This bridge crossed the Connecticut River at a site more or less south of the village of Upper Waterford. The bridge at this location in 1906 was a one-span Pennsylvania (Petit) Truss. The bridge was built about 1890 by the Littleton Bridge Company at a cost of about $11,000. It was condemned about 1931 and closed to all traffic except single vehicles. It was replaced by a new Route 18 deck plate girder bridge built in 1934 about one mile downstream. The bridge was destroyed by ice floes during the flood of 1936. Prior to the creation of the reservoir behind the Samuel Moore Hydroelectric Dam, the northern abutment of the bridge was still visible.
Littleton-Waterford Bridge Visible Abutment
This bridge crossed the Connecticut River at a site more or less south of the village of Lower Waterford. The road to the site of this bridge is still visible and is passable to four wheel drive vehicles. The road extends downhill past the Waterford Town Office.
The history of this bridge is somewhat obscure. It probably existed in the early 1820s as the estate of Abel Goss included several shares of the Second Littleton Bridge. A deed between Abel Goss and his mother Irena mentions a road heading from the Second Littleton Bridge. Presumably this bridge was destroyed by ice or log jams as a letter from Abel Goss to Story Goss talks of a bridge that is nearly done. In 1890 this bridge was again destroyed in a spring flood and was never rebuilt. The site of the bridge was inundated after the completion of the Comerford Dam.