OF THE TOWN OF
BALTIMORE is a small, triangular shaped town of about 3,000 acres,
located in the southern part of the county, in lat. 43° 21' and long,
4° 25', bounded northwest by Cavendish, east by Weathersfield, and
south by Chester. When Cavendish became settled it was found that Hawks
Mountain, a rugged highland extending in a diagonal direction across the
southeastern corner of the town, rendered communication between the settlements
on opposite sides of the elevation quite difficult, so much so, indeed,
that the settlers in the corner thus cut off objected to traveling to the
center of the town to vote and attend to public business, and so petitioned
the legislature for the privilege of establishing themselves in the territory
as an independent township. This petition was looked upon with favor by
the legislature, who passed an act October 19, 1793, establishing the town
of Baltimore, Hawks Mountain forming the dividing line between it and Cavendish.
It was not organized, however until March 12, 1794, when Joseph ATHERTON
was chosen town clerk, Samuel DAVIS, constable, and Waldo CHENEY, Jonathan
WOODBURY and Joseph ATHERTON, selectmen. The first justice was Isaac CHAMBERLAIN,
elected in 1794. The first representative was Benjamin PAGE, in 1824, since
which time the town has seldom been represented in the legislature, thus
saving a large amount of taxes.
The surface of the territory is not broken by any prominent elevation,
except the one mentioned, while the soil, which is warm, though quite stony,
renders fair crops of grass and grain. Numerous springs and brooks abound,
though there are no streams of importance and no mill-seats. The rock are
mostly gneiss formation. In the southeastern part there is a small amount
of mica schist, and in the extreme northern part a bed of steatite.
Joseph ATHERTON, one of the first settlers, located on road 2, upon
the farm now owned by E. C. SHERWIN. His son, Barney, was killed by lightning
in 1810, while standing in the door of his father's house. Noah PIPER and
Col. Joshua MARTIN were also early settlers. Emigration to the town seems
to have been quite popular for a time, for in 1791 the census returns show
it to have had a population of 275. Since then, however, each decade shows
a diminution in the number of inhabitants, until the town now boasts a
population of only seventy-one souls. It has no settlement worthy of the
title of village, no post office, no church, and no schools, the people
being obliged to step over the lines of their narrow territory, into the
towns south and east, for such conveniences.
Benjamin LITCH came to Baltimore from Lunenburgh, Mass., about 1800,
and resided here until his death, February 22, 1832. Mrs. LITCH died about
1850. Their son Lyman, born here May 6, 1803, is now the oldest resident
in the town. He married Prudence CHAPLIN, and has reared a family of four
daughters, all but one of whom are living. Lyman represented the town in
the legislature of 1837, and has also held most of the other town offices.
Amasa GREGORY came here from Roylston, Mass., in 1809, and located
upon the farm now owned by Orville FULLUM, where he resided until his death,
December 4, 1849. Three of his eight children are now living, one, Mrs.
Zenas GRAVES, in this town.
Luther GRAVES came to Baltimore in 1815, and located upon the farm
now owned by his son, Zenas H., where he died February 28, 1861, aged eighty
years. Zenas is the only child of Luther now living. He represented the
town in the legislature of 1858-'59.
Fox SHERWIN came here in 1841, from Weathersfield. His son, Erwin
C., born on the farm he now occupies in 1841, represented the town in 1878-'79.
and Business Directory of Windsor County, Vt., For 1883-84
and Published By Hamilton Child,
N. Y. Printed January, 1884.
by Karima Allison ~ 2004