FROM THE UNPUBLISHED HISTORY OF REV. J. Y. GOODHUE.
1761. Shoreham, a handsome township, with the lake for its western border, 40 miles S. of Burlington, and 12 S. W. of Middlebury, was chartered in 1761, earlier than any other town W. of the Green Mountains, N. of Castleton. 26,319 acres to 64 grantees, — obtained through the agency of Col. Eph. Doolittle, captain under Gen. Amherst, who served at the capture of Ticonderoga and Crown Point; and is said, with many of his men, to have been engaged in laying out the military road from Crown Point to Charleston, N. H., which passed from Chimney Point, in Addison, through Bridport and Shore‑
94 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
ham, in each of which towns the Colonel became proprietor of 6 rights.
1773. Samuel Woolcot settled with his family, who, with his son, was one of Allen's party, and went with him into the fort.
1774. Amos Callender came from Connecticut to Shoreham. The family fled in 1777, but returned in 1783. In 1793, he built a brick house, and kept tavern for many years, — the most elegant in this part of the country, and the resort of pleasure parties from the towns around.
1766. In the spring, Col. Doolittle, with 12 or 14 others, among whom were Dan'l and Jac. Hemenway, Robert Gray, Jas. Forbush, Paul Moore, John Crigo, Dan'l Southgate, Nahum Houghton, and Elij. Kellogg, came in a company from Worcester County, Mass., built a log-house, (whose site is still pointed out,) and lived as one family the first year, the men taking turns in cooking. Fever and ague prevailing, some of the party left; but the Colonel spent most of his time here, though he did not remove his family till 1783. Both he and his son, Col. Joel Doolittle, died in this town. The father built the first sawmill, assisted by Marshal Newton, a large land-owner, who was active in promoting the interests of the settlement.
ELIAS KELLOGG is said to have been the first man who entered the fort of Ticonderoga, after Allen and Arnold. After the capture of Moore, he spent one winter here entirely alone. He was taken prisoner not long after, and confined awhile at Ticonderoga, from which place he and two other men, by the name of Hall, made their escape across the lake.
WM. REYNOLDS, son of John Reynolds, from New Concord, N. Y., was a tory, the only one who ever lived in this town. Some time after the war, he settled in Canada, on land given him by the British government.
DAN'L NEWTON, another one of Allen's party, settled here before the Revolution, and died here in 1834, aged 80. He was a practical surveyor, a man of influence, and a Christian.
1775. Only 6 families are known to have lived here previous to this date. In 9 years, the inhabitants did not probably exceed 30.
Shoreham was the final rendezvous of Allen's party before his expedition to capture Ticonderoga; Hand's Cove was the starting-point. 9 men from this town were known to have been with Allen when he entered the fort.
1783, and the succeeding year, most of the settlers returned to their homes, and others soon joined them.
1787. JOHN S. LARABEE, a trustworthy, intelligent man, who made many friends by his fine social qualities, came in 1783, and settled at Larrabee's Point, to which he gave the name in 1787, where (except while 6 years county clerk, he resided at Middlebury) he spent the remainder of his life, dying Nov. 28, 1847. He was one of the early public surveyors; established the first regular ferry at the Point; held the office of town representative; was Judge of Probate and the County Court; and, late in life, united with the Methodist Episcopal church.
DEA. STEPH. BARNUM, (of the Congregational Church,) who died in this town Aug. 24, 1834, aged 77, was another Revolutionary soldier.
SMITH STREET takes its name from 4 brothers from Nine Partners, N. Y., who settled on the lake road: Seth Smith, in 1784; Dea. E. Smith, elsewhere noted; Maj. Nathan Smith, who, with Benjamin Vaughan, first scaled the breastwork in pursuit of the enemy at the battle of Bennington, and died previous to 1800; and Amos Smith, a carpenter, joiner, and merchant.
1785. Two brothers, said to have been great hunters, Thomas and Nathaniel Rich, settled near the present village of Richville.
1786. The town was organized, Thomas Bailey first town clerk. Measures were taken to build a gristmill, and 63 families are reported to have moved into town.
THOMAS BARNUM, who died here Feb. 17, 1836, aged 84, was an early settler, a soldier of the Revolution, in the battle of Trenton and several other engagements, — a man of character and piety.
AMOS LENOX, another early settler, as he had no children, left a handsome legacy to the Cong. Society, and directed, on his death-bed, that a large portion of his large property, after the demise of his wife, should be devoted to benevolent objects.
WM. LARABEE was the first physician in the village, Moses Strong the first lawyer, and Geo. and Alex. Tumble kept the first store at Larabee's Point, about 1789.
1797. Richville flourished finely; had a black-smithery with 4-fires and 2 bellows, worked by water; a forge; nail and a trip-hammer shop; lime works, 2 stores, &c. It long went by, and even to this day is sometimes called, Hackleburnia, from Dan'l Newton looking on its desolation after a fire, and exclaiming, "Hackle and burn." It is called Richville out of regard to the family who were the first founders of the settlement.
Early as 1786, Geo. Leonard built of logs the first house in the village. He was a German, a tailor by trade, and the only one in town for many years, and a soldier in Burgoyne's army.
PAUL SHOREHAM CRIGO, the first male child born in town, received from Paul Moore, the first settler, 100 acres of land for his name. Daniel Newton Kellogg, the first male child born after the Revolution, received from Dan'l Newton, 25 acres. Sally Smith, now living at the age of 74, was the first female born in town. The wife of Abijah North was the first woman, and Isaac Chipman the first man, who died in town, both in April, 1783.
When the meeting-house was raised, in 1800, all the people from the country around assembled to participate in the joyous occasion. After
the last timber had been laid, one Mark Marzenson went up to the top of the belfry, and, to the great amusement of the spectators, stood with his head downward on the cross timber. This was a great feat at that day, but greatly outdone some 4 rears after, when the cupola was finished, by one Randall Wells, an apprentice boy, who went up the lightning-rod and stood on the forks.
During the winter of 1814, more than 60 persons died of the spotted fever; in 1832, Dea. Philip Woolcot, of the cholera, aged 63.
About 1825, the Shoreham wharf was commenced at Watch Point.
Population, in 1791, was 721; in 1850, 1601.
The first school was taught by a lady, on Cream Hill, as early as 1785 or '86; present No. of districts, 12. 40 years since, the number of scholars was twice as large as at present. The first teacher said to have resided in town was one Sisson, an eccentric individual of excitable temperament, but a finished scholar in the higher mathematics, excelling particularly in navigation and surveying, who taught his scholars in so pleasing, comprehensive, and original a manner, they became, under his instruction, ready adepts in the sciences taught, and greatly attached to their teacher.
Newton Academy was incorporated in 1811, and named for Dan'l C. Newton; first principal, Benj. Nixon, in 1813, — present principal, E. J. Tompson, A. M., and Miss L. A. Hemenway, music teacher and preceptress.
The Shoreham Union Library Society was formed Dec. 31, 1821.
1792. A Congregational church of 15 members was formed on the half-way covenant. The present church was organized March, 1794. On the 26th, 15 persons were added; Rev. Ammi B. Rollins, pastor. Not long after, Paul Menona, a native preacher of the tribe of Sampson Oecani, was supported by voluntary contributions 3 or 4 years. He is described as having possessed superior Indian eloquence, which, outpoured in his sweetly melodious voice, frequently drew tears from his auditors. Like many of his race, he was sometimes beguiled by the intoxicating cup; but after such indulgence always manifested such contrition, his piety was never doubted. From here he went to the vicinity of Lake George, where he preached several years and closed his life. Previous to 1800, the church was occasionally supplied by Rev. M. H. Bushnell. Rev. Evans Beardsley was ordained first pastor, Dec. 26, 1805; dismissed, May, 1809. As a preacher, he was sound in faith, but dry and metaphysical. He died in New York. Rev. Samuel Cheever preached from 1809 to 1812. During his ministration, there was the most extensive and important revival that has ever occurred. in the annals of the church. At one communion, in 1810, 60 were added; at another, 46. He is said to have been bettor adapted to labor in revivals than for a permanent pastor. He died at Stillwater, N. Y., in 1814.
Rev. Dan'l Morton was ordained and installed June 30, 1814, and ministered unto the church over 17 years, during which 277 members were received. After his removal, Mr. Morton labored for the Vt. Missionary Society, about 1 year; was pastor in Springfield, Vt., 5 years; Winchendon, Mass., 5 years. He was a native of Winthrop, Me., born Dec. 21, 1788. Dr. Smith, of Fairfax, pays him this tribute: "No man ever had to inquire whether he was a minister; the countenance, the whole style of the man, showed that." He devoted much time to pastoral visits, and of the children and youth was particularly a friend.
In person, he was rather slim and above the common height, had dark hair and eyes, a countenance benign and kind, combining decision with urbanity.
His last message was, "Give my love to the church, to the Sabbath school, to the singing choir, and to the people. Peace be with them now and forevermore." He died at Bristol, N. H., where he had labored 10 years, May 25, 1852, aged 64.
Rev. Josiah Fletcher Goodhue* was installed Feb. 12, 1834, officiated till Sept. 13, 1857; 173 members added. He was born in Westminster, Vt.; graduated at Middlebury College, 1821; studied theology at Andover; preached at Arlington, Vt., 10 years; is now in Whitewater, Wis., without pastoral charge. After Mr. Goodhue, Rev. A. Flemming supplied the pulpit most of the time till May, 1859, when Rev. E. B. Chamberlyn commenced his labors here, and was installed Sept., 1859.
Total number of members, 674; present No. 128.
The first meeting-house was built in 1800; the present house of worship, in 1846, by James Lamb, Esq., does great credit to the architect, and is one of the best edifices of the kind in the State, with a bell of fine tone; cost, about $8,000.
1784. Eli and Stephen Smith came to this town, cleared three acres, put up a house, and moved on their families in 1785.
June 2, 1794, these leading Baptist men formed with other Baptists into a church of 15 members; Eli Smith, deacon, with Rev. Abel Woods, pastor, — ordained Feb. 26, 1795, — who continued with them till 1811, when he removed to Panton; from thence to Albany, N. Y., where he died. During his ministrations here, 170 members were added. 80 were added, in all, after Eld. Wood left. Till 1824, there was preaching most of the time; from then to 1837, only occasionally; at present, the church has lost its visibility.
* The writer of Shoreham history.
96 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
About 1788–'89, Eld. Samuel Skeels came to this town, preaching here and in neighboring towns. He was the first preacher in town, and his labors were acceptable to the people. The meetings were well attended, without distinction of name. He remained about 3 years.
Among the Baptist ministers who have preached in town, were several eminent for ability and usefulness. Eld. Eph. Sawyer, distinguished as a preacher, was very successful in his labors, from 1813 to '16. Truly a zealous man and devoted servant of his Master, he is still held in grateful remembrance.
Eld. H. Chamberlain, who preached here till the infirmities of age disabled him for the duties of his sacred office, and who died here, was an eminently meek and godly man, respected by all.
Eld. H. Green was a man of strong native powers of mind, energy of character, and commanding eloquence; a very efficient preacher. He went to Malone, N. Y., where he is supposed to have died many years since. Dea. E. Smith, the first deacon, was the most active and influential man of his denomination, in sustaining meetings before any church was formed, and afterwards looked up to with deference for counsel and example.
Dea. Ja. Barber, who came from Bridport in 1814, was a man of lovely Christian character, eminently gifted in prayer and exhortation, against whom no one ever had aught to say. He recently died in Geneva, Wis.
It appears, Elders Chamberlain, Shepherd, Wickton, and Mitchell, preached here at an early day, and Lorenzo Dow was here between 1805 and '10. About 1804 or '5, the church is supposed to have been organized. From 1807 to '20, the society was partially supplied with regular preaching, Revs. T. Spicer, S. Boynton, and S. Draper being presiding elders.
In 1832, the number of members, the largest at any time, was 40; whole number since organization, over 100. Probable number of Congregational, Baptist, and Methodist members, since their organizations, — total, over 1,000; present number, less than 200. For the last two years, the Methodists, decreased by many removals and deaths, have not been able to sustain regular preaching.
FURNISHED BY REV. K. HAVEN.
Probably a larger number of this sect settled in Shoreham than in any other town in the State. The sentiment of the final holiness and happiness of all mankind, on the broad trinitarian, substitution platform, they had imbibed, retained, and disseminated here. It appears quite a number of this faith had settled in town prior to 1800. Among the early prominent members were Lieut. Thomas Rich and family, settled in 1787; Hon. Chas. Rich, his sons and their families; Jonathan Williston, who held many important offices in town; Dr. John Williston; Eben and Amos Atwood; John Ormsbee; Benj. Haely; Dan'l Newton; Thomas Goodale; Noah Callender; Wm. P. Bailey; Benj. Bailey; Bealey Bailey; Benjamin Bissel; Jonas Leon. Marsh; John Ramsdell; Ashbel Catlin; Eben Hawes; John Beard; Eben Wright; Joel Doolittle; and Levi Jennison, father of Gov. Jennison, who was also to his death a truly valuable member of the society, and constant attendant on its meetings.
From 1795 to 1806, this society had occasionally the services of Elders Rich, Hilliard, and Farwell; and their meetings, held at Richville, were numerously attended. In 1806, the society was organized, Rev. Richard Carrigue, pastor, who preached to them till about '14. Meetings were held in schoolhouses till, 1810, through the influence of Judge Rich, an academy building was erected on the village common, and the upper story finished into a chapel, owned by 71 shares, the Universalists owning 51. Here they subsequently added free seats, a pulpit, and organ, and worshipped till 1852, when they had completed a commodious and handsome brick church, which they have since occupied. Rev. K. Haven, their resident clergyman, located here in 1828. During their existence of rising half a century, they have shared the reverses common to religious bodies. Death and emigration has thinned their ranks at times; but they have been generally filled up by their descendants, and they may consider their condition (numerically, fiscally, and socially) quite as eligible as the average condition of religious bodies in town.
The lake-shore soil, except on elevations of 2 or 300 feet, is a strong fertile clay. Commencing near the S. line, about a mile E. of the lake, the land rises above the clay formation, where an argillaceous slate appears, in a range of hills occasionally broken, extending more than half through the town. Beyond the first range, there is a depression into valleys, in which the clay soil and beds of small streams are found. To the E. line of the town, the hills run N. and S. Most of the higher portions consist of strong loam soil, as Cream Hill, named from its remarkable fertility, noted for beautiful sites for rich farms, and Barnum Hill, still more free from clay mixture.
About 3 miles E. of the lake, is a range of hills and bluffs, where the limestone crops out, the land rough and stony, only valuable for timber. Mutton Hill, in the north, is rocky and timbered. The Pinnacle, 2 miles E. of the centre of the town, is the highest elevation, rising probably 500 feet above the level of the lake. The view from its top, of Champlain, Ticonderoga, the N.
Y. and Vt. mountains, is very extensive, and almost unsurpassed in beauty.
In some of the valleys there is a fine alluvial soil, composed in great part of decayed vegetable matter. Near the centre of the town commences the great swamp, 700 acres, covered with a dense growth of fine black ash and cedar, parcelled out to the farmers in 7-acre lots. The original timber on the clay ground is pine and ash, maple, beech, black oak, basswood, &c.; on higher ground, elm, black ash, tamarack, &c. Lands adjacent the swamp yield from 2 to 4 tons of hay to the acre. Along Lemon Falls and Prickly Ash Brook, some of the meadows, without intermission, have yielded an almost undiminished crop for 60 years in succession. The streams in this town are Lemon Falls and Prickly Ash Brooks.
Iron ore taken from a bed in this town, is said to have been worked into good castings, but to have contained too much sulphur to be worked into good wrought iron. Limestone abounds, and on the lake shore black marble is found in inexhaustible quantities. Considerable quantities were quarried 30 years since.
Several springs or wells on Cream Hill are so impregnated with Epsom salts as to be unfit for family use.
This is a great sheep-growing town, and from an early period noted for superior horses. Messrs. R. S. Dana, E. D. Bush, Mr. Orwin L. Rowe, — one of the owners of the famous "Ethan Allen," — have large farms, stocked almost exclusively with horses, and furnish the market with many of the finest animals to be found in the country. Several other farmers keep from 10 to 20 on their farms. and attract purchasers from every State in the Union. The cattle compare well with the best towns in the State.
The beautiful village common, gradually rising from the E. and W. to a moderate elevation, on which the churches and academy stand, embracing 23 acres, was given and cleared at the expense of the proprietors.
whose character is chiefly interesting for the conspicuous part he acted in the settlement of this town, was born in Worcester, Mass. At the age of 12 he ran away from his parents, and spent more than 20 years on the ocean. Once the vessel in which he sailed had foundered, and all on board were in great peril, when Moore jumped overboard, and stopped the leak. He first came to Vermont with some of the soldiers of the French war. He had two brothers in the service. One, lieut. commander of a company near Lake George, who was killed in an engagement with the enemy After the war, he spent much time in hunting in the vicinity of the lake, probably as early as 1763 or '64. The fall and winter of '65 he spent in Shoreham, in a hut constructed of pine and hemlock boughs, without seeing a human being for 6 months, during which he caught 70 beavers. Several winters after, he spent in hunting for furs, in which he was so successful as to accumulate a small property. He heartily sympathized with the settlers in their contests with the Yorkers, and his humble home was often a refuge for Allen, Warner, Smith, and others. Here it was the two former fled on their escape from the 6 Yorkers at the house of Mrs. Richards, in Bridport. In their excursions he was prevented from taking an active part, by lameness, caused by having caught and broken his ankle in the saw-block of his mill, which having to ride to Vergennes or Crown Point to find a surgeon was set in such a manner he was a cripple ever after. The first winter after the general flight, he and Elijah Kellogg alone remained in Shoreham. Early next winter a few soldiers, probably a scouting party, turned in to spend the night with Moore, who was now keeping castle in his hut of logs alone. Soon they heard the fearful warwhoop, and the house was immediately surrounded by a large party of Indians. Moore and his party defended the premises till morning, when the exultant enemy broke down the door, and rushed in. One of their chiefs, whom Moore had known, sprang forward with brandished tomahawk; but the brave old settler bared his bosom, and dared his savage foe to strike, when another chief interfered to "save white man to burn."
The Indians had previously burnt his mill, and saddled and bridled his horse, ready for departure; but after setting fire to the house, a dispute arose about their plunder. One claimed the horse, another the saddle, and a third the bridle. Finally, one took his horse, and mounted, with a strip of bark for a bridle, another the saddle upon his own back, and the third the bridle in his hand, and started, which presented so ludicrous an appearance it made the old sailor laugh in spite of his misfortunes. At night they encamped at Crown Point, and guards were placed over the prisoners. Moore, who had feigned so much lameness that they had given him a ride upon his own horse most of the way, they did not take the precaution to bind. His weary guard fell asleep. Now was the time. Moore took his gun, blanket, and some Canada biscuit, and started for the lake in a different direction from which they came, through a thick grove of young saplings. Bringing into practice his sailor habits, he made his way for some distance, by swinging along from one sapling to another without touching the ground, until at length he reached the lake. There was snow upon the ground, but none upon the ice, and a log upon the shore reached out to the ice. He let himself down upon the log, put on his creepers, and jumped off on to the glare ice, leaving no tracks
98 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
behind. At length he came to one of those cracks made by the change of temperature between day and night. He made marks upon the ice with his creepers, and then took them off, and followed down the creek until he arrived opposite the mark; he made other marks as if he had crossed there, and putting on his creepers again, walked off a gunshot distance, and spread his blanket upon the ice, upon which he lay down, with his ready-loaded gun. The morning brought three Indians, who had started in pursuit as soon as he had been missed, up to the crack in the ice, who, seeing him on the opposite side, and the tracks where he had apparently passed over, one took the fatal leap, going down under the treacherous ice, to rise no more, whereupon Moore shot the other two, and proceeded along the lake shore as far as Bridport, where, too fatigued to proceed further, he concealed himself under a stack of straw, for the night. In the morning, finding a fall of snow had covered his track, he returned back to his former residence, dug up his dried beef from the snow, and fled to Brown's camp, in Sudbury.
The next spring he returned and built another loghouse, and about 1780 was again captured by a band of Tories and Indians, who threatened "his head would be a button for a halter, because he had killed the Indians who were sent after him the year before." He was taken to Quebec, and held prisoner about 16 months, where he sustained himself by learning to make baskets, of the squaws, and hiring them with his rations, to sell them for him, and buy such food as he could eat. After suffering much in behalf of himself and other prisoners, he wrote to the governor for new straw, and more blankets. The governor returning a harsh refusal, and reprimand for his impudence, Moore, nothing daunted, wrote in a tone still more bold and decided, — and the straw and blankets came. He also wrote an account of their condition to Governor Chittenden, which, with the application of their friends, induced the Governor to send a flag, with a letter to the commanding officer, requesting their release or exchange. The exchange was effected, and Moore and his fellow prisoners released. Many of Moore's letters, written at that time, were preserved for years, and are said to have been in excellent penmanship, and vigorous style. Others describe him as a close observer of men and things, of good practical education, and well read. It is said on his return from captivity, he revisited his former residence. Taking a view of the desolation around, he fixed his eye upon an object, which more carefully observed, proved to be a poor, lank colt, whose shaggy hair laid in every direction, and a little distance from the colt, what should he see but his old pet mare. He called her by her name, — she heard that old familiar voice, ran to her master, and laid her head on his shoulder, as if she would embrace him. This affected him even to tears. The old favorite beast he had supposed had perished, had not only supported herself by pawing through the snow for grass, but sustained the life of the strange-looking colt by her side. Moore's whole life was one marked with dangers and vicissitudes. At sea he made fortunes, and more than once lost all by shipwreck. On land, was in perils in the wilderness, among savage beasts, and more savage men, but survived them all. It is said there were among the papers which he left, several letters from a lady to whom he had been warmly attached for 30 years, and though more than once they were on the eve of marriage, yet on account of his frequent losses, the ceremony was deferred, and never consummated, and he lived a bachelor till past 50. He was once a large proprietor of lands, which if he had retained, would have made him wealthy. Some he early gave away as an inducement to settlement, and others, sold for a mere nominal sum. These sacrifices, with a long sickness before his death, left little for his family, consisting of a wife and 4 children. He died in 1810, aged 79.
brother of Paul, spent much of his time before the Revolution with his brother, hunting beaver. He was the first representative of the town, several years selectman, and justice of the peace, and maintained the character of peacemaker, being confided in as a man of superior discretion, and consistent Christianity, who took a deep interest in the settlement and prosperity of the town. At his death he bequeathed the Congregational Society $150.
born in Hebron, Conn., removed to Danby, Vt., before 1769; was first town clerk in 1769; town representative in 1778, '79, '80; and in '83, chairman of the committee of safety; lived some time in Rutland; was first judge of the special court for the county, and associated with Chittenden, Allen, and Warner, in vindicating the rights of the people against New York; participated largely in the deliberations of those who declared Vermont a free and independent State, and aided in forming its first constitution; while a member of the General Assembly, was appointed on the most important committees, and generally made chairman whenever a resolution was referred, with instructions to report a bill. He came to Shoreham as early as 1774, settled first at Larabee's Point, and with his son Thomas belonged to Allen's party. In 1795, he returned. to Denby, and remained till near the close of the war, when he returned to his farm on Larabee's Point, built two loghouses, and lived with his son Nathan, till 1790, when he removed to the place now owned by Lot Sanford. He was clerk of the proprietors till 1786; town clerk 2 years, and surveyor to set off the proprietors'
rights, and surveyor of the town several years after its organization. When arrived to that age when men generally cease to be active in public affairs, for several years he led a quiet life in this town, till, about 1800, worn out with age and infirmities, he went to reside with his son, Nathan, at a place called Cold Spring, in the town of Benson, where he died about 1803. His remains were interred in a small burying-ground, which once constituted a part of his own farm, and was given by him to his son, Thomas. There is a small stone erected to his memory, which records not the day of his birth or death, or his age when he died.
Rowley was chiefly distinguished in his time as a wit and poet. If Ethan Allen roused up every Green Mountain Boy, in his log cabin, and called him forth, armed to the teeth, in defence of his hearth and home, by the vehemence of his appeals, in homely prose, Rowley set the mountains on fire by the inspiration of his muse. These poems, once everywhere sung in the State, have mostly faded from the memory of men,* and specimens have been with difficulty collected enough to afford a fair representation of the wit and genius of "The Shoreham Bard." And it should be considered be was a man without the advantages of an early education, — without access to books, or time to devote to them; that he made most of his impromptu verses, throwing them out as they were framed in the laboratory of thought, before they were put upon paper; and that he never polished or corrected a line.
Now where's the man that dare attend,
And view creation over,
And then reply he doth deny
The great supreme Jehovah;
Who sits above, in light and love,
And views his glorious plan,
All on a scale that does not fail;
Yet never learned by man.
Ten thousand globes, in shining robes,
Revolve in their own sphere;
Nature's great wheel doth turn the reel,
And bring about the year.
'Tis but a jest to have a priest,
If you pay him for his labor,
And lie and cheat in every street,
And vilify your neighbor.
Never be willing to expose
The little failings of your foes;
But of all the good they ever did, —
Speak much of that, and leave the bad.
Attend to this, and strife will cease,
And all the world will live in peace.
On a certain occasion a man came to the storehouse at the old fort in "Ti." — a hunter from the lake shore, with one foot booted, and the other clothed with bearskin. As he entered the barroom in this ludicrous plight, one present wagered a gallon of rum that Rowley could make a verse applicable, if sent for. Rowley was summoned over, with the information that he was to make a verse on the first object he should see on entering the bar-room. He opened the door, momentarily surveyed the man, conspicuously arranged in front, with his foot over the back of a chair, — took off his hat, and while all kept silence, delivered his introductory.
A cloven foot without a boot;
A body full of evil;
If you'd look back upon his track,
You'd think it was the devil.
FROM THE ELEGY ON HIS WIFE.
FULL fifty years we've labored here,
In wedlock's silken bands;
No deadly strife disturbed our life,
Since Cupid joined our hands.
A faithful mate in every state, —
In affluence, as in need;
Freely to lend her helping hand,
With prudence and with speed.
FROM A BIRTHDAY POEM.
A SILVER gray o'erspreads my face;
The hoary head appears,
Which calls me loud to seek for grace,
With penitential tears.
A thousand dreams have filled my mind,
As days came rolling on;
As one that's deaf, and one that's blind,
I know not how they've gone.
Now the full age of man has come,
This is the very day;
But O my God, what have I done
To speed my time away?
With all his wit and waggery, Rowley was considered a man of sound judgment and ability. In stature, he was of medium height, and rather thick set; rapid in his movements; had light eyes, sprightly and piercing, indicating rapidity of perception, and sometimes the facetious poetic faculty; yet he was generally a sedate and thoughtful man, a firm believer in the Christian religion, and in sentiment a Wesleyan.
COL. JOSIAH POND,
one of the most influential among the early settlers, was born in Bradford, Conn., and came to Shoreham in 1783. He was of large, robust frame, 6 feet in stature, with features indicating a noble, generous disposition, and ability to command. He filled some of the most important town offices, and was the first militia captain, and
*Mr. Goodhue gives one poem, furnished from the recollection of Rev. Samuel Rowley, grandson of Thomas Rowley, now 75 years of age.
During a visit to Shoreham, we were privileged to look over a curious old pamphlet of 24 pp., entitled, '"THE SELECTIONS AND MISCELLANEOUS WORKS OF THOMAS ROWLEY; Printed for the Purchasers: Published, 1802."
100 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
first colonel of the first regiment of militia, in the county; was at the battle of Bennington, and served a few months after in the army of the Revolution; was an efficient deacon in the Congregational church; died in this town, Aug. 8, 1840, aged 83.
TIMOTHY FULLER CHIPMAN.
Gen. Chipman, son of Thos. and Bethia Chipman, born in Barnstable, Mass., Feb. 1, 1761; died in this town, May 17, 1830, aged 69.
Timothy, when a stripling of 16, took his father's place, who was drafted into the army in 1777, and served on the retreat of the American forces before Burgoyne's army, between Ticonderoga and Fort Schuyler, on the Hudson; was employed in felling trees into Wood Creek, to obstruct the passage of boats by water, and the army by land; being placed sentinel on an outer post at Fort Anne, was in the skirmish at Battle Hill, where a comrade was shot at his side; and having served the period of his enlistment, was honorably discharged a few days before the battle of Saratoga and surrender of Burgoyne, after which he returned home to aid his father in providing for the wants of a numerous household. In 1783, he came to Shoreham, with little else than the pack on his back. With Marshal Newton he was engaged to carry the chain in the original surveys of the townships of Shoreham and Bridport; in this survey, selected the lot on which he afterwards settled, built a plank house, and assiduously toiled until his decease. He was married to Polly, daughter of Capt. John Smith, May 24, 1786, and raised a family of 11 children. By persevering industry and economy he brought his lot in the wilderness under good cultivation, adding to his original purchase, until he had one of the most valuable farms in town, and commodious buildings, where for many years he kept a public house. He was honored by his fellow-citizens with several town offices; by the U. S. Government with an appointment as an assistant assessor of lands and dwellings in district No. 1, in the 4th division of Vermont. From the rank of a private he was promoted through various grades to the rank of major-general of the 4th division of Vermont militia. At the British invasion under Gen. Prevost, as he crossed the line on our northern frontier, Chipman volunteered for his country, took a musket from the arsenal at Vergennes, crossed Lake Champlain at Burlington into New York, (beyond the limits of his Vermont commission,) where he was chosen, at once, brigadier-general, under Maj. Gen. Sam'l Strong, and placed at the head of the Vermont volunteers, there assembled. The enemy commenced their retreat the day before he arrived at Plattsburgh.
In his declining years he resigned his public stations, and retired to private life; in 1810, during a religious revival, became a hopeful convert; with his wife and several of his children, united with the Congregational church, and sustained his Christian profession unblemlshed until the day of his death, which occurred at his homestead on his original purchase, in the 70th year of his age. His widow died March 5, 1849, aged 81.
born in New Milford, Conn., settled in Shoreham in 1786, and lived till 1795, in a loghouse. The esquire was an enterprising, industrious man; made potash for several years, from ashes saved in clearing his land and purchased of his neighbors. Immediately after coming into town, he was appointed justice of the peace, and while there was no minister in town, frequently performed the marriage ceremony, and, it is said, sometimes took ashes for pay. He was an early member of the Congregational church, and was fond of reading metaphysical and controversial works. He died in 1825, aged 84.
HON. CHARLES RICH,
son of Thomas Rich, born in Warwick, Mass., Sept. 13, 1771; arrived in this town, Aug. 1787, having travelled all the way from his native place, on foot. Here he labored diligently 4 or 5 years, assisting his father in erecting his mills, and clearing land, until he was married at the age of 20, to a daughter of Nicholas Watts, a young lady born in his native town, between whom had grown up an ardent attachment, from the days of their childhood. In a series of letters, while a member of Congress, to his daughter, then residing at Montreal, are many interesting facts in relation to this early attachment, his family history, the labors and privations of himself and companion, with whom he lived until her death, April 24, 1817, in the reciprocation of the most tender affection and confidence. In these letters there is an unreserved expression of thought and feeling, for it is the wife and mother of whom he writes, whose death both the father and daughter deeply deplored.
April 16, 1791. They commenced housekeeping, "possessed of no other property than 1 cow, 1 pair of 2 year old steers, 6 sheep, 1 bed, and a few articles of household furniture, which, altogether, were valued at $66, and about 45 acres of land, given by his father." The first year he tended gristmill for his uncle, Nathan Rich, and cleared and sowed with wheat 6½ acres of land. He says: "White at the mill I constructed a number of articles of furniture, which have been in daily use from that time to the present." It is said, while engaged in his sugar-works, he constructed a water-pail, with his jackknife, which was used for many years in the family. While a boy he had had little advantages in schooling, and after the age of 15 attended school only 3 months. But limited as his opportunities were, he was often called upon before the age of 30, to deliver Fourth of July orations;
was chosen town representative when but 29, which office he held twelve times; was one of the judges of the county 6 years; representative in Congress 10 years. A ready debater in all public bodies, he was useful and popular in every station which he occupied.
He had that strong desire to master whatever he undertook to investigate, which is indispensable to eminence in any station; and in early life, formed, and kept up to its close, the habit of writing down his thoughts; cultivated his taste by reading works of an easy and pure style; and though there were not found in him any uncommon powers, or overpowering eloquence, there was a happy union of those qualities which form the man of usefulness and intelligence, — a well-balanced mind, retentive memory, honesty of intention, intuitive knowledge of human nature, open and bland personal appearance, and a native benevolence of heart, — in all the social and domestic relations of life an example worthy of imitation. By such qualities as these, he held for so long a time a distinguished station among his fellow-citizens.
By industry and economy he acquired a handsome property, and during the vacations of the sittings of Congress, was found at home, overseeing his business, and laboring diligently, until the autumn of 1824. At this time in consequence of working in the water for several days, he took a violent cold, which, followed by a fever, put a speedy end to his life, Oct. 15, in the 53d year of his age.
Deacon Cooper, born in East Hampton, L. I., June 22, 1746; came to Shoreham with his family, the autumn of 1789, and is especially deserving an honorable mention, as being the individual who first introduced into this town the ordinances of religion, and to whose indefatigable labors the people were indebted, as though he had been pastor, for his visits to the sick, and attendance of their funerals, during the 13 years that he led the Congregational Church as first deacon, and moderator. Living an exemplary life, he entered into rest, Jan. 29, 1827.
Dea. Cooper found worthy co-laborers in Dea. Eli Smith, of the Baptist, and Dea. Hand, of his own society. Faithfully they served their day and generation, and are held in grateful remembrance.
SILAS HEMENWAY JENNISON.
Hon. Silas H. Jennison, son of Levi and Ruth Hemenway Jennison, was born in Shoreham, May 17, 1791. When about a year old his father died, and left him, an only son, to the mother's care. This widowed mother, who is now living, at the advanced ago of 89, was a woman of uncommon energy and industry.
While very young, he developed a decided taste for reading and study; but soon as he became able to labor, his services were needed at home, and after that, only a few weeks in a year did he enjoy the benefits of school instruction. The companionship of other boys had few attractions; he spent his time at home, and rarely came into the house to sit down, without taking a book. While a youth he was more interested in his reading than husbandry, though in after life he took much satisfaction in the study of agriculture as a science, and in making improvements in its various branches.
During those seasons of the year in which he had most leisure he devoted his evenings to study, and recited to Mr. Sisson, a near neighbor, of whom he doubtless learned to write that round and beautiful hand, and became expert in arithmetic and surveying. The habit of study he kept up through life, and had a mind well stored with general information. In person he was tall, stoutly built, with a large, well-formed head, manners unaffected and pleasing, easy in conversation; but through distrust of his own powers, or extreme caution, he never engaged in public debate. If he possessed little of the brilliancy of genius, he had what is no less valuable, — great prudence, a correct, though not highly cultivated taste, and, what contributed perhaps most to his advancement in public life, facility and accuracy in the transaction of business, and general knowledge of matters pertaining to civil government, and its administration.
He was town representative from 1829 to 1835; associate justice of the county 6 years; member of the State council 3 years; lieut. governor 2 years, the last of which, no choice of chief magistrate being made, he acted as governor, and in 1836 was elected governor by the popular vote, which office he filled for 6 years. The issuing of his proclamation, at the time that the sympathies of many were enlisted in favor of the insurgents in Canada in 1836, warning the citizens against violating the neutrality laws, was censured by some, and contributed for a time to diminish his popularity; but when the subject came to be better understood, the course he took was approved by the people, and the firmness and good judgment which he displayed at that critical time, rendered him one of the most popular governors the State has ever had. In 1840, in the most exciting canvass ever witnessed in Vermont, Gov. Jennison's majority over the administration candidate was 10,798. In that year he declined a re-election, but for 6 years after was judge of probate, the duties of which office he discharged to general acceptance.
After protracted sickness and suffering, he closed his life in his native town in Sept. 1849.
born in Newport, N. H. 1776; came with his father, Elias Bascom, to Orwell, and from thence to Shoreham, in 1802, and settled on the farm now owned by his son, Ira Bascom. In person,
102 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
Judge Bascom was of a large but not corpulent frame, erect and tall. His countenance, a true index to his mind, wore an expression of benignity, self-possession, and sound judgment. These reliable qualities won him favor with his fellow-citizens. He was representative of the town 9 times; judge of the county court 2 years, and frequently administrator to the estates of the deceased.
The Judge was first married to Charlotte Howley, Dec. 30, 1802, and second, to Laura Bush, Oct. 28, 1806. He was a member and supporter of the Universalist society. A man with limited means, still liberal, who was not known to have an enemy, and died in this town, Aug. 1, 1850, aged 74.
EXTRACT FROM AN ADDRESS,
DELIVERED AT THE ANNUAL FAIR OF THE A. CO. AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY, OCT. 1, 1844, BY SILAS H. JENNISON, PRESIDENT OF THE SOCIETY.
. . . I would provoke the minds of the whole brotherhood of farmers into activity, and a desire for a deeper and more thorough knowledge of this most ancient and honorable of all arts and employments. . . . I would fan the ardor for investigation and inquiry for truth in opposition to idle theorizing. . . . The philosophy of agriculture I would see extended and adopted among us. It is not above the capacity of the most unlearned, or beyond the reach of those in the most limited circumstances. . . . In no occupation within the range of human employments, does success depend more on the judgment and direction of the operative. . . . In view of these facts, in all candor and soberness, I ask the question, — is the importance of a thorough, scientific, and practical knowledge of the business of the farmer duly appreciated? . . . Hitherto, improvement has been mainly the result of accident. The prejudices handed down from our fathers were to be overcome. And there are those, even in this day, who regard the moon's age, and other equally fallacious notions, as of more importance to many farming operations, than the proper condition of the soil. But, thanks to the learned, this state of things is fast passing away. . . All intelligent and thinking men now look to science for aid to this immense and all-important branch of human labor. And although the feeling does not pervade the whole mass, yet the results are most gratifying.
. . . A majority of the farmers eagerly engaged in increasing their flocks of sheep. The result has been that Addison county had, in 1840, in proportion either to territory or population, a greater number of sheep, and produced more wool, than any other county in the United States. . . .
While the growing of wheat, which required much labor, continued to be the principal business, the population increased rapidly. . . . The war, the cold season of 1816, and the marvellous tales of the fertile West, had some influence; but to the change in business of the farmers we must look for the principal cause of reducing the increase from 1810 to '20, to less than 2 per cent. . . . To those who feel an interest in the prosperity of our county, this fact affords reasonable cause for alarm.
If such a thing were cause for boasting, Addison County might feel a just pride in the many enterprising, moral, and talented men she has sent abroad to the other States, to exercise healthful influence on the future destinies of our common country. But in this matter, what is a gain to other communities is a positive loss to us. We have not only lost of the young and vigorous physical power of our people, but they have taken with them much of the wealth amassed by their fathers. . . . Our relative political power and influence is silently departing from us. And unless new industrial pursuits are opened to the young and ambitious, new branches of business established and sustained among us, I see no reason to expect a diminution of this drain of the life-blood of our county. . . . .
ASA STOWELL JONES,
born in Shoreham, in 1828; graduated at Middlebury College, 1849; 15 months principal of Newton Academy; edited the Whitehall Chronicle one year; in 1853, established himself as a lawyer in St. Louis, Mo., where he has since taken an active part in politics. We give a brief extract from a letter to his mother as a specimen of his off-hand letter-writing:—
"I heard of the death of sister Emma, in the midst of an exciting political campaign. That news transported me, all absorbed in the heated excitements of a political election in a great city, as I was, to the quiet town, the green common, and the silent yard, where now lies, in peaceful slumber, my sister Emma.
"My mother, Emma is one of the jewels of memory, and I sometimes think that it is better, happier, more to be desired, to die and leave this world ere soil or taint has come upon the heart; before hopeful youth learns by bitter experiences that life, as we meet in daily contact with humanity, is hollow, treacherous, and deceitful.
"I could but mark the change in myself, from the time when engaged in schoolboy sports in that same town, on that same common, until every nook and corner, every stone, had imaged itself ineffaceably upon memory. Then how little did I imagine what was before me in the future, or under what circumstances the problem of my life's destiny should be wrought."
Sung at the Dedication of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Middlebury, Vt. By BYRON SUNDERLEN, D. D., a native of Shoreham, now resident of the District of Columbia.
Lo! from the majesty above,
How purely shines the light of love,
To guide bewildered souls.
And hark! for seraphs sweetly sing
Celestial anthems to their King,
While long the echo rolls.
Yet hark! the tall Archangel's voice
Bide us repent, believe, rejoice,
And join the heavenly choir.
Blest spirit! let thy trumpet's peal
Rouse from their sleep our hearts of steel,
And kindle up their fire.
Great God! we consecrate to thee
All that we are or hope to be;
This earthly temple, too.
Grant that thy radiance, so divine,
To light thine altar here may shine,
As pure as angels' view.
While time shall fly, while storms may come,
Its spire, an index of our home,
Shall point to purer skies;
Where, from the dark polluted earth,
Lost man shall find a nobler birth,
Where endless raptures rise.
Great God! and when these walls decay,
When time hath swept their strength away,
Their crumbling work shall be,
To echo back the sweetest song;
To hold that echo, loud and long,
And send it up to thee.
Then swell the note! best note of praise
That our weak voices e'er shall raise,
Till o'er life's troubled sea;
Then, with the spirits round the throne
Of the Eternal, Three in One,
We'll shout the jubilee!