VHG Jericho, Chittenden County, Vt.

 

 

 

JERICHO. 829

 

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

 

 

JERICHO.

 

BY GEORGE LEE LYMAN, M. D.*

 

Chartered by Gov. Wentworth, June 7, 1763, to Edward Burling and 66 others, to contain 23,040 acres, in a rhomboidal form, each side to be 6 miles and no more.

Sept. 23, 1792, Nathan Moore "surveyed and run the division line," which runs E. 5ー S., cutting between 4000 and 5000 acres off the south angle; to form, with parts of Wilュliston and Bolton, the town of Richmond.

 

FROM TOWN RECORDS.

 

The first town meeting, warned by John Fasset, Judge of Supreme Court, was held March 22, 1786. "Chose Jas. Farnsworth moderator; Lewis Chapin, clerk; and Peter McArthur, constable."

June 13, 1786, "Chose Dea. Azariah Rood, Capt. Joseph Hall and Jedediah Lane, selectュmen."

Nov. 29, 1786, "By a permit from the General Assembly, in Rutland, October last, this town have liberty to choose a member to attend Assembly at their adjourned session in Bennington, February next. Accordingly was chosen, Mr. Jedediah Lane, representaュtive."

March 12, 1787. "David Stanton chosen tavern-keeper."

March 20, 1788. "Chose Azariah Rood and Esquire James Farnsworth committee to hire a candidate, and voted that we will raise money to pay a candidate for preaching two months."

Sept. 28, 1789. Town tax granted to pay Mr. Reuben Parmelee, for preaching the past season, 」6 5s. 10d.

Sept. 7, 1790. "Chose Martin Chittenden representative, and voted to give Mr. Ebenュezer Kingsbury a call to settle in the minュistry."

Nov. 18, 1795. "Chose Noah Chittenden, Esq., superintendent to take care of and superintend the building of meeting-house."

March 8, 1798. "Voted that the pole now ready to be raised be the town sign-post."

March 2, 1801. "Voted to give liberty to the town to set up the small pox next fall under the direction of the selectmen."

A register of Freemen was begun in 1785, with 6 names, an addition of about the same number was made in 1786; more the next year, and so on.

覧覧

* Since deceased. Ed.,

 

 

 

830 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

THE SETTLEMENT

of the town was commenced by three famiュlies in 1774, broken up during the war and recommenced in 1783, from which time setュtlers came in rapidly.

 

CHANGE OF LIMITS

was made for the convenience of the settlers in the basin of Winooski river, now Richュmond Center, as they had high and difficult hills to climb to reach the centers of the surュrounding towns. By this arrangement Jeriュcho lost the largest part of its most fertile land, and several of the most enterprising citizens, James and Benj. Farnsworth, John Russell, Jos. Hall, John Hollenbeck, Leonard Hodges and others.

 

RELIGION IN JERICHO.

The town religion was Congregational. Mr. Kingsbury obtained the "minister's right." Their first religious edifice was a large, square roofed, wooden building謡ith "pews," a porter-cup pulpit, and a pyramid of wood hung over it by a "slender thread" of iron--near the center of the town and the middle of the "Green," a square of 4 acres, around which Jericho Center was built. In 1835 this wooden concern gave place to one of brick on the north side of the "Green."

 

EPISCOPAL.

Several families of the original settlers were "Church people," as shown by the folュlowing from the town records:

 

"This certifies that Jos. Brown, Tim. Brown, Abel Castle, Jonathan Castle, Nat. Bostwick, Chas. Brown, Jos. Brown, Jr., and Lewis Castle are professors of the Episcopal, &c. 覧覧 覧覧 Rector."

 

From them the north part of the town where they resided was called "Church Street," and there a church organization was maintained, for a few years, under the care of Rev. Bethuel Chittenden of Shelburne, Rev. Reuben Garlick, M. D., and others; but, being few, their organization was abandュoned for a few years, till it was revived under the ministration of Rev. Samuel B. Bostwick in 1843. They erected a church edifice in 1853.

 

UNIVERSALISTS

were among the original settlers, particularly the Thompson family, numerous and wealthy; the Gloyds and Dows, all of whom have their representatives in children and grandュchildren who, like their ancestors, are indeュpendent in opinion as well as in property. They had preaching of their doctrines early, but no religious edifice till 1846, at Jericho Center.

 

THE METHODIST CHURCH

in Jericho seems to owe its existence for many years to Rev. Thomas Goodhue, a native of Ipswich, Mass., and pupil of Asュbury, Hedding, and other Methodist fathers. He removed to Underhill in 1805. There were at that time three Methodists in Jericho, Elias Hale, his wife, and Elias Nash. They invited Mr. Goodhue to preach to them, and additions were soon made to their number, and from that time the denomination inュcreased in number and influence to the presュent time. Mr. Goodhue removed to Jericho in 1815, and died in 1850, aged 85 years. He continued to preach occasionally till near 80 years old. The Methodist had no church edifice in town till 1853, when they built one on the border of the town, at Underhill Flat. Another was built at Jericho Corner in 1858.

 

THE BAPTIST CHURCH

was nob separated from that in Essex till about 1817, and had no religious edifice till about 1825, when the academy was built at Jericho Center, the lower story of which they occupied as a place of meeting half the time. About the same time the brick meetュing-house at Jericho Corner was built by Baptists and the Second Congregational church, and occupied by them alternate Sunュdays till 1858, when the Baptists built a new meeting-house at the Corner, where their regular services are now held.

 

FREEWILL BAPTISTS

were formerly more numerous than at presュent, the Methodists having absorbed most of them. Rev. Edward Fay was several years a preacher of this persuasion. They do not now hold regular service.

 

JERICHO ACADEMY

was built about 1825, but did not go into successful operation till March, 1827, when Simeon Bicknell, A. M., became connected with it. Under his management the school attained the highest character of any in this part of the state. After he left it, in 1832, it continued popular for some years, but with "waning splendor" till it became extinct in 1845.

 

REV. SIMEON BICKNELL, A. M.

educated at Dartmouth College, was many years a teacher of the old stamp, nearest to my idea of the celebrated masters of the

 

 

 

JERICHO. 831

 

great English schools. A scholar must obey implicitly, and learn all it was reasonable to ask of him or emigrate,溶o half-way measュures. He did not think it was reasonable to ask us, little boys, to learn much.

Mr. Bicknell was very much afflicted with sick-headache, sometimes so severely as to disqualify him for business for a fortnight. This had a great effect upon his temper, disュcouraging him generally and making him restless and discontented with what he was doing. He taught Jericho Academy five years with rapidly increasing popularity, when葉empted by more brilliant promises he removed to Malone, N. Y. The disastrous consequences of his headache followed him, year to year, from one change to another, till in 1844 he went to Wisconsin to find a home for his growing family. After being employed sometime surveying, again becomュing discouraged, he came to Milwaukie, on his way to the east. Hon. Wm. A. Prentiss, who had also been a Jericho man, meeting him and learning his discouragements, said, "But, Master Bicknell, Wisconsin cannot spare you so, she needs more such men. You must make your home in Wisconsin, wait till we see what we can do for you." He lent him money, which enabled him to make a home there. He now resides at Fort Atkinson.

Honor to the man of insight, foresight and liberality; Jericho, through us, has a full measure of honor for one of these in the person of Hon. WM. A. PRENTISS, of Milュwaukie, once the leading business man of Jericho, and always a whole-souled, high- minded gentleman.

 

NATHANIEL BOSTWICK,

of New Milford, Conn., was one of the early settlers above mentioned, and his son,

 

ARTHUR BOSTWICK, ESQ.,*

as merchant, hotel-keeper and civil magisュtrate, has been thoroughly identified with the interests of Jericho longer than almost any other man. His recollection goes back almost to the town organization. This hisュtory is especially indebted to him. He was clerk in the first store in town, that of Wm. and Samuel Hickok.

 

REV. SAMUEL B. BOSTWICK,

son of Arthur Bostwick, Esq., was born March 10, 1815, and as child and youth was remarkable for a singularly thoughtful and truthful character, an obedient son, an afュfectionate brother, a faithful friend, perfectly without guile and with no fear but the fear of doing wrong. Such is his character in his mature and useful manhood. He fitted for college at Jericho Academy, graduated at the University of Vermont in 1835, spent several years teaching in Virginia and Alaュbama, and in tho Vermont Episcopal Instiュtute; pursued theological studies in the General Theological Seminary of the Protestant Episcopal Church in New York. He married Miss Harriet Wood, of New York, in 1841; spent 2 years in Jericho, where he reュorganized the Protestant Episopal church; years in Brandon; 14 years at Sandy Hill, N. Y., where he now resides, as Rector of the Prot. Ep. churches at Fort Edward and Sandy Hill, a beloved, respected and fortuュnate Christian gentleman.

 

PHYSICIANS.

We believe the first physician in Jericho to have been Matthew Cole; but that, being appointed Judge of Probate, he did not remain long in town. The first who made it his permanent home was

 

DR. ELEAZER HUTCHINS,

from Lebanon, N. H., a pupil of Dr. Allen Parkhurst. He settled in town in 1791 or 1792; married Betsey, daughter of Capt. John Hollenbeck; was a very energetic man, social and generous, popular and efficient in his profession,葉horoughly identified with the progress of the town; was Surgeon of the regiment raised in this section engaged in the battle of Plattsburgh; died in town February, 1833, aged 67. For these particuュlars we are indebted to his youngest daughter, wife of Hon. David Fish.

 

DR. GEORGE HOWE

was the second physician permanently setュtled in town, and the one who practiced longest. He was a native of Canaan, Conn., settled here in 1810, and practiced nearly to the time of his death, in 1857, at the age of 75. He married Mary, daughter of

 

HON. JAMES A. POTTER,

a native of New Fairfield, Conn., who was merchant, farmer, town representative, judge of county court; a very active, enterprising man; died in 1809, aged 38

 

LAWYERS.

Martin Post, Esq., was probably the first lawyer in town, but his residence was not

覧覧

* Deceased, the past summer. 1866.Ed.

 

 

 

852 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

long enough to make his history traceable at present. The most eminent lawyers who have practiced in town are Jacob Maeck, Esq., a native of Shelburne, now of Burュlington, and Hon. David A. Smalley, Judge of U. S. Circuit Court for the District of Vermont, now of Burlington.

 

HON. NOAH CHITTENDEN,

oldest son of Governor Thomas Chittenュden, born in 1753, had entered public life previous to his coming to Jericho, as we find him sheriff of Addison counュty in 1785. He married a daughter of John Fasset of Bennington, and had two children: Thomas, born in 1791, and Hanュnah, wife of Hon. Truman Galusha, born in 1795. His son Thomas, or as he was commonly called, Judge Thomas, after his father's death, removed to Ohio, where his son Thomas Jefferson still resides.

Most of the original titles to land were lost by sheriff's sale for taxes. By this means "Judge Noah" became the owner of nearly or quite 2000 acres, by far the most opulent land-holder in town. He had, thereュfore, a great influence, and was much emュployed in public business in town and county. We remember him well預 hale, stout, vivaュcious old gentleman. He died rather sudュdenly of apoplexy in 1835.

 

HON. MARTIN CHITTENDEN

lived many years in Jericho, near his brother Noah. Representative many years before he removed to Williston.

 

DEA. THOMAS BARNEY

naturally comes next, as the son-in-law of Gov. Thomas Chittenden. He was born about 1745. Mabel Chittenden, his wife, was born about 1750. They resided in the latter part of their life in Jericho, with their son, Truman Barney, Esq., and his wife, Hannah Bentley, the first child born in Midュdlebury.* Dea. Barney died in 1828, Mrs. Barney died in 1838. We recollect him well 預 tall, strong, grave, resolute man. He frequently told stories of the Revolutionary times, when he lived in Manchester, and was captain of a company of minute men. We have taken pains to recover, as far as possible, his account of his famous capture of a number of Tory "Cowboys," from those who heard him relate it. Better accounts may be in existence, but the following is what his grandchildren relate:

CAPT. BARNEY'S FAMOUS EXPLOIT.

 

A number of Tories, in the vicinity of Manchester, had been collecting cattle which they intended to drive to Gen. Burgoyne's army. The minute men had been watching their operations and learned that they had a number of cattle collected in a back pasture, and were anxious to ascertain the time they intended to start with them, that they might surprise them in the act. Aware that the minute men were on the alert, and well knowing their resolute character, the Tories were very cautious and chose well their time, a star-lit night, when their movements could not be observed at any considerable distance. Up to the very time they had kept their secret. The minute men, having so much on their hands, had no special spies set on their movements, trusting to the fact that every true American man, woman, boy and girl were, to the extent of their ability and means, spies on all the enemies of freedom. The evening the Tories intended to move, no one was a special watcher, except a true Whig girl who had a lover whom she susュpected of being a Tory, from his relationship to some who were generally regarded as such. She was watching him as he was doing his most agreeable, and, from his appearance, thought him possessed of some valuable secret. Of course that was contraband in love, and he was obliged to give it up to conュfiscation, or be banished from the Eden of love. Getting hold of the secret, she manュaged to communicate it to another member of the family, and still detain her sweetュheart, even to unseasonable hours. Of course any one at liberty carried such a secret as speedily as possible to one of the minute men. He lost no time in rallying Capt. Barney and others; but settlers were so scattered that it required considerable time to assemble suffiュcient force to arrest the Tories; so that, with the advantage of darkness they seemed likely to escape. The Capt. however, with two others, speeding on their informant to rally more, hastened towards the field where the cattle were known to be. There were two paths by which this was usually approached. Directing the other two men to take one of these and meet him at the bars, Capt. Barney proceeded by the other path alone. Before reaching the field, he found himself in the vicinity of the body of men of whom he was in search. He soon learned that prompt

覧覧

* Vide Middlebury, No. 1, page 50.

 

 

 

JERICHO. 833

 

action of some sort was necessary, and resolved to try alone to detain them till assistance could be brought up. Being near enough to be heard but not seen distinctly, he commenced in a loud and well known voice giving orders to a large company of minute men, and, at the same time, making such a rush among the trees of cocking guns and cracking brushwood as he was capable of, commanded the tories to "surrender or die instantly!" Believing themselves surュrounded by men whose disposition they knew was not to be trifled with, in obedience to his orders they grounded their arms together and retired to a seat on a fallen tree, which there was just light enough for him to discern within convenient range of the battery which their guns supplied him. Taking immediate possession of this battery, he told them that to stir from the position directed would be instant death. Knowing him to be a man of his word they obeyed, and he detained them there till help enough was rallied to secure them all prisoners of war.

 

HON. TRUMAN GALUSHA,

son of Gov. Jonas Galusha and grandson of Gov. Thomas Chittenden, was born at Shaftsュbury, 1786; married Lydia Loomis, of the same place, in 1809. In 1819, he married Hannah, the only daughter of Hon. Noah Chittenden, removed to Jericho about 1824, and was, till his death in 1859, one of the most prominent citizens and the wealthiest man in town. He occupied the most responュsible civil stations in town and county,

 

JEDEDIAH LANE, ESQ.,

from Killingworth, Conn., was among the first permanent settlers, among the first six freemen registered, one of the first elected selectmen, and first town representative. He died in 1818, aged 77. Children, grandュchildren, great-grandchildren, and one great, great-grandchild are now living in Jericho. His descendants are intimately connected by marriage with the Lee family, the family of deacons. His eldest daughter, wife of Peter McArthur, the first constable, who removed to St. Andrews, C. E., in 1797, about the time of her death in 1852, had a daughter, 63; a grand-daughter, 45; a great-grandュdaughter, 25; and a great-great-grandュdaughter, 18 months old; lived to see 8 generations, 210 descendants180 living a year before her death, most of them in the same village.

 

JEDEDIAH LANE, JR.,

was the first college graduate from Jericho, Dartmouth College; a few years merchant, and many years a teacher.

 

THE LEE FAMILY.

Two brothers, John and Azariah Lee, from Saybrook, Conn., were among the early setュtlers; a quiet, conservative class of men who have furnished four Congregational deacons in Jericho. Mr. John Lee died in 1789, aged 50 years, and was the first person buried within the present limits of the town. Three of his sons are still living, two dead. Of these the best known was Dea. Reuben the first of the Dea. Lees. Two of the sons and one grandson of Azariah Lee have held the same office, Dea. Eben Lee and Dea. Albert Lee耀uccessors of their cousin, Dea. Reuben預nd Dea. Elon Lee, of the 2d Conュgregational church. The 1st Congregational church has had one Dea. Lee so long that our "memory runneth not to the contrary." The other posterity of the Lees, including the present historian and Lee River, are too numerous to mention.

 

DEA. AZARIAH. ROOD,

from Lanesboro, Mass., was one of the three settlers of 1774, one of the first six freemen, first selectman, first deacon, &c.; died in 1795, but left to fill his place his son,

 

THOMAS DRAKELY ROOD,

who served the town in almost every responュsible civil capacity, and was one of the two deacons whose example formed our boyish, idea of deacons優ea. Rood and Dea. Lee幼olleagues and contrasts for so many years, so many that we should not be competent historians of any other deacons. Dea. Rood was a tall, strong, energetic man, of a deュcidedly administrative cast of mind, at the same time progressive and conservative, ready and decided in action, wise and firm in council. Dea. Reuben Lee was a short, slight built man, of delicate features, of a quiet, reflective turn of mind, modestly shrinking from responsibility, and accepting no office but that of deacon. Thomas D. Rood, with his youngest son, removed to Wisconsin in his old age, and died there in 1855, aged 87. His sons were honored and efficient men, two educated for the ministry幽eman Rood, D. D., several years at the head of a theological seminary at Gilmantown, N. H., now of Hartford, Vt., and Anュson Rood, D. D., pastor of a Congregational

 

 

 

834 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

church in Philadelphia for a number of years. He died there.

 

THE BARTLETT FAMILY.

Three brothers, Benjamin, Billy and Eben, were among the early and influential settlers, and their numerous descendants have always held a respectable rank in town.

 

THE FIELD FAMILY.

Two brothers, David and Jedediah Field, from Guilford, Conn., were among the old and honored men in our boyhood, and their children are among the honored men at the present time.

 

THE CHAPIN FAMILY

consisted of three brothers. Lewis Chapin, first town clerk, served in that office many years, was representative, &c. He and his descendants are distinguished for liberal munificence. He gave four acres for the site of the first meeting-house, and afterwards gave the site of the academy. He died in 1827, aged 73.

 

THE BLACKMAN FAMILY.

Four brothers, Nathaniel, Pliny, Lemuel and Prosper, sons of Nathaniel Blackman, of Huntington, Conn. Nathaniel and Lemuel were administrative men, town officers and civil magistrates; Pliny for many years a successful merchant. Lemuel Blackman and Wm. P. Richardson, Esqs., for many years read the sermons at "deacon meetings."

 

RODERICK MESSINGER,

one of the three settlers of 1774, from Claverュack, N. Y., pitched on Winooski river in the west corner of the town on the "Governor's Right." In 1776 the inhabitants of the frontier being warned by Ira Allen for the Council of Safety, he buried and otherwise seュcreted the least perishable of his effects, and with the small remainder and his family in a canoe proceeded down the river. At Hubュbell's Falls he landed his family on the bank and, to their great surprise, without saying a word of his intention, backed his canoe into the stream and went down the rapids. At Colchester Falls he unloaded the canoe and let it drift over. At the lake they waited some time for the transports which had been sent down the lake to pick up the flying inhabitants. When the transports came in sight, fearing their encampment might be mistaken for one of the Indian's, grandmother Messinger directed her oldest children猶hebe, then a girl of 13, and Rachel, the next younger,葉o climb a partly fallen tree and wave their aprons; supposing that it would be taken for granted that aprons did not belong to the attire of Indians. Phebe was the wife of Dea. Reuben Lee and mother's mother of this historian; from her he received this narrative. During the war the family was in Pownal, Lanesboro, Mass, Salisbury, Conn., and Claverack, N. Y. Mr. Messinger was employed, under the Council of Safely, in the defence of the settlements in the grants in 1777, at a block-house on his farm in Jericho, which was ocュcupied as a military outpost till, upon the approach of Burgoyne, the company stationed there retreated to meet the enemy at Hubュbardton and Bennington. After the war Mr. Messinger re-occupied his farm, was postュmaster and news-carrier for the pioneers.

 

JOSEPH BROWN,

from Great Barrington, Mass., one of the three first of 1774, settled in the north part of the town on the alluvion of the river to which he gave the name. In selling his property in Great Barrington he received his pay chiefly in land where the village of Stowe is now situated; but the difficulty of crossing the mountains, and the remoteness of Stowe from any settlement of that time, induced him to invest some property belongュing to his wife's inheritance in Jericho. He was about 6 miles from the ordinary "Indiュan trail," and hoping that the Indians would not find his settlement, he remained after Messrs. Messinger and Rood left. But in the spring of 1777 the vicinity of the blockュhouse, in the south part of the town, inュduced him to take some land of Mr. Messinュger and so live with the "rest of the world." But while employed making fence around his corn with his two sons, Charles and Joseph, Indians suddenly rose around them, and with their demoniac yell announced that they were prisoners. They were taken to Isle Aux Noix, where they met Burgoyne, who, accepting their submission to the crown, ordered them to be discharged. This was done, and they were set on the western shore of the lake. Here they were obliged to work some time to pay for help to cross the lake, and nearly three months elapsed before they effected their return to their settlement, which they found desolate, the rest of the family having accompanied the party which retreated from the block-house after the inュcursion of the Indians. Mr. Brown was,

 

 

 

JERICHO. 835

 

therefore, obliged to go to the south part of the state to collect his scattered family. He returned to his farm, however, and was the only settler in the vicinity, his only neighュbors being hunters and trappers scattered through the forests. In 1780 the party which sacked Royalton, passing up Winooski river, found a hunter, named Gibson, skinュning his game, and took him prisoner. Mr. Brown's people were in the habit of entertaining hunters hospitably, and but a short time before this Gibson had spent several days with them, while sick. Not relishing the prospect of captivity, he told the Indians that, if they would let him go, he would lead them to a white family. A number of Inュdians were detached for this purpose, and led by Gibson took Mr. Brown's family all prisュoners. The traditions of their manners are illustrative of savage notions generally. After entering the house, one savage ran towards Mrs. Brown, brandishing his knife; but not seeking her life, as she supposed, only her gold beads which he cut from her neck.

After plundering the house they had a high savage time burning it and all which they did not deem desirable to be carried away. Emptying the feather beds they had high Indian fun making the feathers fly, and then used the bed-ticks for knapsacks. Mrs. Brown, as a woman well to do in that time, had a scarlet broadcloth cloak. We can reュmember well when this was the choicest article in grandmother's wardrobe. This article tickled the fancy of one copper-colored rascal, and the last Mrs. Brown saw of it, it was streaming from his neck as he disappeared in the forest at full speed. The first night they returned to their camp at Winooski river with Mr. Brown's whole family; with Gibson, whom they let go as agreed, but captured again immediately,* with Mr. Brown's cattle and his two dogs. The next morning after, however, they slaughtered one of the cattle, gave plenty of meat to the dogs to fatten them, and when full fed they considered them in condition to kill, and disュpatched one of them; but when one of the savages approached the other dog, which had been witness to the fate of his fellow, he sprang at the throat of the Indian and brought him to the ground, treated a second in the same way, and then fled from the tomahawks which the rest hurled at him and disappeared in the forest, and sought and found civilized men again in a distant part of the State. The second night they encamped at Mallet's Bay, where they compelled Mrs. Brown and two children to stand in the water all night. At St. Johns, C. E., they delivered their prisonュers to British authorities, and received as a bounty $8 a head. The family was disュtributed in that vicinity; Charles, the elder of the boys, enlisted in the British service as a scout. In this capacity he repeatedly traversed the northern frontier in many diュrections, visiting the ruins of Royalton, as also a post-office kept in a hollow tree in Peacham, through which by mails carried by scouts and hunters some limited communicaュtion was kept up between Canada and the frontier settlements. This company of scouts was mainly formed of captured frontiersmen and did not maintain very strict discipline. At one time Charles, having boils which made it impossible for him to carry a knapュsack, was left behind by his company and he saw nothing of them or of any human being for three months, living by hunting till he again fell in with and joined his comrades. Mr. Brown did not hear of the peace till some time after its establishment, the people wishing to induce him to settle in Canada; but he returned to his settlement after havュing been absent 3 years and 8 months, poorer than he had ever been before葉he destitution in which his captivity left him rendering him unable to pay the taxes; for which reaュson he lost his Stowe lands, and a considerュable share of those in Jericho. Outliving his hardships, however, he was after all able to leave his children in independent circumュstances, as his posterity are at this time.

 

JAMES MARSH

was born in Canaan, Conn., 1775. His father having been bound for a friend was much embarrassed in his pecuniary affairs, and, after living a short time in Cornwall, reュmoved to Haverhill, N. H. After having become apparently well settled he found his claim covered by a prior title and was com-

覧覧

* Says another narrator of this capture, Lyman Thayer, late of Shelburne now of Burlington: "Brown, on promise of release, had agreed to lead them to a whole fami!y, which being done according to agreement, he was released, but recaptured before he had proceeded two miles, whereupon he appealed to their honor. 'Ugh!' ejaculated the treacherous Indians to the treacherous hunter, 'we said we let you go, and we let you go, and now we take you again;' and so marched him off finally prisoner with the hospitable family he had so basely betrayed."Ed.

 

 

 

836 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

pelled to surrender it, getting no compensation for his improvements beyond help to move his family to Corinth, Vt. Leaving his family there, Mr. Marsh proceeded to Waterbury, and making as much clearing as was necessary for the purpose, he raised and gathered a crop of corn. The only companionュship he had this year was with one Col. Thatcher from New Milford, Conn., who was employed making surveys and proposing to bring in 30 families the next season. Enュcouraged by this prospect, in the spring of 1783, Mr. Marsh, with three children勇lias, "Rene," and James謡ent to Waterbury, having a horse to carry provisions and help them in fording the streams, to find his corn all gone and himself and children with no provisions, except what they had brought With them. Using these as sparingly as posュsible he planted his corn, and leaving the children with provisions for a week, he reュturned to Corinth for the rest of the family. At the of the week, not having provision for another day, Elias proposed to go down to the Falls to catch some trout. On their way they found a large bear sitting directly in their path and unmistakably disputing their passage. Elias had a gun loaded with shot, and a large dog. Fearing to discharge the gun at the bear, the dog was let loose upon him, he attacking bruin in the rear and dodging out of the way when bruin turned to repay the compliment; thus, by a cautious advance on the part of Elias and the worrying of the dog, the bear was backed out of the way and the children allowed to proceed. Their next obstacle was Waterbury river, the only means of crossing which was a small tree lying across. Elias carried James over on his back; but "Rene," trying to walk across with Elias to steady her, beュcame dizzy and fell into the stream. She sunk twice, but was finally rescued by Elias, yet to nearly drowned as to require the utmost effort to resuscitate her. James was brought back across the river, and the two, supporting their sister on either aide, they slowly made their way to a pile of driftwood which, being set on fire, enabled them to dry their clothes; after which, the day being spent, they returned to their camp for the night. The boys surrendered the remainュing food to their sister and went supperless to sleep. The next morning they started for the nearest neighbor, Thomas McFarlane, in the corner of Jericho, 10 miles down the valley. This time Elias carried each of the others across Waterbury river. They were received by McFarlane with the hospitality usual among new settlers and kept about a week, when they learned that their father had returned to his cabin and was almost distracted at the absence of his children. He had brought the rest of the family, with the help of a horse, on either side of which he slung a kettle, placed the feather bed and bedding on top on which his wife was mounted with one child in her arms and one lashed to her back. Himself and three other children came on foot, bringing what provisions they could, and driving a cow. Arriving at Waterbury and finding his cabin deserted, he feared his children were dead, and could not rest a moment. He walked the round of his cabin all night, and the next day wandered about the woods like one distracted, returning occasionally to the house to see if perchance they had returned, then wandering again. He was absent when the children returned. Learning from his mother that "father was in the woods almost crazy," James started out to find him. They met suddenly, Jimmie exclaiming, "Father, we've come!" Mr. Marsh caught him in his arms and dropped on the ground saying simply, "O my child!" This was the commencement of the permanent settlement of Waterbury. Thus the first family there had come together.

After hoeing his corn Mr. Marsh, his proュvisions now almost exhausted, went to Colchester Falls to work for Ira Allen, who was then building his dam, and agreed to furnish provisions for Mr. Marsh's family till he could raise them; said he was expecting them every day from Skenesboro; that a boat must arrive within a week. After working three weeks, waiting day after day for the premised boat to come, alarmed by dreaming that his family had starved, at daylight Mr. Marsh told Allen that he must go and look after his family, hoping that he might be able to carry them a back-load of provisions. But Allen was hurrying on his work and had installed Marsh as foreman of his dam-builders; he was, therefore, unwillュing to lose his services for a day, refused to release him, and said that if he left he would never pay him for what he had done. Mr. Marsh then asked for some food before leaving, and was told to wait till breakfast. He

 

 

 

JERICHO. 837

 

did not wish to go hungry to a starving family, so waited for breakfast, then started on an Indian trot for Waterbury, where he found they had lived, nine ef them, on boiled leeks and the milk of their cow for two weeks. When he asked for food and his wife produced the unsavory mess, he could not eat it揺e had not starved long enough. He drank a little milk and started for New Hampshire, obtained a bushel of corn meal, which he brought on his back to his family. This, with what they could pick up in the forest, kept them along till early Autumn, when the father again trudged to Coos and brought back a bushel of wheat flour. This year he raised a good crop of corn, but a freshit just at the harvest time robbed him of the greater part of it. Famine, thereュfore, hung round them another year. Moose, however, abounded and, though shy, occaュsionally one was shot, At such times the family had thanksgiving. The famished children cut off pieces of the flesh and hastily roasting, by throwing it upon the coals for an instant, ate as much as their parents would allow. Such an incident occurred the next summer which was made memorable to them by the presence of a New Hampshire acquaintance, a Col. Porter, on his way homeュward from a visit to the Allens at Winooski. He staid over night to help them enjoy their fresh treat of moose-meat, and揺aving his saddle-bags well filled with bread謡hen the meal of moose was ready, the Colonel spread it upon the table and invited the children to share it with him. They huddled around with eager appetite, but their father interュposed, saying that as Col. Porter had two nights before him to lie in the woods he would need all he had, and the children must not eat a morsel; quite a tantalizing trial. In the second autumn Mr. Marsh went again to Coos, N. H., for a bushel of wheat, and afterwards began a trade of exchanging moose beef for corn with the settlers in Jericho, by which he kept starvaュtion at arm's length. In the spring after Hon. Ezra Butler settled in Waterbury, Mr. Marsh, thinking he might do better in Jericho, started to go there to make arrangeュments for moving. On his way he went to Mr. Brownson's in Williston, now near Richュmond Center, to cast some spoons in Mr. Brownson's spoon-moulds, which done he said he thought he had better go to Mr. Russell's across the river that night, as it was thawing and the ice bridge insecure. He carried a pole in one hand and his new spoons in the other. The ice failed under him, he lost hold of the pole and nevermore was seen in life. His body was found the next Sunday. Intelligence was carried to Waterュbury by Capt. Dewey of Bolton and commuュnicated to the family by Gov. Butler. Beュfore the day chosen for funeral a heavy snow fell, which made snow-shoes necessary. But the second daughter, Anna, could not walk on snow-shoes, and still wished to be at her father's funeral. Her grief and anxiety to go prevailed. Gov. Butler offered to carry the poor child part of the way, and Elias, always ready to do his part, carried her the rest of the way to McFarlane's, from which place there was a path. Mr. Marsh was buried on the farm of Capt. Joseph Hall, then in Jericho, now near Richmond Corners. Anna staid at Mr. Russell's after the funeral. Indeed, both of the girls mentioned above, Irene and Anna, generally lived in Jericho till they were married, and Anna most of her life. In June, James, a lad of about 12, got perュmission of his mother to go to Jericho to find a place. He lived with Leonard Hodges till autumn and returned to Waterュbury. The next year he came to Jericho to remain till this time, living at different places till 26 years old; when, having a farm, house and barn, he married Lucy Morgan, with whom he has lived on the same farm, raised a large family, and is enjoying life well his old age.

From him we derive the only. authentic information of the first schools in town. He had not been at school in his 18th year, his life so far having been an unbroken series of hardships. At this time, however, he perュsuaded his guardian to let him provide for himself. The next winter the first school was opened in Jericho, between Mr. Messinger's and Mr. Chittenden's. The teacher was an Englishman, a "Master" Henry, who became probate clerk for Dr. Matthew Cole, beyond which his history is unknown to us. James this winter commenced learning to read, boarded at Capt. Elon Lee's, 3 miles from the school, and took care of Mr. Lee's 田hores" to pay for his board, the Captain being the "singing master" of this vicinity, and conseュquently absent from home much of the time. The ancient Yankee "singing master" was

 

 

 

838 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

 

one of the institutions. His modus operandi ought to be commemorated. He was expected to know how to "learn tunes from a book," to have a book, a good voice and a "pitch-pipe." He boarded round and for those who were ambitious to learn the mysteries of written notes he copied tunes to be learned; his book thus sufficing for his diocese. His office, therefore, was no sinecure; it was busy.

James afterwards boarded at Mr. Brown's, in Church street, and attended the school of

 

MASTER DAVID FISH,

the most distinguished of the ancient Jericho school masters. He settled in town early, married the daughter of Mr. Timothy Brown; taught school 22 winters in Jericho, and several winters in Essex. He was one of the "masters;" authority based on the rod, he neither spared it nor spoiled the child; carュried the ensign of office into school at the start and appealed to it powerfully, though, of course, not frequently. After he had reュsigned his vocation as superannuated he was repeatedly urged to "take the school," after some teacher had been "carried out" by the scholars. Many incidents are still remembered of his bringing unruly schools to order after they had "revolted." In one of these, a large band of rawboned youngsters had conspired to "carry out" Master Fish, putュting forward their "bully" and pledging to sustain him with "their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honors." The leader transュgressed the "rules," was ordered to "take the floor," doff his coat and "stand up to the mark." So far he obeyed. That was part of the plan. For the rest he was to give blow for blow, and if necessary his comrades were to "pitch in." The blow came with a "twig of the wilderness" fit for an ox-whip, and he attempted to return it with his "fists and feet, tooth and nail;" but he dashed his jaw against Master Fish's fist and "was laid out." As he lay gasping, and his comrades, who were all standing "eager for fight," looked on aghast, the order came like thunder, "sit down!" and order was restored for that school.

The plan in another school was to put forュward the largest girl in school. She rose and very politely asked, "Mr. Trout, may I go out?" "Sit down," and business proceeded; but, at the close of school for the day, the polite Miss was served with the beech like a refractory horse. The "boys" did not try it.

The old master died in 1844, aged 75, at the residence of his son and namesake, Hon. David Fish.

 

BEARS

 

abounded; sometimes carried off calves and swine; were fond of young corn. It beュhooved the settlers to guard well the pig-stye and the corn field. For the safety of the former a large dog was some dependence; for the latter, they did the best they could "watching round," as neighbors do upon the sick in Vermont.

John L.* had lost a calf and a hog by bears. A hog is sometimes the hope of the family. Two brothers-in-law lived with J. L. in the corn season, and neighbor H.'s corn was much sought by bears. Mrs. J. L. (Huldah) was an anxious, timid woman. She was anxious for the hog and timid about bears. In the latter respect the big, black dog Trump symュpathized with his mistress. But her brothers were "not afraid of bears," especially Hubュbel. "Let a bear come where he was round and he would catch no-matter-what, not the hog." Neighbor H. needed help to watch his corn o'nights, and the hog did not seem to need three brave men and a big dog to watch him; especially when one of the men was Hubbel, and the big dog was a "Trump." John and Talmon, then, must go with the "guns" to watch the corn. Hubbel and Trump did not need guns to watch a hog. He could squeal and Trump bark, and all would be effectually alarmed. Huldah, timid, sat up late. Hubbel, fearless, was "up the ladder" in the loft of the log-house, in bed and asleep, as a man fearless of bears ought to be. The hog squealed and Trump barked. Huldah, alarmed, called: "Hubbel! Hubbel! a bear is catching the hog; dear me, what shall we do?" Something to be done surely. Pig squealed more and more piteously, and Trump barked more and more distractedly. Hubbel came down the ladder with agility, but without his nether garュments. No time to stop for pants. Huldah caught a firebrand and sallied out, but not far, leaving the door open behind her, called on Trump to "seek him," and waved the blazing brand; Hubbel, just behind his sister (modesty, perhaps, would not allow

覧覧

* John Lee, we think.Ed.

 

 

 

MILTON. 839

 

him to go before). The firebrand and light from the door made darkness and nothing else visible. Trump "went in," but a biped bear was prepared for him. Throwing his loose frock over his head, he rushed speechュless at the big dog, and the big dog rushed speechless for a safe place. As he brushed past his mistress and between Hubbel's unュclothed legs, upsetting him, Huldah cried, "Dear me, the bear is coming into the house," and dropping the brand she did that with alacrity. Hubbel followed with agility. They closed the door with trepidation and surrendered the hog to his fate.

The pants were donned and they sat up because葉hey could not lie down. "O if we had had a gun! what did become of Trump? Did the bear kill him so quick he could not yell? It is all still. The hog must be dead, &c."

In a little while John and Talmon came talking down the path, and entering were apparently astonished to find the inmates awake "with wide-distended eyes." "Dear me, John, I'm glad you've come; but too late, the hog must be gone; the bear came this time in earnest."

"Why, what could a bear do when Hubュbel was here? Where's Trump, too?"

"Gone; killed, I'm afraid; haven't heard him since."

"Poh! I don't believe in your bear, he wouldn't come when Hubbel was here."

Huldah, amazed, looked in John's black eyes which were running over with mischief at the fate of hog, dog, and Hubbel.

"Ah, you rogue, John, you are the bear." Hubbel looked at the black eyes and saw that Huldah had guessed it.

"You the bear, you rascal? The blaze dazzled my eyes or I should have caught you, and you'd have caught it. And you'll catch it now."

He did catch it; but he always had a bear story to tell. So have we.

So the Green Mountain boys diversified pioneer life. " Variety葉he spice."

 

 

 

MILTON.

 

 

BY HECTOR ADAMS, ESQ.

 

The township of Milton lies on the eastern shore of Lake Champlain; and is the N. W. corner town in Chittenden Co.

It is bounded N. by Georgia, in Franklin Co., E. by Westford, S. by Colchester, and W. by Lake Champlain. A sand-bar extends from the S. W. corner of the town to South Hero in Grand Isle Co., which renders the lake fordable between the two towns a conュsiderable portion of each year. In the years of 1849 and 1850, there was a toll- bridge or turnpike built on this sand-bar at a cost of $25,000, which renders the commuュnication between the two towns tolerably good at all seasons of the year.

The town was chartered by New Hampュshire to Albert Blake and 63 others, June 8, 1763, and contains about 28,000 acres.

[Grantees of Milton,庸or which we are indebted to the Vermont antiquarian, Mr. Stevens: Samuel Rogers, James Wilmott, Jr., Isaac Silvester, Isaac Rogers, Josh. B覧, Josh. Kirkbird, Wm. Proctor, Alex. Moore, Peter Cone, John Imlay, Josh. Haviland, James Haviland, Tim. Mc'Carty, Carden Lee, Samuel Dodge, John Burroughs, James Burュroughs, Wm. Burroughs, Wm. Popplerdorf, Jr., Josh. Zabrisker, John Zabrisker, Richard Cornwall, Daniel Bates, Thomas Liscum, Wm. Smith, Wm. Smith, Jr., Jacob Smith, Thomas Willet, John Willet, Ralph William Miller, Josh. Royal, Benj. Lintott, William Ferguher, Richard Sharp, Richard Evans, Samuel Kemble, Michael Duff, Paul Miller, Paul Miller, Jr., Christopher Miller, Thomas Shreave, Philip French, Philip French, Jr., Adolphus French, Henry Franklin, Benjamin Underhill, David Buckley, Benjamin Blagge, John Bogie, John Gifford, John Gifford, Jr., George Wood, John Turner, John Turner, Jr., Alexander Baker, Joshua Huckins, Henry Dickenson, Hon. Richard Wilbird, John Downing, Esq., Daniel Warner, Esq., Samuel Emerson, Jr., Maj. Richmond Downing.Ed.]

Besides the 500 acres reserved to Governor Wentworth, four rights were reserved to public uses, among which, one for the use or schools, and one for the first settled minister of the gospel. The name of the town, it is supposed, was given it in honor of the disュtinguished poet of that name.

The town was first settled by William Irish, Leonard Owen, Amos Mansfield, Absalom Taylor and Thomas Dewey, in February, 1782.

Among the other early settlers were Gidュeon Hoxsie, Enoch Ashley, Zebediah Dewey, Elisha Ashley, John Mears and others.

Tradition informs us that the first settlers suffered many hardships and privations, but