Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

 

434                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

 

GOSHEN GORE.

 

 

BY JOSEPH CLARK.

 

There are two Gores in Caledonia county by this name. The largest contains 7839 acres; lies in the northwest part of the county, is bounded north by Wheelock, east by Danville, south by Walden, and west by Greensboro'. The smaller Gore contains 2828 acres, and lies in the southwest corner of the county.* These Gores derive their name from the town to which they formerly belonged. By a singular act of the legislature, these two Gores in Caledonia county, and one still larger in Addison county, 70 miles distant, containing 13,000 acres, were incorporated into a town, by the name of Goshen; chartered Feb. 1, 1792, to John Rowell, Wm. Douglass, and 65 others, and re-chartered to the same, Nov. 1, 1798. The inhabitants of the part of the town in Addison county, organized March 29, 1814. The Gores in Caledonia county were severed from the town of Goshen by the legislature in 1854. There have been frequent petitions by the inhabitants of the larger Gore in this county to become organized into a town, the first being presented to the legislature in 1835; but an organization has never been granted The larger Gore in this county, being most accessible to East Hardwick, as a place of business and post office address, is distin­guished from the other, by "Goshen Gore, near Hardwick." This tract of land lies sloping from the valley of Lamoile river, rising to form one limb to the fork of the Y.

The first settlements were made by Elihu Sabin and Warren Smith in 1802. Smith did not settle permanently. Sabin built a frame house which he occupied until his decease, some 41 years. Other settlements were made soon after that of Sabin, by Reuben Smith, Elisha Shepard, Reuben Crosby, Thomas Ransom, Azariah Boody, Ephraim Perrin and Andrew Blair. Improvements were made about the same time by several other transient residents. Although the settlement of the place was at comparatively a late date, the hardships incident to new settlements had to be encountered. Supplies of grain and necessaries had to be procured in a measure from adjoining towns; the method of transportation frequently upon their backs, and the method of payment, generally, by day's work. The frosty season of 1816, and others which occurred previously, was severely felt. Mary Sabin was the first child born. Freeman Smith was the first male child, and Edmund Barker and Betsy Rabin, the first couple married.

The western portion of the Gore, towards Lamoile river, comprising about two-thirds of the territory, is improved by resident occupants. The number of families is over 40. The soil is a mold, in some parts black, in others reddish; but little clay or loam. It is strong and well adapted to grass and English grain; the timber chiefly maple, birch, spruce and fir. Two or three farms on the eastern extremity, adjoining Danville, have been under improvement since 1805. James Clark and Thomas Young made the first improvement there.

The eastern portion is chiefly unimproved and mountainous, but well timbered. In the northern part, there is a pond covering about 80 acres, the outlet of which finds its way to the Connecticut river. A steam saw mill was erected by this pond in 1856, by T. G. Bronson. Bronson died in 1857, and the mill passed into the hands of others — Hawkins & Ross, present proprietors. Nearly 1,000,000 feet of lumber is manufactured at this mill annually, which is principally drawn to St. Johnsbury, and used in the manufactory of E. & T. Fairbanks. About a mile west of this pond is a "beaver meadow," also called "Blueberry Meadow," where vestiges of the labors and dwellings of this sagacious animal are yet to be seen. A stream arises from this meadow, called Gore Brook, which empties into Lamoile river.

The first saw mill was built by G. W. Cook, on a stream which is the outlet of a pond in Wheelock. This mill was burnt, and another built by William Shurburn on the same spot. The second was burned, and the third was built by Enoch Foster in 1833, which is still in operation. There was also another built in 1840, by Levi Utley, on the Gore brook, leading from Beaver meadow.

The first meeting house, first public house, first grist mill, first physician, and first lawyer, are among the things  that never were.

The first school was kept by Barilla Morse, in Reuben Crosby's barn, in 1812. Judith Chase, Betsy Sabin and Lucretia Washburn were the next succeeding teachers, Mrs. Andrew Blair sent her girl to the first school, and paid the tuition with a pink silk handkerchief. "Schoolmarm know'd I had it, and she wanted it to make her a bonnet." (Good old Mrs. Ann Blair's testimony.) The

—————

* Goshen Gore the less was set off to Washington Co. — Ed.

† The people, for the most part, are not dissatisfied with their present situation, being exempt from the demands of the tax-gatherer, and the expenses incident to a town organization.

 

 

 

                                                    GOSHEN GORE.                                         435

 

first frame school house was built in 1823. In 1834 a second school district was formed. A Freewill Baptist Church was organized here in August, 1841, and Elder John Garfield ordained pastor. It consisted orignally of 12 members; upwards of 50 have since belonged to it. Two of their quarterly meetings were held here. In 1855, H. W. Harris became their minister, who was succeeded by Elder Geo. King, ordained pastor of the church in 1857. Elder King has left the place, and the church is now supplied only by initerant ministers. In 1850, this church

"Resolved themselves into a society for the purpose of aiding superannuated ministers and poor widows and orphans, and to do all they could for their aid and support."

 

ELIHU SABIN

 

Born in Dudley, Mass., in 1772, died in "Goshen Gore, near Hardwick," July 9, 1843, aged 71. He was one of the 26 children of Mr. and Mrs. Gideon Sabin, commemorated in the Hardwick History (No. 3, p. 324).

As has been before mentioned, he was the first permanent settler of this Gore. A generous-hearted, worthy man, talented for his day and opportunities, energetic and persevering, he had the respect of all the settlers of the neighboring towns, and was, for about 20 years, a justice of the peace. He was, moreover, distinguished for uncommon muscular strength, in so much that the history of the Gore is not without an example of the courage and prowess requisite for a hand-to-hand mortal combat.

Once on a time, well verified it is said, Sabin did face the foe in a single-handed struggle for life. It appears that he had caught a cub, whose cries brought forward the bear robbed of her young, whom Elihu unflinchingly smote with the breech of his gun; the bear was dispatched, and so was the breech of Elihu's gun. Lest, however, it may be said, in cavil, that sudden desperation which has been known to give supernatural strength, nerved our hero's arm, we have a more deliberate feat with which to crown our point — the prodigious strength of Elihu Sabin — a feat of no thrilling moment, a plain, practical test, however, evincing not less arm-strength in the man. A living witness testifies that he has seen Mr. Sabin knock down with one blow of his fist, a two year old bullock, striking him between the fore shoulders, and breaking a rib. Can the state show a stronger man?

 

EPHRAIM PERRIN

 

From Connecticut, came into the Gore in 1807, and lived entirely alone 8 years in a log hut, which he constructed by the side of a large rock, which served the purpose of fire-place, and one end of his apartment. It is said all the bedding which this man had, "was a rag coverlet and a second-hand great coat which Mrs. Sabin let him have." Finally, his affairs prospered, and one of his neighbors, a good old lady, told him he must get married, and "picked a wife out" for him, Miss Polly Cheever, whom he married, and then built a frame house. This wife died in a few years, and he married the second time to Maria Cutler, and reared a numerous family. He justly merited the reputation he obtained, of being a remarkably honest, hard working man; was rather tenacious in his opinions and prejudices, but not forward to assert them. He died in 1859.

 

REUBEN CROSBY

 

One of the first settlers, accumulated a handsome property, but becoming partially insane, meditated self destruction. For this purpose he made his escape from his house, and seated himself upon a large rock, where he remained till his limbs were frozen. But by a change in the weather the process of thawing, much more painful than freezing, commenced. This led him to creep to the house, but he lived only a few days. He died in 1830.

 

REUBEN SMITH

 

From Warren, N. H., was another of the early proprietors. He died Jan. 30, 1860.

 

ISAAC STEVENS

 

Came into the place about 1820. An excellent variety of potato, extensively known as the Stevens potato, was propagated by him from the balls. He died in 1859.

 

ANDREW BLAIR.

 

Had the Olympic races come down to our times, Mr. Blair, according to report, might have become a successful competitor for a crown. It is current that he once ran down and captured a fox, and was overheard holding a parley with the captive, whether the thing was done fair. But, unlike the Olympic races, not having an impartial judge to decide the points, the fox seemed to dissent from his victor's boast of fair play. "Now," says Mr. Blair, "if you think the thing was not done fair, we'll try it again." Whereupon the fox was let go, and was allowed to have a few rods the start, when Blair took the

 

 

 

436                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

track. Away went the fox — away went Blair; one for life, the other for victory, over hill, over fence, over brush, till Blair caught the breathless trophy, a second time, in triumph.

Mr. Blair was one of the pioneer settlers. Andrew M. Blair. Esq., son of Andrew Blair, was late a member of the Wisconsin state senate.

 

 

—————————————————————