185

Levi, the second son, was living with friends in Temュpleton, and thus escaped the sad fate of the rest of the family. He afterwards married and lived in Marlborough, where he died a few years since, leaving a wife and children.

 

 

覧覧覧覧覧

 

 

LONGEVITY, LONG MARRIED LIFE, ETC.

 

 

The first white woman and undoubtedly the oldest person that ever lived in town, was Mrs. Jane Hazleton, who died on the Franklin farm, February 16, 1810, at the advanced age of one hundred and three years, eleven months and eleven days. A venerable lady who well remembers this centenarian, says of her, that the day she was one hundred years old she spun a full day's work, and then called her son and told him to set her wheel away, as she had spun her last thread. Tradition says that Mrs. Dyer was the first white woman that ever wintered within what was then supposed to be the chartered limits of Fane. We find her death recorded November 27, 1789, at the age of eighty-nine, and that of Joseph Dyer, September 2, 1790, at the age of ninety. The name of Ebenezer Dyer, who is reported in Thompson's Gazetteer as one of the original trio of settlers, is not mentioned in the town records or Hezekiah Taylor's notes ; but, inasmuch as the early historian has handed down the name, it is probable that there was such a name in the family. We have been able to obtain the least authentic knowledge of this family of either of the original three.

Isaac Goodnough and wife lived in the married state sixty-six years. She died October 8, 1804, aged eighty-seven, having been a member of the church seventy-two years. He died July 6, 1805, aged ninety-two. Thomas Green and wife lived together sixty years, dying July 10 and 24, 1804, at the age of eighty. Artemas Bruce and wife

 

24

186

were married fifty-five years. He died July 31, 1811, aged eighty-four. She died the 29th of August, following, aged seventy-eight. The first grown person whose death we find recorded by the Rev. Mr. Taylor, is that of Ebenezer Merrick, who was killed by a falling tree, January 9, 1779, aged seventy-five. April 20 and 21, 1795, five children died in town under twelve years of age.

 

 

覧覧覧覧覧

 

 

 

ROADS AND BRIDGES.

 

 

As is well known, all the social and business intercourse between the first settlers of our New England forests was conducted by the aid of marked trees. By their aid the beaten path was formed, and as the people and their wants increased, the trees along the line were cut, and a track that marked the advent of civilization formed. In this town there were, undoubtedly, two of these paths leading from the north and south part of the town, to a point near the mouth of the South Branch, as we find an undoubted record that there was a bridge over the stream at this point, before 1782, but the records fail to show by whom or by what means this bridge was built.

We find the first record of a regularly surveyed and laid out road to be in June, 1782, when it appears that the selectmen, Moses Kenney, Charles Evans, and Jonathan Park laid, and Lieut. Ward Eager surveyed, three roads. The most important and undoubtedly the first of these roads, commenced at the east side of the common and run eastwardly down the hill in and near the track already improved, to a point near the house of Thomas Higgins, thence in a northerly direction to Townshend line. In September following, a road was laid, commencing at a point near the house of Artemas Bruce and running south by marked trees and monuments, to and across the bridge at the mouth of the Branch, to Dummerston line. During