BY T. A. CUTLER.
town is pleasantly situated on the Connecticut river,
lying along the 15 miles fall S. S. E. of St. Johnsbury, and 45 miles E. from
slate for roofing have been quarried by Messrs. Hale & Bracket. There are also many specimens of a peculiar formation of granite, sometimes called nodular granite. "It contains balls, usually a little flattened, scattered in it like plums in a pudding. These balls are usually about an inch in diameter, and are composed essentially of black mica, having the plates arranged in concentric layers with a very thin deposit of quartz between the layers."
the Passumpsic, which flows through the west corner of the town,
the early settlement of Waterford, though probably attended with the trials and
hardships incident to all early settlements, nothing has been handed down
worthy of record. The town, by name of
The town was organized in 1793. The first town officers were: Selah Howe, clerk; Peter Sylvester, Daniel Pike and Nehemiah Hadley, selectmen; Levi Aldrich, Luther Pike and Levi Goss, listers; Samuel Fletcher, constable; Abel Goss, town treasurer. Population in 1791, 63; in 1800, 565; in 1810, 1289; in 1820, 1247; in 1830, 1358; in 1840, 1388; in 1850, 1412; in 1860 (see census table in county chapter, No. 3).
There being no valuable water power manufacturing establishments or central place of business, the occupation of the people has been confined exclusively to agriculture, and much of the business of the town goes to the adjoining towns of Barnet, St. Johnsbury and Concord; consequently the population has for many years remained nearly stationary, and the two little villages present to-day nearly the same appearance as do early days, when a rhyming son of Vulcan sang of his beloved village as
— "A very fine place,
Adorned with majesty and grace;
Situated under Rabbit Hill
With a tavern, store and a clover mill."
With this change, however, a beautiful church now stands in each village, and the clover mill has been changed to a starch mill, which suits the wants of the people quite as well, though it might grate a little in the poet's measure. In 1798, a
Was organized, consisting of 8 members — 4 males and 4
females. The Rev. Asa Carpenter, the first minister, was born Oct. 4, 1770, in
FREEWILL BAPTIST SOCIETY,
Over which the Rev. Rufus Cheney was installed. How long he preached, or how long
the society remained in existence the writer is not informed, nor are the records of the church to be obtained. A religious society called
THE FIRST UNIVERSALIST SOCIETY
Born and educated in
Clergymen. — Wm. H. Wadley,* Alfred Stevens,* Samuel A. Benton,* James H. Benton, E. I. Carpenter,* Prosper Davidson, Thomas Kidder, Eben. Cutler,* Zenas Goss,* Samuel Hurlbert, Silas Gaskill, Philander Carpenter.
Lawyers. — J. D. Stoddard, R. C. Benton, R. C. Benton, Jr.,* Jacob Benton, A. H. Hadley, O. T. Brown, A. J. Hale, Jona. Ross,* E. Cutler, Jr.,* A. P. Carpenter,* Luther Kidder.
Physicians. — A. Kinne,* A. Farr, C. Farr, R. Bugbee, Jr., A. G. Bugbee, Frank Bugbee, N. S. Goss, Wm. Benton.
Representatives. — 1795, Jona. Grow; 1796‑98, John Grow; 1799-1801, Asa Grow; 1802-5, Jos. Armington; 1806, Silas Davidson; 1807, Jos. Armington; 1808-16, S. Hemingway; 1817, Jos. Armington; 1818-19, Nathan Pike; 1820-21, Jacob Benton; 1822, S. Hemingway; 1823, Jonah Carpenter; 1824, S. Hemingway; 1825-26, Silas Davidson; 1827-29, S. Hemingway; 1830-32, Robert Taggard; 1833-34, J. D. Stoddard; 1835, S. Hemingway; 1836-37, Lyman Buck; 1838-39, James Works; 1840-41, R. F. Rowell; 1842-44, Royal Ross; 1845-46 Dennis May; 1847-48, Joseph Ide; 1849-50, Barron Moulton; 1851-52, A. P. Bonney; 1858-54, Wm. Adams; 1855, Dennis May; 1856-57, J. D. Stoddard.
Town Clerks. — 1793-95, Selah Howe; 1796-1801, John Grow; 1802-5, S. Hemingway; 1806, Samuel Gaskill; 1807-16, S. Hemingway; 1817-23, J. Carpenter; 1824-41, C. Hemingway; 1842-57, L. S. Freeman.