Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

 

636                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

by his legal representative, and resulted in a compromise, securing to his widow and mother a handsome support. She returned with her children to her friends in Tennessee, where she survived her husband many years. Of eight children, four died in infancy; one, Andrew, in youth, and three still survive. The eldest, Caroline, is married and resides, it is believed, in Pittsburgh, Pa. Henry, the eldest son, is married and is a prominent lawyer, and loyal Union citizen of Missouri. Ethan is engaged in business in China.

Judge Hitchcock's political views were accordance with the national republican party, in its day, and subsequently he was an uncompromising whig and a great admirer and supporter of Mr. Clay. On the subject of slavery, while he denounced the system on principle, in the abstract, he felt compelled to adopt in practice, so far as he required domestic servants.

Judge Hitchcock's personal appearance was prepossessing — of fair complexion, middle size, erect, stoutly but compactly built, with an aquiline nose, determined mouth and piercing eye. It wanted but his quick and energetic movement to make him a marked and felt man wherever he went. Though, in general, rather expressive of decision, not to say sternness in manner, among his friends, particularly in the company of ladies, he was courtly and winning. A bust of him was procured by his friends, taken from life, and is now exhibited among the distinguished citizens of the country, at Fowler and Wells' collection in New York.

The writer of this imperfect sketch, who enjoyed the intimacy of his departed friend in early years, continued by an uninterrupted correspondence of 23 years, and extending even beyond the limits of his friend's life (the last letter having been received after his decease), will not forego the expression of this parting tribute — the grave has seldom closed over the remains of a higher intellect, a nobler spirit, a more unselfish heart, a more affectionate husband, father and son, or a truer friend.

 

 

THOMAS CHAMBERLAIN, M. D.

 

[From the Family.]

 

Thomas Chamberlain was born in Topsham, September 23, 1792, and began the practice of his profession in Fairfield, about 1820. In 1822 he was married to Orissa Willmarth Barlow, who died March 24, 1825. They had one child, Orissa Barlow Chamberlain, who was born March 22, 1825, and now resides in Burlington, and is the wife of Brush M. Webb, the present town clerk. Dr. Chamberlain removed to and settled in Burlington in 1825, and resided there until his decease. He was married again, April 24, 1828, to Nancy Hyde Corning. She died Sept. 4, 1854, of typhoid fever. She was a lady of great excellence and was held in high esteem by all who knew her. They had one child, Cornelia Van Ness Chamberlain, who was born Feb. 20, 1830, and married June 17, 1851, to Levi Underwood, who was Lt. Governor of this state in 1860 and 1861. Dr. Chamberlain was a successful and skillful physician and surgeon and continued to practice in his profession until about 1840, when he retired. He died of typhoid fever, Nov. 29, 1854.

 

 

TIMOTHY FOLLETT.

 

BY LOUIS FOLLETT.

 

Timothy Follett was born at Bennington, Jan. 5, 1793. He was descended, on the maternal side, from the family of Fay, a grandson of John Fay, who was killed at the battle of Bennington, Aug. 16, 1777. John Fay was, at the time of his death, chairman of the committee of safety, and with his brothers Jonas, Joseph and David, an active patriot during the American revolution, and deeply engaged in the controversy between the colony of New York and the Green Mountain Boys.

At the age of ten years, by the death of his father, he was left, with two sisters, to the care of a widowed mother with but slender means, and who, to educate her children, removed to Burlington. In 1806 he entered upon a course of collegiate studies at the University of Vermont, and was admitted to a baccalaureate degree August 1, 1810. Immediately after his graduation he entered the office of his brother-in-law, the late Hon. Wm. A. Griswold, an attorney at Danville, where he remained, with trifling intermissions, until June, 1812, when, through the kind aid of Eleazer H. Deming, another brother-in-law, a merchant residing at Burlington, he was provided with funds sufficient to enable him to pass through a course of law lectures at the school of Judges Reeve and Gould at Litchfield, Conn.

 

 

 

                                                     BURLINGTON.                                          637

 

Returning to Burlington, after an absence of some fifteen months at Litchfield, he was admitted to the bar of the county court in Chittenden, February, 1814, and entered upon the practice of his profession. For two years a lean support was, with great difficulty and under a system of the most rigid economy, obtained, when by the favorable change in professional business, consequent upon the establishment of peace with Great Britain, a more lucrative field was opened.

Ardently devoted to the profession he had chosen, he pursued it diligently, securing a success quite equal to his expectation, and a reputation satisfactory to his friends. In December, 1819, he was appointed, by Judges Doolittle and Brayton of the supreme court, to the office of state's attorney, then vacant by the death of Sanford Gadcomb, Esq., and elected to the same office by the legislatures of 1820, '21, and '22. In 1823, elected judge of the county court, his professional life continued until a pulmonary complaint threatening him, he abandoned the practice of the law to engage in mercantile pursuits.

Purchasing an interest in the premises now known as the south wharf property, he became a partner with the late Henry Mayo in the mercantile business in 1823, though not giving it his personal attention until the following year, and found in the firm establishment of his health, which speedily followed change of occupation, a happy realization of his hopes.

In 1830 he was elected to represent Burlington in the state legislature, and again in 1831 and '32.

In 1832 the great mercantile house of Horatio Gates & Co., at Montreal, by sudden reverses and the death of two of its principal partners, became insolvent. Mr. Follett was appointed acting trustee for the final settlement of its affairs. The business of this house had become immensely large, extending into many of the countries of Europe and through much of the mercantile portion of the United States and the British North American provinces, and from 1832 to 1841 his time and efforts were almost exclusively devoted to the settlement of this estate. From admitted bankruptcy, with a very large apparent deficiency in means available, it was made, through skillful management of its affairs, to pay nearly its entire indebtedness.

In 1841 he returned to Burlington, where his family had remained during his residence at Montreal, and as senior partner of the firm of Follett and Bradley engaged actively in mercantile business.

In 1845 the subject of a railroad connection with Boston was presented to the public and pronounced a wild and chimerical project by more than one wise head now living; men, however, were found to advocate its feasibility, and lend their aid to insure its final success. The route now known as the Rutland and Burlington secured in Mr. Follett an early friend and persistent advocate, who, believing that the public interests demanded the connection contemplated and, satisfied of the feasibility of the enterprise, resolved to devote himself to the furtherance of the great work, and contribute so far as his means and ability permitted, to its early completion. Elected president of the corporation in 1845 he abandoned his mercantile pursuits and commenced the discharge of the arduous duties which he had assumed. To overcome the seemingly insurmountable obstacles which constantly presented themselves; to secure the aid and cooperation of men of influence to induce capitalists to invest their funds in an enterprise demanding so large an outlay, and so uncertain in its results as a railroad through Vermont seemed likely to be required abilities of no common order, and the success which crowned his efforts warrant the assertion that Mr. Follett proved himself to be the right man in the right place. A sufficient amount of stock having been secured to justify the commencement of the work, it was put under contract, and in December, 1849, was opened to the public — a train of cars passing over its entire line from Boston to Burlington in that month. From the period of its first organization, in 1845, to the final completion of the road, Mr. Follett retained the presidency of the corporation, and was sole constructing agent until January, 1852, when he resigned his office and surrendered the trusts which the corporation had confided to his care. With this retirement terminated his public career.

He died Oct. 12, 1857. His life was one of usefulness, and his character for strict integrity, for honorable intention in all his dealings, for devotedness and fidelity to every interest entrusted to him, firmly established.

 

 

 

638                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

 

HARRY BRADLEY

 

[From the Family.]

 

The first we know of the immediate ancestors of Mr. Bradley, in connection with the State of Vermont, his grandfather, Capt. Joseph Bradley, in 1766, removed from Guilford, Conn., to Bennington county and settled at Sunderland. He, with his son Lemuel, the father of Harry, March 29, 1772, led the party who rescued Remember Baker from Munro. He represented Sunderland at the Convention at Dorset in 1776, where the organization of Vermont was determined upon, and was the first representative sent from the town of Sunderland to the first, legislature held in the State.

Lemuel Bradley was born at Guilford, Conn., February, 1750; removed with his father to Sunderland, and in 1775 came to Burlington to settle. He purchased a tract of land on Winooski river, under a title from the N. H. grants. The broad bend below the town, for many years known as the Bradley bend, was a part of this tract. He was sent as representative of Burlington to the convention at Dorset in 1776. A band of French and Indians came suddenly upon him, burnt his house, destroyed his furniture, and he fled to the hill above, where he was compelled to see them bring out his bed, cut it open, and amuse themselves in scattering the feathers to the winds; then smashing a set of china, which he valued greatly — homeless, disappointed, the war at that time breaking out, he concluded to return to the more settled southern part of the State.

In 1777 we find him enlisting under Col. Warner, acting as aid to Gen. Stark at the battle of Bennington, and at the battle of Hubbardton. Serving in the capacity of private, lieutenant, captain, and major under Col. Seth Warner, and in Col. Herrick's regiment of rangers; on duty at different times during the years 1777, '78, '79, '80, '81 and '82, as the necessities of the times demanded. In January, 1792, he married Mercy, the daughter of Abisha Washburn, by whom he had six children.

Harry Bradley, eldest son and third child of Lemuel and Mercy Bradley, was born at Sunderland, March 23, 1793, his father dying when he was but seven years of age, leaving a young and helpless family. His mother, a woman of uncommon energy and ability, in a few years married Col. Eli Brownson, the same Lieut. Brownson who, on the death of Capt. Comstock, at the battle of Bennington, led on his company to action.

Col. Brownson, though a wealthy man, had a family of children of his own, which made it necessary for young Bradley to, while a mere boy, commence life for himself.

At the age of fourteen he came to Burlington and commenced work under Horace Loomis, Esq., to learn the business of tanner and currier. He remained with Mr. Loomis until he was 20 years of age, when he formed a partnership with Luther Loomis, his brother-in-law, and removed to Williston, where he carried on the same business 10 years. He married, in 1817, Maria Miller, youngest child of Judge Solomon Miller.

In 1827 he gave up business in Williston and returned to Burlington, and again entered into partnership with Luther Loomis. While at Williston he took an active part in public affairs, twice representing the town at the legislature. On his removal to Burlington he was active in both town and state affairs, representing the town a number of times, after which he was elected to the state senate.

He was one of the originators of the Farmers and Mechanics' Bank, and afterwards of the Commercial Bank, of which bank he was the first president. He was for many years a director in the United States Branch Bank at Burlington, and president of the Rutland and Burlington railroad for two years.

He was for many years engaged in a wholesale mercantile business at the lake, also carrying on a large lumber business at Essex, and was one of the greatest sufferers in the losses which befel our business community in the woolen factory at Winooski Falls. Perhaps no man amongst us for 30 years was more intimately connected with all the leading business and political interests at Burlington than Harry Bradley. He died at Burlington, April 7, 1857, aged 64 years.

The following is a notice of him, written soon after his death, by President Wheeler:

 

"THE LATE HARRY BRADLEY, ESQ.

 

The name of Harry Bradley, Esq. has been so long identified with the interests of our village, that his sudden and unexpected death seems to create a sad and fearful chasm in the midst of us. And his long and active service,

 

 

 

                                                     BURLINGTON.                                          639

 

in the political organizations of the state, has made his name familiar, in all parts of it, and also in some of the high places of the nation. He was born in Sunderland in this state, and came into this town some half a century since. Before its commercial relations were established and while its business was in a forming state, he entered with vigorous activity into the duties of apprenticeship, to Horace Loomis, Esq. He there aided in carrying out and stamping upon the extensive and influential business of his employer, that promptness, energy and activity, which has ever characterized it. This was done with such vigor and integrity, that before his majority he was solicited to enter into business with Luther Loomis, Esq., at Williston, and with this he complied. His energy, activity, and power over other persons made him eminently successful. Having acquired in a few years by his industry, what was then an independent fortune, he was urged and finally entered into a large commercial business in this place. Since then his time and labor has, with the exception of a short business residence in New York, been spent exclusively among us. The very energy and activity that gave him so much influence, and served to set so many and such various things in motion about him, made him at times too sanguine in his expectations; and as few could keep pace with him, in the variety and extent of his plans and in the rapidity of their execution, he often found himself disappointed, and then embarrassed. As he could not do everything himself he must trust to others, and as others could not put on his earnest and constant zeal, failure was more or less the consequence. He was ever awake to increase the business and forward the prosperity of Burlington. His losses in attempting to commence the manufacture of woolens at Winooski Falls, were little less than $50,000. And in his subsequent efforts to retrieve these in New York, his schemes were disastrously broken up by the visitation of Providence, in the coming of the cholera. His comprehensive and ardent mind, and his restless activity, made it difficult to wait upon the slow but secure steps of others, and often pressed him beyond that prudence which nature prescribes as the ground of unfailing success.

His energy and activity naturally pointed him out, as a man singularly fitted for carrying out the measures and accomplishing the ends of political parties. He was long the Chairman of the Whig State Committee of Vermont. His services were highly appreciated by the party not only in this state, but by some of the principal men in the nation, with whom he held correspondence on such matters. Webster, Clay and President Fillmore were among them. His political opinions, though of an earnest and forceful kind, were both national and conservative.

While narrow and short-sighted views, limited by the range of his individual vision, might have been anticipated because of his personal earnestness and activity, he was in reality wise, considerate, and comprehensive in his political notions, however zealous he might be in realizing them.

His heart and house were always open to his friends; and his mind and hands were ready for their service. This cheerful activity for others made him an affectionate and indulgent husband and father, and an agreeable and disinterested friend and neighbor. His sudden and unexpected decease filled the hearts of all with sadness and astonishment. It was a "visitation of God," speaking to all and saying. "Watch; for in such an hour as ye think not, the Son of Man cometh."

 

 

JAMES VAN SICKLIN, M. D.

 

[From the Family.]

 

James Van Sicklin, M. D., son of John Van Sicklin, who settled in Burlington in 1778, and brother of the present Judge Van Sicklin of Burlington, was born 22d Sept., 1793. In May, 1815, he commenced the study of medicine in the office of Dr. John Pomeroy of this place, continuing with the Doctor till January, 1816, when he went to Castleton to complete his studies with Drs. Woodward, Gridley and Cazier, where he remained till the June following (1818), when he returned and was married to Miss Sarah Jones. They had children, James P., who now resides in Buffalo, N. Y., and a daughter, also living. Immediately after his marriage the Doctor removed to Barre, this state, and commenced the practice of medicine and surgery. He soon obtained a large practice, but preferring his native place returned thither. He returned with bright hopes, but his health soon became impaired, and he died at the early age of 38 years. He held, however, notwithstanding his feeble health, his full

 

 

 

640                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

share of practice in the vicinity till his last sickness. Mrs. Van Sicklin died in 1839.

 

 

PHILO DOOLITTLE.

 

BY MRS. CATHERINE E. DOOLITTLE.

 

When a good man is removed from the scenes and society of earth, and from the tender offices of human friendship and love, to his rest in the paradise of the blessed, the mournful satisfaction of testifying to his goodness, and of cherishing the memory of his virtues, remains for the sorrowing ones who are left behind. It is thought the following biographic sketch of Mr. Doolittle, and of that blameless private life which made his death a public calamity, will be acceptable, not only to those who enjoyed his personal friendship and love, but also to all who value the records of the good, and the blessed memory of the just.

Philo Doolittle was born in the town of Wallingford, Conn., October 1, 1793. He was the son of Theophilus Doolittle, who was descended from Abraham Doolittle, who came to America from England in the year 1640, and settled in New Haven, Conn., and removed to Wallingford in the autumn of 1669. The descendants of Abraham Doolittle, in the line of Philo Doolittle, were Theophilus 1st, Theophilus 2d, Solomon, Theophilus 3d, and Philo. Of Abraham Doolittle and his descendants the old town records of New Haven and Wallingford testify that all were active men in the church and town, and many of them held important offices. Abiah Atwater (the maiden name of the mother of Philo Doolittle) was the fourth in descent from David Atwater, who was also one of the first founders of New Haven. Philo Doolittle therefore, on father's and mother's side, stood in the fifth degree from the original founders of that colony.

When three or four years of age, the subject of this memoir removed with his parents to Vermont, in which state he resided during the remainder of his life. At the early age of little more than ten years, he was summoned to the bedside of his dying father, and received from him, as the eldest son, the solemn and responsible charge to be henceforth, so far as he should be able, the comfort and support of his mother, and the father of the bereaved family. This injunction the son tenderly remembered through his whole life, and faithfully fulfilled, when more mature years had qualified him for the sacred tasks.

Deprived of their guardian and protector by his early death, the widowed mother and her four young children were thrown unprovided for upon the world. But God remembered them. Philo, the eldest son, found in the hospitable dwelling of Judge Lemuel Bottom of Williston, Vt., a kind home, and paternal care for many subsequent years. — With this family he sustained the most filial relations, and of their unvarying kindness he cherished during his life a grateful remembrance. Here the days of his youth passed pleasantly. In the summer seasons he was employed in the various light labors of the farm, and in the winter months enjoyed such advantages of education as were commonly given to the sons and daughters of our substantial farmers. In after years, upon this humble foundation of a common school education, he reared by the efforts of his own active and accurate mind, a fair superstructure of much varied and practical knowledge.

In the year 1808, his kind benefactor, Judge Bottom, requested him to choose the occupation of his future life, leaving it optional with himself to continue his connection with the agricultural pursuits of the farm (with kind assurances of aid and advancement should he remain), or to remove to an eligible situation which at that time presented itself, where he might be educated for mercantile pursuits. He chose the latter course, and at the age of fifteen years entered upon the duties of a clerkship in the employment of E. T. Englesby, Esq., a merchant in Burlington, in which situation he remained until he attained the age of twenty-one years. In 1815, Mr Doolittle first engaged in business upon his own account, in partnership with Henry Mayo, Esq., and entered upon that career of industry, probity and enterprise which secured for him, under the blessing of Providence, a reasonable measure of success in life. In 1822, this copartnership was dissolved; and from that time until the close of his mercantile life, which occurred in 1852, Mr. Doolittle conducted his business without a partner, with the exception of the years from '43 to '47, when his son, Mr. H. H. Doolittle, was associated with him.

Mr. Doolittle's connection with the interests of navigation on Lake Champlain com-

 

 

 

                                                     BURLINGTON.                                          641

 

menced with the formation of the Champlain Ferry Company, which was chartered by the Legislature of Vermont, November 18, 1824, of which he was one of the original corporators. November 29, 1824, he was chosen one of the first directors of the company, and in 1825, elected clerk and treasurer of the same, in place of Andrew Thompson, Esq., resigned. These appointments he held until the Ferry Company was incorporated with the Champlain Transportation Company of January 24, 1835.

October 26, 1826, the Champlain Transportation Company was organized, of which Mr. Doolittle was one of the original stockholders. November 10, 1826, he was chosen a director and appointed clerk and treasurer of the company. February 23, 1827, in consequence of the building of the steamer Franklin, at St. Albans, it was found convenient to remove the books of the company to that place, and Mr. Doolittle resigned the clerk and treasurership, which was transferred to the hands of Hon. Lawrence Brainard of St. Albans. January 31, 1828, the Franklin being completed, Mr. Doolittle was reinstated in these offices and retained them during the remainder of his life. Subsequently he was solicited to undertake the general agency of the "North and South Through Line" of railroads and steamers running from Rouse's Point to Troy, N. Y., and although, on account of his advancing years and declining health, he accepted the appointment with reluctance, its arduous duties he discharged, so long as he lived, with the fidelity, efficiency and courtesy which always distinguished him, and which closely identified him with the traveling and commercial interests along these routes.

March 22, 1827, Mr. Doolittle was chosen one of the Board of Directors of the Bank of Burlington, by a unanimous vote, and January 29, 1849, unanimously elected President of that Board, in place of E. T. Englesby, Esq., resigned. By his connection with this institution, which continued uninterruptedly during his life, or for 35 years, Mr. Doolittle has become more generally known perhaps, to the business men of this vicinity than in any other way, — and we cannot in any way so accurately express the estimation which those associated with him in these relations place upon his character, or so clearly exhibit his position and standing as a business man, as by quoting from the resolutions adopted by the Board of Directors of that Bank in reference to his decease:

 

"Our late President, Philo Doolittle, Esq., having been suddenly and unexpectedly taken from us by death since the last weekly meeting of our Board, whereby we are saddened to-day by the sight of his vacant chair and a sorrowful sense of the loss that has befallen ourselves personally, and the institution over which he has so long and ably presided therefore

"Resolved, That in the death of Mr. Doolittle we feel that we have lost one who by the transparent kindness of heart and uniform urbanity of manner with which he ever presided over our deliberations; by his unswerving honesty and integrity of purpose, and his high sense of honor in all our business transactions; by the wisdom and prudence of his counsels and his unwearying attentiveness to his duties, had won our profound esteem and our most affectionate and sincere regard.

"Resolved, That the Bank of Burlington in thus losing one who has been a Director at its Board for thirty-five years past, and its President for the last thirteen, has lost an officer to whom it is largely indebted for its long course of prosperity, and whose labors and services in its behalf should be held in grateful remembrance.

"Resolved, That as a mark of respect to the memory of the deceased, and as a token of our regard for him, we will attend his burial on Friday next.

"Bank of Burlington, Jan'y 23d, 1862."

 

July 11, 1820, Mr. Doolittle was united in marriage with Harriet E. Hayes, daughter of Newton Hayes, Esq., then a resident of Burlington, now of Staten Island, N.Y. Aug. 1, '37, Mrs. Doolittle was removed by death. One son (H. H. Doolittle of Burlington), and one daughter (Mrs. J. S. Gould of Chicago, Ill.), were the offspring of this marriage. July 10, 1839, Mr. Doolittle was united in marriage with Eliza C. Hayes, sister of his former wife, who died November 11, 1843, leaving one daughter, H. C. Doolittle. September 16, 1846, Mr. Doolittle was united in marriage with Catherine Esther, daughter of the late Reuben Brush, Esq., of Vergennes, and granddaughter of Col. Nathaniel Brush, late of Bennington. Of the subject of this memoir it may be truly said that in the social and

 

 

 

642                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

domestic relations of life he appeared almost without a fault. Confiding frankness and unaffected kindness characterized all his intercourse with his friends. One who has known him in the intimacy of the family circle, thus writes: "I remember well my last visit at his house and the more than usual warmth and kindness of Mr. Doolittle's manner towards me, his quiet cheerfulness through the day and those pleasant evenings at the fireside where he displayed to such advantage his delightful home qualities." — Another friend thus writes of him: "I have passed many happy hours with him, in the most familiar intercourse, and never in those unrestrained moments have I heard him give utterance to a thought or sentiment which he would wish recalled, not one uncharitable or unkind word did he ever utter in the hours so passed." Never did the recital of the sorrows of others fail to call forth the tender sympathies of his heart; his kindness towards all who in circumstances of blameless suffering or want applied to him for aid, was most consoling. In his estimate of the motives and conduct of others he exercised a generous forbearance, carefully avoiding anything akin to detraction in his conversation, and always manifesting the most unaffected humility in his deportment.

Mr. Doolittle made a public profession of his faith in Christ, Jan. 24, 1841, and was confirmed by Bishop Hopkins, in the communion of the Episcopal church. In this faith he continued steadfast, and was an officer of St. Paul's church for many years. — With feelings of humble and devout gratitude for the grace given him, we quote the following resolutions, passed by the Vestry of St. Paul's church, at a meeting held Jan. 21, 1862:

 

"Whereas, it has pleased Almighty God, by a sudden visitation of his hand to remove from us our honored and beloved associate in the Vestry of St. Paul's church, Philo Doolittle, Esq.; therefore be it Resolved, That we bow with reverent submission to the will of our Heavenly Father, in this sudden and most afflictive dispensation; and feeling that we personally, and the church and our whole community have met with a great loss, we desire to mingle our tears with those of the bereaved widow and family, and respectfully tender to them our kindest sympathy.

"Resolved, That we cherish with deep respect and affection the memory of our departed friend, as an upright and godly man, sound in judgment and gentle in heart, a wise counsellor and a true and affectionate friend, most faithful in the important trusts of life which were committed to him, and most kindly in all the relations of friendship and neighborhood.

"Resolved, That we feel that our parish has lost from its outward communion a most valuable officer and member, one whose wise counsels and generous gifts, and above all, whose consistent and blameless christian example and constant and unobtrusive ministries to the poor, made him a blessing and an ornament to the church which he loved, and in whose faith he lived and died.

"Resolved, That in testimony of our respect for our departed friend we will attend his funeral in a body, and wear the usual badge of mourning for thirty days."

Although for many years Mr. Doolittle had felt increasingly the infirmities of age, he continued his industrious and active habits of life until the very day when the summons came which called him hence. In a moment, from apparently comfortable health he was stricken down, by paralysis, into helpless unconsciousness, and in this state he passed gently away from earth January 19, 1862. Apprehensions of an attack of this nature had for several years oppressed his mind with sad forebodings of sudden death. Yet even these were not sufficient to disturb for any great length of time the equanimity of his feelings, or to subdue the cheerfulness of his heart. He had prepared himself for his Master's summons, and when it came we believe it found him ready.

We will close this brief sketch with the following touching tribute from the pen of his pastor, Rev. D. H. Buel:

 

"Since we last assembled here on the Lord's day, one of our number who, two weeks ago, worshiped with us, has fallen asleep in Jesus. One of the oldest officers and members of our church, who justly stood so high in the affectionate respect of this parish and of our whole community that it is eminently proper for use to follow the dictates of my heart and pay a tribute to his memory in this sacred place.

"He was one of the noblest and fairest pillars of our church and of society. He belonged to that class of men, too rare at the

 

 

 

                                                     BURLINGTON.                                          643

 

present day, who unfortunately for our country are now regarded as relics of the better days of the republic. A man whose integrity was like pure gold without the least alloy of worldly intrigue; whose honesty of character was as transparent as the light, and whose kindly and sympathizing heart responded quickly to all the claims of neighborhood and humanity. Blessed also with a clear and well balanced mind and with an even temper and the gentlest manners, it is no wonder that, notwithstanding his singular modesty, he was called to fill, during a great part of his life many important and responsible trusts in society; and the faintest thought probably never crossed any man's mind that Philo Doolittle could fulfill those trusts otherwise than with the most scrupulous fidelity.

"In all the intercourse of friendship and courtesy he was one of the kindest of men. Above all he was an earnest and consistent Christian, constant to the utmost of his ability in devoutly attending upon all the holy duties of the house of God. Ever ready and glad generously to do his part in maintaining the ministrations of the church and advancing the interests of Christ's kingdom. The kind friend of the poor, constantly ministering to them in the spirit of our Heavenly Master's injunction — "Let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth," the blessing of him that was ready to perish came upon our departed brother. — His life admirably exemplified St. Paul's beautiful description of the chiefest of all the christian graces — "Charity suffereth long and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things."

"As our venerated brother advanced in years he seemed to grow in zealous love for all the duties — public and private — of the christian life, and in cheerful readiness to do his part in the work of the church of Christ. The life of such a member of his flock the christian pastor must feel to be the strongest possible support and encouragement of his ministry. It enforces every earnest appeal and summons to a christian life which emanates from the pulpit, and it commends the gospel to the hearts of men."

 

 

MEMOIR OF RICHARD G. COLE, ESQ.

 

From a commemorative discourse by the REV. D. H. BUET.

 

Richard Goldsmith Cole was born in the town of Rindge, in Cheshire county, New Hampshire, on the seventh day of November, 1795. At the age of six years he was takers to the house of his uncle, in Cambridgeport, near Boston, where he was brought up. This change of residence had a very important influence upon his whole subsequent life. In his new home and yet in his childhood, he formed the attachment which ripened into the sacred relation that rendered his domestic life peculiarly happy; cheering and supporting him in all his duties and trials, and at last tenderly soothing his passage to a better home. In this seat of high cultivation and refinement he acquired also the literary tastes and sympathies which he carried with him through life, and which imparted to him a degree of intellectual culture and freshness not often found in men of business whose early advantages of education have been very limited. At the age of fourteen years he was taken by his uncle into his store and bred to the business of a merchant. He followed this pursuit for many years, in Cambridgeport, New York, and in Troy. In the year 1826, he was made an officer in the bank of Troy and remained in that capacity six years, until he was invited to the position which he has ever since held in Burlington. In Troy, my native city, I know that he left behind him an honorable name and a pleasant memory.

When Mr. Cole came to Burlington in 1832, he was in the full vigor of manhood, and to the interests of this community, and of the church in this place he has devoted the best part of his life. The universal respect and affection in which his memory is held, testify that that life was well spent. As a bank officer and business man, the name of Mr. Cole was the symbol of inflexible integrity. His name and presence contributed much to inspire in the community universal confidence in the Institution of which he was an important officer. The directors and proprietors of the bank have attested their high appreciation of the faithfulness and ability with which he guarded and advanced their interests, and the testimony of our people is that with impartial fidelity he ever aimed to use the power of the Institution to aid worthy men in their honest enterprises, and to advance

 

 

 

644                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

the best interests of the community in which it was located.

One year after Mr. Cole came to Burlington, he was confirmed and became a communicant of the Episcopal church. He had long been a warmly attached attendant upon its services, and while in Troy had zealously contributed his fine musical powers to conduct the music of St. Paul's Church. But by the steps he took in this holy house just 31 years ago, he became an avowed servant of Christ. He was then in the fullness of the strength of manhood, just 38 years of age, and with the prospect of a long and prosperous and happy life before him. With the deliberate conviction, and firm resolution, and the earnestness of soul and the humility, which ever characterized the man, he consecrated himself to the service of his heavenly Master and Saviour, and his whole life attests the sincerity of the consecration. It was the devotion, of soul and body, of time and substance, of worldly position and influence, the devotion of his whole heart and life to the honor and service of his divine Redeemer. The Vestry of this parish have truly said of him that he was a pillar of strength and a praise and a blessing to our church.

The simple recital of the responsible and honorable trusts which he has held in the church, and to most of which he was annually chosen, shows the reliance that was placed on him and the high estimation in which he was held. For 30 years he has been a vestryman of St. Paul's Church, and for the last 17 years its Senior Warden; and for 18 years has been the treasurer of the parish. Since 1840 he has been a delegate to the annual Diocesan Convention, and in 1844 and 1853 he was a delegate from Vermont in the General Convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States. For 12 years he has been a member of the Standing Committee of the Diocese; and since 1856 has been a trustee of the Vermont Episcopal Institute, and the treasurer of that corporation.

He has also for some years been a member of the Board of Land Agents. In all these positions his soundness of judgment, the wisdom of his counsels, his integrity, and firmness of principle, his skill in business, and his uniform kindness and courtesy, made him a very valuable officer, and a most congenial associate. Office was no sinecure to him; not honor or profit, but duty, was always his watchword. He was a faithful servant in all the trusts confided to him. Within the last few weeks, although very feeble in health, he has several times encountered the inclemency of the weather on a winter's evening, or the exposure of a cold ride, that he might be at his post and discharge his duty as a member of the Standing Committee, and a Trustee of the Institute.

But I must not forget to speak of another very important and useful position which Mr. Cole filled in this parish. For 25 years he was the leader of the music of the Church. He possessed admirable musical powers; a thorough knowledge of music, excellent, taste and judgment, a fine ear and a voice of uncommon richness and power. Moreover he truly appreciated the proper character of the music which is suited to the house of God, and adapted to the services of our church. Sacred music was his delight and he devoted a large amount of time and effort to the advancement of the music of the church from the purest and highest. motives; because he loved God, and delighted in His holy house, and esteemed it a blessed duty and privilege to contribute of the fine gifts which God had bestowed on him for the beautifying of his worship.

But were I to speak of all the services of our venerated brother in the cause of Christ and His church I should have to go through the whole circle of his life; for in all that he was and had, and in all the relations which he sustained, he was a faithful servant of his heavenly Master. He used his worldly substance as a steward of God, regarding it as a trust committed to him by God, for which he must account to Him. Accordingly he expended it with conscientious and generous liberality for the advancement of Christ's kingdom, and for the good of his fellowmen. He was not a wealthy man, yet no one ever gave more largely than he to the maintenance of the church in this parish, and in the same spirit he contributed to every other good object that justly claimed his sympathy and aid.

Our brother was an humble, earnest, intelligent and hearty Christian. He served his heavenly Master amid his daily business, and in all the hourly duties and charities of the christian life, and he delighted in the holy services of God's house. None more constant than he; and none more reverent and fervent

 

 

 

                                                     BURLINGTON.                                          645

 

at all our solemnities. Not only on the Lord's day but also whenever he could, during the week, he participated in all our appointed services. I am sure that the bishop and former pastor of this flock, whom our brother ever truly loved and venerated, will witness that he always found him a firm friend and judicious counsellor, and ready co-worker in all his pastoral work. Such has this dear christian father and friend ever been to me, during the seven years of my pastoral care of this flock.

Mr. Cole was an intelligent and firm Churchman, not only adhering to the Episcopal church from preference and earnest affection, but also from conscientious approval of its distinctive principles and practices, as being in accordance with the word of God, and the practice of the primitive church, and as being conducive to christian edification. Yet he always treated his brethren of other denominations with the utmost christian kindness and courtesy, and he gladly cooperated with them in many works of christian benevolence. The noble, manly form of our revered brother, and his bright, open countenance were but the outward signs of the large and warm and kindly heart which that form enshrined, He loved God and man. The poor on all sides were the constant recipients of his thoughtful kindness. He was the friend and protector of the widow and the fatherless; and he dispensed his kindness to the needy in the most considerate way; not only seeking to relieve their pressing wants, but studying also their improvement and gratification. His house was ever the abode of the most generous and kindly hospitality, and there, in his home, he shone with peculiar grace; the humble Christian, the courteous christian gentleman, the true friend, the intelligent, cultivated and genial companion. I may not here proceed and speak freely of the closer relations of that peaceful and refined christian home. Its precious memories are treasured in the hearts of its inmates, and especially in her heart who through all the useful and beautiful life of our friend was his efficient helper and comforter, and they will ever be a fountain of sad, sweet delight.

He died as he lived. In the intervals of consciousness he joined with us in prayer with his wonted reverence and earnestness; and the same sweet dignity, and gentleness of spirit, and kind consideration for others, marked  his last days which had characterized his previous life, and on the evening of the Lord's day, December 18, 1864, he fell asleep in Jesus as gently as a child sinks to rest on its mother's breast.

 

 

HON. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN BAILEY.

 

BY GEORGE F. HOUGHTON, ESQ.

 

Benjamin Franklin Bailey, a distinguished lawyer of the Chittenden County Bar, was born in Guildhall, Essex Co., Vt., in 1796. Circumstances compelled him to earn his own livelihood in early youth in New Hampshire. He returned to Vermont and labored at Peacham, and at the Academy there fitted himself for college. He was graduated at the University of Vermont, in 1818, in a class of which Jacob Maeck, Esq. is a survivor. During the vacation of his collegiate course he taught school, and in Grand Isle became acquainted with the lady who, in after years, united her fortune with his. Immediately after his graduation he was appointed tutor in the University of Vermont, in which position he was succeeded, in 1819, by the late Hon. George Bradford Shaw. He studied law at Burlington in the office of Griswold & Follett, and was admitted to practice.

A. D. 1821. He rose rapidly in his profession and was appointed State attorney for the county of Chittenden in the years 1823, '24, '25, and '26. He wrote a series of spicy political articles for the Burlington Sentinel in favor of Hon. Cornelius P. Van Ness for U. S. Senator, under the odd and inelegant signature of Simon Squizzle. From the year 1825 to 1829, both inclusive, he ably represented the town of Burlington in the General Assembly. He usually served on the Judiciary Committee, having among other associates on committee Robert B. Bates of Middlebury, James Bell of Walden, Seth Cushman of Guildhall, Jacob Collamer of Royalton, Samuel Elliott of Brattleboro, and William Upham of Montpelier. In 1827 he was associated with William Hall of Rockingham, Jacob Collamer of Royalton, Ephraim Paddock of St. Johnsbury, and Charles Kilborn Williams of Rutland, as Commissioners for Common Schools; and was for four successive years reelected to said office by the General Assembly. After Mr. Bailey had been in practice awhile, the Hon. Geo. Perkins Marsh came to Burlington from Woodstock and entered into copartnership with him.

 

 

 

646                              VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

under the name and style of Bailey & Marsh, which partnership was continued until Mr. Bailey's death at Burlington on May 23, 1832.

Mr. Bailey's peculiar talents as a lawyer consisted in his easy address and ability as a jury advocate. He was an earnest, fluent and forcible speaker as well to the court as to the jury, and his success in business was commensurate with his industry and talents. At the time of his death he was the candidate of the democratic party for Congress in opposition to the late Heman Allen and Truman Galusha.

In June, 1822, he was married to Catharine F. Hyde, of Grand Isle, daughter of the late Jedediah Hyde, Esq., who survives him with their two children, Marcia, wife of Louis Follett, Esq., of Burlington, and George Franklin Bailey, Esq., an attorney who is practicing his profession with ability and success at Chicago, Ill., where the widow now resides.

Soon after the decease of Mr. Bailey. the Burlington Sentinel contained an obituary notice of his death of which the following is an extract: "The prominent stations occupied by Mr. Bailey as a member of the bar, attorney of the county, and representative of Burlington in the State Legislature, and the talents and devotion to his trusts displayed by him as an advocate and public officer, strongly attached to him the confidence and respect of the community, and give poignancy to its unavailing regrets at the early and afflictive termination of his life, at a moment when the anticipations of his friends as to his future and more extensive usefulness were full of brightness and promise. In his private relations few men have exhibited more amiable dispositions or contributed more largely to the happiness of those to whom those relalations were sustained. Possessing a heart warmed with sympathies which shed the kindliest presence on the domestic and social circles as a brother, a husband, a neighbor, and friend, few men practiced with more assiduity the charities which enshrine those names in the memory of bereaved affection. Though taken away "in the midst of life," yet his friends have the rich consolation that to the eye of Christian faith and charity his last days were his best days, for, through Divine Grace, he was enabled to lay hold of the hopes of the Gospel, and in humble reliance upon the merits of his Redeemer, to commit his soul to a faithful Creator.

 

 

REV. ZADOCK THOMPSON.

 

BY REV. P. H. WHITE, OF COVENTRY.

 

[From the Historical Magazine, Vol. III., No. 20.]

 

Zadock Thompson was the second son of Capt. Barnabas Thompson of Bridgewater, Vt., where he was born May 23, 1796. His father was a farmer, but Zadock gave early evidence that he preferred study to manual labor. It was not, however, till he was near­ly twelve years old that he was able to de­vote much attention to books. A severe wound, which nearly occasioned his death, confined him to the house for a long time and gave him leisure for study. The Rev. Walter Chapin, of Woodstock, took notice of his aptitude for study, received him into his own family, and assisted him in procuring an education. In 1819 he entered the University of Vermont and was graduated with honor in 1823, at the age of twenty-seven years. He married, Sept. 4, 1824, Phebe Boyce.

His career as an author commenced with the preparation of an almanac for 1819. He subsequently made astronomical calculations for a series of Vermont Registers, published at Burlington, and for the thirty-four years preceding his death he made similar calculations for Walton's Vermont Register. These Registers embody a large amount of information respecting Vermont not elsewhere attainable. In 1824 he published his "Gazetteer of Vermont," a duodecimo of 312 pages. It was a work of great labor and extensive research. To gather materials for it he visited almost every town in the state, and by the examination of records and conversation with the oldest inhabitants, gathered a large mass of valuable facts, very many of which, but for him, would have gone into forgetfulness.

In 1825 he was chosen a tutor in the University of Vermont. During the same year was published his "Youth's Assistant in Theoretical and Practical Arithmetic," pp. 164, 8 vo. In 1828 he edited a Magazine entitled "The Iris and Burlington Literary Gazette," and in 1832, "The Green Mountain Repository," both of them published at Burlington. In 1833 he removed to Hatley, C. E., where, and in Sherbrooke, he was diligent in teaching and in writing a Geography of Canada, which was well received and passed