OF THE TOWN OF
DUMMERSTON lies in the eastern part of the county, in lat. 42°
56', and long. 4° 28', bounded north by Putney and Brookline, east
by the left bank of Connecticut river, south by Brattleboro, and west by
parts of Newfane and Marlboro. Dummerston was originally a part of the
Equivalent Lands, described on page 58, that name being applied to the
whole tract, in honor of William DUMMER, one of the principal proprietors.
In 1750 Joseph BLANCHARD, of Amherst, N. H., was sent to survey the territory.
His survey having been completed, the proprietors of the Equivalent Lands
petitioned the Governor of New Hampshire for a confirmatory grant of that
tract and a portion of the adjacent territory. Accordingly, on the 26th
of December, 1753, the "Equivalent Lands," together with a "considerable
quantity of other lands, was formed into three townships, beginning at
the north bounds of Hinsdale, on the west side of the river, and extending
back about six miles, and so far up the river" as to enclose the required
amount, and which was divided into the townships of Fulham, Putney and
Brattleboro. Fulham, which in old documents is also spelled Fullham and
Fullum, subsequently attained the ancient name of Dummerston, though at
what time is not positively known. As late as 1773, however, the territory
was known by both names. The charter deed allowed an area of 19,360 acres
to Fulham. On June 12, 176o, the restricted time for fulfilling some of
the conditions of the charter was extended, and was again extended July
The surface of the town is, in many parts, broken and uneven, though
there are large tracts of level, excellent farming land, Dummerston meadows
being noted for their fertility. The principal elevations are Black mountain,
of granite formation, in the central and southern part, Prospect hill in
the central part, Spaulding and Leverwood hills in the northern part, and
Stoddard hill in the western part. The scenery of the town is of the finest
in the county, the picturesqueness of White river valley being proverbial,
while many points of view are afforded that are grand in the extreme. White
river, the principal stream, flows a southeasterly course through the western
part of the township, having a number of small tributaries, while the eastern
portion of the territory is drained by tributaries of the placid Connecticut.
These several streams go far towards making up the scenic beauties of the
town, and at the same time afford many good mill-sites. The soil is, in
most localities, arable and easily cultivated. The rocks entering into
the geological structure of the territory are principally of the calciferous
mica schist and clay-slate formation, the former underlying the western,
and later the eastern portions. The granitic formation of Black mountain
has already been mentioned. It is white, flecked with black mica, and is
much used for monuments, building purposes, etc. LYON & Co. have a
quarry here where they employ about forty men. Primitive limestone also
occurs in beds. Specimens of tremolite, limpid quartz and galena, or the
sulphuret of lead, are also found here.
In 1880 Dummerston had a population of 816, and in 1882 it was divided
into eleven school districts and contained ten common schools, employing
four male and fifteen female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary
of $1,159.00. There were 176 pupils attending common school, while the
entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31st, was $1,345.40,
with D. L. MANSFIELD, superintendent.
DUMMERSTON (p. o.) is a small hamlet located in the central part
of the town. It consists of one church (Baptist), and about a dozen dwellings.
About sixty rods to the east is located the postoffice, and one mile east
is the hamlet of Slab Hollow, where are located a carriage shop, grist-mill,
saw-mill, blacksmith shop, etc. Dummerston station, on the Connecticut
River R. R., is located in the southeastern part of the town.
WEST DUMMERSTON, a post village and station on the Brattleboro &
Whitehall railroad, located in the western part of the town, has one church
(Baptist), a hotel, one store, a grist and saw-mill, a blacksmith shop,
the granite works of LYON & Co., and about twenty dwellings.
John TAFT's saw, shingle and cider-mill and jelly manufactory is
located on Stickney brook, on road 39.
George E. LYONS & Co.'s granite quarry, located on West river,
produces a large amount of granite, which is cut and shipped ready for
use in building bridges, piers, etc., giving employment to about forty
W. & W. E. COMBS's grist and saw-mill, located at West Dummerston,
is operated by water-power and is fitted with machinery for the manufacture
of board and dimension lumber, shingles, etc., and also with a mill for
grinding meal and feed, and a machine for polishing granite. The first
mill erected on this site is said to have been erected by Joseph DUNKLEE,
about sixty years ago, and was burned about 1853. The present mill was
erected by C. S. ROEL, in 1855 or '56.
Charles H. GRANT's stone quarry, located near West Dummerston, was
purchased by Mr. GRANT in 1882. He employs several men in quarrying and
Frederick F. CROSBY's grist and saw-mill, located on Cone brook,
road 48, was built by Ebenezer CONE, and was purchased by Mr. CROSBY in
1866. He grinds about 10,000 bushels of grain and cuts from 75,000 to 100,000
feet of lumber per annum.
Edward F. REED's saw-mill, located at Slab Hollow, cuts about 200,000
feet of lumber and 100,000 shingles per annum. Mr. REED also makes about
500 barrels of cider and 50,000 oak rims for baby carriages per year.
Franklin CROSBY's grist-mill, operated by George N. CROSBY, was
built in 1857. It has one run of stories and grinds about 7,000 bushels
of grain per annum.
Soon after the charter of Fulham was granted, John KATHAN, who had
resided within the limits of the town since the year 1752, united with
a number of persons, purchased in conjunction with them, from the New Hampshire
proprietors, a part of the township, and in the year 1764, according to
his own account, removed there, "with his wife and seven or eight helpless
children." "Possessing the qualities of industry and perseverance," says
HALL in his “History of Eastern Vermont," qualities especially necessary
to the successful management of a new settlement, he addressed himself
with energy to his task, and did actually clear and improve above a hundred
and twenty acres, and built a good dwelling-house, barn, and all necessary
offices, and also a saw-mill and potash works."' In order to guard his
improvements, he was "at a considerable expense in building a fort round
his house," and was “under the disagreeable necessity of residing therein
during the course of a tedious and distressing war." Misfortune rendered
his toil more severe. His eldest daughter was taken prisoner by the Indians,
and for two years and a half he knew nothing of her fate; but at the end
of that time she returned home, Col. Peter SCHUYLER having "paid a ransom
of four hundred livres for her redemption from captivity." In the year
of 1752 a ferry was established between Westmoreland, N. H., and the proprietary
of Dummerston, and about the same period a similar method of communication
was arranged between the latter place and the town of Chesterfield. The
settlement, although much disturbed by the French and Indian war, was not
allowed to die, and a few years after the restoration of order, John KATHAN
and his eighteen associates, with their families, were rapidly subduing
the forests of Fulham, and accomplishing the conditions of their charter.
In 1771 the settlement had increased to 189 souls, the enumeration
being as follows: fifty-four males under sixteen years of age; fifty-four
between the ages of sixteen and sixty; three over sixty; thirty-seven females
under the age of sixteen; forty above sixteen, and one colored male, forty-four
of the number being heads of families. In 1791 this population had increased
to 1,501, in 1800 to 1,692, and in 1810 to 1,704 souls, being the highest
population the town has ever had. Since then it has gradually fallen off
to the present small list of 816. The town was organized in 1771, when
Enoch COOK was chosen town clerk; Rufus SARGENT, Barzilla RICE, Ebenezer
HAVEN, and Daniel KATHAN, constables; and Ebenezer HAVENS, Leonard SPAULDING,
Thomas HOLTON, and Joseph HILDRETH, selectmen. The first justices of the
peace were Alexander KATHAN and Nathan DUNCAN, in 1786. The first representative
was Leonard SPAULDING in March, 1778. The first town meeting under the
charter was called in writing, the document being signed by the following
named individuals: Ebenezer HAVEN, Charles DAVENPORT, Daniel KATHAN, Enoch
COOK, John KILBURN, Samuel WISWALL, Josiah BOYDEN, Barzilla RICE, Rufus
SARGENT, Samuel DUTTON, Jr., Nathaniel FRENCH, Isaac MILLER, and Horace
MILLER. The meeting thus warned met at the house of Isaac MILLER, Monday,
March 9, 1771, when Alexander KATHAN was chosen moderator, and Enoch COOK,
clerk. Samuel WISWALL, Alexander KATHAN, and Enoch COOK were appointed
a committee to lay out roads, and Isaac MILLER and Benjamin JONES to act
in company with the said committee, "to view the public lots and choose
the spot to set a meeting-house." Alexander KATHAN was elected surveyor
of highways, and it was voted that each settler work four days on highway
improvements. And Charles DAVENPORT, David KATHAN, and Joseph HILDRETH
were appointed a committee "to look out a burying place."
David BENNETT was one of the early settlers of Dummerston. He was
twice married, reared a family of seventeen children, and died June 9,
1848. His son, Jonas G., born July 28, 1814, married Adaline M. MILLER,
reared four children, Franklin E., Ellen C., and Fayette O., and now resides
in Spafford county, Kansas.
William KELLEY was one of the early settlers of Dummerston. His
son Samuel, born in Dummerston in 1760, was thrice married, to Margaret
HOWE who bore him one child, to Rebecca CHOATE, who bore him three children,
and to Eunice CHOATE, who bore him four children, viz.: Harriet, Urial,
Austin and Benjamin F. He died in Wardsboro, in 1814. Benjamin F., the
youngest son was born in Wardsboro, April 1, 1806. He was twice married
and reared ten children, three of whom are now living. He resided in Wardsboro
until 1848, then in Newfane until 1866, when he removed to Brattleboro,
where he now resides, on road 5, the only one of Samuel's children living.
Isaac MILLER was of Scotch descent. He was born in 1708, and in
1739, married Sarah CROSBY, of Worcester, Mass. He had eight sons and four
daughters. March 5, 1767, he located on road 34, in Dummerston. He was
a civil engineer and surveyor, and in 1767 he surveyed the town into lots.
Jacob LAUGHTON, from Massachusetts, was born in 1761, and came to
Dummerston with his father, Samuel, in 1769. He married and settled on
road 10. The homestead farm, which has always been in the LAUGHTON family,
is now in possession of his grandson, Austin LAUGHTON, the youngest child
of Jacob LAUGHTON, Jr., who was the youngest of eight children raised by
John LAUGHTON, a son of Deacon John LAUGHTON, was born in 1770,
and came to Dummerston when about two years old. He married Sally MILLER,
of Dummerston, by whom he had one son and two daughters. Thomas, who was
born in 1796, married Rosanna KNAPP, of Dummerston. The fruit of this marriage
was five sons and four daughters, of whom Augustine I. and Frederick H.
reside in this town. The latter married Anna LITTLEWORTH and has six sons
and two daughters. His daughter, Nellie M., aged thirteen years, in the
summer of 1883 caught a hawk measuring thirty-four inches from tip to tip,
which had entered the barn to prey upon some chickens and was about to
escape through the open door.
Jonas WALKER, Jr., was born in Dummerston in 1781 and married Polly,
daughter of Marshal MILLER, by whom he had three sons and six daughters,
six of whom are living.
Ichabod KNAPP was born in Petersham, Mass., in 1755. In 1780 he
married Catherine MILLER and settled in the north part of the town. After
a residence there of three years he bought the place of Mrs. Andrew STEVENS,
living one year in a log house, when, in 1783, he erected the house now
occupied by his grandson, George S. KNAPP. He raised a family of six sons
and five daughters. One son, Isaac, was a physician, and died in the town
in 1856. Another son, George W., born in 1796, married Elizabeth M. MANSFIELD,
widow of Josiah WILLIAMS, who bore him a son and a daughter. The former,
George S., born in 1858, resides on the homestead with his mother.
Dr. Isaac BURNETT was a son of Robert BURNETT, who came to Warwick,
Mass., from Scotland, about 1700. Isaac was born in 1745, married Esther
MARRIAM, and came to Dummerston about 1781, where he commenced to practice
medicine. He had a family of two sons and two daughters, Mollie, Jotham,
Wilkins, and Anna. Isaac died October 18, 1816. He was twice married. His
first wife died August 7, 1799, and his second wife, Lydia EDDY, died January
3, 1847. She had one child, Mary, who married Caleb TAFT.
Dr. Jotham BURNETT, son of Isaac, was born at Warwick, Mass., December
21, 1780, and came to Dummerston when about a year old. He studied medicine
with his father and subsequently practiced here. He married Abigail PRATT
and reared four sons and two daughters. Jotham died January 21, 1847. His
wife died February 27, 1850. Three of his children are now living, Mary,
widow of George R. MILLER, residing at Brattleboro. Stephen P. resides
on the home farm in Dummerston. Lysander resides in Boston, Mass. Isaac
was also a physician, and practiced in Milford, Otsego Co., N. Y. Forest
M. was a photographer and settled in Cooperstown, N. Y. Philena P. married
Daniel TAYLOR and settled in Boston. Lysander was born in Dummerston, March
27, 1808, married Emily FRENCH, and has five sons and two daughters. His
first wife died October 13, 1851, and his second wife was Louise TAYLOR,
who died May 19, 1881.
Stephen BENNETT, from Connecticut, came to Dummerston about 1873.
He married Ruth FELLOWS, who bore him four sons and four daughters, of
whom Orrin L., who was born in the town in 1792, married Sarah BOWKER,
of Walpole, N. H., and had four sons and two daughters, of whom George
R., who is an acting justice of the peace, married Mary E. DOWNES, and
resides on the homestead with his father and mother, the former of whom
is ninety-two years of age, and the latter eighty-three.
Henry WILLARD, from Lancaster, Mass., came to Dummerston, where
he married Sarah WILDER about 1785, or '86. His oldest son, Benjamin, was
born here in 1787, and married Lydia, daughter of Samuel BENNETT. He lived
many years where S. H. BARRETT now resides. He was one of eight children,
and he himself raised a family of ten, five sons and five daughters. He
was for many years a justice of the peace and one of the board of the town
officers. His son, Nelson W., is a farmer and has always lived in Dummerston.
Another son, Benjamin F., has lived in this town with the exception of
twenty-five years spent in Chicopee, Mass., having resided twenty five
years on his present farm. He is a store mason and has been foreman on
many large jobs in this and other States.
John S. GATES, from Worcester, Mass., married Hannah MOORE, of that
State, and had five sons and three daughters, of whom Shepherd, who was
born in Dummerston in 1780, married Polly DUTTON in 1808, and had two sons,
the eldest of whom, Alanson, born in 1808, married Julia A. TURNER, of
Putney, Vt., and lives on the LAUGHTON farm in district No. 4.
Asa DUTTON came to Dummerston from Worcester, Mass., before 1790,
and settled in the southeast part of the town, where he pursued the vocation
of a farmer, and died in February, 1836, aged seventy-eight years. Not
one of his eight children survives.
Peter STICKNEY was born in Harvard, Mass., April 7, 1761. In April,
1778, he enlisted in the Continental army and served several years in the
struggle for independence. In 1782 he married Eunice (WILLARD) CARLETON,
and about 1792 he came to Dummerston and bought and cleared the farm where
S. W. ESTEY now lives. He was a carpenter and cooper by trade, and the
father of four children. Benjamin, his only son, was born in Leominster,
Mass., March 15, 1785, and succeeded to his father's estate. He married
Sally, daughter of Thomas BETTERLEY, of Newfane, October 25, 1807. They
resided in Dummerston, and reared nine children. Benjamin, Jr., their oldest
son, was born in Dummerston September 4, 1808. He learned the trade of
a carriage maker and pursued that vocation in the same shop for fifty-five
years. He has been chosen to various town offices, and for fifty-two years
he has been a member of the Baptist church. He married Betsey TENNEY, April
25, 1831, and has had five children, of whom George W., Albert W., and
Ada L. (BAILEY) now live in Dummerston. Peter, another son of Benjamin,
Sr., was born July 21, 1820, married Abigail WELLMAN, and still lives in
Hon. Asa KNIGHT was born in Dummerston February 29, 1793, He died
July 20, 1851. His ancestors carne from England and settled in Massachusetts
in 1620. He filled successfully for many years the various public offices
of constable, collector, deputy sheriff and representative. In 1824 he
removed to Newfane Hill, the county seat, and was keeper of the county
jail for two years. He returned to Dummerston in 1828 and commenced business
as a merchant. He was judge of probate for this district for the three
years, 1835, '36 and '37. He was eminently successful in business, and
his large and varied experience, together with his extensive acquaintance
with the prominent men of the county and State, made him the associate
of the first in the legal fraternity. He was bold and fearless in the enunciation
of his principles, and was greatly beloved for his genial, social qualities
and noble and generous nature. He gave liberally to the poor and needy,
and was ever ready to lend a helping hand to the oppressed and down-trodden.
He was a devoted member of the Masonic fraternity, and a strong adherent
of the principles of the old Democratic party, which propensity he inherited
from his ancestors. May 1, 1822, he married Susan, daughter of John and
Mary (DAVENPORT) MILLER, and granddaughter of Capt. Isaac MILLER, the pioneer
settler and surveyor of Dummerston. She was born October 22, 1896. She
was strictly disciplined in her youth in industry, economy, a sacred regard
for truth, and the religious faith of her Puritan ancestors, in whom these
were prominent characteristics, and her life evinced their most rigid observance.
She possessed a vigorous constitution and was untiring in her devotion,
and faithful in the discharge of her duties to her husband and family.
She was distinguished for patience, cheerfulness and excellent judgment.
She is still living, at the age of eighty-seven years. This worthy couple
had eight children, three sons and five daughters. Seven of them are still
living, though widely scattered over the country, only one, Mary Esther,
born in Newfane July 26, 1826, and now living with her mother, residing
permanently in this town or county. One son, Randolph, after an absence
to the West of nearly twenty years, returned with his family about three
David BELKNAP, from Massachusetts, located on road 36, where C.
G. ROEL now lives, previous to the Revolution. He married Betsey PLUMMER
and had six sons and four daughters. John, who was born in 1808, became
an extensive railroad contractor and builder. He married Harriet P., daughter
of Nathaniel FRENCH. Their son Chester P. resides on the BELKNAP homestead
on road 20. He was born in 1838, married Julia E. NORCROSS, and has one
son, Harry C.
Alexander KATHAN, one of the first settlers of the town, located
on the farm now occupied by Dr. SHOALS. Mrs. Adin A. DUTTON and Mrs. Larken
G. COLE, of this town, are great-grandchildren of his.
Dea. Dan WILDER, son of Joshua and Lois WILDER, was born in Massachusetts
in 1786, and came to Dummerston with his father in 1795. He located on
road 54. He had eight sons and five daughters. Leroy WILDER, his grandson,
who was born in 1808, and married Patience GOULD in 1832, lives on the
homestead. He is the son of Dan WILDER, 2d, who married Joanna BEMIS, of
Dummerston, in 18o6, and had seven sons and three daughters.
Samuel STODDARD, from Chesterfield, was born in 1767, married Zeruah,
daughter of Ephraim and Anna RICHMOND, who was born in 1770, and located
on Dummerston Hill in 1767. He had three sons and three daughters, one
of whom, Levi, died in 1863, aged ninety-two years. Horace R. STODDARD,
son of Levi, was town representative in 1878-'79.
Dr. Abel DUNCAN was born in Petersham, Mass., in 1772. He studied
medicine with Dr. GOULD, of Chester, and came to Dummerston about 1798.
He married Lydia MILLER, of this town, by whom he had one son and two daughters.
The former, Charles M., who was born in 1808, was a physician, and married
Lucinda EASTERBROOK. Fanny M., who was born in 1810, married Joel WELLMAN,
whom she survives, and resides on the old homestead with her daughter,
Mrs. E. D. GREENWOOD. The other daughter, Evalina, who was born in 1813,
married Marshall NEWTON, and died in 1834.
Dudley BAILEY, with his family, from Westminster, Mass., after a
few years' residence in Brattleboro, located, in 1798, in Dummerston, on
road 39, on the farm now owned by his grandson, Silas A. BAILEY. His son
David, who was a native of Westminster, and one of a family of four sons
and one daughter, succeeded to the ownership of the homestead. He married
Lydia ALLEN, and spent his life on the farm, where he raised ten sons and
two daughters. He died in 1867, aged eighty-six years. One of the daughters,
Mrs. Anna BALDWIN, and three of the sons, Levi, Silas A. and Abner B.,
still reside in Dummerston. Chester W. resides in Brattleboro, William
D. in Rhode Island, Ora in Fitchburg, Mass., and Ephraim D. in Canada.
Silas A. BAILEY was born November 9, 1815, and married October 17, 1849,
Arvilla, daughter of David JACKSON, who was born in; Newfane July 17, 1831.
Their only son, David J., was born in Newfane, July 26, 1850. December
24, 1872, he married Ada L., daughter of Benjamin STICKNEY, who was born
January 11, 1851. They reside on the old homestead purchased by Dudley
BAILEY in 1798, and have one daughter, Grace A.
Jesse WELLMAN was an early settler in the south part of the town.
He was a farmer and plow-maker. He died about 1846, aged eighty-three years.
He raised ten children, six of whom are now living. Perry, who was born
in 1796, has spent most of his life in Dummerston and Putney. He married
Eliza FAIRBANKS, who has borne him eleven children, five of whom are now
living, James H. and Charles D., in Putney.
Cromwell BURNHAM, who came in company with two brothers from England,
settled at an early day in the central part of Dummerston, where he resided
till his death. He served in the war of the Revolution. He raised ten children,
who were equally divided as to sex. His son Cromwell was born in Dummerston,
in 1802, and lived here until 1844, when he removed to Putney to live with
his son. He died in 1867. He raised ten children, only three of whom are
living, one, Henry J., in Putney.
Nathaniel FRENCH was one of the early settlers in the town of Brattleboro,
on the road running south of the MILLER farm, and by what was known as
the Peter WILLARD tavern. One of his eleven children, William, was killed
at Westminster court-house, March 13, 1775. Another, Nathaniel, Jr., settled
in Dummerston, on the farm owned by Henry H. NORCROSS, where he lived and
died. He was born November 17, 1789, and married Sally WALKER, of Dummerston,
who was born March 15, 1790. He lived on the old homestead until all of
his eight children were born, after which he lived on the west side of
West river. He was killed by the fall of a tree, September 8, 1854. Three
of his children survive him, Harriet, who lives where her father died,
Almira, in Putney, and Chester W., who was born in Dummerston, February
12, 1819, and married Mary FOSTER of that town, in Vernon, to which town
he removed in 1870.
Samuel MORSE came to Dummerston in 1801. He married Mercie VAIL
and located on the farm now occupied by his grandson, Francis H., son of
John H. MORSE, the latter of whom was born in 1814, and married Eliza S.
NICHOLS, in 1858. Francis H. served three years in the war of the rebellion,
and was present at the taking of Richmond. His brother, John F., was also
a soldier and died in the army in 1863.
Wilson HADLEY, son of Benjamin and Abigail (SPAULDING) HADLEY, was
born in 18i0, on the farm on which he now lives, on road 56, school district
2. He married Olive BRYANT of Dummerston, and has three children, Clarissa,
Mrs. Geo. J. Bond, of Searsburg, Vt., and George D. and Ellen L., the latter
a school teacher, who are living at home.
William O. MILLER, son of William and Esther MILLER, was born on
the MILLER homestead in 1816. His mother was a daughter of Joel WELLMAN.
He has been constable and collector about forty years, and postmaster twenty-two
years. He married Julia J., daughter of Ira and Jemima (Ward) HAVEN, and
has three sons, one of whom, William D., was graduated from WILLIAMS college
in the class of 1882.
Enos LEONARD was born in Westford, Mass., April 29, 1784. He married
Matilda KEEP, January 7, 1817, and soon after came to Vermont. He spent
about a year in Dover, when, in 1818, he bought the place, on road 38,
now occupied by his grandson, W. B. LEONARD, where he died in 1866, aged
eighty-two years, and his widow in 1877, aged eighty-eight years. The fruit
of this wedded life was five children, three of whom died in infancy. The
youngest son, John Keep LEONARD, spent his life upon the homestead and
became a prominent and respected citizen. He was for a number of -years
a justice of the peace, and was chosen to represent the town in -the legislature
of 1867-'68. He was for several years a deacon of the Baptist church, which
position he held at his death, March 1, 1875, at the age of forty-six years.
His wife was Mary, daughter of James MILLER, who bore him two sons, J.
Franklin and Willie B. The former died in 1875; the latter occupies the
John GREENWOOD, from Millbury, Mass., went to Stratton, Vt., about
1788 or 1790. In 1822 he exchanged his farm in Stratton for one on the
site of the village of West Dummerston and removed to it. He raised seven
children, all of whom became members of the Baptist church. Deacon John
GREENWOOD, of West Dummerston, one of the younger sons, is the only survivor.
His residence occupies a part of the farm where his father spent his later
years. He was born in Stratton in 1807, and in 1830 married Betsey, daughter
of David BELKNAP, one of Dummerston's pioneers. He has been a liberal supporter
of the Baptist church, which he joined at the age of nine years, and of
which he has been a deacon since 1863.
Gardner S. KATHAN was born in Dummerston in 1821. He married Elizabeth
WELLMAN, who bore him a son and a daughter, and died in 1858. In 1868 he
married Martha E. LANE, of Putney, who bore him a daughter in 1870. His
mother, Jerusha KATHAN, resides with him on road 15, school district 4.
Willard DODGE was born in 1813. At the age of fifteen he took the
farm of Deacon Ira HAVENs to work on shares for three years. He subsequently
worked the Margaret BOYDEN farm for ten years. He married Zilphia TEMPLE,
who has borne him four sons and four daughters, and is now a farmer on
road 4. His father, Josiah DODGE, who was born in New Hampshire, in 1778,
and married Phebe KATHAN, widow of W. WILDER, was a soldier in the war
of 1812, and was shot through the hand at the battle of Plattsburgh. He
died of lock-jaw in 1815.
George WARRICK was born in Shuckburgh, Warwick county, England,
and married Emily E. BLOXHAM, of Leamington, in the same county, in 1866.
He emigrated to America in 1869, and after a residence of three years in
Putney, bought the farm on Mount View, in Dummerston, where he now resides.
Whitney TENNEY, son of Calvin and Betsey (WOODBURN) TENNEY, of Windham,
was born in 1836, and married Sarah H. PAGE in 1855. He lived seven years
in Nashua, N. H., six in Windham, Vt., two in Lynn, Mass., and one in Chester.
He came to Dummerston in 1882.
Joel WELLMAN Jr., son of Joel and Esther (FARR) WELLMAN, was born
in 1794 and died in 1874. He married Fanny M. DUNCAN, who bore him two
sons and six daughters, among whom is Evaline D., widow of William H. GREENWOOD,
(who was killed in Mexico in 1880,) who resides with her mother in the
Abram HOUGHTON, from Bolton, Mass., was a Revolutionary soldier
and was present at Braddock's defeat. He settled in Putney, and married
Sarah DIVALL. His son Henry married Sally PERRY, of Putney, and had three
sons and three daughters, of whom Don A., who married Emily R., daughter
of Luther MILLER, resides in Dummerston.
Alvin KNAPP was born in Dummerston in 1781 and died in 1850. He
married Rinda FULLER, of Putney, in 1807, and had one son, Milton I., who
was born in 1808. The latter married Sarah WHEELER, who had two sons and
a daughter; Sarah S., Mrs. R. M. WILLIAMS, of Brattleboro; Alvin, born
in 1850, a physician and dental surgeon, who graduated from the Fort Wayne
college of medicine, and in dentistry from Michigan university; and Wheeler
W., who was born in 1852, and resides with his father in the north part
of the town.
Lewis ALLEN was born in Rehoboth, Mass., in 1766, and married Lydia
INGALLS, who bore him four sons and seven daughters. His son Luther, who
was born in 1792, married Mary O. DICKINSON in 1816, and had four sons
and two daughters. Pamelia E. married Nelson WILLARD, and Mary O., who
was born in 1826, became the wife of John R. PITKINS.
Benjamin FOSTER was born at Hanover, N. H., in 1803. He was graduated
at Amherst college and entered the ministry at Salisbury, N. H. He married
Mary JOHNSON, widow of George PERRY, of Manchester, Mass., and had one
daughter, Nellie F. He took charge of Congregational church at Dummerston
in 1846, and died much respected in 1867.
Benjamin BUFFUM was born in RICHMOND, N. H., April 2, 1821, and
removed to Winchester at the age of nineteen. He married Almira CUNNINGHAM
and had three sons and two daughters, of whom Arthur M. now resides upon
Thomas P. MORSE, son of Ephraim M. and Polly (COOK) MORSE, was born
in 1817, and was thrice married, first to Martha Kelsey INGHAM, second
to Mary Alden ADAMS, and third Mary LANE, daughter of George LANE, of Putney.
He and his second wife's son, S. L. ADAMS, live together on road 46, and
are successful farmers.
Frank A. JOHNSON, son of Ransom and Nancy (KILLIAN) JOHNSON, enlisted
in Co. A, 3d Vt. Vols. and served three years. He married Emogene E. BEMIS
in 1867, and now resides on road 51.
Moses ROEL was born in Oxford, N. H., in 1781. In 1808 he married
Olly FRENCH, of Dummerston, and located where his son, Chas. G. ROEL, now
lives on Dummerston Hill. He had six sons and four daughters, two of whom,
Edson M. and Charles G., are now living. Charles G. was born March 4, 1822,
and married Julia A. WARD, who died in 1858. He married the same year Marcia
M. WELLMAN. He is a successful farmer and has been selectman for nine years.
Densmore W. BLOOD, son of Peter and Irene (FISHER) BLOOD, was born
in Putney in 1839. In 1863 he married Lorinda O. BRAGG of Westminster,
and in 1869 he came to Dummerston, locating on the old DUNCAN homestead
on road 28.
Lewis C. COMBS, son of George W. and Abigail (BAKER) COMBS, was
born in Winchester, N. H., in 1843. In 1862 he enlisted in, Co. C, 14th
N. H. Vols., and served three years, till the close of the war. He participated
in the battles of Winchester, Cedar Creek, Fisher's Hill, and many others,
and was wounded in the second engagement. In 1870 he married Charlotte
NORCROSS, and now resides on the BELKNAP homestead, in the northerly part
of the town.
Asa DUTTON, son of Asa and Mary Day DUTTON, of Chesterfield, N.
H., was born on his grandfather's farm, in 1822. In 1861 he married Mary
L., daughter of Joel WELLMAN. His widow, and daughter Eva M., reside on
the old homestead, where he died in 1878.
Stephen L DUTTON, brother of Asa DUTTON, was born in 1827. He married
Electa SARGENT, of Brattleboro, who died in 1876. He is a civil engineer
and surveyor, and resides on road 55, in the south part of the town. He
was town auditor for eighteen years, and town representative in 1869, '70,
'72 and '80.
Addison B. KNAPP, son of Gardner and Fanny (TAFT) KNAPP, was born
in 1824, and in 1848 married Harriet Field. Ed. J. KNAPP, a merchant in
Townshend, is a son of his, and Mrs. Frank CHURCHILL, of the same town,
is a daughter. Luella F. KNAPP, residing on the FOSTER homestead, is another
James SARGENT was a soldier and pensioner of the war of 1812. He
married Polly BURNHAM, by whom he had two sons and three daughters. His
widow, who is also the widow of William BEMIS, is still living at the age
of eighty-three years, with her daughter Sarah, who was born in 1833, and
was married first to Benjamin Ray, who died in 1856, and in 1858, to G.
Anthony L. HUNTLEY, son of Lyman and Lydia (BENNETT) HUNTLEY, of
Putney, married Maria Jane, daughter of Jonas WALKER, arad resides on the
homestead of his grandfather, Elder Jonathan HUNTLEY.
Chauncey JILLSON, son of Sylvester and Hannah (REED) JILLSON, was
born in Marlboro, in 1811, and in 1838 married- Electa HORTON, of Brattleboro,
by whom he had four sons and one daughter. One son, John S., was a member
of Co. F, 1st. Vt. Cavalry, and served during the war of the rebellion.
His other surviving children are George S., Julia E., widow of Carter F.
NORCROSS, now the wife of Chester BELKNAP, and Luther C., who married Mary
L. WELD, and resides on road 6.
Samuel C. BETTERLY, son of Chester H. and Sophia B. (NICHOLS) BETTERLY,
was born in 1852, married Etta M. JONES, of Newfane, in 1874, and now resides
on the BIXBY farm, on road 61; on Dummerston Hill.
S. W. ESTEY, son of Bartlet ESTEY, was born in Hinsdale in 1837.
He removed to Brattleboro, where he married Malonna GRAY, and resided until
1861, in which year he enlisted in Co. F, 4th Vt. Vols., serving three
years. He was wounded at the battle of the Wilderness. He is at present
a prosperous farmer and merchant, on road 60, and has been postmaster of
West Dummerston for three years.
Franklin BUTTERFIELD, son of Luke BUTTERFIELD, was born in 1809,
and married Mary HOLLAND, who bore him three sons and a daughter, of whom
John F., born in 1837, married Eliza J., daughter of J. W. CHAMBERLAIN,
in 1873, and resides on road 65.
John T. COOPER, son of Russell COOPER, was born in Dover in 1841,
and married Lorend I., daughter of John LAZELLE of that town, in 1862.
He was a member of Co. F, 16th Vt. Vols., and was wounded in the hand and
knee at the battle of Gettysburg.
Lewis H. LYNDE, son of Daniel and Tamson (McCLURE) LYNDE, was born
in 1841. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. F, 4th Vt. Vols. He was a sergeant,
and served three years. He was wounded at the battle of the Wilderness.
In 1864 he married Emma R. GATES, of Dummerston, and is now town representative.
Oscar L. F. BENNETT, son of Orren L., married Lydia HERRICK, of
Dummerston, in 1852, and resides on road 19 He is a selectman.
J. Armes MILLER, son of Joseph, married Sarah M. REED, of Wardsboro,
in 1871, and resides on the REED homestead, on road 12.
Erastus T. CORSER, son of Josiah and Prudence (HEATH) CORSER, was
born in 1812, and married Harriet BIGSBEE, of Springfield, and after her
death, Lucy AYER, of Rockingham. In 1868 he bought the Underwood farm.
He is a breeder of fine Merino sheep, and an extensive dealer in cattle,
sheep, and wool. He resides on road 17.
Wm. H. GREENWOOD was born in Dublin, N. H., March 27, 1832. Quite
early in life he determined to be a civil engineer, and in 1850 he entered
Norwich University, graduating in 1852. He was engaged in railroad engineering
until the commencement of the late war. In January, 1862, he enlisted in
the 51st Ill. Vols. as 1st lieutenant and became captain May 9, 1863. He
was selected by Gen. ROSENCRANS to organize a topographical engineer service,
and was ordered to report to Gen. STANLEY, then in command of the cavalry
of the army of the Cumberland. As lieutenant-colonel and inspector he continued
with that command until the close of the war, and received commendatory
notice from its commandant. In 1865, while still in the service of the
government, he rebuilt the Gulf and San Antonio railroad. In 1867 he was
appointed chief engineer of the Kansas Pacific railroad, which position
he resigned in the summer of 1870. He then accepted an appointment as general
manager of the Denver and Rio Grande railroad, resigning this position
in 1874. After a residence of two years in Vermont (1875 and '77), and
one (1876) in Philadelphia, in 1878 he took charge of the construction
railroad now operated by the Denver and Rio Grande Company. In 1879 he
was in charge of the construction of the Marion and McPherson railroad
in Kansas, and in 1880 he took charge as chief engineer of the surveys
for the Mexican National railway. In August of the latter year, while on
his way to the capital to spend the Sabbath with his family, he was waylaid
and murdered by Mexicans, whose cupidity the excellent qualities of his
horse had excited, while stopping at a wayside inn for refreshments. His
body was interred in the American cemetery of the Mexican capital, September
r, 1880, and in May, 1882, was removed to Dummerston, where a beautiful
granite monument marks his final resting-place. May 19, 1857, Col. GREENWOOD
married Evalina D., daughter of Joel and Fanny M. (DUNCAN) WELLMAN, who
requited his affection as a husband with a wifely devotion of equal ardor.
John BRADLEY was a poor boy and was brought up by a merchant in
Worcester, Mass., till he was sixteen years of age, when he entered the
army as a waiter. He afterwards became a soldier and served through the
war for independence under Lafayette. After the close of the war he married
Elizabeth COWDEN, of Worcester, Mass., and moved to Newfane, where he bought
and cleared wild land, making himself a home about one and one-half miles
northwest of the village. There he lived and brought up eleven children.
He died in Jamaica, aged about eighty-five years. Calvin K. BRADLEY, now
living on road 12 in Dummerston, aged eighty-one years, is the youngest
of seven sons and the only one living. Elizabeth BROWN is the only surviving
daughter. Calvin K. married Sally TEMPLE, a granddaughter of Joseph TEMPLE,
who cleared up the farm on which they now live in Dummerston. He was a
native of Worcester, Mass., and drew the land in a lottery which was instituted
for the purpose of raising money to build highways and a meeting-house
in Dummerston. The farm is now owned by Mrs. Augusta BENNETT, the daughter
of Calvin K. and Sally T. BRADLEY. Mrs. G. C. WORDEN, of Dover, is the
youngest of their family of ten children. Alonzo BRADLEY, residing on road
12, in Dummerston, is their only surviving son. Louisa S. HALLIDAY, of
Guilford, is their eldest daughter.
Charles C. HOWARD, of Dummerston, was born in Jamaica, and the youngest
of ten children of Banyard HOWARD, the first child born in Jamaica, who
established a cloth mill near the old cemetery on West river in that town,
and also owned one in the village. Charles C. was brought up in this business
and that of farming. In April, 1851, he married Mary BROWN. They have two
sons, Arthur C., who is superintendent of the Patterson organ factory in
Bridgeport, Conn., and Herbert C., who resides with his father on road
Ira ORMSBEE was born in Putney, Vt., in 18i0. His father, Christopher
ORMSBEE, died when he was but four years of age, and he was brought up
by Joel WELLMAN of Dummerston. At the age of seventeen he began to learn
the blacksmith trade, and soon after completing his apprenticeship he bought
a shop at Slab Hollow, and began business for himself. In 1833 he built
the brick shop now owned by his son Charles, and continued the business
there until his death in April, 1881. He married Elizabeth, daughter of
Joseph MILLER, Sen., and raised ten children, five of whom are now living,
Charles and Emily, (Mrs. D. W. GATES,) in Dummerston, and Albert F., Leslie,
and Julia, in Westfield, Mass.
Sylvester MAY, the third son of Lyman MAY, was born in Wardsboro.
At the age of four years his father died, after which he was brought up
by Simeon ADAMS, of that town. In 1852 he married Mary POND, of Wardsboro,
resulting in the birth of seven sons and one daughter. He died in November,
1868, aged forty years. His widow resides in Dummerston, and Mary A., their
daughter, in New HAVEN, Conn.; Simeon S., in Granville, Mich.; Herbert,
in East Manville, Mich; Henry F., in Edinbury, N. Y.; Charlie E. and Samuel
L., in Hinsdale, N. H.; Walter, in Vernon; and Willie L., in Dummerston.
The Congregational church, located in the central part of the town,
was organized by. its first pastor, Rev. Joseph FARRAR, August 18, 1779,
with the following named members: James HOLLAND, Aaron BROOKS, John FRENCH,
Amos RICE, Mary FRENCH, Sarah TOWN, Joseph TEMPLE, John CRAWFORD, Joseph
TEMPLE, Jr., Joseph HILDRETH, Sarah HOLTON, and Hannah BROOKS. The first
church building was commenced in 1773. The present building, a wood structure
capable of seating 400 persons, and valued at $3,000.00, was built in 1842.
The society now has 107 members, with Rev. Josiah MERRILL, pastor.
The Baptist church, located at West Dummerston, was organized by
Rev. Mr. GODDARD, in 1798, the first pastor being Rev. Mr. FREEMAN. After
a few years he was succeeded by Elder Jonathan HUNTLEY, under whose ministration
the church was greatly prospered. In 1816 there were ninety-six persons
baptized through the ice. The society's meetings were held in dwellings,
barns, and school-houses until 1802, when the first house of worship was
built. The building erected in Guilford but not finished, was purchased
by the society, taken down and re-erected in West Dummerston. The building
was of white oak timber and is the same now used as a store by J. E. TOWNSEND.
Their present house of worship was built of wood in 1860. It will seat
250 persons, cost about $2,000.00, its present value. They also have a
parsonage worth $1, 200.00. The present preaching supply is by Rev. C.
R. POWERS, of West Brattleboro.
and Business Directory of
County, Vt., 1724-1884.
and Published By Hamilton Child,
At The Journal Office, Syracuse, N. Y., July, 1884.
by Karima Allison ~2004