626                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.









The decease of Horace Loomis of Burlington, which occurred on the 6th of April last (1865), at the advanced age of 90 years, was to the community like the fall of an ancient, familiar and venerable land-mark — so generally and favorably was he known and confided in, so long fixed in his locality, and so uniform and consistent in his character. He was born in Sheffield, Mass., on the 15th January, 1775, and came with his father's family to reside in Burlington, on the 17th Feb., 1790, being then 15 years of age — and for 75 years resided on Pearl Street, within speaking distance of the place where the family first located. During 40 years of that time he was actively and earnestly engaged in the leather business, either in the employment of his father or on his own account, and for more than 60 years resided in his well known hospitable mansion on Pearl street, which, with the "old stone shop," on the opposite side, he built in the then recently cleared forest. He was twice married and left a widow, three children, seven grandchildren and one great-granddaughter. He celebrated his golden wedding in 1855, and died within a month of the 60th anniversary of his second marriage.

Mr. Loomis was a remarkable man — he was over six feet in hight, of stout and manly frame, large features, open and fresh countenance, and of an earnest and genial expression. He would have been a marked man in any assembly of people, and in his later years and in his best estate he was the rival of the "fine old English gentleman." He received but a common school education, which substantially closed with his 15th year. The earnest demand for labor in the new settlement was not calculated to favor the cultivation of the mind or teach its value. Nevertheless he found time to educate himself in all the requirements of a man of business, and was well informed as to what pertains to the business, political condition, and character of the prominent men of his own and other countries. The solid realities of his early life taught him to underrate what was not real and tangible, and hence he took little interest in matters of imagination, in poetry, theories, or abstractions of any kind, and became emphatically a practical business man. He early learned the necessity and duty of honest exertion and industry — these he considered the true and legitimate means of wealth and independence; he respected labor and had a peculiar regard for the money which was its price — yet, when occasion demanded, he spent it like a lord. He was always an early riser, and rejoiced in the fresh morning air, and instances occurred not unfrequently when, in his morning calls, he disturbed the lingering slumbers of his customers in the neighboring towns.

His example exercised a larger and beneficial influence on the community, particularly the young men, in whom he took a deep interest, and ever treated with considerate kindness and respect. But strict and rigid as were


* Rather the ground now occupied by the cemetery, we are later informed. The first chapel was indeed built there; but having been destroyed by fire, the additional site of the present church was purchased by the Catholic party, and the lot given by Mr. Hyde appropriated for a burial-yard. — Ed.




                                                     BURLINGTON.                                          627


his notions of business, he was eminently social and hospitable — no man better loved his friends or was more warmly regarded by them; he belonged to the order of good fellows, and had the life-long confidence and friendship of many of the first business men of our cities. He was a home man and made home the center of his enjoyments, being never happier than in dispensing his hospitalities there. He was particularly fond of the game of whist, which, when a partial deafness had deprived him of the pleasure of general conversation, was a frequent resource in the long winter evenings. He was a man of order as well as industry, and lived as by an unchangeable programme.

Mr. Loomis was distinguished by a wonderful memory, strong judgment, an intuitive knowledge of human nature, and a high regard for integrity, truth and exact justice. His memory was peculiar — not apparently dependent upon association of ideas, but seemed to be a record indelibly written. This peculiarity was illustrated in the account he gave the writer of this article of the early settlement of this town, which was written out and in part published in this Magazine. It was given without hesitation or apparent reflection, as if read from a book, and embraces a large body of events, names, dates, anecdotes and other interesting facts. He commenced his political life a democrat, but soon discovered his mistake and joined the federal party and became a great admirer of Hamilton. He afterwards belonged successively to the national republican, whig and republican parties, and had an unwavering confidence in Abraham Lincoln. He was the friend and supporter of Henry Clay, whom he entertained at his house in his visit to Burlington. Although he took a lively interest in politics and always attended the polls, he would never consent to be a candidate for any political office, and never held one.

Having been successful in business and attained to a liberal competence, which was all he desired, Mr. Loomis, many years since, relinquished his tannery establishment to his son, and what with the management and improvement of his farm for a few years, the cultivation and special care of his homestead, which was ever kept in the best repair and order, he spent his remaining years in the scrupulous discharge of his duties as a good citizen, neighbor and friend. He was never idle — and time seldom hung heavily upon him. He visited his old customers and friends, and ever delighted in learning their condition and prospects and talking of the olden time. He read much of good books and the newspapers, maintaining a deep interest in our national affairs, and particularly the great struggle to put down the pro-slavery rebellion, to aid which he sent a substitute to represent him in the army of the Union. Mr. Loomis had always enjoyed good health, which with care and prudence were continued to the last, excepting the lack of strength and activity incident to old age, partial loss of hearing and occasional attacks of the cruel disease which put an end to his life. His mind seemed never to have faltered. In full view of the speedy change that awaited him, he exhibited his accustomed cheerfulness, self-possession and fortitude, and without a murmur or expression of impatience he fell like the grand old forest tree which, though somewhat shorn of its beauty and proportions, still gave evidence of great vitality in its sturdy trunk and green branches and yielded at last but to the woodman's ax.

Mr. Loomis may be said to have been a fortunate man — fortunate in the possession of a sound mind in a sound body, in his power to influence others and control himself, to inspire respect and esteem, in his cheerful temperament and wonderful memory, in his family relations, in his business and in a long life, virtually commencing with the successful termination of the war for freedom and independence, and closing with the downfall of a mighty rebellion against his country's life, embracing a period of more than 70 years of national peace and prosperity.

Mr. Loomis was not communicative on the subject of his religious views, but belonged to the liberal class of Christians — was one of the founders of the Unitarian society in this town in 1810; and punctual in his attendance upon its services for near half a century, he continued a member of the same to the day of his decease. He made no formal profession of his faith, but left his life to speak it. And we close this imperfect sketch of that life in the abiding faith and trust that its perfect record will not be blotted out or held for nought.




628                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.







Andrew Thompson was born in Salem, Washington Co., N., Y., Oct., 22, 1786. After finishing his academical education he studied law and was admitted to the practice of his profession. He entered into copartnership with the late Hon. David Russell, of Salem; but finding that the bar was not congenial to his taste, soon abandoned his profession, and turned his attention to the business of banking. His first experience was as a teller in the banks at Waterford. He subsequently removed to Albany and thence to Troy, N. Y., where he was acceptably employed in the Bank of Troy, of which the late Alanson Douglas was cashier, and E. Warren, president.

In 1819 he removed to Burlington, Vt., to become the cashier of the Bank of Burlington. He was then 33 years of age. He was the first cashier of this bank, and for thirteen years gave to that institution the advantage of his rare financial abilities, which enabled him to place the Bank of Burlington upon so firm a basis in public esteem, as to have no superior and hardly an equal in New England. It is the verdict of those best qualified to form an opinion, that no monetary institution in the country has ever been more prosperous during a term of thirteen years, than was the Bank of Burlington under the administration of Andrew Thompson. His tact, prudence and sagacity, realized for its stockholders large dividends; and his able management, satisfactory to both shareholders and the people, promoted as well the credit of the town where the bank was located, as the reputation of its high-minded and far-seeing chief.

Mr. Thompson, in the hours he was in the habit of daily devoting to study, prepared a profound essay upon the Unity of the Human Race, which he read publicly in Burlington in 1827, and at Keeseville in 1833, and, by urgent request, repeated in the winter of 1857-8. It is a source of regret that this philosophical essay has never been published; for it would illustrate in a forcible manner the wide range of thought, and high literary culture for which he was justly distinguished.

Mr. Thompson was not a mere banker, although as such he had hardly an equal and no superior.

At the February term, 1821, of the Chittenden county court, he was admitted to the practice of the law in Vermont, of which privilege however he never availed himself, but his acquaintance with commercial law was to him a source of great advantage in the responsible position which he occupied to the close of his life.

He possessed a metaphysical turn of mind. He was an original and profound thinker. He was accurate in judgment of human character. He was ably versed in ancient and modern history, well read in current literature and a close observer of men. He was a diligent student and spent all his time not occupied with business in profound study, prolonging his reading often till the small hours of the night. Upon the maternal side he was related to the late John C. Calhoun, and possessed some of the intellectual gifts for which the Calhoun family was distinguished.

Upon the organization of the Essex County Bank, at Keeseville, N. Y., he was induced by the bankers of Troy, N. Y., who held a large majority of the stock, to accept the cashiership, and to remove from Burlington. He surrendered the many social and religious ties which bound him and his family to Burlington, and went to Keeseville, at the instance of the Douglases and Warrens of Troy.

Upon forming his resolution to dissolve his connection with the Bank of Burlington and tendering his resignation which was most reluctantly accepted, the directors upon Mr. Thompson's suggestion, appointed as his successor Richard G. Cole, Esq., of Troy, the late able and acceptable cashier.

In 1832, he removed to Keeseville, N. Y., and for nearly thirty years he was the faithful and successful manager of the Essex County Bank, intimately connected with and diligently promoting the varied and important interests of the valley of the Ausable.

As tending to illustrate his literary and scientific tastes, it may not be improper to state that the visitors at the Essex County Bank were never astonished on seeing on his private desk specimens of ore, rare minerals or other objects of natural history, whose properties he was investigating at intervals, when not occupied with business. Within reach was his scientific dictionary or cyclopedia, which he might consult at pleasure. —




                                                     BURLINGTON.                                          629


In this manner he became a skillful mineralogist, and learned in geology.

But he never forgot nor became indifferent to the interests of church and state which he was mainly instrumental in establishing in Burlington. It was there that his early married life was passed, and there that his financial genius had its amplest scope and won its earliest and, perhaps, most brilliant triumphs.

Mr. Thompson earned for himself and family an ample fortune, of which no part however was tainted with usury. It was the legitimate fruit of a long and diligent life of industry, prudence, and wise economy.

In 1860, his health being greatly impaired, he was succeeded as cashier by his son-in-law, Samuel Ames, Esq. His death at the ripe age of 77 years, took place at Keeseville, November 10th, 1862. He leaves to mourn his loss a widow and two daughters Elizabeth, wife of Samuel Ames, and Catharine, wife of Dr. Talmadge, all residents of Keeseville. The world has need of more such intelligent and upright men as Andrew Thompson.







Dr. William Atwater was born in Cheshire, Ct., May 9, 1789. He was the youngest of a family of eleven children. His father, Ambrose Atwater, removed with his family from Ct. to Burlington about the year 1797, where he resided a respected citizen, until his death (Feb. 25, 1835), at the advanced age of 92 years. He was one of the most efficient founders of the St. Paul's Church, and presented to the Society a valuable set of silver plate, for the Communion service, which they still use.

The subject of the present sketch became a student in the University of Vermont, receiving the following certificate of admission:


"Burlingtoniζ, Augusti die vicesimo, Anno Domini 1805.

In Universitatem Viridis Montis, classe Recentium Gulielmus Atwater alumnus admittatur.                                               DANIEL C. SANDERS, Prζses."


He was graduated Aug. 16, 1809, the class of which he was a member being the sixth that was graduated from this University. He at once commenced the study of medicine in the office of Dr. John Pomeroy, who was then in the prime of life, and doing an extensive practice in this and the adjoining towns. Dr. Atwater continued as a student in his office the required period of three years, and was then examined, before the Medical Society of the county of Chittenden, and received the following diploma:


"By the third Medical Society of the state of Vermont as by law established:

Mr. William Atwater, having presented himself to this Society for examination on the Anatomy of the Human Body, and the Theory and Practice of Physic and Surgery, and being approved by our censors, the Society willingly recommend him to the world, as a judicious and safe practitioner in the different avocations of the Medical Profession. In testimony whereof we have hereunto prefixed the signature of our President and seal of the Society, at the Medical Hall in Burlington, the 2d Tuesday of June, A. D. 1813.

John Perigo, Secretary.

                                          JOHN POMEROY, President."


While a student of medicine he was drafted for service in the war of 1812, by the following warning:


Burlington, July 7, 1812.

"In compliance with instructions received from Hezekiah Barns, Jun. Captain of the detached Militia, you William Atwater are hereby warned to appear at the place of rendezvous in Burlington, on Friday, the 10th inst., at 11 o'clock A. M., completely armed and equipped for taking the field, and to consider yourself in actual service agreeable to law.

CHAS. V. CLARK, Corp'l."


He did appear at the time and place mentioned, and with gun and knapsack took up the line of march for the northern frontier, but was taken ill a few miles from Burlington, and was obliged to return home, and thus did not see any actual service in the field.

After receiving his diploma he still remained for a time in the office of Dr. Pomeroy, practicing with him — enjoying in a high degree the confidence of his preceptor and the benefits of his large experience and extensive practice. In 1816 he received the commission, of which the following is a copy.


"By his Excellency Jonas Galusha, Esq., Captain General, Governor, and Commander in Chief, in and over the State of Vermont.

To William Atwater, Esq. — Greeting: You being elected Surgeon of the squadron of Cav‑




630                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


alry, in the second Brigade and third Division of the Militia of this State, and reposing special trust and confidence in your patriotism, valor, and good conduct, I do, by virtue of these presents, in the name and by the authority of the freemen of the State of Vermont, fully authorize and empower you, the said William Atwater, to take charge of the said squadron as their Surgeon.

You will therefore, carefully and diligently discharge the said duty, by doing and performing every matter and thing thereunto relating. You will observe and follow such orders and directions as you shall, from time to time, receive from the Governor of the State, for the time being, or any other of your superior officers, according to military discipline, and the law of this State. And all officers and soldiers under your command are to take notice hereof, and yield due obedience to your orders, as their Surgeon, in pursuance of the trust in you reposed. In testimony whereof, I have caused the seal of this State to be hereunto affixed. Given under my hand, in Council Chamber, at Montpelier, this twentieth day of September, in the year of our Lord, One Thousand Eight Hundred and Sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States, the forty-first.

By his Excellency's command,

R. C. Mallary, Secretary.



The following discharge is endorsed on the back of the document:


"The within named William Atwater is hereby honorably discharged from further serving as Surgeon in the squadron of Cavalry, in the 2d Brigade and 3d Division of the Militia of the State of Vermont.

Signed,                                    ABRAM BRINSMAID,

                                                 Major Commanding.

Burlington, March 3d, A. D. 1820."


Dr. Atwater remained in Burlington practicing medicine, until about the year 1818, when he removed to St. Lawrence Co:, N. Y. He was married to Delia Wetmore, June 20, 1820. He practiced in that county until 1829, when he returned with his family to this town, and resided here until his death, which occurred July 27, 1853, at the age of 64. During this long professional career of 40 years, he had the confidence of the people with whom he lived, and especially during his last residence in Burlington, a period of 24 years, he received the patronage of the people of this and the adjoining towns to as great an extent as could be desired. During the epidemic of malignant erysipelas that prevailed so extensively and fatally in this town in the year 1843, he contracted the disease by making a post-mortem examination, and came near losing his life. He always attributed his recovery to his own firmness in resisting the majority opinion of a council of physicians that he ought to be bled. He was among the first to discard phlebotomy in the treatment of this disease, which had been heretofore so commonly resorted to as a remedy, and his success well attested the correctness of his judgment.

The honorary degree of M. D. was conferred on him by the corporation of the University of Vermont, at their annual commencement in 1844.

As a man Dr. Atwater was modest and unassuming in his manners, and scrupulously honest in all his dealings. As a physician he was uniformly courteous and honorable in his profession, never striving by any acts to be a rival, and always on terms of friendship with his professional brethren. He was a safe and judicious practitioner, never experimenting with life; beloved by his patients for his affectionate attention and manifest sincere desire for their recovery, attentive equally to the poor and the rich, answering the calls of all, regardless of the pecuniary reward or his own convenience or comfort. He was eminently fitted by his Christian character and professional skill to be a family physician, in the best sense of the term. Fathers and mothers freely gave him their confidence, and entrusted to him their most delicate family secrets, without fear of ridicule or exposure. The older residents still often speak of him with affectionate gratitude. At the time of his death he left one daughter and five sons, one only of whom, Dr. H. H. Atwater, still resides in Burlington. Two of his brothers, Phinehas and Thomas, were long residents of this town. His oldest sister was the wife of Capt. Thadeus Tuttle, also a resident here for many years.






Cassius Francis Pomeroy was the eldest of three children of Dr. John and Mary Pomeroy. He was born in Cambridge, Vt., 17th




                                                     BURLINGTON.                                          631


Sept., 1789. In the spring of 1792 the family removed to Burlington, and for the summer and fall occupied a log cabin on the north side of what is now Pearl Street, where the youngest of the children John N. Pomeroy, the only survivor of the family, was born. There was nothing remarkable in the early life of Cassius. Although quite a thinker he was popular with his mates, and in their enterprizes and military exhibitions generally selected as leader, and early learned to sail on the lake in a little yacht which his father permitted him to own. He was a great admirer of Nature, and a curious and acute observer of her phenomena, and fond of domestic animals, especially the dog, which when old enough he always had and petted. His education commenced by the teachings of his mother, and thence through the ordinary forms and appliances of the district school in a new country — so new that, on going to school one day, he encountered a bear and two cubs just south of the bridge on Pearl Street, on what is now the railroad track.

His preparation for entering the University, or "fitting for college," was accomplished under the instruction of Tutor Jones and the Rev. Asa Lyon, of Grand Isle, the latter having at that time a high reputation as a classical scholar and teacher. Cassius was admitted in 1802, at the age of 13 years. The demand for students exceeded the supply, and Dr. Sanders was, moreover, an advocate for early education. During the few years at the University, he maintained the character of a lad of original thought and respectable scholarship. It cannot however be doubted that his love of Nature, of the free sports of the wild woods and waters, not unfrequently came in damaging conflict with algebraic signs and Greek roots. His youngest classmate was James L. Sawyer, who entered at 12 and graduated at 16, being the youngest graduate of the University; among the older, were James Strong and Ezra Carter Gross, each afterward members of Congress from the state of New York. Cassius graduated with honor, his part at commencement being a poem which was quite creditable for one of his age. His dislikes of form and display was strikingly evinced at the commencement. Dr. Sanders, on whose shoulders almost exclusively rested the interests and prosperity of the University, thought much of forms, and lost no opportunity of giving eclat to its public exhibitions; he did not call on the different speakers, on commencement day, by tamely saying "the first speaker," "the next," but it was in round Latin — "orator ascendat." Instead of formally presenting the graduating class to the corporation (which by the by is not done now) as "young gentlemen," it was in a Latin address commencing "Ecce hos juvenes." Well, the Doctor requested the graduating class to dress in uniform black silk robes, on commencement day; Cassius was shocked at this idea, and nothing but the most earnest entreaties of his father and friends could persuade him to submit, and that not without tears.

So attached and devoted to his profession was his father, he early fixed upon his eldest son to take his place and carry out his views and theories; Cassius acceded, as well from choice as a sense of duty, and soon after the termination of his college course commenced and prosecuted the study of medicine and surgery, with other kindred studies. The large practice of his father — having always a small hospital of invalids around him — and his association with the other students in the office in dissection and attendance upon his father's public lectures, greatly promoted his progress, and before his admission to the title he was in the practice of his profession. He gave good promise of eminence in his first essays in practice, and after his admission he successfully performed several capital operations in surgery. Deeming his education incomplete, however, without further opportunities afforded by the best medical schools in the country, and notwithstanding his services were so much required by his father, by the presence and care of the troops, he spent the fall and winter of 1812-13 in Philadelphia, in attendance on the lectures of Dr. Rush, Casper Wistar and others, with great profit to himself; and with tokens of respect of his teachers, returned about the 1st of March to enter into full practice with his father, then overwhelmed with calls from the citizens and the array, who were suffering from that terrible scourge pneumonia notha.

Being in somewhat delicate health, the change of climate and excessive fatigue and exposure were too much for him, and on the 22d of March, in less than three weeks after his return, he fell a victim to the disease,




632                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


which for the most part of that time he had so fearlessly combated in others. His death was esteemed a great public loss, by his father irretrievable, indeed it cast its dark and long shade over his remaining years.

Thus was cut off in the 24th year of his age, a young man just commencing active life in one of the most important professions, under the most favorable auspices and with the highest promise of success — a young man of unblemished moral character, of deep religious impressions, — without an enemy, but with many friends, who testified their sympathy and respect by a large attendance at his funeral.

His death was commemorated by a discourse addressed to the students of the University, by Dr. Sanders, in which he speaks of him as "the first pupil who commenced a course of preparation for admission into this college, and as a young man of good genius, a benevolent mind and correct conduct, of great promise to his friends, to his profession, and to the world." The following fragment is from his pen:



By C. E Pomeroy.

Some place their every joy in sordid gold;

Some, to control, but not to be control'd.

Has riches any ever happy made?

Never! without contentment lent her aid,

That man alone, whose mind is free from care.

Who little wants, and little has to spare;

Who seeks not pow'r, nor will by pow'r be sought;

Who is by conscience rul'd, by reason taught;

Thus he, who does these qualities possess,

Only can know, or feel true happiness.

Once Cresus liv'd, who had great wealth in store,

But still, the more he had, he wanted fore.

Be wise; by this example you may know,

Contentment makes us happy here below.

                                                      May 22, 1805.







Henry Hitchcock was born in Burlington, 19th Sept., 1792. His father, Samuel Hitchcock, was an eminent lawyer, and district judge; his mother, the eldest daughter of the renowned Ethan Allen. He was the eldest, but one, of six children, who lived to man and womanhood. Loraine, the eldest, married Major Peters of the U. S. army, but did not live long, and left no children. Mary Ann, the third child, married Dr. Parkin, and after a few years residence in Alabama, also died, leaving a son, who still survives. Ethan A. was educated at West Point, and after a long and distinguished service in the regular army, resigned, and not long since received the appointment of major general of volunteers, and is now on duty at Washington. Caroline, with all the accomplishments which the best schools and society could give, died in the beautiful bloom of early woomanhood. Samuel, the youngest, was educated at West Point — studied law with his brother, but did not practice, and died at sea, a few years since, on his return from Europe. Henry was a frank, intelligent, active and generous boy; he graduated at the University of Vermont, with honor, in 1811. He was regarded in the college as a young mien of superior mind, and a most reliable good fellow and friend. The decease of his father in 1813, and the limited means of the family imposed an early burden upon Henry — he met it however with courage, and for several years, by his own labor, cultivated a small farm and otherwise provided for the wants of the family. At the same time he prosecuted the study of the law in the office of Charles Adams, Esq., and was admitted to practice in 1815. He was engaged in several important suits, and would undoubtedly soon have been extensively engaged in practice, but he sought a new and wider field in the south and west. He was just the man for a pioneer — active, resolute and hopeful. With the proffered aid of generous friends, he left his family, Oct. 10, 1810, and started for the Ohio, navigating part of his way in a skiff propelled by oars which he as a yankee was bound to know how to handle. By way of Natches, he arrived at Mobile the principal town in what was then called Mobile territory, now Alabama. It was a rude place — but its advantages as a port at the head of Mobile Bay — the rapid progress made in developing the resources of the country, the prospect of a territorial government and a state government soon to follow, made Mobile a promising place for the adventurer. In ill accordance with these favorable appearances our young friend was, two long months from the opening of his office, without the shadow of a client; but business came apace — he was called upon to act as district attorney and soon found himself fully employed. His success may be judged of from the fact that within the year from his leaving his native town, he had located himself at Mobile, discharged his obligations to his friends, and purchased a house for his family to occupy at St. Stephens about 90 miles up the Tombigbee




                                                     BURLINGTON.                                          633


river — and that family consisted of his mother, two daughters, one son and a cousin, both lads. On the establishment of the Territorial Government in 1818, he was appointed Secretary of the Territory, and executed the duties of Governor in his absence. He was requested to stand as candidate for Congress, but declined, as it interfered with his first purpose and duty, the practice of his profession. On the 4th of July, 1818, he pronounced an oration which gave great satisfaction, and was printed for distribution. He was appointed district paymaster of militia of the territory, for services in the war of 1812 — the duties of which appointment involved investigations which were onerous and responsible.

After a hotly contested election he was chosen a delegate from his county to the convention to form a constitution for the new State of Alabama. He was elected by a plurality of 93 votes over the other delegate (a Mr. Pickens, who had been six years in Congress), notwithstanding the strong prejudice even then existing against the North. It was said by the wits that "if a yankee was elected, the constitution would play yankee doodle." It was replied that "yankee doodle was a good tune when well played, and that none but yankees could play it!" Mr. Hitchcock attended the convention and took an active part in its deliberations and doings, and was acting Secretary of State until the organization of the State government in 1819 — when he was appointed Attorney General. This appointment added much to a very extensive and lucrative business, already requiring a partner. The duties of his new appointment brought also, in conjunction with the judge, the digest of the laws of the State. The law business of the firm about this time extended over six counties in Alabama and one in Mississippi; to attend which involved the traveling over 800 miles in a new country twice each year, and the suits pending on the dockets in which they were engaged numbered 1300, besides 300 new entries commenced. Hence, Mr. Hitchcock determined to make his permanent residence at Cahawba, the Capital of the State, and place of session of the Circuit and District Courts of the United States.

On the death of Governor Bibb, the first governor of the State, he pronounced his eulogy, with the ardor of a warm friend and admirer, but without exaggeration.

Being at Nashville in 1819, he presented himself to Gen. Jackson, who happened to be there. He was cordially received, and invited to go out with the General to the Hermitage, about 12 miles distant, where he partook of his hospitality for two days, and was highly gratified. He wrote of Gen. Jackson as a man of "wonderful energy, strong intellect and great decision of character."

His duties as Attorney General made so palpable to Mr. Hitchcock the want of a book of forms of legal proceedings that, nothing daunted by the press of other avocations, he concocted, arranged and had published, at his own expense (not less than $5000), the Alabama Justice, which was well received and generally adopted.

Having become settled at Cahawba, and having a large claim against Colonel Erwin, a respectable planter in Tennessee, he deemed it necessary to visit him. In August, 1819, he made the trip, and after arranging his business, very naturally fell into the company of the colonel's daughter, an interesting young lady of sixteen, — the interview was short, the result however very clearly shows the arrows of the little god flew both ways; albeit nothing was intimated by either party at the time, he making a resolve not to think of the matter until he should be authorized by his success to take upon himself the cares and responsibility of an addition to his present family. Was he not a man of firmness to maintain such a resolve nearly two years till May 1821, during which time he never saw or corresponded with his lady love! The beautiful month of May at length arrived — and he hardly needed its genial influence to bid him break forth from the trammels of business and seek relaxation in Tennessee! His pecuniary means already respectable and in the full tide of successful experiment in his business, it was not surprising to those who knew him, his high social qualities, his love of the society of refined and intelligent women, his ardent temperament and warm and susceptible heart, that he should seek the realisation of his beau ideal of earthly happiness in the domestic endearments of married life. In fact, he went with a determined purpose, known only to himself, and after a ten days happy interview — the happiest known to




634                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


mortals — the month of October, then next, was fixed upon for the ceremonial of a union of two hearts, already one. The consummation took place in a splendid wedding at the mansion of the bride's father, and she soon graced the pleasant home awaiting her. Mrs. H. was graceful, attractive and lady-like, though not beautiful — she was well educated, intelligent and ambitious. She was the sister of Mrs. Yeatman afterward and now the wife of John Bell of Tennessee; and one of her brothers married the daughter of Mr. Clay.

An unpleasant disagreement occurred between Mr. Hitchcock and his colleague, Governor Pickens, as to some matters connected with their election or in the convention to form the state constitution, which, with his subsequent conduct alleged by Mr. H. to have been unfriendly and hypocritical, resulted in a personal dislike to such an extent, that he charged the governor to his face and in public with his disreputable conduct, and subsequently refused to take his offered hand. The fact that the governor subsequently appointed Mr. H. to the duties of superintending the publication of the laws of the state, which made it necessary to spend some months in New York during the publication, affords a somewhat significant commentary on the character of the parties, and the complexion of the difficulties which had subsisted between them.

This visit to New York gave him an opportunity of visiting his native town and state. He was received with delight and generous hospitality. His stay was short, but every moment employed in visiting his friends and the different localities of the town — the college and the improvements in which he took a deep interest. On leaving Burlington he visited Vergennes, where the family once lived, and where he had many old and dear friends and relatives, and he did not neglect those who were needy nor leave them without encouraging words and substantial benefits. On returning to New York he designed and had constructed a handsome family monument to be erected near the grave of his father in the cemetery at Burlington.

The ten years succeeding his marriage, including his visit to New York and Vermont, included events in strange contrast. He had had a pleasant visit, his financial prospects were all he could wish, he was surrounded by devoted friends, and his wife was every day dearer to him — he wrote to his friend, "I am more in love than ever." His two first children, sons, he lost in infancy — his mother and his wife were both dangerously sick at one time — the yellow fever was committing its ravages around him and the death of his sister Caroline was followed, in little more than one year, by that of his sister Mary Ann (Mrs. Parkin). In view of these afflictive events he wrote to his friend as follows: "For myself I always meet these trials perhaps with stoic fortitude, but I must confess that repeated deaths in our family has very greatly changed my views in life — it has bound me more closely to those who remain, and brought me more seriously to reflect upon the preparation necessary to insure that happiness which we all hope to attain in a future existence. I am not becoming misanthropic or dejected, my soul is still warm with all its force and energy, and my heart beats with the same kindly emotions but its direction is more pacific, and I desire to be more retired, and I would be at peace with all men and above all with Him who made us and to whom we have all hereafter to account."

In the journey of General La Fayette to the South, in 1825, he visited the capital of Alabama, and made a call at Mr. Hitchcock's (the only private call he made in the state), to pay his respects to the memory of Ethan Allen, whom he personally knew and to Mr. Clay, whose daughter, Mrs. Erwin, was present on a visit. Mr. Hitchcock, in a letter to his friend, says: "this is the only fruit of my inheritance from that quarter," and refers to Dr. Franklin's letter to Mrs. Bache upon the value of "descending honors."

He was this year appointed to collect and report the decisions of the Supreme Court for publication, which he accepted.

In November, 1826, Mr. Hitchcock removed to Mobile, where he designed, by gradually restricting his practice to that place, to find more leisure for relaxation and his friends. This year he visited Washington on important business, and was admitted as an attorney of the Supreme Court. He heard the famous speech of Mr. Everett, whom he greatly admired, and a long and able argument in the Supreme Court by Mr. Webster, with whom he dined.

Under the administration of Mr. Adams he received the appointment of district attorney, the duties of which office he ably discharged




                                                     BURLINGTON.                                          635


for several years, and in January, 1835, he was elected one of the Justices of the Supreme Court of the State, and subsequently he was elected as Chief Justice, which offices he filled with credit to himself and the approbation of the public until his extensive business operations compelled him to resign.

Mr. Hitchcock's domicil was one of the most elegant in the city. The grounds were spacious and beautifully laid out, embellished with ornamental shrubs and flowers; the rooms of his mansion richly furnished, exhibited many specimens of art. His library, to say nothing of his extensive professional one, included a large collection of valuable works, and the limit of his hospitality was not lessened by the fact that he was considered prominent, if not the leader, in all public improvements and institutions, social, charitable or religious.

In the summer of 1830 he journeyed to the North with his wife, two children and servant, stopping in New York, Boston, West Point, Vergennes, Burlington, Montreal and Quebec — affording him the gratification of exhibiting to his accomplished lady the northern States and Canada, and of introducing her to his old friends, particularly in his native state and town. His stay in Burlington, though short, will long be remembered with pleasure. Nor was this visit without its higher gratification and benefit, in the kind attentions he gave and liberal provision he made for his less fortunate relatives. On his return South he went through Kentucky, and spent two days in the hospitable mansion of Mr. Clay.

The speculative spirit had commenced early in Mobile the population of the city was rapidly increasing; lands were rising in value; large improvements were making, and projected. Mr. Hitchcock was bound up in the success of Mobile, and he doubtless did more to promote its prosperity than any other individual. He owned the great hotel of the city, which, through bad management, failed. He took it under his personal management, and soon reestablished its good character, and made it a complete success. He, with others, purchased 900 acres in the upper part of the city; he owned wharves and other real property — the church in which he worshiped he built chiefly, if not entirely, at his own expense. In the summer of 1835 he built 16 large brick buildings, three of them 4 stories and eleven of them 3½ stories high. He also sold this year property to the amount of $250,000, and considered himself worth half a million of dollars.

About this time Mr. Hitchcock, as would generally be assumed, strangely, but in fact very naturally, sought the completion of his happiness in a more satisfactory solution and settlement of his relations with the world to come. May 10, 1835, at the age of 43, he was, with 26 others, publicly baptized and admitted a member of the Presbyterian church. His account of his conversion is manly, candid, humble and touching; and an abundant assurance of sincerity in a faith in which he consistently lived and died.

Mr. Hitchcock, with his wife and four children, made his third visit to Vermont in 1834. The sad loss by death of his youngest boy, a promising infant, while in Burlington, cast a deep shade over the otherwise happy occasion. This was his last journey to Vermont, excepting a short trip from New York, to see his mother in her new home, in 1836.

On his fourth visit to Vermont, in 1835, Mr. Hitchcock's mother desired to purchase her old place and spend the rest of her days there. Mr. H. at once accorded with her wishes and furnished the means of making the purchase. And Mrs. H., after 20 years absence, found herself at length happily located in her old home, repaired and furnished in a handsome manner. Here she resided among her old neighbors for six years, and in communion with the Unitarian church, died in 1842.

After 20 years of unchecked prosperity a change came — the whole country felt it, and Judge Hitchcock, hopeful and buoyant though he appeared, was seriously embarrassed by a large loan he had made of the bank of the United States, secured by mortgage upon his estate, the payment of which was attempted to be enforced contrary to the understanding of the parties, as he contended. This attempt he resisted, and it was during the pendency of the bill to foreclose the mortgage, and at the close of a hotly contested canvass for member of the legislature, in which Judge Hitchcock was the successful candidate, that he was arrested by an attack of the yellow fever; and after a few days of suffering, in the full consciousness of his approaching end and in an abiding hope of a happy immortality, he rested with his fathers, August 11, 1839, at the age of 47 years. His estate was settled




636                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.


by his legal representative, and resulted in a compromise, securing to his widow and mother a handsome support. She returned with her children to her friends in Tennessee, where she survived her husband many years. Of eight children, four died in infancy; one, Andrew, in youth, and three still survive. The eldest, Caroline, is married and resides, it is believed, in Pittsburgh, Pa. Henry, the eldest son, is married and is a prominent lawyer, and loyal Union citizen of Missouri. Ethan is engaged in business in China.

Judge Hitchcock's political views were accordance with the national republican party, in its day, and subsequently he was an uncompromising whig and a great admirer and supporter of Mr. Clay. On the subject of slavery, while he denounced the system on principle, in the abstract, he felt compelled to adopt in practice, so far as he required domestic servants.

Judge Hitchcock's personal appearance was prepossessing — of fair complexion, middle size, erect, stoutly but compactly built, with an aquiline nose, determined mouth and piercing eye. It wanted but his quick and energetic movement to make him a marked and felt man wherever he went. Though, in general, rather expressive of decision, not to say sternness in manner, among his friends, particularly in the company of ladies, he was courtly and winning. A bust of him was procured by his friends, taken from life, and is now exhibited among the distinguished citizens of the country, at Fowler and Wells' collection in New York.

The writer of this imperfect sketch, who enjoyed the intimacy of his departed friend in early years, continued by an uninterrupted correspondence of 23 years, and extending even beyond the limits of his friend's life (the last letter having been received after his decease), will not forego the expression of this parting tribute — the grave has seldom closed over the remains of a higher intellect, a nobler spirit, a more unselfish heart, a more affectionate husband, father and son, or a truer friend.





[From the Family.]


Thomas Chamberlain was born in Topsham, September 23, 1792, and began the practice of his profession in Fairfield, about 1820. In 1822 he was married to Orissa Willmarth Barlow, who died March 24, 1825. They had one child, Orissa Barlow Chamberlain, who was born March 22, 1825, and now resides in Burlington, and is the wife of Brush M. Webb, the present town clerk. Dr. Chamberlain removed to and settled in Burlington in 1825, and resided there until his decease. He was married again, April 24, 1828, to Nancy Hyde Corning. She died Sept. 4, 1854, of typhoid fever. She was a lady of great excellence and was held in high esteem by all who knew her. They had one child, Cornelia Van Ness Chamberlain, who was born Feb. 20, 1830, and married June 17, 1851, to Levi Underwood, who was Lt. Governor of this state in 1860 and 1861. Dr. Chamberlain was a successful and skillful physician and surgeon and continued to practice in his profession until about 1840, when he retired. He died of typhoid fever, Nov. 29, 1854.







Timothy Follett was born at Bennington, Jan. 5, 1793. He was descended, on the maternal side, from the family of Fay, a grandson of John Fay, who was killed at the battle of Bennington, Aug. 16, 1777. John Fay was, at the time of his death, chairman of the committee of safety, and with his brothers Jonas, Joseph and David, an active patriot during the American revolution, and deeply engaged in the controversy between the colony of New York and the Green Mountain Boys.

At the age of ten years, by the death of his father, he was left, with two sisters, to the care of a widowed mother with but slender means, and who, to educate her children, removed to Burlington. In 1806 he entered upon a course of collegiate studies at the University of Vermont, and was admitted to a baccalaureate degree August 1, 1810. Immediately after his graduation he entered the office of his brother-in-law, the late Hon. Wm. A. Griswold, an attorney at Danville, where he remained, with trifling intermissions, until June, 1812, when, through the kind aid of Eleazer H. Deming, another brother-in-law, a merchant residing at Burlington, he was provided with funds sufficient to enable him to pass through a course of law lectures at the school of Judges Reeve and Gould at Litchfield, Conn.