This page is maintained by Ann Mensch, County Coordinator for Caledonia County, VTGenWeb. Though the information on this web page is believed to be correct, the possibility of error remains. Please notify Ann Mensch should an error be found.
+ Brief History of Goshen Gore / Stannard +
+ Biographies +
+ Index to Names which appear in Goshen Gore on the ca. 1858 atlas: "Map of Caledonia County, Vermont From Actual Surveys under the direction of H. F. Walling", New York : Baker & Tilden, 1858.
+ Stannard Historical Society (Stannard, VT)
9 Willey Road - Greensboro Bend, VT 05842 Phone: (802) 533-2317.
+ Stannard Town Clerk:
P.O Box 94 - Greensboro Bend, VT 05842 Phone: (802) 533-2577.
Primary Source: The Vermont Historical Gazetteer: A Magazine, Embracing a History of Each Town, Civil, Ecclesiastical, Biographical and Military, Vol. 1. Edited by Abby Maria Hemenway, "Goshen Gore," By Joseph Clarke, Burlington, Vt : Miss A. M. Hemenway, 1867, (pp. 434-435).
There were two Gores in Caledonia county by this name. The largest contained 7339 acres; was situated in the northwest part of the county, bounded north by Wheelock, east by Danville, south by Walden, and west by Greensboro. The smaller Gore contained 2828 acres, and was located in the southwest corner of the county. The smaller Gore, sometimes referred to as "the less," was set off to Washington County. These Gores derived their name from the town to which they formerly belonged. By a singular act of the legislature, these two Gores, in Caledonia county, and one still larger in Addison county, 70 miles distant, containing 13,000 acres, were incorporated into a town by the name of Goshen; chartered February 1, 1792, to John ROWELL, Wm. DOUGLASS, and 65 others, and re-chartered to the same, on November 1, 1798.
The inhabitants of the part of the town in Addison county, organized March 29, 1814. The Gores in Caledonia county were severed from the town of Goshen by the legislature in 1854. The larger of the Gores in Caledonia county was referred to as "Goshen Gore, near Hardwick" and "Goshen Gore by Wheelock" to distinguish it from the smaller Gore. There were frequent petitions by the inhabitants of the larger Gore in this county to become organized into a town, the first being presented to the legislature in 1835. The larger Goshen Gore was organized, in 1867, and was called Stannard by the time the 1870 U. S. Census was taken.
The first settlements in the land which became known as Stannard were made by Elihu SABIN and Warren SMITH in 1802. SMITH did not settle permanently. SABIN built a frame house which he occupied until his death some 41 years later. Other settlements were made soon after that of SABIN, by Reuben SMITH, Elisha SHEPARD, Reuben CROSBY, Thomas RANSOM, Azariah BOODY, Ephraim PERRIN and Andrew BLAIR. Improvements were made about the same time by several other transient residents.
Although the settlement of the place was at comparatively a later date, the hardships incident to new settlements had to be encountered. Supplies of grain and necessaries had to be procured in a measure from adjoining towns; the method of transporation frequently upon their backs, and the method of payment, often by a day's work. The frosty season of 1816, and others which occurred previously, was severely felt. Mary SABIN was the first child born. Freeman SMITH was the first male child, and Edmund BARKER and Betsy SABIN, the first couple married in Stannard.
By about 1867, the western portion of Stannard, towards the Lamoile river, comprised about two-thirds of the territory, and had been improved by resident occupants. There were reportedly over 40 families in Stannard by 1867. Two or three farms on the eastern extremity, adjoining Danville, had been under improvement since 1805; James CLARK and Thomas YOUNG made the first improvements there.
The eastern portion, though well timbered, was chiefly unimproved and mountainous. A pond, covering about 80 acres, in the northern part, the outlet of which found its way to the Connecticut River, was the site of a steam saw mill erected, in 1856, by T. G. BRONSON. BRONSON died in 1857, and the mill passed into the hands of others--HAWKINS & ROSS were the proprietors in 1867. At that time, nearly 1,000,000 feet of lumber was manufactured at this mill annually, which was principally drawn to St. Johnsbury, and used in the manufactory of E. & T. FAIRBANKS. About a mile west of this pond is/was "Beaver Meadow," also called "Blueberry Meadow." A stream once called "Gore Brook" arises from this meadow and empties into Lamoile River.
The first saw mill was built by G. W. COOK, on a stream which is the outlet of a pond in Wheelock. This mill was burnt, and another built by William SHURBURN on the same spot. The second was burned, and the third was built by Enoch FOSTER in 1833, which was still in operation in 1867. Another mill was built in 1840, by Levi UTLEY, in the Gore brook, leading from Beaver Meadow.
In 1867, the first meeting house, first public house, first grist mill, first physician, and the first lawyer, remained among the things that had not yet existed within Stannard.
The first school was kept by Barilla MORSE, in Reuben CROSBY's barn, in 1812. Judith CHASE, Betsy SABIN and Lucretia WASHBURN were the next succeeding teachers. Mrs. Andrew BLAIR sent her girl to the first school, and paid the tuition with a pink silk handkerchief. "Schoolmarm know'd I had it, and she wanted it to make her a bonnet." (Reportedly, "Good old Mrs. Ann BLAIR's testimony.) The first frame school house was built in 1823. In 1834, a second school district was formed.
A Freewill Baptist Church was organized in Goshen Gore in August, 1841, and the Elder John Garfield ordained pastor. It consisted originally of 12 members; growing to over 50 members by the late 1860s. In 1855, H. W. HARRIS became their minister; he was succeeded by Elder Geo. KING, who was ordained pastor of the church in 1857. After Elder KING left, the church was supplied by itinerant ministers.
Copyright, 2002-2013, by Ann Mensch.