OF THE TOWN OF HARTLAND
HARTLAND lies in the center of the eastern range of townships, in
lat. 43° 34' and long. 4° 34', bounded north by Hartford, east
by Connecticut river, which separates it from Plainfield, N. H., south
by Windsor and West Windsor, and west by Woodstock. It contains an area
of 25,350 acres, originally granted by New Hampshire to Samuel Hunt and
his associates, in seventy-one shares, by the name of Hertford, July 1o,
J761. On the 23d of July, 1766, however, the territory was re-chartered
to Oliver Willard and his associates, by New York. The name of Hertford
was retained until June 15, 1782, when it was changed to the one it now
bears, by the following act of the legislature:
The surface of the town is diversified with hills and valleys, most
of which are only great enough in extent to form a pleasing landscape picture
without retarding cultivation of the soil, which is of a rich, arable quality,
producing large crops of grain and grass with comparatively little labor.
The timber is that common to most of the towns in this vicinity. The territory
is well watered by numerous streams, the principal of which are Quechee
river, flowing through the northeastern part, and Lull brook, flowing through
the southern portion of the township, emptying into Connecticut river.
Many excellent mill-sites are afforded, some of which are utilized. In
the extreme western part of the town the rocks entering into the geological
structure of the territory are of the calciferous mica schist formation.
This range is very narrow in extent, however, when there comes a large
range of gneiss, extending quite to the center of the township, north and
south; from this point to the Connecticut the rocks are mostly calciferous
schist again, except a small bed of clay slate and a bed of talcose schist
in the northeastern corner. No minerals of importance have ever been found.
The town of Hertford lies contiguous to the Township of Hartford, which
makes it difficult for strangers to distinguish which of said towns may
be meant when either is spoken; and many other inconveniences do attend
the having two towns so near of one name in the State; which to remove:
Be it enacted by the Representatives of the Freemen of the State of Vermont,
in General Assembly met, and by the authority of the same, That the Township
of land and incorporate Body, heretofore known by he name of Hertford,
shall be hereafter called and known by the name of Hartland."
In 1880 Hartland had a population of 1,604, and in 1882 was divided
into sixteen school districts and contained fifteen common schools, employing
six male and nineteen female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary
of $2,069.65. There were 391 pupils attending common schools, while the
entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31st, was $2,530.20,
with D. F. RUGG, superintendent.
HARTLAND, a post village, contains two churches, (Congregational
and Methodist), one hotel, two stores, a tin shop, harness shop, blacksmith
shop, tailor shop, etc., and about thirty dwellings. It is located on Lull
brook, nearly a mile from Connecticut river and about the same distance
from the south line of the town. The brook affords several good water-powers,
and on it, so near as to almost be said to be a part of the village, are
a blanket factory, grist-mill, saw-mill, and two sash and blind factories.
The C. V. R. R. station is about five-eighths of a mile from the village,
where is located the depot and hotel.
HARTLAND FOUR CORNERS is a post village located about a mile and
a quarter northwest of Hartland village. It has one church (Universalist),
a general store, blacksmith and carriage shop, and about seventeen dwellings.
NORTH HARTLAND is a post village located in the northeastern part
of the town, on Quechee river. It has one church (Congregational), two
stores, woolen-mill, saw-mill, and about twenty-five dwellings. The railroad
station of North Hartland is about a quarter of a mile distant.
J. E. ASHWORTH's blanket factory, formerly the Sturtevant woolen-mills,
located on road 26, is operated by water-power, has five looms, one set
of carriages and jacks, and all necessary machinery for manufacturing horse
and army blankets. Mr. ASHWORTH employs twelve men and manufactures 10,000
blankets per annum.
A. A. MARTIN's sash and blind factory, located on road 62, gives
employment to fifteen men, and manufactured during the past year (1882),
500,000 feet of lumber into sash, blinds, etc.
MARTIN & STICKNEY's sash and blind manufactory, located at Hartland
village, does a large amount of business in the manufacture of blinds,
sash, house finishings, brackets, moldings, etc.
J. F. LYMAN's saw and shingle-mill, located on road 62, is operated
by water-power and manufactures 400,000 feet of lumber, 500,000 shingles,
and 15,000 lath per annum.
F. GILBERT's foundry, located on road 56, was established by DARLING
& GILBERT in 1862. Mr. DARLING retired in 1866, since which time the
business has been conducted by Mr. GILBERT. He employs three men and uses
seventy-five tons of iron annually.
The Ottaquechee Woolen Mills, V. J. BRENNAN, superintendent, located
at North Hartland, on the Quechee river, are operated by water-power, have
1,680 spindles, sixty looms, and employs seventy-five hands.
The first settlement in Hartland was made in May, 1763, by Timothy
LULL, who had previously been living at Dummerston. Having concluded to
settle in Hertford, as it was then called, he purchased a log canoe, and
taking with him his family, which consisted of a wife and four children,
and such furniture as they needed, paddled up Connecticut river. Arriving
at the mouth of a stream just north of the southern line of the town, he
anchored his boat and landed his family. Taking then a junk bottle, he
broke it in the presence of his wife and children, and named the stream
Lull brook-the name by which it has ever since been known. Proceeding up
the brook about a mile, he came to a deserted log hut, situated upon the
farm now owned by E. M. GOODWIN. Here he commenced a settlement. For many
years he suffered privations and hardships, “but possessing a strong constitution
and a vigorous mind, he overcame all obstacles, accumulated a handsome
property, lived respected, and died at the age of eighty-one years, generally
lamented." He reared a family of nine children, of whom Timothy was the
first male child born in the town. This birth occurred in December, 1764,
on which occasion the doctress was drawn on the ice twenty-three miles,
from Charlestown, N. H., on a hand-sled. Joab, son of Timothy, married
Ruth BURLINGAME, of Weathersfield, and had eight children, six of whom
are now living. Chauncey, son of Joab, married Laura PRATT, of Hartland,
and had two children, Alfonso and Laura A., both of whom are living, the
former in Hartland and the latter, Mrs. Laura A. STEVENS, in Rutland.
Other settlers soon followed Mr. LULL, mostly emigrants from Massachusetts
and Connecticut, so that two years later, in 1765, the town had thirty
inhabitants. Six years later, when the census of old Cumberland county
was taken, in 1771, the returns show the town to have had within its limits
forty-eight males under the age of sixteen, thirty-one between the ages
of sixteen and sixty, one over sixty, thirty-five females under sixteen,
and twenty-nine (one a negress) above sixteen, making a total population
of 144 souls. In 1791, according to the census of that year, the population
had increased to 1,652, making Hartland the most populous town in the county,
containing nearly fifty inhabitants more than it does to-day.
The town was organized and the first town meeting held, March 11,
1767, though the records do not state where it was held. The following
list of officers were elected: Oliver WILLARD, Esq., moderator and supervisor;
Capt. Zadock WRIGHT and Lieut. Joel MATTHEWS, assessors; Timothy LULL,
treasurer; Ensign TAINTOR and Lieut. Joel MATTHEWS, overseers of highways;
Oliver WILLARD and James HARWOOD, overseers of the poor; Nathan CALL, collector;
and Capt. WRIGHT, Timothy LULL, Ebenezer CALL and Joel MATTHEWS, constables.
According to the records no clerk was chosen until 1769, when Oliver WILLARD
was elected to the office. The first justices appointed were Elias WELD
and Thomas COTTON, in 1786. William GALLUP was the first representative,
Though the settlement of the town seems to have moved along so smoothly,
many privations had to be borne, much hard work had to be patiently performed,
and the strictest economy maintained and the coarsest fare thankfully received.
Notwithstanding all this, however, many happy hours were passed around
the old fireside, at the "bee," or at the back-woods party. On the other
hand, scenes of violence were not infrequent, for they seem to be necessary
concomitants of a new settlement, let the settlement be where it will.
One instance of the latter description may be mentioned. In 1782, a man
by the name of John Billings was found guilty of some contemptible act
and was punished therefore in such a manner as to cause considerable physical
suffering and was humiliating in the extreme. This punishment, however,
does not seem to have been thought sufficiently severe by the majority
of the people, for on the night of May 30th, a party of men composed of
Jedediah LEAVINS, Phineas KILLAM, James WILLIAMS, Timothy LULL, Jr., Aden
WILLIAMS, Timothy BANISTER, Simeon WILLIAMS, Joab BELDEN and William MILLER,
with Amos ROBINSON and Moses MORSE of Windsor, "with force and arms, unlawfully,
riotously, and routously" assembled and assaulted the unfortunate citizen.
As was more clearly set forth in the presentment of the grand jury, they
"did beat, wound, and ill-treat" him by "placing him upon an old horse
without a saddle, tying his feet under the belly of said horse, and hanging
to his feet a heavy weight, and in that situation causing him to ride to
a considerable distance, by which he suffered great pain and inconvenience."
This particular instance of lawlessness seems to have been brought
about by a feeling of dislike of the delay which usually accompanied the
execution of the law. These offenders against good order were taught, however,
that there was majesty in the law; for they were prosecuted by Mr. BILLINGS
and were punished by pecuniary mulcts and were compelled to bear the costs
of the prosecution.
In 1786, another cause for riotous behavior came up, the main points
being briefly as follows: During the summer of that year, "the sufferings
of the people becoming severe, and their complaints loud, on account of
the extreme scarcity of money, Governor Chittenden, in the month of August,
published an address to the inhabitants of the State, which was evidently
dictated by a paternal regard for their welfare and happiness." In this
carefully considered paper, he earnestly exhorted his fellow-citizens to
be industrious and economical; to avoid, as much as possible, the purchase
of foreign productions; and to devote their attention to the raising of
flax and wool and the various articles necessary for food and clothing,
etc. Most of the people were inclined to suffer inconvenience rather than
disturb the peace of the State, ceased to complain, and endeavored to quiet
the murmurings of their neighbors. Others, however, who owed debts and
could not obtain money to pay them, determined “to prevent the sitting
of the courts in which judgments and executions might be obtained against
them.” By the terms of the statute, a session of the court of common pleas
for the county of Windsor was appointed to be held at Windsor on Tuesday,
the 21st of October. On the morning of that day, a mob of about thirty
armed men, from Hartland and Barnard, under the command of Robert MORRISON,
a Hartland blacksmith, and Benjamin STEBBINS, a Barnard farmer, assembled
near the courthouse at Windsor, a little after sunrise. Though no movements
to that effect were made, yet their obvious design was to hinder the sitting
of the court. Stephen JACOB, the State's attorney, and Benjamin WAIT, the
high sheriff, waited on the malcontents, read them the riot act and several
other acts relative to such assemblages, ordering them to disperse, which
they finally did.
On Tuesday, the 14th of November, a term of the supreme court was
held at Windsor, when warrants were issued for the arrest of the rioters,
and MORRISON and several of his men were taken and placed in confinement.
Complaints were then exhibited against them by Stephen JACOB, in which
it was charged that they, on the 31st of October; "with guns, bayonets,
swords, clubs, drums, fifes, and other warlike instruments, unlawfully,
and tumultuously did assemble and gather themselves together, to disturb
and break the peace of the State;” and that being thus assembled, they
"did parade themselves in the front of the court-house in said Windsor
in martial array, and with fixed bayonets did resist, obstruct, and hinder,"
the sheriff of the county and of the county court "from entering the said
court-house, and there did impede from opening and holding the said court,
then and there bylaw to be opened and holden." To these charges MORRISON
pleaded guilty and threw himself upon the mercy of the court. The court
sentenced him to suffer one month's imprisonment; to procure bonds of £100
for his good behavior for two years; to pay a fine of £10, and to
bear the costs of the prosecution. The punishment of the other offenders,
who either pleaded guilty or were found guilty, was proportioned to the
offences they had committed.
Soon after the result of the trial had been announced, about fifty
of the insurgents, most of whom resided in Hartland, assembled under arms
at the house of Capt. LULL with a fixed determination to rescue -MORRISON
from imprisonment. The court having been informed of these proceedings
on the 16th of November, directed the sheriff to procure assistance, proceed
to the place where the insurgents were collected, arrest them, and commit
them to prison. In obedience to these commands Sheriff WAIT, who was also
colonel of the third regiment of the Vermont militia, ordered Capt. DARTT,
of Weathersfield, to march his company to Windsor. On the evening of the
same day the soldiery of the latter place assembled to aid the civil authority.
The court and some of the higher military officers then called a council,
and having taken into consideration the character of the mob, determined
that it would be true policy to take them by surprise. In conformity with
this conclusion, Col. WAIT, with a force of forty men well armed, set out
for the stronghold of the insurgents very early on the morning of the 17th,
and reached it between the hours of three and four.
Having evaded the notice of the guards by taking a circuitous route,
WAIT and his men entered Capt. LULL's house in two divisions, and after
a short, but “very resolute" attack, captured twenty-seven of the insurgents.
During the conflict the leaders of the revolt escaped. So expeditiously
was this performed that WAIT's party returned to Windsor and lodged the
culprits safely in the jail at that place before sunrise. Though the victory
over the insurgents was gained with comparative ease, yet several wounds
were received by the sheriff's party. Stephen JACOB, the State's attorney,
did not escape without injury, and WAIT himself was "badly wounded in the
head." Still he was able to attend court, and, observed a chronicler of
that time, would "have headed his regiment if necessity had required it."
The results of this attack would have been far more disastrous, but for
the humanity and firmness evinced by the military. The conduct of Capt.
DART was highly applauded, and it was publicly announced at the time that
he and his company were entitled to "the particular thanks of the freemen"
of the State.
On the 18th, the State's attorney exhibited a complaint against
the insurgents, in which they were charged with having assembled for the
purpose of hindering the supreme court from proceeding with the trial of
certain persons who had been "informed against for a high misdemeanor,"
and for the purpose of rescuing Robert MORRISON, "then a prisoner in the
goal at said Windsor, pursuant to a legal order from said court." In answer
to these accusations the prisoners pleaded guilty, and appeared "very humble
and penitent." In consequence of these manifestations, they were "treated
with great tenderness by the court." Fines were imposed upon them, and
they were also required to discharge the cost of the suits and to procure
bonds for their good behavior for one year. Fears had been entertained
that an insurrection of the people was about to happen, which would endanger
the government of the State and jeopardize the lives and liberty of those
who refused to join it. Preparations for such an event were accordingly
made, and on Saturday, while the trial of the insurgents was in progress,
six hundred soldiers under the command of Brig.-Gen. Peter OLCOTT assembled
under aims at Windsor. Meantime the insurgents, having received reinforcements,
had collected at LULL's house to the number of a hundred. While in doubt
as to the course they should pursue, information was brought to them of
the preparations for defense or attack which were in progress at Windsor.
Satisfied that the government was too strong to be overcome by their puny
efforts, the rioters dispersed, studious only to avoid detection and disgrace.
Early the following week the soldiers returned to their homes, and peace
was again restored to the distracted community. Thus ended this miniature
Shay's rebellion. In one of the State's attorney's complaints against the
rioters, the persons informed against were as follows: Amos KENDALL, Benjamin
HOLE, Silas HOLE, David HOLE, and Abijah CAPEN, of Windsor; Benjamin MUNSILL,
Timothy WOOSTER, Eleazer BISHOP, Jr., Paul ROGERS, Oliver ROGERS, Samuel
DANFORTH, Sylvanus WOOD, John JENNE, Elzi EVANS, Asa EVANS, Zera EVANS,
Elish GALLUP, Jr.. James KELSEY, and William HOPKINS, of Hartland; and
Josiah CLARK, and Josiah HURLBURT, of Woodstock.
Let us take a look at the country in the vicinity of these stirring
scenes as it appeared in 1807. At the Four Corners there were no buildings
except the tavern, which stood on the southeast corner, a gambrel-roofed
house occupied by Dr. Friend STURTEVANT, who came here from Woodstock that
year and was the only educated physician in the town, one other occupied
by a Capt. FARWELL, who owned and run a saw-mill on the brook, and a small
school house. On the road leading to Hartland village, or the Three Corners
as it was then called, there were no buildings until you came to what was
recently known as the C. W. WARREN place; below this there were dwellings
in nearly the same places of those now occupied by Elisha BARRELL, Wilson
BRITTON, and the late residence of E. H. BAGLEY, also one opposite the
large elm tree still farther east, and at which point the road turned to
the north and led over the hill instead of passing directly east as it
does now, coming into the village by the Quechee road. Near the corner
of Ira ROGERS' farm, on the north side of this road, stood one of the first
stores in town, kept at this time by "Johnny" R. GIBSON. At Hartland village
the, Congregational parsonage then stood as now; the hotel building, two
stores, standing on the sites now occupied for the same purpose, three
houses and Mr. HAMILTON's blacksmith shop, with the school-house opposite
the parsonage, constituted the settlement. Back or west of the Pavillion
Hotel, kept by Lyman CHILDS, a large forest of pine timber extended northward
and westward, covering all the hills in sight.
Col. Oliver WILLARD, to whom and whose associates the New York charter
was issued, was a prominent man in the public affairs of his day. He came
to Hartland in 1763 and made the first settlement upon the farm now owned
by Phineas WILLARD. The first birth in the town was a daughter of Mr. WILLARD.
She died soon after, making the first death in the township.
Gov. Paul SPOONER was also an early settler. He made the first settlement
on the farm now owned by Charles GATES and son, in 1770, and practiced
medicine for a time. Mr. SPOONER was for many years actively engaged in
advancing the public interests of Vermont, and enjoyed the fullest confidence
of the people of the State. He was a member of the council from 1778 to
1782, when he was chosen lieut.-governor of the State. In this position
he was continued until 1786. He was judge of the supreme court in 1779,
1780, and from 1782 to 1788. During the years 1781-'82, he served as judge
and register of probate for Windsor county. In 1779 he was town clerk of
Hartland. Subsequent to this he removed to Hardwick, Caledonia county,
and was chosen first town clerk of that town, in 1795. Of the respect with
which the early officers of Vermont were treated, the following incident
affords a good example: On one occasion the Rev. Elisha HUTCHINSON, the
first minister of Pomfret, was preaching a sermon at a private house in
this town, when Mr. SPOONER entered the room. Pausing in the Midst of his
discourse, the reverend minister informed his audience that he had "got
about half through" his sermon, but as Gov. SPOONER had come to hear it,
he would begin it again. Then turning to a woman who sat near him, he said:
"My good woman, get out of that chair and let Gov. SPOONER have a seat,
if you please"' Mr. SPOONER was accommodated and Mr. HUTCHINSON repeated
the first part of his sermon, much to the edification, it is supposed,
of those who had already heard it.
Daniel SPOONER, brother of the governor, came to Hartland about
the same time of the former, making the first settlement on the farm now
owned by his granddaughter, Sophia M. GAGE. He married Abigail MONROE and
reared nine children, eight of wham attained an age of over seventy years.
Elder Timothy GRAW, for many years pastor of the Baptist church,
was the first settled minister in the town. He located on road 3, upon
the farm now owned by J. H. EASTMAN.
Mathias RUSS, from New London, came to Hartland in 1763 or '64,
to take charge of a grist-mill at what is now North Hartland. This was
the first mill built in the town and the first in the county. Mr. RUSS
continued in charge of the mill several years, then followed farming the
remainder of his life. He reared a family of eight children, all of whom
settled in this and surrounding towns.
Capt. Caleb HENDRICKS, from Massachusetts, was among the earliest
settlers, He located, with his father, upon the farm now owned by J. and
S. S. WALKER, They brought with them two slaves, Caesar BROCKEY and his
brother, and located them upon a piece of land adjoining the farm. A rough
stone now marks the colored men's graves and the spot where stood their
Isaiah ALDRICH made the first settlement upon the farm now owned
by A. L DAVIS. Noah, son of Isaiah, was born and spent his life on the
old farm. In 1852 the children of Noah removed to Mendata [Mendota], Ill.,
where they now reside. The ALDRICH family stood high in the respect of
MARTIN Cabot, who made the first survey of the town, receiving therefore
a choice of a lot in the same, was also an early settler.
Asa TAYLOR, from Connecticut, made the first settlement on the farm
now owned by James L. PADDLEFORD, where he reared seven children -- Asa,
Jr., Samuel, Alvin, Elias, Oliver, Sprague and Nancy. Elias married Azubia
GOSS, of St. Johnsbury, and had born to him Elias, Jr., Solomon, Chandler,
Foster, Samuel, Azubia, Anna, Susan and Sophia.
Eliphalet ROGERS, born at Martha's Vineyard in 1756, entered the
Revolutionary army when quite young, was captured by the enemy and was
confined in an English prison seven years, when he made his escape. After
the war he came back, married, and settled in this town, upon the farm
now owned by Harris MILLER, where he died March 12, 1841, aged eighty-five
years. The only descendants of Eliphalet now residing in the town are Ira,
son of Pethuel, and Silas and Jerome, sons of Jonathan. Artemas ROGERS
came here from Martha's Vineyard in 1780. His son, William, married Chloe
PEABODY and reared eight children, of whom Cyrus W., Daniel P., Lorenzo
and Mary Bagley are now living. Paul ROGERS, brother of Eliphalet, came
here in 1785.
Elisha GALLUP, from Stonington, Conn., was the first settler on
the farm now owned by his grandson, Elisha J. GALLUP.
Samuel WILLIAMS, from Stonington, Conn., made the first settlement
on the farm now owned by John W. SAWYER. In 1782 he built the house now
occupied by Mr. SAWYER. He reared a family of eleven children, of whom
Lewis D., Sarah K. (BATES), and Mary (WHITMAN), are living.
Amos BRYANT, from Middlebury, Conn., made the first settlement on
the farm now owned by Jerome ROGERS, where he reared a family of seven
children. Ephraim, son of Amasa, was born here in 1784 and died in 1869.
Thomas LAWTON, from Petersham, Conn., made the first settlement
on the farm now owned by William SHORT. His children were Thomas, Jr.,
George, Susan, Harvey, Sally, Amelia and Mary, many of whose descendants
now reside here.
Thomas Park ROOD made the first settlement upon the farm now owned
by his great-great-grandson, Melvin J. HOLT, where he built the second
barn put up in the town. He died October 10, 1795, aged sixty-three years.
Adonijah LUCE, from Martha's Vineyard, came to Hartland, June 4,
1774, making the first settlement upon the farm now owned by Byron RUGGLES.
He married Abigail ARTHORN, who died in 1790, and was the first corpse
carried to its grave by a team in the town.
Samuel JENNE, from Bedford, Mass., came to Hartland in 1770, making
the first settlement on the farm now owned by his great-grandson, Sebastian
JENNE. He died January 2. 1802, aged seventy-two years.
Benjamin JAQUITH came to Hartland, from Massachusetts, about 1776,
and made the first settlement on the farm now owned by his great-grandson,
Wesley A. JAQUITH.
Francis CABOT, from Woodstock, Conn., came to Hartland about 1776,
making the first settlement on the farm now owned by F. T. ALEXANDER. He
married Marcia HODGEMAN and reared a family of eleven children, the youngest
of whom died in 1830, aged seventy-four years.
John SUMNER, from Pomfret, Conn., came to Hartland in June, 1777,
settling the farm now owned by his grandson, F. A. SUMNER.
Solomon BROWN, a Revolutionary soldier from Connecticut, made the
first settlement on the farm now owned by his grandson, Sidney BROWN, in
John DUNBAR, another Revolutionary soldier from Connecticut, came
here about 1780, making the first settlement on the farm now owned by Arthur
Nathaniel WEED, from Ware, N. H., came to Hartland about 1780 and
purchased of Asa HEATH the farm now owned by the heirs of his grandson,
James WALKER came to this town, from Massachusetts, in 1781, locating
upon the farm now owned by his great-grandsons, J. and S. S. WALKER. The
old frame house now used by N. F. ENGLISH as a machine shop was built by
James, Jr., in 1800.
Adam CRANDALL, from Stonington, Conn., made the first settlement
on the farm now owned by Harmon MERRITT, in 1782. A. L. CRANDALL, residing
on road 40, is the only one of the family left in the town.
Samuel HEALEY came from Dudley, Mass., in 1783 and made the first
settlement on the farm now owned by his grandson, R. V. GILL.
Isaac MORGAN, with his son Daniel, came here from Groton, Conn.,
in 1784, and made the first settlement on the farm now owned by his grandson,
Charles MACKENZIE, from Londonderry, N. H., came here in 1789, and,
in 1797, purchased the farm now owned by J. N. MACKENZIE.
Joseph LIVERMORE, from Paxton, Mass., came herewith his father,
William, in 1791, locating at North Hartland. In 1793 the family settled
upon the farm Joseph now occupies. The longest period he has been away
from the farm since, was seven months, when he went to the war of 1812.
He is now ninety-four years of age and receives a pension.
Isaac SARGENT came to Hartland, from Ware, N. H., in 1792, locating
upon the farm now owned by his grandson, Isaac N. The house the latter
now occupies was built during that year.
Willard MARCY, from New Hampshire, came here in 1795 and purchased
the farm now owned by his grandson, Daniel MARCY.
Consider, Quartus and Eldad ALEXANDER came to Hartland about 1795.
Consider located upon the farm now owned by Nathan HARLOW, where he carried
on the clothier's trade until his death. His sons Taylor and Foster T.
now reside here. Eldad located on the farm now owned by Charles W. WALES,
where he practiced medicine until his death, in 1827. Qurtus located on
the farm now owned by his grandson, Frederick ALEXANDER. He was the first
blacksmith in this part of the town.
George MILLER came to Hartland with his father in 1795. Mr. MILLER,
Sr., purchased of Gen. ENOS the farm now owned by J. R. POWERS. George
married Lucy DEAN, and reared eight children, six of whom, Adelaide, James,
Anson, Harris, Josephine and Oscar are living. The house in which Mr. POWERS
now lives was built by Gen. ENOS nearly, or quite, one hundred years ago.
The barn was built in 1798 and has never been re-shingled.
Lemuel HOLT, from Woodstock, Vt., came here in 1796, and located
upon the farm now owned by his son, James F. HOLT.
David Hubbard SUMNER, who did so much for the town of Hartland in
the way of developing its business facilities and stimulating its growth,
was born at Claremont, N. H., December 7, 1776, and came to Hartland about
1805, establishing himself in mercantile pursuits about where Mr. STURTEVANT
is now located. In early life Mr. SUMNER's father had intended that David
should be a collegian; but young SUMNER preferred the life of a business
man, so he entered the store of the LYMANS, at White River junction, where
he received the necessary training that made him so successful through
life. In 1809 he also opened a store in Middletown, Conn., which he continued,
with various changes of partners, down to 1856, while at one time he maintained
another branch concern in Louisiana. During the war of 1812, a militia
company was organized here and Mr. SUMNER was chosen its captain. In 1813
and '14 he was appointed postmaster, and retained the office nearly twenty
years, tendering his resignation July 8, 1833. Soon after coming to Hartland
Mr. SUMNER had interested himself in the development of the town by building
roads, establishing a ferry, bridging the Connecticut and establishing
mills. The "Ferry road" and the road from the village to Sumner's falls
are among those he built. October 9, 1809, he purchased the Perez GALLUP
estate, the saw-mill at the falls, which was built a few years previous,
and became extensively engaged in the lumber business, this point and Dalton,
N. H, being the places for manufacture, while the lumber yards for its
disposal were located at Springfield, Mass., and at Hartford and Middletown,
Conn. The mill and dam were carried off by a freshet in 1857. In 1821 he
formed a company and built a bridge across the Connecticut, near the site
of the present bridge, which was ultimately carried off by a freshet. In
1841 he completed another bridge, which shared a like fate in March, 1859.
After that, until his death, he maintained a ferry at that point. He also
became sole owner of the canal and locks at Sumner's falls. Mr. Sumner
married Martha B. FOXCROFT, of Brookfield, Mass., in 1805. She died in
March, 1824, leaving no children. April 25, 1839, he married Wealthy THOMAS,
of Windsor, who survives him. Their children were Mattie, born May 19,
1840, and David H., Jr., born November 8, 1842. Mattie, now the widow of
Hon. Benjamin H. STEELE, resides on the old homestead with her mother.
David H., Jr., died August 18, 1867, a short time before the death of his
father, which occurred August 29, 1867.
Hon. Benjamin Hinman STEELE, the husband of Mattie SUMNER, died
in Faribault, Minn., whither he had gone in search of health, July 13,
1873, and was buried in Hartland on the Friday following. Mr. STEELE was
a resident of the town only a short time, coming here after the death of
Mr. SUMNER, yet his loss was greatly lamented. Mr. STEELE was born in Stanstead,
P. Q., February 6, 18J7, attended school at Derby Center, at the St. Pierre
college, P. Q., at the Norwich University, and graduated from Dartmouth
college in 1857. About a year after his graduation he was admitted to the
Suffolk bar, and also to the bar of Orleans county, and commenced practicing
at Derby Line; and in the autumn of 1865 was appointed to the bench of
the supreme court of Vermont, the youngest man who ever filled that position.
He remained on the bench only five years, however, when he deemed it advisable
to decline a re-election, to the unanimous regret of the bar and of the
public. Mr. STEELE married Mattie SUMNER February 6, 1861, and left two
children, Mary Hinman STEELE and David Sumner STEELE, to comfort their
mother in her great loss.
Dr. Friend STURTEVANT, son of Dr. Josiah and Lois (FOSTER) STURTEVANT,
was born in Halifax, February 19, J767, studied medicine at Middleboro,
with an older brother, Dr. Thomas STURTEVANT, and married Sarah PORTER,
April 25, 1793. After his marriage, Dr. STURTEVANT went to New York State,
thence to Pittsfield. Mass., thence, in 1804, to Woodstock, Vt., and, in
1807, to Hartland, where he was the only educated physician for some years
and had an extensive practice. During the war of 1812 he enlisted in the
U. S. army, as surgeon, was quartered at Plattsburgh, but was taken sick
and returned home before the close of the war and continued the practice
of his profession until his death, August 26, 1830.
Elias BATES was born in Waitsfield, Vt., in 1795, and came to Hartland
in 1812, purchasing the farm row owned by Edgar SPEAR. In 1834 he sold
this place and purchased the farm now owned by his son, James G. BATES,
where he died in April, 1872, aged seventy-nine years.
Charles MARBLE, from Massachusetts, came here in 1816 and purchased
a farm near the mouth of Lull brook, where he built and for many years
run a saw-mill. He reared eight children, five of whom are now living.
Mr. MARBLE died August 7, 1872, aged ninety years.
Barker CROOKER came to Hartland in 1817 and resided here until his
death in 1825. His son, W. S. CROOKER, still resides here.
Harvey LAMB, from Massachusetts, came to Hartland in 1818 and engaged
in farming and running a saw-mill with Lewis MERRITT. About 1821, in company
with Lewis MERRITT and Stephen HAMMOND, he purchased a portion of the farm
now owned by his son, Julius LAMB, and built a distillery which they operated
for several years. They also built a grist-mill where MARTIN & STICKNEY's
shops now are. Mr. LAMB married Esther HAMMOND and reared four children,
three of whom, Julius, Harriet and Clara E., are now living, on the old
Eldad FRENCH, from Tewksbury, Mass., came to Windsor in 1818, and
since that time he has resided in Windsor and Hartland.
Lewis MERRITT came to Hartland from Massachusetts in 181.9, and
rented of Aaron WILLARD a grist-mill which stood where Asa MERRITT's now
is. In 1821 he entered into partnership with Harvey LAMB and Stephen HAMMOND
and built the grist-mill mentioned above.
William LABAREE, son of Peter LABAREE, Jr., was born at Charlestown,
N. H., June 21, 1781, married Sarah KENNEDY, January 24, 1808, and came
to Hartland, from Weathersfield, Vt., in March, 1829. All but two of their
nine children are now living, and three of them, Harriet (Mrs. S. F. SHORT),
Ralph and Benjamin F., in this town. The latter is a merchant at Hartland
Eldad FRENCH, from Tewksbury, Mass., came to Windsor in 1817, as
a guard at the State prison. He returned to Massachusetts again in 1819,
remained five years, then came back to the county, locating here on the
Nathaniel PENNIMAN farm. He married Polly PENNIMAN and reared nine children,
six of whom are living, two sons in this town, as follows: Charles H.,
on road 72, and Robert E., on road 68. His other surviving son, Frank,
resides in Chicago, Ill.
Jonathan BAGLEY was an early settler in the valley of Lull's brook,
locating upon the farm now owned by Sanford B. BAGLEY. Jonathan, Jr., married
Lydia SMALL and reared sixteen children, ten of whom are living. Sandford
B., one of these, has always resided on the home farm. Laura A. and Lucia
A., wives respectively of C. H. and R. E. FRENCH, are twin sisters.
Charles McKENZIE, a native of Scotland, was born November 29, 1768,
and immigrated to America with his parents in 1774, locating in Londonderry,
Mass. About 1788 Charles came to Hartland, in company with Capt. James
CAMPBELL, and located on road 54, near the place now owned by Fred W. CLARK.
He subsequently, about 1797, removed to the farm now owned by his son,
James M. During that year he married Mary SCOTT, who bore him three children
and died. August 27, 1807, he married Eliza PARKER, by whom he had five
sons and five daughters. Only one of the latter, Mrs. Seth JOHNSON, is
living. Of the sons, James M. occupies the old farm, John resides in Woodstock,
and Oliver in Windsor.
Isaac MORGAN, from Groton, Connecticut, came to Hartland about 1788,
locating on road 34, upon the farm now owned by his grandson, D. F. MORGAN.
He reared a family of eight children, several of whose descendants now
Jeremiah RICHARDSON came to Hartland at an early date and located
on road 11. His youngest son, Amasa, was born on the old farm in 1788,
and died thereon in 1870. He married Martha COTTON and reared a family
of nine children, only two of whom, Ward C. RICHARDSON, of Woodstock, and
Mrs. Celistia SLAYTON, of Cavendish, reside in the county. Paul D. RICHARDSON,
Amasa's eldest son, became a clerk in the store of his uncle, Porter COTTON,
at Hartland, and in 1841 succeeded to the business, which he carried on
until his death, in 1870. He was much respected and held several of the
The Congregational church, located at Hartland village, was organized
by Revs. Isaiah POTTER, David FULLER and Peltiah CHAPIN, September 6, 1779,
Rev. Daniel BRECK being the first pastor. The first house of worship was
a wood structure, built in 1785, which did service until 1834, when the
present brick edifice was built. It will comfortably seat 250 persons,
and is valued at $2,000.00. The society now has fifty members, with Rev.
Charles SCOTT, pastor.
The Union church, at North Hartland, is occupied by the Methodist
society. It was built in 1830, and is now valued at $1,500.00. The society
has twelve members, with Rev. H. G. HOUGH, pastor.
The Universalist Christian church at Hartland Four Corners, was
originally organized May 10, 1802, with twenty-six members, under the name
of the Catholic Benevolent Society. Afterwards it was known as the Universalist
Benevolent Society, and since 1842 it has borne its present name. The first
pastor was Rev. Hosea BALLOU, his pastorate beginning with the first Sabbath
in March, 1813. The first church building, a brick structure, was erected
in 1822, and in 1854 gave place to the present wood building, which will
seat 230 persons and is valued at $3,000.00. The society has twenty-four
members, with Rev. C. E. CHURCHILL, pastor.
and Business Directory of
County, Vt., For 1883-84
and Published By Hamilton Child,
N. Y. Printed January, 1884.
by Karima Allison ~ 2004
Hartland Historical Society
settler or not, Old Capt. Timothy Lull or Willard?
~ Virtual Vermont
Vermont Web Site
North Hartland Covered Bridge Replaces Concrete Span!
Township, Windsor County