sister Cynthia. The homestead
is now owned by Orren W. and Cynthia. Mr. STEARNS has not been much in
a public positions, choosing rather to give his attention to his farm,
but has served as lister. The children of Mr. and Mrs. STEAMS are Lizzie
D., born October 14, 1852, wife of Richard N. DEMERIT, proprietor of a
bakery and confectionery establishment at Plattsburgh, N. Y., with a residence
at Waterburl Center, Vt.; Winnie A., born November 24, 1857, who died November
11, 1868; and Carrie C., born January 24, 1862, wife of Lem A. LYON, officer
of the Reform school with temporary residence in Vergennes, Vt., and permanent
residence at Waterbury Center.
Daniel Smith, Jr., was bore in Waterborough, Me., about 1780. In
1802 he married Polly STRAW. In 1812 he set out on foot for Vermont, and
settled near Waterbury Center. Here his wife joined him with their five
children, in 1814. This journey was made with an ox-team. The families
of Mr. and Mrs. Smith represented wealth and influence in Maine, and were
descendants of the earliest settlers. Whether it was ambition or adventure
that influenced Mr. SMITH to settle here, is not known; but it is certain
that he never rose to distinction. He worked several years in the saw-mill
of S. JONES, and labored in other places, until he was nearly disabled
by a stroke of shaking palsy. His son Thomas bought for him a home on Alder
brook, and afterwards assisted in his support to the close of his life.
Mr. SMITH died in 1854 and his wife in 1853. Rebecca, the oldest of their
children, remained in Maine with her friends. Valentine married Lizzie
BRIDGES in 1827. In 1865 he emigrated to Illinois, where he died in 1870.
In 1828 Sarah married Israel STRAW and emigrated to Ohio. Ruth married
Hiram PARCHER, resided in Waterbury and Duxbury, and died at the latter
place in 1880. One of her seven children was a soldier in Co. B, 10th Vt.
Regt., in the late war. Mary died at her father's home, in 1828, aged twenty
years, and another died in infancy. Thomas, before mentioned, twin brother
of Valentine, married Laura KNIGHT, and spent his whole life in Waterbury,
dying in 1880. His wife died in 1874, and later he married her sister Abigail,
who had always lived in the family, and who yet survives. Thomas SMITH
possessed an unblemished character, was fearless, generous to a fault,
and physically very strong. His feats of endurance are almost incredible.
He went from his home to Stowe, six miles distant, and split 525 hemlock
rails for Samuel HART, and returned home the same day. On another occasion
he cut the timber and split 400 rails in one day for Erastus PARKER. In
1849 his son Emory fell twenty feet and eight inches from a tree, and struck
with the full force of the fall on the bridge of his nose, across the edge
of a cauldron kettle, and nearly severed the top of his head. Mr. SMITH
then went on foot three miles for a doctor, and returned in forty-four
minutes. On account of his great strength his aid was sought for at raisings
and bees, and was heavily taxed in consequence. Mr. SMITH devoted his life
to the care of his children, and to the aged members of his and his wife's
families. He was the father of twelve children, all by his first wife.
Five died in infancy, and one at the age of ten years. His third son went
West at the age of twenty-two years, and three years later was murdered
in Wisconsin, by his employer HUBBARD, to avoid paying him his wages. HUBBARD
soon after left the place and was shot from a boat in Kansas. The remaining
four sons and one daughter are living, and all are married and well settled
The fourth son, Horschel F. SMITH, married Elizabeth M. YOUNG, in
1858, and settled, with his father's family, on the place where he was
born, and which is now, as it always has been, the roof-tree for all, and
has always been the home of from four to five generations at once. The
present occupant has not only kept up the place, but he has greatly improved
it. Horschel F. SMITH has had a very busy life. He and his brother William
C. were soldiers of Co. I, 1st Vt. Regt., and were with the regiment from
the time it went out until its discharge. At Gettysburg he carried a wounded
prisoner from the field on his back; and single handed took two stalwart
prisoners into camp. He is a practical surveyor, and in the last twenty-eight
years has done much labor in this line in the survey of the timberlands
in this section of Vermont. He has also erected a large number of buildings,
and repaired many. Mr. SMITH is the originator of the "Polaris" potato,
which is a fine new variety, and is becoming very popular. He has served
as clerk of his church and his school district a number of years, and has
been the superintendent of the Sunday-school fifteen years. He is the father
of six children.
Patrick BRYAN, the first Catholic in Waterbury, was a tailor. He
came from London to Quebec, and from there directly to Waterbury about
1814 or 15. His family were six sons and two daughters. The father and
mother and one or two, if not all, of the children, who have died in Waterbury,
were buried in Burlington. Mr. BRYAN did not remain at the village long.
He soon purchased and moved to a farm near the Center. Many years ago his
house was a resort for Irishmen, and Catholic meetings were held there.
Solomon NEWCOMB was born in Shelburne, Mass., August 2, 1780. September
24, 1803, he married Sarah PULMAN, who was born August 10, 1782. Mr. NEWCOMB
was a farmer and joiner. He settled in Waterbury, Vt., in 1816, where he
died December 9, 1845. Mrs. NEWCOMB died December 21, 1841. Their children
were Elymas S., born February 4, 1805; Sarah T., born September 13, 1806;
Wealthy W., born November 28, 1808; and Irenaeus P., born April 23, 1814.
Elymas NEWCOMB married Harriet R. ALLEN, September 16, 1832. He died September
5, 1869. His widow still survives him. Judge NEWCOMB was a prominent citizen
of his town and county, and a solid pillar of his church.
George W. RANDALL was born on Ricker Mountain, September 18, 1825.
His father, Oliver C., and grandfather, William RANDALL, were the pioneer
settlers there about 1820. His father died in 1830. About a year later
his mother, who was the daughter of Moses COFFIN, removed to Stowe, and
soon after married George AKELY. Mr. RANDALL passed his early boyhood with
his aunt, Mrs. DAVIS, whose wants he now takes pleasure in supplying. At
the age of sixteen years Mr. RANDALL chose the trade of blacksmith, and
became an apprentice in Waterbury, and boarded in the family of R. C. SMITH,
Esq., where he remained three years. In prosecuting his trade later he
was injured by a horse, and was obliged to abandon it. This injury probably
changed the current of his life. While with Esquire SMITH he observed that
it was necessary to obtain a fair education in order to gain a standing
in food society and success in life. He had access to the common school,
and later finished an academic course at Bakersfield Academy. The three
succeeding winters he taught a district school. Since that time he has
experienced an eventful and busy life. At the breaking out of the "gold
fever," in 1849, he abandoned the profession of law, which he had commenced
in the office of Hon. Paul DILLINGHAM, and went to California, over the
Isthmus of Panama; run the gauntlet of cholera, reached San Francisco,
paid fifty cents for the privilege of sleeping on a pile of shavings, went
into the mines, remaining fourteen months, and returned to Waterbury, after
an absence of seventeen months and eight days, with an accumulation of
$5,000. Two years later, in January, 1853, he again started for California,
contracted yellow fever, was the only one of a company of thirty who survived
the attack, and in consequence of it had poor health and returned home
without financial success. Since that time he has been engaged in dealing
in real estate, farming, and lumbering. He now cultivates about 700 or
800 acres, and owns of timberland 3,000 acres. His mills cut about 1,000,000
feet of lumber annually and he gives employment to a force of fifty men.
Mr. Randall has found time to give his attention to the interests of his
town, and although he first cast his lot with the Democrats he had the
courage to follow his convictions, and at the organization of the Republican
party he joined its ranks. He has been auditor, lister, and selectman,
and in 1872 represented his town in the state legislature, and again in
1882, when he was instrumental in obtaining the charter for the incorporation
of Waterbury village.
Thomas EDDY, born in Middlebury, Mass., married Elizabeth PUTNAM,
a relative of Gen. PUTNAM. Mr. EDDY served three years in the Revolutionary
war, was crippled, and received a pension. In 1821 he came to Waterbury
with his son William, with whom he lived until his death, in 1840. William
EDDY, just mentioned, ultimately settled on the fine farm on Thatcher's
Branch, where his son Harvey now resides. Mr. EDDY was a prominent man
and held roost of the town offices. Nancy EDDY, daughter of Thomas and
Elizabeth (PUTNAM) EDDY, was born March 31, 1797. She married Elinas HUMPHREY,
February 24, 1820. Mr. HUMPHREY was born May 18, 1799. They settled to
Waterbury before 1824, as their oldest son was born there in that year.
Mr. HUMPHREY was a farmer and joiner, and one of the finest workmen in
the state. He was a man of good abilities, very well informed, and a self-made
man. Mr. and Mrs. HUMPHREY reared nine children, viz.: William, Horace
W., Juliet, George S., Morton, Heman E., Ann Maria, Charles O., and Mason
W. Horace W., born February 8, 1824, married Ruth W. KNIGHT, of Pelham,
N. H. In 1861 he enlisted from Pelham in the Union army, went to the front,
and remained in the service the ensuing four years, participating in the
battles of Cedar Creek, Winchester, and Fisher Hill, and was discharged
at the close of the war without a scar, but broken in health. He now resides
in his native town (Waterbury). Charles O. HUMPHREY, born October 24, 1838,
married Eliza GROVER, and is a farmer in Waterbury. He has a good academic
education, and in early life taught district schools. He served as a soldier
in the Union army in the late war. Mason W. HUMPHREY, born June 27, 1841,
also received an academic education, and taught district schools. He also
enlisted in the Union service, as a private, was promoted to the rank of
lieutenant, and was killed in battle June 3, 1864.
The CLOUGH family in America, as near as can be ascertained, are
of English origin. One branch very early settled in Guilford, N. H., and
intermarried with the CHASE family. Simon CLOUGH, after serving through
the Revolutionary war, removed to Barnston, Canada, where he remained the
residue of his life. His brother Joseph located at Three Rivers, and their
brother Aaron came from Guilford, N. H., to Stowe, Vt., and settled as
a farmer, and died there, aged about eighty years. Aaron CLOUGH was born
in Seabroke, N. H., January 21, 1763. He married Elizabeth CLARK, October
17, 1781, and their ten children were Elizabeth, born July 29, 1782; Patience,
born December 29, 1785; Abigail, born November 9, 1789; Marcy, born January
2, 1792; Aaron, Jr., born March 23, 1795; Moses, born April 23, 1798; Thaddeus,
born October 9, 1801; Eli, born June 9, 1803; Solomon, born April 9, 1808;
and Relief, born August 18, 1809. His son Thaddeus married Clarissa MORSE,
of Waterbury, and after a few years' residence in Stowe made a final and
permanent settlement in Waterbury) Where he was a successful farmer, and
gained the confidence of his townsmen, who honored him with the offices
Within their gift. He was selectman twelve successive years, and representative
in the state legislature in 186, 1847, and 1848. He died November 28, 1883,
at the advanced age of eighty- years. His wife died September 30, 1876,
aged eighty-four years.
Columbus F., son of Thaddeus and Clarissa (MORSE) CLOUGH, born in
Stowe, June 28, 1833, spent his time, like other farmers' boys, in hard
labor and attending the common school of his district, and later attended
the academies of Morrisville and Bakersfield, where he fitted for college
at the early y age of seventeen years. By the advice of Hon. Paul DILLINGHAM
he gave up his intention of taking a college course, and entered the law
office of Mr. DILLINGHAM, and was prepared to practice at twenty years
of age, but was obliged to wait until the session of the court and his
age would allow of his admission to the bar. During the four and a half
years which he spent under the tutelage of Gov. DILLINGHAM he was required
to assist in the trial of his cases in justices' courts, and did his entire
work of that kind the last year, Mr. CLOUGH was admitted to the bar of
Vermont, March 11, 1856. About this time he was encumbered with business
matters, in the closing out of which he was detained in Waterbury, and
prevented from going West, where he had offers of unusually fine business
connections. The business before referred to, and some practice in his
profession, occupied his time for five or six years. January 26, 1861,
he removed to Waitsfield, where he soon built up an extensive and successful
practice in Washington Windsor, Orange, Chittenden, and Lamoille counties.
He remained in Waitsfield until October 17, 1867 he returned to Waterbury.
He has been connected in partnership with Hon. Hiram CARLETON, judge of
probate, now residing in Montpelier, and also with Edwin F. PALMER, Esq.,
of Waterbury. July 29, 1861, Mr. CLOUGH united in marriage with Persis
L., daughter of Charles S. and Nancy ALLEN, of Waterbury. He is independent
in politics, but has decided convictions on the question of finance and
other national questions. He is a member of the Congregational church.
S. Raymond HUSE, son of Eben B. HUSE, was born in Brookfield, Vt.,
in 1828, and came to Waterbury with his step-father, Ziba SMITH, in 1832.
His father died when he was but six months old. Mr. HUSE spent his time,
like other farmers' boys, at work in summer and at school in winter, and
finished his education at Bakersfield Academy, under the able instruction
of Prof. SPAULDING, A. M., LL. D. At the age of twenty-one years he bought
the fine and productive farm where he now lives. He has devoted his energies
in its constant improvement, and with marked and satisfactory results.
Mr. HUSE is not a politician, but is a Republican, and has been persuaded
by his townsmen to serve them as selectman, auditor, and lister, which
positions he gave the same attention that he does to his individual affairs.
Mr. HUSE ranks with our most intelligent farmers, is an extensive reader,
and has accumulated a fine library. He married Augusta S. MILES, of Acton,
Mass. Their children are George R., an engineer in Troy, N. Y.; Louis N.,
a farmer with his father; and Joseph S., yet in school.
Dr. Henry JANES, son of Henry F. and Fanny (Butler) JANES was born
in Waterbury, January 24, 1832, The following was condensed by Hon. Edwin
F. PALMER from biographies of the “Rocky Mountain Medical” published at
Washington, D. C., in 1877:
"The Doctor received his education at Morrisville and at St. Johnsbury
academies. His medical studies were commenced in 1852, at Waterbury, under
Dr. J. B. WOODARD. He attended his first course of medical lectures at
Woodstock College, in 1852, and two courses subsequently at the College
of Physicians and Surgeons in New York, where he graduated in 1855, and
was appointed assistant and afterwards house physician in Bellevue hospital,
New York city. In 1856 he went into practice at Chelsea, Mass., and in
1857 returned to Waterbury, where he soon acquired a good professional
business. In 1861 he entered the army as surgeon of the 3d Vt. Regt., in
1863 was commissioned surgeon of the U. S. army, and in 1865 was breveted
lieutenant. The greater part of his military service was spent in hospital-duty.
In the fall of 1862 he was in charge of a hospital at Burkettsville; in
1863, in the winter, at Frederick, Md.; in the spring in the hospitals
of the 6th Army Corps, and in the summer and fall in the army hospitals
in and about Gettysburg, and at the Letterman general hospital, in which
were about 2,000 severely wounded from the Gettysburg battlefield. In the
winter and spring of 1864 he was in South Street general hospital, at Philadelphia,
and in the summer of the same year was in charge of a hospital steamer.
From the fall of 1864 till the close of the war he was in charge of Sloan
general hospital, at Montpelier. He left the army in 1866, and spent a
portion of that year in New York, making a special study of injuries to
the bones and brain. In 1867 he returned to Waterbury, where he has since
been actively engaged in practice, with the exception of a portion of 1874,
when he was traveling in Europe. His practice is large in the treatment
of nervous-diseases, surgery, and in consultations with neighboring physicians.
In 1869 and '70 he published, in the "Transactions of Vermont Medical society,"
a paper on the treatment of gun-shot fractures, especially of the femur;
in 1871, '72, and '73 papers on some of the incidents following amputations;
in 1874 amputations at the knee-joint; in 1877 a paper on spinal hemiplegia.
At the 9th International Congress held at Washington, D. C., Dr. JANES
read two papers, one on non-fatal penetrating gun-shot wounds of the abdomen,
treated without laparotomy, and the other, gun-shot fractures of the femur,
giving the results of treatment of 427 cases, and also 263 cases treated
conservatively -- a larger number than has been treated by any other living
person. In 1880 Dr. JANES was elected by the unanimous vote of the legislature
a trustee of the University of Vermont, and he is also one of the medical
committee of the Mary Fletcher hospital, at Burlington."
Joseph MOODY married Avis CHESLEY, and settled in Vershire, Vt.,
where he was a farmer and an extensive dealer in live stock and real estate.
In January, 1835, he came to Waterbury and continued his farming and buying
and selling, until his shattered health, at the age of sixty-six years,
compelled him to retire from active life. He died in Waterbury, April 15,
1857, at the age of seventy-seven years. Mrs. MOODY died September 7, 1848,
aged sixty-six years. Nathaniel MOODY, son of Joseph and Avis (CHESLEY)
MOODY, was born in Vershire, Vt., June 18, 1806. He was inured to hard
labor on his father's farm, received a little "schooling" in his district,
and at the age of twenty-one years he struck out for himself and was a
farm laborer to the age of twenty-six years. March 26, 1832, he united
in marriage with Miss. Huldah CHANDLER, of Strafford, Vt., and settled
on a farm in his native town. He at once engaged in farming and dealing
in cattle which he drove to Boston market. His earliest trips to Boston
were performed on foot both, ways. In March, 1837, Mr. MOODY came to Waterbury,
where he continued a farmer and increased his trade in live stock, dealing
with the farmers of Washington and adjacent counties. In 1852 he removed
to the pleasant village of Waterbury, where he now resides (1888), at the
advanced age of more than four-score years. Mr. MOODY has yet a vigorous
mind, transacts all his own financial affairs, and is giving his attention
to the business interests of the Waterbury National bank, of which he has
been one of its able directors for fifteen or twenty years. Mrs. MOODY
died March 14, 1879. September 7, 1880, Mr. MOODY married Miss Martha J.
JOSLYN, his present wife. Mr. MOODY is a staunch citizen, and a member
and pillar of the Methodist church. George W. MOODY, son of Joseph and
Avis, was born September 20, 1822, and came to Waterbury in 1835. December
7, 1843, at the age of twenty-one years, he married Miss Lucia, daughter
of Capt. William and Jane (SMITH) EDDY. Mr. MOODY, like his father and
brothers, has been a farmer and speculator. The children of Mr. and Mrs.
G. W. MOODY are G. Eugene, born January 6, 1845; Edwin B., born August
18, 1846; L. Euphrasia, born November 8, 1848; Sarah E., born September
1, 1850; Emma C., born October 11, 1852; Calvin B., born October 26, 1855;
and, Nettie E., born February 23, 1860. G. Eugene MOODY married Alma HUSE,
March 8, 1866. He is one of the large proprietors of cultivated real estate,
and a bold speculator in all kinds of property. He holds the positions
of representative and selectman.
Dexter MAY, a pioneer of Berlin, settled at a very early date, before
1804, on the Winooski river, on the first farm below Montpelier Junction.
He was the father of twelve children, and died on the farm at the advanced
age of eighty-five years. His son Silas, born on the homestead, July 13,
1804, was educated in the common schools, was an extensive reader, and
accumulated quite a library, and by his course of reading and habits of
close observation acquired a fund of practical knowledge. September 1,
1833, he married Betsey FARRAR, of Moretown, and settled at once on a farm
in Montpelier, on the Middlesex road, about half a mile west of the State
House. In May, 1836, he removed to Waterbury and settled on the Stowe road,
one mile north of the Center village, where he resided until his death,
July 21, 1859. He was a man of influence and highly respected. In politics
he was an "old line Whig," and held the offices of selectman and justice
of the peace. He was an active member of the Methodist church, and a liberal
contributor to all its interests. Mrs. May survived her husband until 1873,
aged seventy-one years. Their children were Oscar W.; Sarah, who died in
infancy; Josephine, who married George N. GREELY, and resides in this town
on a farm on Gregg hill; and S. Aurora, who married Orlow W. BICKFORD,
and resides in Kansas. Oscar W. MAY, born July 22, 1834, spent his time,
like other farmers' boys, at work a portion of the year, but received a
good practical education at the district schools. When about eighteen years
of age he commenced teaching in the common schools, which he continued
with fine success for six successive winters. January 11, 1860, he married
Emma A. ATKINS, of Waterbury, and bought of the heirs of the estate the
homestead, which he still owns. He is a Republican, and has been in office
constantly the last twenty-five years. He was a selectman during the war
for the Union, and served in that capacity about five years, lister sixteen
years, and constable the last eleven consecutive years.
Thomas MONTGOMERY was born in Duxbury. His father emigrated from
Scotland to America, and settled in Duxbury at a very early date in the
history of that town. Thomas, before mentioned, married Lucy BLANCHARD
and settled in his native town, where he always resided. He was a mason
and farmer, and reared a large family, dying at the age of about eighty-six
years. His son John, born in Duxbury, November 19, 1794, married Thyphena
TOWLE, and settled on the homestead. In 1836 he removed to Waterbury and
first settled on a farm on Perry hill. About 1873 he removed to a fine
farm at the mouth of Cotton brook, on Waterbury river, where he died May
7, 1887, aged over ninety-two years. Mr. MONTGOMERY was a Democrat, and
held several offices of trust. He possessed a very retentive memory, which
remained unimpaired until the close of his long life. He was highly respected
as a citizen and neighbor, and on account of his excellent judgment was
sought as a juryman in the trial of important cases at law. His children
were Lucy (Mrs. Samuel LEWIS), John E., George R., who married Sylvia FARR,
and resides on a farm in Waterbury, Mary A. (Mrs. Dr. HUSE), Eliza (Mrs.
Silas PERRY), deceased, and Charles C., who married Carrie LEWIS, is a
farmer, and at present resides on the estate of his father.
William WELLS, born in Waterbury, December 14, 1837, entered the
service as a private soldier in Co. C, 1st Regt. Vt. Cav., in 1861, was
promoted to first lieutenant, captain, major, colonel, brevet brigadier-general,
brigadier-general, and brevet major-general of volunteers, and was mustered
out of service January 16, 1866. He represented Waterbury in the legislature
in 1865 and 1866; was adjutant and inspector-general of Vermont from October
1, 1866, to May 1, 1872, when he was appointed collector of customs for
the District of Vermont, which position he held until after Grover Cleveland
was inaugurated President, in 1885. He is a member of the firm of Wells,
Richardson & Co., wholesale druggists of Burlington.
David C. SHEPLE was born in Massachusetts, December 25, 1789, and
in 1814 came to Calais, Vt. He married Phebe R. BANCROFT, who was born
in Petersham, Mass., April 19, 1789. Four children were born to them --
three sons and one daughter. In 1828 they moved to Waterbury, having purchased
a large farm known as the Gen. Peck farm, on which he remained until his
death. He was in the mercantile business in Waterbury several years with
A. S. RICHARDSON, the firm being Richardson & Sheple. Mr. SHEPLE died
October 8, 1864, and Mrs. SHEPLE January 16, 1862.
Curtis N. ARMS was born in Duxbury, December 31, 1821. In 1837,
at the age of sixteen, he came to Waterbury and engaged as a clerk in the
employ of D. & W. CARPENTER. In 1846 he formed a partnership with J.
G. STIMSON, which continued six years. He commenced business alone in 1852,
and continued until impaired health made it necessary to rest in 1865.
He sold to, and was succeeded by, Wyman & Smith. About 1864 he commenced
wholesale business, and retired from the firm of Arms & Haines in May,
1887,. after an active business career of fifty years. He was town treasurer
twelve years before and during the war period, is now a director of Waterbury
National bank, and treasurer of Winooski Valley Agricultural society. Although,
he has never entered the political field for promotion, he has often been
called by his fellow townsmen to positions of responsibility and trust,
and has discharged these duties with fidelity and good judgment.
Gideon RICKER and his son Gideon came to Waterbury from Waterborough,
Me., in the spring of 1839, and settled on Ricker Mountain, so-named in,
honor of Joseph RICKER, a brother of Gideon, Sr., who was the first permanent
settler of the neighborhood. Gideon RICKER continued to reside on the place
where he settled until his death, April 11, 186 2, at the age of eighty-eight
years. He and his son were active and energetic business men, and successfully
prosecuted lumbering and farming. About ten years before the death of the
senior the property was transferred to the younger, who still owns it.
He married Miss Mary LORD, of Maine, who died on the place in December,
1886, aged sixty-nine years. Their children, who attained mature age, are
Mark, Jane (Mrs. Albert TOWN), who resides in the neighborhood of her old
home, Simon, Eliza, Levi, Ashley, and Jackson.
Dr. Thomas B. DOWNER, an early, if not the earliest, physician of
Stowe, came to Waterbury Center about 1840, and at once commenced the practice
of his profession, which he continued with more than ordinary success to
the time of his death. The Doctor had a will of his own, which was a potent
cause of his leaving Stowe. At the formation of Lamoille county he declared
he would pay no tax to the new organization; hence his removal. He was
medium in stature, inclining to corpulency. His voice was deep and heavy;
his manners brusque and almost repulsive. His figure bestride the "old
mare" was daily seen on the country roads, and approach was, heralded by
his peculiar te-he ! which concluded his command to move along. He always
had a word of greeting for every one he met, and under the rough exterior
possessed a kind and ready sympathy. He was emphatically everybody's doctor.
He attended, with and without compensation, rich and poor alike. He died
in 1851, and was buried in Stowe. His daughter Clarissa married Lyman SMITH,
who died suddenly, aged about forty years. Mr. and Mrs. SMITH were parents
of three children who arrived at adult age, viz.: John Downer, Clarissa,
and George Edward, who was of a happy disposition, an athlete, and a general
favorite. He entered the Union army when only eighteen years old and served
three years in Co. D, 2d Vt. Regt., without a scratch, until at the battle
of the Wilderness, where he was shot through the left lung, and was at
once discharged, but lived an invalid until his death, in 1885. His widow
and son reside in Stowe. John D. SMITH married Mary Jane, daughter of Riverius
CAMP, the pioneer merchant of Stowe, and came to Waterbury Center about
the time that his grandfather, Dr. DOWNER, came. He was a merchant a few
years, and was elected town clerk in 1851, and held the office continually
till his death, in 1873. He was also justice of the peace and lister, and
represented Waterbury in the legislature in 1856 and '57. He was a practical
land surveyor, and did general conveyancing; advised the people in matters
of law, and settled a large number of estates. He was a very extensive
reader, possessed a large library, and was so well informed that his advice
was sought on all questions. He died without an enemy, April 7, 1873. In
religion Mr. SMITH was a Universalist, and believed in the ultimate salvation
of all mankind. In politics he commenced an "old line Whig," and entered
the Republican ranks at its formation, and did good service for his party.
Mrs. SMITH still survives, and resides with her son Frank N. Frank N. SMITH
succeeded his father as town clerk, which position he has held to the present
time. He is also engaged in conveyancing, settling estates, etc. He is
a reader and retains his father's library, and has the same liberal sentiments
in religion and politics.
William MOODY, son of Joseph MOODY, was born in Vershire, Vt., in
1808. He had only a common school education, and spent his boyhood on his
father's farm at hard labor, with the usual "three months' schooling" in
winter. In early manhood he married Julia GILMAN, of his native town, settled
on a farm, which he purchased mainly on credit, in the town of Strafford,
where he resided until 1846, when he removed to Waterbury, and owned and
cultivated several farms, and speculated in live stock and real estate.
About ten years later he removed to Waterbury village, and there spent
the remainder of his life. He owned and conducted the Washington House
two or three years, until it was destroyed by fire. This hotel was on the
site of the present Waterbury House. Mr. MOODY was an old line Democrat,
and remained loyal to that party until the seceding states attempted to
dissolve the Union. He then gave his influence and votes, up to the time
of his death, to the Republican party. In religion he affiliated with the
Methodist church, and contributed generously to its material interests.
Mr. MOODY was always the spirited citizen, aiding in all the enterprises
to advance the real improvement of the society in which he moved; and by
a life of integrity he had the confidence and esteem of his large circle
of acquaintances. He died September 5, 1865. Mrs. MOODY survived her husband
until December, 1870. Mr. and Mrs. MOODY reared four daughters and one
son, viz.: Malvina E. (Mrs. George D. ROBINSON), who resides in Stowe;
Susan G. (Mrs. N. K. BROWN), who resides in Burlington; Julia J. (Mrs.
S. C. TOWN), who resides in Waterbury; Frances E., widow of Asa C. ATHERTON,
who also resides in Waterbury; and Justin W., who married Miss Hattie F.
BROWN, of Montpelier. At sixteen years of age he was assistant postmaster
and clerk in the book and stationery store of N. K. BROWN. This position
he retained until he was twenty-one years of age, and had sole charge of
the office the last three years. He then received the appointment of postmaster,
bought the store, and continued postmaster until 1865, when he resigned.
He is now giving his attention to the improvement of a fine farm. He resides
on Union street; in Waterbury village.
William DEAL, who was born in Phillipsburgh, P. Q., settled permanently
in Waterbury village in 1851. He married Asentha, daughter of Chester MARSHALL,
of Duxbury. Mr. DEAL is the leading architect and builder of the town.
He has given this occupation his attention the last thirty-eight years.
His skill and great energy bring to him the largest jobs. There are many
buildings in. the village that he has either built or repaired. The most
notable are M. M. KNIGHT's residence and store, C. C. WARREN's residence
and tannery, the block containing the stores of M. O. EVANS, J. BURLEIGH,
and F. B. TAYLOR, the Waterbury Hotel, and the new bank block.
Dr. Horace FALES was born in Sharon, Vt., February 16, 1823, and
spent most of the time there and in adjoining towns until 1843. He then
attended the Kimball Union Academy, at Meriden, N. H., where he received
his academic education preparatory to the study of the medical profession.
In 1845 he entered the office of his uncle, Dr. Reuben SPALDING, in Brattleboro,
Vt., where he commenced the study of medicine, and graduated at the Woodstock
Medical College in June, 1848, a self-educated physician, having sustained
himself without aid by his own industry in the practice of dentistry. He
soon after located in Waterbury, where he practiced both medicine and dentistry
until the winter of 1849, when he left for the purpose of finding a more
favorable location. In March, 1850, he removed to Middlesex, Vt., where
he continued in successful practice six years. In 1856 he returned to Waterbury,
where he had a large and lucrative practice to the time of his death, September
15, 1882. In the thirty-six years of Dr. FALES's practice in Waterbury
and surrounding towns he fairly won a leading rank in his chosen profession.
He was possessed of keen insight in the nature of disease, and his cool
judgment made him a safe counselor. "Few doctors ever approached the sick
room whose manner and words were better adapted to inspire courage in the
invalid." As a citizen Dr. FALES was public spirited, and ever ready to
aid every enterprise for the advancement of the society of his town. In
May, 1851, he married Henrietta A., daughter of David G. SHEPLE, of Waterbury,
an amiable woman of fine abilities, who survives her husband and resides
in Waterbury village.
Charles C. ROBINSON, son of Noah and Calista (RUSSELL) ROBINSON,
was born in Stowe, November 21, 1833. Mr. Robinson, after leaving the common
school, received an academic education at the academy of Bakersfield. February
18, 1864, he married Mary Jane PRESCOTT, of Waterbury. They settled on
a fine farm near Waterbury Center, where they now reside. Mr. Robinson
is a Democrat, and although his party is only a weak minority in Waterbury
he is so much appreciated and respected by his townsmen that they have
elected him for many years to the offices of selectman, overseer of the
poor, and auditor. He has also been the standard bearer of his party for
the position of representative in the state legislature, and received much
more than his party vote. Mr. and Mrs. ROBINSON have four children, viz.:
Harvey P., Carrie E., Ethel C., and Charles C., all of whom reside with
George C. WASHBURNE, son of Gamaliel and Caroline C. (STEVENS) WASHBURNE,
was born in Montpelier, November 21, 1845. He resided with his parents
in his native village until he was fourteen years of age, and spent his
time in attendance at the public school, where he laid the foundation for
his substantial education. After spending some time in Boston, with his
brother, attending the Quincy School, he went to Philadelphia, Pa., and
entered a drug store, with the intention of mastering the trade, and making
it his future business. Next year, at an early age, he responded
to his country's call and entered the Union army, in Co. A., 184th Regt.
Pa. Vols., where he served until Lee's surrender, in 1865. His service
was in the hospitals. He then decided on the profession of medicine, and
immediately after his discharge from the army entered the University of
Pennsylvania, where he was graduated in 1867, after two years' study. In
the same season he located in Hardwick, Vt., where he practiced with success
until 1870. He then removed to Waterbury, where he now resides and has
built up a large and successful practice. Dr. WASHBURNE is a member of
the Episcopal church of Montpelier; but as there is no church of that order
m Waterbury he attends the Congregational church of his village and aids
in its support. In March, 1868, Dr. WASHBURNE united in marriage with Mrs.
Charlotte L. DELANO, daughter of Edwin and Charlotte LYMAN, of Montreal,
P. Q. They have a son, Gamaliel, and two daughters, Caroline and Katherine
M. In the years 1977, '78, and '79 Dr. WASHBURNE held the important position
of superintendent of schools of Waterbury, and performed its duties with
Rev. Leonard TENNEY, son of Benjamin and Betsey (TAYLOR) TENNEY,
was born in Groton, N. H., August 5, 1814. In October, 1831, he united
with the Congregational church of his native town, and in March, 1833,
he began to prepare for college, under the instruction of Rev. Henry WOOD,
of Haverhill, N. H. A year later he entered Kimball Union Academy, and
remained there till he entered Dartmouth College, in 1836. During his academic
and college course he devoted a portion of his time to teaching singing
and public schools. After he had finished his college course he taught
a year and a half in Lyme and Hebron, N. H. In the spring of 1842 he began
the study of theology at Andover Theological Seminary, and finished the
course in the spring of 1844. September following he commenced to preach
in Jaffrey, N. H., as the colleague of Rev. Laban AINSWORTH, where he remained
until August, 1857. While in Jaffrey he served two years as commissioner
of education for Cheshire county. He removed to Thetford, Vt., in. 1857i
and was pastor of the church of that place until the close of the year
1867. He represented Thetford in the legislature of 1866 and again in 1867.
January 1, 1868, he accepted the pastorate of the church in Barre, and
remained in charge of that church until May, 1881, when, on account of
illness, he resigned his position. Later he was in charge of the Vermont
Bible society nearly three years, when, he purchased a house in Waterbury,
where he now resides. For more than twenty-five years he has been superintendent
of schools. He married Malvina BAKER, of Lebanon, N. H., and their union
is blessed with a daughter and three sons.
Emory G. HOOKER, M. D., son of Liberty H. and Almira E. (BLAKE)
HOOKER, was born in Cabot, Vt., February 19, 1839. He remained with his.
parents until he was twenty years of age, engaged in labor on the farm
and in the saw-mills of his father, and attending the district school and
the academy at Barre, where, under the tutelage of Prof. Jacob SPAULDING,
he completed his academic studies. He then decided to enter the medical
profession, and commenced a course of study in the office of Drs. CLARK
and RUBLEE, of Montpelier, where he continued for about three years, but
in the time he was West about a year and a half, teaching, and attending
a course of medical lectures at Ann Arbor, Mich. In the winter of 1864
and '65 he was six months in the College of Physicians and Surgeons in
New York city, where he graduated. He then located in Waitsfield, Vt.,
where he remained in successful practice the ensuing sixteen years. In
1881 he came to Waterbury, where he immediately had a large professional
business, which he continues, to the present writing (1888). December 28,
1865, he married Kate L. KNEELAND, of Waterbury, and they have one daughter,
Dr. Ebenezer J. FOSTER, son of Leonard R. FOSTER, whose grandfather,
Isaac: FOSTER, was a pioneer of Moretown, as was also his maternal grandfather,
Ebenezer JOHNSON, was born in Moretown, January 15, 1847. When about fifteen
years of age he enlisted in Co. B, l0th Vt. Regt., as a drummer, and remained
continually with his regiment until it was mustered out of service at the
close of the war, in July, 1865: Dr. FOSTER was a general favorite with
his regiment, and was given the pet name of "the Little Drummer Boy of
the Tenth." Soon after his return home, in 1865, he decided on the profession
of medicine and continued his education, as preparatory to its accomplishment,
and in 1867 entered the Hahnemann Medical College at Philadelphia, where
he graduated. Next he took an extra course in the Philadelphia School of
Anatomy and Surgery, and later an extra course in the New York Homeopathic
College. Dr. FOSTER is also a thorough music scholar, and excels in its
execution. He has given his attention to the fine arts, and has produced
paintings of genuine merit. He practiced his profession in Brooklyn, N.
Y., with very fair success about two years, when he went West, and had
fine success in Wisconsin, but eventually settled in Minneapolis, where
he built up an extensive and lucrative practice, which he left about five
years ago and returned to Waterbury, his native county, to perform the
filial duty of administering to the comforts of his aged father, who is
over four-score years of age. He now has an extensive practice in Waterbury
and adjacent towns.
Will F. MINARD, son of R. W. MINARD, was born in Hinesburgh, Vt.,
May 13, 1867. He was educated at Hinesburgh and Bristol academies, read
medicine at Burlington with Dr. G. E. E. SPARHAWK about four years, entered
the Hahnemann Medical College, where he graduated in 1887, at the head
of his class. He returned to Burlington and practiced with Dr. SPARHAWK
about one year and six months, and November 16, 1888, settled in Waterbury,
where he is in the practice of his profession with every prospect of building
up a successful business. September 20, 1886, Dr. MINARD married Mrs. Clarissa
C. SMITH, of Waterbury Center.
The Revolutionary soldiers who settled in Waterbury and died there
were Capt. Thomas JONES, Aaron WILDER, Gov. Ezra BUTLER, Zachariah BASSETT,
Moses NELSON, David TOWN, John HUDSON, D. SLOAN, Benjamin CONANT, Paul
DILLINGHAM, Asaph ALLEN, Isaac MARSHALL, Thomas EDDY, Alphas SHELDON, Joseph
HUBBARD, Stephen JONES, Asa POLAND, and George KERMAN.
More than forty of the sons of Waterbury went out in the War Of
All through the dark days of the war for the Union, Waterbury patriotically
responded to the repeated calls for men until she had sent to the seat
of war 211 of her sons. Of this number are the gallant Gen. William WELLS,
Gen. William W. HENRY, and the lamented Major Edwin DILLINGHAM, who was
killed at Winchester, September 19, 1864. Seventeen were killed, or died
of wounds received in battle; eighteen died of diseases; and one committed
suicide. Of those who returned at the expiration of their term of service,
or at the close of the war, many brought germs of disease that caused their
early , death, and others were crippled and maimed for life.
First Methodist Episcopal Church
The First Methodist Episcopal church in Waterbury was organized
at Waterbury Center, by Elder STEBBINS, it is said in 1800, with Thomas
Guptil, class-leader, and fourteen other members. Their present and first
church edifice was built of brick in 1833, and will comfortably seat an
audience of 250 persons, which, with the grounds and all other church property,
is valued at $4,000. The present number of members is eighty, and Rev.
Harvey WEBSTER is their pastor. The Sunday-school has fourteen officers
and teachers, and eighty-two scholars.
Methodist Episcopal Church
The Methodist Episcopal church of Waterbury village is located on
Sfowe street, and was organized in 1836. Their first and present house
of worship was erected of brick in 1841, and will comfortably seat 250
people. The church and site is valued at $3,000, and the parsonage at $2,500.
It has at the present time 189 members, and Rev. W. R. Davenport is their
pastor. The Sunday-school has sixteen officers and teachers and 175 scholars.
In 1799 the celebrated and eccentric Lorenzo Dow was appointed to “Essex
circuit,” which embraced Waterbury within its limits. So far as we know
this was the first Methodist preaching in town. Through Mr. DOW's efforts
a class was formed at Waterbury Center. The class soon grew into a regular
church organization. In 1836 a great revival occurred, and the church at
Waterbury village was formed. This is now one of the leading churches of
the denomination in the state, and has been served by several of the most
eminent pastors in the conference. Great revivals occurred under
the pastorates of Revs. H. W. WORTHEN and W. UNDERWOOD; the winter of 1888-89
also saw a goodly number converted. The venerable ex-Governor Paul DILLINGHAM
has been one of the pillars of the church from its organization, and to
him and wife its prosperity has been largely due. The present governor
of the state, Hon. W. P. DILLINGHAM, is also an honored office bearer in
the church, and is a tower of strength to the cause. The society contemplates
building an elegant brick edifice in the near future, and already has several
thousand dollars at interest for the purpose. Fifteen hundred dollars of
this sum was generously contributed by Nathaniel MOODY. Large numbers of
people converted at the altars of this church have gone to swell the working
force of other Methodist churches; some also to other denominations; and
the Rev. Calvin B. MOODY has joined the ranks of the Congregational ministry,
and is settled at Osage, Iowa.
First Congregational Church
The First Congregational church of Waterbury was organized July
l0, 1801, by the Rev. Jedediah BUSHNELL, a missionary from Connecticut,
and the following persons constituted its membership: Asaph ALLEN, Hugh
BLAIR, Moses BATES, Amos SLATE, Thomas KENNAN, Mary AUSTIN, Ruth RICH,
Samuel SLATE, David AUSTIN, Edward BATES, David TOWN, Esther SLATE, Zebulon
ALLEN, John BLAIR, Lydia TOWN, and Bathshaba SLATE. Rev. Jonathan HOVEY
was ordained and installed the first pastor, September 1, 1803, and he
was dismissed December 31, 1807. The church was without a pastor the ensuing
eighteen years, but regular meetings were held and sermons were read. In
1824 a meeting-house was erected by the citizens, and is now the house
of worship of this church. The whole number of members of this church since
its organization is about 400. The present membership is 107, and their
pastor is Rev. Charles M. SHELDON. The Sunday-school has an average attendance
of sixty scholars and eleven teachers. A Bible class is conducted by the
pastor, and J. C. GRIGGS is superintendent.
River Free Baptist Church
Waterbury River Free Baptist church is located on Waterbury river,
about two miles west of Waterbury Center. It was organized August 5, 1840,
by Rev. Ira GRAY, with eighteen members. Rev. Ira GRAY was their first
pastor. The society erected their first house of worship, of wood, in 1845,
which is still doing good service, and has a seating capacity for 280 persons.
The value of all church property, including grounds and buildings, is estimated
at $2,500. The present number of members is seventy-nine. Rev. F. H. BUTLER
is their pastor. The society has a Sunday-school of fifty members. The
church is free from debt, and owns a parsonage and a legacy of several
hundred dollars. At one time this church had a Sunday-school of over 200,
and a library of 600 volumes. Several hundred members of the church and
Sunday-school have gone to other places, first and last, including several
ministers, the church at the "Center," and a former branch up the river.
Waterbury Center Freewill Baptist Church
The Waterbury Center Freewill Baptist church was organized January
24, 1871, by a council appointed by the Huntington quarterly meeting of
the Freewill Baptists, with twenty-four members. Rev. D. H. ADAMS was their
first pastor. Their church edifice was built of wood at a cost of $3,000,
and has seats for an audience of 300. The present membership is fifty-one,
and Rev. E. B. FULLER statedly supplies the pulpit. The Sunday-school has
sixty-five members. This church was organized soon after Green Mountain
Seminary was opened, and the church held their meetings for public worship
in the seminary hall, until they changed to the church edifice where they
now worship. This house was owned at that time by the C. Baptists, but
was not occupied, and needed repairs. A majority of its pew owners, including
some Freewill Baptists, and others, made the needed repairs, and since
that time the Freewill Baptist church has occupied the house.
Roman Catholic Church
The Roman Catholic church in Waterbury. -- This mission, before
it became a parish with a residing pastor, was attended occasionally, first
by Father O'CALLAGHAN, from Burlington, then successively by Rev. J. DALY,
Rev. Father DROLET, the Reverend Oblate FATHERS, from Burlington, Rev.
Z. DRUON, and Rev. Joseph DUGLUE, the last two clergymen living then at
Montpelier. It was in 1857 that the old church, dedicated to St. Vincent
FERRIER, was built on the hill on the east side of the railroad; at a little
distance from the depot. It was enlarged about ten years afterwards by
Father DUGLUE. Rev. John GALLAGAN was appointed to take charge of the congregation.
He soon purchased a residence in Winooski, and that same year, 1869, bought
the adjoining lot where stands the Adventist meeting-house, which is now
enlarged and converted into a church. In 1882 the church of Waterbury was
dedicated to Almighty God under the vocable of St. Andrew the Apostle.
Waterbury is now attended regularly on every other Sunday by Rev. Father
Of Washington County, Vt. 1783-1899,
and Published by Hamilton Child,
By William Adams.
Journal Company, Printers and Binders.
N. Y.; April, 1889.
by Karima Allison, 2003