VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
BY HON GEORGE C. CAHOON.
At town meeting, March 12, 1792, Elder Philemon Hines was chosen moderator; Daniel Cahoon, town clerk; Daniel Cahoon, Philemon Hines and James Spooner, selectmen and listers; Nathan Hines, constable; and Nehemiah Tucker, treasurer. "Voted, that the selectmen be paid four shillings per day for services actually performed for the town."
"Voted, that a tax of six pounds be assessed for exigence expenses of the town. At freemen's meeting, 1792, Daniel Cahoon, Jr., was elected the first representative of the town.
Prior to 1792 all taxes and assessments for highways and other purposes were by common consent and voluntary subscription, and enforced by selfwill and patriotic purpose. The first grand list was made this year, composed of 30 persons, and the total of each item and the amount of the whole was as follows: polls 28; 26 acres of land, 22 oxen, 22 cows, 6 3 years old cattle, 7 2 years old cattle, 2 yearlings and 11 horses — amount £359, equal to $1,196.66. Of those who composed that list, William Fisher, the last survivor, died in town, June 30, 1861, aged 96 years 8 months. The family name of only six of the number remains in town; Cahoon; Easterbrook (there were in the list two of this name — Benjamin and Caleb), three Fishers, Jeremiah, William and James; and two McGaffeys, John and Andrew; Jonas Sprague, and Zebina Wilder.
1793, at March meeting, Daniel Cahoon was reelected town clerk, and Daniel Cahoon, Daniel Reniff and Nehemiah Tucker were elected selectmen and listers; and Andrew McGaffey, constable. In the early period of the settlement milling and marketing had to be done at Barnet, over 20 miles, and at Newbury, about 35 miles distant, on almost impassible roads, as best they could; Col. Wallace of Newbury, was the wholesale commissariat of Northern Vermont; at a later period they obtained ample supplies at Barnet, and still later at St. Johnsbury. Their luxuries, though few, were with a keen relish enjoyed with each other. In a brief period the patron of the enterprise, Daniel Cahoon, Jr., nurtured under milder skies and kindlier influences, not having a constitution of sufficient power and vigor to keep up with his mental and bodily exertions, became prostrate with that insidious and flattering but fatal disease, the consumption, long ere the meridian of life; but to the last he sought the faithful performance of all trusts, and the best good of the infant plantation. He had rendered himself useful in other settlements, as St. Johnsbury, Billymead, now Sutton, and Barton, presiding at Barton at its organization. To the great sorrow of his friends and neighbors, it remained for him to fill up with his death the notable coincidences of his relationship to the history of Lyndon, that he was its first settler, first town clerk of the first board of selectmen and listers, the first justice of the peace, the first representative, and holding all these offices at the time of his death, finally to he the first person who died in town, which occurred June 11th, 1793, aged 26 years 4 months. His son, Benjamin P. Cahoon, then nearly 2 years of age, was the second male child born in town, Lyndon Hines being the first, and Lydia Wilder being the first female born in town. B. P. Cahoon removed from Lyndon in 1817, and in the year 1861, died at Kenosha, Wisconsin, a noted gardener. It remained for a younger brother, William Cahoon, then 19 years of age, who had come to the rescue, to take the helm of affairs and go ahead, which he did, from that time forth, successfully to the close of his life, May 30th, 1833. During that period he had the pleasure of seeing the town become thickly populated, and supplied with all
342 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
needful advantages for home comfort and for common school and academic education and religious worship, with a competency of property, himself having sustained meekly all the offices of honor, profit and trust in town, county, and state, which he could desire, and the last four years of his life represented the state in the congress of the United States.
In May, 1793, Daniel Cahoon, Sen., one of the locating committee and a charter grantee of the township, moved his family into town, occupying a portion of the log house erected by his son in 1788, which had been essentially enlarged and otherwise improved for comfort. He was the only one of the original proprietors who settled in town. His transition from the wharves and storehouses of the importing merchant, and the councils of the city, and the counting room of the forge and furnace, in which he had spent the vigor of his manhood, to this backwoods settlement, was very great; but such as the devastations of the war of the Revolution occasioned to him as to many others. He did not possess physical strength sufficient to endure the rugged labor of the farmer, but he had the mental ability and ready tact to render himself very useful in the management of the financial and prudential affairs of the community, and on the death of his son Daniel, he was immediately chosen to fill the town offices thus made vacant, and performing their duties acceptably, he was reelected thereto many years; having been town representative 8 years, selectman 11, and town clerk 15 in succession, to which offices his son William succeeded on his retirement, and held the latter office 21 years in succession, resigning it in 1829, on being elected to congress. In 1808, when Daniel Cahoon retired from the office, he received high commendation from a special committee appointed to report in the premises, and a vote of thanks from the town for the faithful and satisfactory manner in which he had performed the duties of the various town offices which he had held, and particularly of town clerk, which is of record. He died September 13th, 1811, aged 74 years, being gored by a bull not known to be vicious, when passing through a barnyard, and not on his guard. The concourse at his funeral was much the largest that had then ever assembled in the town on such an occasion, numbering eight or nine hundred, and many from other towns.
In 1793, 43 were listed, one deceased being omitted, showing an increase during the year of 14, some of whom were young men arriving at manhood, others were from immigration; in which latter class we find Daniel Cahoon, Sen., Widow Cynthia Jenks, and her two sons, Nehemiah and Brown Jenks, Calvin and Jesse Doolittle, John and Roswell Johnson, Joel Fletcher, Ephraim Hubbard, Job Olney, Samuel Winslow, and others, active, useful citizens. The amount of the list was £479 personal property, 34 oxen, 35 cows, cattle 2 years old 6, cattle of 1 year 10, and 8 horses, showing an increase of 32 neat cattle. John Johnson was the first merchant in town. In 1794, 50 were listed. Its amount was £583, the increase in neat cattle was 8, of horses 6. Joel Ross, Simeon Smith, Peter Tibbets, Benjamin Bucklin, Jonathan Parks, Jonathan Robinson and others, moved into town. Mr. Robinson at an early day moved into Barton. During the current year from June, '93 to June, '94, the settlers though well prospered in their agricultural pursuits were sorely afflicted by the sickness and sudden death of several of their members; first, of Daniel Cahoon, Jr., as already noticed, in June '93, and, in the same month, of a son aged 12 years of Samuel Winslow, by a falling tree; in May '94, of a daughter of Daniel cankerrash, aged 12 years; on the 4th June, '94, of Philemon Hines, a Baptist elder of estimable character, by suicide — verdict of jury of inquest, cause insanity — and 12th August, of Widow Cynthia Jenks, of lockjaw. Mrs. Jenks commenced the first settlement of the Corner village, occupying the grounds where the Fletcher buildings stand, now owned by E. A. Cahoon. After her death her log house became noted as the temporary residence of many a new settler entering town, and as the first schoolhouse, being first occupied as such by Abel Carpenter, Esq., and afterwards by Dr. Abner Jones, who then was or subsequently became a Baptist preacher. This year was also notable for the one in which they began to marry in the settlement, and the first transpiring was that of Jeremiah Washburn and Hannah Orcutt, June 16th. Mr. Washburn previously living in Lyndon, and the ceremony having been performed by Daniel Cahoon, Esq., it has been reputed to have been the first that occurred in town, but the bride's father resided in Billymead (now Sutton) and the wedding was at her home, and the first marriage in Lyndon was of Roswell Johnson and Naomi Bartlett by the same magistrate, Oct. 5, 1794.
1705, at a freemen's meeting in February,
to elect member to congress, Wm. Cahoon and three others were admitted freemen, Daniel Buck had 14 votes, and Nathaniel Niles 4. At March meeting, Daniel Cahoon, Jesse Doolittle and Nehemiah Tucker were elected selectmen and listers. The number of lists were 65, and the amount of the list £732, or $2440, an increase of nearly $500, arising from immigration, internal improvements, and increase of cattle and horses, of the former 36 and the latter 10. Joel and Wait Bemiss, John and Josiah Brown, Caleb Parker, Wm. Ruggles and Ziba Tute, all good citizens, moved into town this year, and others also. Some of the notable occurrences of the year, were the building of the first framed house by Nathaniel Jenks, Esq., a scientific and practical surveyor who about this time moved into town, and a Mr. Arnold put up some imperfect mills on the site now occupied by Mr. Kimball's planing mill, on the branch near the Corner, with a view to acquire the mill right, but the town not accepting them, voted said mill right to William Cahoon, if he would build thereon suitable mills, which he did to acceptance. Mr. Ziba Tute, who some years after removed to Windsor, was a man stout and athletic, and of noble daring, as is shown by an occurrence at the burning of the Tontine building at Windsor. The building had many occupants, merchants and others; when the fire was raging and no hopes of saving the building, it was told that in one of the rooms, in an upper story there was a quantity of powder stored, which if not removed would soon explode and imperil the lives of many, and spread the fire. The avenues to the powder were all closed except by a long ladder — Mr. Tute had no personal interest in the matter, but seeing others unwilling to run the risk, dashed forward and promptly ascended the ladder, opened the window and entered the almost suffocating room, seized the powder cask with its hoops on fire, clutched it under his arm, and descended the ladder with it but little singed, extinguished its burning hoops, and put it in a safe depository, much to his own comfort, and the great joy of all others.
In 1796 Wm. W. McGaffey was elected selectman and lister in lieu of Mr. Doolittle. The lists were 73, neat cattle, 209, an increase of 74; amount of list, £1054.15 or $3515.83; and Abel Carpenter, Esq., Capt. Elias Bemiss, S. Smith Matthewson, Gains Peck, Ely Dickerman, Joseph Harris, Peleg Hix and others came to reside in town. Esquire Carpenter, as he was familiarly called, or captain in reference to his military proclivities, was a lieutenant and commissary in the Rhode Island line in the army of the Revolution, carrying in his person, as an evidence of his valor, one of the enemy's bullets received in battle, for which he received immediately an invalid pension of small amount, and afterwards a more munificent pension under the general pension laws, commensurate with his official position in the army; which were in this case meritoriously bestowed, as he was a brave man and good officer. He used facetiously to call his invalid pension his short staff and his Revolutionary pension his long staff, saying that Uncle Sam made better provision for him when old than when he was young; he was thankful for what he could get. It so occurred that he did not, when living, receive the pension that he should as commissary. By a new construction of the law his children obtained it after his decease. At the time he moved into Lyndon he possessed a good practical business education, acquired in part by his official services in the army, and having an aptitude to turn the same to account, and also to impart it to others, he soon became the first school master in town, and a principal officer to manage the town affairs for some 20 years, in various capacities. Capt. Bemiss was also a prominent man, as also his sons, two of whom, Elias and Welcome, were state senators. A military company was organized this year of about 50 persons, and soon increased to 76.
In 1797, Daniel Cahoon, Nathaniel Jenks and Abel Carpenter were elected selectmen and listers. They were also the principal trial justices for several years; and integrity of purpose seems to have characterized the courts of that day, for an early lawyer is reported to have said of the first, that if he had a bad cause, he would be the last man in the world he would have try it, but if he had a good one, the very first. The same might have been said of the others. Mr. Cahoon was the favorite justice in the court of matrimony, usually receiving his fees, if paid at all, in the currency of the times — "change of works" with the swain in his peculiar vocation or calling, the contrast sometimes rendering it amusing. There were 75 lists, amounting to $4374.50, exceeding the list of last year $858.67. Neat cattle, 229, and 31 horses. Timothy Ide, two families of Houghtons, two of Evans and two of Norris, Caleb Porter and three or four other families moved into town. In 1798, the same were elected selectmen and
344 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
listers. There were 85 lists, 264 neat cattle and 43 horses — increase of neat cattle, 35; of horses, 12. Total lists, $5126; increase of the year, $751.50. The town this year had quite an ingress of valuable citizens, of whom were Leonard and Henry Watson, Eben Peck 1st, Levi Lockling, Jacob Houghton, Elijah Ross, Zerah Evans, Jude Kimball, John Woodman, Nathan Parker, Benjamin Walker, and Nathan Hubbard. Mr. Woodman was father of the Rev. Jonathan Woodman, a popular Freewill Baptist preacher.
In 1799, selectmen and listers same as the three years preceding. The lists were 100; neat cattle, 836, and horses, 63 — increase of neat cattle, 72; of horses, 32. Total list, $6669.25; increase, $1543.25. A number of good citizens moved into town this year, of whom were Isaiah Fisk, the father of the Rev. Dr. Wilbur Fisk, late president of the Wesleyan University at Middletown, Conn., who, at that time being six or seven years old, came with the family, and remained here until he commenced his academic education, some ten or more years afterwards; also the Hoffmans, the Sheldons, the Winsors, Bacons; Dr. Abner Jones, who was also a preacher; Eleazer Peck and Josiah Gates, whose daughters, Elizabeth, Lucy and Sally, became the good wives of Elijah Ross, Eliphas Graves and David McGaffey; Mrs. Lucy Graves marrying Capt. Elias Bemiss for her second husband and his second wife. Mr. Job Sheldon, though he resided in town but a short time, left behind him the lasting remembrance of the generosity of the sailor, by his donation to the town of ten acres of valuable land, near its centre, for a public cemetery and common.
In 1800, Daniel Cahoon, William Winsor and Isaiah Fisk were elected selectmen and listers. There were 110 lists, 347 neat cattle, and 77 horses — increase, 11 cattle and 14 horses. Amount of list, $7186.50 — increase, $517.25. The town received a good recruit of new settlers this year, of whom were the Blys, Browns, Wilmarths, Alphs. Fletcher, Field; John Gates the miller; Haskell the clothier, the Scotts, Ripley, and others. There is incorporated into the town records of this year the formation of a religious society for the purpose of settling a minister, and a vote of the town of 100 acres of the minister's settlement right to any acceptable preacher who would settle in town, and of said society's tendering such settlement to Elder Stephen Place, understood to have been a Baptist, who did not accept the offer.
To 1801, Daniel Cahoon, Nathaniel Jenks and Isaiah Fisk were selectmen and listers. The number of lists were 133; there being 439 neat cattle, and 103 horses and colts — whole amount, $8608. Of those who moved into town this year, were James Ayer, Joel Bemiss, Abel Brown, Oliver Chaffee, Ira Evans, Wm. Houghton the tanner, Samuel Park, Job Randall, Abraham Smith, James Shearman and Aaron Walker. Mr. Randall and Mr. Smith have both represented the town and held various offices. Mr. Randall still lives, in a vigorous old age, much respected, and is probably now the oldest person living in town. Mr. Shearman obtained a celebrity for good horses.
In 1802, ten years from taking the first grand list, Daniel Cahoon, Wm. Winsor and Isaiah Fisk were the selectmen, and William Cahoon, Abraham Smith and Nehemiah Jenks, listers. The lists were 147; neat cattle, 450; horses, 75; and sheep, 420; amounting, inclusive of the valuation of improved real estate — as is to be considered in all the lists — to $9118.75; thus giving the progress of events in town for the first decenary after its organization, its gradual increase and means, and the basis of its taxation. At this period, the settlement had got under good headway, and, owing to the uniform goodness of the soil, and the charter provision that settlements should be made on each right, to prevent forfeiture, "as soon as safety would allow after the war," 50 acres being accorded by common consent to such settler; and being thus obtained scot free, the settlements became very general and nearly simultaneous on each right; roads were opened to every section of the town, encouraging others to follow, which they did rapidly; so that soon the town became populous. Like gregarious animals, the early settlers were a little clannish — grouping together in clusters coming from the same locality, state, or territory, so far as circumstances would allow, which phase is not entirely obliterated; but many of the old landmarks are removed by time, and a denser population succeeding, with the amalgamation of the second and third generations by marriage, it is less noticeable.
It may well be believed that the old folks were a merry set of jokers by the nicknames they gave the different localities in town in its early settlement, as Pudding Hill, Squabble Hollow, Mount Hunger, Hard Scrabble, Hog Street, Shanticut, Musquito District, the Whale's Back, Owlsboro', Egypt, and Pleasant Street, from being the residence
of some fair ladies; and most of these names are yet familiarly known, but not confessed to be truthfully descriptive of the present condition of those localities. A good degree of shrewdness characterized the inhabitants, and being frugal and industrious, they made themselves comfortable with what they had and could acquire, and happy in the anticipation of possessing a competency for ordinary gratification, and obtaining an additional store for the evening of life, and if they have not succeeded to their utmost wishes, it should not be attributed to want of calculation and forethought, so much as to unforeseen events.
About this time the town canvassed the matter of putting up a building to answer the double purpose of a town hall and meeting house, and fixed its location at the Centre; but deferred the enterprise. It was finally erected in 1809, but the expense exceeding the estimate after an expenditure by the town in its corporate character of over $1000, it was left unfinished, and occupied with temporary seats and desks for several years, being finally completed by the sale of pews, to be occupied by the different denominations in proportion to ownership, reserving to the town its use for town meetings. But other appropriate churches, needful for worship having been built, the old house by common consent, was yielded up to the town, and the same has recently been remodeled and renovated exclusively for a town hall.
In 1812, by the concurrent votes of the town, and a religious society associated for the purpose, Elder Phinehas Peck, a Methodist minister who had preached in town some years before, was permanently settled as the first minister of the town, and in consideration thereof the selectmen, by vote of the town, conveyed to him a lot of land, being a third of the right reserved for minister's settlement. Mr. Peck continued to officiate as such until about 1819, acceptably and with good success; when his health failing, he ceased from his labors here, and his charge in 1820 was supplied, in the person of the Rev. Daniel Fillmore, a very talented man and able preacher of the Methodist itinerant ministry, and has ever since been cared for in the same manner, the last 2 years by the Rev. Lewis Hill, and the present by the Rev. P. M. Granger. The Methodists built a new chapel in the Corner village in 1840, with a small basement vestry, and in 1855 or 6, the house was renovated, the vestry enlarged to the size of the house, with an ante-room and stair-way from the basement, and the whole new painted and papered. Since that period the Congregational Meeting House, which was built in 1826-7, at the Corner, has been new modeled and thoroughly fitted up inside and out. In 1848 the Freewill Baptists, built a neat church at the Centre. The Universalists built another of the same dimensions soon after. The last is noticeable for its singular vane — an angel in the act of blowing his trumpet. The academy was built in 1831, and was incorporated that year by the name of "Caledonia County Grammar School at Lyndon," and subsequently endowed by an act of the General Assembly of the state with a portion of the Grammar School lands lying in the county of Caledonia reserved by the charters of the towns for the use of county grammar schools within, and throughout the state, and to be under the control of said General Assembly for ever, "subject to the opinion of the Supreme Court as to the validity of said act against an net establishing a County Grammar School at Peacham," which decision was that said lands were irrevocably granted to the Peacham corporation, and that the corporation of the Lyndon School could take nothing by their grant, which decision, in view of the charter reservations, and the evident intent of the legislature making those reservations, and the spirit of the government itself to confer equal privileges on all, was never relished as good law by the Lyndonenses, compelling them individually to raise funds which they believed should emanate from another source. Henry Chase, Esq., a graduate of Yale College, and his sister, Miss Ada Chase, a lady highly educated, and a graduate of Mount Holyoke Seminary, are present principals and worthy of good patronage. The churches and academy have each a cupola, and all have good bells, excepting the Universalist. The religious community who keep up public worship are divided into four congregations, two at the Corner, the Methodist and Congregationalists, and two at the Centre, the Freewill Baptists and the Universalists. Each is well attended. The Methodists when they held their meetings for worship at the Centre were much the most numerous, and are probably so now, but many of their members were discommoded by the erection of the new chapel at the Corner, one and a half miles further from them, and have since attended other meetings at the Centre, generally the Freewill Baptist, whereby their numbers were considerably increased, the congregation formerly worshiping at the
346 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
north part of the town gathered by Elder Quimby having also united with it. Its desk has been supplied by very worthy preachers, Elders Quimby, Moulton, Woodman, Jackson, Smith, and the present incumbent, the Rev. M. C. Henderson. The Congregationalists have usually been supplied by able preachers, the Revs. Messrs. Tenny, Scales, Thayer, Greenleaf and Hale, are of the number. And the Universalists by their best, the Rev. Messrs. Tabor, Scott and others. There are some Calvinistic Baptists in town, and others who would prefer the Episcopal church service, but neither sufficiently numerous to maintain the public worship of the order. The writer does not possess the present statistical numbers of any of the denominations, having expected that they would be furnished from another source.
In 1802, '03, '04, '05, the Graves, Mathewsons, Roots and Williams, and other farmers; and the brothers Nathaniel and Samuel B. Goodhue, lawyers; and Doctors Hubbard Field and Olney Fuller; and the Cushings, house joiners, cabinet and chair makers, settled in the town; and from that period to 1810, Charles F. H. Goodhue, Bela Shaw, Jr., Asa S. and Alanson and George B. Shaw, brothers; and Benjamin F. and Reuben H. Deming, his brother; at a later period all the last engaged in merchandise in stores of Chandler, Bigelow & Co. at Lyndon and elsewhere, and of Daniel Chamberlin & Co. and Chamberlin & Deming. Alpheus Houghton and his brother Elijah, farmers, with their families, and the Emerys and Bundys, also farmers; Major Elias Clark, Jr., saddler; Samuel Hoyt, 1st, farmer, soon after his brother Dr. Moses Hoyt; Dr. Meigs, John M. Foster, attorney; Ephraim Chamberlin, Esq., innkeeper, and afterwards mill owner; James Knapp, mill wright; Josiah Rawson, and afterwards his brother Dr. Simeon Rawson. In 1811, Isaac Fletcher, an educated man and well read lawyer, came in town, and soon after William and Joseph and their father Ichabod Ide; Daniel Bowker, cabinet maker, now the oldest resident at the Corner; Warren Parker, clothier; Jonathan and Nehemiah Weeks, tanners and shoemakers; Richard and Nathan Stone, saddlers; Abel Edgell, Bela Shaw, Senr., and Charles Stone, farmers; Richard and Charles Stone, brothers, were both after wards deacons; and not far from the same time, Josiah C. and Samuel A. Willard, brothers, who came into the country at an early day with their mother and grandfather, Daniel Cahoon, Sen., but resided part of the time in Sutton and Burke and elsewhere, became permanently settled in Lyndon. Mr. B. F. Deming went, to Danville to fill official positions of which we shall speak elsewhere. Mr. R. H. Deming after quitting trade became a Methodist preacher, and removed to Wisconsin, and has officiated as county and city clerk at Kenosha; Mr. Bela Shaw, Jr., removed west, and at Rockford, Illinois, held the office of judge of probate several years. About the year 1816, '17, quite a colony of good citizens came to Lyndon as settlers, from Sandwich, N. H., and its vicinity, headed by three brothers, Major Aaron and Elders Joseph and Daniel Quimby, with their large families. They were of the Freewill Baptist denomination of Christians, the major devoting himself to farming, and the elders dividing their time between secular and ecclesiastic pursuits, as they appeared to have a call in either vocation; never being idle, but always actively and usefully employed. They drew in their train the Gilmans, Prescotts, Rices and Randalls, and others, with their families. Elder Joseph left the town after a few years, yet it can hardly be believed to return to Sandwich for agricultural purposes, for the comparison between Lyndon and Sandwich, both for ease of culture and the amount of product, must have been greatly in favor of Lyndon. After his departure, Elder Daniel doubled his diligence, and mostly at his own expense built a meeting house near the centre of that settlement, and not far from his own house in the north part of the town, and succeeded in collecting a large church, which continuing to worship there until 1840, when the Methodists having vacated the meeting house at Lyndon Centre, and some of the Freewill denomination residing in that vicinity, it was deemed good church tactics to remove their place of worship to the Centre, which was done, consolidating the different memberships in one communion at that place; by so doing, they had the accession of the Methodists in that locality disaffected by the building of their new chapel at the Corner. Their congregation being very much enlarged, the effect was to raise the standard of their meetings by calling into their pulpit their best preachers before named, and occasioned the demand for a better house of worship, which was built in 1848. There was no better man than Elder Quimby, but his severe secular labors would not allow him as a preacher to equal his worthy brothers in the ministry, who devoted themselves exclusively to the gospel.
The descendants of the early settlers arriving at maturity, nurtured in the school of industry and economy, became important members of the community. Since that period others have come from abroad, who, from their business capabilities or professional skill, have filled large spaces in public estimation, of whom are Gen. E. B. Chase and Halsey Riley, merchants at an early period. Philip Goss, Esq., and Doctors Phineas Spalding, Freedom Dinsmore, and Abel Underwood, Nicholas Baylies, Thomas Bartlett, Jr., Moses Chase, Henry S. Bartlett, and Samuel B. Mattocks, lawyers by profession, but not all in practice; and subsequently Doctors Hoyt, Carpenter, Sanborn, Darling, Mattocks, Newell, Denison, Blanchard, Scott and Stevens; Doctors Cahoon and Houghton of the town helping to fill the ranks — as a class distinguished for high professional attainments — and more recently Jonathan W. Colby and Wm. H. McGaffey, merchants ; L. R. Brown, goldsmith; J. N. Bartlett, silver plater; G. T. Spencer, marble engraver; Hill, Howe, Baker, Welton & Currier, harness makers and carriage trimmers; E. Underwood, merchant tailor; and the Millers, carriage makers; there are two establishments, one, Miller & Trull, very extensive; the other, C. C. Miller & Co. — both do excellent work, in good times employing about 30 men. The Weeks, Quimbys, and W. H. McGaffey, merchants, and the Cahoons, lawyers and physicians, were descendants of the early settlers; and in all parts of the town there are those equally meritorious in their places, as Messrs. Bigelow, Baker, Pearl, Folsom, Thompson, Ingalls, Cunningham, Chaffee, Knapp, Fletcher, Sanborn, Spalding and Wakefield, but where all are equal it is impossible to discriminate, and we have no space to enroll all. The mass of the population are thrifty, well-to-do farmers, with a proper sprinkling of mechanics and professional men to inculcate good principles, keep good order and assuage and alleviate pain and sickness.
Of the selectmen, listers and other town officers, since the time specifically given, our limits will not allow the detail; all were competent to perform those duties, but the experienced could do so with greater ease, hence the old gentlemen, Daniel Cahoon, William Winsor and Abraham Smith were held in the service a few years longer; and then Judge Fisk, Gen. William Cahoon and Abel Carpenter, Esq., succeeded them in those offices very many years, some of them till 1827. Alpheus Houghton, Job Randall, Elias Bemiss, Samuel A. Willard, Samuel W. Winsor, William Way, Benjamin F. Deming, Josiah C. Willard, Bela Shaw, Jr., Halsey Riley and Jerry Dickerman participating as selectmen, or listers, and the last five principally in the latter office, for a period of some 20 years. Since then there has been more change, either on the principle of rotation in office, or taking turns in doing the drudgery of it. New comers and younger men, as the Bemisses, Bigelow, Baker, Chase, Chamberlain, Cunningham, Chaffees, Evanses, Fletchers, Folsom, Goss, Graves, the Houghtons, Hoyts, Ingalls, Ide, McKoy, McGaffeys, Parks, Pearl, Pierce, Pike, Prescott, Powers, C. Randall, Ray, Sanborns, Spauldings, Thompsons and Weeks, with some others, alternately being the ins and outs of said offices most of the time since — all, from first to last, tinctured with the infallibility of town rights and town prerogatives as against an individual. And the longer retained in office, the more tenacious, apparently on the principle of regal government that "the king can do no wrong," the officer acting in the representative character, embodying himself in the corporation, arrogates for it all he could desire it to have. We suspect that these sentiments are not confined to town corporations, but pervade much larger communities, though justice requires the admission that this arises, probably, from an over anxiety to faithfully perform their official duties, making individual rights subservient to the public good. We are apt to flatter ourselves that we possess greater merits and virtue than our neighbors, and may consider ourselves exemplary and praiseworthy in many particulars, for good qualities and good acts incident to all, yet in two things, if the Lyndonenses do not excel, they at least are commendable for their well doing, the one is for their care for the poor, the other their liberal expenditures, both publicly and individually, for the support of education, fostering public and private schools. For many years furnishing a throng of students to academies abroad, they have since, by private munificence, erected an academy at home, supplied it with a good apparatus, and then without funds, sustained it. Before this several had fitted for and completed their college course. Several have since fitted here and elsewhere, and received degrees at college, at a much less expense in preparing than formerly, and it is a noticeable fact that many more young men in this town than in any other town in the county or this section of the state, with perhaps the ex‑
348 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
ception of Peacham, have obtained liberal educations, and many others, not graduates, with finished academic and professional educations, have gone forth to do honor to themselves and their country in their appropriate spheres. The late
REV. WILBUR FISK, D D.,
the eloquent divine, and learned president of Wesleyan University at Middletown, Conn., a model of Christian excellence and purity, stands at the head of the list of Lyndon graduates in 1815 of Brown University. He was son of the Hon. Isaiah Fisk of this town, was born August 31, 1792, at Brattleboro, fitted for college at Peacham, and first entered college at Burlington; but that institution being suspended by the war, he transferred his relationship to that at Providence, R. I., where he graduated with distinguished honor. He entered the law office of the late Hon. Isaac Fletcher, and grasped the elementary principles with avidity, but the practice did not harmonize with his views of Christian duty and inclination, and after a year or two, a portion of which was spent in Maryland as tutor in a gentleman's family, he yielded to his sense of duty and became an itinerant Methodist minister in 1818. This as some would think it, was not placing his light under a bushel, but where his talents like a luminous body became resplendent and shone all around. As is usual in the conference, as the representative body of the denomination is called, he was stationed here and there, where his experience and talents would seem to indicate, and to some places where his innate modesty and infirm health would make him, in anticipation, quail, but where the reality fully justified the appointment; he never failed to be most acceptably received wherever he went, and there were probably but few, if any, his superiors in his order. He was soon appointed principal of the institution at Wilbraham, at which place he labored hard and successfully, and was appointed a bishop, which he declined, and afterwards first president of the Wesleyan University which he accepted, having presided over the institution at Wilbraham 5 years, being elected to the last office in 1830, 15 years and 4 months after graduating; over this new institution, in its commencement laboring under many difficulties, and the greatest the want of funds, he presided with distinguished ability the remainder of his life, about 9 years, dying the 22d of February, 1839. During the term of his presidency, for the double purpose of soliciting aid for the university, and promoting his health and also enriching his mind, he visited Europe, or to use the phrase of his biographer, Prof. Holdich, "at the meeting of the joint board of the Wesleyan University it was resolved to give the president a commission to Europe for the two-fold purpose of benefiting his health and advancing the interests of the institution, particularly having in view, for the university; additions to its philosophical apparatus and library. On the 4th September, 1835, Rev. Dr. Wayland, president of Brown's University, officially communicated to the Rev. Mr. Fisk that the board of fellows of Brown's University had conferred on him unanimously the degree of doctor of divinity. This was very acceptable from his alma mater on the eve of his departure for the tour of the east, which occurred on the 8th day of September, 1835. His wife and a Mr. Lane, afterwards professor in the university, accompanied him; they were absent over a year, making an interesting and profitable tour to the most important cities and places of Europe, including England, France, Italy, Ireland and Scotland, and returning in November, 1836, invigorated with health and well laden with very valuable donations as desired for the university. All were well satisfied with the result of his mission. During his absence, the maxim, Out of sight, out of mind, was not true in regard to him, for the general conference elected him to the office of a bishop, his former election to that office being in 1829, by the Canada conference. He declined this also, considering his duties to the university paramount, preferring duty to honor, and also disregarding great offers of wealth if he would accept that office, and continued to do his whole duty to the university as long as health would admit, and it continued to increase in popularity and numbers under his administration. His incidents of travel in Europe, published by request, is an interesting work; he published other works of interest, some were election sermons, and upon other occasions, and some dissertations on matters of ecclesiastical polity, all well worthy of perusal. In placing the name of Fisk at the head of the list of Lyndon graduates, I have made a biographical digression unintended in this place, yet perhaps more appropriate with his friends than if placed elsewhere alone as intended in some niche of our sketch, as we should deem it imperfect without him; for we think or speak of him but to admire and venerate, His last sickness was of pulmonary complaints, which troubled him through life, and it is said were
in the last stages extremely painful, yet borne with great fortitude and meekness. He died as the good man dieth, aged 47½ years nearly.
GEORGE B. SHAW, ESQ.,
Was the next on the list graduated at the University of Vermont in 1819, aged about 19 years, and was immediately appointed tutor in the university. He subsequently studied law in the offices of Messrs. Griswold and Follett of Burlington, and of Hon. I. Fletcher of Lyndon; was admitted to the bar in 1822, opened an office at Danville, and received a generous patronage of the business done there, which was not great, acquitting himself handsomely in its performance. By the influence of his father-in-law, Hon. Wm. A. Griswold, who formerly resided in Danville, he was induced to move to Burlington in 1823, where he remained some two years, and then returned to Danville; afterwards, when Lowell, Mass., broke like a meteor on the horizon, he removed there, and, after remaining a year or two, removed to Ottawa, Canada, and remained several years, and then returned to Burlington, which he made his permanent residence for life. When young, Mr. Shaw was remarkably precocious, possessing maturity far beyond his years; and in early manhood was characterized by the same trait, coming forward as the learned scholar and accomplished gentleman much earlier than his youthful associates. He was an elegant penman, a good accountant and a ready debater; of uncommon suavity of manners, he could render himself, with ease, the centre of any social circle in which he mingled. The young and the old alike regarded him as a shining ornament of society. After his return to Burlington he became absorbed in other matters than his professional pursuits, in part relative to the estate of Mr. Bigelow, father of his second wife (the first having died young, when at Danville). And at this time, while residing at Burlington, he was elected by the general assembly, several years in succession, reporter of the decisions of the Supreme Court; and afterwards his partner, William Weston, Esq., received the same appointment several years. Previously to this, during the administration of Governor Crafts, Mr. Shaw held the office of secretary to the governor and council, combining the present offices of secretary of the senate and secretary of civil and military affairs; both offices of secretary and reporter were very efficiently and acceptably filled by him. His son, Wm. G. Shaw, Esq., has since, under Gov. Fletcher, held the office of secretary of civil and military affairs, and has for a number of years been supreme court reporter, and now holds the office. The father died in 1853, of epilepsy.
GEORGE C. CAHOON
Graduated at the University of Vermont in 1820, and his name is under the head of the practicing lawyers in town.
REV. JOHN Q. A. EDGELL
Graduated at the same institution, and was settled in Massachusetts as a Congregational clergyman, possessing good talents and a genial disposition, and presumed to be an ornament of his profession, and is supposed to be still living.
REV. JAMES L. KIMBALL,
Of the same order, graduated at Dartmouth College about the year 1823 or '24, and having studied divinity, was ordained, and enjoyed bright prospects of eminence and future usefulness, when the destroying angel entered the abode of his father, Jude Kimball, Esq., with the flattering but insidious disease of consumption, and first took a beautiful and accomplished sister, Mary, in 1826, and in quick succession, an elder brother, Benjamin, and himself. And the flowers of youth were faded, and the early hopes of parents and friends blighted.
EDWARD A. CAHOON
Also graduated at the University of Vermont in 1838, and is in the list of Lyndon lawyers.
FREDERICK H. STONE
Graduated at Hanover, and is settled in Iowa.
WILLIAM W. CAHOON
Graduated at Dartmouth in 1845, and at the Medical College at Woodstock in 1848, and subsequently at a medical college in New York, where he was afterwards connected with the institution, under Doctor Mott, as assistant physician, where he made good progress in science and made himself useful about a year, when he contracted a pestilential disease and died. None had better abilities and higher aspirations for excellence and professional usefulness than he had. Having studied with able and skillful physicians and surgeons, attended the best lectures in the state, and received his diploma, in pursuit of still higher attainments, he sought the fountain heads of the profession in New York, resolved to never unskillfully tamper with human life in the practice of
350 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
his profession, if adequate knowledge could be attained, and in his laudable endeavors to make himself more useful by garnering from the purlieus of the hospital, he became a martyr to the cause of humanity. The following tribute erected in New York city to him and thirteen others, speaks for itself:
Hæc mea ornamenta sunt (These are my jewels). "Gorham Beals., William W. Cahoon" and 12 others, strangers here, "students of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, died of pestilential disease while serving in the Public Hospitals of New York. This Tablet is erected by the Faculty that the memory of these Martyrs of Humanity may not die, and that taught by their example, the graduates of the College may never hesitate to hazard life in the performance of professional duty."
The editor of the newspaper from which the above is taken, adds: "Many of our readers will remember one whose name is given above — W. W. Cahoon of Lyndon — a young man of much promise, whose sun went out ere it had reached the meridian." He was the son of the late Hon. William Cahoon, and died August 31st, 1848, aged 23 years and 6 months. He was a favorite of the family, and wherever known was appreciated.
CHARLES B. FLETCHER
Was a graduate at the Catholic College, Montreal, C. E., of him we have spoken elsewhere, he makes the fifth of the honored dead of the Lyndon graduates.
HON. CHARLES W. WILLARD,
A. lawyer and editor at Montpelier, is a graduate at Dartmouth, belonging to Lyndon.
HENRY CHASE, by profession a lawyer in Illinois, at present principal of the Academy at Lyndon, is a graduate of Yale College; GEO. W. CAHOON, attorney at Lyndon, and CHARLES M. CHASE, attorney and editor in Illinois, were classmates, graduating at Dartmouth; HENRY S. BARTLETT, now a lawyer of R. I., was a graduate of the same institution; Messrs. GEORGE E. CHAMBERLIN and HENRY NEWELL, should rightfully be classed as Lyndon students, who have recently graduated at Dartmouth (but it would be characteristic of St. Johnsbury to claim them); Mr. GEORGE W. QUIMBY of Lyndon, is also another recent graduate at Dartmouth, and two others hold a student's relation to the same, WM. HENRY PECK and DENNIS DUHIGG. The other graduates living in town, are MOSES CHASE, Esq., the Rev. WILLIAM SCALES, Hon. SAMUEL B. MATTOCKS, the last two of Middlebury; Dr. ENOCH BLANCHARD, Messrs. CHASE and BLANCHARD of Dartmouth; Messrs. ISAAC FLETCHER and NICHOLAS BAYLIES, deceased, also being graduates — and much is due to Mr. Fletcher for his influence in behalf of a liberal education. Others of the class are probably inadvertently everlooked.
Under the head of education we may appropriately include professional teaching, in law, medicine and divinity, for Lyndon at different periods, and almost constantly, has possessed among her citizens able tutors in all these sciences; and it is within the recollection of the writer that nearly an hundred young men belonging to the town, or coming from abroad for the purpose, have received their professional education here, and more particularly in the professions of law and medicine; many have in this and in neighboring states, become ornaments in their professions and valued members of society. Their numbers being proportioned about 20 theologians to 30 medical and 50 law students.
Of residents in town, of gentlemen in these professions, there have been nearly 50 clergymen settled acording to their order: 30 Methodists, one settled by the town and preaching 8 or 10 years, the others stationed annually by Conference, and most of them continued 2 years each, of whom are dead, Messrs. P. Peck, Fillmore, Fisk, Cahoon, Dow, Perkins and Mann; 8 or 10 Freewill Baptists, one, elder Quimby, dead;* and nearly the same number of Congregationalists, though not more than 6 technically settled permanently; some others preaching for a limited time on probation or otherwise, one, Mr. Kimball, dead,* particularly spoken of elsewhere, and some 4 or 5 Universalists. We have elsewhere alluded to the merits of this worthy class of our citizens.
There have resided in town over 20 different physicians, most of whom we have named; some were eminently skilled and all of good repute for science as well as morals. Some of the most scientific and skilled still live, of whom it is not my purpose to make remarks in any department other than general, yet it may not be deemed invidious to name as such, Drs. Spaulding and Newell, who are neither now residents here, and Dr. Fuller, deceased, one of the earliest, was a very learned and skillful man, having visited
* Only two died in this town.
France to perfect his education; Dr. Field, also deceased, was noted for his prudent care and good nursing. Since its settlement about 25 practising lawyers and some 4 or 5 out of practice, have lived in town, "the keepers and doers of the law." All have had a share of patronage. It is lucky that they were not all here together, for it would have been dry pickings, and some might have obtained a bad name; but spreading them over a space of nearly 60 years, they all have had opportunities to make themselves useful. Some look upon the lawyer as a sort of harbinger of evil, but this is illiberal, his duty is to suppress evil; and if governed by principle, he will endeavor to do it. The virtuous should not complain of him; but the rogue when caught undoubtedly would, for
"No rogue e'er felt the halter drawn,
With good opinion of tho law."
As a class, the lawyers of Lyndon have compared favorably with those elsewhere, and their general deportment has been courteous, manly and honorable; but we do not intend to speak of the merits of the living, but to the dead would give a passing tribute.
The first of whom we have knowledge, coming here in 1804 or '05, was a courtly gentleman, and as a town lawyer, very acceptable and efficient. As he left no record of his legal learning, we can not speak of it with certainty, not then being a correct judge of such matters; but coming from Windham county, the old school for good lawyers, we infer that it was respectable. He returned there after a few years, and his brother,
SAMUEL B. GOODHUE,
Took his place, but was very unlike him in appearance, and eccentric and erratic in his movements, a crusty old bachelor, who was reported to have been soured and shattered by an unfortunate amour in his youth. Like other eccentric bodies, he had his bright scintillations, but not very enduring. He appeared to be a harmless, upright and conscientious man, remaining here till 1811; when last heard from he was in a lunatic asylum.
JOHN M. FOSTER
Came next. He had been in practice elsewhere, and being naturally bright and kinky, he was a troublesome opponent for our bachelor friend, and particularly so, when he was a little warmed up by the spirit of the bar. Mr. Foster joined the army in 1812, and left town, probably in turn having been a little worried by the next coming lawyer. We have said that "in 1811
An educated man and a well read lawyer came to town;" he was a native of Massachusetts, and a graduate of Dartmouth College. After receiving his diploma, he taught in the Academy at Chesterfield, N. H., and there formed an acquaintance with Miss Abigail Stone, his future wife, and read law with Mr. Vose of New Hampshire, and Judge White of Putney,. Vt. He possessed an ardent temperament, with an ambition to equal, if not excell his competitors; prompt, energetic and unremitting in his efforts for his clients, he soon attained a good reputation and an extensive and lucrative practice, competing successfully with the most noted of the bar in the state, giants of their time. In doing this, he overwrought both his bodily and mental powers, participating in the trial of almost every cause in the supreme and county courts in Caledonia, Orleans and Essex counties, and being 8 years in succession state's attorney of Caledonia county, from early morn to a late evening hour, while attending court, being thronged with clients, or pressed with business; and when it was the period of repose for others, it came his time for genial social intercourse, which he. greatly relished, endowed with kindly feelings, and greatly needing relaxation from his severe labors. In addition to his ordinary labors was the care at different periods of some 30 students, some of these however lightening his burdens by assistance in writing and ordinary office business. He also entered the political arena, first in the house of representatives of the general assembly of the state, to which he was elected four times, and at the last session he was chosen speaker of that body. He was twice elected member of congress, but his health failing him from over exertion and mental and bodily prostration, he could not distinguish himself as he did in his profession, nor as his native talents and learning would entitle himself and friends to anticipate; yet when others would have been negligent, he was constant and faithful in his duty to the end of his term. His motto seemed to be, to do with all his might whatever he had to do. He acquired his military title by being appointed adjutant general in the staff of Governor Van Ness. He died in October, 1842, the year after the close of his con‑
352 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
gressional term, literally worn out, aged 58. Less ambition and less labor would probably have saved him many years to his family, his friends, and the world. His only son
CHARLES B. FLETCHER,
A young man of brilliant intellect, who was necessarily with his father most of his congressional course, and became well posted in matters of state, succeeded to his father's business in the office with Mr. Bartlett, his late partner, and remained at Lyndon a year or two, afterwards removed to Nashua, N. H., and then to Boston, Mass., to practice law with his father-in-law, Mr. Farley, a distinguished lawyer there; but he returned to Lyndon in 1852, with consumption, and died soon after, aged 34.
HON. NICHOLAS BAYLIES
Came to Lyndon to reside in 1835. He was a graduate of Dartmouth College, and afterwards a student and partner of the Hon. Charles Marsh of Woodstock, and afterwards of Senator Upham of Montpelier. He was a native of Massachusetts. While residing at Woodstock, he married Mary, daughter of Professor Ripley of Hanover, and sister of Gen. Eleazer W. and James W. Ripley, of the army of 1812, and since of congress. He moved to Montpelier in 1810, and had Judge Prentiss and other able men to compete with; yet, by industry, besides laboriously attending to his office and large court business, he composed several volumes of Indexes of Common and American Law, arranged under appropriate heads, affording ready references for practical use, and very valuable to the profession, three good sized volumes of which were published, entitled Baylies' Digested Index. Other volumes, written afterwards as an addenda, have not been published. He also published a treatise on the powers of the mind, considered valuable. He was an able practitioner of his profession till 1833, when he was elected judge of the Supreme Court, and reelected in 1834, discharging the duties of the office with distinguished ability. His wife having deceased, on retiring from the bench he ever after made it his home with his only daughter, Mary R., Mrs. George C. Cahoon; and, although advanced in life, yet, possessing good health and a vigorous constitution, he entered into the practice of law again with the ardor of youth, especially of chancery, in which he delighted, and at his death, in 1847, aged 79 years, was esteemed one of the most learned lawyers of the state. His mind was not so much characterized for brilliancy as for patient and indomitable perseverance in investigation and in arriving at correct conclusions. His family consisted of three children, the oldest a son, Horatio N., who was a merchant, and died in Louisiana in 185—; and his youngest a son, Nicholas, Jr., a lawyer, who resides in Des Moines, Iowa. The daughter, Mary Ripley, Mrs. George C. Cahoon, died at Lyndon, July 18, 1858.
There are two considerable villages in the town, LYNDON CORNER and LYNDON CENTRE, and some other places which aspire to the name, not very numerously settled, as the Red Village and East Lyndon.
Lyndon Corner is a centre for several other towns to do much of their mercantile and mechanical business, and is noted for being a brisk business place. The villagers having in their number those who professionally deal in almost all the necessaries and comforts of life, they transact business of nearly every kind found in the country, and there are enough of each trade and profession, so that a person can have a fair opportunity to select with whom to deal, and the subject matter to deal about. It contains 2 church edifices, an academy, and 2 school-houses; a public house, livery stable, and two buildings with large halls for public occasions; 2 retail stores, in one of which Lyndon post office is kept; 1 merchant tailor's clothing store, 1 other tailor's shop, 1 extensive tin and sheet-iron factory and stove and variety store; 1 flour and grocery store, 1 medical store, 4 shoe stores and shops, 2 harness shops and 2 carriage trimmers, 2 jewellers, 1 daguerrean gallery, 1 silver plater; 2 extensive carriage factories, one operated by steam, the other by water, both making excellent carriages; marble works, cabinet makers, house-joiners; 4 blacksmith shops, 2 planing-mills, sawmills, grain mill, oil mill, plough shop, blind-maker, sash and door makers, coopers, painters, mason, butcher, cattle dealers; also 2 clergymen, 4 physicians and 4 lawyers. The private dwelling-houses are about 120, with 150 families and from 700 to 1000 inhabitants. This village lies in the southerly part of the town, and derives its name from the junction and course of the roads.
Lyndon Centre, deriving its name from its locality, is about two miles north from the Corner, situate in which are 2 church edifices, the town hall and school-house, and a public house. It has 2 clergymen, 1 physician, 2 merchants, 2 shoe shops, 2 blacksmiths, se‑
veral house-joiners, 1 rail road contractor, 1 starch factory, 1 sawmill, 1 tannery, 1 harness shop, and about one-third of the number of houses at the Corner, and families and people in proportion; also a post office. The cemetery is also in this village, and, although it may not possess great interest to strangers, yet their own is a very interesting feature to the people of every town and locality. It is situated in rear of the town hall, as now called, being for many years the only meeting-house in town, and the ground in the cemetery first used for burial, is part of that donated to the town by Mr. Job Sheldon. It was first used in 1803, by the burial of Lucy, daughter of Capt. Joel Fletcher, and none other in town has been used since, unless a few in the Elder Quimby neighborhood, long ago. It contains a large congregation of our loved and honored dead. The old part was indiscriminately used without reference to order, but on adding the new part at the west, it was allotted out as well as it could be, and laid out in good taste. Another addition, on the whole length of the north side, was made a year or two ago. Since this purchase, the whole grounds have been encircled with a nice new painted fence, and ornamented by terraces and flower beds; costly family monuments and a very large number of beautiful head-stones are erected to our friends, and high above them all, on elevated ground at the west end of the centre avenue, stands a tall Italian obelisk upon marble pedestals and granite base of appropriate dimensions, inscribed to the memory of about twenty Revolutionary officers and soldiers who have died in town. This was erected under the superintendence of a town committee, with funds raised by private and voluntary donation; an appropriate tribute from the right source — a spontaneous outpouring of the treasures of the heart to the champions of freedom. There is an expensive tomb near the centre of the ground, with hewn granite front and iron doors, erected by Elder Daniel Quimby for private family use, which has occasionally been used as a receiving tomb. The family monument of Abel Carpenter, Esq., one of the Revolutionary officers, whose name is familiar, was the first erected here. Its base was granite, and its column white Vermont marble, good for its time, but less than those of recent structure. The next erected, was to the family of Jude Kimball, Esq. This, for the purposes intended and the number of its inscriptions, is probably better proportioned and more symmetrical than any other in the cemetery. It is placed in the centre of the group of graves of father, mother, her mother, two sons, two daughters, and two grandsons. A beautiful bed is made over the graves, and the shaft of the monument rests on appropriate bases of marble and granite. The surviving son who caused its erection, Lucius Kimball, Esq., of Brooklyn, N. Y., must have cultivated his taste in Greenwood Cemetery. The monument of Dr. Charles B. Darling, of rich Italian marble, octagonal, fluted and otherwise ornamented, and of elegant proportions, is the most beautiful in the cemetery. Its truthful tribute is "He was a good man." A few weeks since his beautiful wife was laid by his side, to claim another tablet to departed worth. The family monuments of Hon. Isaac Fletcher, Capt. Joel Fletcher and Josiah C. Willard, Esq., are as large and expensive, and some of them more so, than Mr. Kimball's, and of similar materials, but vary in form and finish, to suit the taste of the purchaser. The Trull, Bemiss, Curtis and Bowker, are also good ones, but not so large nor of the same order. In proportion to the whole, the monuments are but few, but there are an unusual number of beautiful head stones, and many of them of the richest Italian marble of good size and proportions, very thick and highly polished on all sides, and set in appropriate granite bases.
In other parts of the town there are some 8 blacksmith shops, also other mechanics, such as are needful and will make themselves useful in every community, such as house joiners, chair makers, sash and blind makers, mill wright, 7 or 8 saw mills, carding machine. starch factories, &c., &c., and at the rail road station a large wholesale store, besides the capacious depot and storage store. More with propriety might be said of the convenience and benefit of the rail road to the town. Freight for the Lyndon stations is usually deposited in the depot, but might be taken off at the Folsom crossing, three miles north, where there is a side track convenient to East Burke, where many cars are loaded from the north part of the town and Burke, and from Wheelock and Sheffield; but all those towns usually take their freight to and from the depot, situated about ¾ of a mile southeast from the Corner. Large numbers of cattle, sheep and horses are sent from here, also large quantities of butter, potatoes and starch, and of whatever is marketable; and a great number of carriages and harnesses made in town for the sunny south and California, in better days, to order.
354 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
There is not great ornamental beauty in the location or structure of the buildings of the main village, the site being uneven and lacking compass and space for building and pleasure grounds; but it is adapted to its use of being a busy central business place not only of the town, but of a large surrounding country. Its surroundings are high, but verdant hills of pasture ground and culivated fields, and if the mind is weary of confinement in the seeming fastnesses, the body has but to climb to the summit, and there will be ample space in which to breathe free and easier, and for thought to soar.
The census shows the population to have been in 1791, 59; in 1800, 542; in 1810, 1092; in 1820, 1296; in 1830, 1750; in 1840, 1753; in 1850, 1754; and 1860, number not known by the writer, but understood to have diminished a trifle. For several years the town has not increased much in population, and probably for the last decenary not quite held its own.* This arises from a variety of causes, one of which is that the inhabitants are mostly engaged in agriculture, and that there is but little unsettled land in the home market, and that held at so high a price as to be eclipsed by the large amount of lands at the west at government prices. Another is the golden bait for the greedy at California, Pike's Peak and Australia, both these causes have greatly tended to deplete this and other towns in the vicinity of their richest treasures, their enterprising young men and women, to people the wilderness or delve in the mines. And many young men and women have gone abroad to find broader fields in which to disseminate learning, mete out justice, administer the potent pill, or declare peace on earth and good will to man. It is no wonder then, that our numbers should decrease under such a process: yet we have a healthful and intelligent population left, with as fair prospects of prosperity and happiness as usually falls to the lot of man.
STATE, COUNTY AND TOWN OFFICERS,
RESIDENTS OF LYNDON.
1791, '2, '3, Daniel Cahoon, Jr.†
1793-1808, Daniel Cahoon, Sr. †
1808 1829, William Cahoon. †
1829-1843, Elias Bemiss, Jr. †
1843-1845, Andrew J. Willard.
1845—1855, John M. Hoyt.
1855, John McGaffey.
1856, Edward A. Cahoon.
1857, William H. McGaffey.
1858-1861, Isaac W. Sanborn, incumbent.
1814, Nicholas Baylies† (then of Montpelier).
1815-'20, William Cahoon. †
1820-22, Wm. Cahoon, †
Lieut. Gov. and ex-officio Councillor.
1826-32, Benj. F. Deming. †
1833-34, George C. Cahoon.
Office abolished in 1836, and Senate created.
1836, Joseph H. Ingalls. †
1840, Elias Bemiss, Jr. †
1841, '2, Thomas Bartlett, Jr.
1843, '4, George C. Cahoon.
1845, '6, Welcome Bemiss.
1847, '8, Sam'l B. Mattock, now of L.
1849, '51, Eph. Chamberlin.
1856, '7, Edward A. Cahoon.
COUNCIL OF CENSORS.
1806, Isaiah Fisk. †
1813, Nicholas Baylies. †
1792, Dan. Cahoon, † 1
1793, Josiah Arnold, 1
1794-1802, inclusive, Daniel Cahoon, Sr., † 8
1802, '5, '8, '9, '10, '11, '12, '25, '26, William Cahoon, † 9
1803, '4, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18, '21, '23, Isaiah Fisk, † 10
1806, '7, Abraham Smith, † 2
1819, '20, '22, '24, Isaac Fletcher, † 4
1827-33, Job Randall, 7
1834, '52, '53, E. B. Chaco, 8
1835, George C. Cahoon, 1
1836, '7, Elias Bemiss, Jr., † 2
1838, '9, Benjamin Walker, † 2
1840, '41, '48, '49, Stephen McGaffey, 4
1842, '3, Benaiah Sanborn, 2
1844, '5, Asaph Willmarth, † 2
1846, '7, Lucius Kimball, 2
1850, '54, '55, Thomas Bartlett, Jr., 3
1851, John D. Miller, 1
1856, Daniel L. Ray, 1
1857, '8, William H. McGaffey, 2
1859, '60, Sumner S. Thompson, 2
1861, George Ide, incumbent.
DELEGATES TO CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION.
1793, Josiah Arnold. †
1814, '28, William Cahoon. †
1822, Isaac Fletcher. †
1836, '43, George C. Cahoon.
1850, '57, Thomas Bartlett, Jr.
* See Chapter County Census Table, page 270.
JUDGE OF SUPREME COURT.
1833, '4, Nicholas Baylies.* Judge Baylies formerly resided at Montpelier but in Lyndon the last 12 years of his life.
JUDGES OF THE COUNTY COURT.
1807 (1st), Isaiah Fisk.* Years.
1822 (last), in all 14 years, being chief justice, 8
1811-19, William Cahoon,* 8
1824, '5, Samuel A. Willard, 2
1839, '42 '3, Ephs. B. Chase, 3
1820-29, Isaac Fletcher,* 8
1835, '6, '7, '47, George C. Cahoon, 4
1839, '41, '2, Thomas Bartlett, Jr., 3
1851, '2, 3, Henry S. Bartlett, 3
1854, '5, Edward A. Cahoon, 2
1860, '1, George W. Cahoon, incumbent, 2
1815, '16, Jude Kimball,* 2
1828, '9, '30, '31, Silas Houghton,* 4
1832, '3, '4, '5, Charles Roberts, 4
1851, '2 '3, George Ide, 3
1854, '5, Horace Evans st. St Johnsbury, 2
1856, '7, Orenso P. Wakefield, 2
Mr. Evans's family were early settlers of Lyndon, where he lived many years and officiated as deputy there a long period, previously to his election as sheriff.
JUDGES OF PROBATE.
1821-32, Benjamin F. Deming,* 12
1836 (1st), '47 (last), Samuel B. Mattocks, 9
1821, '2, George B. Shaw,* 2
1823, '3, '5, George C. Cahoon, 3
1826 (1st), '38 (last), Samuel B. Mattocks, 8
1817-32, Benj. F. Deming, 16
Mr. D. was a merchant at Lyndon, and relinquished it to very faithfully perform his official oppointments.
1887 (1st), '48 (last), Samuel B. Mattocks, 12
Mr. Mattocks formerly resided at Danville, and represented that town 3 years, and was cashier of the Bank of Caledonia 8, and has been cashier of the Bank of Lyndon 5 years, and now holds it.
MEMBERS OF CONGRESS.
1829-33, William Cahoon,* 4
1833, '4, Benjamin F. Deming,* 2
1837-41, Isaac Fletcher,* 4
1851-53, Thomas Bartlett, Jr., 2
Of President Madison, William Cahoon;* of President Lincoln, Edward A. Cahoon. Both were messengers to Washington.
Edward A. Cahoon.
George C. Cahoon,
George W. Cahoon, partners.
Charles S. Cahoon.
Edward Mattocks, Allopathy.
Chester W. Scott, Homœopathy.
Enoch Blanchard, Allopathy.
John M. Weeks,
1861, Aug., Wm. H. McGaffey.
In the 71 freemen's meetings, holden since the organization of the town, it is a remarkable fact that there has always been an election of a representative, and never but one failure of his attending the legislature, and that of General Cahoon in 1810 by reason of sickness. Farmers have represented 48 years, lawyers 9, merchants 9, physician 2, carriage-maker 1, and rail road contractor, 2; the representatives of 40 years are known to be dead, the others except one, are known to be living.
CALEDONIA COUNTY FARMERS' CLUB.
BY THE SECRETARY.
A convention was called at the Town Hall in Lyndon, the 5th day of September, 1860, to organize an agricultural society to accommodate more particularly the citizens of Northern Caledonia. A large number were in attendance, the convention enthusiastic and harmonious. After a temporary organization by choosing Hon. E. A. Cahoon, president, and I. W. Sanborn, secretary, and spirited remarks from gentlemen of the several towns represented, a county farmers' club was permanently organized, with the following officers: Elisha Sanborn, president; Sullivan Ranney, vice president; I. W. Sanborn, secretary; Charles Folsom, treasurer.
The first exhibition was held at Lyndon
356 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
Centre on Thursday, the 20th of the same month, with very satisfactory results. Nearly a thousand head of cattle were exhibited, including 792 oxen! The other departments were well represented, especially the ladies, or Floral Hall.
At the second annual meeting, held Jan. 30, 1861, the same officers were reelected with an additional vice-president and secretary.
The second exhibition was hold on the same ground, Oct. 2, 1861. The fair was very successful.
The society is founded upon a basis in many respects dissimilar to any other in the state. Diplomas are awarded instead of cash premiums, thus rendering the expenses of the society comparatively small, the necessary funds being raised by membership subscriptions. The results thus far have proved very satisfactory.
THE FARMER'S GIRL.
A GREEN MOUNTAIN SONG.
BY ISAAC W. SANBORN.
For the farmer's girl, hurrah, hurrah!
Hurrah for the farmer's girl!
Light is her step o'er the grassy lawn,
As that of the playful, agile fawn,—
Hurrah for the farmer's girl!
For the farmer's girl, hurrah, hurrah!
Hurrah for the farmer's girl!
Her cheeks are tinged with a roselike hue,
Her lips are red and her eyes are blue,—
For the farmer's girl, hurrah!
For the farmer's girl, hurrah, hurrah!
Hurrah for the farmer's girl!
She's hale and hearty, noble and true,
Ever ready for the work she has to do,—
Hurrah for the farmer's girl!
For the farmer's girl, hurrah, hurrah !
Hurrah for the farmer's girl!
She's truthful, trusting, generous, kind,
Happy and gleeful — just to your mind,—
For the farmer's girl, hurrah!
Extracts from "Lelia Lyndon" (Miss Susannah S. Burt).
In reply to an article in The Aurora of Nov. 24, 1860.
We have found the priceless dower,
We've obtained the fitting gem,
And it sparkles bright this hour,
In our nation's diadem
Would you know the thing selected,
As the "something new" we scan?
'Tis that "Honest Abe" 's elected
Champion in the truth's bright van.
'Tis that error now shall crumble
'Neath the power of justice's might,
Truth shall cruel tyrants humble,
Bringing "hidden things" to light.
Now the fettering curse of thralldom
Shall extend not with its sin.
Since our Ruler we've installed him,
Lincoln's rails will fence it in!
Weary not tho' each endeavor
Brings not now success to thee,
Work in faith — remember never
Acts of goodness lost will be.
Sit not down with heart despairing,
Weary not within the strife,
There's a goal that's worth the sharing,
Brighter than this tear-dimmed life.
BY J. P. SMITH.
The history of this town contains little to interest that class of readers whose homes are among the thriving towns and villages of our state, surrounded by wealth and luxury, and who have little or no sympathy for the rough backwoodsman and hardy pioneer. Those, however, who cherish the memory of our forefathers, and sympathize with those who encountered so many difficulties and hardships in subduing the dense forests, and preparing a home for themselves and their descendants, will love to read their humble story, and draw the parallel between their own comfortable times, and those of their ancestors. This town is situated in the north or northeast part of the county, and was laid out in the form of a square, containing 36 square miles. It was formerly a part of Essex county. It was chartered August 15, 1781, to William Wall and others.
The first land that was cleared in its limits was near the boundary of Burke, in the year 1795. In September, 1797, James Ball came with his family, and settled upon the farm now occupied by his son, Mr. Perley Ball. In 1801, Eleazer Packer came and settled some two miles deeper still in the forest. Charles Palmer came in 1804. These were the first settlers. Others came in soon after, and the town was organized in 1809. These families suffered many privations. The nearest grist mill was at Lyndon, 12 miles away, and the cold summer of 1816 destroyed nearly all their crops. In the course of a few years, however, large tracts of forest land