OF THE TOWN OF
STRATTON lies in the northwestern corner of the county, in lat.
43° 3' and long. 4° 8', bounded north by Winhall, in Bennington
county, east by Jamaica and Wardsboro, south by Dover and Somerset, and
west by Sunderland, in Bennington county. It was chartered by New Hampshire,
July 30, 1761, to Isaac Searl and sixty-two others, in sixty-nine shares,
containing an area of 23,040 acres. On October 28, 1799, however, Stratton
Gore was annexed.
The surface of the town is extremely irregular and mountainous,
so much so, indeed, as to be in some places unfit for habitation. The cultivated
farms are mostly in the eastern and southern portions, where there are
tracts of arable land that well repays the toil of the husbandman. Deerfield
river rises in the central part of the town, flowing south into Somerset,
its principal tributary in this town being Black brook, which has its source
in Bennington county. Pond brook has its source in GROUT pond, and flows
a southerly course, uniting with Meadow brook, which also flows south,
into Somerset. Several other small streams flow east into Wardsboro, and
several flow north into Winhall. A number of good mill-privileges are afforded.
GROUT pond, covering an area of about 100 acres lies in the southern part
of the town, North, or Jones pond, lies in the northern part, and Muskrat,
or Bowen pond, lies on the line between Stratton and Sunderland. The rocks
are almost entirely of gneiss formation.
In 1880 Stratton had a population of 302, and in 1882 had five school
districts and four common schools, employing two female teachers, to whom
was -paid an aggregate salary of $303.12. There were seventy pupils attending
common school, while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending
October 31st, was $322.60, with E. H. WILLIS, superintendent.
STRATTON is the only post office, it being located a little south
of the center of the town, on the old stage road from Arlington, there
being no village in the township: At the junction of this road and the
road from the northern part of the town there is located a church, an hotel,
and one dwelling. A little distance west of the old stage line is a blacksmith
shop and the post office above mentioned, while just beyond the post office
there is a cluster of about four houses. In the extreme southeastern part
of the town there is a small hamlet called the Pike settlement, having
been first settled by the PIKE family, and has had members of that family
there ever since.
Joel F. GROUT o' Sons' saw and shingle-mill and chair-stock factory,
located in the extreme western part of the town, was purchased by Mr. GROUT
in 1880, of E. W. BOWKER. The mill was built about ten years ago, by Osmer
FITCH, upon the site of a mill erected in 1838, by Phineas WHITE, of Putney.
R. LYMAN & Son's saw-mill, located on road 18, has the capacity
for turning out about 5,000 feet of lumber per day. Mr. LYMAN purchased
the property of William PIKE, in 1844, though there has been a mill on
this site about sixty years, the first having been erected by Levi KNIGHT.
The present structure was built by Mr. PIKE, in 1835.
Alexander H. PIKE's caw-mill, located on road 18, manufactures all
kinds of lumber, and shingles, and is also supplied with planing and matching
machinery. Mr. PIKE built the mill in 1844.
The settlement of the town was not commenced until 1784, by Timothy
MORSMAN. Others of the same name followed soon after, and also a family
by the name of PATCH. In 1791, the settlement had increased to ninety-five
The town was organized and the first town meeting held, in 1788,
when Asa PHILLIPS was chosen town clerk; Joseph PATCH, constable; and Timothy
MORSMAN, Solomon GALE and Benjamin HOBBS, selectmen. The first birth was
that of Asa PHILLIPS, Jr., in 1785.
William G. and Jonathan PIKE, two brothers, came to Stratton, with
their mother, in 1795. He erected a log house on the farm now owned by
William Henry EDDY, on road 17, and a year later the brothers were joined
by their father, Samuel PIKE, who was born at Hopkinton, Mass., in 1728.
He died here November 15, 1815. Mrs. PIKE died February 20, 1825, aged
eighty-five years. They reared four children, William G., Anna, Jotham
and Rhoda. Jatham reared ten children by his first wife, and eleven by
his second. Alexander HAMILTON, the sixth of his ten children, built the
saw-mill he still owns, in 1844. He married Elvira RICE, who bore him four
children, three of whom are living, Viola and Elvira in Brattleboro, and
Lovina with her father.
Rodolphus LYMAN, born in 1790, died here in 1866. He married Bethiah
ROBBINS, in Northfield, Mass., April 24, 1820, and came to Stratton in
1837, locating upon the farm now owned by William Henry EDDY, on road 17,
Rufus, one of their twelve children, born September 3, 1815, married Tryphenia
PIKE, the youngest child of William G. PIKE. One of their four children,
William R., married Emma WHITMAN, of Jamaica, and now operates a saw-mill
in company with his father.
Stephen FORRESTER came to Stratton about 1820, locating on road
15, upon the farm now owned by his son, Roderick B. Roderick has held several
of the town offices.
Samuel WILLIS, from Mendon, Mass., came to Stratton about 1806,
locating on road 18. He reared six children, Sylvia, Amy, Ruth, Roxey,
Chloe and Daniel. Hilon E. WILLIS, residing on road 16, has served the
town as selectman. Herbert F. WILLIS, residing on road 11, married Flora
ALLEN and has reared three children.
The Union Congregational church, located at the corner of roads
10 and 11, was organized at an early date, Rev. Chester PRESCOTT being
the first and only settled pastor the society has ever had. The first house
of worship was erected in 1809, and gave place to the present structure
in 1849, which will seat about 200 persons, and is valued at $300.00. The
society now has about fifteen members, with no regular pastor.
and Business Directory of
County, Vt., 1724-1884.
and Published By Hamilton Child,
At The Journal Office, Syracuse, N. Y., July, 1884.
by Karima Allison ~2004