OF THE TOWN OF
POMFRET lies in the northern part of the town, in lat. 43° 42'
and long. 4° 31', bounded north by Sharon, east by Hartford, south
by Woodstock, and west by Barnard. It was chartered by Benning Wentworth,
governor of New Hampshire, July 8, 1761, by the name it still bears, probably
given in honor of Pomfret, Conn., where many of the proprietors resided,
to Isaac Dana, and his associates. According to the charter deed the town
was to contain 23,500 acres, divided into seventy-two shares and bounded
The township extends across the highland that separates the waters
of Quechee river from those of White river; the northeasterly corner being
on the northerly side of White river, and the southeasterly corner is on
the northerly side of Quechee river; while the southwesterly corner is
in the valley of Mountain brook, so-called, a branch of Quechee river,
and the northwesterly corner is in the valley of Broad brook, a branch
of White river. This ridge of highland passes through the township from
northwest to southeast in a direction nearly parallel with the two rivers,
and in some places reaches an elevation of nearly 2,000 feet above the
ocean. In the northern part is a. somewhat extensive basin formed by two
spurs of hills that extend northwardly from the main ridge, that on the
west closing in on the northerly side and nearly intersecting with the
more easterly spur. This basin, with the surrounding slopes, contains about
twenty valuable farms that are exceedingly fertile. Here, too, a stream
is found affording sufficient power for driving mills and other machinery,
passing in an easterly direction through a deep and narrow gorge, and emptying
into White river a short distance above the village of Hartford. The southerly
part of the town, or the part that lies between the main ridge on the north
and Quechee river and Beaver brook on the south, is divided by nearly parallel
ridges or lines of hills that extend southerly from the main ridge. Along
the valleys between these lines of hills we find some of the most productive
farms in the township. The streams or rivulets that flow through these
valleys are either branches of Beaver brook, which enters the town from
Barnard about two miles northerly of the southwesterly corner and passes
into Woodstock a short distance easterly of the middle of the southern
boundary, or are directly branches of Quechee river, which flows through
the southeasterly corner of the town. Mountain brook, so called by the
first surveyors of the town, in 1761, flows through the southwesterly corner
of the township. Between this stream and Beaver brook is an almost unbroken
ridge of highland that rises to a considerable elevation above the valleys
on either side, yet affording some of the most valuable land for farming
purposes, being cultivated in many places to the higher summits. The town
contains but few rocky ridges and where the surface rises too high for
convenient tillage it is admirably fitted for grazing purposes or for the
cultivation of the forests.
at the southwest corner of Hartford, thence sixty-two degrees west five
miles and one half, then north thirty-four degrees east seven miles, thence
south sixty-two degrees east five miles and one half to the northwest corner
of Hartford, thence south thirty-four degrees west by Hartford line seven
miles to the first bound mentioned."
The geological structure of the territory is composed almost wholly
of calciferous mica schist; though there is a small bed of granite, syenite
and protogine found in the southern part of the town. No minerals of importance
have ever been discovered. The town is almost entirely an agricultural
district, a fair idea of its being given by' census report as compiled
by Melvin H. MILLER in 1879, which for that year was as follows: Hay, 5,695
tons; corn, 3,283 bushels; wheat, 1,677 bushels; oats, 9,580 bushels; potatoes,
13,785 bushels; apples, 20,977 bushels; wool, 39,994 pounds; butter, 100,333
pounds; cheese, 3,440 pounds; and maple sugar, 46,534 pounds.
In 1880, the town had a population of 1,139, and in 1882 was divided
into nine school districts and contained nine common schools, employing
three males and twelve female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary
of $1,148.75. There were 255 pupils attending common schools, while the
entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31st, was $1,885.56,
with Mrs. Jennie P. GIBSON, superintendent.
POMFRET is a small post village located in the central part of the
SOUTH POMFRET is a small post village located in the southwestern
part of the town.
NORTH POMFRET is a small post village located in the northeastern
part of the town.
The town poor-farm, consisting of 300 acres, is located in the western
part the town on road 37. It has at present ten indigent ones under its
shelter. The farm is managed by John C. KEITH.
S. E. LIVINGSTON's chair-stock factory, located at South Pomfret,
employs from ten to twelve men.
Judd L. MAXHAM's saw and cider-mill, located at South Pomfret, turns
out about 200,000 feet of lumber and 300 barrels of cider per year.
Henry BABCOCK's saw-mill, located in the northeastern part of the
town, on Mill brook, saws all kinds of soft and hard-wood lumber.
The first meeting of the proprietors of Pomfret was held in Pomfret,
Conn., at the house of Zachariah WALDO, on Monday, September 7, 1761, when
Ebenezer WILLIAMS, Esq., was chosen moderator, and Isaac DANA, Jr., proprietors'
clerk, who was "sworn to the faithful performance of his trust in said
office before Timothy SABIN, Esq., one of his Majesty's justices of the
peace in the county of Windham." At this meeting it was “Resolved to lay
out one hundred acres to each proprietor according to quantity and quality
as near the town plot as should be found convenient (exclusive of meadowland
and mountains)." Also, "voted that Amasa SESSIONS, of Pomfret, in the county
of Windham, William WINCHESTER, of Southborough, in the county of Worcester,
Messrs. Simeon SESSIONS, Isaac DANA, and Seth PAINE, Jr., all of Pomfret,
or William DANA, of Ashford, in case Mr. PAINE refuses, be a Committee
to view, lay out and make partition as above." It was also "voted to grant
eleven shillings lawful money on each proprietor's right in said property
to defray the expenses of said committee in viewing, laying out and making
partition as above." It was also resolved that the committee "should proceed
on said business some time in the week after next (one fortnight after
said meeting)." The meeting was then adjourned to meet at the same place
on the fourth Monday (23d day) of November, 1761.
Soon after this adjournment three of the committee, Isaac DANA,
William WINCHESTER and William DANA, with Theophilus CHANDLER as surveyor,
proceeded to the wilderness to locate the township according to the description
given in the charter. They reached the town and began the survey about
the first of October, 1761, commencing at the southwesterly corner of Hartford
at a beech tree on the westerly bank of Ottaquechee river. That point was
supposed to be the southwesterly corner of Hartford, the northwesterly
corner of Hertford, now Hartland, the northeasterly corner of Woodstock,
and the southeasterly corner of Pomfret, and is a few rods northwesterly
of the iron foundry and scythe factory lately owned by D. TAFT & Sons.
From this point they marked the southerly line five and one-half miles,
in a westerly direction, crossing Mountain brook near the western terminus
of the line. They then run the westerly line in a northerly direction seven
miles, and at the northern terminus left a bound fully marked, bearing
the date October 2, 1761. They next laid a road ten rods wide through the
center of the town north and south, and laid out seventy "town lots" of
one acre each, thirty-five on each side of the road at the center of the
town. These lots were four rods wide on the road and extended back therefrom
forty rods and numbered back and forth from the southwesterly corner, that
lot being numbered 1, that on the opposite side being number 2, the western
side containing the even numbers and the eastern side the odd numbers.
They then proceeded to lay out what is now termed the first division of
lots, agreeable to the vote of the proprietors, viz.: one lot of one hundred
acres to each of the proprietors, one lot for the propagation of the Gospel
in foreign parts, one lot for the first settled minister of the Gospel,
one lot for the benefit of a school in said town, and one lot for a glebe
for the church of England, as by law established. The committee then returned
to Connecticut, drew a plan of the township, and of all the surveys thus
made, which was laid before the meeting of the proprietors on the fourth
Monday (23d day) of November, 1761, when it was accepted by a formal vote.
To determine each proprietor's lot, a number corresponding with
that each lot was written on a slip of paper in the presence of the meeting,
and it was then "voted that the lots [papers] all be put into a hat together
and delivered to the moderator of the said meeting, and that he shake them
together and call the name of a proprietor and the clerk of said proprietor
should put his hand into the hat and take out a lot and open the same,
and set the number of said lot against the name so called, and so proceed
till the whole were taken out, or drawn, entering the number of each lot
to ye name called." This method was carefully observed and the number of
each lot was entered to the name of the proprietor so called by the moderator.
At this meeting it was also voted to levy an additional tax of six shillings
on each proprietor's right, making in all seventeen shillings per right
for laying out the town. It was also voted to allow each of the committee
four shillings per day and expenses. The expenses of each was estimated
at three shillings per day, as the whole cost of the survey amounted to
£53 2d, which amount, was audited and allowed by the proprietors.
It must be remembered that at this time all of the country north
of No. Four, now Charlestown, N. H., was an unbroken wilderness. The old
French war had been raging, terminating in 1760, only a year previous to
the date of these proceedings. During the period of this war a military
road was cut through the forest from No. Four to Crown Point, passing through
what is now the southerly part of the township of Plymouth. This was the
nearest approach of anything like civilization to Pomfret at the time of
its survey and allotment. In the spring of 1762, Samuel SLEEPER began the
settlement of Newbury, on the Connecticut river, and in 1763, Timothy LULL
commenced the settlement of Hertford, now Hartland.
In March, 1762, an effort was made by the proprietors of this township,
to arouse a spirit of emigration, and at a meeting held on the last Wednesday
(31st) of March, it was voted to pay £1 10s to each of any number
of proprietors, not exceeding ten, who would enter upon their respective
rights and labor three months, and £1 10s more to each one of them
who should labor six months, to be paid when they had completed the labor.
A tax of six shillings was laid on each right for paving this bounty. At
a meeting held at Hollis, N. H., on the 15th and 16th days of June, 1762,
additional inducements were offered by extending the time, or limit, in
which the work could be done to one year from the first of December of
that year, and by voting an additional sum of six shillings. At this meeting
it was also voted to raise a tax of eighteen shillings on each right to
defray the expense of procuring the charter.
In September, 1763, a committee was appointed to lay out and make
a road from the township to Connecticut river, at a point where it would
be most for the interest of the township; but whether such road was marked
we have been unable to determine, as no report of such a committee has
been found. In November of the same year a meeting a was held at Oxford,
Mass., and adjourned to meet at the same place on the 3d Monday of May,
1764; but it is not probable that a meeting was held at that time, for
no report of it is found in the proprietors' book records.
About this time the land title controversy between New York and
the New Hampshire Grants arose. How much this miniature war affected the
value of the rights in this new township of Pomfret, or how much it tended
to check the spirit of immigration and impede the settlement of the town
cannot now be known; but during the summer of 1762, fifteen shares or rights
belonging to delinquent tax-payers were sold for non payment of taxes,
bringing but a little more than two cents per acre. So much had the excitement
of procuring the charter and effecting a settlement of the new township
passed away that no meeting of the proprietors, as near as can be learned,
from November 14, 1763, till January, 1770.
Sometime during the year 1769, the subject of effecting a settlement
of the territory was again agitated, and a few stern, hardy young men proceeded
to the township to make the first necessary steps towards a settlement
by throwing up the walls of their rude log huts, the humble beginning of
their future happy homes. On December 11th of that year, a memorial signed
by eighteen of the proprietors, representing thirty-six of the rights of
the township, was presented to John Winchester DANA, proprietors' clerk,
requesting him to call a general meeting of the proprietors on the last
Wednesday (31st day) of January, 1770, at Woodstock, Conn. At this meeting
Simeon SESSIONS was chosen moderator, and William DANA, clerk. The proprietors
voted to go on and settle the township the coming summer, voted to clear
a convenient road so far into and through the township as the committee
chosen for the purpose should think best, voted to lay out a second division
of one hundred acre lots, on to each proprietors' right, choosing Simeon
SESSIONS, William DANA and David WILLIAMS a committee for that purpose,
and also voted a tax of $2.50 on each proprietors' right to defray the
expenses of the same.
Early in the spring of 1770, preparations were made for effecting
the settlement of the town, and some of the energetic young men resolved
to proceed with their families to the site of their future homes in the
forests of eastern Vermont. The first family to reach the township was
that of Bartholomew DURKEE, from Pomfret, Conn., consisting of his wife
and five children. Mrs. DURKEE was a daughter of Elnathan KEYES, of Pomfret,
Conn., a woman of undoubted courage and great force of character, one well
fitted to be the wife of a pioneer. Arriving at Hartford, Vt., they stopped
at the house of a Mr. BURCH, who lived on the northerly side of Ottaquechee
river, about one mile above Quechee village, on the residence of the late
James UDALL, Esq. From this place the family proceeded on foot, following
a snow-shoe path, drawing their furniture on hand-sleds. Late in the afternoon
of March 6, 1770, they arrived at their destination, where the walls of
a rude cabin had been thrown up the previous year, and in which, without
roof, doors, or windows, they prepared for the coming wintery night. Bark
was placed over one corner of the room, or enclosure, as a shelter for
the bed, a fire was built upon the ground in another corner, logs were
split for a floor, upon which was spread the first meal in their wilderness
home, blankets were hung up for doors and windows and the preparations
were completed for their first night's slumber in their new home in the
midst of the dense, silent forests of Pomfret. As morning dawned, the mother,
looking through the gloomy forest and over the full depths of the winter's
snows, saw before her the sad, lonely and destitute home for her five helpless
children, and her fortitude, for the moment, gave way and grief moistened
her eyes and choked her utterance. The husband saw the distress of his
beloved wife, and immediately exclaimed that she should not be made to
live in that dreary forest, but that they would all return to Connecticut
and spend their days with their friends. This thought aroused the energy,
pride, and fortitude of the noble hearted women, and in characteristic
language she utterly denounced the idea. This decision was never regretted.
With the return of summer came the birds, the flowers and sunshine, prophetic
of the glad future when they gathered their loved ones about them in their
happy home, and gave thanks to Him who had kept them through the trials
and vicissitudes through which they had passed, and changed the gloom of
their first night's experience in the forest to the bright sunshine that
then surrounded them. Thus began the first settlement in Pomfret.
In the course of a few days the DURKEE family was joined by John
CHEDEL and family. Mr. CHEDEL came from Ashford, Conn., March 8, 1770,
and settled upon the place now occupied by O. M. CHEDEL. Mr. DURKEE's family
only preceding him two days. At this time he was living with his second
wife, his first wife having died, leaving him two sons, John and Timothy.
The second Mrs. CHEDEL was Rachel ALLEN, and became the mother of nine
children-three sons and six daughters. She died January 18, 1791, and Mr.
CHEDEL attained an advanced age. His son John located in Providence, R.
I., and Timothy settled in Barnard, Vt. The other sons, Asa, George and
Daniel, all settled in Pomfret, where many of their descendants now reside.
George succeeded his father on the homestead, where his son, O. M., as
before mentioned, now resides.
In 1771 the town had thirty-nine inhabitants, according to the census
of Cumberland county, taken at that time. In 1791 this population had increased
to 710, and many fine farms had sprung into existence. "The true test of
civilization, however, is not found in the census returns, nor in the size
of the cities, nor the crops produced; but in the kind of men turned out."
Pomfret can brave this test with impunity, for during its first century
the sturdy town turned out twenty-five clergymen, thirteen lawyers, twenty-five
physicians, two or three editors, five or six professional teachers, and
during the war of the rebellion fifteen commissioned officers.
The first town meeting was held in March, 1773, when John W. DANA
was chosen supervisor and town clerk; Abida SMITH, Benjamin BUGBEE, Darius
SESSIONS and John BACON, constables. No selectmen were chosen. In addition,
John W. DANA was chosen moderator, overseer of the poor, commissioner of
highways, and one of a committee to lay out a burying-ground. The first
justice was John THROOP, in 1773. John W. DANA was the first representative,
The first birth was that of Rachel, daughter of John and Rachel
CHEDEL, November 18, 1770. The first male child was John DURKEE, December
25, 1770, and received one hundred acres of land from the proprietors.
The fourth child born was Judah DANA, son of John W. and Hannah DANA, April
25, 1772. He married at an early age, removed to Maine, and occupied a
seat in the U. S. senate. Rachel CHEDEL died April 27, 1777, the first
death in the town.
John Winchester DANA, son of Isaac DANA, one of the principal proprietors,
came here in 1770, having, by his father's death, inherited Isaac's share
in the town. He first built a log house, though the location is not known
exactly. He next built a frame house on the site of the present residence
of his granddaughter, Mrs. Persis C. (DANA) HEWITT. Later, he built a large
dwelling in the immediate neighborhood, which was pulled down about thirty-two
years ago. He also built a saw-mill, the first in the town, and manufactured
brick for a time. He married Hannah P. PUTNAM, daughter of Gen. Israel
PUTNAM, and reared a family of thirteen children, all of whom attained
an adult age. At his death he left a large landed estate to be divided
among his heirs. Isaac, son of J. W., died on the old homestead. Betsey
married Jonathan WARE, a lawyer, who was a man of considerable literary
talent. Benjamin died in Waterford, Ohio. Judah died in Maine. Israel P.
removed to Danville and engaged in mercantile pursuits. Hannah P. married
Zebulon LYON and died in Pomfret. John W., Jr., died in Cabot. Daniel died
in Woodstock. Sarah W. became Mrs. Elisha SMITH and died here. David died
on the old farm, where his daughter, Persis HEWITT, resides. Eunice died
in Cornish. Schuyler died in childhood, and Polly died unmarried, at the
age of thirty years.
John THROOP was one of the earliest settlers in Pomfret. His deed
of land from the proprietors was executed in 1769, and is recorded on page
1, vol. I, of Pomfret land records. He was town clerk from 1778, to 1789,
was judge of probate for the district of Hartford from 1783 to 1792, and
probate register from 1783 to 1786, and from 1791 to 1794, inclusive; was
a judge of the supreme court in 1778, '79 and ‘80; was a member of the
legislature in 1778, '79,'87 and '88, and held various town offices. He
died in 1802, and the farm he lived on is now only occupied as a pasture.
Thomas VAIL, from Long Island, N. Y., came to Pomfret in 1773, locating
upon the farm now owned by his great-grandson, Homer W. VAIL. Mr. VAIL
was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and was one of the company raised
at the time of the burning of Royalton, in 1780. He married Hannah BROWN
and reared ten children, all of whom attained a mature age, and died at
the age of seventy-five years.
John FRASER, a native of Scotland, was one of the early settlers
in Pomfret. Daniel, the eldest of his family of nine children, settled
in the southern part of the town, where Edwin MAXHAM now resides. He married
Polly DIX, of Sudbury, Mass., and reared seven children, four of whom,
James, Daniel, George and Mary (Mrs. ADAMS), are living.
William WHITMAN, a Revolutionary soldier, was taken prisoner by
a band of Tories about the time of the surrender of Cornwallis, and was
held by the enemy at New York city until the close of the war. At an early
date he came to Pomfret and settled upon the farm now owned by Austin HOWARD.
He was twice married and reared a family of ten children, five of whom
are now living, viz: Ozro, living in Cincinnati, Ohio; Charles R., a selectman
of Hartford, residing in Quechee village; William, also a resident of Hartford;
Jane (Mrs. Harry ALLEN), in Pomfret; and Sarepta, widow of Levi COWEN,
a resident of Quechee village. Mr. WHITMAN died in 1842, aged eighty years.
Ebenezer WINSLOW came here at an early date and was soon after joined
by his father, Samuel WINSLOW. Ebenezer kept a tavern here for many years,
and died here March 4, 1838, aged seventy-seven years. His son, Gordon,
kept the hotel for a long time, represented the town three years, and was
assistant judge of the county court several years.
Jonathan REYNOLDS, another of the early settlers, located in the
southwestern part of the town, where his grandson, Samuel R. GILBERT, now
Adam HOWARD came here at an early date and located in the eastern
part of the town, where his great-grandson, F. O. PARKER, now resides.
He married Polly MANN and reared a family of nine children, all but one
of whom attained an age of seventy years and over.
Elnathan ALLEN came to Pomfret, from Connecticut, at an early date.
He reared a family of five children, none of whom are now living, and died
at the age of eighty years. His representatives in Pomfret now are five
grandchildren, as follows: John, Madison, Harry and Gilbert D. ALLEN and
Mrs. Cyrus A. KEITH.
Maj. Elisha SMITH was born on the SMITH homestead, June 5, 1776,
married Sarah W. DANA and reared six children. His daughter Eunice married
Alvin BURBANK. Only one of her six children, Dana BURBANK, now resides
Isaiah TINKHAM, from Massachusetts, came to Pomfret in the autumn
of 1779, made a small clearing and built a log house near the present site
of the post office at North Pomfret. He then returned to Massachusetts,
married Susanna ELLIS, of Middleboro, and the following season came back
to his claim in the wilderness. Mr. TINKHAM occupied the log house until
1797, when he built the house now occupied by Humphrey W. COLBURN, which
he retained until his death. In 1797 he was joined by his father and mother,
and soon after built a grist-mill a short distance below the post office.
Mr. TINKHAM died September 29, 1842, Ellis TINKHAM, the second son of Isaiah,
was born here in January, 1793, married Lydia LEONARD, and now resides
with his only son, Orville M., aged over ninety years. Daniel TINKHAM,
third and youngest son of Isaiah, was born here in 1794, married Parmelia
ATHERTON, reared a family of eleven children, became a prominent citizen,
and died in 1873. His widow still survives him.
Samuel SNOW, born May 21, 1752, married Betty PERKINS June 15, 1775,
came to Pomfret, from Middlebury, Mass., in the winter of 1779 and spent
the remainder of his life here. He reared a family of nine children, as
follows: Bela, Eben, Samuel, Jr., Betty, Martin, Lucy, Cyrus, Nathan and
Norman. Bela married Sarah THOMAS, April 3, 1800, reared six children,
and died June 25, 1852. The children were Nelson, Philip T., Velina, Sarah,
Bela, Jr., and Chauncey, only one of whom, Sarah (Mrs. H. SPEAR, of Randolph,
Vt.,) is living. Philip T. married Surreptia HOUGHTON. He was well known,
was a postmaster here for thirty years, and during the last twenty years
of his life he kept a general store. He died in March, 1880. His son Byron
M. is a prominent merchant of Cambridgeport, Mass. Nathan, son of Samuel,
was born September 26, 1792, kept a general store here for forty years.
When he first engaged in the business six or more teams were kept on the
road to carry produce to Boston, returning laden with general goods. Isaac
King, who now resides on road 14, was one of the teamsters.
Jeremiah CONANT, in company with Barnabas WASHBURN, came here from
Bridgewater, Mass., in 1780, and together bought one hundred acres of land
in the western part of the town. They then returned to Massachusetts, married,
and came back to Pomfret the following season. Mr. CONANT was a carpenter,
and for a few years worked exclusively at that trade, while Mr. WASHBURN
labored on their farm. Mr. CONANT was the father of eleven children, only
two of whom, Seth, of this town, and Thomas, of Bridgewater, Mass., are
living. He held many of the town offices and died at the age of seventy
Seth HODGES came to Pomfret, from Ashford. Conn., October 15, 1780,
the night following the burning of Royalton, his family sleeping in a wolf
pit the first night through fear of the savages, and one of his sons, grandfather
of Smith HODGES, who now lives here, joined the party who pursued the marauders.
Mr. HODGES located near the center of the town and resided here until his
death, April 1, 1809, aged eighty-seven years. Smith HODGES, son of Edward,
who died February 27, 1864, was born May 24, 1824. He has been a trapper
most of his life, and has dealt in raw furs and skins over forty years.
His trapping expeditions have taken him from Maine to the Rocky Mountains,
throwing him in the way of adventures and hardships both numerous and marvelous.
Israel KEITH, from Bridgewater, Mass., came to Pomfret in 1780,
bringing with him two sons, John and CHANDLER, aged respectively ten and
twelve years. Soon after their arrival, Mr. KEITH joined a company to go
to the rescue of Royalton, and directed his sons to return to Windsor where
they had friends. The young lads set off alone, guided by marked trees,
but instead of going to Windsor, returned to their home in Massachusetts.
The next year Mr. KEITH brought his whole family to the town, locating
on road 3, where he resided for many years, and finally died in Sharon.
John was the only one of the family whose life was spent here. He resided
or the old farm now owned by his son, Cyrus A., and died in 1863, aged
Robert PERRY, a veteran of both the French war and the war of the
Revolution, settled in the northern part of Pomfret in 1780, where he resided
until his death, in 1816, aged seventy-three years.
Dr. Frederick WARE settled in Pomfret about 1782, the first physician
in town. He was elected town clerk in 1789, held the office sixteen years,
and will long be noted for the neatness and accuracy of his records. He
was a half-brother of Horace EVERETT, of Windsor, who was a member of congress
from 1829 to 1843. The Doctor died December 16, 1832. His son, Leonard,
occupied the old homestead and is living at the age of eighty-two years.
John DEXTER, from Mansfield, Conn., came to this town in the spring
of 1804, locating in the eastern part of the town, on "Bunker hill," where
he resided until his death, aged over ninety years. He was twice married
and reared seven children.
William PERRY was one of the prominent early settlers of Pomfret.
He was a member of the legislature eight years, at various times from 1784
to 1800, and was judge of probate from 1794 to 1799, inclusive.
Abial BUGBEE, a Revolutionary soldier, came to Pomfret in March,
1788, and located where his grandson, Adin BUGBEE, now resides. He reared
a family of nine children, all of whom lived to have families of their
Solomon KING came to Pomfret, from Dedham, Mass., in 1801. He reared
a family of twelve children, most of whom lived to have families of their
own, and died July z9, 1853. Mrs. KING died August 21, 1826.
Laban CHAMBERLIN came to Pomfret in 1802, and located where his
son, Otis, now resides, at Pomfret Center. He took an active interest in
town affairs and died at the advanced age of eighty-four years. Otis was
a merchant here for many years, has held the office of town clerk forty-eight
consecutive years, was postmaster nineteen years, and has held most of
the other town offices. He has also, as administrator, settled twenty-five
estates, acted as commissioner on twenty-six estates, and as guardian for
sixteen orphan children. In 1839 he was appointed a commissioner, by the
legislature, to dispose of the convict labor, and also to settle the expense
of building the court-house, at Woodstock.
John BRIDGE, farmer, settled in Pomfret in 1804, was an active,
influential man in town affairs, and was often in town office. He was a
member of the legislature in 1812, '13, '16, '17, '25, and '26, and was
assistant judge of the county court, in 1820, '21, '22, '23, and '24.
Gideon MAXHAM came to Pomfret, from Middlebury, Mass., about 1805,
and located in the southwestern part of the town, where he died at the
advanced age of eighty-seven years. Only two of his twelve children now
reside in the town.
Crosby MILLER, born in Pomfret, June 6, 1811, was educated in the
public schools and at the academy in Chester, Vt., was appointed postmaster
in 1837, and held the office several years; was State senator two years,
1851 and 1852, a member of the house of representatives four terms, 1860,
'61, '62 and '67; was county commissioner seven years, from 1858 to 1864;
U. S. assistant assessor seven years, from 1863 to 1870, with a district
of seven towns, assistant judge of the county court ten years, from 1872,
and is a State trustee of the University of Vermont and State Agricultural
College; he has also been a director the last seventeen years and president
the last eight years of the Royalton National Bank; has been a director
the last twenty years of the Vermont State Agricultural Society, and is
a director of the Champlain Valley Agricultural Association, located at
Burlington. He has also held nearly all the town offices, was for years
a justice of the peace, and twenty-eight years town treasurer. He married,
in 1835, Orpha HEWITT, daughter of Joseph D. HEWITT, and granddaughter
of Capt. Stephen HEWITT, who settled in Pomfret in 1793. They have two
sons and two daughters. The oldest son, Melvin H., is a farmer on the old
homestead, and married Julia R. WARE, daughter of Leonard WARE, and granddaughter
of Dr. Frederick WARE. Their second son, Crosby P. MILLER, graduated at
the U. S. Military Academy, in 1867, and is 1st Lieut. in 4th U. S. Artillery.
He married Laura, daughter of Gen. Joseph A. HASKIN, U. S. A. He was five
years quartermaster at the Academy at West Point, N. Y., and is quartermaster
at Fort Puble, Minn. Their oldest daughter, Ellen M., married Capt. A.
B. CHANDLER, of the 1st Vermont Cavalry, who served through the war of
the Rebellion, and died after its close, of disease contracted in the service.
Their second daughter, Emma L., married Dr. H. H. McINTYRE, of West Randolph,
Vt., who is general agent of the Alaska Commercial Company, and has had
sole charge of the annual catch of fur seals since the seal islands were
leased to that company by the U. S. Government, and is one of a company
running a Salmon cannery.
John MILLER, father of Crosby, was born in Peterboro, N. H., September
15, 1770, and was a grandson of Samuel MILLER, one of the first settlers
in Londonderry, N. H., and is cousin of Gen. James MILLER of the war of
1812. He was married in 1799, to Hannah CROSBY, of Mansfield, Conn., and
settled in Pomfret in February, 1804. In March, 1806, he was elected town
clerk, and served in that capacity sixteen years, and on his retirement
by resignation received a vote of thanks from the town for his faithful
discharge of the duties of the office. He held many other town offices,
was many years a justice of the peace, and for a long period deacon of
the Congregational church. He died June 30, 1856.
Remington KENYON came to Pomfret, from New Hampshire, about 1820,
and settled on "Bunker hill," where he died in 1869, aged seventy-six years.
Rev. Amos WOOD, a Congregational minister, was born at Lebanon,
N. H., in May, 1763, graduated from Dartmouth college, and located in Pomfret
about 1815. He reared seven children, three of whom are now living, viz.
Mrs. J. W. DANA, Ellis S. and Mrs. R. W. NEWTON. He died at the age of
Elisha FULLER came to Pomfret, from Massachusetts, about 1820, and
located upon the farm now owned by Charles HUTCHINSON. He reared five sons,
and died at the age of forty-nine years.
Dr. Kimball RUSS settled in Pomfret in 1827, and was in the active
and continuous practice of his profession almost forty-eight years, his
first professional visit being made in February, 1827, and the last in
November, 1875. He died December 30. 1875. He was universally esteemed
and trusted as a physician and citizen, and was favorably known to the
profession throughout the State. He left to the town a legacy of $1,000.00,
the income of which was to be given to the poor who are not paupers.
Rev. Elisha HUTCHINSON, A. M., was born at Sharon, Conn., December
22, 1749, graduated from Dartmouth college in 1775. He studied divinity,
and was ordained pastor of the Congregational church of Westford, Conn.,
in March, 1778, and was dismissed in 1783. December, 17, 1784, he was installed
first pastor of the Congregational church of Pomfret, Vt., and was dismissed
January 8, 1795. In 1800 he went to Massachusetts, and died at Newport,
April 9, 1832, aged eighty-three years.
The following Revolutionary pensioners were residents of Pomfret:
Frederick WARE, John DOTEN, Joel PERKINS, Nathaniel RUGGLES, Daniel FRASER,
Abial BUGBEE, Abial MORSE, Phineas RAYMOND, Robert PERRY, Thomas VAIL,
Adam HOWARD, Samuel SNOW, Isaiah LINKHAM, Jonathan HOIT, Aaron BLANCHARD,
John DEXTER, Jesse BRUCE, Nathaniel CARPENTER, Jeremiah CONANT, Isaac DANA,
John DARLING, Bartholomew DURKEE, Increase HEWITT, John MILLER, Jeremiah
PRATT, Christopher SMITH, Samuel SNOW, Benjamin THOMPSON, Chas. WOLCOTT,
William WATERS and William WHITMAN.
The following is a list of the soldiers of the war of 1812, who
have resided in Pomfret: Moses ABBOTT, Levi ALLEN, Warren BLANCHARD, Daniel
BOYNTON, John W. BOYNTON, Luther BUGBEE, Isaac CHURCHILL, Daniel DANA,
Elias FALES, Franklin FALES, Martin D. FOLLETT, James TRUMAN, Richard GLADDEN,
Calvin GREENE, Benjamin HILL, Oliver C. LEONARD, Alfred LEONARD, Alexander
MILLIKEN, Walter MOORE, John MOONEN, Shelden PARKER, Jabez PARKHURST, Marcus
PEAKE, Ephraim PERRIN, Levi PRATT, Aaron V. SMITH, Lewis SMITH, Samuel
P. SNOW, Eben SNOW, Anson SNOW, Cyrus SNOW, Lemuel SPOONER, Hull VAIL,
Jonathan WARE, Jonathan WARE, Jr., and Jonathan WEEKS.
The First Congregational church of Pomfret, located at Pomfret village,
was organized by John W. DANA and others, with twenty-five members, January
8, 1783, Rev. Elisha HUTCHINSON being the first pastor. The present church
building was erected in union with the Christian church, in 1844. It will
seat 200 persons, and is valued, including grounds, at $2,500.00. The society
has forty-two members, with Rev. Henry A. VAN DALSEN, pastor.
The Christian church of Pomfret, located at Pomfret village, was
organized August 17, 1826, by elders Seth ALLEN and Edward B. ROLLINS,
with nine members, Rev. Edward E. ROLLINS, being the first pastor. The
first church edifice, built in company with other denominations, was dedicated
November 23, 1833, and was burned on the night of October 14, 1843. The
present house was built in union with the Congregational church, and dedicated
November 28, 1844. The present pastor of the society is Elder B. B. CHEDEL.
and Business Directory of
County, Vt., For 1883-84
and Published By Hamilton Child,
N. Y. Printed January, 1884.
by Karima Allison ~ 2004