950 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
lying on his back, his rugged profile intent skyward. Many other views might be pointed out, but to gain a good idea of them it requires a visit in person.
BY HON. WILLIAM BURBANK.
This town is situated on the Connecticut River; and is bounded W. by the unorganized township of Lewis, N. by Lemington and S. by Brunswick. It was chartered by Gov. Wentworth, June, 1762, under the name of Minnehead. By the terms of the charter the township was to be 6 miles square, and divided into 70 shares. The grantees were 63 in number.* 500 acres, which was to be accounted two shares, were reserved for the Governor's right, one share for the propagation of the gospel in foreign parts, one for a glebe for the benefit of the Church of England, one for the first settled minister in the town, and one for the benefit of schools in town. It appears the town was first surveyed in 1796, by Andrew Beers. This survey was unsatisfactory, and in 1798 E. W. Judd was appointed to make a new one. This survey also proving unsatisfactory, Jonas Baker was appointed to re-survey the same in 1802, and the township was run out into lots of 112 acres each. By whom or at what time the town was first settled, we have no definite data. But from the best information obtained it is reasonable to suppose that Thomas Lamkin was the first settler, and came into town in 1796. Who his first associates were does not appear to be definitely known, but in 1802 there had been nearly 30 "pitches" made in town. Among the settlers at this date were Gaius Kibbe, James P. Frazier, J. J. French, Peter Mills, Stone Mills, Eben Wright, Raymond Fuller, Daniel Holbrook and Samuel Healey. Joseph Stevens also came not far from this time. He and Mr. Healey** are the only ones now remaining; both are 80 years old or upwards. But few of the early settlers remained in town for any great length of time. They commenced under disadvantageous circumstances, and many became discontented and left, some allowing their lands to be sold for taxes. From 1812 to 1820 the population scarcely increased at all. In 1830 the population numbered 150. What it numbers at the present time (April 1862) is not accurately known; but there are from 70 to 75 families.† Only that portion in the vicinity of the Connecticut and Nulhegan rivers has as yet become settled, but the town is gradually increasing in population and wealth, and by the stimulus imparted to it by the construction of the Grand Trunk Railroad (which passes through the southerly portion) is becoming a town of considerable importance, so that no town in the county now presents greater inducements to settlers.
At the junction of the Nulhegan and Connecticut rivers the Messrs. Baldwin have a superior establishment for manufacturing lumber of all kinds, furnishing employment to numerous hands, and a good market for all such as are disposed to turn an honest penny by drawing their spare lumber during the winter months. The market for all kinds of produce is also rendered excellent.
The surface of the town is uneven, presenting almost every variety of scenery. A few meadow or interval farms are found on the banks of the Connecticut and Nulhegan rivers, but in many places the upland bluffs extend to the rivers. The soil is mainly good; in certain sections it is very excellent, while in other sections it appears only valuable for pasturage and timber. A large portion of the township is covered with valuable timber of various kinds, for which a branch of the Nulhegan river, which passes through the center, furnishes conveyance to the mills. There are other streams of sufficient power for manufacturing purposes, some of which have been improved. The number of lumber mills in town is now four, being located in the different neighborhoods in town. There are numerous other little streams formed by springs of the
* GRANTEES OF BLOOMFIELD, ORIGINALLY MINNEHEAD,— Rev. Noah Waddams, Rev. Elijah Sill, Rev. Joel Bardwell, Rev. Sylvanus Osborne, Agus Judson, Beach Tomlinson, Elijah Mills, Samuel Jones, Samuel Hurd, David Baldwin, jr., Medad Wright, Ephraim Beers, Nathan Beardsley, Brewster Dayton, Stephen Frost, John Haines, Thomas Wooster, Joseph Holbrook, Israel Jonhson, Samuel Chatfield, jr., Wooster Twitchell, Joseph Davis, Samuel Nichols, Benjamin Bennet, Heth Garlick, Reuben Booth, Mark Langdon, Daniel Bostwick, Daniel Pickett, Samuel Canfield, Joseph Wheaton, Samuel Mallery, Stephen Morehouse, Capt. Nathaniel Bosworth, Daniel Averill, Moses Averill, Elias Kene, David Hawley, Josiah Caswell, Daniel Kene, Stephen Nobles, Israel Nobles, Morgan Nobles, Zepaniah Branch, Benjamin Mallery, Butler Mallery, Capt. Elijah Whittlesey, Thomas Beeman, Aaron Phelps, jr., Samuel Prindle, Capt. Nathan Hicok, John Marsh, Portsmouth, Joseph Calhoun, John Calhoun, William Cogswell, Samuel Averill, Hon. Theodore Atkinson, William Temple, Esq., Richard Webird, Esq., Daniel Warner, Esq., Zachariah Nobles, David Calhoun, James Calhoun.
** Both since deceased.
† In 1860, population 320.
purest water, gushing out and trickling down the hill-sides of almost every lot.
BY REV. ABNER HOWARD.
The Methodist Episcopal church in Bloomfield have one house of worship, built in 1859—the only meeting-house north of Guildhall on the Vermont side of the Connecticut river, a distance of nearly 40 miles. Previous to that time public worship was held in school-houses, dwelling-houses and barns, and sometimes in the grove. Since the conference of 1860 Bloomfield has been a charge, and regular Sabbath preaching has been granted them; previously, though regular preaching, yet not more than half the time generally.
Before 1844, and while the New Hampshire and Vermont Conferences were one, Bloomfield was connected with all the towns on both sides of Connecticut river as far down as Lancaster on the New Hampshire side, and Lunenburg on the Vermont side; and at an early date included those towns.
Hence, previous to 1844 the first name by which the circuit was known was Lancaster, then Monadnoc from a mountain of that name in Lemington, a town north of this on the Connecticut; later Columbia, which name is retained on tho New Hampshire side of the river. Since 1844, the time that the New Hampshire and Vermont Conference was divided, the circuit has been known as Guildhall circuit, which included the towns north to Canada, with a part of Harriford in Canada, till 1860, when Guildhall was act to Lunenburgh.
For want of statistical matter this account must needs be imperfect; yet many facts of interest have been gleaned from the memory of the aged, worthy of a place in the history of the state and church; these with the written records will be of interest to the present inhabitants of the town and perhaps the future, if none other.
Among the first settlers of the town memory holds sacred the visits and preaching of the man of God. Among whom are Hale Whiting and Noah Buffington, who must have held meetings more than 50 years ago and probably 60. A Mr. Lack was associated with them also. These were local preachers, we believe. After these were Ezra Kellogg, —— Plumly and H. B. H. Norris, all of whom labored with more or less success.
Not till 1824, however, have we accounts of a society being formed in town. During the spring, summer and fall of 1824, a very general revival was enjoyed through this town, reaching to others; and a society was then formed, which has continued until the present. The number that composed the first society we have not the means of knowing, neither of the additions and removals by death and otherwise.
At present the records show the number of members 51, not all however in Bloomfield.
Since the time of the revival in 1824, the following named preachers and others have labored in town, viz Chester Levings, who seemed the principal means in the hands of God of starting the good work in 1824, though in the latter part of that revival Nathaniel Norris, Joseph Baker and Father Marshall of Stratford, N. H., the latter named administered the ordinance of baptism to the first converts in that revival, Mr. Levings first came to this place as an exhorter or local preacher, but joined Conference and was stationed on the circuit afterward in connection with Joseph Baker. When brother Levings left, Benjamin Brown and N. Norris followed with good success. B. Brown located after having labored two years in Brunswick. Charles Cowen and a brother Latham followed them, with what success we are not informed, nor yet how long they tarried. In 1830 we find a brother Gleason and Holman Drew, the latter remained two years, much beloved and full of faith and good works. Then comes a brother Mann, of whom we know but little. Not far from this time came Caleb Fales, who has been battling for Christ and humanity until the present time. During a few years a link or two in the chain of itinerancy is missing.
A brother Maseure comes in previous to 1844, at which time the Vermont and New Hampshire Conference was divided, at which time Ira Beard was stationed by Conference and Ira Carter sent by the presiding elder at Guildhall.
The following year Ira Beard has the circuit without a co-laborer—a distance of nearly 40 miles. I. Beard stands connected with Guildhall circuit the third year; asso- ciated with him during his second year is the name of D. S. Dexter. This brings us to 1847. John Gale has the circuit from
952 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.
1847 to 1848. As his successor James Smith labors two years, after whom comes Adna Newton. During brother N's time of labor a parsonage house was built, and consumed by fire after the whole was completed; and another was erected in its place under brother Newton's supervision. L. P. Cushman followed A. Newton in 1852, and labored with zeal one year from Guildhall to Harriford, C. E. In 1853 Alexander McMullin and Abner Howard were appointed to this circuit, during w'nich time three-fourths of the Sabbaths were spent in this town. In 1854 A. McMullin has the entire charge. During the time of brother McMullin's labors a very good revival was enjoyed in this town, and several were added to the church. Joseph Enright followed Mr. McMullin, and labored one year. The following year Conference left the circuit to be supplied, which was done by a Mr. Little from Concord Biblical Institute, N. H.
In 1857 the charge again is supplied by J. Adams, from Guildhall.
In 1858 John W. Bridge labored with very good success; his labors were confined to this town and Lemington during this and the following year, during which the society built their house of worship. While Mr. Bridge was with this people the interests of Christ's kingdom were revived.
In 1860 Abner Howard was appointed to this charge, since which time his labors have been confined to this town. His term of labor will expire at the close of this conference year, which ends in April, 1892. In 1862 Harry R. Stevens was appointed to this charge, and labored two years with good success. Since which time the church has been supplied by Rev. Moses Pattee. The church, during the past five years, has greatly improved, and is now in a very prosperous condition.
The following are those who have labored in town as presiding elders. Mr. Savage, John Lord, Mr. Scarrit, Mr. Hoyt, C. D. Cahoon, S. P. Williams, A. T. Bullard, J. Currier, S. Chamberlin and T. Merrill, whose services will close with the conference year.
In 1844, or about that time, a small Calvinist Baptist church was formed here, partly of members previously connected with a Baptist church in Stratford, N. H. These churches were irregularly supplied for some years by elder Abram Bedell and Rev. G. W. Butler and others. This church has a new and commodious house of worship at North Stratford, and is supplied by Rev. Charles Walker.†
LIST OF SOLDIERS IN THE LATE WAR.
Alonzo A. Martin, Ezra W. Martin, Alvin Martin,* Charles Snow,* Sumner Snow, Oliver Morse.* Daniel Morse,* Nathan M. Johnson, Newell Stevens, Nelson Noyes,† William Cooper,† Calvin Fuller, Myron C. Fuller, Stephen Fuller,† William Robinson,† Eliphalet P. Moulton, George A. Currier, Album A. Carrier, John W. Stevens, Isaac M. Wood, Samuel O. Shoff-21. In addition to the above, there were six hired substitutes credited to Bloomfield-27; and Charles B. Silver, Carlos T. Pulsifer, Frank Pulsifer, Walter S. Johnson,† Edwin Holbrook, Enoch C. Fuller,† and Rev. Selden B. Carrier, all residents of Bloomfield, served with honor in the war, but were credited elsewhere.
BY N. P. BOWMAN.
Brighton is situated in the western part of Essex County, in latitude 44° 45', and longitude 5° 6'. The township is nearly square, the four corners representing the four cardinal points of the compass. It is bounded N. E. by Lewis' and Avery's gore, S. E. by Ferdinand, S. W. by Newark and Westmore, and N. W. by Morgan and Charleston. It was originally named Random, by Hon. Joseph Brown, from its being a random purchase from an agent in Providence, R. I. The charter, signed by the Hon. Thomas Chittenden, Governor, and Thomas Tolman, Secretary, was granted to Col. Joseph Nightingale and 65 others, Aug. 30, 1781. The first proprietors' meeting was held in Concord, Vt., March 29, 1804. James Whitlaw was elected moderator, and Nathaniel Jenks, proprietors' clerk. The town was organized in March, 1832. Joseph Melendy was chosen first town clerk; John Bishop, Wm. Washburn and John Stevens selectmen.
The September following Timothy Corey was elected representative, and the same year, Nov. 3d, the name of the town was
† February, 1807, this church is now supplisd by Rev. Geo. A. Glines.
* Killed in battle.
† Died of disease.