. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . .
GROTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY
P.O. Box 89, Groton, VT 05046
Click here to get a panoramic view of the inside of the Peter Paul house. Christopher Stokes, BMH Senior, has created these views so we can all take a virtual tour the house. Thanks to Chris for completing this Senior project and giving those that can't travel to Groton a chance to see the Society's work.
The Groton Historical Society building is open by appointment only
and is located at 1203 Scott Hwy, Groton, VT.
Paul house (bottom left) has been home to the society since 1989 and has become
a repository for the many hundreds of artifacts from
Grotons past which have been collected by the
members. The Society is in a sense a trustee of the town's
heritage and as such views the gathering and preserving of
mementos from the past as an on-going process since it was formed
in the early 1930's. Photos by Donald L. Smith.
Vice President.........Deanne Page.............802-584-3584
* * *
Newsletter Editor.....J. Willard Benzie..............email@example.com
Website Editor ........Donald L. Smith.......DonSmith@donsmitty.com
* * *
Become a member of the Groton Historical Society.
The annual fee is only $10.00 for individuals and $15.00 for families. Lifetime membership dues are $100.00. There is no joining fee. You can join at any of the meetings or mail your dues to the above address.
Meetings are held at the Peter Paul
on the second Tuesday of each month, April through October at 10:00 A.M. Visitors are welcome.
Research material available:
- Groton Times newspaper which ran from 1897 to 1930, available on microfiche.
- The Civil War, As Recollected by an Ordinary Soldier, by Seth Eastman. Copies available for $5.00 + $2.00 for S&H.
- Mister Glover's Groton - The chronicle of Groton, VT from 1789 to 1978. Out of print, no additional copies available.. However, members will do lookups for you.
- Groton Censuses. 1790-1930. Most available on-line.
- Groton cemetery listings. Most available on-line.
- List of Groton men who served in the Civil War.
NEW- Family Genealogies. Groton Families in 1790; For Searchable Dropbox Link click here.
- plus much more...
- Projects of the Groton Historical Society - Stop by to see what projects have been completed, which ones are ongoing and what's new. Got an idea? Please forward to Don Smith.
Gallery - Do you have photos
of Groton or the people of Groton from years past? Would you like to share
them here on the GHS website? Please forward to
Don Smith. Remember to include
captions so we can identify those places, people and things that are in your
* * * NEW - 300 photos added to the Photo Gallery 2/12/13 * * * I need your help in identifying the people, places and things that are in these photos. If you have any updates, please email me.
* * * NEW - 2013 GHS All-Class Reunion Yearbook; click here. The All-Class Reunion held in June was a huge success with 120 alumni (graduates, students and teachers) and 48 guests participating. All but 12 of the alumni, and some of the guests had their pictures taken for an All-Class Reunion yearbook. The booklet will be on sale Fall Foliage Day at the Peter Paul House for $2.50 or can be mailed to you for $3.00 while supplies last. (Please contact J. Willard Benzie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Links to Groton family histories.
(Submit your link to be posted here)
to Don Smith.
Groton Historical Society Newsletters:
|2013||Volume 26 Issue 4||Volume 26 Issue 3||Volume 26 Issue 2||Volume 26 Issue 1|
|2012||Volume 25 Issue 4||Volume 25 Issue 3||Volume 25 Issue 2||Volume 25 Issue 1|
|2011||Volume 24 Issue 4||Volume 24 Issue 3||Volume 24 Issue 2||Volume 24 Issue 1|
|2010||Volume 23 Issue 2|
|1988||GHS Newsletter Issue 2||GHS Newsletter Issue 1|
Caledonia County Vermont Genealogy Project
Vermont GenWeb Page
Return to the Groton, VT main page
Caledonia County Genealogy Project - Founded 21
Groton Vermont Page established 2 November 1996
This site created by Jim Dresser and maintained by: Donald L. Smith
E-mail to Don Smith
Copyright © 1997 by Jim Dresser
Background photo by Donald L. Smith