COUNTY ITEMS. 937
B. Chapin, Sanford Marshall, 1st Lieutenant, Hiram H. Hall.
Henry C. Downer, Thomas Shein.
Co. G.—Leroy B. Nichols.
Musician, Adams' Band.—Dor A. Rouleau.
Co. K.—Charles Gill, Hiram Shambeau, Adam Smith.
Co. H.—Philip Ward, Frank Ward.
Co. I.—George Loggins, William Austin, Hiram J. Isham.
Co. G.—William R. Chapman.
Co. I.—John Boyle, George J. Bliss, Eli Osborn, Edward A. Holton (Orderly Sergeant) David M. Holton, David Smith McHerd, Jackson Isham, John Rowland, Wm. Beach, Waller Osborn, Richard Irish, Samuel C. Alexander, William Shepard, George A. Allen.
Co. K.—Eber Fizander.
Co. A—Peter D. Lander, Lewis Lander, Orville E. Allen, William Green, Frederick Doyne, Homer Prior.
Co. I.—Martin M. Brownell, Horace W. Brownell.
Co. D.—Haschal M. Phelps.
VOLUNTEERS FOR NINE MONTHS.
Co. F.—Captain John L. Yale, George L. Baldwin, Milton E. Isham, Charles A. Harper, Alonzo N. Lee, George A. Pine, Alfred W. Isham, Thomas J. Lee, John F. Harper, Burtram F. Brown, James Patten, Geordon Reynolds, Nathan Johnson, Albert Walston, Peter Derby, Nelson Harper, Lawrence Kelly, Frank J. C. Tyler, Wm. F. Whitney, Joseph Sargent, Thomas Kelley, Melancthon S. Lee, Oscar F. Phelps, Harmon E. Lee, Thomas Culligan, Thomas Johnson.
On the 5th of May, 1864, died at the residence of his son, J. R. Jewell, in Petaluma, California, Jesse Jewell, aged 84 years and 4 months. Mr. Jewell was from Bolton, Chittenden Co. Vermont, where he lived with his wife for 60 years. He was one of the soldiers of 1812, being an officer in the Vermont Volunteers, and participated in the battle of Plattsburgh, N. Y. In 1859 he emigrated to California with his wife, to visit and live with his children, of whom he had in Sonoma Co., three sons and two daughters.
Also at his residence in Petaluma, California, Geo. C. Jewell, aged 40 years. Mr. Jewell was from Bolton, Chittenden Co., Vermont, and youngest son of Jesse Jewell. He emigrated to California in 1852, was one of the first settlers of Petaluma, and has left a large circle of friends to mourn his loss.
Burlington, when we commenced this volume, was town and village,—now it is town and city. Burlington City was chartered by act of the Legislature, Nov. 22, 1864, subject to the adoption of the freemen of the city, and was accepted Jan. 18, 1865. Mayor, Albert L. Catlin; Recorder, E. R. Hurd; Aldermen, Lawrence Barnes, Levi Underwood, Calvin Blodgett, Omri A. Dodge, Giles S. Appleton and Russell S. Taft.
[But we propose to save for an Appendix, or Supplementary Number, further account of the queen-town of Vermont, as also of the county in general, save the few following items of obituary and tributary notices:]
REV. MOSES ROBINSON.
BY REV. P. H. WHITE, OF COVENTRY.
Rev Moses Robinson died at Steamboat Rock, Iowa, September 2d, 1865; aged 50 years, 4 months and 6 days.
He was a son of Cephas and Matilda Robinson, and was born in Burlington, Vt., 26th April, 1815. He was graduated at Middlebury in 1839, and at Union Theological Seminary in 1842, and received license from the Presbytery of New York in the spring of 1842. Returning to Vermont, he married, July 20,1842, Elizabeth M. Smith of Monkton, and immediately went West to engage in the home missionary work. He preached in Livonia, Ia., 1843-44, and was there ordained as an evangelist in the spring of 1843; in Brownston, La., 1844-45; in Wadsworth, Ohio, 1845-46. Finding that his health required a change of climate, he returned to Vermont in 1846, and was acting pastor at Danville four months, and at Enosburgh three months. At Enosburgh he received a call to the pastorate, which he declined, but by mutual agreement he was constituted pastor by vote of the church, with the privilege on either side of dissolving the relation upon three months' notice.
He preached at Enosburgh, from March 1st, 1847 to June 1, 1851, and then became acting pastor at Newport, where he remained four years, during the last three of which he preached on alternate Sabbaths in Newport
938 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
and Brighton. In the summer of 1855 he removed to Iowa. He preached in Iowa City five months, in Waterloo seven months, and about 1st June, 1856, became acting pastor at Steamboat Rock, where he remained till his death.
Died in Burlington, May 23, 1866, Mrs. Caroline E. T. Clarke, wife of Gen. D. W. C. Clarke. Mrs. Clarke was highly and variedly accomplished, a fine singer, very, we have been told; quite an amateur painter; the principal and back-ground altar-picture in St. Mary' Church, this city, of the crucifixion, was executed by her; and she was an occasional poetic contributor of the New York Tribune, and other journals of the day. "Lizzie Maitland," a Catholic tale, by Mrs. Clarke, and for which Mr. O. A. Brownson, who appears to have had a vivid appreciation of her literary talent, wrote the preface, was published by James B. Kirker and Co., New York, some years since—ten, fifteen or more. Mrs. Clarke had about this time made a profession of the Catholic faith, and was buried from St. Mary's Church with the last solemn rites of her church.
Aug. 12, 1866, Charles Miller, proprietor of the American Hotel in Burlington, aged 37. His death was regretted in the community, as he was one of the most popular and enterprising young men of BurrIngton. To Mr. Miller we are indebted for the new photographic view of Burlington College, from which the plate was engraved for this volume.
Dec. 4, 1886, Charles Allen, formerly of Burlington, in his 52d year, another one of the benefactors of this work; a paper from whom appears among the biographies of Burlington. We record with sincere sorrow all such deaths, and as our last tribute of respect write them upon the historic page of our State.
Also in 1866, Mrs. Lucia Hemenway, wife of Rev. Asa Hemenway, formerly of the American Board of Foreign Missions, aged 54. We first knew Mrs. Hemenway in the autumn of 1859, in her very rural home in the little mountain town of Ripton, Addison County, where her husband was engaged in the labors of the Home Mission—his health having failed in Siam. For our name and for our cause, we were made cordially welcome; and it was a pleasant Indian summer day we passed in this precious household and the little village of then seven tenements among the mountains, one of the pictures of Vermont and our labors that amid constantly changing scenes does not fade away. Mrs. Hemenway became the lady assistant also to gather subscriptions, and from this sparsely populated town not long after sent to us 20 names, with advance payment.
Mrs. Mary A. Pitkin, also late of Burlington, widow of Dr. Pitkin, we would not close this volume without at least the acknowledgment that to her we are indebted for our first thirty to forty subscribers in Burlington. Later she removed to Morrisville in Morristown, Lamoille County, to reside with her then late widowed sister, Mrs. Robinson, at whose home she died about two years since, aged about 51, we think. She was an intelligent and amiable Christian lady, and left one son who is a physician, and was a surgeon in the late war.
Died Jan. 6, 1864, Mrs. Clarissa Lyman, aged 83 years.
December 10, 1864, Andrew Burritt, aged 55, an upright and intelligent citizen.
In Winooski (Burlington) Mrs. Hannah Washburn, aged 81, Aug. 18, 1864.
Dec. 7. 1866, Mrs. Hannah Fiske, wife of the late Benjamin Fiske, aged 64.
Biographies are promised to this work for the scientific and pre-eminently scholarly James A. Read, son of the Hon. Daniel Read, who has contributed so many valuable pages to this work—and of Col. Bowdish and others who fell a sacrifice to freedom in the war of the late rebellion, and which may appear in the continued military chapters, in the second or third volume of this work.
Epitaph in Green Mountain Cemetery, on the tombstone of the first settler in the town of Burlington.
"STEPHEN LAWRENCE, Esq.,
died April 2, 1789,
Æ 47 years.
He was the first man who with his family
settled in Burlington,
This stone is erected to his memory
Reader, mark the mighty change produced
in 28 years."
ANOTHER PAPER PUBLISHED IN BURLINGTON.
From a letter from Rev. D. T. Taylor, of Rouse's Point:
"I wish to say that the list of papers or periodicals printed in Burlington, which appears in No. VI. of your valuable Magazine, is not a full one, as I am able to add the following, viz: The Scribbler, 8 vo. of pp. 16, published weekly or semi-monthly by samuel Hull Wilcocke. It was printed in Burlington during the years 1821-22, and removed from there Dec. 1, 1823. It was a satirical slang sheet, and the editor bore the assumed name of Lewis Luke Marcellus, Esq. Col. R. G. Stone, of Plattsburgh, of the Republican at Plattsburgh, N. Y., has several volumes and can give you the date of its establishment at Burlington. I present a full history of the green fellow in my History of Champlain. He published the first newspaper ever printed in my native town at Rouse's Point, N. Y."
COUNTY ITEMS. 939
Killed at the battle Gettysburgh, July 3d, Serg't G. H. Duncan—oldest son of G. M. and A. M. Duncan, of Winooski, Vt., aged 32 years.
Funeral at his father's residence, July 26th after, at 2 o'clock P. M.
The subject of the above notice, late in the afternoon of the third inst., fell, from a wound received in the head while gallantly charging the enemy's line. He was riding by his Captain's side at the time, who justly says, in a letter of condolence to his parents: "I had scarcely an officer so admired by the men, so freely trusted by superiors, and so loved by all with whom he came in contact, as he." A just tribute to a faithful officer— a trusty friend and a true man. But he has fallen in the morning of life and sealed with his life's blood that cause which called him from a fond loving home, to strike for God and Liberty. I knew this young man long and well—knew him when a mere youth— knew him in the intimate capacity of a pupil, and having known him thus it is but a pleasure to testify to his great worth of head and heart."
With no stain upon his moral character—with a well cultivated intellect—with a heart ever alive to every tender sympathy—with a nature stamped with the broad seal of God's nobility, he is called from earth to heaven.
"Green be the grace that grows over his grave, and soft the breezes that fan his last resting place," but greener be the memories and softer the whispering reminiscences that cluster around our departed son, brother and friend.
Since the record of Charlotte history, written out by the Rev. B. D. Ames. the town has witnessed the shocking murder of Mr. Drum, a returned soldier, shot by Mr. Burns with whom he had had a recent quarrel, as he was passing his house in the evening. Mr. Drum is reported to have been a peaceable man and to have fought well in the battle of Gettysburgh. He left a wife and quite a family of small children.
COL. JACOB ROLFE.
From the proceedings of the Grand Commandery of the State of Vermont.
Col. Jacob Rolfe was born in Canterbury, N. H., March 12th, 1790. He settled in Colchester at the age of 18, in which place he resided most of the time until his death. He filled all the various town offices of that town by turn; was a member of the Legislature in 1844, 1845, and 1846, and was twice chosen delegate to the Constitutional Convention. He also filled various offices in the militia of the State, and was chosen Colonel, Jan, 14th, 1832. He was Generalissimo of Burlington Commandery from 1854 to the date of his death. In politics. he was a Democrat, and was always highly respected by the Democracy of his country. He died in Colchester, Jan. 3d, 1864, in the 74th year of his age, sincerely lamented by the Masonic Fraternity and by all his acquaintances and townsmen. His remains were interred with Masonic honors.
DR. JOHN S. WEBSTER.
Dr. John S. Webster, Past Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery of Vermont, was born in Allentown, N. H., January 2d, 1796. He studied medicine with Doctors Ainsworth and Cobb, of Milton, Vt., and Dr. Nathan R. Smith, of Burlington, Vt., and was admitted to practice in 1823, and received the degree of M. D. in 1824. After a brief residence at Milton and Highgate, Vt., he located for the practice of his profession at Berkshire, Vt., in 1824, where he continued to reside until 1838, filling in the mean time for several years, the office of Deputy Collector of Vermont from the year 1825, and serving as Town Representative of Berkshire in the years 1836 and 1837. He removed to Colchester in March, 1838, and represented that town in the State Legislature in the years 1841 and 1842. He was elected Commander of Burlington Commandery No. 2, at its organization in 1851, which position he filled till the year 1861 when he declined a re-election. He was also Deputy Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery of Vermont from 1853 to 1861. He was a faithful and zealous Sir Knight, and did much to promote the cause of Knighthood in our State. His death occurred in Colchester Dec. 30, 1863. His remains were interred with Masonic honors, and were followed to the grave by a large concourse of citizens and the Masonic Fraternity.
Hinesburgh appears from the agricultural papers of the state to have a successful cheese-factory establishment, where a large amount of the article has been turned out for the past two years, 1865 and 1866, or more.
The following tribute to the memory of the late Lieut. Blodgett, U. S. A., a native Huntington, is from the pen of James O. Grady, Esq., from Burlington, of the Commissary Department at Washington, at the time. Lieut. Blodgett, as his father and family, was also, and had been at the time
940 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
of his death, for some years a resident of Burlington. A biography promised by G. B. Sawyer, Esq., for the Gazetteer, is now under preparation, and may appear in our military department hereafter.
TO THE MEMORY OF COL. BLODGETT.
Is he gone from among us? the bravest and purest,
The one who upheld our bright banner the surest—
Is he gone from our circle away?
Oh God! with such instincts of liberty rife,
The foremost in danger, the first in the strife,
Mute, cold in his coffin to day.
Mourn, that true valor received such a blow,
The loved one is fallen, the lofty lies low.
The gallant, good heart that was fitted to clamber
To loftiest heights, now lies cold in the chamber
Of death, as the basest can be,
Heroically battling in liberty's cause,
For country, for union, for justice, for laws—
He gave, that the bound might be free.
The noble young hero! the patriot chief
To praise him is some, oh! how little relief!
The sun first illumines the top of the mountain,
And pure is the stream from the high rocky fountain;
So high and so pure was his aim.
His course it was finished
With faith undiminished,
Ere yet it was noon of his fame.
Clay ! Clay ! !
As well might you steal the broad sun from the day,
As the humorous spirit of Blodgett away.
GEORGE LEE LYMAN, M. D.*
BY REV. C. C. PARKER, OF WATERBURY.
Dr. George Lee Lyman was the oldest son of Mr. Daniel Lyman, and was born in Jericho, Feb. 23, 1818. His mother, whose maiden name was Lee, died in his infancy. When he was but a lad, Jericho academy was established at the Center, some two miles and a half from his father's residence, in which he early became a student. Under the careful and judicious training of the principal, Mr. Simeon Bicknell, there were soon developed in him scholarly traits of a high order. He entered the University of Vermont in 1837, and was graduated in 1841. As a classical scholar, from the first, he stood at the head of his class—having a remarkable aptitude for the acquisition of language. He also took a high standing in the departments of metaphysics and morals, having been an ardent admirer of Dr. James Marsh and his system of philosophy. The class to which Mr. Lyman belonged was the last class to which Dr. Marsh gave his full course of instruction.
After his graduation Mr. Lyman taught in Jericho, Burlington, Clarenceville, C. E, Hinesburgh and Underhill. He studied medicine in the medical college at Pittsfield, Mass., and practiced mainly in his native town, Jericho, and vicinity.
Dr. Lyman carried his scholarly habits and tastes with him through life He was a diligent student of Plato and Aristotle, of Homer, Hesiod, and nearly all clasical authors, also of Philo and the Church fathers. During his last year, his leisure was employed in acquiring the German language.
As a physician he was skillful and faithful, frank and honest; doubtless too frank and honest for the largest practice. If there was nothing the matter, he frankly, perhaps bluntly said so. If there was no help, he was equally candid. He wasted no time or medicine where no good was to be done. Had he given himself wholly to his profession, as in his last year he was beginning to do, he doubtless would have won, by his sterling sense and honesty, as wide a practice as he could have desired.
He was constitutionally indisposed to floating with the current. It was much more consonant to him to row against wind and tide. Hence he was rarely in political or religious sympathy with the community where he lived. Had he lived in the South, there is little doubt he would have been the stoutest and boldest of Unionists. Living at the North, where the current was all for the Union, he was bold and outspoken in his sympathy with the South. Notwithstanding this characteristic, he was the truest and most constant of friends, with a heart singularly tender and kind in all the relations in life. He hated all shams and tricks with a perfect hatred.
He married, August 15, 1844, Mabel Almina, daughter of Lyman Field, who died Oct. 3, 1845, leaving an infant daughter that survived her a few months. Aug. 27, 1846, he married Mary Clarinda, daughter of Jedediah Boynton, Esq., of Hinesburgh, who died Sept. 7, 1858. Dr. Lyman died at Jericho Corners, June 4, 1863. He had buried one daughter, by his second wife. One survives him.
* The historian of Jericho in this volume.—Ed.
COUNTY ITEMS. 941
REV. ALBERT SMITH, D. D.
BY REV. P. H. WHITE, OF COVENTRY.
Rev. Albert Smith, D. D., died in Monticello, Ill., April 24, 1863, aged 59 years, 2 months and 9 days.
He was a son of Harry and Phebe (Henderson) Smith, and was born at Milton, Vt., February 15, 1804. He was clerk in a store at Vergennes, Vt., till he arrived at the age of majority, and it was his intention to make the mercantile business his pursuit for life; but finding no satisfactory opening, he commenced the study of law at Hartford, Ct. When about twenty-three years old, he experienced a change of heart, and turned his attention to the ministry. He was graduated at Middlebury in 1831, taught a year in Hartford, Ct., and Medford, Mass.; and commenced the study of theology at New Haven, but removed to Andover, where he was graduated in 1835.
He was ordained pastor of the Congregational church in Williamstown, Mass., February 10, 1836, and was dismissed May 6, 1838, to become Professor of Languages and Belles Letters in Marshall College, at Mercersburgh, Pa. In 1840 he was called to the Professorship of Rhetoric and English Literature in Middlebury College, where he remained about four years. He was installed pastor of the Congregational church in Vernon, Ct., in May, 1845, and dismissed in October, 1854, on account of declining health. The winter of 1854-55, he spent in Peru, Ill., preaching as he was able. A part of the following year he spent in Duquoisne, in the service of the Home Missionary Society. In the fall of 1855 he was settled at Monticello, and there remained till his death, for several years prior to which he was in feeble health.
"He was a man of uncommon intellectual power, a superior scholar, and in all respects an admirable man. With a mind highly disciplined, and accustomed to close logical reasoning, and stored with varied and extensive knowledge, his sermons, while eminently evangelical, were rich in matter and conclusive in argument. By some they were sometimes regarded as too profound, if not incomprehensible. But to the cultivated mind they were rich and instructive. He was a man of system and method. Everything had its time and place, and was sure to be attended to. As a man and friend he was genial and sincere, in prosperity a monitor, and in adversity a tender sympathizer and wise counsellor."
He received the degree of D. D., from Shurtliff College, in 1860.
The following names of the original proprietors of Shelburne were not received in time to include with the very valuable record by Mr. Thayer, in this volume.
"Jesse Hallock, Steward Southgate, John Southgate, Richard Gleason, Richard Gleason, jr., Nathaniel Potter, John Bond, jr., John Potter, Antipas Earl, Samuel Seabury, Thomas Darling, Samuel Hight, Gilbert Tolton, Simon Dakin, Joshua Dakin, Patridge Thatcher, James Bradshaw, Ebenezer Sealy, Samuel Waters, David Ferris, Joshua Franklin, Thomas Franklin, jr., Silas Mead, Nathaniel Potter, jr., Robert Southgate, William Cornal, John Thomas, jr. John Huching, Stephen Field, Nathaniel Howland, Haddock Bowne, Peter Tatten, Benjamin Clapp, Tideman Hull, Jos. Hull, Lewis Cammell, Sidmon Hull, jr., Thomas Hull, John Carnal, Edward Burling, John Cromwell, Thos. Chield, John Burling, Ebenezer Preston, Uria Field, Isaac Underhill, Joseph Parsall, John Akin, John Cannon, Jacob Underhill, Zebulon Ferris, Daniel Merit, Jonathan Akin, Jeremiah Griffin, Read Ferris, Elijah Soty, John Hallock, Benjamin Ferris, Benjamin Ferris, jr., Samuel Hills, David Akin, Hon. Holcom Temple, Theodore Atchison, Mark H. J. Wentworth, John Fisher, Esq."
We have also lately received the following communication from Mr. Thayer in relation to the murder of Mr. Safford, of Shelburne, and confession of the murder:
"In the spring of 1827, the body of an unknown man was found in a piece of hemlock woods, directly east from where Hiram Blin now resides, by Mr. Jonathan Lyon. The unknown had evidently been murdered sometime before and lain there during the past winter. The discovery soon went out, and the citizens generally gathered to investigate and make what discoveries they could in the matter, and a paper was found a few rods from the body that had evidently been taken from a watch and that came from a goldsmith in Vergennes. This paper was taken to Vergennes, and it was ascertained that it had been put into a watch they had repaired, about the 1st of December before, for a person that had been laboring the season previous for a farmer, in Addison, by the name of Safford; and, on further inquiry, it was ascertained that he started about the first of December, on foot, for Sutton, C. E., where he formerly belonged and where his connections resided; and it was also ascertained that two men, one bearing the description of the murdered man, and the other a rather tall, poorly-clad, hard-looking fellow, in company, passed through Charlotte and Shelburne, going north, on Thanksgiving day, it being the first Thursday in December. They called at the public house in the forenoon, and at the hotel in Shelburne, where
942 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
they took dinner, and the one supposed to have been the murdered man offered some plated spoons for sale at the hotel, but they were not purchased. They went north towards Burlington, and no more was thought or heard of them until this body was found the next April.
A short distance north of Shelburne village the road from Williston intersects with the main road leading to Burlington, where the road leading to Burlington takes a turn, and strangers often take the wrong one, and it was evident these men took the Williston road and traveled about half a mile on that, as a woman residing on that road recollected of having seen two men, bearing the description of these two strangers, on the afternoon of the preceding Thanksgiving clay, standing in the road near her dwelling a short time, apparently in consultation, and then leaving the road and crossing the fields in the direction of the piece of woods where the body was found—and this would be a much shorter route, on their way to Burlington, than to go back to the main road. Safford being of rather a weak mind (as it was ascertained) was probably purposely led away by his companion on this wrong road, and then into this pine woods and there murdered by him,
Safford's friends in Canada supposing him to be in Addison, and those in Addison supposing he had gone to Canada, no inquiry had been made for him from any direction, and it was not known, until his body was found, that any thing had befallen him.
An inquest was holden on the body, but no knowledge could be had as to who the murderer was. A surgical examination showed that there had been several severe blows, apparently with a heavy stick, upon the head of the murdered man. Much inquiry and investigation was made in regard to the matter to no purpose, and it was generally supposed that there was no way to bring out this hidden scene of blood until the light of the judgment day should make all things known; but the Lord has means by which the sins of men will be found out.
The fact of this murder was disclosed by the murderer himself, on his death bed, some 28 years after its committal. A man—a miseral specimen of humanity—in Sutton, C. E., by the name of Coats Barnes, acknowledged himself the miserable culprit, in the autumn of 1865, after having lain three days in a dying state; still living, contrary to the expectation of all, he informed those present that he could not die until he had made a disclosure of his having murdered Mr. Safford at Shelburne, supposing at the time that he had quite a sum of money with him, but found a note for $100 and one quarter of a dollar in his pockets, and a few other articles of but little value, after which confession he immediately died."
We learn that a somewhat remarkable land-slide took place on the farm of Mr. Newell in Shelburne on Saturday last.* As described to us, some five acres of land suddenly sank away, as if let drop by the running out or change of place of a supporting quicksand. A small wooded hill was cut in halves by the operation, one-half remaining at its old level, the other dropping a number of feet and leaving a perpendicular face of earth, reaching above the tops of the trees which crowned the now sunken half of the hill top. Some of these trees were split lengthwise by the operation, one-half remaining up and the other going down, with their respective sections, much as some families here have been divided by the war. The bed of the La Plot river was also raised twelve or fifteen feet in spots, not by the earth sliding in but by an apparent crowding up of the bed of the stream. On the whole it was apparently a singular affair. No one saw it take place, but the hour at which it occurred is fixed by some workmen who having left with a load of hay returned to find their field of labor some ways below where they left it.—Free Press.
COL. UDNEY HAY,
Commissary of Vermont, lived and died after the revolutionary war, at Underhill. Before he came to this state he lived at Albany, and consequently sympathized with the York party in regard to their assumed jurisdiction over Vermont. From our venerable friend Henry Stevens, antiquarian, and also from G. B. Sawyer, Esq., of Burlington, we have the following description and incident: He was a gentleman, an inposing man, rather of the Matthew Lyon cast. During the war he made purchases for the army in the South. He was opposed to the Constitution, and to the administration of Washington and Adams, and continued to the end a politician. His rank was Quartermaster Gen‑
* We have not the date, but it occurred sometime during the late war, or between 1861 or '62 and 1864.
ESSEX COUNTY CHAPTER. 943
oral during the war, which gave him the rank of Colonel. He was descended from the distinguished family of Hay in Scotland, and was highly educated and distinguished for his own talent. While Commissary for the army and resident in New York he presented a petition, the object of which was to procure the sanction of purchases for the army in this state "to the pretended Legislature of Vermont." The stern old fathers of Vermont felt the insult and were in a dilemma how to rebuke the same and yet secure the trade, till Matthew Lyon suggested that they accept his petition with the recommend that he should address his next petition to the great grand assembly of Vermont.
From the Vermont Record.
Robert Hanniford, of Underhill, now (January, 1867) at the ripe age of 99, hale and hearty, in the full possession of his intellect, east his vote for Washington, and for every occupant of the presidential chair except Pierce and Buchanan.
ESSEX COUNTY CHAPTER.
BY H. A. CUTTING.
The lands now in the area of Essex county were, previous to 1764, supposed to be in the New Hampshire grants, and some of the land was granted by the Governor of New Hampshire to different parties. It was, however. included in New York in the year above named, and March 7th, 1770, the government of that state erected the county of Gloucester, which included the land in the N. E. part of the state, Essex within its limits. In 1777, the General Convention of Vermont declared themselves independent, and in 1779 divided the state into two counties, and each county into two shires. Essex was then within the limits of Cumberland county, in the shire of Newbury. In 1781 this county was divided into Windham, Windsor and Orange, Essex being within the limits of Orange, with Newbury still for its shire. The county of Caledonia was incorporated Nov. 8th, 1796, and included all the N. E. part of the state within its limits. Essex county was, however, soon incorporated, and the county officers were appointed in the October session of the legislature in 1800. Essex county is about 45 miles from N. to S. and 23 from E. to W. It lies between Lat. 44° 20' and 45°, and Lon. 4° 51' and 5° 28' E. from Washington. It is bounded N. by Canada East and S. by the Connecticut river, bordering its bank for more than 65 miles, S. W. by Caledonia county, and W. by Orleans county. The land is generally fertile, though in many parts stony. Along the valley of the Connecticut it is beautifully picturesque, and no more romantic scenery can be found. Guildhall was chosen as its shire, and has thus far been unchanged, but there is a strong wish among many at present to change it to Island Pond. This county was never much settled by Indians, but was used as a hunting ground, and through it was the main road for the St. Francis tribe of Canada and those living in the valley of the Connecticut. It was a while disputed territory between them, and we have every reason to suppose that there were many ambuscades and trials of skill between the Indians of Coos and St. Francis, within its borders. There have been a few stone tomahawks and arrow points found within the limits of the county, but Indian relics are rare. There are several anecdotes concerning the aborigines, but they appear in the town histories. As a considerable portion of the county is still a wilderness, we have four unorganized towns—Averill, Ferdinand, Lewis and Norton, and three gores, viz. Avery's, Warner's and Warren's. Averill was chartered June 23, 1762, is 6 miles square, and bounded N. E. by Canaan, S. E. by Lemington, S. W. by Lewis, and N. W. by Avery's gore and Norton. It is well watered and well timbered, but broken and uneven in surface and contains but few inhabitants.
Ferdinand was chartered Oct. 13th, 1761, to contain 23 square miles, but as a portion of Wenlock has been added it now contains much more than that. It is bounded N. by Lewis, E. by Brunswick and Maidstone, S. by Granby and E. Haven, and W. by Newark and Brighton. It contains several ponds and streams, which are well stocked with splendid trout, making this town the best fishing ground in the section.
Lewis was chartered June 29th, 1762, is a mountainous township 6 miles square, bounded N. E. by Averill, S. E. by Bloomfield, S. W. by Ferdinand and Brighton, and N. W. by Avery's gore. This township is well timbered with pine, but the land is not considered to be of the best quality. Norton is