OF THE TOWN OF
LONDONDERRY lies in the northwestern corner of the county, in lat.
44° 7' and long. 4° 19', bounded north by Landgrove, in Bennington
county, and Weston and Andover, in Windsor county, east by Windham, South
by Jamaica, and west by Landgrove and Winhall, in Bennington county. The
township originally included the town of Windham, and was granted by New
York to James ROGERS, February 23, 1770, under the name of Kent. ROGERS
was a regular colonel of colony militia, under King George III. In 1778,
because of his Tory principles, Col. ROGERS's property was confiscated
and he was obliged to fly to Canada, and on the 10th of April, 1780, the
Vermont legislature chartered the confiscated land to Edward AIKEN, Samuel
FLETCHER and Joseph TYLER, reserving five sixty-fifths thereof for religious
and educational purposes, and changing the name of the territory from Kent
to Londonderry. In 1792 Londonderry was divided, the eastern part becoming
the town of Windham, though the boundary line was not then established,
but was supposed to be near the western base of Glebe Mountain. In 1795,
through the influence of Esquire ARNOLD in the legislature, a portion of
Windham was re-annexed to Londonderry and the boundary established as it
now is, ranging with the summit of the mountain. In 1795 James ROGERS,
Jr., petitioned the legislature to grant him one half of the confiscated
lands that remained unsold, which petition was granted. In 1797 he petitioned
again for the other half, alleging as a reason, that if it was right for
him to have one half it was also right for him to have the whole. The legislature
recognized the force of his logic and again granted his petition.
Though the surface of the township is broken and uneven there yet
remains a large amount of fine, arable land, with a warm, easily cultivated
soil, the alluvial lands along West river being considered unusually good.
This stream forms, with its tributaries, the water-course of the territory,
flowing a southerly course through the center of the town, into Jamaica.
It receives Winhall river and Utley brook from the west, and a good sized
mill stream from the east. Upon the latter, in the northern part of the
town, is located Lowell lake, a fine large pond, and above it a smaller
body of water, called Lily pond.
In 1880 Londonderry had a population of 1,154, and in 1882 its thirteen
school districts contained thirteen common schools, employing three male
and twenty-two female teachers, at an aggregate salary of $1,194.80. There
were 278 pupils attending common school, while the entire cost of the schools
for the year, ending October 31st, was $1,332.52, with W. L. GIBSON, superintendent.
LONDONDERRY is a post village located in the northern part of the
town. It has one church (Congregational), one hotel, machine shop, saw
and grist-mill, a tin shop, two general stores, and about forty dwellings.
West river, along which the village is located, affords several good mill-privileges,
which are utilized by the manufactories mentioned.
SOUTH LONDONDERRY is a post village consisting of about sixty dwellings,
scattered for the length of nearly a mile along the valley of West river,
a little south of the center of the town, being the western terminus of
the Brattleboro & Whitehall railroad. It has one church (Baptist),
a good hotel, a weekly paper, “The Sifter,” and various manufactories,
including that of lumber, leather, flour and feed, a harness shop, tin
shop, livery stable, etc.
LIVERMOREVILLE is a hamlet located in the southwestern part of the
The Londonderry grist-mill located at Londonderry village, was built
by A. A. CURTIS, in 1880, on the site of one originally built about one
hundred years ago. The mill has three runs of stones and grinds about 1,200
bushels of merchant grain and 8,000 bushels of custom grain per year.
A. A. CURTIS's saw-mill, located with and built at the same time
of the above grist mill, is furnished with circular saws and the necessary
machinery for manufacturing 400,000 feet of lumber per year.
Francis F. CHURCHILL's saw-mill, on road 32, was placed on its present
foundation about 1871 or '72, by Joseph Bailey. It was purchased by Mr.
CHURCHILL in 1884, and has the capacity for cutting 2,000 to 4,500 feet
of lumber per day.
WILLIAMS & HAYWARD's machine shop, on Main street, at Londonderry,
was commenced here in January, 1884, a continuation of the business carried
on at Chester, by Horace A. HAYWARD. The building is a three story wood
structure, 36 by 50 feet, erected in 1867. In 1883 Mr. WILLIAMS built a
stone dam, one hundred feet in length, across West river, which gives a
fall of seven and one-half feet. The firm has ample machinery for carrying
on their business, the manufacture of iron planers, power and lever punches,
drilling machinery, screw machines, etc.
William A. SHATTUCK's grist-mill at South Londonderry, has three
runs of stones and does custom work.
Joseph St. ONGE's carriage manufactory, at South Londonderry, was
originally built for a church building, but was converted into a factory
about twenty years ago. Mr. St. ONGE manufactures all kinds of wagons,
sleighs and carriages.
William W. PIERCE & Co.'s tub factory and job shop, at South
Londonderry, was built in 1863. The company employs about five men and
manufactures 5,000 tubs per annum.
The South Londonderry Tannery was erected by Ezra DAVIS, about fifty
years ago, and has been operated by H. A. WALKER since 1879, who tans 4,500
sides per year.
ST. MARIE & BALL's saw and shingle-mill, on road 42, cuts about
300,000 feet of lumber per year.
A. F. LIVERMORE's saw-mill and chair-stock factory, on road 45,
was built by Samuel LIVERMORE, in 1840. Mr. LIVERMORE manufactures about
100,000 feet of lumber and a large amount of chair stock per year.
Frank M. WOOD has a steam saw-mill on road 40, a mill on West river,
operated by water-power, and a steam mill in Jamaica, He manufactures about
4,000,000 feet of lumber per year.
A. W. J. WILKINS & Co.'s marble works are located at Londonderry
village. The works were started by GIBSON Bros., in 1867.
Londonderry received its name and early settlers through the following
circumstances: About the year 1650 there was a large emigration from Argleshire,
in the west of Scotland, to Londonderry, in the north of Ireland. The emigrants
were warmly attached to the Presbyterian doctrine and discipline, in which
the church of Scotland was united. These Scottish Protestants of Ireland
were involved in many difficulties during the reign of Charles I. and James
II., until 1680, the period known as the British revolution, when William
and Mary ascended the throne. They were bound to assist in the support
of the church of England, and many of them suffered in the seige of Londonderry,
Ireland, in 1688, when James II., with a powerful force from France, besieged
the city. They held to their religious faith with a national tenacity that
did not accord with the popular faith of Ireland, nor that of their English
masters. Disliking the institutions of tithe and rent -- being subjected
to the church of England -- they resolved to emigrate to America. In 1718
large numbers of these people landed on our shores, some of them near Boston,
and others near Casco bay. Those who landed at Casco settled the towns
of Londonderry, Windham, and Manchester, in New Hampshire, bringing with
them these names from across the waters of the Atlantic, and also introduced
the culture of potatoes, as well as the art of weaving linen, in this part
of the American continent.
A little more than half a century later, 1769, the descendants of
these people, McMURPHY, MILLER, the DERBYS, MONTGOMERY, and perhaps one
or two more, led by Col. ROGERS, from Londonderry, N. H., explored the
territory of what is now Londonderry and Windham, in this county. McMURPHY
began his work in the wilderness, on land now owned by Washington BROOKS
and son, and erected there the first log cabin in the territory. Robert
MONTGOMERY commenced the same year on the COLLINS place; MILLER stopped
in THOMPSONburg, on land now owned by Josiah GODDARD, and the DERBYs settled
the Vaile farm, which they subsequently sold to George HEWES, in 1790.
On the approach of winter they returned to their families in New Hampshire.
In the spring of 1770, ROGERS in the mean time having procured a
charter of the territory, those who came the preceding year returned with
some of their families, but whether they remained here the following winter
cannot be accurately ascertained; but it is believed that no family on
the mountains nor in the valleys faced the storms of winter prior to the
season of 1772. In the spring of that year Dea. Edward AIKEN took his hired
man and walked from his home in Londonderry, N. H., to the town of Kent,
a distance of one hundred miles, through small settlements and dense forests.
He began to open the wilderness in the north part of the town, now the
northern part of Windham. During the summer, while far away from neighbors
and friends, he became a victim of disease. His hired man reported his
condition to the small settlement in Rockingham, and from there to his
wife, who immediately left her home and journeyed the one hundred miles
on horseback, nursed her husband back to life, and then returned to her
home as she had come. Such were the hardships endured by the early settlers
In this spring, also, all these people who had been here before
returned, consisting of seven families. Col. ROGERS also came again, this
time for the purpose of settling the territory which he had chartered.
He brought with him several hired men, among whom were William COX, Joseph
OUGHTERSON and Daniel COCHRAN, who took their pay for labor in land, at
two shillings per day. The land they then cleared is in the eastern part
of the town, now known as the LARKIN place, though they believed it was
nearly in the center of the town. This party returned in November, and
returned again in the spring with their families, the party being increased
by James PATTERSON, Samuel THOMPSON, John COX, and Capt. Ed. AIKEN, cousin
of the deacon. In 1775 the settlement was increased by GLAZIER, HELLECK,
EDDY, ALLEN, McCORMACK, MACK and others.
The first town meeting for the election of officers was held in
March, 1775 at the grist-mill at the mouth of Lowell lake, or Derry pond
as it was formerly called. Edward AIKEN was then elected the first town
clerk of the town of Kent. He was re-elected in 1778. A record of this
meeting cannot be found. Another meeting was held at the same place the
following May, the record of which is signed by Edward AIKEN, town clerk.
At the annual meeting in 1777, five men were elected as town committee,
three selectmen, a constable, surveyors, collector and counter. The committee
arranged the valuation of property, and, among other things, performed
the duty of listers. The town of Kent elected but one representative before
the name was changed. Dea. Edward AIKEN was the first representative, March
3, 1778, and retained the office until 1795. In 1779 James PATTERSON was
elected the first grand juror, Robert ANDERSON, brander of horses, Lieut.
James HOPKINS, hog constable, and Joseph OUGHTERSON, tythingman. In 1780
Dea. Edward AIKEN was elected the first justice of the peace, and Robert
McCORMICK then succeeded James HOPKINS in the office of town clerk, HOPKINS
having been elected to the office in 1778.
Education received the early attention of the settlers. Three or
four families would unite in hiring a teacher, who taught in rotation,
from house to house, usually a month in each family. Dr. LAZELLE taught
the first school, in the houses of Daniel COCHRAN, Joseph OUGHTERSON and
Hugh MONTGOMERY. Quite early, however, a district was formed and a school-house
erected, in what is now the Faulkner neighborhood. This house was burned
in 1814. At a still later period the town was regularly divided into school
districts, which have been changing ever since, with the drift of population
and the lines of highways.
The nearest place for the first settlers to obtain the necessaries
of life was at Charlestown, N. H., then called Number Four. These difficulties
naturally fostered a desire for home manufacture and home trade. Accordingly,
in 1774, Capt. Edward AIKEN, after clearing a little land, began work on
the first grist-mill in town, located at the outlet of Lowell lake. Col.
ROGERS gave the land and right of flowage. Subsequently Capt. AIKEN sold
this mill to George McMURPHY, who ran it for several years. In 1785 Capt.
AIKEN built another mill on the present site of the grist-mill at the North
village, which was run many years by his son Jonathan. In the same year,
1785, the first bridge was built in town, where the bridge near this mill
now stands, the bottom log of the same being the foundation of the abutment
that now supports the foundation of the bridge. The first store in which
goods were sold stood on the height of land between the two villages, owned
and kept by PAGE & BURCHARD. Soon after this store was opened, PARKER,
DEAN & JOHNSON opened a store in the house lately occupied by Rodney
SPAULDING. The first two hotels opened to the public were kept, one by
Arrington GIBSON, on the GIBSON place, and the other by Samuel SHERBURG,
whose hotel stood just back of the present hotel at the North village.
The first child born is said to have been David ROGERS, son of Col. ROGERS,
No important events took place in the town during the Revolution,
or the stirring times just before it. In a warning of a town meeting under
date of April 20, 1778, when article seven was "to see what encouragement
the town would make for two soldiers that are to be raised in said town
for the term of eleven months." The meeting thus warned voted to pay two
soldiers each thirty pounds as a bounty. It was also during this year that
Col. ROGERS was obliged to give up his lands and flee to Canada. In 1782
the town voted to raise two men for the ensuing campaign, agreeably to
the resolve of the assembly. They voted to hire Jonathan AIKEN and James
MACK to go into service, and have each of them seven pounds and ten shillings,
and to have for wages two pounds per month, which was to be paid in clearing
their land for them at two pounds per acre, and which was to be ready for
seed by September 1, 1782. They also excused James AYERS, John McCORMACK
and John MACK, who were out in the three-year's service, from paying any
part of the bounty which was to be raised.
Quite early in the Revolution, tradition has it, a party under Capt.
COOKE left Fort Dummer for the purpose of learning the condition of the
settlements up the valley of West river and through to Rutland. They found
no traces of hostile Indians, nor any disturbances among the settlements.
Upon their return down the river, this party laid down their implements
of war and began to fish for trout near the north of Flood brook-then called
the West branch. While thus engaged a party of hostile Indians, who had
followed their trail from the top of the mountain north, lying in ambush,
fired upon them. Three of their number fell, and the rest precipitately
fled. They retreated to the fort, where they were reinforced, and returning
buried their dead on land lately owned by the THOMPSON brothers, formerly
owned by Ezra PIERCE. No monument to-day marks the spot where they fell
In 1777, Gen. STARK, in marching his army from New Hampshire to
Bennington, passed over the Huntley hill, south of the ravine, thence north
of the north village, across the Utley Flats, in Landgrove, and camped
near a spring on the Ira K. BATCHELDER farm, now owned by Mark B. LYON,
in Peru. The following day he crossed the mountain nearly a mile north
of the present turnpike, and camped in Manchester. Thence he marched to
Bennington, to take victory from the British, or leave Molly, his wife,
a widow. Some of the citizens of Kent joined STARK, while they had their
regular quota in the army.
When the late great war came upon us Londonderry did her full share,
and with her sister towns mourns her dead and glories in the victory.
Daniel BABBITT, a native of England, came to America in company
with two brothers. He was one of the first settlers in Londonderry, locating
here when the country was new. He died here about 1804. He had a large
family of children. David, one of his sons, was born in Windham, and married
Polly GATES, of Ackworth, N. H., by whom he had eleven children, eight
of whom are living. His experience vividly illustrates the hardships endured
by many of the pioneer settlers of this region. While clearing his farm
he went to Boston on foot twenty-two consecutive falls, making the journey
of 125 miles in two and one-half days. He carried with him a cleaver weighing
nineteen pounds, his business in Boston being the cutting of beef. George,
son of David, was born in Londonderry, and married Sarah Jane FRENCH, of
Jamaica. He has two children living, George H. and Fred D., the latter
of whom is a prodigy, for though only sixteen years old he weighs 206 pounds.
Edward AIKEN, a native of Londonderry, N. H., was one of the first
settlers in this town. He was the first town clerk and the first justice
of the peace. His son Daniel was born and died in this town. John AIKEN,
son of the latter, was born here and lives on road 37.
Samuel THOMPSON came from Londonderry, N. H., to Kent, about 1774,
and was one of the first settlers. He located near where the school-house
stands, on road 34, and died here at the age of about eighty-seven years.
He had four sons, one of whom, David, came with his father and died here
at the age of sixty-eight years. Joel, one of David's twelve children,
was born in Londonderry and lives on the corner of roads 30 and 31.
Barnet WAIT was born in Alstead, N. H., and came to Londonderry
in 1791. He settled about one and one-fourth miles northeast of Londonderry
village. He raised a family of eleven children, four of whom are living.
He died here in 1838, aged seventy-one years. His son Barnet was born in
Londonderry in 1795. He has been a justice of the peace for forty-five
years, overseer of the poor about fifty years, and selectman about twenty
years. His popularity is attested by the fact that though a Democrat, he
has been defeated in a Republican town but three or four times in fifty
years. He lives in the north village, and owns the land where the Tory
ROGERS lived before he went to Canada. He had six children, four of whom
are living, Mary, wife of A. M. ALBEE, of Springfield, Vt., Barnet S.,
who lives in the north village, Corydon F., a farmer in this town, and
Cordelia M., wife of William F. SUTTON.
Abial WHITMAN was born in Westmoreland, N. H., and removed with
his father, who was a native of Attleboro, Mass., to Windham, Vt., when
but ten years old. He afterwards settled in the southwest part of Londonderry,
on the farm on which he resided till his death about eighteen years ago,
at the age of seventy-nine years. He represented the town once and was
a justice of the peace for many years. He had twelve children. His son
Ira E. was born in Londonderry in 1836, and lived here until July 12, 1883,
when he removed to Bellows Falls. He is a carpenter and general jobber.
Abial's daughter, Esther W., married Amore E. FULLER of this town, who
died in March, 1872, aged sixty-eight years. He was for several years representative
from this town.
Jonathan BUXTON, of Smithfield, R. I., came to Londonderry about
1798, and settled on the farm now owned by George W. JAMES. Of his ten
children Nathan was born in Rhode Island and came with his father to this
town. He had four sons, Stephen A., Charles, Albert and Horan, and three
daughters, Mary, Martha and Adaline. Stephen A. is the only living member
of the family. Charles was major of the 11th Vt. regiment and was killed
at the battle of Winchester, Va. Albert was captain of BERDAN's sharp-shooters,
and was killed in the battle of the Wilderness. Horace was a corporal in
the 11th Vt. regiment and died of fever in Washington. Daniel, son of Jonathan,
lives in this town. His children are Willard, Jason, Richard, Bradford,
who also lives in this town, Carrie and Angie.
Armington GIBSON, who was born in Lunenburg, Mass., came to Londonderry
in 1800 and settled on the farm now owned and occupied by his grandson,
H. H. COLLINS. He died about twenty-five years ago, aged eighty-three or
Dr. J. B. COLLINS came from Marlboro, Mass., and located first where
his son, H. H. COLLINS lives. He practiced medicine till his death. He
married Sylvia, daughter of Arrington, and had four children who grew to
maturity. H. H. and Emeline live in this town. Another son, J. I., is in
Imla COREY came to Londonderry from Groton, Mass., about. 1807,
and engaged in agricultural pursuits. He died in 1833. He had only one
child, Imla, who was born in 1809, and removed in 1871 to Westminster,
where he now resides with his son William W., on road 59. Another son,
George M., lives on road 50, in that town.
Alpheus WRIGHT, a native of Stoddard, N. H., came to Londonderry
in 1818, and settled on the farm now owned by his son Winfield S., where
he died in 1847, aged fifty-two years. Winfield was born in the house in
which he resides.
Luther STOWELL came from Petersham, Mass., to Windham, in the fall
of 1796. April 8, 1818, he removed to Londonderry, where he died in 1857,
aged eighty-four years. He had eleven children. His son Avery B., who was
born in Windham, and came to Londonderry with his father, located where
he now lives.
Alva W. PIERCE was born in Andover, Vt., and came to Londonderry
in 1821. He lived with an aunt until nineteen years old, and has continued
to reside here to the present time, with the exception of five years spent
in the Mississippi valley.
Oliver P. NEWELL was born in Dorset, Vt., and came with his parents
to Londonderry, in 1821. In 1833 he bought the farm on which lie now resides,
and located on it in 1838.
Emery HARRINGTON was born in Orange, Mass., and came to Londonderry
about 1821. He settled in the south part of the town, on West river, and
died in Bennington, at the age of fifty-five years. He had six children.
His son, E. Leander, was born in this town February 1, 1822. At the age
of twenty-one he went to Port Kent, N. Y., and after various removals,
covering nine years, he returned to Londonderry, where he still resides.
Thomas S. VIALL, born in Jamaica, came to Londonderry in June, 1822.
He was a justice of the peace in this town for forty years. He died November
15, 1871, aged eighty years. His son Philetus, and daughters Dorothy ALBEE
and Jeannette YEARLY, still reside here.
Sem PIERCE, it is believed, was born in Windham, as he spent his
boyhood there and married Lydia MOSES, of that town, September 3, 1815.
He came to Londonderry about 1824, and died here October 15, 1865, aged
seventy-one years. He had a large family. His son Sem, of this town, was
born in Londonderry, and married Eliza N. HOWARD. They had three children,
Frank O., Mary O., and William H.
Abial WHITMAN, born in Attleboro, Mass., came to Windham about 1788,
and located on the land now owned by his son Asa. His son Ara, born in
Windham in 1802, came to Londonderry in 1826, and now resides at Londonderry
Ephraim WALKER came to Windham, Vt., from Westmoreland, N. H., at
an early day, and in 1838 he removed to Londonderry, where he died in 1863.
He had four sons and one daughter: Calvin B., who is a farmer in this town;
William H., who is a lawyer and a judge of probate, residing in Ludlow;
Henry A., who is a tanner; George E., who died in Ludlow; and Lydia Jane,
wife of Captain HOWE, of Ludlow.
James MARTIN was born in Landgrove, in 1813, and lived in that town
until 1821. He married Lucy GRAY, of Weston, Vt., and settled in Londonderry
in 1853-'54. He represented the town of Landgrove two successive terms,
.and the county once. He was a member of the constitutional convention
of 1843, and is now station agent and U. S. and Canada express agent at
Winhall station, on the B. & W. R. R. He had eight sons, only three
of whom are living: John H., who is a farmer in N. H.; James L., who is
a lawyer in Brattleboro, which town he has represented since 1874, and
as speaker of the VT. House since 1878; and Joseph G., who is a lawyer
at Factory Point, Vt.
Cynthia BATCHELDER was born in Springfield, and married Lucius GRISWOLD,
of that town, who came to Londonderry in 1859, and died in 1860. She afterwards
married Chandler EDDY, and now lives on her farm, on road 27. She had eight
children by her first husband, two of whom, Dana and Collins R., were Union
soldiers. Dana was in Florence prison, and escaped, but died soon after.
COLLINS R. lives in this town.
Thomas JAMES, a native of Rome, N. Y., was a sea captain thirty-five
years, and during that time owned and commanded fourteen vessels. He came
to Londonderry in 1867, and died here January 4, 1882, aged seventy-six
years. He was a very generous man, and though belonging to no church, contributed
liberally toward the support of the three churches in this town. His widow
still resides with her son George W., in this town.
Col. Harlan O. PEABODY was born in Chester, Vt., in 1839. May 11,
1861, at the age of twenty-two, he enlisted in Co. I, 2d Vt. regiment,
and was the first man who enlisted for three years in the town of Andover.
He was discharged from the 2d Vt., as sergeant, in May, 1862, and re-enlisted
in the 16th Vt. regiment, August 29th. He was promoted 2d lieutenant of
Co. C, October 23, 1862; 1st lieutenant Co. H, December 31, 1862; and adjutant
April 1, 1863. He was discharged at the expiration of his term of service.
He was elected Lieut.-Col. of the 10th Vt., militia, January 20, 1865.
For ten years after the war he lived in Ludlow, engaged in the clothing
and boot and shoe business, and was an active politician. He has been engaged
in the hotel business in Granville, N. Y., Rochester and Chester, Vt.,
and at present in Londonderry, to which town he came in 1881.
Joshua TYLER was born in Chesterfield, N. H., August 16, 1781, and
married Lydia FARR, who died January 13, 1805. He married for his second
wife, in 1810, Lois BACON, of Chesterfield, and located in Dummerston,
where he engaged in mercantile pursuits. He came to Londonderry in 1830,
and died in Potter county, Penn., at the age of seventy-seven. Dwight,
a son of his first wife, was born January 13, 1805, and married Mary V.
FISK, of Montpelier, Vt., December 28, 1832. They now reside at South Londonderry.
He has been a merchant for many years; town clerk and treasurer for thirty-seven
consecutive years; and justice of the peace for more than twenty-five years.
One of their two children, Harland D., survives, and lives at South Londonderry.
He married Owel R. WHITMAN of this town and has two children, Minnie A.
and Frank H.
Samuel THOMPSON was a native of Ireland and emigrated thence to
Massachusetts. From there he removed to this town when there were but three
or four families here, and settled where John RAMSDELL now lives, and died
here. His son Samuel was born in Londonderry and died here at the age of
about seventy-six. Solon, son of the latter, was also born here. He died
in 1880, aged seventy. Henry L. and Walter THOMPSON, Sons of Solon, were
both born in Londonderry and live on road 33.
Samuel LIVERMORE, son of Samuel LIVERMORE, who was one of the first
settlers in Jamaica, and the first of the name to settle in the county,
was born in that town September 25, 1790, and at the age of nine years
was bound out to John ALEXANDER, of Winchester, N. H., with whom he remained
till twenty-one years old. He married Mercy LEONARD of Warwick, Mass.,
and settled in Windham, Vt., where he resided, with the exception of a
year spent in Winchester, until September, 1832, when he removed to the
farm in Londonderry, now owned and occupied by his sons Austin E. and Samuel
M. He died in 1869, aged seventy-eight years, eleven months and four days.
He had six children, Jonas L., Asenath, Edward A., Austin F., Samuel M.
and Hannah N., all of whom are living, except Asenath. All the sons live
in Londonderry except Jonas L., who resides in Townshend.
James L. MARTIN, member of the law firm of MARTIN & EDDY, of
Brattleboro, was born in Landgrove, Vt., September 13, 1846. He received
an academical education, studied law at the Albany law school, graduating
in 1869. He immediately commenced practice in Londonderry and has resided
here since. He was State's attorney from 1874 to '76, represented the town
from 1874 to '84, and was speaker of the House in 1878, '80 and '82.
The original church members of the town of Kent, in forms and ceremonies,
were followers of John KNOX, who had learned from Calvin in Geneva, the
form of ecclesiastical government known as Presbyterian. The Scotch "kirk"
was the true child of the reformation, being strongly opposed to the church
of England, which was viewed by them as not having come out from the abomination
of Babylon the Great, but only as having shaken off a few of the grosser
corruptions of ancient Rome. Neither did the followers of KNOX fully sympathize
with the Puritans, for they (the Puritans) believed in self-government,
and that each congregation should be regulated by its own laws; hence the
more modern names of Congregationalists. The Presbyterians recognized the
authority of Synods and Presbyteries, hence were more in sympathy with
the doctrines of church and state being directly connected, and consequently
recognized the authority of towns to govern their churches, and lay and
collect taxes therefore. The Puritans rejected this doctrine. As the population
of the town increased, those who were allied to the Presbyterian faith
correspondingly decreased, and the Puritans increased. In 1818 they erected,
by the aid of the town, the first house for public worship, in what has
long been known as the middle town. The later history of the churches the
citizens may all view with pride, because of their perpetual diffusion
of morality and good will among men.
The Second Congregational church of Londonderry, located at Londonderry
village, was organized by a regular Congregational council, in 1868, having
originally eighteen members, Rev. M. A. GATES being their first pastor,
Their church building was erected in 1842, by the Methodist and Universalist
societies in union. The two societies subsequently became involved in a
law-suit relative to the right of occupancy, the suit being decided in
favor of the Methodist society. After this society became extinct, the
present Congregational society purchased the property of the M. E. conference
of Vermont, in 1869. The structure is capable of seating 300 persons, and
is valued, including grounds, at $2,000.00. The society now has fourteen
members, with Rev. R. D. METCALF, pastor.
The Baptist church, located at South Londonderry, was organized
in March, 1811, consisting of thirteen persons dismissed from the Baptist
church in Peru, Vt., Rev. Gershom LANE being the first pastor. The church
building, a brick structure capable of seating 300 persons, and valued,
including grounds, etc., at $5,000.00, was built in 1834. Rev. H. C. LEAVITT
is the present pastor of the society.
The Methodist Episcopal church, located at South Londonderry, has
100 members, with Rev. James E. KNAPP, pastor.
and Business Directory of
County, Vt., 1724-1884.
and Published By Hamilton Child,
At The Journal Office, Syracuse, N. Y., July, 1884.
by Karima Allison ~2004