The Town of Stockbridge, Vermont
including the village of Gaysville

Stockbridge History

  • About Stockbridge,Vermont
  • StockbridgeHistory Timeline
  • Timelineof Business and Industries in Stockbridge and Gaysville
  • StockbridgeEducation Timeline
  • PopulationStatistics for Stockbridge from Federal Census
  • Stockbridge Links

  • [Stockbridge,VT]  [WindsorCounty, VT] [VTGenWeb]
     


    About Stockbridge 
    STOCKBRIDGE

         The Town of Stockbridge includes the village of Gaysville. Though a large portion of Gaysville was destroyed during the flood of 1927, it remains an active village today.

         Another hamlet, by the name of "No Town", thoughnot appearing on modern maps that have been consulted, is found situated,in the southeastern cornerof Stockbridge, on a 1911 map of the northwest corner of the Woodstockquadrangle, online at HistoricUSGS Maps of New England  & New York.  The boundariesappear to have varied through the years, with "No Town" appearing to bewithin Sherburne, in RutlandCounty on a 1943 map., however, this area remains within Stockbridgepresently.

    Return to HistoryMenu 
    Stockbridge History
    TIMELINE HISTORY OF STOCKBRIDGE 

    1761 - First grant made to William Dodge and 61 associates byB. Wentworth in the Province of New Hampshire.
    1779 – First meeting of Proprietors held in Massachusetts.
    1784/1785  - First permanent settlers:  John Durkee,Asa Whitcomb, Elias Keyes, Joshua Bartlett and Samuel Wiley.
    1784 – First child born in Stockbridge - Joseph Wiley 
    1785  - Town first surveyed by Park Holland – 48 sq miles– 30, 720 acres 
    1787 – First recorded death – Mrs. Betsey Bartlett – died ofexposure suffered when she attempted to bring cattle off Sable Mt duringa storm. 
    1789 - First marriage in Town: Robert Lyon to Katherine Burnet
    1789 – First Sale of Properties for Delinquent Taxes
    1791 - Census shows 22 families – 100 people – living in Stockbridge
    1792 – Stockbridge became an organized Town. – John Whitcombwas the
    town’s first representative to Congress
    1797 - Town meeting - voted one penny an acre tax to build abridge over the White River.
    1800 - August town meeting the town voted to provide a meeting house.
    1800s – Town consisted primarily of family farms.  Sheep,cattle, hogs, oxen and horses were common to the area. 
    1800-1810 - This period was one of growth and organization to meet the demands of the town. Houses of sawn boards and timbers replaced the rude earthen floored log cabins.
    1801- First Bridge over the White River. Voted a penny an acre from each landowner to pay for the bridge.
    1801 - 836 acres on the North side of the Town was annexed by Bethel.Elias Keyes owned much of this land and so the surveyor general gave him 836 acres, to compensate him for his loss.
    1803 – An epidemic of dysentery  “swept off a great partof the children in the town” (From Zadock Thompson’s  “Vermont” pub1842)
    1806 - At this town meeting it was proposed that a general inoculation for Small Pox be undertaken by the town; but because of opposition no final action was taken.
    1807 - Action was taken at this meeting concerning oxen and teams onthe Common. None were to be left unhitched or "at large".
    1809 - Acted to limit the roaming of hogs. Hogs found at large between May 1st and Nov. 1st are to be forfeited.
    1811 – The town was divided into 7 school districts with a totalof 238 students.  The total population of Stockbridge was 700.
    1815 - At town meeting it was voted that all cattle with their marks should be registered with the town clerk.
    1820 – Voted to tax the people one cent on the dollar to defraythe costs of maintaining the “poor and other needy”
    1823 - Grand List-136 families paying $ 9,616.60 for taxes.
    1823 - At the February 19th town meeting it was voted to allow taxesto be paid in grain. In September the selectmen were instructed to find a placeto store the grain that had come in for taxes and for rentals. The occupants ofministerial lands were requested to pay their rents, these could be paid in grain.
    1824 - In March it was voted not to build a new bridge at Chase's over Stony Brook, but a committee was appointed to investigate and empowered to spend $5 to repair the old one.
    1825 - Each town meeting from 1824 on they voted someone to take charge of the arms of the community.
    1825 - Grand List ---received $10,705.00 in taxes.
    1826 – Town meeting alternated between Stockbridge and the Narrows
    1828 – Town voted to repair roads and bridges damaged by the“recent “ freshet 
    1828 – Voted to build an arch bridge over Stony Brook
    1834 – Post Office at Gaysville established by Merrick Gay
    1837 – Established the boundaries of a section to be known asGaysville
    1838 – Meeting house built in Gaysville
    1840 – 1,419 inhabitants, 2 meetinghouses, 2 grist mills, 4saw mills, 1 woolen factory, 2 stores, 2 taverns, 1 tannery and 13 schooldistricts
    1841 – Town voted to purchase a Poor Farm
    1832–1891 - Woolen Mill, Button Factory and Power Plant builtin Gaysville
    1862– 116  Volunteers from Stockbridge enlisted in theUS military or Vermont Militia. 
    1884 – “No Town” becomes part of Stockbridge, annexed from ParkersGore 
    1890s  - Mining for gold takes place on several town sites
    1896 – Belcher Library established from the bequest of WilliamC. Belcher.
    1899 – Town granted a 10-year tax exemption to any manufacturingor canning
    establishment to be located in Stockbridge
    1900 – First run of the Peavine Railroad between Bethel, Stockbridgeand Rochester
    1901 – Last run of the horse drawn stagecoach which connectedStockbridge with Bethel and Rochester since 1861
    1910 – Train wreck on the Stony Brook Bridge
    1913 – Gaysville damaged by flood 1923 – Verde Antique Marblediscovered at the Greeley Talc mine in Stockbridge.
    1927 – Flood of Nov 3 destroyed 15 homes, barns and other buildings,wiped out the center of Gaysville, the railroad and its station, and theMethodist church. 
    1932 – Last run of the Peavine Railroad 

    Return to HistoryMenu 


    Business andIndustries in Stockbridge and Gaysville

    1786 – First grist mill and saw mill built by Elias Keyes
    1800s – Predominantly family farms, some logging and raisingof hops.
    1840 – Stockbridge had 1,419 inhabitants, 2 meetinghouses, 2grist mills, 4 saw
    mills, 1 woolen factory, 2 stores, 2 taverns, 1 tannery and 13 schooldistricts
    1856 - Mr. Greenbanks with Nelson Gay, A. A. Brooks of Bethel, F.P. Holden and Chester Downer of Sharon founded the Gaysville Manufacturing Co., they employed 70 workers and grossed $125,000.00 a year. They made men's underwear of natural hue and also bright red; they also made flannel.
    1856 - About this time Isaac Jones started a saw mill which did custom work. It was water powered.
    1856 - The Stony Brook Lumber Co. in No Town was steam powered, and capable of producing 10,000 feet of lumber and 6,000 feet of clapboards a day.
    1856 Mr. Durkee had a soapstone factory, which made all sorts of articles from soapstone; hand and foot warmers etc..
    1884 Gazetteer – listed 7 Blacksmiths, 6 Carpenters, 2 Physicians,2 Wheelwrights,3 Wooden Ware Mfgs, 1 Knitting Mill, a Shingle Mill anda Cider Mill, 2 Undertakers, a Lumber Company and a Hotel, as well as severalmerchants of food and dry goods.
    1884 – 1894 – The Gaysville Button Company and Power Stationwere built at the ”Narrows” on the White River. 
    1900 – The Eastern Talc Company and Verde Antique Marble Quarriesoperate in town.
    1913 – Perley W. Green began a Ford dealership at StockbridgeFour Corners
    1925 – Ketchum Snowshoes were made by hand in Gaysville. 
    1946 - 2002 – Stanley Rule and Level Company and Advanced Animationsoperate in Stockbridge. Hawk Mountain Corp builds 50 homes. Robert Ketchumoperates the single remaining dairy farm in Stockbridge.

    Return to HistoryMenu 



    Schools in Stockbridge

    1800 – The town meeting voted the first money for “schooling”
    1811 – The town was divided into 7 school districts with a totalof 238 students.  The total population of Stockbridge was 700.
    1882 –  The town was divided into 9 school districts andcontained 10 common schools, with a total of 260 students. It employed2 male and 32 female teachers to whom was paid an aggregate salary of $1,179.08. 
    1896 – The 4 largest Schools in Stockbridge, 2 at Gaysville,one on Stony Brook and one on the Common had more than 25 pupils each andmaintained 30 weeks of school. 
    1956– Stockbridge Central School built

    Return to HistoryMenu 



    PopulationStatistics for Stockbridge from Federal Census:

    1791 –  100   1810 –    700    1820 –   964      1830 – 1,333
    1840 – 1,419  1850 – 1,327   1860 – 1,264     1870 – 1,269
    1880 – 1,124     1910 –    737    1920 –   618   1930 –  460
    1940 –    490  1950 –    427  1960 –  392  1970 –  389
    1980 –    507  1990 –    618 2000 –   684  


    Return to HistoryMenu 
    [Home]


    Please  don’t let any part of Stockbridge History be lost!

    Any item you have or find that relates to an earlier time in Stockbridge,or any memories you may have of people, places and times past should beshared.

    Contact: Stockbridge, VT Town Coordinator E-mail: BarbVellturo
     
         Stockbridge-GaysvilleHistorical Society 
           P.O. Box 100
           Gaysville, Vermont 08746

    For membership information or to benotified of meetings, 
    phone Mette Rea at (802) 746-8369.
      

      Return to Stockbridge,VT main page
                                   

    Stockbridge Links

     

    Contact Ann Mensch: Webweaverfor Stockbridge, VT

    E-mail Stockbridge, VT Town Coordinator: Barb Vellturo

     

     Return to Stockbridge,VT main page

    The USGenWeb Project


    USGenWeb for Vermont

    Copyright 2002 by Ann Mensch and Barb Vellturo.  All Rights Reserved.